Dragon Quest VII thread

DQVII thread. How's the game going for you so far?
I heard people saying it took hours before fighting the first monster but frankly it took me less than one hour, and I am the type of guy that reads every dialogue line, sometimes two times in a row.

Piratefags allowed, as long as you talk about the game and story.

Other urls found in this thread:

wikiwiki.jp/dqdic3rd/?�ڼ�͸���DQ7�ˡ�
youtube.com/watch?v=w6CkFsgAEwY
youtube.com/watch?v=dxaRxjcvIR4
tinycartridge.com/post/5885571735/why-nintendo-replaced-the-sword-in-dragon-quests
youtu.be/FePJs7v_aGo
youtube.com/watch?v=_KC5kE5Rquc&feature=youtu.be&list=PL8NVjOUUv_U0XlJzuQ5UtnGWdBnY3foUA&t=252
dragon-quest.org/wiki/Conkuisitor
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Alright game, took awhile to actually get started but I'm liking the individual story developments and party chat.

desu, if you read every line of dialogue and tried to get every item, I don't believe you got to the first monster under an hour.

>that first island story
Poor Molly

So there are two questions no one seems to be able to answer.

1. What does Style do?
2. Why does it take Ruff so much experience to level up after a while? And will this persist for the rest of the game? He's 10 levels below the rest of my party at the moment and requires more exp to level up than it would take any other party member to level up twice.

Someone in the Haven mentioned a singing guy in a town full of machines, but I can't find him in Faraday Castle or Frobisher, does anyone know where he is/what he looks like

you are playing the 3ds version the psx version took hours before the first encounter if you didn't know what to do

1. Style is needed for contests in a later story area and lets you distract enemies if you're a certain class
2. In DQ different characters have different exp curves, he's just balanced to take longer than the rest to level

>Preorder from Amazon
>Still hasn't even shipped yet

man fuck their Prime Shipping

I heard the intro was going to be botched so I went ahead and played through the start of PSX version before hand.

Intro was dumbed down too much. While the original game's intro is pretty drawn out, the character interactions, the rich atmosphere, and unique puzzle's more than make up for it.

The remake's intro has less character interaction for the sake of brevity, but this means you get less time to get to know these characters and the world, and the sense of comfort in the starting island is all but lost in the process.

The puzzle element in the first dungeon was replaced with a fetch quest. At least in the original game you spend that time exploring a new exciting and mysterious dungeon instead of running back and forth uninspired and uninteresting hallways back and forth.

I also felt the addition of an assistant to put in the slabs makes the whole temple feel a lot less mysterious. It feels unnecessary considering that there was nothing confusing about it in the original game and feels like a pointless "fix" that hurts the atmosphere more than it helps.

It actually reminds me a lot of Majora's Mask 3DS, which, unlike the balanced aproached of OoT 3DS, went out of its way to change several aspects of the game in an effort to "fix" some "flaws" that were never really problems to begin with, and ended up changing the game's tone in the process.

Where do you live? I've never had issues with preorders coming late from them

I love to bully Maribel.
>Answer no when she asks if I was listening to her
>Go to annoy her while she sleeps

>1. Style is needed for contests in a later story area and lets you distract enemies if you're a certain class
Someone actually posted that earlier and I thought it was a joke. There's contests, seriously?

>2. In DQ different characters have different exp curves, he's just balanced to take longer than the rest to level
Oh, well. I've only played DQ8 and that never seemed to be a thing there. I'm gonna get really annoyed if Ruff stays 10 levels under my other party members.

This. That's what I did and it took me almost 2h. In the original it took about 5 but it was tedious, long and useless.

I just got to the island of overpowered robots, when do you get classes and other stuff? I know DQ RPGs get pretty in depth and I'm starting to get frustrated with how boring combat is right now.

I admit I never played the original. But frankly, I accept the intro as it is. Maybe I missed some details but the bone of the story is there and I got enough background about most characters to understand their behaviours and enjoy the ride.

The gap will gradually get smaller since the exp everyone needs increases exponentially anyway so at some point the difference in total experience between them will only be a couple levels' worth

I'm already at a point where Ruff is level 12 and everyone else is level 16

And is that really that surprising, this game is all about wildly different locales with their own wacky gimmicks and shenanigans

When does 8 come out on the US? I'm getting the Pokemon Sun and Moon New 3DS XL next month for SM and was looking forward to getting some other RPGs, like the DQ games.

Hawaii

You get classes after Kiefer dies

feeling like a moron but what do I do after taking the boat to ballymollay (in the present)? see one guy asking for the rainbow mine stuff but they wont let me in.

Explore the village and talk to everyone in it

Island with the robots is the 5th island, you get to change classes when you finish the 8th island.

>I checked the spoiler
Nope, time to leave the thread

heading in to town to pick it up in a little bit. its a rainy Sunday so looking forward to having a comfy time getting into it.

I'm assuming that's soon? God I hope so.

Weird follow up question, how much grinding is expected of me? As previously stated, I'm on robot island and everyone except Ruff is 12-13. Ruff is 5.

>I also felt the addition of an assistant to put in the slabs makes the whole temple feel a lot less mysterious

Fucking this. Wandering around the place and inserting stuff randomly and huge lights coming outta nowhere with no explanation is much better than a fucking bee telling you what to do.

