I just beat Metal Gear Solid 3. Am I good to start MGS2 or is MGS1 worth the shitty controls and graphics?

I just beat Metal Gear Solid 3. Am I good to start MGS2 or is MGS1 worth the shitty controls and graphics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EaABZqW4DNg
youtube.com/watch?v=DP29E9MljaE
youtube.com/watch?v=jPgDIWxgOYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Since you start with 3, just watch the digital graphic novel version of mgs1 and 2 on youtube and then play 4 if you have ps3. If not, skip to Peace Walker then V. Peace

I started with 2 and played 1 after. It doesn't REALLY matter but 1 is a really good game and I think you should play it first.

>not going in release order.
Don't bother, you wouldn't understand the story .

I already know the gist of the story, just with holes between the set pieces.

>not playing release order

Fucking retard. But it's pretty much required to play 1 before 2.

I tried to but I just hated the look and feel of it

Here is the only acceptable order to play the Metal Gear games in:

Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear 2 (MSX)
Metal Gear Solid
Sons of Liberty
Snake Eater
(stop here unless you like awful bullshit)
Guns of the Patriots
Peace Walker

You played the only good one. Don't bother any more with this garbage series.

fuck you peace walker was great

why the living fuck did you not play the games in the release order??

And yes, MGS1 is a fucking essential game, and one of the greatest games in the series.

>skip PW
fuck you.

I played 3-1-2-PW-GZ-PP

1 is a really good game and it still holds up, Don't forget to use the radar though

everyone says the mgs series is super gay but i played them and didnt notice that beyond vamp, and volgin

did i miss something?

MGS2 relies a lot on MGS1 to accomplish what it does in terms of the twists the story takes but as well as its meta-narrative that transcends the plot of the game itself but is also a commentary on the player themselves. there's just so much that will go completely over you're head that MGS2 isn't worth it without playing MGS1 first.

if you can't get over the controls of MGS1, just play Twin Snakes. it adds improvements from MGS2 like first person view aiming and the tranquilizer gun, though it really imbalances the game in your favor because no changes were made to the game itself to account for it.

there are some other complaints like the music in inferior and fanboys like to say the voice acting was "phoned-in" (i don't really get this impression myself) but it's not a completely horrible. MGS1 is still playable, but you have to go in more with the mindset that it's an arcade game rather than a pure stealth game like MGS3 can be.

nigga you should have already played those games before starting mgs3 but whatever, you're good to go for both

MGS1 is good and worth playing. It has issues, but its problems don't have anything to do with its age. The game just has--in my opinion--somewhat shit priorities. If you want to follow the characters and understand the story it's vital.

Stop being a turbo-teen.

Nope. The majority of characters are overtly heterosexual.

He said "skip to Peace Walker," not "skip Peace Walker."

I didn't get around to playing the MSX games (or Ghost Babel) until around Peace Walker's release, which I sort of regret. Metal Gear 2 is a top three game in the series for me, as is Ghost Babel.

naked dudes, crotch grabs, secret broshakes/hugs, etc. it's not actual gay shit, its just humorous and slighty homoerotic stuff.

>its meta-narrative that transcends the plot of the game itself but is also a commentary on the player themselves

I know MGS2 fans say stupid shit to defend this bad game but this is really stupid

He's right though. It's not even particularly veiled. The game considers the parallels fairly openly, most notably when Raiden throws away the dogtag with the player's input information. The series has playfully broke the fourth wall since its inception. It's not that surprising with that in mind.
>bad game
Why do you think so?

have you never played MGS2 or something? not even defending it, but it's pretty fucking blatant that Raiden was supposed to be some kind of metaphor.

>I tried to but I just hated the look and feel of it

You dont like MGS then.

MGS1/2 are the literal heart and soul of the series, starting without them means you dont even know what this series actually is and how it developed to where it is now.

>Why do you think so?
The overall design of big shell was stupid.
Boring/Lame boss fights.
Raiden was a boring and uninteresting character (ib4 MUH SNAKE)
The fact the game went really dumb at Arsenal Gear

> most notably when Raiden throws away the dogtag with the player's input information
its just an Easter Egg. Why does the MGS2 fanabse try to look for symbolism in something like that?

I played MGS2. I did not care for it and by the end I just wanted it to be done

>not getting it

let me guess, you thought mgs2 was awful because
>WAHH SNAKE ISNT IN IT
>RADIENNS SOO GAYYYY

plebs I tell you

figures.

>he didn't get that MGS2 was supposed to be mocking everyone that wanted the sequel to be exactly like MGS1.

