Any love for Rurouni Kenshin? Finally managed to finish it up...

Any love for Rurouni Kenshin? Finally managed to finish it up, it drops a little after the Shishio arc but I thought it was a solid watch all the way through. Are there any other 90's shows like this? Also a good example of the second OP being much better than the first youtube.com/watch?v=6e8m8iBNUwU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8oJZkgkIiFM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like Sobakasu and 1/2
Never watched the show though or even have any clue what it's about.

Only the manga.

Literal garbage. Naruto with swords.

I literally just opened up Trust and Betrayal about half an hour ago. It's been okay so far, I don't know if I'll watch the series though. 95 episodes isn't my thing.

>Are there any other 90's shows like this?
Yes, but you should look for them yourself instead of begging other people to spoonfeed you.

Where's that one dude who still thinks that Enishi is god and Kenshin is shit and deserves to lose everyone around him

I've watched the anime and read the manga.
I think they're both good. Except for the post-Kyoto anime. What the fuck man

>Magical feng-shui

Post Kyoto was pretty bad, the whole Amakusa Shogo thing was retarded.
>By the way there's a guy using the same martial art as you and he's even better despite it being super secretive passed down master to pupil

It's one of the better WSJ series.
I'd recommend Ninku. Probably my favorite WSJ series. It's both insanely comfy and tragic as fuck.
Ran in Weekly Shonen Jump in the 90's alongside Kenshin and you can easily see that a lot of future Weekly Shonen Jump series were heavily inspired by these two.
youtube.com/watch?v=8oJZkgkIiFM

>anime-original filler was so bad the series got cancelled

>anime original content
Has this ever been worthwhile? It's almost always shit

>Early 90's WSJ is best WSJ

>> Inoue with long hair and a friendly face.
>> Araki looks almost the same.
>> Toriyama looks like some child molester.

I'm definitively checking this. Thank you, user.

>tfw Ninku will never be fully scanned or subbed
>tfw the seinen sequel series will never be scanned or animated

I only ever watched a few episodes, but I liked what I saw. The whole being a child soldier whose mind is married by the tortures of war and is super OP but at heart is still just a little boy who misses his mommy was tonally bizarre but super neato.

If you guys didn't watch Rurouni Kenshin when it aired in 2003 on Toonami then off yourself. I'm a fan of various (fight) shonen shows and I must say, Rurouni Kenshin did not age well. It still has great moments but I realize now that it was a kid's show. If you liked Rurouni Kenshin then you might like Getbackers. It has the same director and is also a light hearted shonen fight series. Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball, and even Naruto aged much better than Rurouni Kenshin.

You can't just watch Trust & Betrayal before watching the TV series. The entire appeal of Trust & Betrayal is that it is the prequel to Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshin is a childish and light hearted character who refuses to kill people in the TV series. Trust & Betrayal lets you see what that character was like when he was a manslayer. Again, the entire appeal of Trust & Betrayal is seeing the contrast in his personality. It's hard to give an analogy of this but I'll try. Have you seen Trigun, Naruto, DBZ, One Piece or Bleach? Now imagine them creating a prequel to one of the main characters of the aforementioned shows where they're going around killing people while giving zero fucks. Also, imagine it being done with god tier animation and music, and with a grimdark as fuck plot. That is the appeal of Trust & Betrayal.

Watching Trust & Betrayal before watching Rurouni Kenshin is the equivalent of watching the Star Wars prequels before watching episdes 4-6. Anikan would probably just seem like an annoying kid if you didn't know that he grows up to become Darth Vader.

shishio was right about everything, and did nothing wrong

>You can't just watch Trust & Betrayal before watching the TV series. The entire appeal of Trust & Betrayal is that it is the prequel to Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshin is a childish and light hearted character who refuses to kill people in the TV series.

I understand that, and my understanding is the TV show isn't very good and Trust and Betrayal is the only thing about about the series. I watched the first few episodes of the series and it didn't appeal to me.

The TV starts off slow and like says, it didnt age well.
The TV series basically centres around the shishio arc, everything is just build up or exposition to that arc.

>Fuck other people n shiet, I'm da bes

The only good thing about that arc was Sano losing his bitch.