Still a great game but I'm glad I played the original

You can pretty much get through the game without ever grinding as long as you don't run away from or actively avoid getting into battles along the way

Personally I always end up being a bit overleveled because I have a compulsion to grind outside of every new town until I can afford to gear up my whole party with the best gear available, but you definitely don't have to do that

Does anybody know how to use monster hearts to change your class into those? I've found 2 from treasure chests but I can't use them and talking to the High Priest doesn't give me the option.

That's basically what I'm doing. So I'm probably going overboard and can stop if I really want to but shit, those lances sound so nice right now.

I heard the remake is easier than the original where you never really needed grinding aside from a few weird difficulty spikes with bosses here and there.

I was dumb...You need to say "no i dont need rainbow rocks" and the guy gives you the slab

Eh it's probably gonna be a couple more hours.
You've got two more pretty standard islands and then you go to hell and after you get through it you can finally change vocations.

>Maribel is sleeping soundly, it looks like she won't be waking up for a long time
>Kick the bed?

Took me around an hour to get to a fight.

The PS1 version takes THREE? Good grief, how?

Block puzzles(I think.) and something else. But I forget.

Wait til you get stone people or robots and that's just the beginning of the feels.

The first 2-3 hours are backtracking, puzzle solving, and a lot of text.

I was dying to play DQ7 for a while.
I knew I could emulate it on PC no problem but I heard of a 3DS version.
Had hope it will come to UK so I can play it and damn I'm glad I did. This game is fucking great and the story is nice.

Haven't unlocked jobs yet. Just done the island with all the herbs and shit and the pussy boy running away from his lover. 13 hours in.
Bosses haven't given me any trouble.
Just had the girl spam sap and my MC spam buff and heal when necessary.

I really fuckin love DQ, I've been playing through the series since the beginning of last year starting with 1 and working through release order and I'm almost done with V.
One thing I wanted to know about this entry since I learned about its length is the padding. How bad is it?

I'm 14 hours into the game and I just finished the Robomech...I mean 'Automaton' island. The game is much easier than the PS1 version or I'm just much better at using skills/gear than I was 10 years ago.

That aside, everything about the game has been an improvement so far. The graphical overhaul is not just adding 3D models, but full reactions and expressions to characters. Which this game more than any other needed that improvement. Especially for Maribel. I also usually hate dialects but I'm not really caring much about them in this game. Except the 'Italian' island was a little heavy handed.

In all, this is definitely another great remake for DQ. Took my least favorite DQ game and is turning it into one of my favorites.

Was the doll on PS1? I played though DQ7 twice on ps1 and don't recall the warrior woman giving me that. I also remember her being hard as hell but sometimes wasted turns so I used the doll on 3ds expecting her to lose attack or skip more turns or something but it just straight ended the fight

Wait, the doll could end the fight? Fuck man, that's cool.

Probably got lost in a volcano or eaten by a seal.

Sucks dude.

Gabo is a lot stronger than everyone else at level 1. And being a lower level is good for your average level when it comes to job growth. He's purposefully made that way so that incase you grinded early or before you got to Dharma you still have a way to be below area averages and get job exp

New played DQ games before but I generally like jrpg games
Should I pick this up?

What would you say is good level to be at for the animal village island?

Everyone is at 10.

>Doll ends the fight

Why didn't I know about this?
Did like 200hp of Damage before my fight was over.

If you don't use the doll and just kill her, she never attacks, just alternates between defending and doing nothing, and she has barely any HP, died in 3 turns for me

How long until you get the old guy? He seems like a cool dude.

40% through the game if I remember correctly.

The ruins actually was a dungeon with puzzles and stuff originally before you got to the tablet pedestals. And you had to earn the items the statues wanted rather than just walking to a spot on the map and going into a hole to get them. It was a full fledged place and even had a traveller's diary for you to save at in the center. Actually kinda sad that's gone and I'm not a huge fan of the new pedestal system

I literally just cancelled Prime, it's not the first time they've shipped my stuff so late. 2 Day Shipping my ass

Damn man.

There's still some tedious shit.
They could have easily ommited visiting the graveyards at the beginning and instead have matching puzzle with the statues.

>save game
>turn off system
>come back the next day
>reload game from last save
>game remembers the tilted position of the camera instead of automatically centering it

Literally the first time I've ever seen a game do this.

I'm a massive fan of the new pedestal system since the biggest annoyance in the PS1 game was having to walk through 10 screens to leave the shrine and 10 screens to come back to a pedestal. And each pedestal had its own room...

is the MC's name Arus or Auster?

Arus was the canon name in ps1 days and used in the manga. Auster is used on the official website for the 3DS version.

which is considered "more" canon?

>but frankly it took me less than one hour
You must've rushed through, then.

I've explored every area I've had access to and spoken to all NPCs and exhausted their dialogues. I'm 4:30 into my save file and haven't been in a fight yet.

I don't mind slow games. DQ is great, and I hope anyone who pirated it instead of buying it kills themselves.

Do you call them Babbles or Bubble Slimes?

who cares

I honestly don't remember. I haven't played in a long time. My 3ds playthrough is a lot of "Oh I'm starting to remember" but exactly specifics I don't know. I even went the wrong way in the volcano because I remembered a dead end path going to a chest so I went the right way thinking that was the chest path.

You shouldn't need to grind outside of maybe the clockmech area though. There's iron gear for sale and it's all expensive and the clockmechs are strong. That and maybe grinding for Dharma itself since it's got a hard boss fight at the end.

