Why don't anime studios hire people who can actually speak English for scenes with spoken English?

Why don't anime studios hire people who can actually speak English for scenes with spoken English?

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/numtid.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=JnrLoCHK7GE
youtube.com/watch?v=8_0zYcj-43E
youtube.com/watch?v=eAbY6_geC_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=rARqZbqTPhg
youtube.com/watch?v=Den9L_HFN8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=5ncADFZgvnk
youtube.com/watch?v=sujF161hziE
youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU
a.pomf.cat/zqxyuv.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=rN0dswy9O6M
youtube.com/watch?v=VqbtbTSeai0
youtube.com/watch?v=xlGYJtude3U
youtube.com/watch?v=gg4IP0WRK8I
youtube.com/watch?v=GL-zaHA7SmQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who cares, Engrish is funny.

my.mixtape.moe/numtid.webm

The (japanese) audience are unable to notice the difference.

Probably lack of English VA in Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=JnrLoCHK7GE

Not worth the extra $50.

I mean they could just put up a sign saying "1000 yen for 5 minutes of speaking" and have a random tourist do it though

Japs would probably notice the voice change.

I just mean for one-off characters that have one line for the entirety of the show

It wuz wizzhin zhe rherm of possibirity. On it's own, humanity is incapabrl of keeping zhe angers in zheck. Zhe anarysys purring a purmafrost extracshun of zhe thurd angers wuz so exshtenshive, arr that wuz left wurr zhe bones. And zhat wuz zhe concrusion.

Wish zhat sed. Guud ruck!

My guess is budget limitations. Given that they use the VAs already working to do minor and background roles as well, they are trying to scrape the most they can out of their investments.

Having said that, I would legit be okay with being paid absolute bottom dollar to say some English lines for Taiwanese slide shows.

Man Free was so fucking good. Don't know how I feel about it having broken the Kyoani curse though.

Only murricans care about this

Kiniro Mosaic?

Otherwise the japanese audience wouldn't understand anything

Because they would demand actual payment.

No shit.

Similar to how actors have dialect and accent coaches, voice actors need English pronunciation coaches. Not only will it benefit the authenticity of their works, it'll also benefit the voice actors themselves.

Thing is, most Japanese people have their weird sense of pride and won't accept help even when it's so obvious that they can't do it without help.

Wait, how does an animator make less than a unemployed college student?

Where is the college student getting their money? I mean I guess if they had a part time job but that would fall under the part timer category.

Animator fell for the non-STEM-is-legitimate meme.

How can you live off of 10k?

LET ME SEE YOUR JOHNNY

Dunno, same place they get the world-travel finding-yourself money I guess.

How do you live off none?

But Kaji is actually japanese so there was nothing wrong here.

Maybe that's how much the animator makes with that studio, and they take jobs with several?

That's what a burger would say.

32k is US poverty line right? Or was it closer to 20?

Did the English language change that much once people got to space?

Did you already forget about the director?

Every degree is viable, the difference is how in-demand it is and how well a starting job in a relevant field is. Simply having a degree makes any job in a non-relevant field have to pay you more.

The animator probably didn't go to college.

>Simply having a degree makes any job in a non-relevant field have to pay you more.

Holy shit, such delusion.

You don't, unless you're a hermit living in the middle of nowhere with very few wants, or you have parental/government support.

This is literally only a problem with Americans (remember, you don't matter in the grand scheme).

He's right, which is why you're more likely to not be hired at all and be stuck working fast food where no one cares what degree you have

>Hey, what the fuck? You've got a fucking problem?

He's not right. Not even remotely. There are no laws that require you to pay someone more for having a degree. If you get a job as a burger flipper you're going to get paid the same as someone who has no degree. McDonald's doesn't give a shit about you or your degree.

>tfw it's still gibberish when they get someone who does speak english

I literally just said that.

>Erh?

Why don't they have real animal sounds when they have a dog or a cat in a show?

Sometimes they do.
Eden of the East hired a bawdy black lady to ask the MC to drop trou and show her his johnny in the first episode or so.

More proof that Polygon does things right.

I agree about it being good but what curse are you talking about?

Eden of the East was really cool to hire actual Americans.

