Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jgeuG9rrqL4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_decimal#Notation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech
dictionary.com/browse/infinite
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence
youtube.com/watch?v=wxrcVzSlYgo
rule34-data-002.paheal.net/_images/2f62f3ebc7fef222f3165c02ed454b6d/1901821 - Bowser TJ_Henry_Yoshi.jpg
imgur.com/a/lcz6x
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes

yes. there are 3 triggers for a button input

1. press

2. release

3. hold (aka the time between press and release)

an A press can't be less than 1 or a fraction, unless you change the definition of press

"Half A press" is just a fucking figure of speech used to differentiate it from a normal A press.

So yes he is technically right, but he's also a fucking autist that doesn't understand the concept of figure of speech.

I bet people like this would also argue that 0,(9) isn't equal to 1.

This

Pannencock changed the definition of an A press to make it fit his feat, which isn't really impressive if you think about it

If you press something, you're just pressing it. You aren't releasing it, you're just pressing it down. Maybe if he had pressed the button halfway down he could call it a half A press.

0 is not equal to 1 butt face

Yes,
an A press is an A press, there is no half.

>a whole sword is a whole sword, you can't say it's a half!

> 0,(9)
the fuck kind of notation is that?

who's excited for the newest patapon game? posting some OST
youtube.com/watch?v=jgeuG9rrqL4

WATCH THE VIDEO HENRYFAGS

1 might not be equal to 0, but your reading comprehension sure is.

I assume he's saying 9 repeating.

An a press is an a press is an a press.

Degenerate scum the lot of you. If i push the button it is pressed. Thats it. End of rine.

""

Pannedcake makes me wanna eh reh

Exactly. If you push it, it is then pressed. morons.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_decimal#Notation

Game logic only sees the initial press and the release. On initial press a flag gets set that the button is down (and that flag gets used in game logic). Then on release that flag is cleared

When are we getting a TJ Henry Yoshi mod for Smash
Orange Yoshi is already ruined for me because of it, why not make it the real deal

who is talking about flags? its a button and you push it.

how do I break down half A presses to my girlfriend?
I've shown her the video but she keeps saying it's "dumb" and that "pressing a button is binary".

>american education

Your girlfriend is simply smarter than you.

God damn yoshi looks so fucking gay
Why did they do this?

""""""9 is equal to 1"""""""

That made me laugh more than it should have.

Tell xer that A presses are a spectrum like gender.

Say that it's an A Press that counts in the context of the full game run, but not in the context of the single level

Honestly, calling it a "Half A-Press" is a misnomer, and what resulted in all of this in the first place

Technically they are both wrong. If an A press has 3 parts then it's a 66.6% A press

She's right though. This whole argument is stupid. Who cares?

Yesterday: There is no half button press, you either press it or you don't
Today: A button press consists of multiple discrete states
Tomorrow: The age of continuous button theory

x = 0.999...
10x = 9.999...

-0.999... =
9.000... = 9x
Divide both sides by 9
x = 1

>I bet people like this would also argue that 0,(9) isn't equal to 1.
It isn't you fucking retard

If nobody is around to hear it is it even half

You just said x is 0.999 though, you can't take it back.

see

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

>In mathematics, the repeating decimal 0.999… denotes a real number that can be shown to be the number one.

>In other words, the symbols "0.999…" and "1" represent the same number.

Also:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech

I said x = 0.999 repeating, which is not = 0.999

10 x 0.99999999.... = 9.999999999...
10 x 1 = 10
Different.

It's called semantics.

In real life, there is no such thing as half a press.

But in the game's code, there is.

if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, is the kinetic energy discharged as sound when it hits the ground or does it keep falling through the ground until it reaches the earth's core?

Why did you just ignore my proof?

Pretty good, but could someone else redraw it?

He changed his youtube name to just TJ Yoshi.

I'll fight you, winner is right.

1/3 = .3333...
.3333... x 3 = .9999...
1/3 x 3 = 3/3

I guess 3 divided by itself isn't equal to 1.

Who the fuck writes a repeating decimal like that?

You either use an ellipsis, as in 0.999...
or you do pic related.

I thought game logic is just seeing if the A button is active on each individual frame.

