SAGUGA THREAD

SAGUGA THREAD.
post your favorite saguga?

What is saguga?
Saguga is when animation is good and it has many frames like Mitosu Ioso.

When you see yutapon cubes, it is sakuba

Post sakuba webm here in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ACFz10tHzAw
pelleas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=238
vimeo.com/165623922
youtube.com/watch?v=daMx1fFV2Rc
twitter.com/Horidesk/status/780795232900100096
youtu.be/maVmPG71SHc
sakuga.yshi.org/data/d17ef395ce1bae71c83516b102d00076.mp4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Noroyo Matatsumototo is best

ma boi Norifumi Kugai

Sasuka is my favoride Sasugu.

MEMES

SASUGA

Shit like that was even in YYH, Pierrot never learns.

SHUT UP THIS IS MADE BY THE GREAT SHINGO YAMASHITA

THEY DID IT ON PURPOSE!!!

HE IS A GREAT ANIMATOR!

WAN PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Animation != artwork

Baji HD is my favorite animateur.

Amazing! it's like you can see his great pain.

>yutapon cubes
What's that?

FUCK YOU CANCER

SABUGA SAKUBA SAGUGA FUCK YOUTAPON CUBES

Did you guys see that new upload on sagoobaboogu? Like, wow!!

>bahi jd = dj ihab
MIND BLOWN.
youtube.com/watch?v=ACFz10tHzAw

sagasu is my favorite anime

Oh I love that one too, did you hear it was animated on the frames?

Cubes made by yutapon.

Yutapon means cube.

did you guys see or lord yuyucow crying on tiwitter?

hey man kelvin's a nice and smart guy, don't forget to give money to the scoobydooru BTW

link?

Holy shit, it's real.

He's really having a breakdown over so-called manime fans hating on Euphonium.

Who was in the wrong here?

no one

Shinkai.

Is Peter Chung the initiator of Sakuga Community? Poor man didn't want it to become like this.

Sakuga is truly a mistake.

It's kinda gay. That's why everyone who likes it is also kinda gay.

why do people like bahi jd? he's shit

Because he's a qt.

He's a westerner animating stuff in nipponland.
And he probably posts on Cred Forums too.
Probably.

Well he makes good music

He's 5 years older than me yet he has hit it big. He's my inspiration.

he's right though

That's not even him.

I have become Pain, the destroyer of sakuga

The beginning of it all.

Yes it is.

Is this the same Peter Chung as the Peter Chung from Aeon Flux?

Yeah that's him

Anipages forum:

Michael Arias (Tekkon Kinkreet)
Bahi JD (Space Dandy)
Peter Chung (Aeon Flux, 30 years of experience in Korean, Japanese and US industry)
Some more I guess like John K.

Catsuka:

Thomas Romain (Macross Delta)
Other frogs

That's great there's so much people seemingly accessible to westerners that made it.

Butts are the only SaKagu that matters.

>leddit

Makes sense what that dude writes.

John K. hates anime though.

That's okay, as long as he can provide valuable technical insight.

I loved reading some posts of this thread (and others), good reflection here. I'm kind of a Disney hater because they think too highly of their approach of animation but some things he said about "breathing life" made me reflect about that. Other than that, I don't think that animating on 1s or the constant exaggeration of movements (Disney-like) creates a better illusion of life than some anime (Dennou Coil for example).

pelleas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=238

>le newfag who only ever knew Cred Forums

No wonder you're a retard.

I have a good amount of respect for Chung. I watched Aeon Flux a while back and I remember listening to his commentary on each of the first two seasons episodes, and man they were actually very well thought out.
what the hell is he even doing now though

Yes, they did, and he is. The Pain fight had excellent animation, it just happened to make some very stupid stylistic choices shitposter-kun.

There was nothing wrong with the stylistic choices.

>getting this booty bothered over one random motherfucker posting a negative comment
holy shit

I disrespectfully disagree. The loony toons shit was fucking retarded you silly cunt.

>le
You are better than this.

Who are you quoting?

Me.

Shut the fuck up

What kind of pleb cares about characters staying on model in high octane action sequences?

The gif thread has some cool young people.
The guys who did Battleborn's cinematic.
Cookiefication recently worked on the new LoL animation.
ChuuStar is very talented.
I think she's going to intern in Japan.
vimeo.com/165623922

>There was nothing wrong with the stylistic choices.

One thing is trying to stay on model and other is changing it completely so iti looks like shooting sperm.

>The guys who did Battleborn's cinematic.
but battleborn was shit

Is that The Sky Crawlers?

