Kimi no na wa

Masterpiece.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ezwSykCjB10
youtu.be/EeRwJsjyoZs
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-20/makoto-shinkai-latest-film-is-poised-to-be-1st-non-miyazaki-anime-to-top-10-billion-yen/.106669
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
youtube.com/watch?v=6anRXzy93nM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty much. It's so good I do't even feel any heat from trolls. Everything they say just sounds like the worst bait possible.

Especially when numbers are on shinkais side

I'm still waiting for a proper rip to come out.

Yeah, the preview copy watermark was a bit detracting.

Story is terrible.

What in particular didn't you like, user?

That's what everyone said about 5 Centimeters Per Second and Children Who Chase Lost Voices but those weren't anything special.

I'll give Shinkai one last chance with this.

The only troll I've seen bash the movie that for some odd reason people actually listen to is this fag

youtube.com/watch?v=ezwSykCjB10

Super Mario has gotten kind of jaded in his old age.

I say he sounds more like a middle aged Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory

Agreed. There's no other word to describe it after all.

>Movie ends
>Credits run
>youtu.be/EeRwJsjyoZs
>mfw

It's his first decent work.

5cm/sec is dead boring only butthurt faggot feel with that shit.

Those final lyrics are amazing.

it's alright
we'll see how it fairs rewatched later without hype and memes

kills me that there isn't a proper rip of that screener dvd, quality is so bad. Is there a chance of the chinese leaker putting out a better release?

That title card makes me think
>fucking digital anime

Better than KnK

No shit sherlock.

Having watched both for the first time yesterday, Kimi is sooooo much better it's ridiculous. While 5 cm/s had decent themes the pacing was off, too much irrelevant details clouded the movie and the ending was essentially boring, not cause of what happened but the lack of any emotional buildup whatsoever.

I got around to watching Kotonoha no Niwa the other day and I thought it was better than Kimi no Na wa.

Different user, but I'll give it a shot.

The issue with the story is that a great deal of it lacks any kind of emotional justification or motivation. The whole subplot with the girls father just occurs for no reason and with no impact on the story other than a pretty flashback sequence and the implication that they somehow resolved their issues off screen. The big midpoint twist seemed like a cheap excuse to pad out the movie without having to write actual character development or conflict and the ending seems to happen multiple times before the movie decides to end.

Shinkai disagrees

>The whole subplot with the girls father just occurs for no reason and with no impact on the story other than a pretty flashback sequence and the implication that they somehow resolved their issues off screen.
Just like Real life desu.

>The big midpoint twist seemed like a cheap excuse to pad out the movie without having to write actual character development or conflict
How? The time difference made it interesting in the first place. If he just went there and they'd fuck each other's brain out, the movie would be like half as long.

>and the ending seems to happen multiple times before the movie decides to end.
???

It was typical Shinkai but with better animation.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-20/makoto-shinkai-latest-film-is-poised-to-be-1st-non-miyazaki-anime-to-top-10-billion-yen/.106669

The movie was pretty good, cant wait for th bd release next year.
Anyway, the ending was shit, its like he dont got guts to end his own movie. Why couldnt they at least kiss?

jesus fucking christ, it's like nobody on this board gets the point

The plot isn't focusing on the romance aspect. You had the whole motif of threads connecting people shoved down your face the entire time that you can't realise the plot is about a guy trying to hang onto a thread and never letting go, even going so far as to change history

>The plot isn't focusing on the romance aspect

I call bullshit!

Why does he talk like a pedant autist?

The romance is just the plot device, the focus is the struggle. If romance was the focus, there would have been a lot more shown of how they fell in love, rather than the implied love through the montage/older waitress hottie's question

If the main focus was on the struggle, the ending shouldn't have ended midway through the pay-off. It cheapens the journey Taki and Mitsuha went through and reduces their future relationship to an afterthought.

>Just like Real life desu.
That's a bullshit excuse and you know it. Fiction has no obligation to realism, especially if you're writing some keit-ai dimension hopping shit.

