I played and beat Dark Souls 1 and it was fun

I played and beat Dark Souls 1 and it was fun.
What should I expect from this game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6ESqvGzdnvs
youtube.com/watch?v=s3nckWeT-m0
youtube.com/watch?v=aY-CEFD8X1Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Demons Souls is best souls

THIS

>shit bosses
>1 good area
>magic broken as fuck
>barely any cool weapons
>dumb AI

Worst souls

It's clunky and dated as fuck. everyone who says otherwise needs to take off their prescription nostalgia glasses

beta test for all future souls games

>good

>bad

So which is it?

First post best post

A few steps backwards.

Having to farm for healing items.

Having to pay very careful attention to your item and weight management.

Not being able to do much with your weapons until you beat a pretty goddamn tough boss.

Creative, if a bit gimmicky, boss battles.

Worst music in the Souls series (Yeah I said it, fight me.)

Magic being OP as absolute fuck holy shit.

Highly convoluted weapon upgrade system that, while kind of cool in some respects, just ends up diluting the upgrade material pool.

It's alright.
Better in some respects worse in others

Magic is insanely OP in Demon's, making it the easiest Souls game in the series.

Run game but it is very of its time. Everything Demon's Souls did has been done better by one or more of its sequels with the exception of level design. Latria is GOAT and will never be dethroned.

>Worst music in the Souls series (Yeah I said it, fight me.)

>Demon's Souls was my first FS title.
>I played DaS in PS3 and X360.
>I played DaS 2 and 3 in the PS4

Demon's Souls is a poor's man Dark Souls.
Don't be cheated by the console/PC arguments, it's a fun game, play it, but it's far worse than the DaS series. Including 2.

>Easiest/hardest Souls game
This is how you don't give that person's opinion credit.

lying to justify your shit opinion just makes you look like an idiot

Demon Souls = Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls > Dark Souls 2

Not lying.
Just the truth.
>DeS is far worse than DaS series.
>Bloodborne is better than any game of the Souls series.
If you like games because of Cred Forums, you are an idiot.

Aside from Astrea, which tracks actually stood out to you? I've played DeS 3 times now and I cannot say any of them were terribly memorable. I guess True Allant as well.

>even thinking Des is remotely as good as BB and then even saying it's better than Das1

The game is just not good OP. Like someone said twenty posts ago, it's like a beta test for the rest of the series.

Bloodborne>DaS=Das3>Das2>DeS

Everyone remembers Tower Knight's HA HAHAHA HA music. Armour Spider's also sticks with me, as does Fools Idol and Old Monk.

Out of all the games DeS's soundtrack is the one I can remember most of, because it's comparitivly simple. It's not the best (that's Bloosborne by a mile), but it's easy to remember.

Dark Souls is a step down from Demon's Souls in almost every way.

Demon's Souls has consistently good level design, and the overall game doesn't go to shit halfway through like in DaS. Bosses are infinitely more unique and are more than just the repetitive hit and dodge fest with DaS1 bosses.

Even then, a lot of the bosses in DaS are failed rehashes of DeS bosses (Bell Gargoyles being bargain bin Maneaters, Asylum Demons + variants being weaker versions of Vanguard, etc.).

Furthermore, DeS is overall more punishing due to tendency and item load, thus putting more weight to your actions. Only thing DaS has over DeS is the interconnected world, but even then it hurts the individual level designs of the game.

user I disagree, but I only post this youtube.com/watch?v=6ESqvGzdnvs

>Worst music in the Souls series
I agree. I don't like the vocals in the music. They can be quite annoying sometimes.

So Cred Forums I started my plat marathon with DeS in may now I'm at DaS III, am I a shitter for not seeing how its worse or less polished than the other games? Honest question because I've been enjoying them all without any complaints or buyers remorse help me understand you guys

Massive step down from even King's Field with the interconnected worlds.