>he didn't get that MGS1 was a supposed to be play off of the expectations of those who played both MG's on MSX

>He didn't get that MGS4 was making fun of FPS and the call of duty franchise

how's it feel to be this clueless user

>frogposter

why should I take you seriously?

youtube.com/watch?v=EaABZqW4DNg
>missing the best homoerotic moment in the entire series

>taking anything seriously

this faggot

MGS2 fans expect people to take the AI speech at the end of the game seriously

>The overall design of big shell was stupid.
Nope. It's some of the best level design in the series in terms of actually working with the enemy behavior and mechanics. MGS2 is easily one of the most fun games in the series to sneak through for me for this reason.
>Boring/Lame boss fights.
Dead Cell weren't interesting as characters, but I think the fights themselves were good. The Harrier, Vamp, and Solidus being highlights.
>Raiden was a boring and uninteresting character
If you say so.
>The fact the game went really dumb at Arsenal Gear
It did so in a way that was pretty self-aware, though.
>Its just an Easter Egg
You realize this scene happens during a conversation with Snake about how Raiden needs to find his own path through life, right? Raiden tossing away the dogtag is the game's way of expressing that Raiden isn't a pawn (playable character) in someone else's scheme (a video game) anymore, but will find his own identity. It's the game's way of suggesting that the player should do the same in his own life despite various pressures that impact our identities and decisions.

The game alludes to his status as a metaphor of the player elsewhere, too, like his experience of Shadow Moses as a VR mission.

You're good, just play Splinter Cell and then mebe MGSV

One of the funnier moments in the series.

you fucked yourself over
congrats

>It did so in a way that was pretty self-aware, though.

how was it self aware? When I try to recall Arsenal Gear, it's a giant blur and everything is on acid. In addition two really bad boss fights

>there are people who actually like MGSV being operations over action

These people are the same who loved peace Walker gameplay

>peace walker
>bad
when will this meme end? it was better than V

>how was it self aware?
Really? The whole thing is pretty humorous, including references to both Ghost Babel and the MSX original, as well as weird video clips.

never played the MSX games or Ghost Babel

You ought to.

I really don't see how MGS3 is a greatest of all time game. From what I've heard of 2 though, it should be one.

the MSX games are old and dated. and I heard that the GBC one was ass

MGS2 would be if its level design weren't dogshit. As it stands it's an interesting message within a terrible game.

why doesn't this mention 'the boss'

>MGSV Definitive Experience
>People begin hyping that it's going to include the cut parts
>Nope
>Ground Zeroes
>All DLC

LOL

It was written in a time when Kojima didnt completely give up on the series.

>the MSX games are old
Sure.
>dated
Not really.
>I heard that the GBC one was ass
You heard wrong.
>terrible game.
Nah.

Roger, thank you.

>third generation Japanese
What is with Japan and shoehorning Japanese ancestry into characters?

That said, I'm not sure why they retcon'd it out.

>Skullface was actually Sokolov this whole time

What is with Westerners and shoehorning European ancestry into characters?

Bullshit aside, a third-gen Japanese-American is very believable to live in Hawaii and it actually matters toward his development. It's not "shorehorned" by any means.

THEY'RE FUCKING NUMBERED RETARD

HOW DID YOU FUCK THIS UP?

>not playing in release order

You fucked up

>3 comes first in the timeline
I don't get it.

Just like all prequels MGS3 assumes you played the other before it

>starting with 3

You already fucked up, there is no point in going forward anymore. Maybe wait 10 years and then start from scratch then.

You should move on to MGS: Kill Yourself

What kind of fucking mongoloid doesn't play the games in release order?

>What is with Westerners and shoehorning European ancestry into characters?
I was just referring to the fact that a lot of characters of otherwise Western origin in Japanese media have some ties to Japan. I never said it was necessarily unbelievable.

Either way, Big Boss being Japanese is retcon'd so it doesn't matter.

Already tried 1 via emulations, didn't care for the visuals or controls.
Just bought the HD collection and decided to try Snake Eater, the first offered MGS game in the collection.

watch your swine uncultured mouth. i bet you look like shitty graphics

Oh so you're a faggot then

Refer to

>all this shitposting just because OP played the best one first
Jesus, no wonder MGSfags have a cancerous reputation.

Here is the real order to play the MG games in.

Play MGS3 then MGSV then MGR and then don't play any of the other ones or read about them or anything.

I don't really think MGS3 is the best one, though.

nice

basic bait is a diamond dozen, but you really take the biscuit

>MGS1/2 are the literal heart and soul of the series

MG2 is worth a mention, it has too much in common with the latter two not to be considered legitimately on par.

You are not going to gain any sympathy by admitting to be a graphics whore. Either way it doesn't matter, you will never be able to appreciate the series now.

MGS3 is the most bland game in the main series, gameplay is worse than 4 and V while story-wise is worse than 1 and 2.

And you really cannot understand the meta-commentary in MGS3 if you haven't played the previous games.

>Diamond Dozen
Anyone can see that's eleven, not a dozen!

Was Huey innocent?

Who cares about Kojima wanking himself off? In the end I can't blame someone for only caring about the gameplay, and MGS3 has the best of it.

> gameplay is worse than 4 and V
MGS4 barely has gameplay and when it does, it's usually just a TPS setpiece.
V has the blandest and most boring level design in the entire series.
Both of these games might have good gameplay from a pure mechanical standpoint but it's garbage in the context of the way you can actually utilise it.

play them all and stop being a faggot

>MGS3 has the best of it.
I disagree.

I do think it's far better than MGS4 or MGSV, though.

Why the hell would you start with 3? Fuck you morons thinking you should play games based around a timeline that was completely being made up as they went along. Order release always.

What's wrong autists?