>The time difference made it interesting in the first place. If he just went there and they'd fuck each other's brain out, the movie would be like half as long.
Nah, the body swapping made it interesting. Seeing the characters experience each others lives was interesting.
I'm not saying they need to get together immediately, but the story would have been both better and more coherent if in the second half it became about their romance and the differences in their lives and environments. There's enough conflict between them to make the story interesting, especially with their backgrounds, and the girl's father trying to rejuvenate their town and her wanting to move away. Add in that whole mystical cord-weaving spiritual oneness thing and it could easily be an interesting film about the town as a whole, rather than a generic star-crossed lovers thing.

>and the ending seems to happen multiple times before the movie decides to end.
There's two main points where the film feels like it should have ended, are straight after the big climax where the town is destroyed (maybe with a brief coda thing afterwards), and when the two characters pass each other outside the cafe.
Having the story end after both of those would be fine if there was a purpose to it, but there's literally no dramatic difference between meeting at the cafe and seeing eachother on trains, neither of the characters have made decisions that would effect the outcome, nor have any other characters in the film, it's just forced deus ex machina by the director, and that would be fine if they hadn't already done it a minute earlier except to fuck the characters over by having them not recognize each other.

>That's a bullshit excuse and you know it. Fiction has no obligation to realism, especially if you're writing some keit-ai dimension hopping shit.
Nor does it have and obligation to pander to your needs.

>Nah, the body swapping made it interesting. Seeing the characters experience each others lives was interesting.
>I'm not saying they need to get together immediately, but the story would have been both better and more coherent if in the second half it became about their romance and the differences in their lives and environments. There's enough conflict between them to make the story interesting, especially with their backgrounds, and the girl's father trying to rejuvenate their town and her wanting to move away. Add in that whole mystical cord-weaving spiritual oneness thing and it could easily be an interesting film about the town as a whole, rather than a generic star-crossed lovers thing.
So you expected another movie, how does it make this one any worse? That#s on you. And it wasn't generic at all.

>There's two main points where the film feels like it should have ended, are straight after the big climax where the town is destroyed (maybe with a brief coda thing afterwards), and when the two characters pass each other outside the cafe.
That would have both been far far worse endings than the one we got, that's for sure and they would also pretty much shit on the people watching it.

>there's literally no dramatic difference between meeting at the cafe and seeing eachother on trains, neither of the characters have made decisions that would effect the outcome, nor have any other characters in the film, it's just forced deus ex machina by the director, and that would be fine if they hadn't already done it a minute earlier except to fuck the characters over by having them not recognize each other.
If you didn't understand why they saw each other in the train, you probably didn't understand a big part of the movie either.

in japan, this anime is known normalfag bait.

Here you go.

Part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
Part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

What is so good about?

who cares?

>no. 1 movie in Japan
>no. 1 anime on MAL

Meme magic strikes again.

But no? The payoff was his efforts finally led to him meeting her again. Their future relationship is inconsequential.

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/

Isn't it better to be a normal human being instead of having autism like this

Is there a musical number like in 5 Centimeters and Garden of Words?

UNSTOPPABLE

Every fucking thread.

an extremely profitable mistake

>another Shinkai photography photoshop animu
>read description and ending
>8 years later, while on the train they met each other

Christ, even that last movie about guy making shoes and fucking his teacher sounds better

Praise kek-ai.

>Nor does it have and obligation to pander to your needs.
No, but I'd argue that it has an obligation to have a certain amount of consistency in tone, at least in order to have a certain level of quality.

>So you expected another movie, how does it make this one any worse?
I didn't expect another movie, I expected the one I saw to follow through on the ideas it raised rather than veer off into trite romance, or at least use the trite romance to examine some of those ideas.

>If you didn't understand why they saw each other in the train, you probably didn't understand a big part of the movie either.
Then maybe you should explain your understanding and refute my point rather than engaging in smug ad hominem ego stroking

Keit-ai is already a manga. Stop posting it.

webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

This is the best Anime Movie ever created. DESU.

>No, but I'd argue that it has an obligation to have a certain amount of consistency in tone, at least in order to have a certain level of quality.
And her relationship with her father was a subplot, so it didn't hurt the consistency of the whole movie at all.

