I'm looking for an RPG to get lost in. Is Shadowrun a good choice? I've never played a similar game. Is it long...

I'm looking for an RPG to get lost in. Is Shadowrun a good choice? I've never played a similar game. Is it long? Can I use the same character through it and all of the dlc? Do I get to make my own character?

Or should I just boot up dark souls for the umpteenth time?

Do you like to read books? If not, don't even bother with Shadowrun.

They are all about 18-28 hours long.
Yes you get to make your own character.
Your character from honk knog can be used in the dlc, yes.
Not sure you will get lost in it but it is enjoyable nevertheless.

I fucking love reading books more than you can possibly imagine, I work at Barnes & Noble and there's probably $5,000 worth of books in the very room I'm sitting in

Different characters. Each DLC is practically it's own game because there are numerious gameplay changes between them.

You create your own character. They are fairly heavy role playing games. Dragonfall is the best and Hong Kong is good. I would not play the first one as your introduction. It might put you off the series.

>Is it long?
No.
>Can I use the same character through it and all of the dlc?
What DLC?
yDo I get to make my own character?
Yes.

>Is Shadowrun a good choice?

Actually, no. is largely right in that games will you gave bare bones information pertinent to what's happening, but there isn't much actual lore or world building otherwise.

>What DLC?
In some circles Shadowrun Returns is considered the base game and Dragonfall/Hong Kong the dlc to it. They are more similar to actual expansions though.

>mfw modding scene pretty much died after Dragonfall

Damn shame because we got some decent adventures. Was it poor timing? Imagine if this got released back in NWN1 days.

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are good for different reasons

Dragonfall has better characters but is far too combat heavy considering that 'runners want to avoid combat as much as possible

Hong Kong has alright characters + Racter but actually makes use of etiquettes to avoid combat, however it has the new Matrix which is the single worst stealth minigame in any video game

Circles of idiots? They're neither DLC, nor expansions. They're different games using the same engine and mechanics. Like GTA III and Vice City.

Most modders are model and texture assets, rather than writers.

The few people that create custom scenarios would rather do a total conversion in a Bethesda game or, due to modern accessibility, create a shitty indie game to flog for $5.

Dragonfall was originally a DLC for SRR before they made the Director's Cut, so people took to calling the new campaigns DLC

I thought the hong kong and stuff was DLC, or expansions or whatever, I don't really know anything about it, so I can't use one character from returns into hong kong and the others?

Oh well that's a bummer, are the stories good at least? Is there a plot or is it like amalur?

People are giving you mixed information because shit changed over time. Nowadays Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong are all standalone games, and that's how you buy them.

That's kind of a relief actually, maybe I'll buy one and see if I like it first before I invest enough to buy them all

Which one is the best place to start?

Yes. They're definitely worth a play if you don't know much about Shadowrun because I don't think there's anything like it today, at least not in video games. Keep in mind first game kinda suffers from mobile-centric UI, but latter two got it right.

>Which one is the best place to start?

they're unrelated story-wise aside from some minor continuity nods, but I'd play them in release order. returns isn't bad, it's just very light and was overshadowed by superior sequels. that was you can also appreciate improvements over time.

Buy Dragonfall Director's Cut. Don't bother with Shadowrun Returns unless you want to spend 10 bucks on an old toolset and a 5-hour campaign.

Returns is probably the best place to start, since it contains the most explanations about the setting and it's also kind of a shitty game so going back to it after the improved games will suck. However, if you only want to play one game from the series then it should be Dragonfall, it's excellent.

Divinity Original Sin. Pillars of Eternity. Shadowrun is pretty good although the aforementioned games are better.

>Each DLC is practically it's own game because there are numerious gameplay changes between them.

Anyone picking up Age of Gothic Decadence?
I can't wait to see if VD is any good at making a combat-centric game instead of a CYOA.

>Age of Gothic Decadence?

Start with Dragonfall then do Hong Kong. Returns isn't that great. I did it after both Dragonfall and Hong Kong as I got it on sale and I wanted a little more Shadowrun.

Dragonfall is the only I've played and I loved it, I was gonna get returns but I always hear mixed things about it, would be worth skipping.

If you like Dragonfall then give whatever the asia one is a shot. I have it sitting in my backlog.

Pillars of Eternity is not very good desu

none of the spell effects are very satisfying and characters feel like they hit like wet noodles no matter what you do

and the character models are awful, which is weird because the environments look great

It's actually called Dungeon Rats. But pretty much anything would be a better title than that.

How is Shadowrun any different? Pillars is miles better.

Shadowrun doesn't give your character tiny bonuses for everything (+3% spell AoE per point of Might? Seriously?) and it doesn't take 12 years to kill basic enemies without expending resources

OP here, and I dunno, Pillars just doesn't really look appealing to me at all, I usually love obsidian games too but there's something just really bland and uninteresting about it to me, I just watched a few youtube videos and read some reviews too

it's more of a tablet game than real rpg game
FUCK RPG CODEX!

Godlike Fire Monk and any cipher are the best classes desu

Shadowrun was good, solid gameplay and decent dialog, it's the closest thing to a standard well thought out WRPG that I've played in the last decade easily.
Only dragonfall is truly top tier however, the other two are playable.