It really is funny how fucking mad Metal Gear kids get. And Cred Forums in general

Gamecube version, less shitty graphics.

The story isn't hard to follow user.

They're still shitposting even though OP stated that he tried to play MGS and just didn't like it. MGS, like most fanbases, is dogshit.

Literally every single gameplay feature introduced in 3 was a failure. It was either dumb to begin with or dumbed down from the time it was conceived to when it was implemented to the point of being pointless. Add to this that they kept all the bad additions to 2 while getting rid of some good ones.

You have shirt taste in video games underage.

Twin Snakes has a higher polygon count, but I think the game looks worse overall, or at least significantly more bland.

>I heard that the GBC one was ass
From who? It's an outstanding metal gear game, on par with the MSX titles.

Nah its great.

>It's okay guys, OP says he's a graphics whore so it's all good

He should be FIGURATIVELY being crucified right now. He's getting off easy.

>I've never heard of prequels before

the internet

You fucked up some of the nuances and general "feel" by going in chronological order instead of release. You should play all 5 mgs games, each one is required, you can skip 4 if you don't have hardware and leave it for later (it's the last one in chronology anyway, not counting mgr which is non-canon and too different anyway). You MUST play 1 before 2, and you must play them both, you should skip portable ops (just watch it's plot on youtube or something), you can skip PW if you can't stand it's gameplay, arcadish feel and grind (you MUST know the plot though, watch it somewhere), you should play MG1-2 too if you can stomach their age.
But really focus on 1-2 for now, you played your first metal gear solid game in which solid snake isn't even a thing yet, this is just wrong.

Nah you are a literal retard

youtube.com/watch?v=DP29E9MljaE

Who on the internet? Majority opinion just about everywhere is that it's great.

> is MGS1 worth the shitty controls and graphics?
>controls and graphics
I'm not surprised MGSfags have lost the ability to comprehend any sentence more complex than a kindergartner's scribblings after the word diarrhoea that was MGS2's latter half.

You should really stick to 1 man, it grows on you, and it has aged a lot better than most games of it's age or even younger.

>bad additions to 2
Like what? The only thing I can think of is that the tranquilizer gun made no-kill runs easier than before.

>released after MGS2 on more powerful hardware
>character models and environments look worse

>Majority opinion

there's more to the internet than Cred Forums

Looks like a cutscene right out of MGS2 bro.

I wasn't talking about Cred Forums. Everywhere I've been people have loved the game.

>The only thing I can think of is that the tranquilizer gun

And that's exactly what i was referring to. Biggest fucking mistake in this whole series as far as gameplay goes. Turned a "use whatever items you can to overcome the challenges" series into a "don't use the overpowered items to challenge yourself" one. What is even more ridiculous is that the tranq gun bypasses almost all of the complex enemy (AI) scenarios introduced in the same game. Literally the kind of shit that should be an unlockable for beating the game.

This is autism

Old one is ugly polygon garbage.

hahahaha that can't be real
what the fuck were they thinking

Gamecube way better.

@352143676

I bet you wanted this (You)

Looks like a shitpost right out of Cred Forums bro.

Were you one of the 10 people who owned a gaycube?

I think MGS looks like garbage either way, but that's just plain wrong.

Lighting is everything in this case, and in TTS it's completely flat. MGS on PS1 at least had some texture to it.

>What is even more ridiculous is that the tranq gun bypasses almost all of the complex enemy (AI) scenarios introduced in the same game.
Not quite. Enemies opt to simply wake the guy up if they find him over calling in, but radio reports are still a factor and the dense level design and enemy placement frequently mean that you have to move quickly after tranqing an enemy to avoid having them simply woken up again.

I actually don't care for the tranq gun much either overall, but it's a much lesser problem in MGS2 than in the games that followed. The way the series struggled with handling first-person aiming in general after MGS2 is the bigger issue than the tranq in particular, I think.

He's just a (You) slut, but it's hilarious that TTS fags are still coping with Cube buyers remorse

>MGS3 has the best of it.

1/10 made me reply

You bought hd collection? Please don't start 4 as your second mgs game, all you'll get is a shitty movie full of fanservice, and you won't even know the characters, like walking into a cinema just before the very end, it's a finishing arc, you gotta know characters and the whole conflict to enjoy it. 1 is the crucial game which really sets off the whole solid vs liquid thing. Go and play 1. It's pointless to continue mgs without playing it and preferably 2 too. That gamecube remake is more or less decent but it butchered the cutscenes, made them all retarded anime ninja jumps and shit, and there was enough of that in the original 1 really. Style is off. And the cutscenes is really where it's at in this series.

I think MGS1 is a pretty strong looking game thanks to its art direction, unstable polygons aside.

The controls and graphics in MGS2 are the same, and MGS1 controls are simple, but they're not bad and unplayable.

I just played through the whole series for the first time, and I thought MGS1 was by far the best experience. Epic music throughout the whole game, very story action driven, most unique and interesting characters, and some pretty challenging bosses and moments: fighting Cyborg Ninja for the first time, that stairway climb at the end, etc. Despite it's age, it feels like a very polished game.

