"XXX is the next Miyazaki!"

>"XXX is the next Miyazaki!"
>person in question has zero sense of artistry

Why do people still use this retarded comparison?

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it's about sales, not the actual content itself.

No one really means anything when they say that.

i love this meme

Is Miyazaki-sensei a paedo?

>person in question has zero sense of artistry

So just like Miyazaki, then?

Miyazaki has lost to Shinkai.

People think miyazaki is good?

I liver liked his art style too classy.

Who would want to be the next hack director?

more like tryhard. Everything about his work is tryhard.

>too classy

What the fuck kind of complaint is this, Amerifat?

Couldn't stomach his drawings?

>waaaaaah it doesn't look like my generic bug-eyed uguuu~ waifu harem shit

If there are no loli can't be the next Miyazaki

>too classy
His characters look like typical kodomo art.

Which artists are commonly referred to the next Miyazaki?

Anno

Hosoda
Shinkai
Kondou

He's already a hack though.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

Ghibli characters are very much moe.

This.

They're cute but not generic moeblobs. Miyazaki's character designs are still fresh and age like fine wine compared to the shit we've been getting the past ten years. There's nothing quite like them nowadays.

This bait?

How is it bait? Get back to your 50-colors-per-eyeball ayyyylmao sameface characters.

Too New Wave forr my taste

>This is not an opinion I like. Therefore it is bait

I only personally enjoy his work he made in the 90's plus castle in the sky. His work is good but suffers from being limited to a fix range of expresses. His style great to look at, but you really can't do a lot with it without looking put of place

Yes.

It's either going to be Mamoru Hosoda or Shinkai Makoto, probably Hosoda.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is retarded.

Anyone who thinks about who the next Miyazaki will be is retarded in the first place.

>Hosoda

Too bad Your Name blows away everything he's ever made at the box office.

It took Disney around 20 years after Walt died to come out with The Little Mermaid and other movies that are considered just as good as the ones Walt worked on.

Assuming that Miyazaki is actually retired this time and that Ghibli manages to survive (or just after he dies), how long do you think it will take them to make their own "Little Mermaid?"

Trust me, I like Makoto more, I just think that Hosoda has the style down, makes movies that appeal to both kids and adults, and is in general a lot more like Miyazaki.

It's not really a competition, Satoshi Kon and Mamoru Oshii blow everyone else mentioned out of the water. Succeeding financially and critically doesn't make you the next Miyazaki.

Your Name's box office success suggests otherwise. At the moment (in less than a month) it has already done two times better than Hosoda's highest grossing film and it's still going. And this is Shinkai's first wide release. When people compare him to Miyazaki, I think they take both commercial and critical success into account. Your Name is pulling prime Studio Ghibli business and is the best reviewed Japanese film of 2016 if I not mistaken.

>and that Ghibli manages to survive

It won't, watch The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness.

These is pretty much a fact, Miyazaki straight up says the studio is dying and he doesn't care.

Masashi Kishimoto

>style down

Making furrybait is not a "style".

Objectively, yes it is.

I think Ghibli's expiration date will come before that.

Base Shinkai.

Yoshifumi Kondō (Whisper of the Heart) was supposed to replace Miyazaki. Sadly he never got the chance. It's a shame too. He had the talent.

Hosoda's more rooted in the Dezaki / Ikuhara style of direction than anything even remotely resembling Miyazaki. I think this whole argument is pretty stupid, because if the criteria are 1. make movies like his, 2. be successful and 3. be extremely talented then there's not a single person out there who fits that description.

Truthfully 90s Disney is overrated. It's much more commercial compared to 1937-1959.

You know what is a great shame? That Oshii didn't have the same opportunity as Miyazaki. I honestly think they are equals but one had his own studio while the other didn't.

Oshii was a big part of the OVA boom in the 80s, I think it's unfair to say he was limited creatively in some way or another.

If were talking about directors that got limited creatively, I'd like to throw in Ikuhara.

He got to make Utena then was pretty much screwed afterwards. You could tell that Yuri Kuma was rushed and crammed into one cours.

>Miyazaki's character designs are still fresh

They're not "fresh" at all, everything Miyazaki has done has been rooted back to his old days during the 60s-80s of anime. And his style of character design was the norm back then.

What makes Miyazaki special is that he has own little ivory tower of a studio to maintain his outdated style instead of following industry trends, so for people who aren't at all familiar with the older era of anime everything he makes comes across as being unique and "fresh".

is 5cm per second any good? I marthoned the whole trailer and downloaded it but I'm still undecided as to whether it's worth watching.

Kiki is cute and i wish i could have her as my daughter

Ghibli is already dead, user. Even if some brand new guy comes in and takes it over it won't be the same studio without Miyazaki and Takahata.

>I marthoned the whole trailer

WOW you managed to focus for like FIVE WHOLE FUCKING MINUTES what a marathon good for you user you did it. If you think you can handle the INTENSE PRESSURE of focusing for an entire film, then you might be ready.

But when Disney was alive they made the best shit.

This is pretty much the only Disney scene I like
youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

>Amerifat
>Miyazaki basically copied American cartoon animation

>everything Miyazaki has done has been rooted back to his old days during the 60s-80s of anime

How the fuck does this look anything like the 60s-80s of anime?

As another user mentioned, Ghibli can't have a renaissance like Disney? There could be a whole new wave of great cinema from new blood.

Is Your Name actually good? If it's like the other Shinkai movies I think this is a one-off fluke.

I don't think the style's outdated in the slightest, some of the most beautiful works of the 21st century have been his. And is it wrong to stick to old ways of doing things? Attention to detail and dedication to hand-drawn animation are big positives in my book.