You probably make more than him though

I never got this argument. it's not "stylistic choices". it's just badly animated. just because it has tons of frames doesn't mean it's well animated. good animation, even stylized, has structure to it, it doesn't have physical features floating around with no logic to it like in the pain fight. don't let "muh style!" distract you. shit should still be well drawn.
how dare you compare the anatomically-informed, planned exaggeration and clever visual humor of looney tunes with the shitty badly-drawn chaotic shitpile that is the pain fight.

The argument here is that Yamashita is amazingly skilled and there is certainly a reason other than "it's just bad" to explain what he did here. The most evident is style. And I personally don't think it's badly animated, and there is some kind of cartoonesque logic in it.

As for the Pain's face deformation, people that trash it generally don't know what they're talking about. I don't like this cut and I'm not saying it's good but seeing the skill of the guys that worked on that episode, it's most certainly a stylistic choice. I don't like it but let them have fun, it's how the animation become fun to watch I guess.

>shit should still be well drawn.

So you're discarding every of Ohira's cut?

just because he's amazingly skilled doesn't mean that everything he's done will be amazingly skilled. every artist has some missteps. don't let the fact that he's a big name and known for his skill fool you into thinking everything he does has quality. he's still human.

>just because he's amazingly skilled doesn't mean that everything he's done will be amazingly skilled. every artist has some missteps.

I know and I agree. Though I do think the fight is good, it's super fluid (literally, like waterized, it's not as Looney Tunes as Looney Tunes but it reinvents it nicely in a "webgen" loose manner) and pretty well choreographed... I agree that the fact it might be considered "fun" when it's an important dramatic fight (I haven't watched Naruto, just the fight) can let people displeased though.

>don't let the fact that he's a big name and known for his skill fool you into thinking everything he does has quality. he's still human.

I know, that's what I reproach to kVin and his peers, judging everything through the biased lens of the big names.

But it's reasonable to give the benefit of doubt to such names when you could think it's bad. I don't really like the new economic approach of Yutaka Nakamura for some cuts and that could be considered worse than what he did before (it's certainly different), if that wasn't him I might have thought he's a correct animator that I don't like much but since it's him seemingly experimenting new things, I have a different point of view (though I try not to be biased).

>So you're discarding every of Ohira's cut?
Please stop this shit.
Every time people talk about QUALITY, sakugafags always bring up Ohira.

Ohira's works never look sloppy.
His frames are amazingly drawn.

You can put them up in a fine art museum and they'd fit right in.

It's okay if you want to Yamashita's animation but don't imply that Ohira's animation aren't well-drawn.

they won't go on strike, because they know that as soon as they do, there are hundreds of chinks and koreans waiting to take their place for even lower pay

Is he right?

I lost myself a bit near the end.

What I meant with Yutaka Nakamura is that, being a fan of his and acknowledging his talent, I'd rather try to explain what he had in mind with his new approach and not simply shit on his work (after that, it's understandable that not everyone like a new thing). The conclusion I came to with Yutaka Nakamura is that I don't like his new cuts as much, the movements are less detailed, he does more impact frames and such effects (the slimy lava thing), the choreography seem less acrobatic than before (Darker Than Black in mind, compared to some of Concrete Revolution). I'm "trying" to get what he wants to do because I don't think he has bad intentions, rather he's innovating, that's good.

I can understand if you're very disappointed in the fight or something, if you obsess on why Yamashita did such a thing, that you would be quite agressive towards the sequence, and I can't force you not to (I do that too). But if you're not at this point, you should rather try to find a "positive" explanation to his approach on the cuts I guess.

What you're doing is a bit like classic Disney animator shitting on new Japanese animation because "it's not like what they're used to". Though a lot of people now acknowledge that the pose-to-pose style of Yoshinori Kanada has multiple purpose, and while being economic, is not simply "badly animated". It's the same approach here.

Yeah Ohira is certainly a good draftsman. I hadn't another name in mind (there are certainly some like Yuasa but he doesn't animate much I believe), his stuff still looks goofy at times, the proportions are all over the place because of the "wavy" thing it ends up looking like (I don't know what that comes from if he really draws on-model).

Yamashita's art is very loose like a lot of webgen, from what I remember. Maybe I'm wrong? It's like they draw fast and frenetically on their tablet and don't really "finish" it, like a lot of digital painting when you can clearly see the brushes used. You can't see that in KyoAni for example, nor in Disney, I really like that kind of stylistic transparency.

We can all agree on this.

Reply if you are man.

The people who Oshii used to work with are still there

this is an animation error
this is intentional because skin flaps at high speed

thank you retards for continuously posting this 1 frame like it means anything

Skin flaps but bones do not deform.

I love when stupid people call seinen anime "for girls."

