You've just become the head of fromsoft, you're tasked with making a dark souls spin off sort of game like BloodBorne...

You've just become the head of fromsoft, you're tasked with making a dark souls spin off sort of game like BloodBorne. The theme is pirates in the 17th-18th century. How will you make this game so that it's inspired by heavily by Souls and bloodborne but isn't a complete rip off. Bonus points if you can find a way to add in ship battles without them being bullshit sections that everyone hates.

Other urls found in this thread:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/46/68/0e/46680ef730e9d9982bf01f5985d5fe34.jpg
i.ytimg.com/vi/v0MzZyZ-ty8/maxresdefault.jpg
guildmag.com/wp-content/uploads/Lions-Arch-09.jpg
sggaminginfo.com/wp-content/gallery/guildwars217-8/lions_arch_07.jpg
ferdyonfilms.com/Hook 6.jpg
i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/dsteingass/Hobby Stuff/ship.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Undead pirates eventually end up making way for Cthulhu shenanigans. Where's my cheque?

Given to someone else who actual worked.
You're fired.

this is not a good idea

pirates are about short brutal battles and quips, swashbucklers were the capeshit of their time

souls is ultimately an exploration experience, so the proper direction to go is future/aliens, or a 'I'm the bad guy' dungeon keeper concept

Pirates find a dimensional portal that drops them in the Armored Core universe. Game continues on as an Armored Core game.

Remove the stamina mechanic.
It's there to make sure the players don't just spam, but rather use their movements carefully.
But it also ends up being similar to the health regen mechanic that every modern shooter has: You get hit, and instead of using your skill to compensate for your mistakes, you have to sit and wait until the bar refills. It creates unfun sections, and there are other ways to make punishing gameplay
For instance:
>A single button for "attack"
>You can chain attacks by just spamming the button, but they deal low damage
>However, at some frame after the attack animation ends, you get a notification (your sword lights up for a moment, or something), and if you press the button then, and not before or too late, you perform a heavy attack
This mechanic could be applied to pretty much everything (parrying, rolling after falling from a high place to avoid damage/skip stand-up animation, double jump...). And it would also make combat much more interesting and hard, instead of just being "make sure you don't attack too often, and try to get behind the enemy"

Make a souls game about ninjas, fuck pirates that shit is so overdone with ass creed and pirates of the carribean and one piece

Samurai Souls

I cancel it and make a Souls Pachinko game instead

>nioh

I think a cool theme for a souls game would be north korea

Pirates age sounds comfy and can be pretty cool. But I wouldn't want pirates persey, but an age of exploration esque tale set in a forgein lands sounds pretty cool.

Literally just want a good pirate game. Ship combat, piratey fighting, and pirate adventures/misadventures in general. I would kill for a good pirate game. The closest that we'll ever get is Ass Creed IV, which was fun but is ruined by the whole assassin shit. Why must pirate things sell so poorly? (aside from Pirates of the Caribbean)

The only way to go is you end up in hell, but not normal hell, a pirates hell. The krakken, mermaids, skeletons, ghosts, mermen, flying dutchman, etc. The game starts off in an old time pub at an island port where pirates are drinking and telling stories, wenches are dancing and music is playing. After walking out of the bar, a woman in a black funeral dress with her face covered leads you to a dark alley she embraces you with a kiss, and hands you a map, not just any map, a map that leads to the flying dutchmans treasure, she fades out of existence as she walks away. Suddenly the ocean gets turbulent and a hurricane wipes the port and everyone in it to the bottom of the sea. You wake up almost 3 days later on a single wooden board in the middle of the ocean, the map firmly gripped in your hand. Strange things start to happen a thick fog rolls in, you notice a ship with seemingly no crew coming your way, it stops dead infront of you and a ladder falls down by itself. You've climbed into the boat without any other choice and are now on a journey to find the dutchmans treasure. Little do you know your compass is possessed and you are led to several haunted ports, the depths of the ocean, the mouth of a whale and a witch. Each contains new enemies based on pirate lore. It takes until the very end to realize that you are dead and that you were from the beginning, it turns out one of your mates stabbed you at a game of blackjack in the pub. You died that instant but were unaware, the woman in black was death granting you passage to hell and the map is to lead you to the next life

I made Bloodborne 2 for PC only just to fuck with Cred Forums

okay this may just be crazy enough to work

>game is themed around the balance between the mythical 'hero pirate' and the actual 'villain pirate'
>only real motivation in the story is to find some legendary treasure
>how you behave depends on if this treasure even exists or not
>instead of souls, your primary resource is a fairly opaque reputation system
>actions towards either spectrum (the heroic, 'ideal' pirate; or the selfish 'actual' pirate) generate the same points, but diminish certain gameplay elements as things progress
>actions towards the 'ideal' tend towards loot-based quest featuring mythical beasts, exotic locations, a few tentpole villains
>these actions include pursuit of loot above all else, stylish action gameplay and consumption of rum
>'actual' actions include cheap gameplay tricks, cheesy builds, actively murdering NPCs for whatever mats they may drop, basically allowing for the wiki-walkthrough playstyle whilst simultaneously discouraging it
>enemies are more human, you are hunted by national navies rather than stalked by kraken
>loot is on a more literal level - buried treasure becomes a guarded vault or even a commodity hard to sell on once stolen like an unknown spice
>the game, its difficulty, its arch, its enjoyability, literally revolves around how you decide the pirate myth should be approached
>and you are punished for taking the optimum route

there's a lot missing but that's the general idea.