All I was doing is either 3-2-4 or 3-1-2-4

There's also the annoyance that is buying MGS1 for $10 on PSN with no remastering or anything.

>you gotta know characters and the whole conflict to enjoy it
I knew the characters and the story going in and I still didn't enjoy it. In fact, that may have been a detriment to my enjoyment, since it became blatant that Kojima didn't give a shit and was done with the series and the fans. Fuck MGS4. What a fucking train wreck.

this tbf

You can emulate the thing on a toaster, why on earth would anyone buy it?

No it isn't. There isn't anything outstanding in mgs besides it's complex multi-layered plot with tons of characters who actually matter and who constantly interacting with each other and the world. It's silly in a lot of places, but it's still unique thing for vidya. And since that guy can't even play 1, he should at least watch the cutscenes of games that he won't probably play either (since a good chunk of the whole saga aged worse than 1 and plays even shittier in general).

Emulation isn't the same

Nigga come the fuck on.

They don't react to getting shot, seeing someone get shot, seeing someone get knocked down in front of them or finding someone knocked down. They just go wake them up like it's nothing, making it even easier for you to shoot THEM. It's 100% safe, if you want to be a shitter at this game you just enter a room and shoot everyone with tranq darts and you're done.

I still remember that MGS2 was the first game where i started playing MGS on the highest difficulty possible and that i quit my first playthrough on Normal halfway through after i cleared all of Strut D without moving an inch from the place i was put in after coming through the door. I was so disgusted that i had to quit then and there.

Well you must go the second route then. No point in playing 2 without 1, no point in playing 4 without 1-2. 1 is about solid and liquid, 2 is more about raiden (not counting tons of "back-plot", major zero and shit), 4 is the climax and the final.
Sure it's a lot worse than what could've been, but playing 4 without 1 and 2 is pointless. He won't know shit about what's happening and who are all those people. It's a direct continuation of the first two MGS games. He only played 3 so far, only BB, the boss and zero are rarely mentioned in 4 (they still matter, it's just that solid is constantly on screen, and a lot of characters like raiden, liquid, maryl or otacon, who OP haven't even met a single time yet, and won't if he skips 1-2), ocelot is there full-time sure, still it's retarded skipping from his first appearance in 3 to decades later into the very final, without any progression at all.

100% this BUT it did have some redeeming qualities like giving us a proper end series boss fight and spawning MGR. Unlike V which gave us nothing but grief

You're right, it's better.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting he skip 1 and 2, just venting a bit about the disappointment 4 was.

They do react if someone falls down in front of them though, IIRC. In a recent play through I kept getting game overs until I realized it was because one of the guards kept seeing the other fall from being tranq'd (I had set the game to Game Over when spotted).
>It's 100% safe
It's safer than using a lethal weapon or ghosting. I never argued otherwise. I was merely saying that MGS2 implicitly takes greater steps to counter it because of the way it operates in general. Like I said, I'm not a fan of the tranq gun. MGS2 just happens to handle it better than the games after it. My post was more modest than your "Nigga come the fuck on" hyperbolic reaction seems to suggest.

It's a cut to hell and back game, sure, but V is still decent for a final, continuing and bringing to logical conclusions a lot of themes of the series, the main one being identity. It's the point of transition from BB-centic to SS-centic universe, and it gave this whole series and it's double-sided feel really needing finishing touches as far as plot goes, even though they skip right through random repeat mission to it, and still left out a lot of stuff. 5 is better than no 5 at all. I personally played it like a birthday gift, kinda disappointing one sure, but it did the job of finishing the whole series from my childhood, and it also almost did the job of finishing gaming for me, because it's time to move the fuck on ffs I'm halfway into 30ies already and videogames are shit. Like and subscribe.

They literally do not, that only happens in 3 and it's only if they see them get knocked down. They still don't react to gigantic dart being fired at their chest or seeing a guard who is supposed to be on patrol for enemies lying face down in the mud.

They don't react to you missing the shot and hitting a surface near them in 2 either. Though i honestly can't recall if it's the same for real bullets.

I'd actually say MGS4 is as much of a sequel to MGS3 as it is MGS2. This is partly why the story is such a fucking mess; MGS3's significance is inflated to an unwieldy degree.

>They literally do not, that only happens in 3
I'd have to start the game up to check, but I'm pretty sure it happens in MGS2 as well. There's no other explanation for those alerts I can think of. I could be wrong though.

>5 is better than no 5 at all

It literally LITERALLY is not. Are you forgetting parasites? Are you forgetting Volgin? Are you forgetting kid Mantis meeting Kid Liquid who met not Big Boss?

V is a complete detriment to the series, the only things it added plot wise was the answer to a question no one asked and retroactively ruin already established plot points.

Story aside, MGSV still provides a new gameplay experience (whether you like it or not, and many people do).

Ghost Babel may be the best Metal Gear. Yeah it's in a different timeline, but you can make the new timeline as follows:

MGS3, MGPW, MGSV, MG1, and then Ghost Babel. It's a much better timeline.

MGR is the real 5.

youtube.com/watch?v=jPgDIWxgOYA

I love Ghost Babel, but its story only works with MG1 and GB itself. Peace Walker and MGSV don't make any sense with Ghost Babel's story in mind.

