PS3 owners to get either $9 or $55 in settlement

So Sony is settling a class action suit over the removal of the OtherOS feature in firmware updates that were required to play online/play newer games. When the settlement is approved, you can get cash from sony

>$9 if you claim that one of the reasons you purchased a PS3 was Linux, without providing proof
>$55 if you claim that you DID install Linux and provide some sort of proof (boot into it, screenshot of the partition on your PS3 hard drive, complaint to sony about its removal before the suit was filed, etc.)

Who else /fiftyfivedollarydoos/?

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/youre-a-step-closer-to-getting-55-from-the-ps3-linux-debacle-lawsuit/

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/sonydetails.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My first PS3 died from YLOD so I can't boot it, what should I do?

>$55
>must attest under oath

I'm glad that the lawyers got their paycheck

Did you have Linux on it? You will need the serial number of the console, a PSN ID, and one of the following

>SCEA will pay $55 to each Class member who utilized the Other OS functionality (“Consumer Class A”) and submits a valid claim. Id. at ¶ 68(A). Consumer Class A claimants must attest under oath to their purchase of the product and installation of Linux, provide proof of their purchase or serial number and PlayStation Network Sign-in ID, and submit some proof of their use of the Other OS functionality. The Settlement Agreement sets forth a list of acceptable proof of use. Id. at ¶ 68(A)(1)-(2)
>SCEA will pay $9.00 to each Class member who, at the time of purchase, knew about the Other OS, relied upon the Other OS functionality, and intended to use the Other OS functionality (“Consumer Class B”) and submits a valid claim

For the $55, you must prove any *one* of the following:
arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/sonydetails.pdf
>Proof of paying for a Linux variant or downloading one for Linux before April 1st, 2010. Example: Pictures of CDs, receipts, etc.
>Screenshot of the console operating Linux
>screenshot of the hard drive partition
>Communications to Sony Computer Entertainment Ameria about the removal of OtherOS prior to December 31st, 2010
>some other form of proof that shows you used otheros before April 1st 2010 (to be reviewed by the claims administrator on a case by case basis).

If you have any other proof that you used OtherOS before the class action you can submit it and see if you get approved. Otherwise you'll get a claim for $9 instead.

>Those eligible for a cash payment of either $9 or $55 are "all persons in the United States who purchased a Fat PS3 model in the United States between November 1, 2006, and April 1, 2010."

Fug I was hoping I could get a free $9

>tfw ylod'ed PS3 that didn't bother fixing still has linux on the hard drive

How you gonna prove it though?

so how the fuck do i get my free $9

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a desktop PC, take a screenshot of the partitions, and claim under category F?

Sony will send you an email once the settlement is fully approved with details on how to claim.

He could send the hard drive to them.

I have a fat ps3 but it's updated to the latest firmware (I think) ho do I get my fiddyfive dollers?

Submit proof of having previously installed Linux as documented in once the claim is approved.

>Boot yellow dog linux in a virtual machine
>boot ps3
>make it look like they're on together
>take picture
>???
>literal profit

Any ways I can bullshit my way into 55$? My psn was made before 2010

This
I have a fat ps3 don't know what firmware but got it when it first launched, I can provide them the serial but I can't give them proof of purchase or proof of previously installing linux

see

Can I get away with this using a slim? I know the slim never supported linux but I want my neetbux.

>$55
No.
>$9
Probably.

DEVLISH

Can I get the $9 if I bought the PS3 Slim?

No, since the Slim never supported installing Linux, you're ineligible.

They ask for either proof of purchase of a fat PS3, or a serial number. Either would tell them that you bought a slim, which never supported linux.

i have a fat ps3 hidden in my closet
serial number should still be readable
so I just wait and see if I get an email?

Why settle for $9?

Just get welfare like the rest of the entitled niggers.

can i claim it as a britbong?

Is this 2010 again?