Then a jump input occurs if A was not active on the previous frame, and is active on the current frame.

I have no idea what is going on

dictionary.com/browse/infinite

>3. unlimited or unmeasurable in extent of space, duration of time, etc

You can't substract infinity because that would go against the very definition of the concept, it's unlimited, thus impossible to use it to add or substract

Let me give you an example, assume that 0.999... = 1

0.999... = 1
1 - 0.999... = 0
0.000...1 = 0

In the last part, the zeroes repeat indefinitely, so the number 1 can't possibly be reached or be there at all, but it's still there conceptually, so you can't approximate the number to 0.

Infinity is a meme

pannekoeks explanation in the video is perfect, you autists have to actually listen to what he says.

a "half A press" does not exist in isolation. pannekoek refers to something as a 'half a press' action if he can accomplish it by using the helf down a button from an earlier a-press.

>It's called semantics.

Yeah and they're being broken.

>But in the game's code, there is.

Not really.

Because repeating decimals are dumb.

He's playing gold. Starts the swing as he's going out the house, finishes the swing as he hits the ball and goes in. Results in a hole in 0.5 instead of 1.

Golfer leaves home with his club halfway into his swing and finishes it at the course, getting a 0.5 par

adding/subtracting periodics like that is not a valid operation.

neither is multiplying them like that.

I've told you this twice now.

The release does nothing thus is not counted

He came to the golf course with this golf club already in the upswing.

He gets a hole-in-one, which means he counts it as a .5, instead of one.

The reasoning is that in Mario 64, releasing A doesn't really do anything, so effectively there's only two parts to the A press.
It's still fucking stupid though.

You don't know what you're talking about. That's the commonly accepted method for turning a repeating decimal to a rational.

Elaborate

>game recognizes an A press in 3 sections
>by starting the level with the A button already hold you're able to skip the first section and still use the jump once you let it go

Yes, it makes no fucking sense in real life, but that's how it works in game.

It's a feature, not a bug

Because ellipsis are retarded and the overline isn't on a normal keyboard.

>the released state is different from the held state

sounds like something changed

Nope, it's event driven. The events are press and release. Once the flag is set, you don't need to ask the hardware if it's still down, you just check the flag

>level start
>is button pressed? yes
>not a press

The video should just be called "Getting a star while holding down A the whole time for some reason"

Mathematics is shit.

>doesn't know the difference between pressing and holding

After he explained that its only for a full a-press run, it really clicked for me.
If it was a single segment run then watch for rolling rocks would be 1 a press.

>literally the only thing that matters in the world
>shit

How's your third world education holding up, bud?

Every press is a hold, going by that logic.

This desu.

>Tfw Ph.D in math
>600k starting, any job I want

x = 1/3 = 0,(3) (which means 0.333 repeating you spergs)
3x = 3*1/3 = 3*0,(3) = 0,(9)
3*1/3 = 3*3 = 1
1 = 0.(9)

>only thing that matters
kek let you see trying to not die of starvation by eating math books nerdlord

so what you're saying is that 0.(9) = 0.999...

Fuck off with these e-celeb threads

This isn't vidya discussion

>0.999999999999 presses
Nice meme

>Every press is a hold, going by that logic.
Not him, but technically it is
It's just a really really short hold

>Not proving the mathematical formula for willing in food

if you want to get really technical, panenkek actually completed the level with no presses at all, since he pressed and held the button before starting the level

user that clearly says 6.0 the line is there to show you which side is down.

>1/3 = 0,(3)

Prove it

That angle snapping holy fuck did someone with parkinsons drew this during an earthquake?

>proving an axiom

it is not a straight line over the number you homocuck it is an arc.

In any case you can't do it on the fucking keyboard

haha

How the fuck is that an axiom? You may as well just make the conclusion the axiom

this math shit is making me think of geometry wars, haha anyone remember that game? this is a game board

>for some reason
its so he can clear a gap he otherwise couldnt without jumping.

Hmm, neat

That's not how it works.

>x = 0.999
You subtract .999 from nowhere.
9.000 doesn't equal 9x, 8.991 equals 9x.

Fucking dumbass.

>still no job
lol

>it's a "Cred Forums discusses math" episode
Always ends in disaster.

