Is it really THAT bad? Say I wanted to replay Bioshock 1 and 2...

Is it really THAT bad? Say I wanted to replay Bioshock 1 and 2, should I just install the original versions and play that instead? I've seen a lot of criticism about the remasters, but I can't really tell if it's because it's the same thing or worse.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HKNjSep6xMk
youtube.com/watch?v=lUF9BPOXfcE
youtube.com/watch?v=24kloeHy5zE
youtube.com/watch?v=3abWZK1DEc8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

its nearly the same but you get them for free so why else would you not play them

I think they took of the physics fps cap too

It looks and plays fine on a decent system you just need to make a few .ini tweaks for FOV (if you want), maybe resolution if you're running ultra widescreen, 5.1 sound and turn off in-game vsync, enable Fast Sync in GPU panel to stop flickering textures.

It's shit it's like that but once you've done it it's fine. Looks a bit better, runs well, fixed the sloppy physics from original too.

the games are fine. its just your typical graphic fags bitching at trivial things as always.

>waaahh the game dropped down to 59fps! totally unplayable!

The default sound mixing is pretty damn terrible, the radio calls are borderline mute but I can hear that splicer going JESUS LOVES ME DIS I KNOW from a fucking mile away.

kek

I noticed a lot of dialogue finishing too early, if even just a second. A few scenes seemed like they were sped up also.

dialogue skipping and out of sync with subtitles, music audio is out of sync sometimes, no surround so splicers sounds and voices are heard from any distance or direction.

>no surround sound
that explains why everything sounds like a clusterfuck.

literally inexcusable.

Because they're the exact same games but with more bugs than before.

What am I supposed to do here?

i've enjoyed the Museum and the video commentaries they added with Geoff Keighley are very interesting.

Exit and try again?

>video commentaries they added with Geoff Keighley

wut

buy the hack

you can find episodes of a documentary with Ken Levine explaining the background and story of the game after System Shock 2. Geoff Keighley hosts it. They're hidden in each level, worth it if you loved SS2.

Is it new stuff? Or just old stuff they added to fill their content quota?

Only issue I've found with it in my whole 1 hour of playing it is the game thinks I've got a controller connected, when I'm using the keyboard. This makes prompts ask for me to press RB instead of the right mouse button to switch between plasmids/weapons. Haven't noticed any weird flickering textures or anything though.

They even "remastered" the hacking minigame, god damn

Go to options, there's an option called "enable gamepad", if you disable it it'll show proper keyboard inputs.

I see Bioshock 2 Remastered is more CPU hungry than Bioshock 1 Rematsered.

It should be because it was a horrible port originally and now looks a million times better.

I actually really enjoyed realizing the benefits of an underwater setting for draw distance, as they pointed out. It never occured to me because it felt so natural and the game was stunning at the time of release

Agreed. That image looks noticeably more crisper. Bioshock 2 deserves some polish so this makes me really happy.

And I'm actually very pleased with Bioshock 1 as well. I've memorized all the bland and less effective use of effects and textures, and a lot has been touched up.

Also, I didn't know this until last night, but has anyone swam around the lighthouse before entering? If you wait long enough you start hearing women screaming and babies crying faintly mixed into the audio track. It was weird as fuck, and I couldn't tell if it was coming from within the lighthouse or if it was across in the wreckage, but I definitely never heard it in the unremastered version. Can anyone confirm?

hack the gibson

usually a bunch of fags with under-powered systems too.

inb4
>excuse me, i run this on a potato and get sub 59.997fps

Fuck you it looks waaaaaaay better.

>Is it really THAT bad?
On an absolute level, no. It's basically the same as the originals, with a few minor improvements (physics no longer 30 fps locked for example which is kind of nice), a couple old bugs squashed, and apparently on some people's systems a few new rendering bugs added. Basically a wash though or minor improvement, and it's free.

