Other urls found in this thread:

ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#installingfonts
youtube.com/watch?v=hNplqKIP2-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=59YBKx-0Q6M
youtube.com/watch?v=PlBW7Y6GL6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Mu_SPQLRACw
youtube.com/watch?v=NiOZpJ-N_qE
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1474885935879.webm
amazon.co.jp/クビキリサイクル 青色サヴァンと戯言遣い-講談社文庫-西尾維新-ebook/dp/B01EV0NMIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1474890151&sr=1-1&keywords=戯言シリーズ
intersc.tsukuba.ac.jp/
ttbj.jp/
pastebin.com/e9rRSLN7
okwave.jp/qa/q2654699.html
youtube.com/watch?v=0E00Zuayv9Q
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10010703711000/k10010703711000.html
youtube.com/watch?v=zMTYnfTI97Y
bunpou.neocities.org/基本basic.html#㊦ し
youtube.com/watch?v=vihzF0EMR9A
youtube.com/watch?v=V9Xu6mkacg8
youtube.com/watch?v=SMfB1REALp4
youtube.com/watch?v=lB8IYfRkJYY
youtube.com/watch?v=DcQFBdLNvZU
guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete/multiple_verbs)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>俺の部屋をいる、自慰行為だった
>was in my room, masturbating
Did I write that right?

No.

Figured out as much. Can you correct me please?

Since you asked nicely.
俺の部屋にオナニーしていた

Wait. Onani can be used as a suru verb? Ididn't know that!

Did you mean:
>俺は部屋でオナニーをしていた

thats why we created this thread mate, people need to learn how to tell natives exactly what we get up to

私は今オナニー中バク笑

Right now, I'm laughing inside while masturbating?

when i put this into google it gives me something about onani and buckwheat

>は
He didn't specify who exactly was masturbating in his room. Could be him, his girlfriend, his imouto, etc.

his use of was actually did specify

>"was in my room, masturbating"
>my stepfather was in my room, masturbating

>my stepfather was in my room, masturbating
user please spare us the details of your childhood.

おとうさん! ヘンタイ! バカ!

Sorry, I still haven't gotten over it. I'm trying, though.

>(誰かが)俺の部屋にいて、オナニー(を)していた

if you cant understand when things in context are omitted in english how can you hope to do it in japanese gambare bro

>in context
Exactly, there was no context so it's better not to assume anything.

Well, thread started awesomely.

I just got a smartphone and installed Ankidroid. How do I make the default kanji font not look bad?

use the desktop version

I recommend adopting some children of your own. If you pass your trauma on to the next generation it will allow you to put it behind you and move on.

ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#installingfonts

ビートとともにバンバン吐き出せば良いのじゃ

youtube.com/watch?v=hNplqKIP2-Y

Today I did two hours of anki and read a VN for an hour and listened to some songs and watched 5-6 episodes of anime

拍手あげるよ~

蒼い世界のコト
does anybody know why コト means story?
it doesn't translate using google

>ビートとともにバンバン吐き出せば良いのじゃ
It's alright to go with the flow?

ことのことはわかりますかブロ

おはようおにいちゃん

ホテイアオイのはながさいたよ

ヒガンバナであぜみちがそまるよ

あきなのかもしれない

毎年夏の終わりは悲しい気持ちになります

笑わせんであほや

いいね、ヒガンバナ
うつくしいあかいろ

>a few minutes without having to look anything up

It's going to be so nice when this is normal.

Just a paragraph of this makes me feel gooey inside.

Re-read something you read when you started for free goo. You will know every word and realize how little of it you actually understood the first time you read it. You will also marvel at how far you've come and feel good about your progress.

You're right about this. When I lose my place and re read to find it all of a sudden I can relax into the meaning and grammar instead of words. Maybe I need to change the way I read things.

It's awesome. Going through Danganronpa 2 raw in preparation for V3 feels so great knowing all that time I spent reviewing actually created a consistent skill.

How hard are those raw? I'm looking for text heavy psp games.

Not hard at all IMO, some characters use weird words and speech patterns at times but usually it's your typical first person murder mystery writing.

Also depends on how many words/kanji you know already.

So once you have the kana down you just use Anki + study kanji + read grammar guides for months until you can read at babby level, and then slowly improve from there by doing?

You can use anything as a する verb if you believe hard enough

Pretty much

Just keep in mind that you want to move onto reading asap, no point hanging around in the grammar guide stage for longer than needed

>study kanji
no. and you finish the TK grammar guide in a month, which is also when you start to read. after 2-3 months swap from the core deck to your mining deck

なでなでする

お前の母をしたい

By that greentext, do you mean I should just learn the kanji for words through Anki instead of learning them in isolation? Or do you mean I should start reading without much Kanji knowledge and just look them up when I see them?

ベーコンする

アウーを死体にする

プニプニしたい

you learn whole vocab in anki and pick up kanji that way. when you see 食堂、食事、食欲 your brain picks up that 食=food related. so yes looking at single kanji in isolation is inefficient

おそいぞい!

あのBBAのアニメは終わっただよ、もう投稿しないでくれ

できないする

When we looks at words like 観る 見る 診る, it's obvious that they all come from "see", and the kanji just adds a special kind of seeing.

But how do we draw the line on other words?

Would a native relate 独 and 毒, making being single or doing things alone as harmful?
Does mushroom (kinoko) sound like "a puppy tree" for them?

Their limited phonetics adds all sorts of imagery when I'm learning. 独身 sounds like the most bitter path in life ever. Almost as if it was written 毒心.

Work out your own study and if you can't do that, grab a textbook series and work through that. There is no point of "self" studying if you are going to rely on the guidance of the fucking idiots who populate these threads. You're better off listening to the advice of pretty much anyone else than the anons here when it comes to the "proper" or "right" way to go about learning a language.

Not everyone is capable of being an autodidact and on the other hand, textbooks provide progressive structure. It's almost impossible to fuck up language acquisition but it is very easy to essentially get caught up in procrastination born out of relying on the conflicting "advice" from anons who all think their way is the One True Way, who will spend more time shitting over the methods of one another than they ever will give you useful and accessible advice on more structured approaches to learning.

Beginners should really avoid these threads like the plague. The pages in the op site are more than enough if you actually read though them. They provide links to different structured approaches, etc. that you can easily try out on your own and the best part is that as a beginner, your feedback will be a lot stronger due to the initial booms in progression.
Try different shit out and see what feels best, because you're going to be doing that anyway till you find your own rhythm, regardless of what anyone else will try to tell you how you ought study, because that's just how people are.

Anyway, here is some opinion on the topic of learning Japanese by someone who has actually reached a high level of proficiency, since this individual is popular around here (for good reason, at least):
youtube.com/watch?v=59YBKx-0Q6M
youtube.com/watch?v=PlBW7Y6GL6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Mu_SPQLRACw
youtube.com/watch?v=NiOZpJ-N_qE

Another day of anki

Another day of wishing I was dead

around here we called that monday

おにーちゃん

おにーいちゃん

ねえねえ

かたもんで

お前はアンキによる本当に捗っているなら あの文章を日本語を書き込んでみよう

なにを言っているのか分かりませんが、
自分で漢字の熟語を作れるようになることは大切です。
毒心という熟語は存在しないが、その考え方はあなたの学習に非常に有効です。

いいよ
ところで、waywardのゲーム飽きるか?

