>Melee weapons do more damage than guns

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Dr7dpEDNNC4?t=41s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's possible, a serrated cut can do more damage than a clean bullet hole

>nigga is you serious

Depends on the gun and melee weapon.

>melee does less damage than guns

Why would you ever use melee if guns did more damage?

>what is game balancing

Melee weapons should be more devastating than most firearms. You need to be .50 Caliber and above before your gunshot wounds are going to be similar to stuff produced by swords/clubs/knives

would you rather get hit by a 9mm bullet or have a sword hack you from neck to navel

Europoor detected

damn you almost had me there

>this retard's brain actually functions and can keep itself alive at this level of cretinism

Pretty impressive.

would you rather get slashed across the chest or shot through it?

I've been shot before by my dad. It doesnt hurt that bad depending on where you got hit.

Now if your dad chops you in the back with a machete it'll hurt for a while.

>I've been shot before
fucking hell, what with?

Have you ever shot a rifle or any gun in your life?

>hit somebody in the head with a club
>his fucking skull collapses

compared to

>shoot somebody in the face with a .45
>make a hole in the back of their head

Melee weapons create much more devastating damage.

>magic does less damage than melee

Have you ever seen what a fucking baseball bat can do to a person? Fucking forget metal forged tools with sharp edges that are DESIGNED for murder.

Shooting a gun doesn't change how incredibly dangerous and destructive a simple longsword blow can be

We need details.
You don't get to just come on here and say some shit like this without giving us details.

>clean bullet hole
literally does not exist and never has

>get punched
>health doesn't recover overtime

>What is a flesh wound

Guns have less destructive power than swords and the like. Keep in mind that only so much destructive power is needed to kill a man, though. Getting slashed downward into your head with a broadsword is devastating to your body and is pretty much guaranteed to kill you. Meanwhile, getting shot in the forehead by a small caliber bullet does not leave as big of a wound, even if it kills you.

>Bullets don't one hit kill
TV lied to me

In the gentleman's defense, if I were to slash you with my katana it would be much more devastating than the damage any number of bullets could do.
Sure,your average Joe might not have the same results. But when I use my precision blade skills, honed to perfection over many years of training, you can bet that the results will be terrifying.

>getting shot in the heart/chest is just a bodyshot

I concur, no dumb, pathetic human could withstand the power of a single attack from my blade

Risk and reward, faggot.
Why would anybody use melee weapons at all if you could just stand at a distance and outdamage every single melee weapon in the game while the people using them have to walk right up next to you only to do much less damage than you do?

A series of wild boar hunting accidents in the caribbean.

>.22 caliber pea shooter does more damage than a combat machete

Kek no

you wouldn't happen to be hit girl would you

Well, it is

>get shot a dozen times with semi-automatic rifles
>fully recover 15 seconds later

Heh. My sword is never runs out of ammo, fag.

>Guns are useless

>How can a pocket knife be more lethal than a pistol?
>It's not supposed to be realistic user, it's supposed to be consistent in itself!

>a cut can do more damage than a bullet that goes through your entire body
ok

>Got shot by a boar hunting rifle
>"It doesn't hurt that bad"

talking about games though, should be instant kill like headshots.

>headshots don't insta kill enemies

A hammer has more weight behind it than a shotgun cartridge, so it makes sense.

>guns deal no damage and are only used to continue the combos

>get your arm cut off with a sword
>get shot in the arm
Which does more damage ?

>sniper rifles that don't kill with one shot

You can cut someone's head off with a strong enough blow.

Most firearms can't do that. A shotgun at the right spot could, but in most games a shotgun is one of the most damaging weapons, other than the BFG type weapons

That's correct

Bullets don't necessarily travel through your body though

>crawling is quieter than tiptoeing

Okay then, what the fuck is the point of having melee weapons if ranged does more damage?

That depends. Guns do more precision damage, they're also better at suppressing enemies. Melee weapons are varied - ignoring swords, which are light side-arms, clubs deal a ton of damage and getting pierced with a spear is no joke.