>>So you expected another movie, how does it make this one any worse?
>I didn't expect another movie, I expected the one I saw to follow through on the ideas it raised rather than veer off into trite romance, or at least use the trite romance to examine some of those ideas.
Which it did though. Watch the first 10 minutes and then the last 10 maybe then you'll realise it if the whole build up didn't help.

>>If you didn't understand why they saw each other in the train, you probably didn't understand a big part of the movie either.
>Then maybe you should explain your understanding and refute my point rather than engaging in smug ad hominem ego stroking
Maybe you should remember how the movie fucking started instead.

That christmas cake was killed by the meteor though. I think it was pretty funny that they included her.

>Just like Real life desu.
Not even him but you're pathetic.

>subplot is handled like a subplot
>but why wasn't it the focus???
Kill yourself

¥2.2 billion for week 4 with ¥1,076b this weekend
Total: ¥8.48 billion

And it's all thanks to Shinkai's viral marketing. Meme magic is real.

I've never been impressed by Shinkai before and despite mass commercial acceptance I don't believe this one will be any different. Almost upset that it'll overshadow more deserved films.

>koe no katachi defeated by memes
JUST

Subplots are still supposed to have a proper ending. You ever see a comedy sitcom? You usually have the main plot (e.g. Rick and Morty try to incept his teacher into giving him good grades) and a B plot (e.g. the family uses a device to make their dog smarter), and at the end the two plots converge (e.g. the dog wants to take over earth until Rick incepts him not to). The whole point of a sub plot is to reinforce the main plot, not distract from it, which is exactly what Kimi no Wa did.

Not every subplot gets resolved in the last section of the story in any fictional work or has to somehow deepen the main plot, are you drunk? Sometimes it's just needed to set the right setting or deepen a character. You're pretty much crying for autistic reasons.

Is this one of those scrollable webcomic sites were a spooky ghost comes out when you scroll down enough?

>Shinkai apologists and muh enigma in every Kimi no Na Wa thread

And you find that remotely satisfying? Some hint of their future relationship is critical to providing closure to the journey - a reward for both the viewer and the main couple. Yes, Taki found what he wanted, but there remains the question of what they will do with this 'gift', instead of leaving us hanging with this bittersweet chance meeting end. It's Shinkai trying too hard with a misguided attempt at subtlety through his rehashed endings, when even the feel-good ending would have worked better without altering the rest of the film. It is what the huge buildup and climax deserved, instead of fizzing out.

>inb4 muh realism

Sometimes realistic narratives are not the best and most satisfying ones.

I also always read claims in such threads about how so much of the film was deliberately enigmatic. In this film, the 'enigma' is actually bad worldbuilding and hasty pacing. Leaving things to the viewer's imagination is a powerful narrative device, but it must matched with appropriate cues in both cinematography and script.

We have scattered references (temple fire, comet strike in past, past dreams) that come in at inconsequential points in time that are not sufficient to create a powerful narrative in our heads with. At risk of comparing apples and oranges, Sora no Woto and YKK were both brilliant in controlling this tension between revealing too much and being too scattered. I'm really not sure how some people can claim it is all about the journey rather than the end result. In fact, this is a film that deserved a more straightforward ending in totality.

As said, there are many ways to elevate the story beyond what it is, none of which Shinkai seems able to explore with his endless obsession on the same themes and motifs. Which is a pity because so many other elements of the film were lovable, like the sense of place, characters and cinematography.

Oh yeah let's praise some normalfag movie as best anime. such epik trolle

Yup.

The other elements of the film wouldn't been interesting or have as much as a dramatic stake to carry the film. In saying so the film would have been needed to be completely restructured.

yes this is romance with a ton cliche and some fantasy twists with a feelgood ending, is that really so bad for everyone?

what's done is done. if people had better ideas to explore for the film they should put it on paper or make a manga/manhwa about it, jeez even fucking meme magic keit-ai got some random guy working on it out all the possible stories they could work on out there.

agreed

youtube.com/watch?v=6anRXzy93nM