I've never into sports anime except I just saw ping pong and that was amazing

I've never into sports anime except I just saw ping pong and that was amazing.

So I'm about to watch Haikyuu.

Now, let's talk about why one would watch a specific sports anime.
>you like/have participated/know a lot about said sport
This gotta be the biggest one right? You'd probably watch a good anime about a favourite sport rather than AOTY about a sport you don't care for.
>quality
>team or individual sport
>realism

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QBqBCMpn4ZE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Watch Slam Dunk instead

I never played basketball though.
I did play volleyball that's why I'm interested in Haikyuu.

Actually, I'm kind of the opposite.
There's a lot of anime/manga that covers competitive activities I'm not familiar with, and I find those more interesting. I like the idea that there are these little niches carved out for all these sports/arts, and I get a chance to peer into them.
Stuff like Chihayafuru, Kono Oto Tomare, Bamboo Blade, all the mahjong stuff (well, I knew kendo and mahjong were big, but not much about the actual process).

>i played volleyball
fucking gay

>animes

Girls and Panzer is pretty neat. Never done senshado tho

Watch Giant Killing. One of the most realistic portrayals of football out there.

Yeah, it's realistic, but at least personally, I found it really dry.
Not that it needed to have had kuroke superpower bullshit or anything, just move a little quicker and give us more to chew on.

I'd actually wager this is most of the time not even the case.
Only a nascent interest in the sport is enough, or none if you know that it just might be really good.
American football was something completely alien and esoteric and it always felt pretty dumb to me, yet I read Eyeshield 21 and it was great.

I'll concede the fact that their internal monologues during matches drag on too long.

There is a rugby one coming out this fall. That's the only real sport I've played so I'll check it out.

Still haven't watched Haikyuu as I'm not into volleyball.

I haven't watched one since Slam Dunk, they're all fujobait now.

If you really like sports, avoid retarded silly shit like Prince of Tennis or Kuroko and watch realistic stuff like Giant Killing or Baby Steps.

What the fuck? Giant Killing bored me to death. Kuroko was at least fun as fuck.

Hype and strategy.

But do not avoid awesome silly shit.
There's a distinction of stupid over the top and hype over the top.

Haikyuu is also realistic though.

That's called shit taste. I hope you're gay/a woman because that would give you an excuse to like Kuroko.
"Awesome" silly shit stops being awesome when you're no longer a 12 years old (I grew up with Captain Tsubasa, but even then I knew it was pants on head retarded).
There's way more hype to see an underdog tying a game at the last second with a desperate shot, than with some idiotic dinosaur killing special move.

Tbh part of the appeal is when the author's research or knowledge provides cool tidbits and history of that particular sport.

Initial D had me taking breaks reading further into engine layouts, series A, Wankel engines, how turbo chargers work, why rally cars are always misfiring like shit boxes and a lot of neat automotive and motorsports crap.

Guys are into sports shows either because of they are into said sports, or they are into hotblooded themes such as overcoming hurdles and becoming the very best despite of your shortcomings.

Girls are into sports shows because bishonen.

I really enjoy seeing the MC and his pals work hard to achieve a goal, and the comradery that comes with it. I also enjoy all the different intricacies of the sport, as well as how the MC uses different things to overcome his opponent.

Yeah, this is really great too.

>that's called shit taste
I also got bored of Haikyuu. Fight me, retard.

Also real life soccer is boring to watch too.

Baby Steps S3 when?

>Also real life soccer is boring to watch too.
Why would you watch sports anime if you don't like sports?
Are you a woman?

They are different kind of things to enjoy. You might be different, but I find enjoyment from works of varying stages of realism and seriousness.

Not a woman. And you got it the other way round. I watch sports anime BECAUSE it's different to the real life snorefest that is most sports.

>There's way more hype to see an underdog tying a game at the last second with a desperate shot, than with some idiotic dinosaur killing special move.

These two don't cancel each other out though. Pic related

I know women who unironically enjoy watching sports (and no, they aren't fugly hambeasts) mang.

Just saw Haikyuu ep 1
Goddamn MC cries and loses his first game, Imma watch ep 2 since this was pretty good

>>you like/have participated/know a lot about said sport

Not necessarily, but if you really couldn't care less about a sport then it can be difficult to enjoy a show.
For example I ended up skipping quite a bit (of the matches) of Baby Steps since I find Tennis to be super boring and I couldn't even push myself to continue watching Haikyuu and Yowamushi Pedal.

I on the other hand enjoyed One Outs, Cross Game and Ace of Diamond despite knowing almost nothing about baseball, but that's probably partially because I find baseball to be way more interesting.

I found the show to be pretty boring and I used to play football. The pacing and how the matches are played out isn't very smooth.

Unrealistic portrayals can be fun or even make something enjoyable.
Yakitate Japan isn't a sports show but can you imagine being able to watch a realistic portrayal about a show where they just bake bread?

This too are sports.

Cooking shows are basically sports shows. Same reason Yu-Gi-Oh! and Beyblades count as sports shows.

Modern sport anime are trash. The good sport anime like Attack No. 1 and Ace wo Nerae were all made in the 70's.

Where'd you put Ashita no Joe fampai?