日本語で

Today I did Anki for 3 minutes and then I read a visual novel for 9 hours and 12 minutes.

またアンキしている1日
また自殺したい1日

かな

Hai boku desu!

こんばんわ、みんなーさん!

わたしわにほんです

そんなことよりパンツほしい

Holy shit am I gifted in learning にほんご、I memorized Hiragana so easily。I’m moving onto Katakana soon。

ぼく わ がんばります!

チャド兄さんなにしてはるんですか

見ての通りパンツを集めている

>She has to come here "right now".
彼女は"直ちに"ここに来なくてはいけない

どれがベスト?
right now
right away
soon
just now

>パンツ
Gdi, I haven't learned katakana, chill with that.

Eh, then I guess each person "feels" Japanese in a different way, huh?

I mean, there is a bit of this in English (the word clogged, for instance, is very... synesthetic to me), but when it comes to ideograms, the etymology seems more in your face most of the time, making me look for relations even when there doesn't seem to be one.

>ほしい
Hoshi? What does it mean? Aside from stars, in your sentence there?

God damn who let all the absolute beginners in

they followed you in

In a couple days I've been studying Japanese for exactly half a year, without having skipped a single day of study during the course.

How should I celebrate /djt/?

しつうもん です!Why in Japanese, there is, sort of (in my view as a foreigner), unnecessary placement of つ in spelling when it doesn't really contribute to the convulsed pronunciation of that one word? Or it's there to make a dent to the pronunciation like in my language, we called it sabdu, it's a pronunciation style to make a word have that prolonged pronunciation.

So is it that? Sorry, we obviously aren't sharing the same first language for me to explain mine in a better word, especially in English.

By studying Japanese

its like when i read your post and say げッ

でれでれ

Rude.

Pour yourself a glass of rum and watch raw anime episodes while drunk.

>Deredere
Hey, I'm getting good at reading these moonspeaks. Although still way too slow.

It's a single guy shitposting, Akira-chan.
That's my call to do something more productive, smell ya 可愛いマ○コ later.

good idea, im out too

Thanks user. I googled that sokuon stuff up.

ども ありがと ございます!

You pros are really egoistical huh. Bye then. Remember no one starts high.

Bye shittuposutaa-kun tachi.

I said that I couldn't understand.
It was a meaning that I can't speak English well.

もちろん。単語1つだけの場合は、話す人と聞く人の間に誤解が生まれることもあります。
正確に伝えるためには前後の文章が必要です。
それと聞く人のボキャブラリーも必要です。
ボキャブラリーが無いと伝わらないことがあります。

あなたのボキャブラリーが増えるにつれて、語源の理解も深まります。

by reading compelling content

うんこのことを話しましょう

とくに私のカキコするing

大食漢のは罪ですか?

かぼちゃパンツほしい?

もちろん

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1474885935879.webm

詳しく話はあと、ここには警察を迫っている

I remember I once saw 正 being used to count votes, are there any other characters for that?

かぼちゃパンツって

えいごでなんていうの?

Top quality posting.

Ah, sorry. I will write more simply, then:

Verbs like 診る and 観る are clearly derived from the same concept (looking at something), but the kanji helps to differentiate between them. Probably, they were the same word in ancient days, so the kanji distinction was added later, to make written language more obvious.

But many unrelated words have the same pronunciation as others, like the DOKU example I gave. "Single" and "Poison" don't have any connection in meaning, but maybe, just like all the different MIRU, some people might think the words have a relationship.

And maybe there IS a relationship between words like that, but it's obscure and we don't know about it.

I was just wondering if a native Japanese speaker also does this kind of "毒心" connections when they learn new vocabulary growing up.

昔の名前はhoseって
近代はpumpkin pantsということだ

オシャレじゃなくて、俺はド変態だけだよ

hoseは中に干せ

Does 戯言シリーズ exist as anything other than scans? I want epub/mobi so I can read it on my kindle

優しい英語を使ってくれてありがとう。
あなたが言いたいことは分かりました。

私たちは「独身」を学ぶとき、「毒心」を思い浮かべない。
あなたとは学ぶ手順が違います。

>私たちが新しい言葉を学ぶ時、まず初めにその言葉の意味を完全に覚えます。
>意味を覚える時に、漢字は必要ではありません。
私たちは先に意味を覚えてしまうので、明らかに意味が異なる漢字は思い浮かべません。

例えば流暢(りゅうちょう)という言葉があります。
流暢の意味はfluentです。
あなたが学ぶ方法の場合、例えば、竜長(りゅうちょう) long dragon などを思い浮かべるかもしれません。
しかし、私たちは流暢の意味を完全に理解しているので、
竜長のような漢字を思い浮かべることはありません。

そして流暢という漢字は非常に難しいので私たちのほとんどは覚えていません。
流暢という漢字を書ける人も少ないです。

amazon.co.jp/クビキリサイクル 青色サヴァンと戯言遣い-講談社文庫-西尾維新-ebook/dp/B01EV0NMIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1474890151&sr=1-1&keywords=戯言シリーズ
>Kindle版
>¥ 843
?

Are you saying you're buying and uploading it? Cool, appreciated.

Buy it yourself, you piece of shit.

Why are you being so stingy user? Just buy it for me.

>り↑ゅーち↓ょー

は流暢だけど

>り↓ゅうち↑ょう

だと噺家さんみたいだよ

>な↑す

は野菜だけど

>な↓す↑

は地名だよね。

Drink bleach.

イモウトよ そのとぅ↑→りだ
発音を文字で学ぶのは難し過ぎる

Hm... I understand!
Thank you for the answer and for the simple English as well, I'm glad I was able to read almost everything without a dictionary. Dekiru!

Simple Japanese, I mean.

I think you are wise.
がんばって!

「翌日」と「明日」の違いを教えてください

yokujitsu - the next/following day

ashita - tomorrow

おにいちゃん

おにーちゃん

アイスなめたい

翌日をつかうときは、前の日のことが気になるよ

明日をつかうときは、次の日のことが気になるかな

明日は現在の次の日
翌日は現在以外の日の次の日

過去の話をしてる時は翌日
現在の話をしてる時は明日
未来の話をしてる時は翌日

>not digging your own grave

A lot of the dictionary definitions seem to skip past the most obvious definition. Sometimes you can find that definition all over the example sentences but not in the main definition itself.

お前は草食系人か

これ全部妹に食べてほしい

もちろん、チャッドな人は最低だから。更に何度も女から近付いての試しを否定した。俺は純粋心を持っている!

「昔に車を買った、そして翌日に壊れた。」

これでいい?

女バージョンですがなにか?

>read first definition
>huh what, grass eat lineage
>herbivore

like pottery

fuck I forgot to quote

純粋な心で女を好きになってみたら?

>ほうじちゃ
梅昆布茶味の方が美味しいんじゃぞ。

完璧 それでいい

未だ見つからないの。あいにく人間たちがほとんど腐ってる。

体験ですか?

