Does anyone else think Mario is terrible as a character...

Does anyone else think Mario is terrible as a character? He has almost no personality other than "happy" and being a silent protag certainly doesn't help in this regard, or I should say almost silent because someone will chime in how he says wahoo or whatever.

He's been in hundreds of games and even in the RPGs barely gets any of the story devoted to him and has no development over the last 30 years. The only time he does get any kind of personality is in the non-canon cartoon shows or the movie that no one seems to like.

It's just boggling to me he is so popular, let alone a company mascot when he is so lacking in depth. Plus a middle aged overweight hairy man is kind of an odd choice to have as a mascot when you're mainly appealing to kids. There's not much they can relate to there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pPTCS_KMMyY?t=74
youtube.com/watch?v=9tQWLg4E90M
hitbox.tv/video/762516
youtube.com/watch?v=r3WEsbs2im8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like Mario. He's a simple kind of guy, he likes adventure, he likes excitement, he likes being good to people and helping out those in need. He's so genuine. A personality doesn't need to be deep and complex to be good.

youtu.be/pPTCS_KMMyY?t=74

hes just a chubby happy bouncey guy with a strong sense of justice
The opener of the NES and has been featured in plenty of masterpieces since then. He's not just the main character of the Mario series, he's like the main character of Nintendo and maybe games in general

That's the point, no real personality so they can stick him in any video game situation. He's "Mr. video game".

To be fair to Mario, outside of the RPGs, none of the other characters (besides maybe Luigi, Wario and Rosalina) have much personality either.

Mario is a mascot, he has a no personality but his games have no logic either so they can do ANYTHING with them.

In contrast, see Link. No persoanility but his universe has an actual lore and story, u can't put zelda characters in a party game or driving karts

Mario is Mickey Mouse of video games.

Was that irony?

Mickey Mouse has a very strong personality.

Yeah he can be a real spiteful asshole at times, it's great.

Super Mario RPG for the SNES, the very first Mario RPG, actually did quite a bit to develop his character. The problem is nobody ever used that development again.

In the RPG he's a brash brawler who almost hits a child because he was making fun of him. He's kind of rude, kind of lowbrow, and always reminded me of a standard warrior trope. He's exhausted and exasperated in the game but clearly tries his hardest to save the day. He even sets aside his animosity with Bowser to take on a greater evil.

But in every other game he's le happy jumpman who says "WAHOO" in a stereotypical Italian accent.

I am matter...
I am antimatter...
I can see your past...
I can see your future...
I consume time...
And I will consume you!

Huh, I don't remember that, but that's cool if that made him be more gruff. I always thought Bowser in that game was done pretty well. It was the first time he went beyond being just a generic bad guy and you could see his troops loved him and he had some feelings.

Why hasn't Mallow ever been seen again? Is he owned by Square too like Geno is?

He probably is, yeah, which is a shame. I liked Geno and Mallow.

SMRPG did a good job of giving longtime series regulars a personality. Like you said, Bowser was excellent, Mario was great, even the Princess was done well, if a bit generic. Still, when you don't have any personality at all to work with, you do what you can, and I think Square did a fantastic job.

I also like how the world seems to have very little to do with Mario.
Like they made a generic fantasy game and then taped mario over 25% of it.

to be fair this is the same game that made daisy a fucking slut

That game was so fucking good. It gave the characters so much personality.

Yeah, it took Mario's lore and turned it into it's head. It somehow felt like a Mario fanfiction game that turned out well. Hard to explain, but I love the game.

why does he look so smug

And it gave us Booster.

He has no personality to make him fit in a lot of vidya genres, you can't put a character with a personality like Samus in a sports game.
Mario is about the gameplay not the story

>yeah? YEAH!?

do your mario impersonation Cred Forums

I agree. I like seeing happy characters, and this is why I love Mario.

WAAH-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

WUBWUBWUBWAHOOOO

it is i, merio

IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD, LUIGI

Mario is the only character my mum likes: he has universal appeal.

Yeah, I feel like he's becoming a bit of a Mickey Mouse in his mainline games, in that he has no outward personality aside from "Do-gooder".

They need to go back to making Mario be a dark and spooky series.

The fact that pretty much every game he's been in has had little story and mostly pure gameplay makes Mario the greatest video game icon in history.

Mario is the personification of the core video games. Just going on an adventure because you want to. Not because a story, graphics or flashy characters are carrying you through.

this was my favorite fight in the game

you have terminal 7

TTYD and Super had voices for Mario.

But not the pic related

Isn't that the old Mickey Mouse, if any?

I think the most recent is more similar to Mario.