However, if you get hit in a vital spot with a gun, it's game over. If you get hit in the head with a club - you're still probably dead, but you could argue that's less damage.

So:
Guns - less damage, more critical damage multipliers.
Melee - more damage, less critical damage multipliers.

this guy gets it

Modelling bullet wounds is impossible without a full out sim, it's always going to be inconsistent because real life is not consistent. Someone can take multiple hits to the torso, still fight, and live afterwards. Someone can take a shot to the leg and die within minutes. Someone can get shot in the fucking head and not suffer any serious injury. The human body is an incredibly complex collection of different pieces all working together and video games never go past modelling hitboxes.

that rare event where you run out of ammo, stealth etc.

A skilled swordsman is more efficient in killing their target than a trained shooter

No, shooting has a higher skill cap.

You the shooter starts critting at all ranges every shot, it's over for the swordsman.

>Japanese issue bayonets on everything as standard

>can take being repeatedly shot by machine guns or high caliber rifles but die from a single knife wound regardless of where on the body

Red Orchestra does this right. Heart shots are insta kills from any weapon.

>Dwarf fortress is coming close to real-life ballistics
What a time to be alive.

Makes sense for superhuman characters like Dante or Raiden.

Firearms were a mistake

>multiple melee options
>punch dies shit grey damage but allows you to stun players

So that they could throw the babies of POW's up in the air and spear them with their bayonettes, like in their philipines campaign

Will we ever be able to advance human perception and reaction times to the point where they can deflect bullets with melee weapons?

>guns scales with DEX
>guns scales with STR

>guns scales with STR
Name 3 games that do this.

Hard Mode: No JRPG's

>I've been shot before by my dad
What ?

all this bait in this thread
>what is kinetic energy
>what is special kevlar vest against cuts
if games were reallistic, there wouldn't be much of variety of melee weapons, and they would be for cqc use only, as long as a single bullet wouldn't fuck the shit up of the enemy

>guns scale with any level

>get grazed by bullet
>i'm fine

>get grazed by sword
>I'm going to die in less than 5 minutes if I don't stop the bleeding

Moral Orel is i the thread

>guns scale from strength
>cannons scale with weight load
>bows scale with stamina
Or, alternatively
>guns scale with your blood or something?

It's a gameplay reward mechanic and generally not supposed to reflect reality.

>wear sunglasses
>guns do more damage

Has there ever be an RPG where the stats actually effect gun handling in action combat?

Like STR decreases recoil, DEX makes you reload faster, etc.

Sleep tight, baby Baba.

I liked it better when a single crossbow bolt could pierce both lungs and both feet on a target like some kind of magical death-bringing curse.

In that scenario, the gun kills instantly, the club only possibly kills.

Sissy wand waving fuckbois BTFO

There's been no RPG elements with any real depth in any shooter game.
It's all unlockable abilities these days so don't hold your breath either.

That said, maybe a cyberpunk Souls game could bring in some changes like that. Dark Format or whatever.

Wrong. A full swing from a grown man with a wooden club against the skull of a human being is a GUARANTEE of death. Having your brain crushed and perforated with skull fragments tends to kill pretty reliably.

Nobody could survive an execution by baseball bat. And that's just a fucking piece of sporting equipment. A proper morning star or flanged mace would have a 100% success ratio. Easily.

Moreover, a bat to the jaw will probably knock a man out due to concussion, but a bullet through the jaw/face does not.

depends where the bullet goes through and what organs it hits
meanwhile a large blade being sliced through you has a much higher chance to hit something vital, same with a stab
of course if the bullet caliber is large enough it will blow away the surrounding area with it

and yet a simple helmet can save your life from a sword blow. Against a .45? Fat chance.

Would you play a fighting game where you could die in one hit?

You know, aside from bushido blade and samurai shodown.

Actually yes. If the bullet gets stuck in the body, however, that's a different story.