But at the same time on a relative level it's a huge fucking let down that tons of old issues with the games are still right fucking there. You still have to dick around with .ini's to make mouse stuff and the like not fucking suck, etc. It's not like that kind of manual shit is a big deal for anyone on Cred Forums but by the same token it shouldn't be a big deal for 2K to deal with. Come the fuck on. If all they'd done was take the original games, make them run nicely on modern systems in a totally bug free way and perform some quality of life maintenance themselves to save players a bit of drudgework and then made it for free that would have been fine, didn't even need to touch the graphics necessarily at all.

So yeah, it's actually kind of irritating in a weird way. Like, the complaints are minor, but precisely because they're minor and 2K is a major dev and this franchise has been around the block and been a big thing for them minor low hanging fruit should have been dealt with. And it wasn't. It's the laziness that really rustles folks maybe.

It doesn't. At all. It clashes with the style of everything else something fierce

Can any console fag confirm if you can change the sprint button in Infinite to anything other than L3?

anything to complain about...

You're wrong on this one dude.

Look at this, you dumb ass hole. It's the same thing but only better looking.

Looks like fucking plastic.

When I think Bioshock I think glass plumbing and metal framing, etc.

Technically better, stylistically worse

It's the same thing. Point out the actual differences you pedantic, drama-craved dork.

I own every Bioshock, why does Bioshock 1 show up as the remastered edition is in my library but it wants me to pay for Bioshock 2?

Shill pls

it looks too clean and bright.

It works fine for me.

The mouse smoothing is weird. It only happens when you reload/level transition, and goes away if I move the mouse around a bunch.

>has actual rust
>isn't made out of polished andrew ryan lime stone concrete
yeah you're trolling me rn

That's because the game has mandatory mouse acceleration, I think you can get around it by messing with the ini file.

The first 2 bio-shocks were better than infinite.

WOAH DUDE don't just post crazy opinions like this in the middle of a thread. you're so fucking edgy thinking that and dumping it in this thread

Yeah no shit.

Yep, same as the original. But you shouldn't have to do that either.

because you don't own the expansion pack or whatever DLC they happened to excise from the base game

wtf this isn't fair? fuck 2k

Well you shouldn't, but devs know most people use shitty $10 mouses so they think they're helping most players by putting mouse acceleration on their games.

>Is it really THAT bad?

It's not, no. But there also isn't much reason to play it over the originals on PC, assuming Bioshock 1 was playable on newer Windows which I never actually tried. I'm a few hours in now and some graphics seem a smidge better and others seem a smidge worse and the gameplay is exactly the same. The Cool Ranch Dorito-infused behind the scenes interviews are enjoyable though. It's mostly just a shitshow because of how little work seemingly went into it since it still has bugs and issues the original game had, but nothing especially gamebreaking. It also takes twice as much disc space because reasons.

man I love needing to rebuy my games

If it just a slightly nicer product then why do you people keep mentioning "there's not much reason why you'd play this one over the other" and act like it's not normal to play something that is better than something else??

>need

I've tried playing Bioshock 1 on Windows 10 with no success, so no I don't think it works.

Need meaning it's what 2K expects me to do to play the game

if you want to play the remastered version yeah. if you want to play the game no.

this isn't very hard, my dude.

Nigga it literally looks word than the originals and got effects taken out and blurred textures

you're reading too much into this bud

I don't actually care this much

Go into your user.ini file and replace

W=MoveForward

with

W=MoveForward | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0

This will remove acceleration and smoothing the second you press W

you don't need to rebuy shit, just play the original. graphics are a placebo at best, and an on/off AA slider is hardly worth any kind of upgrade

>fuck 2k
no shit

then why are you posting. just don't reply to this.

Because the slightly nicer comes with some slightly worse things. Haven't seen any of the ubiqutous comparison pictures show up in here yet, but some of the new lighting looks a bit flatter and worse. It's mostly a wash, and not "Oh Jesus you need to replay Bioshock it's like it's brand new again".

In that case it was well worth doing since Bioshock's a peachy game. I'm an oldfag who even played System Shock 1 when it was new and I still really enjoyed Bioshock. It's more of a straight shooter but it's a very enjoyable one.