What are the first kanji on the ほうじ茶 and 抹茶 signs?

焙じる ほうじる (v1,vt) to roast (i.e. tea leaves)

Come on user it's 1 google search away. Put some effort into it.

Maybe you should learn to read English before trying Japanese?

The tobira anki deck literally embeds jquery. Someone fix this.

so does the G-Anki deck

after clicking hyperlinks around jcat homepage
i found this Nip Learning resource site.
intersc.tsukuba.ac.jp/
and from there ttbj.jp/ this test site.
any thought on that online test?

CoR:
I wrote descriptions for each anki deck in the CoR. I'm going to work on other categories now.
pastebin.com/e9rRSLN7

Oh, view "raw" to get tab-separated-values.

Looks fun

I'm taking it now

神のご加護があらんことを
I understand that the priest saying this was blessing the other person, but...

>あらんことを
specifically,
>あらん
could someone please tell me what it is exactly? Like from what word does it come from, etc.

Found my answer.
okwave.jp/qa/q2654699.html

>頭を振る
>頭を垂れる
>頭が高い

Japan please

I just read all of these as あたま, why would I care about their stupid rules?

I bet they'll normalize those as such in the next few decades anyway.

>Pic related

Serious though, I wonder if Japs would still understand what you meant if you said all those but with あたま at the front, are there any Japs around to enlighten us?

大文字
おおもじ

I was shitposting, and I bet it'd sound very unnatural to them as those are expressions, I doubt they image the Kanji in their head when they hear it - if you get what I mean.

頭が高い aside (because 頭痛) I didn't even know 頭 could be read as かぶり&こうべ. Sounds kind of a pain to learn that, but I just mined them thanks to you so thanks.

>went to sleep at 3AM
>woke up 4PM
What the fuck happened? Why was I so tired? Do the Anki sessions wear me out that much?

It's called だいもんじ

You rack disciprine

Okay, I have to admit this test's grammar section was pretty hard. Breaking down the test:

SPOT90: Basically the listening comprehension part with a 4 second time limit. You only see the options for 4 seconds. The first one is easy and you should score full marks on it. For the second one, the speaker starts to talk in fast pace and slur her words on purpose. You can't rely on just listening for this part, you have to use your grammar knowledge. The third one is where they decide to fuck you. Lots of static, formal words and the speaker talks like the MC of Tatami Galaxy. There's a lot of ha and ga shit too which I fucking hate.

Grammar: Pretty much the same thing as J-CAT. The time limit is way more relaxed here. I'm pretty sure I got half the keigo questions wrong because I've never really bothered to study it in particular and just learn from reading.

Kanji: They read you a sentence and you pick the kanji used for a verb from 4 choices with a 4 second time limit. Pretty straightforward, but I fucked myself by not clicking the next button fast enough a few times. Again it was pretty easy.

Overall I'd say that this test is way easier than JCAT except for the 'artificial difficulty' introduced by setting extremely strict time limits. Comprehension really isn't tested in any capacity at all and the longest sentence you'll see is just three lines long. That's probably why JCAT is more recognised than this test, come to think of it.

Mind posting your j-neko scores for comparison?

Took this about 6 months ago

Interesting, thanks.

Tried this test and couldn't finish it. The artificial difficulty was too annoying.

>artificial difficulty
What did he mean by this?

They intentionally speak unclearly and add background noise. For example 見に行かない? sounded like みーーかない? Which isn't too bad, you can figure it out through knowing the relevant grammar. However you only get 4 seconds to answer the question. I just think it's kind of pointless. Sure it tests listening skill sort of, but it doesn't have much to do with listening comprehension.

Daily Tofugu sentence time.

go away

>stop reminding me I suck
it's ok user-kun we all were a beginner at one time

Can someone tell me why is it called "taking a shit" and not "leaving a shit"?

Why Engrish people?

What are your preferred pronouns?

I'll take 拙者/拙者-self/拙者-kin

>implying
tofugu is a cancer

I like 僕
It's friendly and cheerful, just like me.

我が名

why do people laugh at me for saying that?

In what way exactly is the scheduling order in 2k6k10k broken? I've been using it for about 2 months now and it seems to mostly make sense

In the download given in the CoR it starts at the ~4k mark.

Huh, I must have got it from somewhere else then because mine started with numbers and super basic words like kaeru and iku.

拙僧 or 予.

Sasuga Tofu "Defender of Women and Minorities" Gu, the website dedicated to learning Japanese

Yeah I know what you mean. If someone talked to me like that in real life I'd tell them to get the cock out of their mouth and talk like a normal human being

Same here. I got it from a pastebin link in the old guide IIRC.
The one that also had all the media files.

After 10 months I am getting increasingly bored of Anki to the point that I'm considering skipping today's reps. Reading is a chore because I can't read half the shit being said and even if I can read it I can't understand anything.

I guess shit really goes down the drain once you lose the one thing motivating you to learn this useless language.

あきらめるしかないな

Because people used to take the shit with them when they were done

why did i choose to study languages when I am a completely asocial autist?

How long did it take to do this test?

youtube.com/watch?v=0E00Zuayv9Q

for the cute anime girls

Around 35 minutes

It shouldn't take any longer than 45

I have a dog
I have a daughter
UGH!

>tfw no new game episode 13 today

>feels like I am doing absolutely terrible in anki
>check stats
>still 85% retention

But the new season starts soon.
Rejoice!

>kanji koohii
>every story that uses sexual imagery has dozens of downvotes and is hidden

What the hell

>お前だけは殺すからな
I'll kill only you?

Send help

Wanikani used to have Heil Hitler for every mnemonic with へい

>want to translate some Japanese songs
>no translations online
>not even the lyrics written anywhere
>not even in Japanese websites
>Japanese not nearly good enough yet

Do you guys think I could ask an anime fansub group or something?

You niggers are all too obsessed with percentages and charts and graphs and shit

>want to translate some Japanese songs
>no translations online
what? do you want to translate them or read them...

To translate the lyrics.

So just listen to the song and transcribe it yourself.

Unless they sing too fast and it's hard to follow.

It's just a phase of learning, you're only too obsessed with it if you still care about anki stats once you seriously start reading.

Retention rate matters if you're doing a lot of cards because it directly impacts how many cards you have to do the next day

My Japanese isn't that good yet as I said. Can figure out what some words are, and half of them I can't spell.

If you want to be successful, it always boils down to three important things:
smurferation, smurfiration and smurf.

Should have finished 3k words in a couple months so you could start reading right away

Reading shouldn't be that much of a chore after 10 months, do you mine?

RTK is pretty amazing.

Anyone wanna practice their Japanese by translating a song for me real quick?

fuck off

Depends on how long and untranslatably lyrical it is

why would you "translate" it then retard

Why do people translate things you fucking inbred?

You could ask here. Just post the song, maybe I know it already.

I'm trying to give my loli OC (donut steel) a cute name.

What does DJT think about 錨々 (Byoubyou)?
Sounds kinda Chinese to my ears, but I couldn't do any better (錨子 would be too cliché).

Also I'm not sure whether a 々 should be used on a personal name at all.