I'll put some general advice for people playing for the first time under some spoilers from what I remember

Keifer leaves, so don't use seeds on him. Maribel will be gone for a good chunk of the game but does come back so she might lag behind if you want to use her at the end. There are a few villages where your decisions matter for its state in the present. You can completely wipe out some towns because of this. I'll toss an extra spoiler if you want to avoid one in pariticular at the end.

The area around dharma doesn't have a level cap for job exp on ps1, not sure about 3ds but I would hope they didn't remove that. So if you want to job grind do it there since its low exp too.And I don't know if they still have advanced skills on 3ds but if you mastered dancer and then gain a rank on I think warrior you would learn sword dance which is an amazing skill to get early until you get quad hits.

And then this is the extra spoilerI mentioned in the spoiler above so don't open this unless you really want to. In the village where they want to kill the baby worm monster you should pick to defend it and protect if you want that town to live. It is a pretty tough boss fight if you want to fight it,but that dooms the town and I think keeps you from being able to make the monster park

i havent played the game yet, been on the character naming screen for 40 minutes trying to figure this out

Anyone know how to get that chest on the small ledge on the right side as you enter town to visit the king on the first island?

I'm guessing you go down the well once those two old nagging ladies are gone.

Is this your first DQ game ever then? I asked that because Babble/Bubble Slime is an enemy that's been in every DQ game but the old (PS1 era) games localized it as Babble and the modern ones localize it as Bubble Slime, there's a lot of shit like that, the translations stay consistent

If you're not a purist that swears by the old translations just go with the new name

There's nothing down that well except a mini medal or something, I think you need to get the thief's key and open the locked door in that tunnel leading to the hermit's house to get over there

Each pedestal having its own room made the final and ??? tablets even cooler to find since i had no idea where they went. Mostly miss the dairy since it gave you a place to save at the ruins

I name male DQ mcs Enix

>tfw i accidentally flee during the Maeve fight

from a story standpoint im fine with it but...my exp

She's not worth exp. Also don't worry about exp early off, just try and make smart use of your money. You don't want to overlevel

I just checked and yes, the area around alltrades abbey stops giving job exp on characters at or above level 20 so no grinding around there anymore. Hero and Maribel were level 21 getting no job points but Gabo was level 19 still getting them.

I wish the monster tablets gave you recommended levels or something, I just entered one with the purple horned rabbits expecting it to be easy since those are usually early game enemies and was immediately greeted with a purple monkey that threw nuts for 100 damage to my whole party and wiped me in 2 turns

You can ignore those two very quickly, they don't stop you after like, the first or second time you visit.

I obsessively grind in every dq game, ever since I got my ass kicked by geyzer in dq8 as a kid its become a learned habit

so what are the chances we get dqm3 now?

I though the same thing too. But honestly, I feel overlevelled because the encounter rate is much higher than the original PSX version.

>ever since I got my ass kicked by geyzer in dq8 as a kid
Are you me?

I want to protect Ruff's smile.

i wished i hadn't checked that spoiler so much, fuck. i'm going to miss him ;_;

He's goofing you

my little user can't be this easily rused

Fuck Hawaii, basically. I never have problems with Prime living in a civilized area.

oh thank god it's a lie

This is what I loved about DQ. It seems very simple, but you really ought to gear up if you want to fight a boss. Had a lot of fun grinding the fuck out of slimes and shit in DQ8's beginning just to get the Boomerang so random encounters would be easier. Then I grinded even more since grinding becomes easier with a Boomerang and saved enough gold to equip everyone with the best armour and weapons in town, stock up on medicinal herbs and I fucking beat the shit out of Geyser. I love this system. Most JRPGs just give you great weapons for free, in DQ you have to grind dat gold before you can even get your party the best equipment.

>yfw the T in Dragon Quest isn't a sword in the west anymore

>That feel when the localizers change all the names half the time I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Kinda annoying sometimes.

>ask god where the next tablet frag is
>Go to Grotta del Sigillo my son
>go there
>tablet finder doesn't glow
>nothing there but skinny mcVoicefag

help

>Having no easy way to track the tablets down
>At most having to rely on some old bitch giving you shitty hints

You kids have it easy with them tablets now. You have no idea. That tablet hidden in a pot inside a random house's basemente almost made me drop the game.

>every enemy in the game has a unique death animation if you kill them with a critical
>the final Automaton dungeon looks just like the dome in Chrono Trigger

man fuck the robot island. autonymus was a complete asshole yet everyone pretends he is the victim and it only gets worst in the future when the king was right in embracing technological progress but the story paints him like the bad guy. i wanted to leave the idiot in jail but i knew he was gonna give me a tablet for helping him hinder technological evolution.

open the coffin

Next year

You think that's bad? I was using the official strategy guide. And in order to be 'spoiler free', the guide would only give you a hint. And those hints often sent you on a wild goose chase.

The hints would be as stupid as "Its found on a continent you've been before; Hint, Hint." Holy fuck, you mean its in one of 14 different land masses? And you're not even gonna tell me which one? Or even give me a hint where it is on said continent? And the end result is a hidden tablet under the Sphinx. Thanks for the great hint!

Worst fucking guide ever printed.

You did go and talk to E.L.L.I.E. after right?
She says thank you in lowercase showing she actually does have some sort of life.

>Worst fucking guide ever printed.
Even more then FF9's Play online guide?

I already opened the coffin and retrieved all the benefits from doing so, but god is telling me that there's still more there.

Not as bad as the Kingdom hearts 2 strategy guide.

Go back to the curved path leading to the coffin room, north of the entrance you used is another area with a piece. I know I missed it at first.

