Will Nihei ever make anything good again?

Will Nihei ever make anything good again?

Sidonia was mediocre.

Other urls found in this thread:

mangapark.me/manga/ningyou-no-kuni-nihei-tsutomu
randomisgod.com/blame/Artbook82.html
youtube.com/watch?v=b7kUc5RcMqc
bac9.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Outlook not so good

What did you mean by this

Short answer? No. Abara was the end of the line for his valued creative and artistic prospects. Everything good that he possessed was exhausted in Blame and Abara, and now we're getting the dregs.

say that to my face not online motherfucker

uggo alien benis please go

Izana should have won. I was so disappointed with Izana not winning.

I saw screenshots from the Blame movie and they decided to redseign the humans and make them mooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nihei has gone full George Lucas and it hurts so much

Pretty sure Nihei doesn't have much of a say on what the people look like in the movie.

Yeah. Yeah, he does. I'm sorry you had to find out this way

mangapark.me/manga/ningyou-no-kuni-nihei-tsutomu

He put this out. It's unfortunate that it's a one-shot. Because the premise seems promising for a fleshed out series.

terrible it looks like the girl on the left stands out terribly

We all know. It's just so bad that we don't want to acknowledge it. Just look at this shit. This probably took him half an hour to draw.

Face the fact: Nihei is even more 'done' than Miura.

sidonia had an amazing waifu value.

no it doesn't. also i wish nihei would go back to his original style with sharp angles. i'm tired of the malformed architectural diarrhoea.

what the fuck. why does safeguard suit look like shit? why is it now separate jacket and pants? what the fuck is up with fishers? why's killy so thin? why's cibo all kinds of fucked? i just pray to god they don't ruin this amazing scene.
moe won't hurt, cibo was pretty moe as it were, if they only didn't fuck up everything else.

Cibo could certainly be cute but she was tonally consistent with the rest of the comic. These new designs seem to be like an appeal to certain demographics and personally I think look worse than what was in the original comic.

i would agree these particular renders look bad, but why don't they just take the moe from the original material, if they want to put moe in? are these shitters trying to make blame look more like sidona? are they, god forbid, recycling assets?

i wish we could get blame animated by trigger.

I"m also worried about the character animation because humans were animated terribly in Sidonia

i wasn't THAT bad in the second half.

i mean what the fuck this is a picture from the reprint. why are they changing the safeguard suit? it looks objectively worse in their render.

og my god, what the fuck are these?! tell me this is an old poster with pre-alpha assets, guys, i think i'm about to have a stroke

>people ITT don't like moe blame

The art in that comic is actually good though

>are these shitters trying to make blame look more like sidona?
One was good, the other was commercially successful. Take a guess on what they're doing.

Killy is not a safeguard and does not have a 'safeguard suit'

Sidonia was a mistake

As was Biomega.

What's wrong with Biomega?

Nihei forgot to use an outline and the manga is a jumbled mess.

>Take a guess on what they're doing.
hold me, user
>Killy is not a safeguard
he's an ancient safeguard. probably sana-chan's great-great-great-gramps
at least we got a waifu

You can almost see the exact page on where Nihei's heart broke and he stopped caring about making quality manga altogether. That's what's wrong with Biomega.

He said somewhere - and this is probably sourceable, I just don't have it on hand - that his family didn't like Blame, so he tried to go simpler, with Abara. They didn't like Abara, so he tried to go simpler, with Biomega. They didn't like Biomega either, and presumably voiced that opinion before the manga was finished, so we ended up with the depressingly limp-wristed second half of Biomega. When Bleach ended, I was reminded of Biomega: in the end, both were impossibly heavily rushed and incredibly sad in terms of wasted potential. Both seem to signal the complete death of the morale of the author.

He had such a small but strong fanbase though he should of told his family/editors/everyone else to stop having shit taste

>he's an ancient safeguard. probably sana-chan's great-great-great-gramps
why do I have to do this every time

霰亥は本当にセーフガードなの?
Kirii ha hontou ni seefugaado na no?
Is Killy really a Safeguard?

キリイは。。。違う。。。セーフガード以前のシステムの。。。密使ーーーーー
Kirii ha.. chigau... seefugaado izen no shisutemu no... misshi ------
Killy is... no... from the system before the safeguard, he is... a secret agent

>Buy BLAME! because of an ad in the back of another manga
>it's 10 amazing volumes of Terminator 2 with stunning artwork, becomes my favorite manga ever
>Abara was incredible but too short
>get hype as fuck for Biomega
>plot falls apart once Earth is destroyed
>everything since has fallen flat in every department

It breaks my fucking heart. I really wanted a full Netsphere Engineer series. God damn, his old one shots are better than any of his current series.

Still waiting on those re translations Habanero STILL WAITING.

