So now that the dust has settled, can we agree that Doom > Quake?

So now that the dust has settled, can we agree that Doom > Quake?

Both are good in their own way, they're like 2 brothers who team up to fight in the street against crooks and villians at a bar.

Doom gets boring too quickly since it's a very easy game and I prefer the smooth quick levels of Quake. The shooting is more satisfying though.

Yes. I still enjoy playing doom today

DOOM for singleplayer
Quake for multiplayer

they both popularised fps games as mindless and repetitive

it wasn't until console shooters ironically that fps games started to mature

I'm playing through both of them currently for relatively the first time. (I've always been on and off but never dove deep)
I'm having more fun with Doom.

Get a load of this guy.

SP yes
Multi lol no

I've been playing GZDoom and QuakeSpasm. Between the two, I am enjoying GZDoom more. After being spoiled by modern FPS and Brutal Doom I'm surprised at how satisfying semi-vanilla Doom it is to play, mostly because the weapons pack a good punch and the music still kicks ass (using VirtualMidiSynth and a good sound font is a must though).

Quake is a very dark and dreary game and the visuals have not aged as well. Doom has a delightfully simple retro charm to it, while Quake looks like an old semi-modern FPS. The atmosphere in Quake is really good but I prefer Doom's. The guns all kind of suck in Quake also, mostly because they couldn't have as many on screen enemies as Doom so the weapons all had to be nerfed. The music and sound design in Quake is really good for its time although it errs more on the side of thematic ambience than it does interactive metal album.

If by "repetitive" you mean not interrupting the gameplay with story based sequences as if the game is trying to escape a genre that became a shell of its former self, then yes, i prefer the so called "repetitive" then.

Nice blog post.

They're made by the same studio and owned by the same publisher.

EXACTLY
DOUBLE SHILLING

quake was the response to people turning doom into an online multiplayer game. no one gives a shit about single player and they never did. the reason quake was so huge was because of online doom. once quake was released doom was dead. there's no reason to play it anymore since quake has what everyone wanted

anyway, ut99>quake=doom

No, I mean in varying up objectives instead of just level after level of shooting enemies

The guns may feel like shit in Quake but you have to switch between them much more than you do in Doom which makes the game feel more intense. Also while the levels don't look to hot they are still a blast to play because of how good their layout is.

I prefer Doom in just about every way. Including multiplayer.

Doom had multiplayer from the beginning, you dingus.

>In a press release dated January 1, 1993, id Software had written that they expected Doom to be "the number one cause of decreased productivity in businesses around the world."[14] This prediction came true at least in part: Doom became a major problem at workplaces, both occupying the time of employees and clogging computer networks with traffic caused by deathmatches. Intel, Lotus Development and Carnegie Mellon University are among many organizations reported to form policies specifically disallowing Doom-playing during work hours. At the Microsoft campus, Doom was by one account equal to a "religious phenomenon".[6]

Doom is a fully realized vision. Maybe not Tom Hall's fully realized vision, but Tom Hall is a hack so who gives a shit?

Quake is the engine and assets of an abandoned RPG project quickly re-purposed for an FPS. They didn't know it was going to be a shooter until four months before it was released.

I remember seeing that the Unmaker was original going to be in the first game.

it didn't have online from the beginning, jerk off

He said online. Doom's online services were third party and came after the fact.

>he never heards about Strife or System Shock
and even Quake 2 had missions with objectives, despite being straightforward shooter

Quake as we know it is a completely different game than what it was supposed to be. The team was falling apart at the seams because John Romero was out doing his rock star thing and John Carmack was tucked away in his cave trying to get the engine to work and only came out to shout at everyone for not working hard enough.

A first person RPG with melee combat shouldn't have been that difficult, because other devs had already done it, just with more primitive graphics. They had a great engine but no game, so they basically just made Doom again with a slightly different setting.

The original vision of Quake was announced when Commander Keen was still a thing and it is pretty much gone forever.