My CPU is hitting 95c when gaming. Is this bad? Will buying a new cooler + paste even help? Should i just buy a new CPU...

My CPU is hitting 95c when gaming. Is this bad? Will buying a new cooler + paste even help? Should i just buy a new CPU? i5 2500k btw

Why did you pay 2500k for an i5?

you need a new cpu likely.

get something above average so it doesn't age like milk.

Christ user, yes that's bad. How old is your CPU? When was the last time you reapplied thermal paste and what cooler do you have?

95 is too hot. Buy a better cooler, reduce your overclock, improve airflow, wait for Winter etc.

Jesus user, I start panicking when I hit 70's, and my comp warns me to turn my shit off if it goes hotter than 80

How about 80C?

I've got a GTX 770 4gb which is designed to run for temperatures "up to 80C"

So does that mean it's fine? It's at 80C almost 100% of the time in any game from the past half decade.

2500K is a model number

Reapply thermal paste.
Clean the fan.
Clean Case.
If those don't work, RIP in pepperonis CPU fan or the CPU.
Might be time to invest in a Self-contained water cooling unit. P. cheap now and easy to install unless your fucking stupid and can't build with legos.

I thought it was the thermal cut-off temperature.

It is bad, but I think it can do up to 100 degrees. You still using the stock cooler? Any aftermarket heatsink will do, I got the 212 evo. If you're not using the stock cooler then just reapply the thermal paste.

t. 2500k owner since 2011

Sunshine was such a great fucking movie desu

Idiots. 2500k is how many kilobytes the cpu can hold.

If it doesn't heat up so much that it shuts off it's probably fine. Even then it should last a few more years.

>I spoke with god

I cool my unlocked and overclocked sempron 145 with the room fan. Usually it tends to go over 100C but this way it sticks to around 60C

Get a new CPU cooler and maybe thermal paste, I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo for my kind of older i7 4790 and it never goes above 63c even under near full load

Is cooling expensive/difficult

Winter's coming, just move your PC near a window

No. Just get a case with good airflow and an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Its fine

no harder than the rest of pc building

maybe one of the power cables on your CPU fan came loose? i forgot to plug it in one time and that happened.

How long has the cpu + cooler been installed?
When is the last time you cleaned dust out of the heatsink?

If shit is super caked up with dust, that would explain things, and you can fix it just by getting the dust out, whether that's with compressed air or a cotton bud or whatever is up to you.

If you've had a 2500k since they were new and dust isn't the problem, you might just need to apply some fresh thermal paste, which you should use isopropyl alcohol and kitchen towel/paper to do.

"Good airflow" basically doesn't matter.

As long as a case supports having a fan for intake and another for exhaust you're totally fine.

Depends on what you're cooling and how low you want temperatures to stay.

If you've overclocked the shit out of something and want to keep low temperatures you might need to go for something more expensive like water-cooling, but for the most part you can pick up any of the commonly recommended coolers like the 212evo and end up with good temperatures.

If you're not overclocking a high end part, though, you almost certainly don't need to worry about an aftermarket cooler and should be fine with whatever stock cooler you have. If the stock cooler setup you have has the fan die or something and that has you wanting to get something fancier, just be aware that you don't need to spend $100 on a new cooler to get good results.

Hey thanks

Nice post