If anyone here is a decent editor I heard they were looking for one.

Cibo is for cute!

>his old one shots are better than any of his current series
>Sabrina

I'm not Habanero, I'm the guy who harassed the fuck out of them for several months about releasing it and then gave up
editors are fucking obnoxiously hard to come by, at any rate

he's an old as fuck safeguard. he wears the same suit as dhomochevsky. he has the same weapon as sanakan. he may not be under the authority of safeguard but he sure as shit looks and functions similar to a high-level safeguard unit.

why is she so fat? cibo should be thinner and taller than that.

okay
we'll try this again

人間だが、かなり高度にサイボーグ化されている。
He is human, but has been considerably cyborg-ified.

ほとんど確実に不老不死。
(He is) [a]lmost certainly immortal.

すでに1000年以上は生きている可能性が高い。
The possibility that he has already lived more than 1,000 years is high.

が、その自覚というか「記憶」が多分ない。
But, his self-awareness - or rather "memory" - is possibly/probably nonexistent.

まだ、もしかしたらネットスフェアが完全に機能している時代に警察官的な仕事をしていたのかもしれない。
Perhaps in the time when the Netsphere was fully functional, he may have worked in a line similar to that of a police officer.

is there a fully translation of these moon-runes? you have my interest.

>harem shit again

No thanks.

Yeah, but they're kinda shitty and they're not all 100% accurate. The text in my post is just my retranslation (read: better version) of the relevant lines. I don't have nearly the time or energy to redo the whole thing; at least, not yet.

randomisgod.com/blame/Artbook82.html

Nihei is a one-hit wonder.

Then what was his one wonder?

user, he wants money and fame
>Make Sidonia
>Literally get money and fame
>Nihei questions his own morality

Seems pretty interesting

Depends on the frame of the question.
Popularity: Sidonia
Value: Blame

these have an absolute inverse relationship on a comparison chart

Blame

Will Nihei ever make an ending that is neither rushed nor a fucking mess?

nope.

He made a fine ending in BLAME!

>made the healer turned warrior into a cutebug

Fuck my life.

The first half was amazing, the second went downhill after a bit.

>what is blame
>what is sidonia

at least his stuff has an end

>mfw berserk fan for the past 15 years

he doesn't need to make anything good again, he made BLAME

>that his family didn't like Blame

That's just the internet picking the bit where his daughter wondered why he wasn't doing something like Attack on Titan and letting it grow from feather to industrial hen farm.

Safeguard is a job and an organisation, not a group of technologies. Running around in camo doesn't make you a marine, enlisting does.

>Perhaps in the time when the Netsphere was fully functional, he may have worked in a line similar to that of a police officer.
Wouldn't that put his age closer to a million rather than 1000?

I always had the impression that BLAME was not thousands but millions of years into the future

on one hand- yes, as there are different species of human etc. on other hand- mensab seemingly predated the city. it's inconsistent.

A thousand seems like an uncharacteristically short time period for Blame. It's 256 years between Domo loosing his eye until Killy and Cibo goes for a month long elevator ride and drops by. And despite numbers like that being tossed around, the builder that tells Killy Cibo had passed by could simply say it was a very long time ago...

I loved all Nihei's works so far, even Sidonia, and I can't wait for his next one.

hope he dies of cyber cancer
fucking netflix normalfags

>normalfags

Kill yourself

That's really well-drawn. What's supposed to be wrong with it?

Just people being salty for the sake of it, as if a mangaka should be punished for refining his art over the years.

Nihei's artbook notes are written to be all artsy - virtually everything in it has a 'maybe' affixed to it, when he really means "definitely". It's generally agreed upon that Killy has been alive for a lot longer than that. And that note is referring to Killy when the story begins - he's considerably older and much more miserable at the end. I'll look for something more concrete in the artbook/interviews again.

>'refining'
>reduction to 1/20th of the linework and detail used in his most acclaimed work
lol yeah ok
whatever you say, Miura

>Everything should stay the same forever

Yeah, user.

Nihei probably change of art style happened because of Q Hayashida going solo and leaving Nihei. I mean look at Dorohedoro, it's still chicken scratchy as fuck.

why he does this to cibo? christ, the original was so much better even without any kind of detalization.
i'n not against a new style if the new style doesn't lose all the detail and degrades shading to a level of shitscribbles.

Is Dorohedoro almost done? I'm waiting for it to finish but it keeps getting extended.

Is the movie anime original or an edited version of the Toha arc?

>Perhaps in the time when the Netsphere was fully functional, he may have worked in a line similar to that of a police officer.
So, was it the same Killy?

What exactly is the Netsphere?

internet of things on steroids, crack and pcp

>It's unfortunate that it's a one-shot
true that.

