I'm sorry, am I missing something key to this entire franchise, or is Urobuchi just an idiot writer...

I'm sorry, am I missing something key to this entire franchise, or is Urobuchi just an idiot writer? Because is he seriously using a character whose job entails locking up and even executing people who have yet to actually commit any crime, because a bunch of brains in jars deemed them 'latent criminals', as a vehicle to preach about the importance of democracy and just law?

Other urls found in this thread:

the-artifice.com/psycho-pass-the-ethics-of-an-ideal-society
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-06-12/the-literary-secrets-of-psycho-pass/.89123
byline.com/column/12/article/139
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The only problem is that tom cruise wasn't the main character.

>Urobuchi just an idiot writer?
Yes. He is a hack. But there will always be fags here that suck his dick to no end insisting he is great.

Minority Report was certainly always in the back of my mind the everytime I watched Psycho-Pass. It did this whole thing better, and it also didn't sprinkle book references everywhere in the writer's desperate attempt to show how sophisticated he is.

"Look guys, I'm the new Kenji Kamiyama!"

No Gen, you really aren't.

>it also didn't sprinkle book references everywhere in the writer's desperate attempt to show how sophisticated he is.
that's because philip k. dick was a fantastic writer, not a writer's little brother

According to some interview I read, the literary references were an adaptation thing, not even an Urobuchi thing. They weren't in his script. He said his literary inspirations were just Stephen King and VNs. Urobuchi isn't actually pretentious.

the-artifice.com/psycho-pass-the-ethics-of-an-ideal-society
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-06-12/the-literary-secrets-of-psycho-pass/.89123
byline.com/column/12/article/139

Kill yourselves you illiterate, plebeian retards.

>He said his literary inspirations were just Stephen King and VNs.
It's literally a fanfic of Equilibrium. Urobuchi admitted it himself. (but okay, that's a movie, so not a "literary" inspiration)

>locking up and even executing people who have yet to actually commit any crime, because a bunch of brains in jars deemed them 'latent criminals',
The characters are not handing out sentences for future crimes, they are protecting society from future criminals.
It's a different perspective.
The show points out that the brains don't need to be perfect in their judgements. It's just important that everybody thinks their judgement is important (and nobody is supposed to know it's brains).

>The characters are not handing out sentences for future crimes, they are protecting society from future criminals.
semantics.

>It's just important that everybody thinks their judgement is fixed
fixed.
I need sleep. Why can't I sleep?
I need a loli to hug so I can sleep.

No, not at all.

>No, not at all.
i wonder how it must feel to be this retarded. there is no practical or moral difference between handing out sentences for [future crimes] (by punishing criminals and therefore protecting society) and protecting society from future criminals who commit [future crimes], by punishing them, except perhaps for the difference in the level of accuracy and reliability of your future predictions.

When people are forbidden from driving their cars under the influence of alcohol, that's not meant to hurt those people. It's meant to protect everybody from the effect that a drunken driver can have on them.
This is basically the same thing, to the extreme.
>We don't trust you to handle this [this situation] without hurting yourself or others, so we are going to make sure that you won't.

the primary purpose of the justice system in minority report (and to some extent real life) is not to punish evildoers, it's to protect society from a crime, doling out justice is a secondary and less important function. in either story they're doing the same thing(fucking up dangerous people), to get the same result(safe society), for the same reason(prediction).

And yet you are complaining.

i'm complaining about you stupid. just go to sleep, it's 4 in the morning. how are you going to function tomorrow you shortsighted fuck?

kill yourself retard

At least I still have the ability to use capitalization.
Where are you trying to get this conversation? Are you just embarrassed you were wrong?

When they're massacring a bunch of frightened hostages because the stress has raised their hues and they've been judged potential future criminals, it's pretty clear who the monsters in this equation are (it isn't the hostages).

Obviously.
That scene was intended to show the system failing.
Didn't you notice that?

i'm 100% right like i always am. just stop posting you sad children

Woah, really makes you think...

Really? Because I recall the season ended with the 'improvement' that the system will now judge people as groups instead of as individuals. The idea that the system itself is inherently an abomination that shouldn't exist is never presented as an option.

>The idea that the system itself is inherently an abomination that shouldn't exist is never presented as an option.
It is, but Akane said she has no good alternative to replace it with. Shougo just wanted to destroy it and was about to welcome the anarchy that would have followed.

The point of the movie was very lazy world building:
Japan is protected by Sybil. Everywhere else is shit.

>byline.com/column/12/article/139
>Clearly this is a monstrous system.

Except it's never really presented as such. It doesn't help that the movie also presents everything outside of the system, literally the entire planet, as being a strawman of chaos and strife.

>the-artifice.com/psycho-pass-the-ethics-of-an-ideal-society
>For all its brilliance, Sibyl is shown several times to be a less than perfect system. Perhaps, then, Masaoka is simply an unfortunate casualty of error in the still-improving Sibyl System. However, this logic seems awfully convenient, and even flawed when one considers that the Sibyl System does have consciousness. The Sibyl System, though it bases it’s decisions on scientifically and logically sound grounds

It doesn't though. The entire concept is bunk. You can't reduce human beings to some series of calculations. Even if we accept that you magically can in the world of Psycho-Pass, the criteria used there is a joke. Witness an accident and the stress will make you more likely to be a criminal. Don't read the 'wrong' book, lest you start to have thoughts that clash with the 'benevolent' authoritarian society you live in. And if either of these things happen too much they won't send you to reeducation (oh, I mean 'therapy'), they'll just murder you on the spot with their ludicrous explodey meat guns.

>Except it's never really presented as such.
It is, just subtly.
For example half the fucking cast is prison inmates.

Yet going by the logic of the story, they are a potential threat to society. They may seem nice enough, but the system has deemed them a risk. And the system is shown to be fundamentally sound. It needs further tweaks and improvements, but it's not inherently wrong. They may be prison inmates, but we aren't really given evidence for most of them that they shouldn't be prison inmates.

>"Look guys, I'm the new Kenji Kamiyama!"
Why would a writer be the next director?