>Antialiasing
>On

The fuck outta here.

oh fug, thanks mang

Do you have autism holy shit

>this much sperging

the floor is locks

I'm just saying, why bother if you don't care? Makes no sense!

>mfw it runs like a dream on PS4

That's because PS4 users are already used to poor quality.

You're underwater. You need to make sure some random asshole doesn't open the floor and flood everything

This is just fucking lazy.

Does the remaster of 1 have the ps3 exclusive higher difficulty?

Bioshock 2 has been in my backlog for years. Should I play the original or the remaster?

Stuff like this makes me very concerned.

Survivor? Yes.

Remaster. Don't fall for the Cred Forums boogeyman. It's known that Cred Forums is never right for a reason.

I mean, if you already have the remaster. Otherwise play w/e you have.

If you've got both you may as well play remaster.

Original Bioshock 2 was a bad port, it crashes a lot to the point you're forced to use DX9 with a command line, I say play the remaster, it might have less graphic options but I would take that over a game that crashes every 10 minutes any day.

1080p 60fps my man.

Doesn't dip at all. No bugs aside from the sound stuff which is in literally all versions.

this, you had to put a command line in due to crashing, and the audio bugs too

PS3 user who got the platinum here.

Have fun, that shit is fun as fuck.

>1080p 60fps my man

Yeah no shit, good job running a game that old at 60fps, but if you can follow the thread you'll see the problems on PC are very different, for instance mouse acceleration.

Are the subtitles misaligned for anybody else? They're weirdly off-center for me.

1 or 2? I'm playing 1 and I didn't notice any misaligments, but there's a weird border effect to the left every time subtitles are displayed.

I'm just stating it runs perfectly fine on PS4, nothing low quality about it.

It's in 1, haven't tried 2 yet. My subtitles look like this (not my pic, someone else with the same issue)

Hmm, they took aligned to me.

yeah it's a fuckup there are only minor cosmetic touchups, doesn't fix any of the problems with the original and even introduces game breaking bugs
also the filesize is 4 times as large as the original and the performance is fucking awful in some areas

I guess the subtitles are in the center but the vignette graphic isn't, which is weird and definitely not a bug from the originals.

Isn't that just the player looking up?

No. Here's a screenshot I just took from my own game. The graphic is centered in some weird off-center position on the screen, so it doesn't stretch all the way across.

My only complain is the sounds are different in bioshock 2. Some of the audio problems are still there from the original and theres also no echo. So it kinda loses its ambience and haunting atmosphere.

I'm mostly an S guy myself :^)

quiet, queer

I get pretty bad artifacting on specific things

works on my machine(tm) but i have had some really dumb shit like the audio going out of sync when you take the first elevator up to rapture after getting the bathysphere, and for some reason when you're walking around like half the lights are turned off.

what really grinded everyone's gears was not fixing mouse shit from a decade ago. and the graphics options are on/off shit.

it's new stuff

does bioshock 2 have dev commentary?

nope

ur gfx card dyin

Nice deflection, kiddo.

Nah I got it too exact same spot.

How do I take off the 60FPS limit of Bioshock 2?

The 1st game kind of sucked as an FPS, desu. It took off because it came out at a dry point in the 360's life cycle, and also because of "Woah, they namedropped Ayn Rand, this must be smart"

mod

youtube.com/watch?v=HKNjSep6xMk

how can anyone play the remaster when they fucked the sound so bad.

>Bioshock Remastered crashes on Win7
>Updating Win7 fixes the problem
Suspicious desu

What kind of faggots played Bioshock on 360?

The numerous kind
now you see how things ended up this way

Me

Jesus fuck, what a mess.

>Ayn Rand
>smart
nyuhhh

does setting audio to 5.1 make a difference if your using headphones? does it use higher quality or just split the channels?

>Jesus fuck, what a mess.

whatever you do don't go to the steam forums, there are people vehemently defending this shit.