Cancel it because I can't charge $60 for the same game a 6th time

Souls is all about close combat, and exploration of mostly indoors/small areas
Pirates are all about long range combat, and moving trough an empty plane of water

>Nioh ends up selling really well
>Sony want a repeat of it and commission From to do Sengoku Souls

Be honest, you'd be excited.

What abot Sea of Thieves?

Yeah, pirates is a terrible idea.

I'd go with maybe some Persian Gnosticism spin off.

Make it PC exclusive to truly convey its setting

simple just use the dark souls combat system with a treasure island/pirates of the caribbean vibe and to make ship battles work just make it so you aren't the captain and you are part of the boarding party.

bonus: take it further by making hiding/retriving treasure be a massive dangerous ordeal where you avoid wild animals and tribal/pirate traps while you traverse various islands.

Throw it in the trash and make a new Armored Core.

Fucking this

I'm wishing for a more mature type of pirate game though. Not necessarily realistic to the Golden Age, but at least involving bloody fights, smuggling, alcohol, women, and crime.

I never played the souls/FromSoftware games. If I were to get them which ones should I start with, and should I skip any?

I think GTA is your kind of game

That's actually pretty cool, but I still see the enviroments as an issue. It should take place in ports/cities, since small islands and ships don't allow for exploration or shortcuts.
I'm thinking something like:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/46/68/0e/46680ef730e9d9982bf01f5985d5fe34.jpg
i.ytimg.com/vi/v0MzZyZ-ty8/maxresdefault.jpg
guildmag.com/wp-content/uploads/Lions-Arch-09.jpg
sggaminginfo.com/wp-content/gallery/guildwars217-8/lions_arch_07.jpg
ferdyonfilms.com/Hook 6.jpg

If there have to be ships in the game, they should be an area themselves, not just a vehicle. Like a massive dutchman, in the lines of
i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/dsteingass/Hobby Stuff/ship.jpg

>wake up in a deprecate ancient middle eastern palace
>place is flooded with sand
>this is the tutorial level
>open ended, multiple bonfires
>dead warriors line the halls, old statues venerating great heroes, evidence of some kind of battle
>barricades everywhere
>corpses of strange mythical beasts all around
>find a massive door slightly ajar
>inside is a massive white bird, sickly and dying
>door closes behind you
>the bird opens its wings to reveal a standing warrior
>an old man with bleach white hair wielding a sword and leaning on a massive javelin for support
>first boss
>upon defeating them both, you get a feather
>using it teleports you out of the palace into a ruined Pars where the great heroes failed against the forces of evil
>you must relight the fires of Zoroaster to restore the shah and bring peace to the land
>world is full of looters and bandits from Arabia and places further west, some persians, and all sorts of hindu/Zoroastrian inspired monsters, sorcerers, demons, dragons, snake people, etc.
NEED IT

Toss in some fallen Archons who rebelled against the Demiurge, trying to relight the fire by bringing back fallen warriors from the afterlife. You fight the Archons still on Demiurge's side.

Also kaballah magic and golems.

Really they should use dead ME civilizations for inspiration for their next series. It's such an easy transition.

Force them to re-make Demon Souls with stable 60fps.

Then resign and play the game.

Oh yeah haunted ships will definitely be a thing, but i had to cut the post down to fit the jist of it. You get your very own ghost ship to sail around in, and little by little new crew members keep appearing as if they are alive when actually they are all dead, by the end of the game you have a full crew full of ghosts. P.S. they are all of the people from the opening, it turns out a massive bar fight ended up killing everyone in a drunken stupor once you were stabbed.

i will make 80s future neon souls

This is not very 80s-future, user

>be one of many expendable pirates on a cursed ship
>blindly follow mysterious captain's orders to kill and retrieve the souls of great sea beings (Sea Serpants, Krakens, Giant Crabs, Cthulhu)
>insert morally ambiguous and dubious crew mates you find along the way
>insert deepest lore
>insert Motoi Sakuraba
>Get Invaded by red enemy phantom ships
> I am Miyazaki

i know, i dont have the right picture to represent it. also i would try to make a souls game based on hindu mythology , mainly the Mahabharata

what the fuck is wrong with sid meirs pirates

I fuck off and make an armored core game, because souls is hard gay.

That's like the perfect combination honestly. False gods, demons, their human worshipers, existential connections to a world ruled by evil to give it the same souls vibe, even the gameplay aspect of fighting through the game could represent the spiritual journey.

I will fund a jack black solo album instead because it would sell better than this shit idea

Something from the ME would have the most amount of material to work with.

But I also think if Miyazaki just decided to make it Beowulf Souls, it'd work really well too. They'd just need to be a lot more creative since there isn't as much material about Old English mythology.