Well did you find the one in there in the past on your first run through then

ah i played DQIX in middle school but wasnt aware of those localization changes. i asked this same question on multiple websites and apparently Auster is just an NoA thing, in that case they probably used Arus in japanese advertisements for the remake so im just going to use Arus

>the new Fire Festival uses fire hat instead of regular torch
Huh, neat.

Can we ban midis?

>I totally forgot that there's a past version of the map

FUCK

Is there any reason to ever NOT use Keifer's Flame Slash ability? It just seems to do more damage for no cost whatsoever.

NoA had nothing to do with the localization of this game, all new names are Squenix official

enjoy your nocrits

Never ever.

Oh so it can't crit? That would be a drawback I hadn't noticed. Thanks!

Is it possible to change the controls and use the new 3ds c stick for the camera?

no

welp. i just got tired of talking to npc's after the past section since all of them basically said ''fuck this robots''. previous islands had interesting stories and characters that made talking to every npc and using the party chat worth it but the robot one dragged for too long and wasn't engaging at all, on the bright side the difficulty seems to be raising steadily. i liked the double boss fight.

darn

so was the name change from Arus to Auster in the japanese promotions as well? or did his name stay the same over there?

Not that bad, the DQ7 one at least had maps. But it had absolutely nothing for postgame besides a semi-complete bestiary. Didn't even tell you where the ??? tablets were, just told you they existed

>Was the doll on PS1
It was. Dunno if it could be used in battle, though.

Yeah I felt the same way, the robot episode just seemed to go on for too long.

I've never seen Austure mentioned in Japanese materials, and I only see Alus mentioned here wikiwiki.jp/dqdic3rd/?�ڼ�͸���DQ7�ˡ�

>I'm 4:30 into my save file and haven't been in a fight yet.
That's longer than the original game, dude. What were you doing?

I didn't want to kill maeve

why would Japanese ads care about western name changes

The name changes are exclusive to the localizations but the localizations are done by Squenix themselves and completely official, neither is 'more canon'

That's what I was getting at with the Babble/Bubbleslime thing earlier

Squenix takes more liberties with their DQ localizations compared to other JRPG series that go for more literal and direct translations, but they're doing it to try to maintain a certain atmosphere without losing something in translation

Loving it so far, automaton island is feeling like a slog right now, though.

>Just spent close to an hour grinding outside Greenthumb Gardens to get enough gold to buy a second Edged Boomerang

Why do I do this

Crit chance is so low anyway. It doesn't mater.

I'm currently in the present of the island with Maeve and stuff. Really enjoying the game despite being a little archaic in terms of menus and combat.

Although I assume combat will get a ton more fun and "complex" later on?

For now it feels like a very comfy JRPG, where you just travel from place to place as if they're episodes. After having seen the pedestal room, I assume this game is just 20 ish seperate stories following each other up?

Nervous classes are implemented too late for them to become a full-fledged part of the game, though...

Because you love JRPGs in all their stupid design decision.

ah i see, thank you for all the help! im usually anal with following the original stuff for games so im going to use Arus. now im going to gtfo this thread before i get spoiled

This is why I miss Gold multiplier cheat on DS flashcart.

So I have a physical copy of the game.

Is there any way to play with the orchestral music?

>tfw you rolled high in luck
>never win the lottery but always land crits in video games

I love it

Spam square with emails begging for a patch to fix the music

You'll eventually have more choices and more freedom to use abilities without running out of MP before a dungeon.

Make a HANS patch for the game yourself

I've played 5,6, and 8. Never finished any of them. I usually just stop playing for whatever reason after a few hours. Should I even bother with 7?

It's a long game, so while we would like you to buy it to help more games come out, I couldn't in good faith recommend it if you've never beaten 3 other DQ games.

I can't find the auto-battle button/option. Is there even one?

>Oh no everyone turned back into animals again!
>Oh wait never mind they are all just furries

FUCKING KEK

Fair enough. I'll just save my money for SMT4A on Tuesday.

Closest you get is going to Tactics and setting something to everyone, you still have to give the hero commands though but you can just mash A

>no option to turn off the music
Why?

set everyone to fightwisely/don't use magic then mash a

>Just 20 stories
>Classes too late to be a full-fledged part of the game

Both are incorrect. You get classes about 340 hours in but it's not even the halfway point yet.

8 is the only one i finished out of all the ones i tried. give up hope, its not your series

>I poisoned them all
>creepy music starts playing
>it was just a joke
Honestly it would have been better than what we got.

Well, I suppose that's OK. Thanks.

Why would you want no music in DQ of all games? It's one of the few franchises with an actual legendary composer behind it instead of a college dropout that couldn't make it to any other sort of media

Because it sounds like the music was using a snes sound font

>340 hours

Yo be real with me here, this version is basically 80 hours right?

>implying she doesn't deserve it

why is the game trying so hard to make me not like her

They gave the Mud Mannequins some neat animations this time around

Also is it just be or are all of Ruff's abilities besides his Howl fucking useless?

More like 100 hours compared to the original's 120.

Classes are about 30 hours in.

You should get classes at around 17-19 hours and that's supposed to be 1/5 to 1/4 way through the game.

Sic 'Em is basically a Whip attack that goes off of the attack power of whatever weapon you have equipped and doesn't have any damage dropoff regardless of how many it hits

>the final Automaton dungeon looks just like the dome in Chrono Trigger

Fitting considering it's literally an out of this world tech built by demons from the demon world.

