Are you getting the worst entry in the best shmup series on Steam this fall?

Are you getting the worst entry in the best shmup series on Steam this fall?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-anGJC6__9I
youtube.com/watch?v=G6R4BZ-Bl6o
steamspy.com/app/407380
youtube.com/watch?v=hSYMMopJSmY
twitter.com/degigames/status/765248624938713089
youtube.com/watch?v=xss2CZv5QTM
youtube.com/watch?v=TEYp1R9HeZc
youtube.com/watch?v=MPQIAE4CB8A
youtube.com/watch?v=iTb0FEaqsv4
youtube.com/watch?v=wO_Btv1ZpBI
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-07-04/touhou-project-linked-trademarks-upheld-for-non-creator
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Donpachi with anime girls
WHY
H
Y

Blame 2hu.

I'll buy it to support cave but this is just abominable. Donpachi used to be so manly

I'll consider it.

I know it's shit but I'll buy it anyway in hopes of future ports.

It's sad because DOJ had anime girls too but it was done tastefully and the game was still really dark and serious.

youtube.com/watch?v=-anGJC6__9I

I don't know how we went from that to this in just one iteration.

>resurrection
>shit
you meme loving fucks

Video games aren't manly in any situation

>Resurrection
>Shit

Do you ever tire of being wrong all the time?

Is it so hard to release the Cave Collection disc on PC?

wasn't this on 360 a longass time ago?

>squeaky anime girl mecha bosses
>more canceling than dodging
>no power ups
>good

>Best shmup series
>Not Mushihime-sama

Post music by based Namiki. youtube.com/watch?v=G6R4BZ-Bl6o

Even worst Dodonpachi is still good/great.
Don't. Buy it if you think you'd enjoy it but supporting Cave now is pointless. The 2 key guys behind Donpachi already left and the company is now focused on making mobile garbage.

Not him, but the idea is the show support so they continue to port other and better games.

I'm feeling like playing a new shmup, any recommendations?
Already played the touhou series, ikaruga, crimson clover, the one with the bug and impossible last boss.
Is the raiden series good

Ah if that's the case then he should go ahead. I thought that by "supporting them" he meant that he cares about the company itself and wanted it to do well.

yes its good

You do know the animus are the bosses and you are flying a manly fighter and blow them up, right?

maybe pick up an Astro port game, they're all really cheap and a fun time

>Is the raiden series good
The Raiden series is great aside from 3, which isn't awful but just doesn't stand out as much as the others. It's kind of a traditional shmup series compared to the ones you've played though, less on the danmaku side of things. Fewer but faster bullets, bigger hitbox, etc.

II has some of the best sprite art and explosion juice in all of vidya and IV is just an all around good game.

If you want something more akin to what you've played checkout Dodonpachi Daioujou, it's considered by many to be the pinnacle of the genre and it emulates really well.

>not Resurrection
You can leave now though.

Power ups are shit and always have been.

>Get powerups at a steady pace during the game
>Meanwhile enemies also get stronger at the same rate

>When you die you can pick the scattered powerups again
Powerups are literally and illusion, giving you max power right from the start and having enemies be appropriately strong works just as well.

or

>Lose all powerups upong death
>Can literally kill nothing now fast enough to not die
>Might as well reset the game even though you still have lives

The only powerup system that makes any sense is one where there are multiple weapon types but most of the time if you have like blue lvl 3 and pick red you are then red lvl 1 so powerups become hazards and it's shit as well.

tl;dr the only good powerups system is multicolor without drop in levels from changing types

All I remember of the raiden games is playing them at the arcades when I was a kid
Thanks I will check them out

Isn't Saidaioujou the worst? Daifukkatsu may have anime robots as bosses but they barely speak while from what I've seen SDOJ has constant moeblob squealing in the background while you play.

Wishlisted, thanks for the mention. I've been waiting for this one to arrive.

>Worst entry

You've already forgotten that DoDonPachi 2 exists?

