How important is historical accuracy in video games?

How important is historical accuracy in video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger
hillaryclinton.com/post/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/
youtu.be/IuNYOwKlDIE
youtube.com/watch?v=_qd1zYV1MZg
youtube.com/watch?v=okoAQCoMYx8
youtube.com/watch?v=aqt1sh6zFaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fH0PRvZIhp4
youtube.com/watch?v=KI3eGU_wmHg
youtube.com/watch?v=IuNYOwKlDIE
youtube.com/watch?v=OSOvCNeDmtY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not at all.

>history can go fuck itself. pretty boring shit if you ask me. so they want to spice it up? twist it their own way? I say let em. pisses off storm-front and pol faggots. nobody takes video games serious anyways. no one except weebs, but they were destined to fail.

Nah man don't bring that movie into this discussion that movie was good.

This. I actively avoid games that use the real world as a setting unless it has fantasy or scifi elements.

If you are making game in an overused setting - feel free to do weird shit. If you waste opportunity to make something good in unpopular setting by adding a ton of shit that doesn't belong - shame on you, really.

Not at all.

Alternate history are the best games.

The only important thing in videogames is the gameplay

>see trailer
>think damn, I want to see this
>because I was a dumb, impressionable kid, I never did see it because everyone said it was terrible

Maybe one of these days.

Blue Streak was fucking gold though.

It depends.

If representing historical accuracy is paramount, then its important.

Example: if your making a game about WW2, and historical authenticity and realism is important, then do that, and don't do stupid non-historical things for the sake of a political agenda.

If your intention if make political statements with your game, at the expense of the game itself, then you fucked up.

I like the movie it's quite funny actually but it is a kids movie so it has nostalgic value to me don't know how it is otherwise. Worth a look eitherway

It only matters when it means excluding non-white races. Other than that, fireballs and dragons for everyone! Yaaaaay!

>How important is historical accuracy in video games?

Primarily if the game claims to be historically or culturally accurate.

Why niggers burn pictures?

Because theyre mad about racism.

L-Lauren-chan..

I really don't care as long as there is no race mixing.

not important if the game doesn't claim to be accurate, but at the same time it can't go into political agenda mode like bf1

Nah man these ones who are burning are further south in anoher country they are rioting for free education and they hate any art from the apartheid era becuase they had been Convinced anything from apartheid is racist.

this

So they aren't the sub-human ones infesting Joburg like ticks?

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Video games are fantasy, as they should be but silly shit like hamfisting niggers into WW1 triggers me and my wifes son everytiem

Unless the game states "This is histrionically accurate we swear" It doesn't matter at all

It annoys me when a game is from a time period and features any actual historical figures/places but there's something blatantly incorrect about it. It's not primary, but it's definitely important

They think he's French because he's a nigger, it's set in England.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

I fucking cried with laughter

I spent my high-school years in joburg the city center is the worst area. There are decent areas surprisingly but yea the zulu tribe is quite hectic I went to class with alot of them.The ones who goto school are Americanised the ones who don't are burning down schools for education and rioting every other week becuase they are bored at their minimium wage job. I live down south-west in Cape town now much better, Xhosa tribe mostly here our city center isn't halt a squatter camp mixed on the streets. Cape Town>Joburg but in the rural areas it's even worse since The lack of education is so hectic they can't even read or speak English but are still allowed to vote so they vote ANC to make sure apartheid doesn't come back.

None what soever.

Just look at civ 5. Alexander of Macedon is listed as a greek. EL OH EL.

Frankly I am far more interested in many other elements having some kind of real-to-life fidelity in ways that videogames just seem to completely fucking ignore.

Like the fact that no FPS allows you to trip. Either through a shot to a knee or leg, or an actual tripline. Anyone that gets hurt either takes a knew and stumbles up, or doesn't feel it. Not even in dedicated single player or PvE games.

Frankly face plants are fucking hilarious, and having the ability to halt an enemy's movements and prevent them from dodging your fire is something that could make it more than mechanically beneficial.

Hahahaha holy shit, can anyone confirm the validity of this?

>not posting the updated one that slowly gets bigger with each news article

Sure, low quality poster, I can confirm this was really posted on Cred Forums in 2014.

Nah, if a game bases itself on actual history, it should attempt to be historical. I'm not saying you can't make history a bit more exciting, but if you want to portray WW2 in a realistic fashion then have D-Day end with Americans storming a massive superzepplin threatening to sink the entire invasion fleet and only the US Mahreens can stop it then I'm going to firebomb whoever's car decided that was a worth addition to the script.

Unless it's some alternate history/action movie tier rendition of WW2 with thousands of tanks parachuting into Cairo or submarine doomsday weapons attacking Jew York. Then it's fine.
But don't fucking try to sell me black people in WW1 Europe that shit almost never happened except in the French Army, which was still an extreme rarity.