The Big Boss prequels in general partially revolve around additions to the plot introduced in MGS2 and MGS4.

>whether you like it or not

>Snake there is an armored convoy carrying something we need, your mission is to stop that convoy and retrieve the goods.
>Why don't you try throwing an inflated balloon version of yourself in the middle of the road, wait for the convoy to stop and then creating a fucking wormhole above each armored vehicle and watch as we i fucking beam those fucking tanks into our fucking mother base. I fucking love the 80s, what a fucking time to be fucking alive.

You're right, i don't.

Every Metal Gear game has bullshit technology though.

Yes it is inflated, and yes it is sequel to 3, and to any other MGS and, a bit less so, MG game before. Point is, it's a finishing arc, and you need to know if not everything, then at least the large chunk of what happened before. That large chunk is playing 3 mgs games and watching/reading about events that happened in-between 3 and 1 (if you for some reason can't/won't play the other games themselves), so that you can connect this mess of a plot into something half-coherent and enjoy (or not) the final.

It's kinda half-assedly done, sure, and there are a lot of "lucky coincidences" and outright bullshitty stuff, but I don't remember glaring plotholes that don't connect to the other games. If there are any - please list them, because that means I missed them.

Come to think of it...

Nah. 5 is still better than no 5 at all.

both of you are plebs.

MGS2 is supposed to be self-aware but it doesn't change the fact that the game is garbage. yes, some stuff is cool, the TECHNOLOGY, the trippy AI stuff, but at the end of the day it's just shit.

But it isn't garbage, you sopping wet turbo-teen pussy fart.

WORMHOLES

FUCKING WORMHOLES IN THE 1980s

It's not just retarded in our reality, it's just as retarded in the world of MGS. There is so much dumb disruptive shit in V for the sake of some pointless 80s reference.

>no i swear guyz its shit because its shit, im a high schooler i kno my shit!!!!!!

Each game is filled with silly pseudotechnologies, pseudoscience and almost magical stuff, it's just wasn't so in-your-face before V. It's a fucking japanese game, you can't expect gooks to do any piece of media about technologies without it descending into anime silliness. Go and replay first games if you don't believe me, you probably just played them as a kid and took those games like documentaries, same shit happened to me.

Uh huh
And 3 has a rocket icbm tank made of Unubtanium in 1964

Meh, I played MGS2 first and I was fine. But of course I already knew most of what happened in 1 so it wasn't that big of a deal.

There are vampires, cyberninjas, immensely powerful ancient snipers on their deathbed, soviet cowboys with super-aim, godlike leadership skills and magical hypnosis, that's just to start it off. What's up with the fulton tech? There was even an AI and mechas 5 times bigger than sahelanthropus before V timeline-wise.

Here's how people can tell your argument is bullshit: That you have to lie and embellish it and it still falls apart

is the Shagohod silly? Well of course it is. But what is the Shagohod? It's just a fucking tank that fire nuclear missiles. There is literally nothing special or inconsistent with the rest of the series about it.

IS THE SHAGOHOD FUCKING STAR TREK TECHNOLOGY BEING EMPLOYED IN 1980's AFRICAN BUSH WARS?

No, then don't try to come up with bullshit arguments for V being Creatively Bankrupt: The Game

>legit want to start a proper discussion about why people like 2 despite it being objectively shit
>all i get is shitty (You)'s
i've come full circle

The correct order is
>MGS3
>MGSVGZ
>MGSVTPP
>MG
>MG2
>MGS
>MGS2
>MGS4
>MGRR

Anyone who tells you different is a raging homosexual

Hey look, it's a bunch of shit that does not propel human kind civilization millennia into the future and is not a contradiction within it's own universe.

Also don't bring PW into this, that shit is V Light.

You didn't offer any actual reasons for why the game is "objectively" shit. You just showed up and called it shit. Why would anyone take your post seriously?

you're talking about the 80's as if it's some super distant far away past (which maybe it is because you're fucking 12)

are you forgetting about the sci-fi shit from the 80's, like the fucking president of the united states talking about a nuclear weapon defense system called the STAR WARS PROGRAM which despite being completely imaginary had a part in ending the cold war?

Pretty much this, although you can do GZ and TPP after that list. I can't guarantee you will be as satisfied.

Metal Gear 1 is very retro and kinda neat but a little underwhelming. Metal Gear 2 is fucking GOAT.

TRUE BALLERS, however, will do Babel after Metal Gear Solid and imagine it as Raiden's VR training. (Really I just want people to play Babel, easily the best game on GBC)

I WISH i was fucking 12 you underage

>Oh y-yeah? Well there was a program in the 80s called Star Wars s-so...

Embarrassing.

the game was a huge disappointment in the mainstream, with critics and fans. i don't really have to prove why the game is shit beyond what literally everyone else has already said. you have to convince everyone why it ISN'T absolute garbage, because you can't.

the self-aware post-modernist stuff is barely even fleshed out, it's basically a meme with the colonel saying shit like "lmao SSS isn't what you thought, seriously you've been playing the game for a long time now!". the first fucking game was also very self-aware but in an active way, with the controller massages, the mantis fight, etc. yes, mgs2 has a cool message, about memes, about context vs content, but the gameplay on its own is mostly shit

>sperg
you need to calm down, cringelord

I don't see how teleportation/wormholes is a deal breaker, while giant mechs, nanomachine magic, vampire magic, bee magic, magic magic, or any other number of crazy tech stuff in the previous games isn't.