小丽

リア充爆発しろ

Just call her 錨ちゃん or 錨っ子

You should name her イカリ but written with different kanji. Like 烏賊凜.

I cannot figure out what the hell 世界の国 means
world country? that means nothing at all
google just gives me world flag apps
article: www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10010703711000/k10010703711000.html

countries of the world

does it really?
still doesn't make a lot of sense in the article

posting a classic

youtube.com/watch?v=zMTYnfTI97Y

>アメリカのITの会社のヤフーは、
As for the American IT company Yahoo,
>世界の国でヤフーのメールなどを使っている5億件以上のIDの情報が
The information of more than 500 million IDs using Yahoo Mail and other services across the globe
>盗まれていた
were stolen
>と発表しました
they announced

>across the globe
thanks man

What does it mean in a sentence if you end it with [negative verb] + と?

Like 休まないと? It looks to me like "if I don't sleep", but the sentence ends like that. Is it short for "I have to sleep"?

Read Tae Kim.

>Is it short for "I have to sleep"?

yes

Is there a chapter in tae kim titled 「negative verb」+ と, or will I have to read the whole thing to find the one random line that deals with this?

Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

Look for the chapters explaining the casual speech abbreviations. And read them all, so you won't have to ask any more questions here.

>It looks to me like "if I don't sleep", but the sentence ends like that
That's exactly what it means.
If I don't sleep (something will happen).

Alright, that should be a big help, so I'll do that. Thank you.

I assume it is actually more like a casual shortening of 休まないといけません

鰞理 - squid brain
鰞切 - squid slicer
鰞守 - squid protector
鰞俐 - clever squid

This is getting worse and worse... but I like the idea! Will keep digging.

Day 5

Goal - 8:00:00

Average - 8:17:08

When are some times that knowing Japanese made you feel like a BADASS?

How does that graph work?
I did Anki for 31 minutes today and played Atelier Sophie for 3 hours.

so that would give me:
Listening: 3:00:00
Reading: 3:00:00
Studying 0:31:00
?

I doubt you were reading text for that entire 3 hours though. Fag.

If you reading a visual novel for 3 hours, why would that count of 6 hours of Japanese? Reading and listening are separate for me because I read manga so I just have them separated. Also of course listening is active listening as in not doing anything else while listening, not background listening memes like that AJATT guy or something. Usually watching variety shows or anime.

I'm also looking at the images when I read manga so only 80% of that time counts?

Counting pages/chapters/volumes would make more sense than saying I did 4 hours of reading, that's why I'm wondering what that guy is doing.

He might as well just start a timer and space out after 30 minutes.

Yes? Manga is barely reading practice and no one who actually wants to learn Japanese wastes time on it.

Once I was showing a holographic table on YouTube to my Photography teacher.

He suddenly started reading the katakana in the title to show off and asked me "is that what it says?", expecting I would just shrug it off.
But I not only confirmed his reading, I also pronounced the kanji in a very matter-of-factly way, as if him knowing kana was nothing out of the ordinary.

That would not be a good idea actually because it depends on your level and difficulty of what you're reading, etc. Time is best because it's a universal number no matter how difficult or what you're trying to do. Time * Effort, but there isn't any realistic way to calculate effort, so time is the best metric to use.

Better make sure you interrupt the timer then everytime you turn a page or look up a word and only count the actual time spent reading.

What does it mean when a character is written smaller than the rest? For example: "きちょう" as opposed to "きちよう"?

Read the guide.

Maybe you should learn fucking kana before asking dumb questions idiot.

>this is the average /djt/ poster

You write them smaller to save time, as your pencil travels less that way.

Gave some Japanese tourists directions.

I'm not and I still don't understand your argument. Someone at an advanced level who reads a volume of manga with very little text gets almost nothing out of it compared to someone who's a low level reading a volume with a lot of text. They would both count as 1 volume and be equivalent in your mind though. Time is a much better metric than quantity.

You can't learn Japanese.

Fuck

>Time is a much better metric than quantity.
Still, there's no reason to use a metric at all. That's what I don't get.

To measure progress and consistency over a long period of time.

Still seems to me like that guy limits himself to 4 hours of reading when he could just go on if he wasn't interested in measuring his progress.

And you could read more than 3 hours of a visual novel if you set a minimum to 4 hours a day instead. Not sure what you're argument is, there is not limit. It's a minimum goal to push myself to be consistent. 8 hours a day of either listening, reading, or studying (anki basically). Consistency is the most important thing, and 8 hours a day is more than most people here. I'm sure everyone here has done 8 hours some days, but to do it consistently every day and keep an average over 8 hours is something most people don't know and requires more effort than most people are willing to put in.

thanks

It's a way of combining the kana to make a new sound. "Chi" + "Yo" makes "Cho". A small つ has a different effect though

I just spend every waking minute doing something related to studying Japanese so maybe that's why it just seems like a waste of time to me.

I can easily prove you wrong based on the fact that you're posting here right now.

That reminds me, I even dream in Japanese so I should count my time sleeping too.

This is what's wrong with today's Internet.

What's the best type of pencil to practice calligraphy with? I'm using a 0.5mm pencil and it doesn't show pressure points properly

筆ペン and 原稿用紙 or bust.

Advice from Japan: no one in Japan uses the Japanese you are learning but they understand it so don't stop.

Advice from japan #2: stop what you are doing and only listen to Japanese, it's the only thing that matters. Fuck learning just listen it somehow sinks in. (Protip: no subtitles ever.)

我輩プロですけどねぇ

學漢字不難拿

-那之職子

So I just started learning hiragana and katakana yesterday cuz I was board (cuz of this bored), and now I can't stop trying to read any of those that I come across.

A question about sound effects: I often see ッ and the end of most that I come across, it's not read as "tsu" right?
For example ハッ would be read as "haa" right?

.05mm is good enough, don't sweat it just focus on stroke order, a 筆ペン(ふでペン)(fude pen) is not good until you real got a handle on the strokes. I'm in japan in a calligraphy class if you need proof.

>拿
吾不欲寫之

真実はもう少し隠させてくれよブロ

It means the person stops speaking suddenly, kind of like an exclamation point, or that the sentence was cut off.

no, it's ha and cut the ha short. haa would be ハー or はー. little tsu(っ/ッ) is a small pause

>Advice from Japan: no one in Japan uses the Japanese you are learning but they understand it so don't stop.
I want this fucking meme to stop.

>intermediate/advanced hell
Quit before it is too late, do not start learning Japanese
The path has no end, it is but a mirage

Dunno 0.5mm looks too thin for me, or I probably just suck in writing

Being stuck in intermediate hell is still better than not being able to read untranslated content.

no meme, 大阪府に住んでいます。

Do not do this

Better to not think about the end. You will definitely get demoralized if you think "it will be X days before I am fluent", better to just make studying a bit each day a part of your routine, and let it kind of happen on its own.

ここはいいよ中級楽園 

umm you do realize this is suppose to be written with a big brush, of course it will look too thin, even with a fude pen it's too thin, get tons of kanji under your belt with proper stroke order if the handwriting is what you're into.