Care to explain in more detail?

I played Super Mario RPG through a few times, and either I"m forgetful or that stuff barely happened at all. Maybe you're just looking into it too much.

YAHOO YAHOO YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAHOO

UHNF

Tanooki Mario is a costume that was invented in Super Mario Bros 3 you dipshit.

How often do Italians say "mama mia"?

I hate how Mario had a lot of spin offs that spawned mini series and all that and yet Nintendo acts as if it's better when it's all bland and simple.

For fuck's sake, some characters had their own games that ended up well.

Mario is as expandable as the Marvel/DC universes, he deserves better.

They're legally obligated to say it at least once an hour.

Might as well post this.

They should really give Mario a redesign. It's about time.

Which Mario characterization is best?
>Cartoons
>Early games
>Modern games

Didn't Miyamoto want to give Link a rifle at one point?

When he traveled to the future, yes.

Why would somebody draw this?

>Probably the most well known video game character of all time
>Terrible

Capt. Lou

Mario being mature is like one of the oldest video game memes

Generally, they only say it when they die.

SO LONG FAG BOWSER

>is Mozart still alive?!

"I HATE NIGGERS"

mario and luigi series

Some sport games depict Mario as a silent sore loser that secretly enjoys victory and the admiration of others. That makes sense, since Mario has always been showered with praise for being the hero in the main games.

only after a spicy meatball

This is funny because SMB3 is a stage play

I guess Mario is that kind of character that actually as been created to make experiments about new ideas of Gameplay, even tho Nintendo did actually some RPGs and many games that are developing the universe, Mario always been a demo character.
Miyamoto said that when he work on Mario Kart on SNES, he had no idea of what kind of character to set in this kind of game, so he just said to just use the Mario series character and everything should be fine.

draauu!

LETS-A-GO

MAMA!?
MAMA LUIGI!?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Best Mario design, that corner cutting TTYD one doesn't compare. I like that he's voiceless too. But I must admit I like his voice in 3D platformers, and I like how his voice is used sparingly in new 2D platformers instead of for every input like some shitty annoying games.

The only series I think should have remained completely voiceless is Kirby. Voiceless characters are just automatically cuter, giving them cutesy Pikachu grunts is forced and obnoxious. Imagine if Chibi Robo suddenly had high pitched baby like "waaah hap-hooo gyaaah!"s, it'd be a travesty.

They say it in private all the time

I liked the N64 days when they tried to give him a little bit of fourth-wall dialogue and actual personality.

>Thank you so much-a-for-to-playing my game!

youtube.com/watch?v=9tQWLg4E90M

It's all subtle stuff since he never actually talks. But Mario's definitely has a bit of a mean streak in SMPG, although some of it is optional. For example, you can try to run off with the princess after rescuing her rather than taking her home. And you can keep trying to do so as more and more characters tell you not to. Until finally they all yell at you to cut it out.

There's even a reference to the old lady falling in the stairs ad

Best Mario games official power ranking:

Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario
SMB2 US
SMB1
World
SMB3

Rest are trash.

it's basic psychology

Kek, I forgot about this

I'm pretty sure Mario is supposed to be nothing more than a pawn for the player to use, which is why he has no character.

You could argue that other Mario characters have more depth to them and as a result it's weird that Mario doesn't, but Mario is more often the protagonist than others, so it still makes sense to keep Mario emotionless.

Your bias is clear.

Fuck off, we have enough video games with stories and trying to be movies, Mario is just Mario, he's the fucking Italian Plumber who saves a Princess that's all there is to it.

What is the most retarded Mario theory?

the one where he's a sociopath

"The M on Mario's hat stands for Mario"

>muh bowser fucked peach and bowser jr. is her son

this one

Peach doesn't even have reproductive organs, she's biologically a Toad.

Anyone remember Mario's Game Gallery?

Yes.
hitbox.tv/video/762516

Mario us a video game mascot, not a movie mascot. Rather than being a deep and intricate character with development and story, Mario is just the face that is associated with so many fun games. Not saying you can't have video games with great story and fun gameplay, but most mario games focus on fun gameplay, which is the pure essence of video games. That is why mario is a great mascot.

No, she clearly has a functioning uterus because in Princess Peach she can get PMS.

The one where luigi is rosalina's mom or some stupid shit like that. Anything from game theory, really.

Go read a fucking book.

I think you are looking too deep into the comedic effect of the game.

That isnt literally mario's personality

It's not bad. They changed it so that they only need to do it while awake, so they could stop waking up once an hour to say it. I think they did it some time in the 80's. Maybe early 90's.