>i don't really have to prove why the game is shit
Why not? Because you can't?
>you have to convince everyone why it ISN'T absolute garbage, because you can't.
Tightly designed, fast-paced sneaking with a thoughtful (if heavy-handed and in need of editing) story with a handful of great boss fights. Substance in particular also has a shitload of content.

>not playing metal gear in the release order

What the fuck user, are you okay?

How is the 3DS version of Snake Eater?

> not playing them in release order like everybody else

>I'm stupid

Well, what do you want me to say?

>Magic

Still putting forward made up arguments i see

>tightly designed
having tight spaces (which it doesn't have THAT often) doesn't mean tightly designed. most of the time you just run through an area, and because enemy sight is garbage (to balance for the fact that your sight is garbage because of the camera) nobody will see you. sometimes you just tranq someone in the head and you run to the next area and everything is A-OK, there are no alerts so nobody follows you, you're out of there before the radio guy calls for an investigation, it's so fucking easy, then you move on to a pre-requisite 'setpiece' section like, crawl on the floor and pick up the invisible mines, walk on some pipes, shoot some stuff to disable a few lasers, shoot a helicopter, have an easy boss fight, etc.

the mechanics that are in place are great, but you blaze through the different struts so fast that they never come into play. it's the opposite of tightly designed, it's sloppy because you get to cheese the stealth so bad it's not even funny. and 90% of the time all the "story" stuff is literally a parody of MGS1, so it's not even SUPPOSED to be good. It's like a nightmare that you can't wake up from.

>Still putting forward made up arguments i see
What? That was my first reply to you, and there IS magic in the series. You ok?

It runs at a silky smooth 15 frames per second.

>nobody will see you
Only if you have good timing. Enemies move quickly and are densely placed, and on higher difficulties are also somewhat more sensitive. Good luck running through carelelessly on European Extreme without getting your shit kicked in. Many of the VR missions (as well as the Snake Tales) are pretty demanding, too.
>all the "story" stuff is literally a parody of MGS1
But that's wrong. Raiden himself isn't a "parody" of MGS1, Stillman doesn't have any analogue in MGS1 at all, The Patriots and their goals are very different from Liquid (as is Solidus), and while the game has a similar existential bent to the original the themes at play are different.

I'm not the guy you're arguing with and I don't know your reasons because you're simply not revealing them.

But I think MGS2 is the best one in the series. I feel like you have to play a game at release to get the real magnificance of the game you're playing.
I don't mean day one, but to really appreciate what the game has going for it has to happen before it's "copied" into other games in a similar fashion.
I played MGS2 at release and I thought it was mind blowing at the time but that was over a decade ago and the industry has advanced so much that MGS2 really wouldn't hold it's own by today's industry standards.

But I don't fault you for not liking it.

Why are you even answering to him? He came here to literally shitpost and you're falling for the bait.

By "tightly designed" I think he means that the game is very straightforward in a very scripted fashion, but with some exploration (freedom of moving between struts).

The game manages to be interesting and good all the way through even though it's very much like a hallway in terms of interaction.

There literally isn't magic. Supernatural elements isn't the same as Gandalf, real or not they can and were integrated in the settings the games take place in. They are not out of place.

But hey guess what, V fucked that up too and there's no supernatural at all, only muh parasites XDDD

Trying to compare any of this ultimately inconsequential shit to something as retarded as wormhole technology just being brushed over like it's fucking nothing for muh ebin Star Trek pointless reference is, objectively, dumb.

My only guess is that you are like pic related, and started playing this series at 3 or 4 and think that MGS is all about the wacky crazy shenanigans XD.

>there IS magic in the series

It was always nanomachines. The only things not explained is the Cobra Unit and Psycho Mantis. It can be anything instead of magic as well.

Not the same guy, but you can refer to anything unexplained as magic. Stop sperging out about semantics.

Mantis and Volgin are LITERAL magic. Parasites only counted for Quiet, The End, and the Skulls.

You cannot possibly be this retarded.

>parasites
I totally forgot about them already.

>Mantis and Volgin are LITERAL magic
Being unexplainable doesn't mean literal magic. It can also mean something else like, say, nanomachines like Vamp in MGS2?

>being this much of a sperg

>Being unexplainable doesn't mean literal magic
That's typically what the word magic is used to describe.