日本に住んでいますか?

お前か

Time to buy a brush then

I was thinking the same at the beginning but this positive thinking is bullshit.
I invested too much time to quit now and it will take me a very long time to master the language.

Enjoying manga, video games and LNs is great and all but each day I am remembered of how shit I am at the language. Idioms, convoluted grammar, fucking ten trillion of 擬音語・擬態語, the japanese names , etc.

After 5 years I still don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Don't start, don't throw your time away.

はい、大阪府人、柏原市に住んでいます。あなたは?

>原稿用紙
You don't use manuscript paper for practising writing fucking calligraphy. You use 半紙.

Is Japanese useful profesionally outside of Japan?

No.

I just grabbed my textbook for my next year of Japanese classes at a new school. I've decided to take them at my local university instead of local college. I opened it up and it's literally all romaji. This is a second year textbook! Fucking weak.

幻想郷

yes

Thankfully not everyone is a sad cunt like you who claims to be intermediate/advanced yet still lurks and posts in an English language Japanese learners thread designed for anons who can't shitpost among natives, yet. It's a difference in attitude, really. Some people are simply incapable of enjoying the roller coaster because they're too busy focusing on the length of the queue of the next ride.

Textbook name?

yep, not bad idea your penmanship is decent, time to upgrade, I just got a new brush today. always remember stroke order matters if your serious about writing, good to have you on board in the handwriters crew.

Japanese: The Spoken Language. Emphasis on Spoken, I suppose. Published in fucking 1988. The A's and Dodgers have won a world series since then for fucks sake.

I'm looking forward to seeing how shitty this class really is. I've heard horror stories about the Japanese department hear but decided to see for myself. Starting to think that was the wrong decision.

Get your neckbeard under control m8.

Has anyone else felt writing down kana and kanji has bettered their roman handwriting?

braid beard for life, its how I got to Japan

I told myself to keep studying until subs dropped for the new danganronpa episode.

This may have been a mistake.

You are now figuring out academia is mostly a scam? At least what you take out of humanities departments.

Sure, but also my drawing ability in general.

That's why the nips are so good at scribbling.

in what ways? its hard for me to say, im left handed and ive only wrote jap for 2 yrs

>負けるにしても最善を尽くせ
Even if you lose, do your best!

I am having hard time accepting this translation, it doesn't logically make sense to me, why would you do your best even if you lose, is that not the point you stop doing your best because you are not longer competing therefore any further effort is useless?

If it was "Even if you lose, keep doing your best!" I could kind of see the intent of the message, the implication of you shouldn't let your efforts be wasted and not to give up.

There is no further context to the translation it is just a entry for にしても.

Second semester course looks like this for me.
We don't have a book just handouts with exercises.

Is that the Contemporary Japanese workbook? It looks quite familiar.

what time does seria open near 王寺駅?

starting to drop hane's on my my regular lettering. Looks nice and almost calligraphic. Haven't noticed any significant changes to my cursive, though.

Is it true that first semester goes by with just learning kana?

It's more like "even if you know you're going to lose..."

>Is it true that first semester goes by with just learning kana?
Pretty much, + everyday phrases and simple grammar.

>Japanese: The Spoken Language. Emphasis on Spoken, I suppose.
That's a pretty good textbook series to work through in a class environment if you get a lot of opportunity to do the practical aspects. But yeah, it definitely is orientated towards speaking more than anything else. Kind of surprised the university is using it, as many universities have been shifting towards more focus on things like writing exercises over speaking exercises.
Either way, it's very hard for a conventional few hours a week language course to have a balanced approach. Simply requires too much time to be effective beyond the technical structural aspects.
Does the university have an exchange program in the next year or at a later point? If you can get into one of those with a scholarship covering most/all of the costs, it can make the classes at lot more worth it, what with course credits being offered for what boils down to a paid holiday. My country has a lot of sister cities and university exchange programs all around the world, from what I've noticed over the years. A younger relative a few years ago was able to spend two years of his three year degree in China, but he could have done it at something like half a dozen universities in Japan.
Creating connections and all that sort of shit are kind of the unspoken benefits of university.

That is terrible. How can they get away with these scams?

That looks like a photocopy from Genki, the textbook I used in college. Looks a lot better than this one. At least it was published in the 21st century.

I've actually applied to study abroad in Nagasaki in Spring.

There's a difference between having lost and losing. If you have already lost you can stop trying your best. If you are in the process of losing, you have to keep trying.

山田さんの命と私の命は同じを聞こえていだよ。。。

It kind of looks like you're writing really really slowly

Well, the courses are designed for people with literally no knowledge about Japan or another language.

I think it's pretty fair for people who don't really want to put in effort.

>I've actually applied to study abroad in Nagasaki in Spring.
Nice, user. Age of consent is 13, if you can get the parents approval. Something worth keeping in mind.

Japanese communities are no better than Cred Forums
Whatever, I passed the N2 two years ago and I spend most of my free time enjoying Japanese stuff. It is a very demanding language to learn and the time you need to spend on it should not be underestimated.

Enjoy crashing into a wall

No that's a meme the real age of consent is 18 in all of Japan. Besides you're still subject to the laws of the country you are a citizen of, specifically to prevent sex tourism.

Thanks, but I am a citizen of the USA which would mean I would be committing a crime by having sex with someone under 18 even if it were legal in the country the act took place in because my fucking country polices its citizens outside of it's borders.

>land of the free

>if you can get the parents approval
H-hey Mrs. Tanaka, mind if I shag your underage daughter?
Not at all, please go ahead. Very nice of you to ask first.

>just came across 円高
I repent for calling any of the words in Core useless.

Scan it please

>Whatever, I passed the N2 two years ago and I spend most of my free time enjoying Japanese stuff.
>Enjoy crashing into a wall
Could you be any of a passive aggressive little bitch? Passed N2 two years ago but are still defensively posting on a thread for Japanese learners, on an English language anonymous image board?

You're fucking pathetic and all you are doing is projecting how much of a loser you are and assuming everyone else will undergo that.

How would you get caught though? Surely the Japanese police aren't going to arrest you for something which is legal in their country but not in America? And surely the Americans have no way of monitoring you outside their jurisdiction?

Even if Japan doesn't allow it, there must be countries with no real age of consent that are perfectly happy to accept tourist money, right?

>Even if Japan doesn't allow it, there must be countries with no real age of consent that are perfectly happy to accept tourist money, right?
Yes, certain south american and african countries I'm sure. I'm not sure exactly how you'd get caught, but the risk is if you do somehow get caught, "15 gets you 20" will apply to you.

Yes, my naive user, child sex tourism is a real thing and is prevalent in impoverished nations such in South America, South and Southeast Asia, Africa, and Eastern Europe. You're better off asking /trv/ about this at this point though, you sick fuck.

if i stop posting for 5 fuckin seconds this is what happens

>Passed N2 two years ago but are still defensively posting on a thread for Japanese learners, on an English language anonymous image board?
How does this matter? Are you opposed to him posting in a thread for Japanese learners or do you think it's stupid for him to post on an English image board?

Should I have abandoned English and started using the shitty German web when I got to a level where I could?