That's true in the other Mario RPGs too. You can be one hell of an asshole in the Paper Mario games - sometimes to the point the choices you pick are so wrong they lead to an immediate Game Over. Mario is less of a dick in the M&L series but he clearly gets tired of Luigi's bullshit at times and isn't beyond tricking friendly NPCs (like how he tricks the nurse in M&L3 and makes her worried about his condition so that they can talk to Toadley). He's also shown to be rather greedy, like when the Zeekeeper asks for a ridiculous pay and Luigi doesn't mind while Mario stays shocked.

I read one that Mario is actually the Happy Mask Salesman.

so female toads haves pus pus?

he is juct an icon. Nothing more, nothing special, nothing memorable. Just a classic character who is 'relevant' because is used again and again. Same with other mascots but since those studios dies, well, they are irrelevant now.

No, that's Miyamoto.

nintendo has/had some bible for people who would make promotional material, and it said in no uncertain terms stuff like "Mario is brave" "Mario is heroic" and that kind of stuff

Except Mickey always sucked dick

So they want us to call him a faggot instead?

So he's kinda like Chester Cheetah

>Nothing special
>Nothing memorable

He revived video games

"He" didn't. You could swap his sprite out for anyone and had the same effect. It's not like MGS where if you removed Snake the rest of the game would be the same. Mario is the least important part of a Mario game.

YIPEEEE

YAHOOO

Mario is a beta orbiter who has never had sex with Peach.

He's not supposed to have a personality. No one in the Mario-verse does.

Mario is merely a vessel for the gameplay.

That Mario in the original arcade DK game is Marios dad or something

But that's canon.

Non-characters are great and very suitable for all kinds of different stuff.

In fact, the industry could most certainly do with more non-character player characters. Lots of franchises have been ruined, entirely unnecessarily so, due to all of a sudden forcing the idea of putting character onto their non-characters.
You don't need to. If it doesn't suit the thematics and above all, objectives of your game. You probably shouldn't.

That's why you can do things like destroy the entire Mario universe and replace it with a new one and nobody cares.

You couldn't though, because it already happened, with Mario. Only retards argue with nonsense hypotheticals.

The fact that Mario doesn't have much of any discernible character, makes me associate Mario with Mario games. Not Mario the character. And that has a very distinct advantage.

Compare it to something like Sonic where the first thing I think of is that I find Sonic the character to be annoying, with me only thinking of the games second.

He really likes Peach but he doesn't love her, Luigi does.

NEEEEEEN TEEEEEN DOOOOO
WAHOOO

Why did Nintendo totally drop the Brooklyn thing after the 90's?
As far as I know he's straight up Italian and may not even have a plumbing job in the outside world at this point.
I just find it odd that Nintendo constantly whittles this shit down, not that Mario had a very complex story to begin with.

Did any of the games ever say he was from Brooklyn or a plumber in the first place? AFAIK the Super Show made that up.

Cause Charles Martinet came in and broke the mold of the gruff New Yorker. And Miyamoto loved that.

>Not a single game made after the year 2000 listed

Interesting.

The very first mario bros arcade game said they were plumbers or something right like that? Is that just what people said when they saw them in the sewers?

I don't know. Obviously they were underground with pipes but it could just be something people assumed. Maybe they were meant to be exterminators.

mario sucks. fuck him. eat a dick fucking bitch

Die

youtube.com/watch?v=r3WEsbs2im8
>7-1
FUCKING LUIGI

>And Miyamoto loved that.
But Miyamoto hasn't been good at anything beyond basic concepts since the mid-90's.
Also, the whole Gruff New-Yorker shtick was what made Mario and Luigi funny.
It was such a great contrast to the whimsical and crazy shit that was going on around them. It's probably the only reason the Super Show, World, and Mario 3 cartoons are as funny as they are.

I hate Mario's current voice. He sounds like Mickey Mouse on helium. Miyamoto doesn't know jack about voice acting.

>Nintendo had to sit through hundreds of dudes doing the same fucking Gruff voice with a New York accent.
>Charles comes in, decides these games are for kids, does the current Mario voice.
>Threatened to play tag with Miyamoto with pasta.

dobson pls go

I genuinely hate Charles M. for the fact that he's inflicted this shitty Mario voice upon us, and now we have to deal with it for the rest of fucking time. Because I know that even if Charles leaves, or even passes away, they're gonna get a sound-alike now.

Dobson, please go.

>Mario will always have the same soulless 3D mannequin model until the end of time
>he will always sound like he was castrated at 10 for the rest of time

It's sad that what we have now is the be-all, end-all Mario that our great-great-great-great grandkids will also be stuck with.