>how to become a comic book character in 3 milliseconds

>Payday 2
>some shotguns do 40 damage
>greatsword does 70

Ranged dps should always do less than melee dps

>3 bullets aren't enough to kill you but one stab to your back is

>A full swing from a grown man with a wooden club against the skull of a human being is a GUARANTEE of death.
There are no guarantees, even bullets to the head have been survived. Serious head trauma can be survived though usually with some bad consequences.

Also, that's way above .50 cal

>unarmed attacks do more damage than armed attacks

Fuck me. Poor guy.

A 50 cal would turn part of your body into aerosol......

gotta love F.E.A.R

Okay so give bullets armor penetration properties.

Exactly, which is the same impact that a battle axe or claymore have. A proper two-handed sowrd can fucking bisect you. Just like a .50 cal.

It's called gameplay balance.

the kind of vest that can stop a bullet is worthless against a dagger

>tfw black
>dude looks almost exactly like me aside from those girly eyebrows and darker skin
its an abstract kind of feel

Even if bullets couldn't penetrate a helmet, the blunt force can break your neck.

>gameplay balance
I've begun to fucking hate this word

>sniper rifles kill with one torso shot because the casual player cant figure out how to play as a sniper without a handicap
>the deadliest and most hated weapon in any game is a sniper rifle as a result
sure is fucking balance here

WOP IT OUT

>bullet wound
>cut off limb
sometimes it can do more user

Depend of the melee weapon and the gun. Also depend where its hit.

The only rifles that do that are bolt action, their weakness is that if they can't hit that first shot they're doomed.

Yes

>if they can't hit that first shot they're doomed.
Which is entirely the fault of the sniper for firing from such a position.

Cutting of limbs is harder than you think.

>takes 12 rifle bullets to kill
>arrow is instant kill

what kind of weapon cycling system should I use ?

Stopping bullets with vests is not nearly effective as stopping knives with a stab vest.

It's 12 gauge birdshot. You're definitely a eurocuck or underage

>in close quarters, the knife has the advantage

12 gauge is larger than .50 cal you silly man. And at that range the birdshot behaves like a slug.

>Needing a vest for a blade.
Just stop it with your hands you loser.

Nah, letting them get that shot is your fault. You're supposed to use movement and grenades and things to get close to them or flank them or just generally make things hard for them. It's a game of positioning. They give up the ability to function well at any position to completely dominate from a few specific positions. You just want every persons abilities to be identical like chess.

me on the left :3

Why does every sniper rifle in modern vidya need to actually be an fiddy-cawl anti-material rifle?

Is this like some realistic mannequin or what

>Gun damage is static
>Accuracy scales with Dex x STR

Depends on the weapons.

A katna for example does a lot more damage than a stupid gun. What I use is a 29.5 Dragonfly with a 12-inch tsuka with Bo-hi from Bugei. I practice tameshigiri occasionally and have invited a few folk you probably know over for small practices in proper form with a real target. My dragonfly with bo-hi has seen a few, um, shall we say, poorly aligned cuts in its time. And honestly to my surprise the blade is no worse for wear. I wouldn't use the blade on bamboo because of the edge geometry being a bit too thin for such a hard, impact target. But on mats the thing cuts like a light sabre. The bo-hi also makes it very light and fast which is critical for me. All these years of polishing hunched over has resulted in some very sore fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders. So I'm usually nursing something and I wanted a sword as light as possible. For me it is the difference between being able to practice and polish or to give up the sword completely because frankly it just hurts too much to practice with proper form. For someone who isn't quite as, well, banged up as me, the dragonfly without bo-hi is probably a better choice. They are robust enough to handle screwups and a bit heavier due to the lack of grooves. Very scant niku so they're more or less like lasers through soft targets. And still with traditional shaping and feel.

>Shot gun doesn't hurt anyone more than 3 meters away

The only game I've seen where shotguns do their job correctly is Hotline miami 1 and 2
The firepower on those things is serious stuff but it looks like there's some secret agreement in the gaming industry where shotguns instakill people from nearby and don't deal any damage over 5 mt

>A laser beam or plasma shot does less damage than a revolver bullet
I'm actually not sure if this makes sense or not

You're arguing from the position of the established FPS genre which doesn't make sense to begin with. Sniper rifles that do more damage for no reason other than "balance" are retarded, and a remnant from a time when technology was limited.