>Retro styled RPG
>Remake of a retro styled RPG
>has the same damn sound effects from the original NES game
>menu aesthetics, character designs, basically unchanged throughout most of the series

>the music similar to an older console's soundchip is now bad

It's actually not as bad as I expected. I thought they were putting the music through some NES chiptune filter or some shit but it's basically PS1 soundfont quality.

Do I have much longer to go for classes if I'm in the ntr island aka the garden island?

LEL HE PAID MONEY FOR A GAME HE COULD GET FOR FREE ON A PLATFORM WITH NO TROPHIES/CLOUD SAVES/MUSIC/SOCIAL FEATURES

MORALFAGS CONFIRMED 100% KEKED,

If your going to remake a game remake the music too.

You're obviously deaf and should mute the music.

His regular ass Boomerang still seems to be stronger than Sic' Em with Iron Claws equipped. Maybe it'll get better when I get some better weapons for him, I dunno.

you have to go back

You'll know it when you reach Dharma Temple

You step inside and instantly get classes. Kinda anticlimatic.

but they did?

>You step inside and instantly get classes. Kinda anticlimatic.

Kek.

It is remade you idiot. Its Synth versions of the Symphonic Suite. Its not the original PS1 music.

It actually took more effort than just using the symphonic suite itself. Though no one knows why they did it.

I'm playing the game now and they clearly didnt

They did, retard`
youtube.com/watch?v=w6CkFsgAEwY

>the stone island in present
...well that's pretty fucking depressing. Would things have been different if it were a loli who got revived instead?

but they did
it's not the same as the ps1 version at all

So they remade the music and then made it into midi?
Why the fuck would anyone do that?

Mommy caught you trying to reach into her purse?

Jesus Christ what is happening to all the monsters I'm sending to the monster village? I must have sent like 5 or so there and I just visited and NONE of them are there.

Are they being abducted midway?

I don't think you even know what MIDI is

The old guy in the hut mentions that they don't even have anyone to look after the monsters yet. I think maybe you need to find a certain migrant first? I have up to the chef and I don't think the next guy has appeared in the town he's supposed to be in yet.

So I gotta go back and revisit older towns every so often to look for new npcs?

Basically talk to the last NPC you brought to the town and they'll give you a hint on where to find the next one.

Let me guess, the very last island is our starting island but in the past.

HERE COMES THE SUICIDE SQUAD

THIS SERIES NEVER TOOK OFF IN THE WEST BECAUSE IT'S GENERIC BORING SHIT. YOUR PURCHASE NETTED YOU NOTHING, MEANS NOTHING BESIDES A LIGHTER WALLET.

HERE COME THE STRETCHERS NOW #BODIED

Why do people have online breakdowns over having to buy a thing at the store?

Beginning was too fucking long, but you begin to forget when the game finally let you get into battles. I'm about 3 hours in and thoroughly enjoying it

>alcohol references in a Nintendo game

Whoa.

I had him level up twice in the space of just a few battles a bit later on. He's starting to catch up with the others.

I wish to adopt Ruff.

Man, I was buying a game at a store ten years ago and a gay dude touched my ass and winked at me. I'm never going back after that.

>Kiefer NTRs a guy and leaves your party permanently

Dick.

He is pretty selfish at that bit yes,

Rated E10 for Mature.

Well, he's a prince.

>actually rated M in Australia

Top fucking kek

There's a dick joke in the game too.

Also, that Statue Island's ending wasn't happy at all...IT'S WORSE IS PRESENT TIME.

It's ok user, if too much buyers remorse is welling up inside you just go enjoy your new game with the fully orchestrated soundtrack

cucked out of that too huh?

Does it run/look better or new 3ds or is it the same?

Protip: During the part where you're looking for a traveling bard you can buy some expensive piece of equipment in a shop. I don't remember what it is, I want to say a gauntlet, but I'm not sure. Use it as an item in battle and it'll cast Merami (I don't know the English name. Second level fire spell). Devote one or two of your characters to using those for MP-free Merami spam and have fun.

punk bitch

Runs better if you have CFW on a N3DS so you can force it to run better
Otherwise it originally came out way before the N3DS was out so no

Don't really care about the music. Idk what other projectionist tricks you got left?

>game has a reference to eating meat
>game has a scifi setting
>game has a fully clothed girl in it
>Rated Mature in AUS

I'm surprised you guys even have a rating board there.

What's the point of that little flying faggot at the stone pedestals anyway?
He never even gives me any hints on which pieces I'm missing.

>just get back from saving the first island
>people start talking about how protag's dad went to the castle to talk about a new island appearing in the sea
>first idea is to go talk to the hermit about it
>Keifer apparently had the same idea
Neat.

In the original game every pedestal was in a separate room and the whole shrine was way bigger. Which meant more loading screens trying to navigate it.

I do think they should've just put all the pedestals in one room for you to check instead of having that fairy dude though.

Yeah I played the PS1 version. The fact that he won't give me any hints despite there being an option for it is annoying and pointless though.

Oh I never even noticed he had an option for hints.

>the T only gets changed when Nintendo publishes the series
>it's okay when nintendo does it :^)
I don't even know why they do that.

Just saved Bollymolloy or whatever, kinda taking it slow since I'm trying to finish Phoenix Wright as well. Trying to savor DQ7 though and make it last through these fall and winter months

He won't give you any if you've already gotten all the pieces.

It's the "Ask for Guidance" option.