Their retirement is seriously a loss. They've been around since the very beginning and have consistently been creating some of the best there is to offer.

Are you kidding? The characters in most of the anime coming out today all look the same. Miyazaki's art style is at least distinctive and pleasant to look at. In that respect it's similar to Dragon Ball or One Piece. Instantly recognizable, even if it's not your #1 favorite aesthetic.

Disney has always been a large organization filled with many artists. Walt himself was just a producer.

Ghibli is a tiny studio with two primary directors and a few animators. Now the directors are retired and the animators have left to go work for others like Shinkai. Ghibli is just a brand name at this point.

Ghibli doesn't work like Disney did. There'll be no Ghibli renaissance, unless someone with money to spare tries to revive the brand in a decade or so. Talent is limited enough in anime right now as it is, so why would anyone who could be 'the next Miyazaki' be drawn to that husk of a studio in 20 years time?

>Talent is limited enough in anime right now as it is

Does anyone ever take a moment and think that there are 15-20 people in literally the entire industry that aren't easily replaceable? It's fucking crazy.

Isn't it sad how so few anime nowadays can even reach this level of craftsmanship? Fuck Shinkai and his traced backgrounds.

Are there any modern artists with an art style similar to Miyazaki? I feel like he's one of a kind.

>Walt himself was just a producer.
He was a really good producer, though.

He knew the craft because he started out as an animator and director.

Is Anno still considered a hack? Not animation, though it seems he did a great job with Godzilla.

Well, most anime studios nowadays don't have $30 million to throw at a movie, so "craftsmanship" is out of the question.

Anno was never a hack, he just made a wrong-headed hacky project for the money with the Rebuild.

He has serious 'next Miyazaki' (whatever that means) potential if he uses Khara for good rather than evil. He has the power to make interesting, big budget, original films and the talent to make them good, and he has good animators and directors working under him.

Anno idolizes him too much to ever actually become like him.

Sure, but he wasn't the one physically putting together all the movies for his company. And certainly not the one-man army Miyazaki is.

>zero sense of artistry
You mean they don't autistically storyboard in a way that makes even George Lucas look neurotypical? Because that's his style of direction.

The actual artistry of everything isn't up to him and it has declined along with the rest of the industry.

>The actual artistry of everything isn't up to him and it has declined along with the rest of the industry.

To be honest it's hard to tell which industry hasn't declined in terms of artistry.

Miyazaki was extremely hands-on with the animation.

I green texted the wrong part, but point still stands. Miyazaki worked crazy late nights and personally corrected as many frames as possible.

There are a handful, but the most prominent one at the top of my head is Mamoru Nagano. His artistic influences (and overall character) are very similar to Miyazaki's.

Unfortunately he's another old timer and even though he still draws and designs for his manga (FSS) he essentially gave the anime industry the middle finger and left it in the 80s. So in a way he's another time capsule like Miyazaki and not at all representative of modern anime trends.

Don't kid yourself user. Once he's done with the Rebuilds (hopefully before he reaches 60) he's going to spend the rest of his life making more Godzilla movies. Anno has tons of passion for toku and nothing left for anime.

>You mean they don't autistically storyboard in a way that makes even George Lucas look neurotypical? Because that's his style of direction.

Kon did the same thing, but we all know what happened to him. ;_;

I like his style more than directors who barely do more than attach their name to a work. Kubrick did pretty much the same thing and his work is fantastic.

He said "potential", not likelihood of him actually doing it. We already know how much of a pitiful loser Anno is.

Yes.

Ghibli's animation studio has been closed. Ghibli is a trust fund that manages its IPs now. There is no chance for a revival because there is literally no studio left. Everyone was laid off.

In the US system, a producer has a lot of creative input on the work. Almost every Disney film had 4 or 5 directors working on it. Walt had even more input on the film than the average american film producer. He basically played the role of "chief director".

Anno is one of the best B-film directors to grace the face of this planet. He makes the very best camp (Gubuster, Evangelion). He even managed to make Jules Verne campy as fuck but still nice (Nadia, outside of the shitty arc after episode 22).

Miyazaki worked as chief animator on all his works. He corrected almost every drawing. That is why his films are so consistent in animation style. He heavily cleaned up his animators' drawings.

Is this legit?

>sense of artistry
what?

wtf i love miyazaki now

Well i wouldnt mind.

Tokusatsu > anime

I miss Kon

Yes. It's a public secret.

Anno is an amazing B-director for sure.
The shitty Nadia arc wasn't his though, Shinji Higuchi handled it with shitty staff to pad the show out and save money while Anno focused on the ending.

>Japanese Walt Disney
>artistry
Can't wait for this old fart to die and this shitty meme to die with him.

Lazy journalists, stupid readers.

And that's why all his films are so sterile and static. His animation style is stiff as fuck.

It's either Miyazaki or Osamu Tezuka.

It's obviously Tezuka. He was essentially the man who defined anime and manga as we know today. Miyazaki is more like Don Bluth.

Where does that put Tomino?

Nagano makes good shit but never seems to want to do anything where he doesn't make 90% of himself. Like Gothicmade. I wish he knew how to compromise just a little.

I just want 4K to catch on faster so Nagano can release Gothicmade for commercial release.

Whatever list it is that hacks go on.

> tfw you prepare to defend Tomino and suddenly remember all the trash he made as well

Still. He gave us Gundam.

>Tokusatsu > anime

He's a lolicon/plane otaku. He despises these tendencies in others because they remind him of himself.

>Miyazaki's character
You mean Yoshifumi Kondo.

Because he's a popular hack that normies know because of Disney promotion.

Prisma has great designs though.

Nausicaa was made with only $4 million you baka.