Make game with interesting setting, challenging enemies, good level design, satisfying weapons, great music...

>make game with interesting setting, challenging enemies, good level design, satisfying weapons, great music, and great graphics
>does ingame storytelling without removing player control better than and before Half-Life
>outsource the sequel to random dev and never touch it again
Why did Epic do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LPcJOnwWhF4
youtu.be/hXic0OcTGj4
youtube.com/watch?v=LpbsPi1C-4c
youtu.be/Ql8GWBkA7L0
youtube.com/watch?v=Bd67viF7Q54
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Unreal Tournament sold more

This

>Why did Epic do this?
Epic are a bunch on monkeys with typewriters. This has been known for at least a decade now.

What's really important is deciding once and for all what the best track from the Unreal OST is.

My vote goes to:
>youtube.com/watch?v=LPcJOnwWhF4

I liked Gears of War
I just hated how they gave UT3 the same art style.

>Epic are a bunch on monkeys with typewriters. This has been known for at least a decade now.
And yet they have created the best engine on all the industry, Unreal legacy will always live on any Unreal Tech.

>storytelling better than half life

no, Unreal is a fantastic game but that's simply not true

I like this song
youtu.be/hXic0OcTGj4

Half-Life (1 and 2) have too many sequences where you're locked in an area and have to deal with NPCs spouting a bunch of expositional bullshit before proceeding.

which is exactly why it's better

i'm sorry you are so melanin-enriched that reading and listening are chores for you.

shame their latest unreal game is unfinished shit, expect it going from alpha to beta in 2050

I have no issues with reading, Unreal is full of terminals and things you can read if you'd like for backstory and lore. I have a problem with being locked in a room for 10 minutes to hear NPCs jabber on about uninteresting bullshit. The only difference between it and a regular cutscene is you can walk around the room. If you think that's good storytelling I don't know what to say other than you're retarded.

Oh god this reminds me so much of Jazz jackrabbit 2

youtube.com/watch?v=LpbsPi1C-4c

I tried the new UT and it's already a lot better than UT3. It does need more content though and I don't like the sliding.

Same, however I more hated how they tried to give it some ham-fisted plot instead of it being just a tournament for a tournament's sake.

Did they really think going behind the science of how UT's respawners worked in terms of actual combat and calling a flag a "Field Lattice Generator (FLaG)" was a good idea?

Even if that all was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, it would (and did) clash with the "super-serious" grimderp narrative story they forced the game to go by.

I'm not saying that they make bad games, far from it, just that I don't think they know themselves what makes the games they make good or bad.

Half Life had a ton of parts where they tried to make you care about scientists and the repercussions of your actions, and those parts honestly fell flat when you just didn't care about mook NPCs and a fictional world.

Unreal on the other hand you can play just fine ignoring all the Translator logs from dead humans and the plights and secrets of the Nali, but it still gave you the option of reading and caring about all that crap if you so chose.

To commit the criminal sin of making a food analogy.

Half Life is like a burger that you can only order with red onions in it, meaning the people who don't like them won't like the burger as much as they otherwise would have.

Unreal is like a burger that comes with red onions on the side so that those who like them have them and can put them on if they want, but those that don't like them aren't forced to have them.

>psh, how dare you don't like what i like you fucking nigger
Cred Forums, along with Cred Forums as a whole, encapsulated right here.

t. casual

Not wanting to be spoonfed a plot makes me a casual? Okay I can accept that.

>Unreal on the other hand you can play just fine ignoring all the Translator logs
nigga, ive played hl when i was a kid and i didnt even know english yet, so i guarantee you that you can ignore as much as in unreal and still have enjoy it. both are linear corridors as fuck

the same guy composed the music

Good stuff

>shame their latest unreal game is unfinished shit

its literally unfinished and unreleased

youtu.be/Ql8GWBkA7L0

The best.
youtube.com/watch?v=Bd67viF7Q54

>I guarantee you that you can ignore as much as in unreal and still have enjoy it.
On the contrary, I played both as a kid and really disliked how HL would often make you move at the pace of an NPC or have you do something more or less entirely story related (IE launching the rocket to close the portal to Zen).

I felt and still do feel the way the story elements were handled detract from the game aspect of HL itself.

They focused to much a lot of the time on having things make sense in the overarching narrative that the gameplay suffered at times.

Call them "breaks in the action" and say they're there to "make you appreciate the more action-oriented segments", but I still dislike them.

I'd much rather have a game's story be presented like a-la Unreal or Dark Souls where it's there if I want it but can be entirely ignored if I don't care about it rather than have the story like in Half Life 1 & 2 where they just plop the story into the gameplay and have both suffer from it.

Just my two-cents.

Good taste user.

Wrong game, but still the best track from said game.

bump