Anyone here actually work in the tech industry with games?

Anyone here actually work in the tech industry with games?

What happens when this get's posted in Cred Forums?

Im a 1MA indie dev at my company, Mommies Basement

>Geek

I absolutely loathe this word. It's even worse than "nerd"

i want both of these types of people to disappear forever

I wish tech startups would disappear forever.

>Silicon Valley Geek
>nu-male faggot

>Seattle Geek
>nu-male faggot

Really makes me think.

>Agressive
>Passive agressive

What?

Shouldn't the Silicon Valley Geek have an iPad to go with his iPhone?

Both of these kinds of people shouldn't exist

Why anyone would want to wear those?

I know someone that wore those. For reference he is in college for an "art degree", and his most well-received art is literally a bunch of crayons he stuck to a piece of paper and half-melted.

California are communist faggots; Seattle Geeks are tolerable depending on their exact tastes.

Seattle is a nice enough place. Everyone is too full of themselves but at least the food is good and the weather is pleasant. If it cost exactly a fifth of what it costs now to live there, I could enjoy myself in that city.

>both are numales
More similar than they thought

>his most well-received art is literally a bunch of crayons he stuck to a piece of paper and half-melted.

I would see some ex-military guy walk around on campus with those.

Two sides of the same coin

Fellow Seattlefag! And no, not working on any games companies

Your such a geek, nerd!

Is there any money to be made in the art biz?
I wouldn't mind getting rich and famous by just smearing shit on a piece of paper and calling it a beautiful work of art.

i'm single-handedly bringing back "dweeb"

I'm a fan of "dork" myself

I see the pain in those eyes.

Numale: the image.

only if you know some mafia scumbag that need fast to laundry money

Man the money laundering in art is really intricate. How would a commoner get into this?

Literally out of college now and trying to find a job in the games industry.

Probalby not programming though, more like modeling/animation shit.

Not sure where to really start though. Heard too many horror stories about basically all game companies.

>he fell for the gane developing meme
You WILL become a numale. Should have fell for the STEM meme or even medicine

But I'm a fat faggot that shits around on Cred Forums all day.

How would I become a nu-male from just modeling shit?

I really am not worried about that shit. Did co-op work with a crazy christian place and was able to toe the line just fine without getting anyone mad or drinking any cool-aid. Should be the same with social justice faggots

Do you see them often? How can you bear to be in their company? What happens when they invite you to stuff

Fuck off, shovelchin.

Christians or nu-males?
In both cases, I just let it flow really. Don't bother calling out bullshit and let them believe whatever dumb shit they want. Generally just avoid confrontation.
Knowing how to feign interest/support is a pretty useful skill.

>invite you to stuff
HA. What part of faggot shitting around on Cred Forums all day implied that I do social things?
I'd probably just go and be really quiet/awkward.

theyre comfy as fuck and help you balance on uneven rocky terrain.

correction: those people are faggot hipsters. Not "geeks"

JESUS FUCK SMOOTH OUT THOSE NORMALS.

Also ART makes rigging obsolete.

It's a fedora for your feet honestly.

It was a creature made for a Unity game in one of my classes like 2 years ago.
Of course we gave it smooth normals with the actual in game texture.
Don't know what the fuck happened to the hand's normals though. Wasn't actually in charge of any texturing in the project.

Looks similar to something I created for the game my company was working on a while ago. In general, expect a lot of crunch and low pay in most companies. Seen a lot of people in the industry loose a lot of the enthusiasm they once had over the years.

>That fucking image

>low pay
This is the one I've been kinda hung up on.
College debt and all that.
I was looking through Glassdoor at different salaries, and it seemed like most of them were around the 50,000 mark.

Is that a realistic expectation for a starting position or will it be way lower?
I've heard it is stupid expensive to live in California, so I'd think they'd need a high starting salary.

If you're such a great coder, why don't you crash Cred Forums with no survivors?

>Seattle is a nice enough place.

No it fucking isn't. There's fucking aggressive drugged-out homeless people all over the place, there's entire tent cities staked out under the dirty, aged highway system (which are also covered with graffiti from the Usual Suspects), rent is high as fuck compared to the average income and I can't get into a single fucking store without getting hassled outside of it.

It's a fucking dump and it needs a mayor with balls to whip the progressives into line.