Math is just a meme.

This, mathematics is literally just a forced meme started thousands of years ago by a bunch of old men with their balls hanging out of their tunics who thought it wud b laff. It was never intended to persist the way it has.

That's not how infinity works, bud. Take some calculus and discrete courses sometime.

This is literally, objectively true.

Have a on the house. You deserve it.

Shut up.

Type it in your calculator?
Didn't you learn basic maths?

Repeating of course.

>That's not how infinity works, bud.

So you agree we're arguing "numbers" and not actual numbers. I stick by the latter.

this. the fact that i have to see this ".999 != 1" thing every single week of my life on Cred Forums just goes to show how rare it is for anyoen on here to have taken calc 1

>Another notation employed in parts of *Europe* is to enclose the repetend in parentheses.

no, we ARE arguing actual numbers. the mathematics that have taken us to the moon and shaped the modern world are based on .999... being equal to 1.

only retards dont know this.

Learn what meme means. Maths is a meme. Maths is one of the biggest memes in existence.

holy fuck dude, did you use paint with an etch-a-sketch
took way more time to understand than it should have

Why do Europeans use a comma for the decimal like fucking weirdos?

What exactly are "actual numbers"? Numbers only exist as a concept we've come up with to try and explain things, and they mostly do a good job.

are you fucking retarded? we're talking internal game math

im remaking it in blender with the original n64 models
the thread will probably have 404d by the time im done but im sure this wont be the last one we have on the subject

This is literally the stupidest thread ever

>not having £2.010.456,89 in the bank

Compared to the normal shit on Cred Forums this is actually pretty nice.

How is it weirder than using a full stop? It's only weird because you're not used to it. Using commas to separate big numbers (one thousand -> 1,000) is fucking retarded however because it easily gets confused with decimal numbers. Just use a space.

>not having £2,010,456·89 in the bank

0.9 repeating CLEARLY does not equal one, they're two different numbers. Only retards would believe otherwise

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence

Infinity = Human concept

Math is perfect.
Humans are not.

>not having 2 010 456 89 in the bank

If you use commas for decimals then what the hell do you use for list separation?

if you use periods for decimals then what the hell do you use for ending a sentence?

>breathing life into a stale meme
keep up the good work user

>meme
>an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
>an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations.
so basically you're half right

A period. If you end a sentence with 123.45. there's no ambiguity; it just looks weird.

>half right

Kek

;

You cant say he is half right, he isright or he isnt right

Right is right you can't say I'm only half.

did math exist before humans?

>A play is a play. You can't congratulate someone for having half-played themselves
>DJ 'Henry' Khaled

oh shit

keep at it my man

A meme is a meme, you cant just get half meme and say is a bad meme

No, maths are an invention of humans to help us understand nature

Its a lenguage

Math is not plural.

So isnt your ball

owned

Completely right. It's fits one of the definitions so it's right. It doesn't have to fit both to be completely right. Other wise nothing could be completely literal because literal also means figurative

Based Pajeet bantz.

holy shit

It's one A press but it's spread across two stages.
1 / 2 = 0.5
It's not that hard.

It just means that it's an a press that would count as 2 in a single level run, and count as 0 in a full run (because it would have been counted earlier when it was first pressed

No, it'd count as 1 press in a single-level run and 0 in a full run

Half a meme is me and I am a meme meaning me = meme so meme = memememe.

Yeah, that 2 was a typo.

this is what happened to the last motherfucker who claimed a half a press isn't possible

LOL

It wasn't called in the context of the whole game though.
It was specifically in that level only. And to add to that, it's taking the average if presses

If math is an invention of humans (Imperfect) then it cannot be perfect. In fact there are situations where math doesn't accurately describes what happens

How much dirt is in a 5 by 11 hole?

Yeah, you can't do half an a-press.

This whole thing of a-presses being in two parts is retarded.

0 if its a hole.

Have none of you retards watched the video? It makes complete sense. He presses the button before he enters the level and holds it. If he were talking in the context of a single level run, it would clearly be a whole A press. If he's talking a full game run, the press is part of the area before it. Jesus Christ.