>Americans
>English
Gross

If you're hired as a burger flipper and have a degree you're more likely to become a manager on that basis

In fact they do care if you have a degree, but I guess salty autists who have been bullied their whole lives bought into the "I'm a nerd so I'll be rich someday" meme that people have been pushing for 50 years.

In reality if you're unable to translate your English degree into a job which pays well then clearly you're just an idiot.

STEM btw is the degree for idiots who were intelligent enough to avoid getting a degree which they didn't know what they were going to do with, since it's a no brainer to translate most STEM degrees to an existing market.

Stay salty

Apparently they really don't like gaijins at all and dumb down their audience instead of being culturally diverse. Sounds like racism and xenophobia to me. That's Japanese pride for you.

>wife frau baw
that's the weirdest part

Jesus, you're delusional. No one gives a fuck about your basket weaving degree and you certainly wont get promoted just because you have one. A degree is not some intrinsically valuable thing.

Love Winnie

Frau is probably short for Fraulein assuming the sender is german.

Because no-one in the primary audience could tell the difference, much less give a shit, so it's pointless effort and expense. Native English speakers who watch subtitled are by and large used to it, and it's completely irrelevant to dub watchers.

Frau in the correct context would mean wife (meine Frau). Wife is redundant. Baw is also a ridiculous forename.

So, it translates to "How's your wife, wife Baw?"
Doesn't that sound stupid?

>STEM btw is the degree for idiots who were intelligent enough to avoid getting a degree which they didn't know what they were going to do with
That's some serious mental gymnastics you have going on there, I hope it helps you recover your hurt feelings when you're stuck using that English degree to write manuals for a STEM major's newest toy.

No, Frau is just the character's name. And before you start talking about how it's not supposed to be a name, I remind you how most Gundam characters have fucking stupid names.

"Fraw Bow" is her full name, it isn't German. The Gundam franchise is well-known for ridiculous names

youtube.com/watch?v=8_0zYcj-43E

HAO HAO HAO

Are those the redheaded guy's parents? Why isn't he blond like they are?

>Why don't anime studios hire secondary VAs to cover short scenes in English when they're targeting an audience that neither speaks English nor gives a shit?
I wonder.

Cindy's english VA was the dub actress, too. That scene is probably why they never dubbed s2.

Homestay parents. Not related.

>ready? is that so

Go away boomer/college loan officer.

They usually free lance when they are not on the clock (apparently.)

Who knows

youtube.com/watch?v=eAbY6_geC_Y

They did get a native or decent spanish speaker for Tari Tari. Surely they could do the same for a minor anglophone character.
youtube.com/watch?v=rARqZbqTPhg

It does happen, from time to time. But most likely when it does happen it's because there happens to be a native speaker handy and known to the production staff, not because anyone said "hey, let's go and hire a native speaker for this minor part".

Are those how Australians talk, don't they have an accent? Even the 'mate' sounded forced.
They should also hire a real dog VA.

Brazilian apparently.
Which considering its a br speaking spanish, and singing it even!, in a japanese mongolian puppet show, it's pretty fucking good.

Housing in Japan is cheap, Ive heard. You can get a nice cheap apartment in Tokyo for what a shack and box in San Francisco would cost

and isn't Tokyo still more expensive than the rest of Japan?
IIRC there are even businesses for buying those apartments and then renting them out

Even western studios just hire local actors to pretend theyre german or whatever and use a retarded accent while speaking english.
Japanese studios with their extremely low budgets and japanese target audience have even less incentive to hire foreigners.
Personally I dont see the point of going out of your way to make the setting be in a non-english country and then have everyone speak english.

youtube.com/watch?v=Den9L_HFN8Y

This is my favorite English speaker.

Because money.

Except the idea that there was anyone in that control room who had any idea what the hell he just said.

That is an accurate Aussie accent, yes. It's subtler than the stereotypical one, which is only used by a minority in mostly regional areas.

Yeah, that's how Australians talk. I'm not 100% convinced on the woman, but the man is definitely Australian.

The man was spot on. The woman sounded unnatural.
>Are those how Australians talk, don't they have an accent? Even the 'mate' sounded forced.
Nice bantz made me reply/10
t.australian

The real question is, Why do japanese keep trying to use English while they don't give a single shit to foreigners?

Exoticism.

Someone post that message from animators living in poor conditions.

youtube.com/watch?v=5ncADFZgvnk

For the same reason Americans don't care about having real foreign language in their media and would rather have a non native feign it so it sounds more like what the general American audience thinks it's supposed to sound like.