>But that's wrong. Raiden himself isn't a "parody" of MGS1, Stillman doesn't have any analogue in MGS1 at all, The Patriots and their goals are very different from Liquid (as is Solidus), and while the game has a similar existential bent to the original the themes at play are different.
The superficial "story" is absolute slashfic tier garbage. you can discuss the themes and the meaning behind the game, but the """story""" is a joke

i'm sure if i had gotten it on my ps2 and it was like, one of the few games that i had, that i would beat it 20 times and love it, but i'm not that biased. i went through the series recently, by release order. mgs1 was annoying af because of the BULLSHIT, but it was a cool little fun game, i loved the codecs, i loved all the little moments like "how the fuck am i gonne get through this?", the "adorable" story (by adorable i mean, as good as you can get in a japanese video-game).

with mgs2, all the expectations were higher, i was honestly expecting a modern camera instead of the usual garbage, you still couldn't crouch, and fuck me if pulling off some moves didn't give you carpal tunnel (these are just a few of the complaints i haven't mentioned before).

MGS3 on the other hand was a fucking brilliant game, it elevated EVERY SINGLE GOOD THING ABOUT MGS to a new level. the bad things are still bad, like controls, camera, the story (on a superficial level), but it's just incredible. the silly "A Mk22, huh?" dialogue, the cool codecs about guns and movies, the details, like the food, medicine, fucking around with soldiers, the music, the moments of "how the fuck do i get past this?" (which can be solved in TONS of different ways and the game supports them all), it's a fucking 10/10 game.

>you can discuss the themes and the meaning behind the game, but the """story""" is a joke
You say that as if thematic content is divorced from the story. I know you're a shitposting turbo-teen, but even you can do better.

It's also funny to me that you celebrate MGS3 despite shitting on MGS2 as being poorly balanced; MGS3 is far more terribly balanced than MGS2 is.

How is it propelling civ into the future? I don't understand. It's a literal air balloon with some lights attached. You can make those things in real life, only they will be not so compact and won't inflate as fast. They pick them up in air in helicopters or something, and then deliver to base. Yeah it sounds retarded but that's how it works. It's "teleportation" only gameplay-wise, even then it takes time for stuff to actually reach motherbase. I don't understand how this is a tech breakthrough which should change humanity and psionics or walking deathrobots or parasites who grant magic powers aren't. The whole point is that whatever is shown in the games aren't available to the "public", "people" of that universe, and then a lot of things are happening deeper and aren't explicitly shown to you either. They can include whatever they want in an mgs game, then just make MC stop this bullshit in the final or at least postpone it, voila, world is at "peace".

You are correct, but there can be something else like a disease, an injection, a nanomachines.

MGS2 was impressive at release, man. It was on par with Jak & Daxter in terms of graphics technicality and it was literally MGS1 in terms of story and gameplay, but with an updated engine.

You've played SO MANY better games by now, so I know you can't get the same experience out of it.

Also, I played it through once with each difficulty because it wasn't all that long and it was fun to play.

>le Ebin no argument name calling

>no argument name calling
You mean like what you've been doing since the beginning with your sperg rants?

1 is worth playing. You forget about the graphics once you get into it. Play 1 before 2, but beware, the gameplay and graphics get better but I still have a hard time stomaching the Big Shell incident.

>skip TO Peace Walker

Nice reading comprehension

How about you play the fucking game you are trying to discuss? Can you do that for me, champ?

ITT "MGSV was muh first mgs game" faggots.

>shitposting turbo-teen
i don't even know wtf that means but i know you're projecting

>as if thematic content is divorced from the story
it is. the story is slashfic japanese-weirdness shitty anime written by a guy who has no writing qualifications.

even the thematic content isn't that deep and doesn't go beyond very basic "i have my anti-war principles!" teenage level thinking. kojima, aside from having no writing qualifications, has no other real qualifications either. he's not a military strategist, economist, diplomat, etc, he's just a jap who likes watching movies. the themes are fun, but super basic and half-baked.

mgs3 may not be perfectly balanced because it supports so many different things the player could do, it's very much an embracement of the creative thinking any player would have. mgs2 is supposed to be linear and tense and well thought out. it's not.

i like to think i can take myself back to the time of release with any game i play. i mean, i like mgs1 & 3, i like Deus Ex, i like Thief. mgs2 is just not good

>it is.
It's not. It's not even divorced from the plot in particular, since the themes manifest through scenarios and characters involved in the plot. You can dislike the themes (or the game's treatment of them) if you want to, but they're not divorced from the story.
>mgs2 is supposed to be linear and tense and well thought out. it's not.
I think it is, though. Especially on higher difficulties and in the side content. It's certainly a far more satisfying game to play for me than MGS3 is, in any case.

It's "psionics", a media trope (sorry for that word). Like magic, only not so flashy and can be kinda "explained" by science. Like an anomaly. You can't pick up a scroll or read a book, and then you'll be able to cast fireball. You can't cast fireball at all in most cases. It's like you're born with it most of the time. It's either light shit like move an object, jump higher and move faster, detect things, kinda "read" thoughts; or something weird, dangerous and unpredictable, something that fucks with user himself most than with anybody else. Mantis is the second case. Volgin, too. They aren't mages or wizards, they are dangerous anomalies, one of a kind, that's all.
In a series which deals with the muh top secret shit, constantly showing off cool tech and high-level small-scale intrigues which define where unimaginable amounts of wealth and power go in it's imaginary universe, it would've been weird to NOT include psionics, actually.