Dude, seriously, didn't you notice that it was a fucking mock post with deliberate misspellings?

>SAGUGA THREAD.
>post your favorite saguga?
>What is saguga?
>Saguga is when animation is good and it has many frames like Mitosu Ioso.
>When you see yutapon cubes, it is sakuba
>Post sakuba webm here in this thread.

There are people in the thread unironically shitting on the Pain animation.

Dont delete my comment because it had criticism you bitch.

It should be shit on, it looks terrible. There's stylistic warp and then there's looking like your skin is having a seizure

It unironically is shit. The OP is mocking sakugafags like you who go "muh fluid frames" and praise characters warping into distorted blobs. Animation doesn't mean shit if the artstyle and shading suffer for it.

>and praise characters warping into distorted blobs.
>Animation doesn't mean shit if the artstyle and shading suffer for it.
This. OPM had shit animation.

>a single frame compared to an extended segment of faceflap

Go fuck yourself kvin.

is not an animation error. Have you even seen the scene it's taken from?

OPM had shit animation overall and just blinding lights galore shit. I don't know why sakugafags praise it. Maybe because they haven't seen Legend of Korra.

This is advanced bait

Well the drawing is a cheap inbetween and could have been better (I'm sure there are more) but yeah it doesn't really matter in this context, even when being aware of this frame I have a hard time seeing it during the actual animation, and even more being bothered by it.

the whole pain arc, including pain fight animation, was great and the only problem was the very end where naruto convinced him to rez everyone.

fite me in irl

oh and the immesurable power creep that followed it kind of cheapens the sense of speed the animation was trying to portray during the pain arc. it was the current pinnacle of powerlevels and it succeeded in showing that, but then they didn't bother at all for many fights that should be far more impressive on paper.

>the drawing is a cheap inbetween
What makes you say that? How do you know it's even an inbetween? What makes it worse than other similar distortions you'll find in similar sequences?

Post one fluid animation in OPM. Even episode 5's Saitama vs Genos doesn't look smooth at all. The Genos kick was like a still frame.

What part of me calling your post bait made you think I was taking you seriously you spergburglar?

I'm not sure, what I meant is that the effort wasn't put on this particular frame. While this isn't a good drawing, it's barely visible and the rest go from amazing to equal to this one.

It's often the case in Norio Matsumoto's animations (and with a lot of others guys, anime is a cheap medium that struggles with time, money and quality after all).

So I'm not sure it's an actual inbetween in the strict sense of the term but it's certainly a drawing of lesser importance, both in terms of screentime, of detail, and it still convey the movement (though it's so fast you just get a "feel" of it you don't actually see it, like what smear should originally be like, not on 3s or 2s).

So complaining about such frame is like complaining that anime isn't animated on 1s. While it would certainly better if it was (done well though, ain't always the case), it's not much worse because it can't be like that. I think.

Ryo Timo and Matsumoto

youtube.com/watch?v=daMx1fFV2Rc

that comment was pretty fucking retarded, but still won't even waste a fucking nickel or time on that.

Twitterdrama as usual.

Jeez, such obvious trolling and he fell for it?

To me, the biggest problem with Nakamura's work lately is how similar they look. It's like he has settled upon a 'template' for crafting action sequences.

Why do you faggots always circlejerk the same animators?

Post some new ones like pic related which was done by Akiko Kudo

Because it's not sakuga if it's not KyoAni.

Just keep in mind, that there are people out there that say this was good animation, simply because it was 'smooth.' Lol

twitter.com/Horidesk/status/780795232900100096

Hiroyuki Horiuchi will be working on tomorrow's Naruto episode.

One of Hiromi Matsushita's last cuts on HxH

The pattern I noticed is the thing when a ball-like shape moves in background animation, there's something else? Actually I don't watch much anime with YN lately.

How do you discover new animators?

Keep an eye out for Liang Boya folks. She's a relatively new animator who started out as an inbetweener on HxH before Yuzuru Tachikawa kidnapped her for Death Billiards Anime Mirai Project. Once she finished that, she got promoted to KA status for the remainder of HxH and has since split her time between Madhouse and Fujoshi Volleyball

Watch lots of animated shows.

Chinese animator?

There's the excessive impact frames that have already been mentioned, and Nakamura's cubes have been simplified even further by looking like clean cube shapes rather than having chips and cracks on them.

So what good will it do to keep an eye on a specific animator? "I knew him before other people"? Stop consuming animators like products please, just enjoy the anime normally.

Some of those animators then become art directors, and later might even become directors themselves.

It's like watching a pokémon evolve.

god he's so full of himself it's disgusting. he talks as if it's so easy to do. he should really keep his mouth shut, he talks big for such a mediocre animator.