Snipers should be employed primarily against targets like officers, entrenched machineguns, crewmen peeking out of a vehicle, etc. This would be a viable class to play if machineguns were as deadly as they should be. Of course, they would also be cumbersome. Officers should also have an important role to play, like they did in BF2 for example.

Also, guns in general should be much less accurate than they are in RO2 for example, and hitpoints should be completely erased. No amount of hits to your legs will kill you instantly - and for your information, people HAVE continued to fight even with a missing arm.

The reason is the same as with OP, it's all about balance.

You must not have played cod when the dual 1887s were introduced

>mfw switching to slugs in Battlefield and nailing people with a shotgun from ages away

>Guns of the same caliber do vastly different amounts of damage.

Shotguns wouldn't do shit against someone wearing even pistol-caliber body armor, I'm not sure where this "muh realism" comes from.

Does the shotgun damage falloff have any fundament in real life or is it all vidya stuff?

>falling for the .22lr is the same thing as airsoft meme
.22 may not be as strong as other rounds, but it is by no means a weak round. A shot will still hurt you and make you bleed, and can kill you depending on where you're hit.

in terms of video games, I like when they do this

as long as they aren't babbymode where you can just charge into every single person and mash the attack button, I think it's fine
It takes away the safety that you have with your gun that you get by being able to stand at a long range.

>revolver bullet
not gay
>plasma and lasers
gay
they should do damage over time because of aids

>Springfield no scope takes 5 body shots to kill
>Springfield with scope takes 1 body shot to kill
Fucking cod2
Someone explain this

>less critical damage multipliers.
a slash across the body has more chances to nip important bits like arteries than a single shot has right?

.22s also bounce around in peoples bodies upon entering and just spin causing massive amounts of damage to organs if hit in the body cavity

Sleep tight, baby Baba

Battlefield is good about shotguns, and has multiple ammo types if you aren't satisfied with buckshot.

>video game isn't realistic

A different thing than a clean bullet hole. As in, one exists and the other doesn't. Let's get out of this semantic rabbit hole and move on.

I want you to be serious so I can be angry that you just said a single thing can outweigh an infinite amount of things.

>a tiny 1cm diameter hole from a bullet is less lethal than a sword cutting your entire upper body in half

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
YEE BOI

>Arm is severed instead of cut by sword
>Arm is only grazed instead of blown off by bullet

You guys are really bad at accurately comparing things. Or at being funny. Whichever one you decide it was.

The damage dropoff could be explained IRL by the shot spreading as it travels towards the target. Google search "Buckshot at (x) yards" and you'll see how far the shot will spread.

What? Of course they do or you haven't been shot. Seriously what?

You said it's more efficient for someone to get in range and kill you with a sword vs a gun? You're going to have to explain that one.

I'm thoroughly convinced that 99% of you in this thread know nothing about anatomy.

>bullets only leave a tiny 1cm diameter hole when you get shot

boi...
youtu.be/Dr7dpEDNNC4?t=41s

>Moreover, a bullet through the face does not knock a man out

What the fuck is this thread

>Melee do more damage than guns
>Combat always take place over such a short distance that its possible to always close the gap and be perma melee

Story can't end there homie, there must be more, right?

t. kid who doesn't know anything about bullet design and physics

>the blood thing

are you talking about Bloodborne ? Because it's totally justified in it, in order to have your bullet do more damage to your ennemy the player puts his cursed blood inside the bullets

Upping your blood stats make your blood either more tainted or less tainted i don't remember which , and it fucks with the cursed blood of your enemies

>A full swing from a grown man with a wooden club against the skull of a human being is a GUARANTEE of death.
Only if
1. Man is trained at attacking with a clun, so he reaches 2000+N of force
2. Its a clean hit
Even then, all its going to do, is maim and cause brain damage.

