Going crazy trying to find a fansubber for Moomin 1990's anime series

Moomin is a famous Finnish-Swedish chapter book series by Tove Jansson that became big in Japan, Russia, and many other countries. Please read this summary (philnel.com/2012/10/12/moomins/).

Moomin was immensely big in Japan (e.g., there's even a Moominvalley and cafe in Japan), and the 1990 series called "Tanoshii Moomin Ikka" (myanimelist.net/anime/2150/Tanoshii_Muumin_Ikka), which ran for 78 episodes, is universally considered the best anime adaptation, even by the original creator Tove Jansson.

Saikou no Cool (saikounocool.blogspot.com/) has fansubbed the first 24 episodes of Tanoshii Moomin Ikka, but he has mysteriously disappeared for a year. I was wondering if you could help me find either a group or individual to pick up where he started in order to finish fansubbing the last 54 episodes? The American dub is absolutely atrocious. You will help spread famous classic literature by helping me with this endeavor.

Here is the beautiful Japanese opening which the US dub ruined:

youtube.com/watch?v=e_hvZlL_XnQ

PLEASE HELP ME FIND A FANSUBBER

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=199455
commiesubs.com/interns/timing-basics.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=raTyGd0Ki1w
youtube.com/watch?v=GIkORXNDcnU
youtube.com/watch?v=mzZXi2VuTH8
youtube.com/watch?v=wjmkpUJljQI
youtube.com/watch?v=ePqO02a14mo
youtube.com/watch?v=3-MRXFG0PWY
youtube.com/watch?v=IQP2afzM6XQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck off, nigger. Cred Forums is not for reposting fansub advertisements every few days.

It has only been two days.

Damn, didn't know the fansub was incomplete.
Hope you find someone willing. I like Moomin.

You can give me a list of active fansub groups you know of.

You might find more success if you actually learned and did some of the work (Have the raws ready, start timing the subs, etc), rather than just running around like a headless chicken.

I already have the raws ready.
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=199455

I don't know if I can time the subs.

You can, you just have to learn how. I'm not going to give any guarantees, but it should be easier finding someone willing to just go in and translate stuff, than someone willing to take a big project and do everything on their own. Or a group that will do it out of kindness rather than epeen.

I guess I should just give up and stick to the books.

American & British weeaboos have horrible taste in anime. They don't like World Masterpiece Theatre or something as serene as Moomin. Fuck 'em.

I do user, I just don't have moon capabilities.
;_;

Timing is fairly simple. You don't even need a script handy, just time blank lines so that it's as easy as copy pasting lines from a translated script. commiesubs.com/interns/timing-basics.htm

The actual problem will be finding competent translators who will be motivated to work on all the episodes. Motivation is a pretty chancy thing on the internet since people can wash their hands of something with no hassle.

Don't give up little Moomin.

I put subtitles to the Akage no Anne BDs when the raws came out because nobody was doing it without any prior experience and now its on bakabt, admittedly the timing is fairly bad but it was good enough to be watchable for me. Having Moomin would be great, not many groups really work on this kind of stuff though, SilverZeroSubs does a bit. Just started watching their Swiss Family Robinson, apparently they are planning to work on Tom Sawyer in the future which would be good if they did.

You just can't really ever rely on anyone else to do this kind of work for you though. If you want to see it translated you can just sit and hope forever and hope someone else with the skills gets interested enough or procure the skills and do it yourself.

>The American dub is absolutely atrocious
just for that, I'm not helping you. This shit was my childhood.

youtube.com/watch?v=raTyGd0Ki1w

read the books, or the comic at the least

I did already have the script for Akage no Anne translated though because it was publicly available so that made it significantly easier to actually complete the project without having to find a translator.

Is the American dub for Moomins atrocious because of the voice acting or does it change the script a ton? If it is just the voice acting then if you get the raws and the American dub you should be able to a not-awful job of translating and subbing it entirely yourself using the American dub and timing the lines to match.

>just for that, I'm not helping you.
Fuck off then.

It's fine. I'll just read the books. I was already scammed by some Taiwanese who was fansubbing Tico of the Seven Seas. I gave him a friend's commission, and he promised to give the rest after I pay the rest. However, after a few months, I asked for half of the episodes in advance and he hasn't responded.

I'll just give up and read the original nine books.

It's actually not for that at all.

Learn to speak English.

What about the American dub is the script changed significantly or is it just the voices? You should be able to tell by comparing the episodes that are already subbed to the American dub. If the script isn't changed too much you could do the rest yourself with no prior experience you'd just have to actually be willing and care enough to do the work. If the American dub script is fine then essentially the only thing stopping you is being bothered to do it.

I compared and there were significant differences.

It's as bad as the Tico of the Seven Seas and Doraemon (2005) English dubs.

Best girl

In that case unless you learn Japanese I would probably go on assuming it will never be subbed if I were you and if it eventually is then it will be lucky. I suppose raising awareness by making threads in places that various people interested in it couldn't hurt.

Maybe some of the people who worked on Rocky Chuck/Fables of the green forest might be interested in working on it? There's a blog for that at fablesofthegreenforest.wordpress.com you could try or maybe the bakabt forums. There is a bit for translation efforts and organising on there.