I fucking hate this Neo-Nihei art.

>I always had the impression that BLAME was not thousands but millions of years into the future
A million years is a looonnnnngggg span of time, user. I don't think the human tribes and colonies killy encountered would resemble anything pre-cataclysm if it were really that long. NOiSE specifically mentions 3000 years having passed, and the end result looked a lot like BLAME's setting. 3000 sounds more reasonable.

I think it was some sort of virtual-reality Internet for the privileged. You can see it briefly in the flashback where Cibo and the Bioelectric Corp hacked in, and in the "backup space" in second-to-last chapter.

I like it. It's clearly not on the same level as Blame as far as shading goes but it's pleasant to look at.

Sidonia is Nihei's best work. Earlier works were at it's worst at anything or than pumping in a backstory involving ludicrously large numbers. Anything involving any sort of movement at all was incomprehensible, just like the plot. Faces and anything made of flesh looked awful and most panels were 90% black space with the remainder taken up by heavy black lines with no detail.

Really? I think it's really cool. I understand why someone might prefer his earlier, grungier work, but I don't get why his modern work gets so much hate.

skivvies had third eye and shit. some people were drastically taller and some shorter than killy. even educated people and silicon life have no recall of the life before the city. there are also watchers and various weird bugs living in the city. evolution can't work all that in 3000 years

also consider that the city deconstructed jupiter and the rest of solar system, while builders build at a pace of a modern industrial robot. so 3000 years really ain't shit. i'd say it's at least a few hundred thousand. it's also more plot-consistent as during the manga we see killy wander for a few hundred of years and the city doesn't change at all.

>I don't get why his modern work gets so much hate.
memers who want him to go back to his grimdark style

>Looks like that shitty 3D cell shading , some shows have been using lately

Dropped

deal with it
he finaly learned how to drawn

Pretty sure the movie won't adapt anything from the manga.
>i would agree these particular renders look bad, but why don't they just take the moe from the original material, if they want to put moe in? are these shitters trying to make blame look more like sidona? are they, god forbid, recycling assets?
Nihei himself said that the only reason BLAME! looked like that is because he simply was shit at art and couldn't draw cute girls.

He quite literally said it, no idea why you're blaming Polygon.

his previous art sucks for storytelling, i dropped blame because i couldn't understand what was going on half the time

was it ever explained why the fuck kobayashi dressed like a fucking samurai? i mean imagine obama addressing the nation in a pirate costume. it's not a normal thing.

This is bullshit and you know it. Are you retarded? do you really think his family would go and shit on all his works?

you're a retard without taste

and you're an edgy faggot that likes shit art because it's dark

Eh it was probably a hologram only she could see, maybe overlaid over her own chambers or something while others watching would be seeing a normal address.

Basically she's a huge chuuni

Pilots carry pointlessly carry katanas into their cockpits, so it's not that bad.

she was giving a war speak, some thing imperial leader do to improve moral before going into a war

so a Samurai armor give it a nice via

Why did Cibo get so much less expressive as it went on? Back in her introductory arc she had a lot of character but she eventually stopped expressing any kind of emotion. Is it just the effects of traveling with an emotionally dead murder machine for centuries?

SIdonia was great end was shit

also this

Sidonia have a pre war japan atmosphere

Gauna are American. Japan propaganda described American as horned devil

blame isn't dark. it captures the megalomania, the impression of infinite industrial necrophiliac world and relays to you the very essence of it. i felt like i was inside a concrete clockwork, going through it with killy, as i was reading it. not much of the art is as expressive as blame. you, on the other hand, is a teenage retard who can't even troll properly and has to shit up Cred Forums in order to feel accomplishment. you're pathetic, kids like you are failures at being anons. just go hang yourself in the attic, kid.

can you link me your linkin park playlist, user?

>it captures the megalomania, the impression of infinite industrial necrophiliac world and relays to you the very essence of it.
Are you trying to make Nihei fans look bad?

Third season of Sidonia when?

i think nihei was forcing himself to write characters, and was constantly relapsing into drawing the world instead(which is what he probably liked the most). so naturally, as panels weren't about cibo, she didn't get much exposition.

Thanks for proving my point that you're an edgy faggot.

here's a son for you, son youtube.com/watch?v=b7kUc5RcMqc

I wish he'd at least use black again.

the word "edgy" is used by newfags who are insecure despite being on an anonymous imageboard

Maybe after Polygon and Nihei done with BLAME! and other projects.

or maybe you get easily triggerd by it (probably for having it directed at you a bit too many times) and is now trying to deflect

Cibo became a cyborg, so she couldn't make expressions. Probably actually making human expressions was taxing Nihei to the limit, so he basically gave up in the end.

i think a mix between his new and old style would be the best

i like how he draws characters now but this all white stuff looks too plastic and light

I think the lack of blacks is what makes Ningyo no Kuni interesting.