Not really, Hollywood has easy access to foreigners and American TV features dozens of channels entirely in Spanish

That's probabilly what they get out of a cour, and they may be able to do two or even four cours a year.

But then VAs, holly shit aren't those the biggest faggots of them all? Winning so much money to just talk? Fuck.

Because japs can't tell the difference and it's less expensive than hiring english VA's in Japan.

>Housing in Japan is cheap
Fuck no it isn't. A 6 tatami or 100 sq ft apartment outside Tokyo, not in, will run you around $800 a month, after the around $2,000 move in fee.

And who will be there to note the quality of resultant English? No one.

STEM is oversaturated and the people who those STEM graduates end up working for took degrees in different fields. STEM is great for creating a lot of corporate fodder for technical dead end jobs, which is why governments are trying to make it more appealing.

But keep up that defensive strawman, I'm sure you'll make a great cubicle drone some day.

That's still lower than the cheapest shitty housing you can find in Australia, and no, the average income is not as high as the memeshitters may suggest. Having 40% of your income just go on rent is considered good.

Americans have no idea how cheap their living costs are.

Do the cities charge around 1,200 a month for 31 sq meters? That's what an in Tokyo apartment will run you.

>That's probabilly what they get out of a cour, and they may be able to do two or even four cours a year.
It literally says annual income right there. And animators aren't paid by cour, how would that even work? They're paid per cut done.
>But then VAs, holly shit aren't those the biggest faggots of them all? Winning so much money to just talk? Fuck.
lrn2read. That's A-List voice actors like Yukari Tamura or Nana Mizuki. The average VA makes shit all in comparison.

>31 sq meters
I meant 13. I can't type right.

Sometimes they do

It's been a year and a half or so and I still don't fucking understand why or how being a college student makes you money.

asa-nee speaks good english

They actually did for Under the dog.

Because pera pera pera pera, pera pera pera pera.

Because the English accent is disgusting and I would prefer some Jap with broken English to do it.

>tfw ukrainian
>and near-perfect pronunciation of japanese names
>really natural accent (when switching to english I don't have the stereotypical heavy pronunciation)

Why don't they hire slavic people to do the english dubs? That way they might become somewhat acceptable.

Hell, I'm not sold on those either, but if you can make something better, why won't you do it?

This whole chart has always seemed pretty sketchy in general, honestly, considering how many people in the industry fill different roles on different productions (or even on a single production). Not to mention how widely the volume of work per year can vary from person to person. I mean, I get that boiling industry pay standards down to single values is simplification under any circumstances, but breaking it down by annual pay and single roles seems like an especially bad way to represent it in this case.

>I am guilty of no wrongdoing or misconduct in this incident
>but if it may be said that the mere perfection of my existence begat it, then I do offer some apology

I've never seen so much shade thrown in a essay format before.

Too bad it was dog shit

Japanese understand Engrish better than English (especially American English). Also it's funnier.

To be fair, it's incredibly easy to fake a Spanish accent. Just roll the fuck out of those Rs

Financial aid, part time jobs, money from parents etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=sujF161hziE

Worst part of the show.

That's actually fair weirder than not having foreigners to speak foreign languages. Shouldn't there be some free-to-use animal sounds on Internet or just record your fucking cat or something.

>I'm not 100% convinced on the woman,

Probably because the characters age doesn't really match her voice.

But they do, user.
youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU

FRYYY ME TO THE MOON!

a.pomf.cat/zqxyuv.webm

Because if they did we would not be getting glorious scenes like this right here.

youtube.com/watch?v=rN0dswy9O6M

This is the best engrish ever seen in anime, and always will be. There's no way any of you can tell me otherwise:

youtube.com/watch?v=VqbtbTSeai0

Because the audio has to be clear and understandable to JP audiences, not foreign audiences.

youtube.com/watch?v=xlGYJtude3U

Shit, that link lacked the best part.

youtube.com/watch?v=gg4IP0WRK8I

This was fantastic.
BRRRGRR
For some reason it just sounds so weird when there are actual English speaking accents in there. Maybe it's because I have never been to Japan, but it suddenly makes me realize I'm watching a cartoon with voice acting again.

Love it. The whole scene was in the related videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=GL-zaHA7SmQ