>When you die you can pick the scattered powerups again
>or
>Lose all powerups upong death
>Can literally kill nothing now fast enough to not die
Not all of the power you have drops. You're not at zero, but you're not as powerful as you were. It's another layer of punishment for dying, and it adds a satisfying "ramping up" feeling to the game because being at low power with enemies balanced for that power level plays very differently than being at max power with enemies balanced around it.

To be fair in the recent games prior to DFK Cave streamlined powerups to the point where they practically might as well not exist anyways, but when implemented properly it's a great system and stripping it out takes a lot out of the game.

>not made by CAVE
>not canon
>implying that counts

I just want Deathsmiles II god damnit.

The music in black label is the best in the series.

Is it wrong that I can't help but play as the naked faerie whenever I play Raiden IV?

Strania
>so they continue to port other and better games.
This is the point

Just pick Raiden IV. It's pretty much a combination of Raiden II and III with a god-tier soundtrack.

I'm going to assume there won't be any more after this. Sales for mushi seemed alright but for deathsmiles they were pretty bad.

That and something happened at Degica and the previous guy doing the PR for shmups suddenly left and the new guy is doing a piss poor job.

What's wrong with that?

They don't have to sell a lot because they are publishing it themselves. Don't need to worry about distribution.

>Sales for mushi seemed alright but for deathsmiles they were pretty bad

I haven't bought deathsmiles yet

shit, I just didn't want to keep dumping that much money on shmups after I bought mushihimesama at launch. I feel bad now.

>They don't have to sell a lot
The idea isn't to simply break even, it is to make a hefty profit. If the profit isn't there or is somewhere else there will not be any further games. Period. They're not a charity.

Want something really sad? Look at G.Rev's foray into Steam: steamspy.com/app/407380

and they still make money with not a lot of copies sold since the overhead in porting these games isn't a lot. Not like Shipping, pressing and getting your game to stores in physical boxes. Believe it or not they are making money with only a few thousand sold.

Have you not played a CAVE game since 2002?

oh jesus, I feel fucking shit whenever I see some naive japanese company bring a game over to steam and it flops hard

Shit, I'd be buying these games if I had a machine to play them on.

On steamspy it was well under 10k for the first few weeks and after a sale it's only sitting at 12k (± 2,873)

Assuming every copy sold at full price, which it didn't due to launch sale price & sites like Nuuvem had it up for sale a week later for 75% of the price before they completely locked down the store, it made around $173,345.284 after valves 30% cut. Then take into account how Degica & CAVE split profits which we don't know anything about, then also take into account various currencies converting to USD/YEN.

Obviously this is all speculation based on numbers which aren't concrete but CAVE only signed up to do 3 games initially and they would have to decide if the time spent is worth that kind of return. The work with Deathsmiles isn't even over yet since there's slowdown issues with the PC version where it's completely missing at parts.

I hope they do continue to release games on PC and I've bought the majority of shmups on steam on release to support it but yeah it doesn't look good from where I'm sitting.

Also everyone buy ESCHATOS

Go to PCPartPicker and build a PC dickwad. Dont fall for the gay Cred Forums shot cause youll end up with high-cost low-value shit.

You dont need a case that glows 14 different shades of every color and cools your CPU to -400 kelvin. You dont need an $80 glowing wireless mouse. You dont need a 1080.

You can play 99% of the shmups on steam with a toaster.

What the fuck are you posting from right now?

a $100 thinkpad running alpine linux
it's literally my most valuable possession

I'm pretty sure all shmups are toaster friendly, m8

>some naive japanese company
The worst part is they aren't just "some company" G.rev is sort of legendary but on the level of CAVE. They haven't created released anything since Strania but at least they've been contracted out to do the upcoming DariusBurst ChronicleSaviors DLCs. I'm happy they still exist on some level and are getting paid.

This. I'm doing just fine with an i5-3470, GTX 960, and 8GB of RAM. Having no real problems at 1080p.

