Memes aside, did it make sense?

Memes aside, did it make sense?

>White approaching black

what did they mean by this?

Yes, Chess was used as a device to read what type of person someone is. Schniezel wanted to know if Lelouch would take a victory handed to him and he found out Lelouch has too much pride for that. It was a fatal test that Lelouch failed.

>did it make sense?
Breaking the rules?

The chess games were written by people who had no idea how chess works. Moving your king is doubly bad. It wastes moves and it puts the king into jeopardy.
Moving your king into a position where it could immediately be taken is even worse.

Memes are the only way to explain this scene.

>Memes aside
Hello, reddit.

I've never watched this show, but thats an illegal move right there. Placing your own king into check. The kings can never be within one square of each other.

It was about breaking the rules to win
Shame it was stupid

How is the correct Cred Forums approved quality stamp term?

Maybe you should go watch it. Code Geass is pretty good.

I've thought about it, certainly. But unfortunately, I've been spoiled to the point where I think it would ruin my enjoyment.

Studies have shown that spoilers increase enjoyment.

>Chess was used as a device to read what type of person someone is
I can see it as measurement of someone's tactical ability, ability to think ahead, etc.

But that part about checking someone out over intentionally losing for breaking the rules is just ...dumb. Even reacting right like telling that's an illegal move doesn't correlate how someone works on the actual battlefield. Chess is just a boardgame. It has no real correlation how real combat works. It doesn't take into consideration actual unit strengths, etc. Real life has no rules or limitations like chess. It's overblown.

Radovid pls

>I can see it as measurement of someone's tactical ability, ability to think ahead,
Which is nonsense because chess is an isolated ability just like other board games are. Good military strategists are not automatically good at chess, and chess masters don't make good generals.
If somebody plays chess well, you know they probably invested a lot of time practicing chess.

The ending to Cowboy Bebop was spoiled for years before I got around to it and I still loved it.

kingslayer dies in the books

Didn't you read the T/L note?! Jeez.

No Jamie

t/l tl;dr

Race war now!

>but thats an illegal move right there
that chess game wasn't about playing chess correctly, it was about reading the opponents personality
calling him out "Hey, that move is illegal" would be pointless. Schneizel, the person who made that move, would just say "So what? I won't take it back" and then it would be back to "Will Zero(the oppenent) take the default win by claiming resignation due to illegal move or will he continue playing" and we would be back at the original problem.

>Moving your king is doubly bad. It wastes moves and it puts the king into jeopardy.
>Moving your king into a position where it could immediately be taken is even worse.
Fucking this. "If the King won't move, his men won't follow" doesn't even make much sense in real battle situations, and it's objectively a terrible strategy to start things off by moving your King early for Chess. You gain no startegic advantage out of it and you've put your king in danger.

But why does he say "Checkmate?"

>Will Zero(the oppenent) take the default win by claiming resignation due to illegal move or will he continue playing" and we would be back at the original problem.
I still don't get why it's even a problem in the first place, it's a fucking game of chess.

does the tripfag even come to threads like these?

Dropped

Here's how it should have gone:
>So tell me Zero, will y-
>What the fuck are you doing? You can't put your own King in check, that's illegal.
>That's not w-
>Put your king back where it was and do something else, I've following the rules of this game, and so should you. If I took your king now, it would mean accepting your cheating which would make me a cheater like you, which I will not allow.

Because he's broke the rules and won via this rule breaking

>"If the King won't move, his men won't follow" doesn't even make much sense in real battle situations
Napoleon proves you wrong. Of course at the real Battle of Arcole he wasn't at the front of the entire army, but 55 paces away from the front. And then there's Toulon, where he actually got stabbed in the thigh. And the large number of battle (70+ I think?) where he was personally present, leading Wellington to say of him "his presence made the difference of 10,000 men". Men tend to love leaders who share their burdens. It makes sense from a narrative perspective, just not within the rules of chess.

But CG was never about chess, the chess games merely exist as a narrative device. Admittedly a badly implemented and heavy-handed one.

you forgot how it continues
>I won't take it back though
>That means i have won this game by default
>So what you say you will take this victory that i handed to you
>I, well, no

and we're back where the anime left off

I just realized something that might explain it: in Shogi (Japanese Chess) there is no checkmate. The king (though I think he's called the Diamond General in Shogi) can be attacked and captured like any other piece, and then the game is over. No ands, ifs or buts. If Lelouch and Schneizel were playing Shogi, this would actually be an entirely valid, though suicidal, move.

>No, it means I would win this game because you're a fucking cheater. If you refuse to follow the rules of Chess, how can you be expected to honor any promises or treaties you make with other nations? Do you really want to be humiliated in front of all these people? Exposed as not only a cheater, but a cheater who cheats to lose? And you expect to be the next Emperor? What a joke.

>it's a fucking game of chess
At this point it's not a game of chess anymore, it's a debate.

They were arguing over semantics during the game, Lulu wanted to prove a point.

It's amusing that freakin Yu-Gi-Oh! does metaphors involving play-styles reflecting one's personality much better.

anime is made by cute girls who don't do geeky guy things like play chess so it's ok

That's because YGO is all about the game and this show barely gives chess any screentime, it's only like every 12 episodes or more.

This was only Schneizel playing around and messing with Lelouch. That's the only reason he used an illegal move.