I can understand and I'm amused by it but that's wrong is it not?

all of these actually have great animation except for amagi, you can tell they skimped on it

It's the same thing as keeping an eye on actors and directors. People like their work so it's useful to follow them in hopes of seeing more work that is satisfying to watch.

Bahi is one of the best young animators though.

youtu.be/maVmPG71SHc

>Following people you like is wrong

Shitpost harder user. It's just like any form of entertainment whether its movies/artists/musicians etc. People follow who they look like

It couldn't be given to Free because that would be gay.

>Liang Boya
niuya ahhh.

How pointless when the booru exists.

I personally think it takes more skill for someone to NOT be individualistic(sticking close to the character designs) but still have expressive animation.

Not discounting the popular animators people like to name like Yutapon though. They are talented no doubt but working within boundaries while still standing out has to be a bitch.

One example of this kind of animator is Hidehiko Sawada. He can go crazy when he wants to but his best stuff is his subtle character animation

By not being a fucking pleb.

>subtle character animation

these are underrated as fuck
I started out a sabuga lover of flashy action scenes but my amazement with animators who can pull off good character animation, subtle or otherwise, has been growing nonstop

Too bad most good animation in TV anime is allocated to action scenes.

I like that too. I also like nice animation with constance in detail, unfortunately it's not like cuts that are easily uploaded. I think of YKK first OVA series.

Honestly you're better off finding good subtle character animation from old western animation, they're the masters of character animation.

Wasn't LoK animated by nips

Everyone here just loves be edgy and hate on good animators because they think it makes them look cool

Parts of season 2 was handled by Pierrot. Otherwise most of the series was done by Studio Mir in Korea.

Depends what you think of but I really can't into Disney's character animation, whatever the era. The mannerisms, I don't know if that's a thing from that time, but that's so overdone, doesn't feel relatable and subtle to me.

I like limited goofy character animation from TV shows though, even if it's not really subtle most of the time.

naruto hype

It's going to be the most well-animated episode of the year.

there's still toshiyuki inoue and hiroyuki okiura around, and probably some other names I'm not familiar with

but as far as the current generation of animators in japan go, yeah I don't really see anyone seemingly going towards that level of realistic, subtle character animation and that's kinda sad. I guess that's what mamoru oshii's comment on is about. Yutaka nakamura for example doesn't seem to be able to excell at character animation nowhere as near as he does with action animation. Animators who can pull both equally well truly are gems and it took me a long time to see that

>okiura
>subtle

What is this anime

That's kind of true. Controlled specific animation is more difficult than free flowing styled animation.
Especially when it comes down to animating realistic motion.

Nakamura is actually pretty good non-action oriented scenes, he just rarely does them sakuga.yshi.org/data/d17ef395ce1bae71c83516b102d00076.mp4

>good subtle character animation
Hibike is airing this coming season.

To be fair to Nakamura, action has always been his specialty. Very rarely do you see him do non-action scenes. Some animators are focused like that. Someone with the breadth in repertoire would be Norio Matsumoto who excels in both action and character animation.

Anyway, the highly detailed style of realism of Okiura, Inoue, and Iso is past its popularity peak. It was a thing in the late 80s to early 90s but now it's all about the web gen. The first batch of the aforementioned group looked to Utsunomiya and Matsumoto for inspiration but not many of them managed to take in the masterful character animation of the idols.

Okiura is only noticeable because he is too good.

>The first batch of the aforementioned group looked to Utsunomiya and Matsumoto for inspiration but not many of them managed to take in the masterful character animation of the idols.

What series are you talking about?

No series in particular, just people. There's a typo.

>not many of them managed to take in the masterful character animation of their idols.

Who else HYPED AF for the final three episodes of Nardo this week? About to be some of the best fighting shounen ever. Shame no Wakabayashi but holy fahk Shingo Yamashita is directing both episodes which is

H O L Y F A H K
O
L
Y
F
A
H
K

>Shingo Yamashita
At least get your facts straight if you want to shitpost.

Oh yeah I thought they worked on something like The Idolm@ster or something.

nakamura was just an example, I don't think there's anything wrong about specializing in one kind of animation. it's just that when I first got into animation and had zero understanding of it I just assumed animators were/had to be good at handling everything - althought it didn't help that I was exposed to sakuga precisely by beasts like matsumoto, iso, and inoue.

>the highly detailed style of realism of Okiura, Inoue, and Iso is past its popularity peak.

that's very understandable, I might be wrong but animators working professionally seem to be getting younger and younger, and that kind of realistic animation does require a lot of skill that I believe comes mostly through time and experience rather than simple talent or observation.