Am thinking of upgrading processor and RAM next year though.

175k in pure profit . Because you know they had like a team of like 3-5 people working on the port. That is a shit load of money for pure profit.

>but on the level of CAVE
but not on the level of CAVE I wanted to say

I struggled to play crimzon clover on the library computers at worst settings

>3-5 people working on the port
They don't work for free, neither does the PR team, and Steam takes a cut too.

PR team... that is like the one dude on their twitter. They don't have a PR team.

Even assuming 5 people, 175k/5.0 is 35k.
That's insane. I don't envy these people at all.

and you think the people working on the port are full time workers.

Doesn't G.rev only have like 3 people at the company now? I hope they get around to releasing Under Defeat on steam. My PS3 copy will do for now.

It's not 175k in pure profit. You're still offsetting that with the cost of development time and whatever Degica take as a cut. Even if 3-5 people worked on it you have to take into account the value proposition of those people.

Could they have made more money working on something else?

Businesses, especially videogame companies, don't just look at the revenue made and think "oh cool man look 175k" it's the time spent versus the return.

Degica are handling their operation outside of development so they're being paid something. They margins for these games are incredibly low which won't effect Degica much since they've got other shit but other than Mahou Otome, what the fuck do CAVE have going on?

>what the fuck do CAVE have going on?
Presumably they're getting paid so DBCS can have CAVE's intellectual property in the game. CAVE isn't even doing the work though, and neither is TAITO. G.rev is. Other than that? Absolutely nothing going on as far as the public knows.

There has to at least be 2 or 3. I realize that they probably work on multiple projects throughout the year, but there's no way they can be doing, say, 5 games simultaneously.

I'll get it like I've gotten and enjoyed Cave's other Steam releases. Deathsmiles turned out to be a total surprise in how much I liked it. Maybe it being a beatable Cave game had something to do with it.

In other news
>even MORE DBCS dlc

Christ I love the game please actually make some new bosses this time; playing the same 30 stages 1000x with different ships gets a little fatiguing.

>Deathsmiles turned out to be a total surprise in how much I liked it.
The anime girls is a massive red flag for me. Is the game actually good?

>bullet hell
Utterly fucking disgusting.

>moeshit bullet hell
Truly the lowest of the low.

>Danmaku
No thanks.

hi neo Cred Forums!

>Am thinking of upgrading processor and RAM next year though.
Do you do stuff like rendering a lot?
If yes, then go for CPU + RAM (and SSD).

But for gaming, your CPU won't even bottleneck SLI 1080s.

Stay butthurt.

The little anime girl shit doesn't overshadow the game in any way. The most you'll see of it is during one very small dialogue scene in the middle and then in one of the two endings the game has.

Even with DDP DFK, people are massively over exaggerating how it's "moeshit". The bosses are transforming female robots, that's about it.

You're an animu too fag.

>all criticism boils down to aesthetics
Jesus do you faggots even play these games or do you judge them solely on the most surface level shit? I'd want to know what actually makes it bad.

>Maybe it being a beatable Cave game had something to do with it.
Mushihimesama is beatable! I 1cc'd it for the first time a few days ago.

>Jesus do you faggots even play games or do you judge them solely on the most surface level shit?
Welcome to Cred Forums

who do you main

Then you hear that it took 1 million to make dragon's crown.

Just wondering, but what do you usually play games on?

The girly art is a slight turnoff in the victory screens in between each level... but you see those for maybe a grand total of 30 seconds in a playthrough?

The character sprites themselves are small and don't draw undue attention to themselves, and the rest of the game is thoroughly in the Gothic Horror mold, though a *few* of the pre-rendered sprites (not pic related) don't look all that hot (looking at you Giant Cow).

Game plays great though; it might be worth watching a few scrubplays to get a feel for how you'd go about playing the game.

Nothing I just watch youtube lets plays

the furthest I've gotten is stage 5. Stage 3 really fucks me over with dumb deaths despite beating it countless times (and getting the hidden 1UP as well).