I just got the green gem for the kid. Really love the game so far

He wouldn't give me any even when I was missing pieces. There's an option in the info menu that just tells you where the shards are which is why I have no idea why he's even there.

I've been wondering whether to get this or not, I've only played 3 a long time ago but stopped since a I was a filthy casual back then and 9 which I dropped about 50 hours in because fuck all those damn grottos and trying to get 100% in the Alchemy book.

Will I like this one?

I've just finished the animal village segment and looking for the fragments in the modern day city

Really fun game so far, wish the mc was customisable though

youtube.com/watch?v=dxaRxjcvIR4

Most people recommend starting with 5 or 8. You could give 3 another shot too.

7's a great game but it's fucking LONG, even with the 3DS version speeding things up significantly.

What does she mean? By saying "I feel thick"

I feel sick

Of course you're better at games you've already played ten years ago you twat.

Is it better than VI?

Because Nintendo thought it was childish.

tinycartridge.com/post/5885571735/why-nintendo-replaced-the-sword-in-dragon-quests

yes, very much

Who else get the abstinence puzzle right away?

>video game company that make kids games think a SWORD LIKE T is childish
I have nothing against Nintendo, but seriously?
You just can't make this shit up.

MIDI isn't what you think it is m8. Most video games use MIDI.

I'm curious, does the DQ8 port add your party trailing behind you? I actually like how that looks a lot in the 7 remake

Yeah that's what I've heard, I guess I'm better off waiting for 8 to be localized but I've really been itching to play a good rpg, which is why I'm considering to skip the wait.

No, but in return they removed their terrible music from the western release

>Reformed Former Monster Island

How the fuck do monsters turn into humans?

kys cis scum.

Dragon Quest VII is basically the same thing as Dragon Quest VI. But with 4x more content and a better use of the dual world mechanic. You can think of it as an improved version of DQVI.

You could emulate 5 pretty easily, it's not too long so you should easily be able to finish it before 8 is out.

By wishing really really hard.

Is it worth putting work into Maribel?

I heard she leaves and doesn't come back for quite a bit, and by the time she does she'd be too far behind to be worth trying to catch up

Do you guys play with 3D on or off?

Why does Maribel run like Sonic?

So I can hate her more.

I've heard good things about V and I even have an R4 for my 3DS to play it, so I just might play that. Any tips going in?

Marry Debora. She's the only wife that has character development.

And don't invest time or stat boosting items into Prince Harry. Trust me.

Is it just me, or does DQVII have an inconsistent framerate when running around?

yeah the international versions have fucked performance. The jap version runs fine though

Your Hero will be your only permanent party member for most of the game, the rest of your spots will be filled by monsters for most of the game.
Get a Slime Knight, they're easy to recruit, found super early on once you can start recruiting monsters, and will carry your ass for like 95% of the game.

Let him pick his own waifu, stupid waifufag.

Yes. It does.

Yeah, it drops frames. Not that bad. Bugs me a bit as a PC fag, but whatever.

I'm in Regenstein or whatever, but I can't find the boys base. Its supposed to be a little north of the tree next to his reminder, but for some reason, the hero just freezes for a moment when I press A or "examine". Is it a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

I'd like proof of this

She's gotta go fast to keep up with the boys.

It says it's too dark doesn't it? Go back to the inn and sleep.

You can't find it at night cause it's too dark. Go back to the Inn and Keifer will wake you up yelling that he found a secret tunnel.

I feel like I'm the only one that prefers the synth.

It might not be as north as you think. Maybe just trying going to sleep at the inn.

Just a shitposter, I've seen no proof.

WHEN DO I GET THE CLASSES OMG REEEEEE

Fuck your dancer and your all mighty bullshit.

Just found out about the monster village, is the slime that likes fishes in pilchard bay? Also hiw essential is this, I won't have to waste hours getting immigrants right? I will try to get some but I don't want to worry about messing something up?

Generally runs fine for me on my old 3DS unless it's a battle with 4+ monsters, then there's some framerate drops.

Getting my SD card for my N3DS tomorrow so I'll be able to CFW + transfer my shit over and see how it runs with the forced overclocking there.

So it's decided that the PS1 version is still the better game correct?

Nope, (:

Wow, this Florin dude's a cunt
Keifer's lame for ditching the party over some pussy but I'd say this fag has it coming.

>Accents
Pls no

>that fucking ruins fairy
Im fine with the whole place getting gutted, but we cant even fucking walk around the pedestals anymore? Are these fuckers for real?
>reach Maeve
>your party gets resurrected and mana topped off
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

Whats the best monsters game to play?
I have a cfw 3ds with a DS flashcart

>resurrected
>Dying in the first place
wew

Have fun with the two minibosses and a boss all in a row on the automaton island.

On a scale of Breath of Fire III to Terranigma, how good is VII

I honestly can't believe I waited for this garbage for like 4 yesrs. The PSX game is easily the best way to enjoy VII

It's jap 3ds > west 3ds = ps1

In English? Joker 1 probably. Joker 2's good too but I liked the first game better.

I looked at several walkthroughs, and I'm SUPPOSED to get that message, but I'm not. And the character is too wide awake to go to bed.

>They changed Matilda to Maeve
For what purpose?

It's not like she had some Japanese name that would be awkward to say in English, it was Matilda.

It's those little changes that really get my goat. They show that the localizers would rather be writing their own stuff, so they insist on making these little tweaks to make it "theirs".