No

No point in using it. Stereo headphone can actually create amazing surround audio when done properly. Just by adjusting the volume of the sound coming out of each ear your brain does all the work.

>b-but you're not allowed to complain because they're free

God PCucks just never stop fucking complaining. Always. About everything. Go play the originals if it's so bad. Which you bitched about too. If everything is so awful just find a better hobby.

Meanwhile once again as a console user I get to play this problem free and without sand in my urethra like you pieces of whiny shit.

The console ports at shit too.

Bioshock was always console shit from day fucking 1. Not surprised the ports are all terrible.

Fun fact: Canonically, Rapture is only 150 meters deep. That's 492 feet.

It works for me, even at 4k.

It doesn't play fine.

The mouse feels like it's made of glue, it also has built in mouse prediction.

There's a shitload of other problems it has but the reason I deleted it is because Everytime I opened the game, the settings reset and it switches from hard to easy

Shit crashes before it even launches

>Everytime I opened the game, the settings reset and it switches from hard to easy
set the bioshock.ini file to read-only once you have your settings like you want them. This stops it from changing them on crash or exit.

'course this fucks up collecting the director commentary reels but you can enable all of them in that file manually anyway.

Same here. It's obviously a glitch in that spot. Certain angles make it go away.

Isn't that just where the bathysphere drops you off? The facilities on and under the ocean floor like Hephaestus and Persephone are way deeper.

The mouse issues alone kill the experience for me. Fuck mouse acceleration or whatever it is. I'm sick of devs still using that shit.

yea this is awful
I can't believe they ported over that issue too
the amount of .ini file editing needed to make the game playable is unreal
once you do though its nice hopefully they get a patch up but I honestly doubt they will

Erm ok so I played the original and was pretty excited to replay this but... there is no discernable difference whatsoever for me? Meh

mouse issues are (mostly) fixed with ini edits on pcgw article for the remaster

borderless is very hit and miss, even with borderless gaming it crashes randomly (probably why the game doesn't ship with it natively)

remember if you're using surround sound you can edit ini to get up to 7.1 and you have CL sound card you can turn on eax (might work with open al, not sure)

it's so stupid that such simple things that are fixed with notepad came with it.

>playing bioshock 1

2 is the only good Bioshock game. Otherwise go back to System Shock.

a lot of the textures are actually better, problem is they toned down texture mapping effects so hard all the new textures just end up looking flat and dull

as far as audio reverb just flat out doesn't work, so all the cool echo effects when you're fighting are gone.

Well it feels pretty much identical, desu when I heard Remastered I kinda thought about that Tomb Raider: Anniversary re-master but looks like the 'remaster' is just more marketing guttertrash to throw into the sin bin.

Fuck u, world.

The secret in Arcadia where you light the torches near the tomb to gain entrance to a smuggler stash is broken. The door is open by default. Small thing but kinda lame.

Identical
So
, so

They hyped up this remaster, but in the end it was just to get a quick buck out of console owners.

I mean it has fps drops and they made the lighting worse so you can run it.

>2 is the only good Bioshock game.

>Let's make a game that retcons nearly everything that happens in the first. Add new characters that are mostly shallow attempts at the characters in the first game. Characters that were these supposed "big players" in how Rapture worked that we never heard about previously.

>Let's use the same location from the first game. You know, one of the most iconic video game settings of all time? Let's do it again. The surely won't diminish any of the effect.

>Let's make the main character play as a Big Daddy. You know, those big lumbering tanks of a creature from the first game? One that was supposed to represent the downfall of the city? You play as one of those now. Except much, much weaker. Because you know, if we learned anything from the first game, playing as a Big Daddy is fun.

I'm going to give the game another go having only played it once but as of now, regardless of just how shallow of a game Infinite was, I still had a better time with it than I did 2.