>Should I have abandoned English and started using the shitty German web when I got to a level where I could?
There's this notion amongst new jap learners that there's a massive jap web out there that obsoletes the English one.

Yeah, I can totally see that, lots of it in Africa, America, Europe and the Middle East.

Surely, you jest.
Your posts can't be that significant important.

おはようおにいちゃん

わ ってのはもっと前からありそうな古さだよ

Iみたいなひびき

Are we learning Japanese right?

I doubt this everyday.

No, you're supposed to sing songs like grade schoolers and write out pages of kana/kanji everyday.

but have I learneded englush right?

all i know is the sickos are too busy hating me or w/e to post sicko shit when i am posting でも大丈夫私がいるから晴れになーれ

If you weren't raised here, then no.

You probably learned grammar no one even knows about.

Don't worry. They are damaged goods.
君は君のままでいいよ

I'm still somewhat shocked that I read one of the things I was most hyped for within half a year of starting to learn the language... I really CAN learn Japanese! Although I wish I could skip 5 years into the future so I could be fluent already.

uh.... this is the internet, where the hell is "here" ? I cannot see you...

You'll quit soon and this will happen to all the knowledge in your brain.

I don't think you can handle a high context language like Japanese, user-chan.

その言葉を本当に信じているか

youtu.be/TVbstlqcXs4#t=160

I think it is you who lacks the cognitive ability to comprehend. Not everyone lives in the United States of Trump.

DJT Poll time:

How many hours a day do you guys (honestly) spend studying and how many per week for those of you that don't have a set schedule?

If by studying you include reading 2-4h on average.

24/7, it's become my life.

10 minutes per day. I am fluent already

Yorokushiongaishimatsu!

日本語クラスにサインアップしたが、あまり日本語で喋るの経験がない
しかも日本語で書く事とか、今まで全然しなかった
見たとおり仮名を読めるけどあいにく日本語には「読める」と「書ける」は全然違う

(前文は全部日本語の文法練習です。構わないでください)
(まぁ案内すればくれていいですけど…)

私はゲイしたがあまりちんこしゃぶり経験がない

It just hurts to watch this.
It's a wonder the girl he's skyping with could hold it in for that long.

私は小さい頃からおしゃぶり経験あるよ

>I read one of the things I was most hyped for within half a year of starting to learn the language
What was it?

>喋るの経験
喋る経験
>書く事
書くこと
>を読める
が読める

Filthy 初心者 here, what is this intermediate hell and what are its main struggles?

I like how him and his girlfriend disappeared for months and never posted a 3 month video because they knew they were shit

Also me on the left in the yellow

>Also me on the left in the yellow
Fuck, you're cute. And sassy too.
Nice job user.

事のことはなんのこととか思われたことのある方なんてこった

It's when you know enough to start grasping how much you have left to learn.

I love these. There was one video like this with animations and stuff to accompany it I think? I saw it a while ago but I can't find it anymore. If anyone has more please post.

Is the の obsolete because I have used one of those so called 'verb clauses' to modify the 経験?

>DJT is wrong don't listen to them!
>let me post the guy DJT got most of their opinions from
Not to mention the site Steve shills for works pretty much the same as reading VNs with text hooker.

It's called 連体形, you'll get it eventually.

You got it.

>>let me post the guy DJT got most of their opinions from
I'll have you know, steve didn't become a meme until like thread #1k. DJT was founded on namasensei and doing your reps fifty fucking times.

>He's been visiting djt since the beginning and still doesn't know Japanese.
情けないぞ、おじさん

DJT was founded on pictures of kanji and #fuckthemods

Dumb wage slave that I am, I only make myself about 2 hours on weekdays; an hour and a half with anki and then reading grammar guides in bed. For the weekend add to that maybe 2-4 hours attempting to read or doing something else extra.

>pictures of kanji
Have a good one.

yes, literally pictures of kanji

Didn't they have IMEs back then?

0 hours
Anime is all I need

yeah they used pictures of kanji anyways

>still doesn't know Japanese.
Says who? I can confidently say I could pass the N3 so I'm pretty much fluent.

30 minutes doing anki a day is the only time I consider studying, but pretty much all entertainment I consume is in Japanese nowadays.
Usually 5-8 hours of playing games or reading VN in Japanese, or 4-6 hours of reading LN when I'm at work.

Ah this makes sense.
You kind of have to relearn the way Japanese grammar is really constructed when you get to learning the bases, as you've previously basically been told some convenient grammatical white lies.
Does anyone have any helpful sources when it comes to reading about grammar in-depth other than imabi?

>N3
>fluent

>responding seriously to a shitpost

>claims to know Japanese
>can't write the kanji that he supposedly "knows"
I wonder how many people in here this applies to. Be honest.

>Does anyone have any helpful sources when it comes to reading about grammar in-depth other than imabi?
If you want to learn Japanese the Japanese way, search for 国語. However I don't think it's worth focusing on until you are already near-fluency and want to discuss Japanese grammar with Japanese people. In that case you are going to need 国語 terminology. Otherwise the "grammatical white lies" as you call them are sufficient.

>writing
what a loser lol

That applies to a lot of natives too

So due to sickness I finally became a NEET for at least a year.

I want to use this free time to step up my japanese learning game.

I have around 8-10 hours a day available to me for a year. Does anyone have a schedule they follow or recommend. Focused on heavy work load as to learn it faster designed for lifeless people?

I did a lot of writing practice but I'm sure I forgot most of it.

I'm not even sure if I could write all katakana from memory.

8 hours of anime a day

>you've activated his trap

Baldr Sky Any good
Listed as advanced in the readinglist so I figure Ill give it a try if it is

NEETs are not made, they are born.

Good.

It's easy actually, if you want something advanced read Muramasa.

People say it's good but I got bored after a few chapters and dropped it

It's not really advanced. Aside from some infodump scenes, it's relatively easy to read.

Sorry for the potential blog post, but some of the English->Japanese learners I see on HelloTalk and such really put me off. If you're going to be using piss poor nihongo be considerate and don't use English only a native could understand ..

The advanced part for me are the massive amount of menu options that I can't hook, also I'm too dumb to figure out the controls/on screen stuff. Text is easy though

Im pretty sure that will blow me up but sure ill try it.
Cant get better unless you try harder things

a minimum of 5 new vocabulary words in anki per day. this is life support rate. 10+ is highly recommended, 15+ bare minimum if you're a real neet with no paperwork or obligations or social interactions, 20+ if you care about japanese, 30+ if you don't have a disability-tier memory, and 40+ if you're also a savant.

I don't even bother with the menu shit. I just randomly press buttons during combat and I end up winning.

HelloTalk has some really chill dudes.
大麻は悪くない!

Please tell me you are playing on hard difficulty at least

Why would I do that? I don't really care enough about the combat on Baldr Sky honestly. I like doing the occasional retarded combo but that's about as deep as my interest on the gameplay on Baldr Sky goes.

Jesus christ stop breathing

Okay

I can write up to 29 stroke atrocities and the only occasion where I actually had to use the skill is writing 明けましてお目出度う御座います on a card.
Guy who got it joked about me being a tryhard for not using kana like everyone else.