Deathsmiles bends over backwards for scrubs like me with its 2up at the penultimate boss fight (as long as you don't use bombs). I won't complain!

heli is best shot type

Isn't that Saidaioujou shit

They just revealed the pilotes there

Yes because I slurp even CAVE's shit.

yes, which makes that post's ignorance even funnier.

Though, SDOJ goes overboard with the constant Japanese screeching in the background. Especially story mode.

I'm conflicted in that I want to play the game, but I really don't want to deal with all that cringey stuff while doing so.

TAITO/Pyramid did it right hiding all that stuff away. I bet more than half the players don't even know that Dariusburst has a loli as one of its main pilots (on top of the 500000 other ships they added in the meantime).

Blame weebtrash that eats anything with cute girls right up.

No, porting PPC to x86 isn't hard.

But whoever's running Cave's corpse these days has to milk it piecemeal.

>3DPD
eww

user said "toaster", not "potato".

>mad cuz bad

can't imagine working for peanuts over at vanillaware
still have some dignity as an artist/dev

B
Kimonos are so hot

What, is Darius 1 going to steam?

I bought the Steam versions of Mushihimesama and Deathsmiles and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Daifukkatsu's cast aesthetics are not as attractive to me (they look like super generic schoolgirls, which would be okay in my book if the drawing style wasn't so bland) but i had fun with the original DDP and DOJ when i played them time ago so i'm willing to buy this too.

That said, the game i wish i could purchase on Steam the most will probably never be released ;_;

>Cave left arcades before the japanese むちむち/THICC boom started
It's not fair.

I was hoping for an announcement of their next steam release during last night's stream.

You mean DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu Black Label Arrange with the Ketsui ship wasn't awesome?

Nope, you're gonna get more Dariusburst DLC and you're gonna like it

I ALREADY LIKE IT
CAN WE STOP NOW

Are there any shmups with AI 2P like Sai Dai Ou Jou?

Deathsmiles
Muchi Muchi Pork
RayForce
youtube.com/watch?v=hSYMMopJSmY

>DDP finally shows up on steam
>everyone complains

tfw R-TYPE won the poll, but we're getting cave dlc because degica

I'M FEELING THE DAIFUKKATSU MEH

FUCK

DODO
AND
PATCHY:
DIE
FUCK
CATS

I sure do love cancelling everything before I can dodge it

>Cave left arcades before the japanese むちむち/THICC boom started
Sadly Muchi Muchi Pork! came way too early.

If only it had come 3 or 4 years ago instead it might have raised a lot more interest in Japan and would've fulfilled its intent of bringing more new players into the genre.

It was a better game than based DFK for sure

but i doubt theyd include it w/ the steam version, i had to buy a full $60 game again just for that mode

My good user

twitter.com/degigames/status/765248624938713089

DOJ was awesome. It's a shame I can't git gud.

Oh you.

>moeshit

Ya but that was more in style to the game other than it being shoe horned in to get that crowd that will buy a 200 dollar plastic statue.

I want to cum on her forehead

>best shmup

you 2hu faggots ruined this genre

>This will never get ported
JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP SENPAI

>shmup thread
>more than half the images are Cred Forums-trash

fuck all of you.

;)

Here's your (You)

Shmups were never strangers to bishoujo

Best CAVE shmup coming through

THIS NIGGA

Weebshit.

Fujos pls

Steam when? I sold my 360 a long-ass time ago so I just have this sitting in its case for years.

Daily reminder that CAVE sold apple juice or some shit marketed as the piss from the girls of Deathsmiles.That's the CAVE audience lads.

Alltynex trilogy and Suguri series

Possibly next. That and DSII are pretty much guaranteed to come.

They know their niches.

I bet the jap arcadegoers were like "WHY ARE THEY FAT PIGS? REEEEEEEEEEEE!" back then, just to begin appreciating thick a few years later. I wonder how they'd react now.

trash ruining MY video games board AND. MY video game industry.