If you don't care about that, probably one of the best otherwise. Gimmicky bosses are actually a nice break from dodge-counterattack-repeat.

Less polished? No. It's more complete than Dark Souls at least.

Worse? I think that should be readily apparent to anyone playing the game in the year 2016. Read the thread.

I actually kinda hated Bloodborne's changes to the core gameplay speed.

Atmosphere and setting were great but the higher speed of combat and the dodging being so forgiving were a mistake. It really took what made Demon's Souls the best game in the franchise and threw out the best parts.

Let those button mashing spastic retards have their shitty action games Souls should be about slow and methodical play with harsh punishment for failure not hyper fast twitchy action.

>the overall game doesn't go to shit halfway through like in DaS
Except with every single final world boss. Each one is a shitty gimmick that is worse than Bed of Chaos tier, because at least BoC doesn't reset each time you die. One is just a regular npc fight (can even throw in Monk because the multiplayer is dead these days). They're more thematically interesting than DaS bosses, but mechanically they're garbage

One Who Craves Souls is god damn masterpiece you nigger

Absolutely shit taste, my man. Demon's Souls' OSTs at least tried not to be a generic "Hanz Zimmer Tries It: Fantasy Flick's OST" (I'm looking at you, Dark Souls II, nobody likes you for a reason)

user what is this?

HAAA HAAA
HAAA HAAA
HAAAEAEEEEAAA
HOOOOOooooOOOOAAAoOO

Demon's Souls music is garbage. They basically improved the OST with each game. Going back to Demon's Souls really shows how far they've come.

All the same speed except DS2 you fucking tard. Ever heard of a Longsword? Ever heard of low equip load? DS2 is the only sluggish one, and its shit.

>opening cutscene
>that cheesy music

0 mercy. This was the game that started it all and it chewed you up and spit you out with no warning and no mercy.

This was before they started making things easier for retards. You'll still be a scrub in one aspect though which is invasions. In this game, they are totally unlimited but you won't face the full wrath of that since you weren't there for its heyday.

The pic?

slightly more linearity. better atmosphere. one of the best games you've ever played, go in blind you asshole

Best attention to detail, overall world, story pacing, and tone. A lot of the individual zones are pretty bad.

DS1 has much, much better boss fights, and the Estus system is much better than Grass. The gameplay is also better, for the most part.

>All the same speed except DS2 you fucking tard.
No, Bloodborne is by far the fastest game and it's too the detriment of the series.

Demon's Souls is slow just like the Dark Souls games. Where movement is weighty and slow paced, each movement in important and essential.

Bloodborne you're so light and fast you can just carelessly attack and dodge without any serious thought just going off reaction rather than planning and forethought.

Death actually having consequences.

BUM BUM
>On the first day...

fuck are you on about? demons souls has the least HEE HOO HA HEE-HEE opera vocals shit out of all the souls games.

Yeah I sure do remember how much planning and forethought I had to do to put up a shield and circle strafe enemies.

Yea

in DeS you run and roll lite as fuck m8. Use a straight sword, and its no slower than Bloodborne. not at all. stop trying so hard. also in DeS you can just carelessly block and tank stamina. methodical as fuck right?

kill yourself nigger

Don't know.

Compared to its predecessors? Hardly.

>barely any cool weapons
>dragon bone smasher
>meat cleaver
>northern regalia
>scraping spear
>penetrating sword

Heck, even the tutorial boss' music sounds actually good. It's plain, simple, yet so menacing

>Penetrator
>Ceaseless Discharge

How the other Souls games didn't keep up the tradition of shitty boss names with sexual innuendo?

>wet nurse

the controls are really fucking delayed and shitty

theres less content and areas to explore

How are they delayed, or different?