Honestly never had any idea what this was meant to show until it got explained ITT

That's hilarious

>guy is physically pressing the A button down
>it doesn't count as an A press because I didn't start the press inside the stage
Why even bother? Besides, didn't his own logic make it a 2/3rds press?

To be honest, 64 Mario fags need to just change the terminology to be A cycles.

But he's not physically holding it down he has software that makes the game think he's holding it, in reality he never presses the button

The only point of counting A presses is because they have utility. The act of releasing the button serves no utility except that of being able to press it again. That's why it's only 50%. Did you even watch the video, he's pretty clear about this?

The release state obviously acts as a terminator for the held state.

yes stil you can count only using the hold part as an achievement not a half pres but only hold without the jump, just say it like you want if you can't stand using the half wich isn't acurate

Shut up """"""""""Henry'''"''"'"''"""""""

The utility of releasing the button is ending the "held" state, that is definitely a change in state, if the release was worthless there would be no difference between the "held" and "release" state.

People are retarded, half a press is a term in reference to a run, meaning that a half a press is a term extended from an a press.

Half a press is just holding the button so you don't have to press it again after entering a level for certain things, it's still the extension of an a press, but in context of individual segments of a run you can still do levels in half an a press. It's only significant terminology in limited a press runs

So I know it takes a fish 7 days to stop swimming through PUs, but just exactly how many PUs is that?

This tbqh f@m.

I mean, it's not like you can do more than one half A press anyway. The moment you press the button again, it adds 1 numerical press, so the value is always x.5 presses. However if someone wants to know how to get any particular star in a limited amount of presses, the term half a press is so convenient because it conveys that you can get that star without having pressed A.

People get so caught up in the rhetoric they miss the forest for the trees.

The held state is not determined by release of the button though, if you don't hold the button releasing does nothing after a standard press the same as it does nothing after a held press. End of a state doesn't count, it would have to start a new state to count, because it's still the actual press or hold of the button doing any action, letting go doesn't do an action it just stops the action

>perfection must come from perfection

I want this meme to die

We can create perfection without being perfect

Eg. me

Miia a shit

its a matter of opinion

The fish stops at x = -67,108,864
A PU is 65,535 by 65,535

67108864 / 65535 ≈ 1024

Engines efficiency is limited by the requirement to be able to be worked on or serviced by human hands, or by tools that are operated by human hands.

button states:
>00 - none
>01 - pressed
>11 - held
>10 - released
There is no such thing as a half press. It's simply what these memers call entering a stage with the button held.

bazinga

No, there are two states:
>0 - not pressed
>1 - pressed
pannenkoek2012 isn't talking about literally holding the A button halfway; it's just terminology for when an A press actually matters

saved

nice

This pleases me

This is true, but in the context of 64 there is literally no functional difference between released state and idle state, in other games this is not the case, but there is no code in the game itself that gives any functionality to a state of a button being released after being held, making open/released functionally the same state

based as fuck

It's more autistic to come up with the concept of a half A press so you can say you completed a Mario level in less than one A press.

Why bloat the number of A-presses in single star runs? The whole concept is going out the window once the full game run is done anyway.

Of course not. The guy even specifically describes why not in the video. If that one section was the only section of the game Pannenkoek cared about then it would be 1 and not 0.5, but the video was made in the larger context of beating SM64 in its entirety with as few A button presses as possible. If the button was pressed and held down in an earlier section, then released in that section, it wouldn't be more than one press, so to call the act of releasing the button "one press" is stupid.

Bait, right?

It's not for the sake of the single level, but for the whole run. If you jump into the map and then release inside the map, that's not +2 presses for the run.

I feel like it should have TJ crying at the end. Maybe have a low opacity image of him behind the scorecard. But that's just my 2 cents. Nice work user

i was thinking of that, but i don't have a high res copy of the image and cant be arsed to redraw it.
anyone have this image saved? pls post it

Or just have a screenshot of your 3D henry model and just draw some tears on it real quick

>you autists have to actually listen to what he says.
>calling others autists for not listening to a literal autist

>pannekoek refers to something as a 'half a press' action if he can accomplish it by using the helf down a button from an earlier a-press.
Normal people call this taking the average. Calling it otherwise is either epeen or clickbait. Likely both in pancake's case.