It depends entirely on the intent behind the the game's overall design.

With something like say the Assassin's Creed series where its just crazy bullshit all over the place with alien artifacts and secret orders and shit it doesn't really matter much. Pick and choose your accurate spots for the sake of flavor and keeping the concept relatively grounded.

Battlefield 1 is the bad way to do historical accuracy, where there is none, and its sacrificed entirely for the sake of gameplay, with no attempt to explain it or give reason for it. Everything is just fucked, deal with it.

Are white south-african women hot?

Look at her face. You tell me.

Are you saying thats a man?

It's just a joke but Johannesburg city center does have some crappy streets that are filled with fallout tier buildings but shutting off power and water, nope ANC rules south Africa. And Pretoria is a different province not an area in Johannesburg. Also there are no desert relatively close to Johannesburg it's mostly grass lands and hills forever.

No, it's Irene Nell, but I'm pretty sure one of her parents was a boulder.

They cycle from ugly to hot just like the rest of the world mate. I know tons of hot ones most white south African genetics is either British,Dutch or German there are tons of Portuguese aswell we have quite a shit ton of models actually.

Historical accuracy is not important as long as it's obvious that the game isn't supposed to be historically accurate
If the dev claims that the game is historically accurate or it pretends to be historically accurate (this can be difficult to tell and can be subjective as to what you think the intentions of the devs were) then it's important

Considering just how few people are up to date on history anyway I just don't care. The field changes every couple of years and most people's knowledge is from the 70s.

I unironically liked that movie, sadly the ending is shit.

Yes, but not this one.

A friend of mine knew some girl who had moved here (america) from south-africa. I never got a chance to meet her, since my friend told her I was a a fucking weirdo rhodesia\south-africa'boo and she got the feeling I was a total creeper before ever meeting me.

Oh well. I probably would've spaghetti'd all over her face anyway.

Depends on the game

Like Age of Empires campaigns and tech trees are definitely not accurate at all (Chinese lacking block printing and gunpowder units, Mesoamerican civs have access to swordsmen, etc), but it can take some interesting twists for the sake of gameplay I guess. Didn't one scenario have a disclaimer in the hints or something in regards to historical accuracy?

Everything within context.

>my wife's son
whew almost missed that one kek

Not very important. Arguably important for games set in a specific period but there'll always be something inaccurate. Actually, I think historical accuracy is kind of damning because it makes the inaccuracies stand out more, even in alt history settings. The attitudes of people in Bioshock were nothing like the people of that period which really took me out of the game.

I actually prefer it if things are absurdly inaccurate because it meshes better with how insane video game logic mixes with real world logic like oil and water.

your friend made the right call

He knows me well

Depends on how serious the game is and if it's trying to present itself as rooted in reality.
Historical inaccuracy can be used as a very useful tool in comedy.
Like if the European settlers turned up in The Americas and it was full of white suburban teenage girls. The settlers are confused because they thought they were the first of the arriving ships and ask which ship they arrived on and if they've seen any of the native people.
>Oh, I'm actually one-sixteenth Cherokee.
Comedy gild.

Rule #1 all historical characters are better off genderbent

It's a cheap, easy way to spice up your IP. Name an exception. You literally can't.

Not important when it's some fantasy story. Very important when the selling point actually is a serious, realistic story like war games, some shooters etc.

I.e. Battlefield 1 is pure garbage.

>John of Arc.
>Bro-hild
>Christopher-patra.
I don't think it work very well to be honest.
Maybe as some shitty third person cover based shooter but not in a good game.

>history can go fuck itself. pretty boring shit if you ask me.

Guess if you're a nigger because you have none

why does the west bother with africa?

If they want to make a game about history, they should make it historically accurate, if they don't do that, it's not history anymore and it becomes fiction.

Because less developed parts of africa keeps asking them to stop.

If the game is made under the pretense of historic accuracy then it has an obligation to be historically accurate.
If the game is alt history then it has a responsibility to be historically accurate aside from a few key events that changed the flow of history from then on.
If the game is "inspired by historic events" or some shit then it can do whatever the fuck it wants.

that image is a travesty to women and their right to privacy. posting that makes me physically sick. you should literally work for 29 hours, buy a cheap ticket to Hawaii, find a local tour guide, ask him to take you to Kilauea, climb to the top of Kilauea, peer into the molten abyss, and literally throw yourself inside it.

Got to fill the zoos somehow

>a Ben Garrison comic with fucking Pepe saying "kek" in it
We're approaching the meme singularity.

context of this?

What is the context of that

Just don't play any games with historical relevance if you're going to get upset that the setting is in any way accurate.

It's being posted in a Cred Forums thread in response to a comment about a large grouping of memes.

NO Fucking way!