Nah. Best Souls track coming through:

youtube.com/watch?v=s3nckWeT-m0

this is my fave, I just fucking love this game's music man. I used to just idle and listen to the track repeat, done it for hours before. Good times.
youtube.com/watch?v=aY-CEFD8X1Q

If you just played Dark Souls, you should wait like a month or two before you play this. It's a great game, but lacks the polish and refinement that DaS implemented, which will become very evident if you play it immediately after beating DaS. If you REALLY liked DaS and need something to fill the void right the fuck now, just play DaS3.

Storm King in Demon Souls instantly cemented the game as the best in the souls series.

And world 3 for its creepy atmosphere.

thats a job title for women employed to breast feed another's child, user. its not sexual.

Why did you post it senpai?

best souls game
dark souls series feels too much like western aaa

I just started playing it again after 4 years. It always bugged me that I never sunk in the time to it like I did the other Souls games.

Mechanically it is the weakest in the series, but that's to be expected from the first of 5 games.
Upgrading equipment is by far the worst aspect of the game taking into account the drop rates and the number of ores.
The world is set out before you without any of the stupid vagueness that plagues the later games. The story is simple but is what it needs to be. The atmosphere is by far the best in the series, especially in Latria. There's a real vibe of hopelessness and it layers on you thick and oppressive. You really feel the dread at times.
Music is the most varied in the series. Compare the variety of the tracks in DeS to anything from the next 4 games. Each song in Demon's Souls fits the type of boss perfectly without falling into the monotony of blaring orchestral arrangements and heavy chanting that makes up 90% of the soundtracks of Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

It's a really good game and if you liked Dark Souls 1 you should also like Demon's Souls.

It's a fun game. The bosses are easier than the other ones, but it still holds up. I beat it a week ago, I had a good time.

-Crystal lizards

Don't listen to people in this thread OP

I played DaS, DaS2 and DeS in that order and I think DaS > DeS > DaS2.

Demon's Souls has a lot going for it. Intelligent level design for one. Music is the best of the three I've played. It's also not too long

Bloodborne changed the speed because it wanted to be different to the Souls games. There's a far higher emphasis on staying on the offensive as seen by the decision to remove shields from the game (aside from the joke one). While in many ways it is still a Souls game, it shouldn't be viewed in the same light as the rest because of the design changes.

>implying anyone played Kings Field
Did King's Field 1 (Jap) ever get a western release?

>shit bosses
>1 good area
why even read on when the first two points are blatantly wrong?

It's slower and lacks the polish of DaS, but the combat is still essentially the same and it's atmospheric as fuck

The story is a bit more coherent, but leaves less up in the air
Magic is broken
Dodging>>>armor/shield
It's rather short, relatively speaking
If you enjoyed Dark Souls, you should enjoy Demon's
You've got a heart of gold. Don't let them take that from you.

Maiden Astraea is the best boss fight in the whole series
1. Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland
2. Sif
3. Artorias
4. Tower Knight
5. Ornstein and Smough

awful taste

Pretty good ambiance.
Shitty hub-based level connection. More linear as a result as in there is only one way to enter each zone.
Worst firekeeper.
Faster pace.
Easier but less satisfying combat.
Neat armor designs.
Gimmicky bosses.
Dead online scene.
Farming.

It's a good game, just not the best souls game.
It's an easier, more stylish Dark Souls.

Also don't play as a mage, but then again you should never play mage in a Souls game.

More of the same, but not as refined as the other games, still a really good game.

what is your top 5 then, nerd.

It's pretty much the same deal.
Everything feels slightly stiffer and you move faster, including attacking and you'll find the combat relatively fast compared to Dark Souls.
Other than that, those mechanics should be completely familiar to you.
You also can't jump or do a plunging attack but you can climb waist-high walls.
Gravity is the lowest in the series, you can survive some serious drops just fine. It also means that you can reach further by rolling off a cliff instead of just walking off.

>Worst firekeeper.
You take that back right now motherfucker.

She has shit all over her face senpai.

Way to waste those quads talking shit about the Maiden.

Quads of truth bb.

