What happened to ultra violent anime?

What happened to ultra violent anime?

It went away with the era of Japan's economic excess.

The real question is how did Genocyber, which isn't exactly high art, nonetheless turn into total garbage by parts 4 and 5?

They mostly existed as OVAs, which was a market that died when anime had more presence on late-night TV.

Good riddance. None of them were particularly good outside of the DUDE GORE factor.

The 90s ended

>The 90s ended
Don't remind me.

OVA "market" died

>Spriggan will never get a full length anime series
>no cyber cold war

it hurts

Buy the BDs.

>no super powered Hitler
That's what really hurts

I like Ohata's designs, but I don't think any of his works are really "worth" buying. There are so many damn problems with them. MD Geist 1 is probably the best (I don't know why people always say Death Force's "story is better" - the whole thing is like a barely-animated slideshow with an awful plot).

OVAs died and shounen trends changed

They became comedies.

that's a lie

>Listening to take on me.
>See this gif.
>It syncs up perfectly.

Fuck you, user.

Look, it was for the best. The 90s were a terrible time to be alive.

No internet certainly makes everything looks grimmer.

the fuck

Can you honestly say you miss shit like genocyber?

>there are people who don't know Blood-C

Hi MAL

Did you get turned around? Muh 80s/90s action is MAL incarnate.

I remember there was this one mecha series where two naked girls in separate mechs had their machines fuse and created like this big laser beam or explosion and later there was a guy just laughing maniacally. I can't remember what it was, but I think it was on the demon hunter kyoko VHS or something as an ad or maybe it was it was its own thing.

Hi, autist.

Do you even remember the last time any of those were profitable. Also this

Japanese soccer moms and their demonizing campaign on otaku ruined it for everybody.

I wonder what made the home video market profitable at that time to begin with.

You would think with the prevalence of different home media venues and streaming services today could point the way to a moderately healthy industry.

>>I wonder what made the home video market profitable at that time to begin with.
The same thing that made the otaku night hours profitable now

The TV industry wasn't focused on home media sales, so there was an opening there for OVAs to exploit. Then they realized people were willing to pay much more than expected for home media of anime, and as a result those sales become more relevant to TV anime and the number of TV anime grew, and OVAs lost their sales niche.

>Then they realized people were willing to pay much more than expected for home media of anime,
All thanks to Evangelion

Nah, that's not what I mean. NGE helped them realize how many people were willing to pay, not how much they would pay. I'm talking about the actual prices, which went up because people bought rental copies after the initial run ran out, showing studios that consumers would pay those higher prices.