>replying to a post made 4 hours ago

I couldn't get into Deus Ex, but that's just me.
Every time I remember MGS2, I do so fondly. It might not be the sequel MGS deserved, but it's the last mainline MGS that had it's story going into a direction before Kojima decided to scrap everything 1984 only to bring the theme back when it was too late.

best path is 3 -> 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> GZ + V

What is that? FOB missions or something? I only played SP, never seen that, and it's never mentioned that fulton is wormholes in SP. You're probably just fucking with me at this point anyway.

Does anyone in this cesspool ever play the video games they get into heated arguments about?

If i say i am fucking with you will you fuck off from this thread with your pointless opinions about things you don't know?

Mainline MGS storyline all revolves around the theme of "being used."

>MGS
Snake sent to Shadow Moses by ominous agency and even Liquid pulling Snake's chain from the start.
>MGS2
All about the story, really. Raiden as a pawn to mimic the Shadow Moses incident and him choosing his own way at the end.
>MGS3
The Boss is all about being a pawn for the sake of her country, BB chooses his own way at the end again.
>MGS4
Snake is being rused by Liquid again, who is actually Ocelot all along and their "roles" in bringing shit down.
>MGS5
The player is literally used as a replacement for BB.

See the pattern here?

Oh, okay, googled it, it's researchable after side ops and meeting requirements. Ok. Didn't grind that far enough, stopped playing after finishing the plot.
Still, my point stands. DD is an elite military group, top of the world, doing they own researches with the help of best minds of mankind, they didn't release the magic secret to public and just continued to use that, then got destroyed, end.
That's if for some reason you aren't satisfied with it being just another millionth goofy next-to-easter-egg shit kojima added in it's series.

If you haven't gotten these, you haven't finished the plot.

>It's not. It's not even divorced from the plot in particular
i know, i was just trying to allude to the fact of how laughable the story really is, and it's like that with pretty much all japanese media aside from some old kino (if you'll excuse the Cred Forums term).

i love mgs3 and find it to be probably the most replayable game of all time, and i guess we'll leave it at that.

deus ex 1 is fantastic. it's kinda similar to mgs1 and 2 in some ways, with a focus on stealth (that you don't really have to commit to), a big conspiracy story, kind of silly but through a western scope instead of a japanese one, so instead of anime characters fighting each other it's a cyborg in a trenchcoat talking to a bartender about globalism. in terms of gameplay, it gives unrivaled freedom, a lot of times i wasn't even sure that i wasn't breaking the game

The reason shit like iDroids etc. don't exist in other MGS is because that shit was kept secret by the Patriots.

The Patriots were guiding humanity by supressing technological advances.

>and it's like that with pretty much all japanese media aside from some old kino
Read some Japanese literature. There's plenty of classics. Japan isn't just video games and anime.

It requires 40 lvl platforms man, what that has to do with the plot? I fultoned a shitton of guys, still I was in the 30-something when the bb took the bike.
I really need to play all MG games sometime it seems.

I like Deus Ex' setting and all things cyberpunk but the game itself looks AND feels like a late 90's western RPG.

I don't mind the graphics that much since the artstyle is great, but the fact that it's an FPS with heavily visible RPG elements and overall a bit clunky gameplay just turned me off.

The UI and the Engine just made me want to play Skyrim to balance it out.

yes, evidently i meant outside of old movies and books. i'm actually reading a book that talks about the history of japanese theater (kabuki) now

You unlock new cutscenes with platforms. I know, but it's technically plot.

>it's another "starts with MGS3" player
Good lord

>FPS with heavily visible RPG elements
make no mistake, this is not an FPS with RPG elements, this is an RPG with FPS elements.

skyrim is not an RPG, skyrim is a shit game
so is fallout 3 and 4

for a real RPG, check fallout new vegas

What is skullfaces backstory? All I know is that he was in fox during snake eater

mgs3 babbies are fucking cancer to the fanbase, so are chronological order faggots

Ok it's ugly, but is the story worth checking out?

Experience everything in the order in which it was commercially released. This is the answer every fucking time. There's is no way to go wrong doing this.

N-no, what the fuck.... Didn't you just finish watching some retarded shit happen in front of your eyes? None of that happens in 1.

Just play 1, it has better cutscenes, better voice acting and believe it or not better gameplay because it's an actual game made from scratch game and not the controls of one game copy pasted into the level and enemy design of another.

Unless this is OP talking, then don't play any of them and KYS for being an actual graphics whore.

That's not even what he said but you're a fucking retard for defending PW either way.

Since you played 3 first, you should read a summary of MG1/MG2 -> 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> read a summary of PO/PW -> 5

>@
>>>/reddit/

MG2 is definitely worth playing.

Why not just play them in order in the first place you stupid sperglord faggot?

What's wrong with it ?

Also Ac!d is best non main metal gear.

OP don't actually kill yourself though, you may be the lowest of the low in vidya but i don't want that on my conscience. Play MGS1, redeem your graphic whore ways.

See, I liked New Vegas.

It's just that Deus Ex hasn't aged well.

Fine autists, I'll buy and play MGS1 from PSN.

All I really want to do is play the one that's clearly the best art statement of the series though (2)

MGS1 and 2 are essentially one game. You'll know why once you play them back to back.

MGS ghost babel its god-tier