#1 Gravelord Nito
#2 Bed of Chaos
#3 Smelter Demon
#4 Wet Nurse
#5 Wolnir (I like big skeletons)

Weak bait.

I love the Bed of Chaos so much because it's so god damn huge, and intimidating. I don't care if the actual fight is horeshit, that design makes up for all the shit.

Smelter Demon because I like big firey demons, with huge swords. And he's so powerful and dramatic.

Wet Nurse because of the feels and the other 2 are for the obvious reason, I like big skeletons.

Weak bait? Different opinions, actually.

Bloodbourne is good but.....
It doesn't have that variety in weapons the souls series have, it dropped the ball there.

Play Lords of the Fallen instead.

>I don't care about the gameplay in my game
Aesthetics do not excuse a horseshit fight. It's not an illustration, it's a video game.

What are you talking about? It's got more variety in weapons than the rest of them put together. It doesn't have the sheer number of weapons because there isn't any minor duplications like broken sword, long sword, heide sword etc.

>And he's so powerful and dramatic.
Every boss in the series is powerful. Smelter Demon is anything but dramatic.

>Having to farm for healing items.
Honestly I always carried too many healing items and I sucked at the game. I don't get why you'd have to farm it.

>(can even throw in Monk because the multiplayer is dead these days).
I actually played it a couple months ago and I got invaded by some asshole that spammed poison clouds, so the monk battle is still there. The online is not as dead as one might think, probably because it's still exclusive to the PS3.

>You've got a heart of gold. Don't let them take that from you.
Aw man, now I miss that guy, I never skipped his goodbye dialogue

What

Did you even have the music on for any boss that wasn't in Boletaria

Fool's Idol, Adjudicator, Leechmonger, Dirty Colossus, Armor Spider, Maneaters, Phalanx, Vanguard

Did you even play the same game as me

It is the best iteration of the Souls games for a few reasons, mostly that they didn't do anything stupid with the multiplayer, and it has Old Monk.

As someone who just beat Demon's Souls before moving onto my first playthrough of Dark Souls, I'll try and summarise the differences:
-On PS3, Demon's Souls runs a fair bit better than Dark Souls, but you have very long loadtimes and no interconnected world
-Levelling up with The Maiden in Black felt more "special" than the convenience of doing so at a bonfire
-So far I would say apart from a few outliers, Demon's Souls has easier bosses than Dark. I know lots of people have no trouble with it, but the Gaping Dragon was a sticking point that I didn't really experience in DeS's early game. However most of the bosses in DeS are super interesting thematically, and they're mostly pretty memorable
-You are very unlikely to get invaded, the online is dead. I was lucky to experience the Old Monk "properly". There are still plenty of notes, ghosts etc, so its worth playing online.
-Estus is a much better health system than grass
-You are going to miss the downward strike
-Weapon upgrading is much more difficult in DeS, and not always in a good way
-Theres a weight limit for items, which is kind of frustrating but its not too difficult to just dump stuff on Stockpile Thomas. I don't get why Dark has the bottomless box aside from clearing up your inventory.
-Nothing thus far in Dark Souls has been as memorable as the Valley of Defilement, Tower of Latria and Shrine of Storms.
-Its not nearly as dated as people make out- there are quality of life improvements in Dark Souls, but you'll mostly feel at home in Demon's
-Hope you enjoy the shortcut in 2-2

>Nothing thus far in Dark Souls has been as memorable as the Valley of Defilement, Tower of Latria and Shrine of Storms.

Demon's Souls still has a singular feeling of desolation and sadness for me, especially with the Valley of Defilement. It's not depressing/meaningless like Fallout 4, but a beautiful and mysterious dream instead.

The second part of Latria is really striking the first time you see it, too. The game takes a sharp turn towards something pretty cosmic at that point. Wasn't that area an inspiration for Bloodborne?

The same as Dark Souls, a weaker prototype of FromSoft's magnum opus and masterpiece, Bloodborne. But I suppose it's good to save the best for last.