Best one already had them.

hi neogaf

What a glorious time to be alive.

Let's not kid ourselves.
The only real best seller that would have us all tearing up the leaderboards on Steam is Dangun Feveron
youtube.com/watch?v=xss2CZv5QTM

>wanna own a legit copy of MMP
>see this

I'd rather buy 4 copies on Steam and gift 3 of them to my friends plus supporting Cave and Degica than giving my money to a random online scalper.

>he didn't invest in an Xbox 360

>All of those neat backgrounds Mushihimesama has of Reco
>Not a single one of the steam profile backgrounds is like that

Ye, I have it.

I think the last American arcade closed around then.

user please

youtube.com/watch?v=TEYp1R9HeZc

>Games are called "Shooting games"
>"Shooters" for short
>then Britain comes along
>Oi! This makes too much sense for my liking! Let's call them "SHOOT-THEM-UPS"
>and "SHMUPS" for short!

>>Games are called "Shooting games"
You mean like Call of Duty?

youtube.com/watch?v=MPQIAE4CB8A

That's an FPS. Before Britain got its gross hands on the internet, they were just called shooters or shooting games by the civilized world.

>you'll never boot Steam and launch yourself into a colorful world filled with pork
>you'll never pork Momo

youtube.com/watch?v=iTb0FEaqsv4

They haven't forgotten.

Gee I wonder which one came first, first person shooters or shoot 'em up shooters

>Oi, dat game is as fun and challenging as any Beat-Em-Up it is it is
>Let's all call it a.... "Shoot-Em-Up" then, shall we?
>No! It's a STG, short for ShooTingGame. I should know, my aunt works at Toaplan
>Oh, shat up Tim, next you'll be ranting on about "Belt Scrollers" and havin' wet dreams about Thatcher

Point is that it serves to disambiguate. A shooter could mean anything, a shmup is specific.

space war predates maze by about ten years

>you'll never pork Ikuo
PORCO DIO!

Shoot-them-up is in no way more specific than shooter.

When's the last time you heard someone refer to Doom as a shoot-em-up?

i could launch MAME from Steam, but i'm lazy

When have you ever heard of doom refereed to as a shooter?

>not calling them STGs

All the time.

This also works.

>this also works
>literally just an abbreviation for "shooting game"
Nigga, you have no idea what you're even talking about any more. If your intent is to prove that they should never be called "shooting games", you're failing miserably.

Quite enjoy this and its sequel

>arguing about terminology for belt shooters

STG never refers to an FPS or a TPS, unlike the term "shooter" by itself.
It serves its purpose in identifying the genre without ambiguity, which is all that matters.

If you were actually around for the days of the arcades, "shooters" were only one type of game. Other qualifiers like third person or first person were added to it to make distinctions between other specific game types but if you went to the shooter/shooting games rows in an arcade, you'd only find STG type games. Period.

Correct, but since arcades are dead and most people's initial reaction to the word "shooter" is something more like Halo than Gradius, it's necessary to add a little bit of context to be completely clear what it is you're talking about.

Otherwise we're grandma, and everything is "Nintendo". Kek.

Is this installation of DDP series really that bad?
Also, what shmup is the easiest to get all achievements in: Raiden 4 or Crimzon Clover?

Yes, I'm getting it. And not only don't I think it's the worst entry, I think it's a pretty good game overall.

Fuck you and fuck all the haters, eat shit.

No it's definitly not that bad, it's a great shmup

Wishlisted. Day one buy.

i always used to call them "space ship shooters"
and I used to hate the term "shmup"

nowadays i can't give any fucks

Either this or shmups works for me.

>the brown toast in german
M E T A

"Hey, do you like fat girls?"

And then everyone was triggered

Retard

>in german
?

It'd trigger MUH DICK

You don't belong here.

>not putting your toast in germans

Hot.

More please

I wanna trigger those cute pigs, if you know what i mean.