>tfw playing at 4K 60fps with no frame drops or crashes

1 is the only good Bioshock game. The hipsters that tried to push 2 as the better cuz muh dual wielding never got it to stick, even on contrarian central Cred Forums. It's just a shit sequel with no reason to exist narratively, and the narrative was just about the only thing B1 did exceptionally well.

youtube.com/watch?v=lUF9BPOXfcE

Sorry plebbitor, the consensus here is that 2 is the better game. Maybe you should head on over to plebbit if you want to pretend with other like minded plebs that the objectively inferior first game is better.

>Except much, much weaker

Come back when you actually play the game or stop being terrible at it, dipshit.

>narrative was just about the only thing B1 did exceptionally well
I disagree, always thought the plot was on anime levels of dumb.

what did 2 retcon?

It's always funny when redditors try to scream about other people being reddit like they really think it's going to throw anyone off the scent. You like shit games.

Nothing the west has ever produced is anime levels of dumb.

kek

>I still had a better time with it than I did 2

You have unbelievably shit taste.

You don't have nearly as much health in the game as a normal Big Daddy would. More powerful in the sense that you can use plasmids? Sure.

Regardless is was in my opinion a boring direction to take.

I don't give a fuck about its context to Bioshock 1. Bioshock 1 is fucking garbage and I genuinely don't give any fucks.

>I'm stupid and angry and you can't talk me into being anything different!
Well, okay.

2 was by no means bad but it was a cash grab.

user

I'm going to explain this as plainly as possible.

Bioshock 1 is a shit game and I don't care about anything in relation to it. Come up with legitimate reasons and I might care, but everything you stated required the context of the first game and I DO NOT CARE.

Good job parroting Yahtzee you retarded little drone, thank God nobody buys that bullshit allegation after Infinite.

higher res textures
less options than the original
more bugs than the original

it's honestly worse

user, it has nothing to do with me how retarded you are. That other guy already articulated why 2 was a shit game in comparison to 1, if you still insist on throwing this giant hissy fit over some shitty sequel's honor it's on you.

is there even enough pttp stations in 1 to upgrade all the weapons?

Who's parroting?

The fucking setting alone is enough to tell you that. Imagine if that new Deus Ex did Detroit again? Fuck even the Assassin's Creed games in all their blandness have different cities every game.

Even if the level design is different, it's still the same city, and that's just lazy.

yes

>even if its different its still tbe same

Kill yourself. Nobody complained when Ken 'the hack' Levine rehashed Rapture for the shitty DLC but when the sequel did it its a fucking crime against humanity.

Did they fix the Circus of Value having no voice in Bioshock 2's remaster?

They didn't fix shit

I never managed to finish it because I always had performance problems, regardless of PC.

So I'm enjoying this. Plays flawlessly. And it's still fun.

It is a shame about the audio, though.

Just finished it. Here's my thoughts

Overall the remaster of Bioshock 1 is quite average. There are definitely some advantages like clearer dialogue, improved character models, animations which play at 60 FPS, 60 FPS and enhanced resolution in general for console users. There is also access to developer commentaries, survivor difficulty, turning off Vita chambers and the DLC levels. Unfortunately the remaster also comes with its own issues. The most obvious of these are changes in lighting to areas which makes every room in the game brighter seriously killing the mood in some areas. Another terrible problem is frequent crashes caused by just about anything ranging from saving the game to picking up a tonic. The game only autosaves at the start of each level so you are never truly safe from these crashes. A final major disappointment is the textures. While the textures are greatly improved over the original they have in many areas a distinctly less gritty look and suffer from an existing LOD bug which seems to have only gotten worse.

Next are the less frequent annoyances which do pop up from time to time. This includes segments of any audio in the game playing twice or thrice. There are levels where the water looks far less impressive for example in Arcadia there are several pools of water which used to have lights properly reflecting on them but this is completely absent in the remaster.

There are still many small problems and bugs that persist beyond these. To summarize as someone said in another thread it is the combination of small problems and weakening of mood which serve to make the remaster a less impressive experience. There are some levels where the remaster feels better but generally the overall experience felt worse than original at least on PC. If you previously played Bioshock on a console and want to play it on PS4 / Xbone then it is definitely still worth getting.