>Not that it needed to have had kuroke superpower
but that is like half the fun of sports anime

>retards saying KnB is superpower bullshit
>when it's just realistic moves being exaggerated and made flashy for the sake of it being anime

Eyeshield 21 is the eternal GOAT

>Tbh part of the appeal is when the author's research or knowledge provides cool tidbits and history of that particular sport.
That's why I really like reading Yowamushi Pedal and Swan, they're also a bit educational.

You may not have noticed yet, but clearly you just slid into our dimension because here the shit they do is superpowers.

>Male only boxing anime
Not interested in trying out.

>a player that's really good at passing
>a player that's really good at shooting
>a player that's really technical and good point guard
>a player that's great at defense
>a really good all around player
>a streetball type player
>but hey it's an anime so let's make it a little bit interesting and exaggerate it so it looks cooler

No, it's not superpowers.

>watching sports anime solely for waifus

>>retards saying KnB is superpower bullshit
>>when it's just realistic moves being exaggerated and made flashy for the sake of it being anime

How is the eagle eye shit not a superpower? How is misdirection not a superpower with limited usage? Etc. The shit even has fucking names because they're treated as abilities.

See A superpower would be some inazuma 11 shit. It's explained in the anime and implied it's not superpowers. Kuroko for example isn't literally invisible or doesn't disappear, he's just good at losing his opponents.

>A superpower would be some inazuma 11 shit. It's explained in the anime and implied it's not superpowers. Kuroko for example isn't literally invisible or doesn't disappear, he's just good at losing his opponents.

I can already tell you're the kind of person that doesn't like to be told that he's wrong and will stay in stubborn denial until the very end.
In other words, not the kind of person worth wasting 1h on.
But nah you're right, stuff like eagle eye isn't a power. What you're thinking of is stuff from like Baby Steps, but you'll never admit it. GJ shitting up the thread.

>Ping Pong

Pretentious trash.

It's not a power you inbred. They don't sell their souls to satan for powers, they don't pray to buddha, or find an ancient Japanese spirit in a museum, or eat the semen of a blond american man to get super strength. They do absolutely normal basketball things, that are just exaggerated for the sake of the anime to make it more interesting.

Watch Eyeshield 21

My nigga

Even if the last arc left something to be desired, it was such a great experience overall. Is there any other sports anime that compares?

Stop being autists about the power thing. Stop it.

What sport would you like to see in anime?
Fencing maybe?
Tae-kwon do?
>snow boarding?

>watch

Anime was shit. Does not do the Murata artwork justice

Not being autistic, it's just facts that they don't have superpowers.

I'd like to see karate.

IPSC

There are good sports shows that have really unrealistic portrayals of the sport. Simply having it doesn't make it a bad show, it's all about the execution. Days seems like it attempts to stay relatively grounded compared to something like KnB but it is fucking dreadful as a show and KnB nails it's story beats, characters and actions 10 times better

skateboarding lolis

Yeah, the problem is that various series are to realistic, that isn't bad but don't have emotion and hyped scenes, so is boring to watch and you feel that is better to watch a real match, or to unrealistic, like this youtube.com/watch?v=QBqBCMpn4ZE , and you ask yourself "what the fuck happened?", the best sport series for me are that combine realistic sport with professional techniques, and some almost impossible movements, (not like the PoT video or Kagami second zone in Kuroko)

Anyone here watched Hikaru no Go? I dropped it early because of the god player who has possessed the rookie MC and I thought it's a sort of cheating that destroyed any tension or build up that show could have had. Will he learn to play by himself? did he lost sometimes?

I'm actually following two girls on social media that are quite good at handling the board. The youngest one (6) is way better than anyone I've ever seen below their teens and she's at least half japanese too.
So this might not be too implausible.

>still grownups skate better than kids so gimme an anime about that

Hockey, maybe other winter sports too like biathlon. Too bad Japan doesn't get much winter.

>youtube.com/watch?v=QBqBCMpn4ZE
That sort of hyping is the dumbest.
Embellishment is fine, not everything needs to be subtle, but come the fuck on.

>asteroid tennis
tbqhfam that looks so retarded I might even pick it up

Some of the rare respectable supokon that didn't pander to the b-otaku recently:

Nasu
Ping Pong
Chihafuryu
Baby Steps
Hajime no Ippo
Diamond no Ace

Only sport I know even a little bit about is baseball. I think it's the ability for the show to have likable characters is more important than the sport

Also nobody watches sports shows for realism unless it something like REAL and it presents itself that way. Only "degrees" of realism. Like Inazuma Eleven, Kuroko and Haikyuu are all not very realistic but they are varying levels of it

The only reason I'd watch a sports anime is for cute boys and bromance. If I want realistic sports I'll just watch it on tv or buy tickets to a game.

I like watching some actual sports

but I can never get into sports anime. Or even the majority of TV shows and western films about them.

The last one I recall trying is Ginga e Kickoff. You know, the one where the girl says "Ronaldo-sama". I never got far enough to see Ronaldo's actual appearance in that.

I hate volleyball but love Haikyuu, which is funny because my favorite sport is swimming but I hate Free.

Archery? Also I didn't know speedcubing was a thing (or rather it was called speedcubing) so maybe that.