>Seattle is a nice enough place.

I wouldn't call a place where homeless people shit all over the parks a 'nice place'.

They have a fucking syringe drop box in the bathrooms at Target for the drug addicts that infest it. Does that sound like a place you'd want to raise a kid?

This, however I live in Snohomish so I'm pretty okay from all of that. I still fucking love it here and I'd never move back to AZ.

>Anyone here actually work in the tech industry with games?

Let me give you some sage advice; just move to Texas or Tennessee. You'll actually be able to buy a house and the local government won't be retarded.

You're still under Uncle Sam's thumb.
Most foreigners in places that you'd actually want to live speak English these days.

I'm not based in the US so it's likely different here in the UK. The hardest part is actually finding the job if you don't have any experience, (unless you have a portfolio worthy of a VFX studio like MPC or Double negative). I know people that have been looking for 2-3 years before they got in somewhere, and a whole lot of people that didn't at all. Also, don't expect to get more than someone working in a local supermarket when starting. Will get better eventually but this isn't the kind of job you want if you dream of being rich. Also, sure you know this, but never work for free. Seems obvious but I know plenty of people that do this in the hopes of getting a share of the profits later only to be screwed over.

Worth it when you get to go to E3 though.

>Most foreigners in places that you'd actually want to live speak English these days.

Let's clarify-- are we talking about 'foreigners' as in 'People that have come to the US to work and are fairly personable and also fairly intelligent' or 'foreigners' as in 'Fucking scum that the government allowed in for some reason who make their women walk around dressed up in tablecloths who sponge money/benefits'?

Because I'm okay with the first set as long as they're not Chinese.

>and the local government won't be retarded
Texan here. Our local government is fucking retarded, or at least our state government. I live in San Antonio and our city government is fine.

I mean people in foreign countries. Specifically Europeans and slants, unless you want to live among brown people for some reason.

Getting a job in the tech industry is 50% experience/talent and 50% who you know.

Start making friends and make sure you're cultivating the correct image online and in person. You need to learn how to, for lack of a better word, charm people into remembering you when a job comes open. You do that by building a portfolio of your work and being a charming person.

Talent = Nepotism > Degree

Christians are basically nu-males at this point anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, my portfolio is really kinda shit currently. Kinda hoping my Master's degree (science in digital media) help some there.
Been to GDC before, but didn't make any strong connections there so that's gonna be troublesome.

If I can find the people, I should be good for kissing ass though. I have trouble reaching out to people, but when I do I usually hit things off well.
Could always try to talk with some of my peers from undergrad/graduate program that I know got into big places.
I think one of them got hired by Riot right out of college.

In Seattle, they're trying to make it illegal to remove homeless encampments, want to make drug injection zones throughout the city, and are enacting a law next year that you have to rent your place to the first tenant that meets your qualifications, regardless of your personal preference.

They've also let BLM/an anarchist group shutdown the Christmas tree lighting ceremony in the city two years running. Last time I watched them scream in a little kid's face and make him cry while a cop just watched.

Seattle is the king of retarded governance.

Spice up that portfolio, start writing and commenting where the connected people hang out, network and touch base with the people at your school, make sure you can finesse the truth convincingly, get a flattering haircut and a few good sets of 'business casual' clothes and you'll be ready.

Good luck!

silicon valley geek seems like a fun guy to have beers with, don't talk shit on him.

Yeah that's more city government, and I agree those are fucking retarded.

>want to make drug injection zones throughout the city, and are enacting a law next year that you have to rent your place to the first tenant that meets your qualifications, regardless of your personal preference.
Though these are probably the least retarded things on here. At least with drug injection zones you reduce the amount of people overdosing or getting aids and shit from unsanitary practices, and the latter ensures someone doesn't just reject a tenant because of some retarded shit that's not part of the qualifications.

I didn't do masters myself but I don't think it really helped with the people I knew who did. A friend I knew just gave up entirely after her masters, moved to Japan and taught english.

makes a good point in that you need to really force yourself to meet the right people. Game devs in general are usually not the social type so it can be tricky but it helps if you know the right people. Also, if you're an artist, make sure your portfolio is hot shit. Posting on the right communities (like Polycount or tenthousand hours) will also help get you noticed.