He should probably stop calling it 0.5x and just call it 0x, since he never actually presses A inside the level. He probably just called it 0.5x to avoid people calling him out, which didn't turn out so well anyway.

There's something off about SSBM Mario, but I don't know what.

The average of 0 and 1 is 0.5, AKA one half.

"[Star name] 0.5x A presses" is a much nicer sounding name than "[Star name] entering the stage with the button held and then releasing it during the mission"

But that's misleading
If, in a particular level, he has not pressed A but still uses the press from previous rooms, it's not a level done without the use of A
0x A press runs are runs in which A is never pressed at all

I like how pannenkoek2012 threads always turn into scientific discussion.

The guy needs to do more commentated stuff.

that was a good idea. OK everyone save this one instead

The level itself is done without pressing A, he just entered it by pressing A. In terms of the entire run it would be +1 press, but for the level in a vacuum it would be +0.

It actually looks like he has personality or something.

he looks too italian

That's better

Exact opposite. Everybody looks soulless in melee

Then call it what it is, not some shitty clickbait title

>internet meme is the same thing as epistemological meme because 1 of the words is the same xDDDD

shut the fuck up you pseudoint reddit faggots

"With an average of 0.5x A presses"?

It looks like he's made of lacquered vomit, like everyone in Melee. It would have been considered ugly as a Dreamcast game.

>"none"
>using binary to try to look smart

Holy shit you are retarded lmao

That's the point you fucking moron. The number of A presses differs depending on whether it's a single-level run or a full-game run.

10/10

>mfw someone unironically says 'half A press"

You deserve another (You) for this.

I don't think a guy making Mario TAS videos is hunting for views.

>a word is its meaning

Is the par 0 or something? That's not how Golf works.

Post the memes, boys

didnt want the models to go to waste so

Penetration is penetration, you can't say you only put the tip in!

So who else start replaying mario 64 after seeing his videos?

Trying to get 120 stars right now

huehuehuehuehue

0.5 dickings.

This is what literally happened in the 0.5 A Press video

>tfw mario can astral project at will with help of a chuckya

Literally unstoppable.
youtube.com/watch?v=wxrcVzSlYgo

In a literal sense, yes. 0.5 A presses is notation, not mechanic.
You already knew this. Stop making this thread. Stop replying to it.

nah

Fuck off """"""""""Henry""""""""""

No, and anyone saying yes is just his damage control

Hahahaha, someone send that to pancakeman

How would that calculate that, anyway?

how does the ball get hit to go inside the hole in the first place
is this loss

It's fucking bullshit and you know it

animated version of henry sucking half a dick when

already exists famalam

The name half A press is used when a level would use a full A press on it's own, but wouldn't use one when ran in a full ABC run because you could just release an earlier press.
There is no half A press possible if the A button hasn't been pressed, however obvious that may be.

>release
I meant hold.

link
i know the original came from that roy azarashi pdf but where's the henry edit

Yes, you also cannot travel to other dimensions in mario 64, that only came out in galaxy

you guys are so dumb you'd probably think 6 is 3!

rule34-data-002.paheal.net/_images/2f62f3ebc7fef222f3165c02ed454b6d/1901821 - Bowser TJ_Henry_Yoshi.jpg

have half a wank

made a more coherent version

you're so dumb you probably thought I got a 4!

that isn't animated you fuck
i can't half-wank to this

Maybe they're playing that old rule where you just count how many times you hit the ball.

You used the wrong number though. This only works if the number is 0.999 and not 0.9 repeating.

Yes it is. Your browser probably doesn't have animated jpg support.

A deal's a deal, you can't just say no to those nipples.

imgur.com/a/lcz6x
Half apologise.

>
>animated jpg
That's just a .gif with the filename changed to .jpg. Try saving it.

Where's his golf bag? kinda ruins the... immersion

Panels 3, 4 and 5 shold go first, I think. Otherwise, it's how I thought it should be

Why would he be carrying a golf bag? That's what caddies are for.

Why do you ewirdos have to make porn out of everything? it's disgusting.

You seem to have problems with your own sexuality, I suggest getting professional help.

am not

amazing