>If you guys didn't watch Rurouni Kenshin when it aired in 2003 on Toonami then off yourself. I'm a fan of various (fight) shonen shows and I must say, Rurouni Kenshin did not age well. It still has great moments but I realize now that it was a kid's show.

This is my impression of it. It's in the same category as Naruto, One Piece, Inuyasha, and such.

Whoa that was a better time.

>slide show combat
>final arc never ever, here's filler instead

The manga was good at least.

did you ever heard of Cred Forums's Dad rock? ok Rurouni Kenshi it's the quintessence of Dad anime

Why did it turn into X-Men?

It had a great and likable Edgelord

I read it for him.

I recently rewatched the first two seasons (dubbed because I can't stand Kenshin's Japanese VA). Still need to get around to rewatching Trust & Betrayal. Won't be watching the filler season that killed the show but I might read the manga sometime.

First season of the show was nostialgic but, as has been pointed out before, it has aged poorly due to being a typical low-production-value 90s anime. I skipped most of the filler in it, save for the pirate saga. The second season ramped up the production values and became more story-centric, and it was fucking fantastic. I do wish it hadn't blown its load right in the beginning though - I like the later fights just fine but nothing ever topped Kenshin vs. Shishio.

Also pic related is my daughteru, you may not touch her. Aoshi go and stay go.

>can't stand degozaru
Oro.

I really liked the Shishio arc, except for the Juppongata that attacked the Oniwaban inn. They were labelled as murderers who should have been able to pose a threat to even Kenshin, but that flying cunt was defeated by Yaihiko for no good reason and the transvestite couldn't deal with a 16 year old and a meme fighting style teacher with a practice sword. It makes even less sense when the Sword Collector was supposed to be the weakest of their group and nearly managed to kill Kenshin alone.

Which episodes are the filler episodes?

It's not just a matter of Trust & Betrayal being a prequel, the tone is just so drastically different compared to the rest of RK. Even the part of the manga it was based on wasn't so constantly somber.

everything after Shishio I'd imagine.

Pretty much this, after the Shishio arc they ran out of material to adapt so they went with anime-original filler until there was enough material to adapt.

To bad the filler was shit and the ratings dropped so bad the show was cancelled right when they were getting back on track

In the first season? I just played it by how "filler-y" they felt.

Everything after Shishio was filler, I stopped watchign after that fight.

>be me
>hooked on Heart Of Sword, played that shit on Discman (it was in 2004, fuck you) hundreds of times
>the original, ripped version from the CD I've bought is still in the computer even to this day (in .wma no less)
>several years later
>decided to search for that song on youtube
>ah cool there's the original MV
>watch MV
>pic fucking related

Was anyone let down a little by the actual Shishio fight? The final Sojiro fight was really good, actually getting across that he was better than Kenshin in certain aspects. Shishio himself was just another gimmick samurai and never really felt incredibly strong, especially with everyone being really injured by the time they got to him.

I hope more of the new-ish Rurouni kenshin manga gets translated

thought on live action RuroKen movies?

HxH 99 fillers were pretty solid.

HxH and Ruroni Kenshin had the same director.
You might also like Getbackers also by the same director

Dun dunt duuunt dunt.

Loved the ost

Here you go.

Is this the confessions thread? I have only watched the live action movies.

This. Watching the anime after reading the manga was almost painful.

Sidenote, the Live Action Kenshin movies are pretty good. The first one especially is worth a watch.

>Hareluya Boy

Woah, now that's a series I haven't thought about for ages.

Awesome manga, shame it didn't end with him conquering the world though.

You kinda sound like you were born after the 90s.

Just read the manga then, the manga's aged fine.

>It makes even less sense when the Sword Collector was supposed to be the weakest of their group and nearly managed to kill Kenshin alone.

I don't remember him being listed as the weakest in the group. But he was fighting an unarmed Kenshin that was trying to protect a baby.

Soon as Kenshin got a sword he flattened him.

Was my fav manga/anime of all time for a while.

Now I have watched so much I don't have a fav.

Ninku was one of the inspirations for Naruto, IIRC. I liked it, though.

>Magical feng-shui
But I liked magical feng-shui.

Had a similar experience with Maison Ikokku's "Cinema." Watch the anime video first and then look for the actual music videos and cringe.

Unexpectedly decent.

I was sad Kenshin's sensei didn't call him an idiot, though. He did in the original and it always made me laugh.