>Having the font in a fantasy game be a sword is childish
>Jamming ebin maymays in your game is A-Okay

Did you not examine the other statues? And read the note in the bookshelf of the house that was blocked by a statue? And talk to the old man at night?

just keep looking around near the tree south of the graffiti and you should get a message eventually

View all of the memories, read the note in the bar and talk to the old dude first.

Hate to break it to you but a bunch of the names are changed from the original, even three of the party members.

I'd stay do the trilogy of IV, V, and VI starting with IV.

Maeve has no pronunciation

It's from Honeywood. Every and all name changes are from him.

Meme is the future, grandpa.

>localization of a dq game is terrible
>people shocked

So let me get this straight
>shit music
>accents
>lag
are all just western problems? Japs didnt have to deal with DQIV being unreadable?
If thats the case I really fucking hope you're all piratefags.
Weebs have propped up sqeenix into this giant that can do no wrong and they'll still but ffshit like an abused wife stays with her husband.
Isn't 1 very grindy?

>shit music

Where? It sounds better than the PS1 version and no one ever complained about that.

the midis are garbage and sound absolutely fucking awful

Honeywood hasn't worked on a Dragon Quest since IV. It is his stupid fucking library guide he left on the company that keeps ruining this series.
>See the 8-4 podcast for Dragon Quest VI

Is there anything we can do to stop them from doing this shit?

Not any more than the other Monsters games I've played.

I was only able to view 3 memories. Are there more? Because no one is shining.
And yes I looked in the bookshelf and yes I talked to the old man

Because they spent time and money on making an amazing version of the dq7 soundtrack and only use it in the map version of this and some shit musou and give us computer music

You don't even know what a midi is

Then I dunno what to tell you man. The door is like two steps north of the tree.

Are you playing without phones or something? Everything sounds like shit on the 3DS without headphones.

That's not true. Why would you lie like that?

>they spent time and money
No they didn't
They repurposed the old Symphonic Suites CD. It's why a couple of songs aren't actually the full song on the Japanese version.

real instruments beats garbage computer synth shit any day, all the music sounds fucking SNES quality because of the shit format

Did you buy the game?

You've never played a SNES game either huh

He's mad that we got second hand trash and japs got this
youtu.be/FePJs7v_aGo
Thwyre doing the same for 8 Because they think westerners hate orchestras

>Because they spent time and money on making an amazing version of the dq7 soundtrack

They do that for every single game but not with the intention of ever featuring the songs on them. Make an orchestra album because Koichi is an orchestra composer and that's how the songs were meant to be without a console's limitation. It has nothing to do with the games besides the fact that it's videogame music.

Finally, I got to the job change island. Only took me 13 hours.

You're really rushing.

>fragments come up on map
>fragment locator

I dont like this remake.

Gee I bet you can't wait to head straight to that temple and get right into choosing some cool new jobs, huh?

I thought that was like a quarter of the way in? Did they really make the 3DS version like 50-60 hours long? That's really disappointing

Then why would they use that version in the original version and not in the western version

lel

Damn nigga how fast have you been plowing through the game? I'm 17 hours in and no job change in sight.

The fragment scavenger hunt is one of the biggest complaints about the original

You forgot the garbage 3DS speakers.

Isn't VII 3D's OST from a fucking CD?

>8 hours in
>already at the 9th island

I thought this game was supposed to be long???? I"m already more than halfway through the entire game....

People are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for complaints about things no one liked.

This. All shards should be hidden and there should be a spray item with limited uses and a 50% chance of success that you have to use in each room to uncover them. That'd make the game way more challenging and fun.

I'm really liking it so far. I've always wanted to play DQ7 just never got around to it. Bout 10ish hours in so far over the past week and I'm probably gonna have to give it a break for a little while. The slow pacing is will most likely burn me out if I keep it up.

If you count not going back to the main island to talk to everyone every time you finish a new island rushing, then sure.

I also never grind, unlike some people here.

Haha, already played the PS1 version.

Which island are you now on, nigga?

Please tell me everyone is using headphones to play this.

Because a few of the songs in the orchestrated version, taken from the Symphonic Suites CD, weren't the full songs. The western version remade every song based on the Symphonic Suites versions rather than the copy pasting the original PS1 music. If you don't like it that's fine but it's certainly not worse, and fixes the problem with the music in a few areas.

>Which island are you now on, nigga?
The Roamers camp.

After that island, you'll go to the job change island.

Guess I'll just have to buy another copy...

Why not give people and option to switch between the good and the new soundtrack like sonic cd or at least the option to turn it off?

The fragment detector is lighting up at Ballomalloy. I already beat Maeve I guess in the future. Where is the fragment in the past?

>all the music sounds fucking SNES quality because of the shit format
SNES couldn't do synth. LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SYNTH AND MIDI FAG

They fucked up with it actually. Songs didn't loop and it had awkward silence before the song would start again. Japs actually complained about that.

Instead of fixing it so we could get the 10/10 orchestra they settled with making an inferior but still acceptable synth soundtrack.

>computer shit vs computer shit
wow

Cartridge space probably. Sound generally takes up the most space out of everything in games these days.

>he fell for the double ruse

>game is one day old
>already has lying trolls
I thought Dragon Quest was so unpopular no one played the games. So why is there so many people working so hard to hate on it?

>I guess in the future.
huh?

Nvm. I just had to redo the sequence of events in another order

>20 hours in
>already beat the game

that was a fucking cakewalk, wasn't even trying to rush at all

>I'm an idiot and keep getting told, yet I still reply to keep the argument going
wow

>game still hasn't shipped

FUCK

Anybody got the qr code so I can at least play it?