I want my time back, writefags.

The readinglist levels are meaningless. "Advanced" just means it's a VN. But really, unless you are reading without a text hooker, VNs will often be easier than manga or whatever. They just end up with a high kanji count due to the medium and length, and therefore end up being forced into advanced.

>目出度う御座
Well he wasn't wrong you know.

I'm sure he's right, I was just desperate to use the skill I spent 3 months learning on something.

大麻栽培を義務教育に取り入れよう!

ahaha that's hilarious thanks for the heads up man i'm never writing shit

Learning to write kanji helps tremendously for some people because it reinforces their memory of the kanji and also adds another sensory input to help reinforce it even further.

Of course, everybody learns differently. However, I am extremely thankful to have learned how to write every kanji that I can read.

I feel you. Writing moonrunes is fun anyway fuck the police and that guy.

When does Rewrite start? I'm tired of reading the MC's ramblings about stupid bullshit like ramen.

Dialogues in textbooks are so fucking stupid

>lets just throw a bunch of near native speed conversation at you when you barely know 200 words
>it's okay because you know all the words! you should totally just study at these 200 words until you can have conversations with natives about where the bus stop is but nothing else

Common route is the best part of it buddie. If you don't get it it's probably too high level Japanese for you as it is written by Romeo.

>I'm tired of reading the MC's ramblings about stupid bullshit
VNs aren't for you, then.

Is flyable hearts a good VN to start out with if you've never read anything other than Yotsuba?

20 is easy even if you have a full time job, I would expect 30 from a NEET at the very least. If you can regularly remember every single new card from the previous day then you're not going fast enough.

You should savor that "bullshit" because the common route is 100x better than most of the shitty routes in that VN.

I write down every kanji I "learn" because it helps me memorize them, but in general I can't produce them for shit. From time to time I do a review on writing the easiest ones and I keep lying to myself that I will at some point study beyond that.

>Is flyable hearts a good VN
No.
Anything but other little girl manga is going to be hard as fuck for you so pick whatever and struggle through it.

>I would expect 30 from a NEET at the very least.
If you're a neet you better be doing fucking more than 30
You should be doing 30 as a non neet

What are you even complaining about here?

how fucking useless the standard class methodology for languages is and how it manages to not be based in any sort of grounds in how people actually learn languages

You might be all right even without any extra study. The way I see it, by the time you've encountered the word enough to understand properly when it should be used, then you will have seen enough of it to remember what it looks like. The main thing is just to know how all the radicals go

djt sucks

Nah, it actually takes writing practice to memorize writing them. Even kanji I'd recognize immediately can be super hard to remember when you try to write them, even fairly basic ones. On the other hand nowadays you always have a smartphone so even if you really needed to handwrite some shit in kanji (笑) you can do a quick look-up.

The more serious plot doesn't really start until after the common route. Although I found it was much more fun if you go in expecting a fun moege, I read it expecting just a standard Key SoL nakige and it was great.

Yes.

to the people who do 30+ words a day, do you:
1) remember how to write it
2) remember correct verb particle usage
3) are able to pick it up from speech
or do you just associate it with an English word and move on?

>1) remember how to write it
>2) remember correct verb particle usage
>3) are able to pick it up from speech

Why would you bother with any of those if you're a beginner? The third would be nice but it isn't feasible to do in anki.

The point of spamming vocab in anki isn't to teach you the language, it's to take the difficulty of Japanese down closer to the difficulty of languages written in the latin alphabet, because when you look at words you know how they are pronounced. You then figure out the rest through reading/listening.

>or do you just associate it with an English word and move on?
Honestly the English word doesn't even matter so much, it's just the pronunciation that is important. Especially for more abstract or idiomatic words (かかる、くれる, 適当) where it would be stupid to try to understand them fully as a beginner. I will mark some stuff right if I know the reading even if I don't get the meaning, because I would rather train the meaning in context. Although usually, once the interval gets to a month or two I will mark it wrong if I don't have some rough idea of the meaning.

Today I did Anki for 46 minutes and then I read a visual novel for 2 hours and 28 minutes.

>core deck to your mining deck

i've been studying 2 months now (albeit at a pace i feel is slower than what i could be doing), slowly reading through tae kim's grammar guide as i learn more vocab through the 2k/6k core pack. i've read a bit of yotsuba with the guides. what is this mining pack thing?

Are you a need?

How much time do you put into anki every day?

It means you try to read stuff and save the words you don't know (i.e. mine them).

>Are you a need?
not in education, employment or detroit

No, that'll come much, much later.
Yes.
Easy words, yes. Hard words take longer to sink in.
>or do you just associate it with an English word and move on?
I associate them with their respective objects/actions/concepts, not with an english translation.
For example, 気球 is 気球, not "balloon".

1) No
2) What? You mean intrasitivity? Fuck that.
3) Yes

ah that makes sense. make your own anki deck for words you're having trouble with/don't know.

thanks friend, we're all going to make it.

I do an hour for my vocab deck each day but it's Mandarin not Japanese
I do an average of ~70 words a day though, so you all should be able to handle 30

Fortunately I'm in school, not a job. So I just do my anki in the morning then go do other stuff for the rest of the day. But even with a job it would be possible to do 1 hour a day.

When you guys talk about so easily adding all these words it boggles my mind. I struggle with 20 a day taking around 2 hours to do all my reps. Constantly failing over and over. I guess I'm not gifted with a memory. All I have is my time investment forbidding me to quit at this point.

>20 a day taking around 2 hours to do all my reps
If it's your first month then it's fine.

well I have been learning for a couple years now. I wouldn't say I'm a beginner, but definitely not advanced.

I'm just curious because I try to fully learn my words. I usually don't do more than 10 new words a day and usually only about 15 review. I'm wondering why I go so much slower than everybody else seems to. I don't know if I need work harder, or if I am learning about the same, but just more per word. also I read a lot.

also i took a psychology class in college and they warned people against only learning the sounds. they called them "junk sounds" so people could recall the word but it was useless when actually using them or comprehending them in a sentence.

I'm 2.3k into core and 400 into mining. My brain is fucked.

> 2)
I mean I look for examples and make sure I'm using the correct particles to express my thoughts. most of the time they follow the rules of my grammar books, but sometimes they are not as intuitive to me

> they called them "junk sounds" so people could recall the word but it was useless when actually using them or comprehending them in a sentence.
That's why you read. But I was thinking more of Core 6k level words, where you will see them tons in reading, so you don't have to learn the meaning right away. For rarer words and mined words I would of course test myself on the meaning.

>I'm just curious because I try to fully learn my words.
Well if you try to write them all that explains why it's so slow, but I think that's a pretty big waste of time desu. At two years you should at least be close to the level where you can go through everything in anki the day you mine it.

> I usually don't do more than 10 new words a day and usually only about 15 review.
At this level it almost sounds like you aren't even doing anki.

Why do you try to learn these things through anki? Anki is meant for testing small, simple pieces of information. Keep your anki simple and go watch more anime.

2 hours is what, 1k+ reps a day? Just stop adding new cards until you get that shit under control m8. Continuing to spend 2 hours a day in anki is hopeless, unless your total study time per day is 8+ hours total.