Abara was so good. Maybe not the way it ended or the weird plot but it had incredible art and the Gauna designs are one of the best things I've seen around in quite some time.

son, i have been on 4chen since 2007. i don't get triggered.

see, i know you. i have seen you a thousand times. you are that fucking newfag who comes here, lurks a bit and gets into the whole "user" thing. then you think "holy shit, i can try trolling someone, lol!" and you try to do some basic baiting here, on a board. little do you know that trolling Cred Forums is like pissing into an ocean of piss. we've seen worse people do better, trust me. no one's gonna be triggered, because no one except a few autistic tripfags comes here to seriously prove anything, like normies do on facebook or gaia. anyone who discusses anything is doing so because they're genuinely bored and have nothing better to do. so, instead of lurking more, going to troll somewhere were you will actually get hilarious reaction and win, or just chilling out and enjoying yourself you get all worked up to try and shit up the thread. so you get a little poop going and feel extremely proud of yourself, but what you do not realise is that you were floating in an ocean of shit all this time.

the only reaction i have to you, every time, is "here we go again". and you don't wise up, you are always here and you will be here until Cred Forums is finally taken behind the barn and shot. you will always be THAT fucking kid.

it's just you can't see shit without blacks. it looks messy.

Did anyone buy the first volume of the reprint? I haven't read Blame yet and want to pick it up if it's any good.

>i don't get triggered

yet you write 2-3 paragraphs of text each reply. totally not triggered

we're anonymous, you don't get internet points for pretending you've been here long, no one is impressed. you should go back to r3ddit and count your +1s and tell everyone how old your account is if you're into that stuff

>evolution can't work all that in 3000 years
Natural evolution, sure, but there's almost nothing natural in BLAME

i just enjoy banter. that's why i insulted you the first time. i enjoy writing tldrs and swearing at people, that's it. that's why i haven't been able to stop coming here for 9 years.
>you don't get internet points for pretending you've been here long
you don't even know

i elect to believe it was a million years.

I just like blames setting and character design. he could have just made it completely dialogueless

Really? I was impressed by the clarity. Normally I'd think that it'd be harder to read if you never used blacks, but I never had trouble discerning what Nihei was drawing in Ningyou no Kuni. The linework might be a little busy on some panels, but I think that's a separate issue.

to me it just looks amateurish. in blame i could see the details right away, i could feel the texture and weight. with the white stuff it's just hard to read what the fuck is going on. what are these walls made off? what is this building? where are we? so it breaks the immersion.

user, one million years is a reaaallllyyyy long time. That's like 125 times longer than recorded history to date. It's hard for me to believe that certain species evolved but culture and customs among the humans and silicon life haven't advanced in that time.

Weren't there a few pre-cataclysm artifacts in BLAME? Anything that existed from NOiSE or before should have crumbled to dust in that span of time.

That's a really weird explanation, since Cibo was always a cyborg. Did you mean the level 9?

I'm with . Everything being pitch-white makes it hard to parse the construction of things. Sometimes it looks like plaster, sometimes concrete, sometimes snow. It's a more interesting style at first, but it quickly becomes noise.

>one million years is a reaaallllyyyy long time
that's the point. the city has no end and no beginning.
>Anything that existed from NOiSE or before should have crumbled to dust in that span of time
they have level of technology which can deconstruct jupiter. anyway, it doesn't need to be explained or logical at all. blame is the city- you have to feel the city, be dwarfed by it. you can not comprehend the city.

>You can almost see the exact page on where Nihei's heart broke and he stopped caring about making quality manga altogether. That's what's wrong with Biomega.
I'll agree that he stopped giving a fuck about "quality manga", but I think Biomega also marked a point where he was willing to try experimenting more outside of traditional sci-fi action tropes. Obviously that resulted in a rushed, nonsensical ending and then Sidonia, but at least he's tried something outside his usual comfort zone. I mean, Sabrina and Abara and parts of BLAME were *weird*, but I thought these were good attempts at bringing that weirdness back to the human elements of story-telling.

That chapter with Higuide saving a princess is probably one of my favorite one-shots that Nihei has done. The chapter with Zouichi and the gang comforting a dying kid, and the chapter with the DRF agents were also pretty good short stories IMO.

>that's the point. the city has no end and no beginning.
It does, though.

just ignore the narrative. the artistic value isn't about a killy cyborg on an adventure, it's in the city.

>muh detail
It looks fine, honestly.

ANyone have a link to that BLAME! video game? It's being made by some blogger, its a walking sim thru The City. I think it's called Logs but I can't find it.

bac9.tumblr.com/

Thanks man.