It makes sense in a game with RPG elements. The number increase represent actual strength which eventually achieves super human levels, and eventually that person is going to be swinging his sword with more force than a gun shot, which is always the same regardless of the user's abilities. It also makes sense when swords are charged with any sort of energy or magical properties. Master sword > gun, for example.

It's far better for the bullet to be stuck in the body than penetrate all the way through. That's what hollow points were created for.

>series
>accidents
user, you must know the truth.

topkek

>Someone who knows nothing about guns: The post

>Boar hunting

Unless he shot you in the fucking toe, this is straight up bullshit.

>Far better

In what regard? If you mean for the person shot, then kill yourself.

You're retarded.

>23" blade does more damage than 0.2 inch bullet

Gee, what a surprise.

There's a reason armor made swords obsolete but guns made armor obsolete

>the melee weapon also fires a bullet

The helmets soldiers wear can.

Armor didn't make swords obsolete they just adapted a more needle like shape.

hitting head with club does not make skull collapse, you moron. it can shatter some bones, but not collapse. gun makes a nasty exit wount trough.
by your words it's more deadly to be hit by bat than shot in the head

>fantasy game has laser guns later on
>they're OP and fun to use

In Fallout: New Vegas you can use any gun whenever you want, but if your requisite stat (i.e: energy weapons, guns) was less than the one required by the weapon you would do less damage and have way shittier aim iirc. The same also applied to things like heavy weapons; if you tried to use an anti-material rifle without enough STR aiming down sights made you sway like a drunkard.

>it can shatter some bones, but not collapse
I know it's a shitty source to cite, but Deadliest Warrior examined this shit a lot. Plenty of striking weapons can cause a full skull cave-in.

Depends on the gun and the melee weapon. The chief advantage of projectiles is their reach. Shooting a guy with a normal pistol round point-blank will go straight through them and leaving a small, immediately-sealed hole with little tissue damage. Doing anything with a knife, spear, mace etc. would way outclass that in pain, debilitation and life risk.

DYK: People don't fall over unless they know they've been shot, as they've seen it in the movies and think that's what you're meant to do. Before movies popularised the notion, people who got shot would just leap and run away or take cover.

A melee weapon impacts much more force to you than a bullet. A bullet is more concentrated application of force and works very differently. Shoot someone in the leg and if you don't hit bone it might do almost nothing. Hit someone in the leg with a sword or even a baseball bat and you're going to fuck him up.

In an unrealistic game, melee weapons can sweep and hit multiple enemies at once, or thrust through a whole line. Projectiles by contrast are hitscan and only hurt one target at a time.

Why not both. You need both coordination and recoil-compensation to control a gun.

Which is why fantasy series should have bullets made of magic, impossibly hard and heavy materials backed up with super-concentrated explosives and guns made of other impossible, hard, heavy materials. These weapons can only be used by super strong characters, ergo scaling.

Swords were pretty solidly relegated to pistol-esque backup and social weapon by plate armour. You used a polearm (rifle equivalent) for any kind of damage dealing.

>A bomb's a bad choice for close range combat

That's just an accuracy bonus. Or maybe a chance for a combo.

Bioshock 1+2 I mostly used the wrench/drill.

>what is balancing

Getting hit by a scimitar like this would hurt more than a bullet

INSURGENCYYYYYY

Orel why are you on Cred Forums?

Tell that to the Gears of War series.

Is called balance, make a game with guns and melee, make it realistic and everyone will always choose guns, because why risk getting shot to the face to swing whatever stick you have when you can do the same? And then you'll realize that all your work into coding the melee weapons was for nothing, as it you shouldn't have bothered to begin with.

>A fully automatic weapon should be less DPS than a sword or club
lol

Shotguns most definitely have spread IRL, so they do have a "drop off", but games almost always over-do it.

>melee rapier rapes entire team

>scimitar
u wut m8

It's one of those abstractions games have for the sake of balance/fun. Like how eating food cures wounds, or how plate armour is heavier than chainmail in exchange for offering more protection, when in real life plate armour is both lighter and stronger than chain.

>I'm a retard
Gee, what a surprise.

Marksman hunters are pretty much the top DPS at the moment