>tfw moving to Seattle for job in a couple of weeks.

Comfy weather incoming

if i had the chance id knock out whoever designed, wrote and put together this infographic

Eh.

Both perfectly exemplify everything that is currently wrong with America.

If they can champion the my body, my choice movement, why can't property owners have my apartment, my choice?

Better than this 95+ Degree + Humidty shit daily that North Carolina has, been here for 24 years too long.

I moved from the south to seattle recently. Prepare yourself to not have an air conditioner. Prepare for the absolute worst traffic.

Well yeah city traffic is always bad, I've lived in Charlotte. That's why Public transporation is king in cities.

Where did you move in Seattle user?

>fedoras are the head fedoras
>vapes are the mouth fedoras
>fivefingers are the feet fedoras
In a while we'll be able to build Fedoraman.

I briefly worked as a contractor for EA, in tech, not directly making games.

why?

If someone meets every requirement of tenancy, there shouldn't be a reason they can reject them for some unwritten arbitrary "requirement". If you don't want certain types of people living with you, put it in the requirements. And if you want to reject someone just because you feel like you can jew over the next guy for more money, then fuck you.

Then again, I'm a bit biased since I've had to deal with some fucking horrible landlords. Feels like most of them only want to jew you over.

There's some speg who wears these to work everyday. He also wears the scorpion jacket from drive.

>the latter ensures someone doesn't just reject a tenant because of some retarded shit that's not part of the qualifications.
sure, but say you're a landlord and can choose between someone who meets all of your qualifications, and someone who meets all of the qualifications and then exceeds them tenfold. The first guy does drugs and has a criminal record, the 2nd guy only uses caffeine and got a speeding ticket in high school. But the first guy showed up first so you have to rent to him, and 9 months later he has to move out while the guy you had to turn down got an apartment at your competitor's place instead where he'll live for 5 years.

but that's illegal, you can't write in a listing that you don't want niggers. You just don't hire any.

North side.

The traffic is unreal up here.

They look ideal for coasteering

I'd use them

Well, I was looking toward Belltown neightborhod since I have a job with the city government. Though anyplace with
A) No Blacks
B) Few Homeless will be A'Okay

Then put down that you don't want anyone with a criminal record or drug use in the requirements. Sort of makes it hard for anyone trying to get clean to get a place to live, but they probably would have been rejected anyway.

There are basically just asians and natives up here. Belltown is okay, but I try to avoid the city. I'm an art guy.

What about the homeless issue?

>live just outside Portland
>weather is great, lots of trees, rivers and mountains nearby
>finally meeting some people who are in the business of what I went to school with even though I'm NEET
>life is good other than the place is flooded with hipster fags like OP's pic

Feels like I'm living in a hive of degeneracy. Why is the west coast so goddamn liberal? It's sickening.

I SUMMON

FEDORA THE FORBIDDEN ONE

Most of them are homeless because they want to be and there's no punishment. They're modern hippies. The ones that bother people are either legit crazy or milking the "homeless" thing to tourists. Never give anyone anything. After about a month you'll forget they even exist.

>If someone meets every requirement of tenancy, there shouldn't be a reason they can reject them for some unwritten arbitrary "requirement".
Yeah you can if it's your property.

Righto, will do. Appreciated user, Any other tips

Yeah. Avoid bbq altogether. Being from the south, there is just disappointment in the entire Seattle area. I work at a glass factory, so I'm blessed with the space to use a smoker. Pork is still crazy expensive, and beef is even crazier. Learn to love salmon.

One fucking injection site you transplant whore. Go the fuck back to Racine.

Go back.

This simply isn't true.

implying

Vancouver is better. Canada is simply better. It's like America but all of our problems are simply... less. Because there's less of us. So of course Vancouver is basically just Seattle but with a manageable level of homelessness and less crime.

Daily reminder that those "nu-males" are more successful than just about every miserable excuse for a human on this board. They're rich and if you don't think that's all you need to get a trophy waifu you don't know shit about the world.

But you have a numale as a leader so that objectively makes you worse off.

He's not Harper and he's going to legalize my weed. I'm happy enough.

I do. Got an internship last summer, and just graduated from a game school; hired right out of school.

Makin 82k before taxes and living with my gf. Life is pretty good.