>only about 15 review.
>I'm wondering why I go so much slower than everybody else
Gee, what a mystery indeed.

15 reviews? That can't be right. Even if you hit easy on everything it shouldn't be so few.

I don't do anki any more. when I started out I was and I was able to keep up with 20+ words a day using anki. I was able to do that because of what you said (you encounter them so much it your forced to learn it). now i don't feel comfortable just clicking "yes" or "no" to understanding the words (especially with verbs) because there is so much more than just recalling an English definition. like what if I do know the meaning, but forgot the kanji. also what if I can reproduce the kanji, but not notice it if I see it in the wild. what about hearing it in the wild?

At first, no, only recognition. I do writing practice separately, though.
By this do you mean grammatical classification, verb transitivity, suru-verbs, and such? If so, yes.
Yeah, this is the easiest part.

I don't do anki. also I have a very good retention rate so I don't really need to review that much. it's my new words I guess that bother me.

1000 reps in 2 hours gives you 7.2 seconds each, that's barely enough time to play the whole sentence.

>I worried about stupid shit so much I dropped anki
>I'm wondering why I go so much slower than everybody else seems to

Is it just me that thinks it's weird saying そんな俺?

>play the whole sentence.
Ohhh. I see where you are going wrong.

>I don't do anki
Then obviously that's why you're so slow. You choose not to use a tool designed to speed up your study, and wonder why you are slower than other people who do use it?

I was at 2 hrs anki per day with only 200 reviews.

sauce, i love age gap yuri

>>I don't do wanikani
>Then obviously that's why you're so slow. You choose not to use a tool designed to speed up your study, and wonder why you are slower than other people who do use it?

shit I can't see my (you)s and don't feel like looking. thanks for everybody who gave advice. I'll have to figure something out. at this rate I'll never learn this language

I wonder who could be behind this post

I had like 340 today not taking new cards into account.

Have been using wanikani for about 4 months now.

It actually makes me kind of lazy on other fronts. Wanikani works great for what it does but it makes anki and learning grammar a drag.

I actually damaged my learning speed by starting wanikani because I lessened my vocab and grammar studies as a direct result.

ヴァンパイアなんて架空の生き物だし、ましてここは現代の至って平和な国だ。

What's with the だし?

し is like から except し implies "among other things"

1)No. I can remember the radicals if they are common but thats about it.
2)If I can remember the word then yes, but 80% of cards I see ill forgot in 10 minutes. Anki for me is for the exposure to new words in an easy way, rather then try and remember every single word.
3) Yes its when I hear it in context or read it in context that they really start to stick.

Oh ok. I just didn't know you could put a だ before it like that.

し is から + nado

Yep it's a full blown conjunctive particle as far as modern japanese is concerned

Who are you quoting?

>Oh ok. I just didn't know you could put a だ before it like that.
bunpou.neocities.org/基本basic.html#㊦ し
The formation tables in the A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar books can be very useful for these sorts of things.

Upboat.

>Upboat.
?

It's 出し, short for 中出し.

That's kind of lewd.

制服に何パンツをはいているのが正解か
くまさん?

someone ask for lewd

lewd please

W-what's this?

You need to learnt to just give up on certain cards then. or just decide quicker if you remember the card or not.

In case you missed the reference, that's 花子 from ゆるゆり, who ends most of her sentences with だし.

>ご注文はよろしい
>一つエッチください
スイートプールサイド, saw it when i finished vol 4 of 悪の華

i miss every reference cause i havent read dick all, still a beginner

observed

When did you first start reading?

What was the first thing you read?

How many words did you know? What grammar book(s) did you go through?

>When did you first start reading?

A few weeks in maybe.

>What was the first thing you read?

Yotsuba

>How many words did you know? What grammar book(s) did you go through?

A couple hundred? Skimmed Tae Kim and read like 70% of Japanese the Manga Way.

sometime
something
some number
some few

Right away
Yotsuba
Whatever I learned from anime
Kimchi Tim

5-6 months in
yotsubato
>How many words did you know?
dont remember maybe 1500/2k
What grammar book(s) did you go through?
tae '2 kimchi fridge' kim, bit of dojg, yotsuba reading pack

>スイートプールサイド
Fuck, I was hoping it's ero.
Oh well, gonna read this shit anyway to see if I can jerk to it.

What's the point of these posts?

'the point of' line of questioning will always conclude in sinking black hole of existential nihilism friendo

radical freedom

Human interaction and sharing anecdotes related to the language learning progress. I guess those sorts of things confuse and bewilder the autist.

youtube.com/watch?v=vihzF0EMR9A

Some BGM to do your anki to. Imagine you're in a Japan cafe. Swirls of coffee aroma fill your head. Outside is bustling but inside it's slow and quiet.

youtube.com/watch?v=V9Xu6mkacg8
youtube.com/watch?v=SMfB1REALp4
I find natural sounds comfier when studying and doing reps.

>Imagine you're in a Japan cafe.
With this crippling social anxiety, that sounds extremely uncomfortable.

youtube.com/watch?v=lB8IYfRkJYY

>With this crippling social anxiety, that sounds extremely uncomfortable.
youtube.com/watch?v=DcQFBdLNvZU

日常2期見たいよね~

Maybe 3 weeks in
I don't remember, I kept getting frustrated and changing what I read. Or I got bored.
>How many words did you know? What grammar book(s) did you go through?
Maybe 1k words and 3/4 of tyler kim

ばぶばぶわたしはべびー

>案外。。。あっけないものね
>魔法少女の最期なんて
Can I get a second opinion on this please? Something like "The last moments of a magical girl... are unexpected and swift"?

あっけない is just like "What, that's it?" so weaker/easier than expected
good to check jj dics if you have confusions like that

"Holy fucking shit mate, magic broads are easy as SHIT to BTFO, fucking LOL !"

commie would like to hire you

So, it's more or less to demonstrate a degree.
I think I got it, but could use some work.
Thanks anons

Reading is hard
Maybe ill wait till i've studied 3 months

It will be hard in 3 months as well.

>[skill] is hard
>Rather than practising it to get better at it I'm going to wait 3 months and find it just as hard as before

this meaning of し does not agree with tae Kim (guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete/multiple_verbs) nor my genki book. is it wrong or can し also mean and (without implying から)

it will be hard in 3 years too

Not if you read for 3 years

Does muramasa not have any actual adjustable resolution settings?

Tae kim says it means "Because" so he's basically right the only thing wrong is that he gives the impression that using several し in a sentence is normal when it's actually more common to just use a single one
it emphasizes the reason more so than から which is more neutral

heh I bet your pretty new, kid. how long have you been learning nippongo? 5 months? 6 months? and you seriously think you will be able to read easily in 3 years? how bout you actually learn for 3 years, then come see me. I'll have some nhk easy articles ready for you to translate. that is, if your up for the challenge

that's what I thought, but the link the other user posted (some groceries website) says that しcan just mean "and" without meaning "because." for example

食べたし、飲んだ
I ate and drank.

which I think is wrong. or is there another usage of し I just don't know about?