Hillary's election team is trying to associate smugfrog with nazis

hillaryclinton.com/post/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/

a lot of TV networks and Hillary Clinton herself are trying to push the narrative that Pepe is a symbol of hate, racism and white power that is only used by bigots and Trump supporters

it's about as baffling, retarded and pointless as you'd expect.

It can be violated in name of the fun and fun only, as long the game is not posing to be historically accurate.

Why does Hillary 's election team give a shit about some meme frog

Because SJWs full of money and no connection with reality are controlling it.

has the creator of boy's club ever commented on his creation becoming a monster?

Because Pepe is literally the Swastika of 2016!

Depends entirely on the game.

For certain games a historical context improves both the setting and assists in the suspension of disbelief, creating a superior experience overall for the vast majority of players.

For others, such context is meaningless, and any benefits it may provide are equally meaningless, or non-existent. Therefore it is useless.

>Pepe is a symbol of hate, racism and white power that is only used by bigots and Trump supporters

What's the problem with that? It's not that far from what Cred Forums is and it's fine.

Is the game about history? If yes, then VERY.

Is the game only loosely based on history, like medieval or whatever the fuck? No, and in fact I encourage more games to do the same.

Are you actually making a time period piece? Very. Anything else? Not so much. Darklands is one of the very few examples where fantasy and historical period game was combined very nicely.

you're god damn right

Yes. It was the kind of stoner ravings I expected from someone who would make that trash.

>Cred Forums did what /r9k/ could not (Scare normies away)
Finally those guys do something useful, /r9k/ was wrong, you really just need to be yourself.

There's nothing wrong wih it, it's just funny seeing a presidential candidate demonizing a meme frog

Depends on the game.

If it claims to be a historically accurate game or a game where it's obvious that the lore is HEAVILY based on real life history/culture, then yeah kinda important.

Other than that, hell no. Dun give a shite.

Cred Forums is just angry normies to being with

Damn, Pepe has gotten far

What a time to be alive in

can you FUCKERS just link to a video of msnbc showing pepe

I want to know this as well

This. Remember when he was just all depressed? Being smug really help him out, aswell as sodomizing Wojak.

Not, as long as the inaccuracies help depict history as it should have been

>go into thread
>it's a Cred Forums alt right racism thread posting symbols of white supremacy

Can't wait for the mods to delete this thread soon.

TO CASTLE WOOOOOOOOOOORLD

First he was all excited about the vidya
Then came 2011 and he became all depressed
Then vile creatures got their hands on him and he first turned smug, then morphed in a billion monstrosities that roam the net like some mutating cancer
Now he's escaped into real life, too

For fuck sake, piss off back to your cancerous containment board, Cred Forumstards. Cred Forums is bad enough without you morons.

>Germany not invading Belgium, Netherlands or France.
That's not very accurate.

youtu.be/IuNYOwKlDIE

youtube.com/watch?v=_qd1zYV1MZg

youtube.com/watch?v=okoAQCoMYx8

Pepe has come a long way.

There were far more than 60 black people in WWI so BF1 isn't innaccurate unless you want them to change races abd skins for every map in the non-story based multiplayer. Just face it's Cred Forums SJWs crying about an alternate game mode in a series that has always loosely vased itself around action movie rendetions of war.

Holy shit Ben made a good comic. He even put in some clever illuminati symbols.

Well, was the first image I hrabbed off google as I couldn't be assed to boot up Vic2 or ck2 for one of my old Groß Germanium or Kingdom of Jerusalem saves. Naturally all the lands between the bay of Biscaya and the urals, as well as Holstein and Rome should be German lands, with Great Britain as a steadfast ally

>reddit

So this is why everyone is paying attebtion to pepe

I found some old videos on Cred Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=aqt1sh6zFaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fH0PRvZIhp4
youtube.com/watch?v=KI3eGU_wmHg
youtube.com/watch?v=IuNYOwKlDIE
youtube.com/watch?v=OSOvCNeDmtY

>that illuminati ahegao
Memegasmic

DIversity is more important than historical accuracy in games. Historical accuracy makes for boring games while diversity adds more choice and options in a game and boosts it's value.

American politics are now officially television.
Elmer fudd hunting a cartoon frog vs a reality show character.

Do they fucking make effigies out of trash? God damn Ooga Boogas

>Joan of Arc has cute feminine penis

There done.

In the end it comes down to the fact that 1% of the soldiers in the war are used as the cover for the game.

It turns out that the only thing you need to do to scare people away from Cred Forums is make everyone think that it's full of Nazis and racists. In other words, just bring back the public perception of Cred Forums 11 years ago.

Depends if the game is trying to be authentically historical e.g. Kingdom Comes Deliverance.

If it's Hollywood style garbage like Battlefield 1 where every soldier has an SMG and leaves out the fucking French whilst shoehorning in female soldiers. Whilst I don't care at that point since it's pretty much obviously historically inspired fiction, I would like them to stop using authentic when describing their game though.

ottomans should have the most shitskins t b h