It's almost tragic. It was too ahead of its time.

aww i wanted Casper

Shit, there's a stream? Link nao.

What is the stream even for?

it was last nights steam on otakumode's twitch

TGS 2016

Oh. Can i rewatch it somewhere?

Wait, i think i found it.

Is this one?
/otakumode/v/89752517

twitch tv/otakumode/v/89752517

shmup stuff starts around 2 and a half hours

I mean why is Deathsmiles at TGS 2016 when it's already long been released on Steam?

ye

lol, it's dlc for Dariusburst
crossovers are hip, i guess

Sucks we didn't get r-type or thunder force.

S O F T

>it's dlc for Dariusburst
B-But how? Do you pilot a magic loli in space now?

High Test

Thanks.

>LOLIIIIS IIIN SPAAAACE

Nice to see DBCS did good enough to get plenty of DLC. I hope the rest of the Degica ports do fine.

>they'll port the entire Cave catalogue before even giving it a thought
JUST

>lolis in space
>one of them is chubby

>lolis in space
>one of them is a trap

>lolis in space
>one of them is Sean Murray

YES

>lolis in space
>one of them is a robotic weapon of mass destruction gone berserk due to a virus

goddamit Cred Forums image search failed, whats the sauce

That's what happens when you get desperate and want to sell your stuff.

Too bad Mame doesn't emulate it properly.
Besides, i wanna own and play a legal copy of the game, and if part of my money can go to the company that made it then even better.

youtube.com/watch?v=wO_Btv1ZpBI

Use saucenao you baka

Only saucenao worked
Misaki Fight G

thanks user

wheres your shmup collection Cred Forums?

>Japan
2007: Fat girls REEEEEEEE
2013: Kanako-chan is so moe, Curvy is best!

Talk about an unfortunate timing.

The day we get all the touhous on steam is the day I will personally fly to Japan and suck ZUNs dick

Bumsen !

>Mame doesn't emulate it properly.
What's wrong with it?

Emulation on a 15khz monitor trumps an upscaled port.

>Touhou announced for PS4!
>all fangames and spinoffs
Damn you, monkey paw.

Besides the graphical glitches and framerate?

Are you using shmupmame? That shit's so outdated.

Step up. There've been many improvements to the cave sh3 driver.

Yeah, no Fuck you too user.

I see.

Still, i wish i could buy it on Steam as a way to show the dev company my appreciation for making it.

>ZUN
>liking money

Ever since he got married, it sure seems that way, why else do you think all these doujin titles are ending up on console and licensed out internationally?

Then why not release a main game while he's at it?

Because.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-07-04/touhou-project-linked-trademarks-upheld-for-non-creator

Fuck this gay earth

Because as he's stated before, his excuse is that if a game is going to translated into english officially, he wants to be the one doing the translation.

>lolis in space
>one of them is a bee

So what about OP's game? Is it any good if you're a beginner at shmups?

Them plump cheeks.

Casper is not for lewd! She is a pure and innocent angel!

ketsuipachi > ketsui

I want wee a boos to leave

you are still on Cred Forums your disgusting mundane

Pretty much this. Besides being a DDP i can expect to get at least some bang for my buck.

>I'm going to assume there won't be any more after this
I really hope that's not the case, but if it ends happening then tough luck. Just for safety's sake i won't be buying any game i don't feel like playing.

A pure and innocent slut!

you're no fun.

No, she's not the slut.

It took me a while but i found the sause to be:
Shota Eater [Yuuki Rei]
if anyone else wanted to know

>hating on Daddy's girl
Rosa did nothing wrong.

I appreciate it, man.

Neither did Casper.

I love cute fatties.

The Element Dolls were basically a performance booster for the ships, user. There's a reason you choose them in Dai-ou-jou. And you still do for Daifukkatsu/Resurrection and the later series.

You cannot escape the waifuism.

Me too. Too bad Cave released MMP in 2007 so it got shunned by stg players.