Here's an example of where the new textures and lighting destroys the mood

Artemis Suites in the original game had textures far grittier than this and the lighting was far darker

Here's an example of weird bugs you see a lot. This shadow is caused by a corpse on the floor above

And just one more for now. This one frequently happens when you kill a spider splicer on the ceiling

They hang from it and you cannot get them down

This.

Only minus the >much, much weaker part. The protagonist in 2 is way overpowered and if you "adopt" (I think that was the word) the girls instead of harvesting them, you end up with retarded amounts of adam and the game becomes easy as fuck.

> user raises valid point
> lol xDDD ur just a shill

Please consider ending your life :)

so close

I got exactly the same thing at the same spot. I guess this is a feature of the remaster.

>the amount of .ini file editing needed to make the game playable is unreal
Well it's running on the Unreal engine after all... HUEHUE

Well they actually used the right word for this. Remaster = the same shit with a coat of new paint / Remake = brand spanking new so I guess your expectations were way off.

can't see shit, captain

>pirating this broken mess

Guess he actually followed the devs advice and turned the gamma way down.

>tfw the dlc has not been fully integrated into the game and still needs to be unlocked.
A more blatant shekel grab i have not seen recently.

No idea what you're talking about.

>user raises valid point
>FUCK YOU AUTIST I DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT BECAUSE I HAVE NO EYES
>valid point

That was present in the original.
Many a time did i create spider hanging decorations.

disappointed that almost all original bugs are still in

is it just me or some of the arm and hand positioning on the weapons kinda janky? like when you're holding the pistol the wrist bend is crazy.

>If you wait long enough you start hearing women screaming and babies crying faintly mixed into the audio track.

Sounds like they have added stuff to better tie the game to infinite.

I'm playing it right now. Set compatibility to Win XP SP3 and enable EAX in-game. That gets rid of the audio bugs

>never knew there was an uncapped framerate option on consoles
>toggle it
>it looks a bit shittier but it plays so much better
i can kind of understand muh fps whiners now

30 and 60 fps has a very noticeable difference

>You don't have nearly as much health in the game as a normal Big Daddy would.
that's because Delta, or Johnny whichever you like better, is not an actual Big Daddy candidate, he was just a diver that was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and on top of that he was the prototype for the (failed) Alpha series

>be scrolling through Steam library
>see five bioshock games
>wtf.jpg
>turns out i got the remasters for free because i owned the originals

Fuck this piece of shit. I've never played a Bioshock title and I wanted to start from 1 but I've spent fucking hours trying to get it to work. Still either a black screen or I have to play in windowed mode.
Will I miss out on much if I just skip the first one?

It's the best game, so yes.

So I just have to play in windowed mode? Fuck that.

I havent played Bioshock 2.

Is there any point playing the remaster instead of the original? I have both.

If you CAN play BS2 without bugs, play that one. Remasters ruin the ambience for shinier gwaphix

Better grafics, worse sound. Pick your poison.

is larry kill?

It's a FEATURE

they really missed out chance to improve B1 by adding B2 overhauled mechanics like new hacking minigame, or ability to combine 1H weapon with active plasmid.

>ability to combine 1H weapon with active plasmid
So wrench/pistol + plasmid?

It only crashed for me once in 3 playthroughs

youtube.com/watch?v=24kloeHy5zE

Sounds good to me. It would make nice alternative to Tommygun and Shotgun, which is your bread and butter normally.

You fight Alpha series ("Delta prototype" suggest you're 4th one produced) in final levels of Bioshock 2, and they're a lot softer than normal Big Daddies

>Tommygun
That thing NEEDS kickback reduction upgrade to be usable. I'd rather upgrade anything else for more damage

This happened when I played deus ex with uncapped fps before it got patched. The original

Name this game. If it's on Steam, it will be downloading shortly.

Do not worry sweet fraulein, I am no stranger to shitty FPS.

Get the fuck out of my comment box you gay, I was talking to this guy .

game?