>Is the American dub for Moomins atrocious because of the voice acting or does it change the script a ton?
Not OP, but I remember noticing that the English dub did lots of odd minor dialogue changes like having Moominpapa say "9 and a half..." during a countdown to 10 and Moomin calling the Groke a "big bully".

On the other hand, though, the Japanese script is actually much more simplified than the Swedish and Finnish dubs at times. The nihilist and Nietzsche-esque philosophy that gets waxed during the Comet in Moominland movie was removed from the Japanese script to make the movie simpler for Japanese children to understand, for example.

I've gone ahead and emailed fablesofthegreenforest.wordpress.com and made a post on the bakabt topic you were referring to.

I noticed I made a big typo in my OP just now: "to pick up where he started" should be "to pick up where he ended".

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations. Let's hope it works.

It looks like these were involved with the subtitling stuff on Fables of the Green Forrest southwindsubs.wordpress.com but they are planning the start Sasurai no Shoujo Nell which is based on a Dickens novel at some point in the near future, which is cool because I kind of wanted to watch that too, so it is somewhat doubtful they will be interested in another large project simultaneously I would guess. It is odd that other group that was doing it just disappeared though they had quite a few releases, probably just life stuff taking priorities like usual. I might watch those 24 episodes though at some point, was unaware they existed until this thread.

I have gone ahead and emailed him too. It's interesting to see how Silver Zero Subs are partners with Southwind Subs and the guys doing Fables of the Green Forest. I didn't know that.

I guess they're the main guys that cover for old-school anime that is reminiscent of World Masterpiece Theater, on a consistent basis, am I right?

Yeah from what I have seen those are the main people really working on this stuff. There is Licca Fansubs who did Perrine, Annette, Sara and others too but they don't seem to release much recently either and already have multiple projects on the go.

I'd rather have a fansub for Lucy May of The Southern Rainbow.

>needing subs for moomin
or rather
>anyone on Cred Forums who's watched the minimum requisite 200 cour could sub this show no prob

Floren is my waifu.
Snufkin is my hero.

I can actually do Lucy May of the Southern Rainbow from the Persian dub if you want me to. I actually need something to focus my mind on.

If you're interested, I can do this for Araiguma Rascal also. That has a Persian dub too.

In exchange, I want you to help find someone and commission a fansub of Moomin (1990s series).

I can learn everything about fansubbing except the actual translating part.

Just learn finnish and enjoy the superior pro dubbing of the series.

I like the Finnish dub a lot. If you sub that, I'd be fine with it.

>British
What? Moomins is huge in Britain. Best way to get compliments from strangers is to wear a Moominpapa tshirt.

Then why is there no English sub for the 1990 anime series?

>not Swedish

I am fine with either the Swedish or Finnish dubs being fansubbed into English.

The English dub is HORRID. It is pure shit. Anything is better than it, really.

When in the fuck do kids shows get shown on TV subtitled?

The English dub is atrocious and inaccurate. I can't stand it. At least the Swedish and Finnish dubs are accurate and true to the spirit of the source material.

I probably would if I could find Swedish raws that's not rubbish. Also, both the Finnish and Swedish dubs are missing a few episodes because they were banned from broadcast and I don't think the second season was ever dubbed in Swedish. I haven't really researched more than that.

That wasn't the point. I was pointing out that a kids show being well known and popular in an English speaking area would not mean there would be a subtitle of it for that area necessarily.

>I don't think the second season was ever dubbed in Swedish.
I heard the 2nd season was bad and not true to the source material, so I'm not interested in seeing it. It just created new stories and didn't respect Tove Jansson's original works at all. I'm just interested in the first 78 episodes of the first season.

>Also, both the Finnish and Swedish dubs are missing a few episodes because they were banned from broadcast
Yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. I would prefer subs of the Japanese version then. I don't know why Sweden or Finland would ban any episodes.

I know the design of the Lady of the Cold was drastically changed from Tove Jansson's original art design (don't know why the Japanese would do that), but that still doesn't mean it should be banned. I think that particular episode was banned for some reason, but it was true to the spirit of the original, as I've heard, besides changing Lady of the Cold's design.

Can't help you OP. But I want to thank you for showing the original opening. My soul has been cleansed.

The original OP is very idyllic and soul cleansing, yes.

I'd rather sub this fandub desu

youtube.com/watch?v=GIkORXNDcnU

I got a few hours during the day where I'm not doing anything OP, how do I get in touch with you?

My email is [email protected]

The Lady of the Cold didn't get banned, but an episode about pirates kidnapping Snork Maiden and one about a devil sealed in a tree tricking Moomin and the others into freeing it were.

The irony of it is that the very first episode is far more horrifying than either of those episodes.

youtube.com/watch?v=mzZXi2VuTH8
youtube.com/watch?v=wjmkpUJljQI
youtube.com/watch?v=ePqO02a14mo
youtube.com/watch?v=3-MRXFG0PWY
youtube.com/watch?v=IQP2afzM6XQ

I was sad about this too, I wanted to watch it about a year ago and then realised it didn't have subs.

Link to original opening? My soul needs cleansing too.

Kill yourself