Then release free dlc to swap out the files. I want at least one dq game on 33ds to have orchestral music

It's very highly regarded so it easily attracts shitposters baiting super hard.

Oh holy fuck don't tell me they changed Melvin and Aira too

It turns out that was the past. So I'm in future Ballymalloy.

>Navyfag
>No set home address besides my ship
>Amazon sent a fucking package from the farthest part of the country away to Virginia when anywhere else is closer
>Prime 2-day shipping is a fucking lie
>Even SMT4A is going to be late as shit, coming in on October 4th

Everyone here has already practically beaten both games and I so much as haven't even been able to look at my physical copy.

Don't be a fool. Don't join the Navy and don't sign up for Amazon Prime.

Mervyn and Aisha now I think.

There's a trader on the second floor of the big building. Talk to him.

>Your package is supposed to arrive a whole 2 weeks after the release date
That sucks, but I'm laughing really hard right now.

>it's a Little Devil encounter

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THESE PURPLE ASSHOLES

>Amazon hasn't shipped my copy yet

Any alternatives to those fuckers?

>Don't be a fool. Don't join the Navy and don't sign up for Amazon Prime.
Done and done.

Thank you.

Former Navyfag, I feel you.

They do hit really hard for the point of the game you start running into them, shit's weird.

At least Matilda gives free heals at the entrance. Only downside is you can't Evac out during that story event.

Senpai, get on my fucking level. If you didn't beat this baby tier game in 10 hours, then you are just a massive faggot.

Play Asia?

Anyone?

Have this dog.

>10 hours,
>Couldn't beat the game in 5 hours.
Faggot.

>Arriving Thu, Sep 29
>On time

I've been using Prime for years, and I honestly have never had a problem with it once. Maybe I've been lucky, but I'm a shut-in who orders shit from them basically weekly.

I'm former Navy though, and Jesus Christ, what a shitshow that bullshit outfit is.

Man if I didn't love DQ so much I honestly would've dropped it due to the localization. Unnecessary accents coupled with name changes to everything, as well as making the game stupid easy (the boss in Gabo or Ruff's area no longer seals your magic for the fight) is really making me dislike this version vs the original

that is one snug pupper

Same, DQ localization rivals Nintendo in terms of how terrible I can be.

>(the boss in Gabo or Ruff's area no longer seals your magic for the fight)
Whats next? No fucking no-magic zone in the Dharma temple fragment?

No one fucking likes Dragon Quest, they clearly ordered two hundred copies of the game.

Are they doing Sellma or other free dlc and post game shit? like in 9?

Yes actually.

Im slightly upset.

I assume the street pass shit in the back of the box is essentially grottos

>tfw user's package would have actually got to him faster if he had ordered it from Hong Kong

Why are they casualizing this so much.

DQ was always proudly balanced but they're making it too easy now.

Yeah there's a free DLC thing in the monster village that gives you more randomized bonus dungeons.

RIP in peace.

Japan complained about how difficult VII was, which it was.

Weird question, what is the optimal use of the stat boosting seeds? Should I dump them all on my main character? Focus on boosting weakpoints or enhance whatever stat the characters simply use most?

Basically, will I be able to farm these at end game? Because after I beat RPGs I love to go and max stats on all my characters.

Ands that why it was great. The difficulty and atmosphere were just in place.

>Listening to Japan about difficultly ever
Even if they are right. It's dumb to listen to them when it comes to how hard a game is.

i cry

They're fucking with you, there's still no magic or skills until after you save the princess or around that point

Sleep tight lil pupper.

The guy is on the end of the pier. I've only recruited a few but it seems fairly easy. Each immigrant gives you a hint on the next one.

Just don't give any to Kiefer

I hate to be the guy who brings realisticness into a JRPG discussion but when you're a 16 year old kid going up against forces that can literally seal away entire continents, I'd expect a fair bit of challenge

:(

no that dude is definitely rushing

playing at a decent pace and I got to the temple at like 19hrs, maybe 18 because I wasted some time at the casino

Yuji Horii went back and replayed DQVII and remarked that he was surprised how unbalanced everything was. And I kind of agree with him. Not so much that battles were too hard, but that the flow of the game and EXP requirements were totally off. Some areas you would be far beyond the level you needed while the very next area you were underleveled.

Artepiazza probably sought to balance the game better. But perhaps they did too good of a job of balancing. I can definitely say that I haven't had any difficulty issues yet. Just got done with the Automaton island which used to be the first big hurtle in the PS1 version of the game. But I sailed through not only at level 14, but even avoided some enemies because I felt like I was overleveled.

Gonna try the Jail/Dharma area now and see how hard that is. Since it used to be the hardest place in the whole DQ series tied with Rhone.

There's a lot of false information and trolling in this thread

Being able to just waltz past enemies on the overworld helps a bit, since you're less worn down before you even get to the dungeons.

I really liked the DQVC. I'd sign in every day just to grab whatever dumb themed costumes I could find.

Yeah I got that spoiled for me a little after I put one or two into him. Feel like a dumbass now.

>Despite my best efforts to go the wrong way first through every dungeon to find more treasure, always end up going the right way
Holy hell what the fuck is with this game, it's fucking up my usual dungeon senses

its the ghost of Dragon Warrior VII fucking with you.

I also cannot find this person. I've looked everywhere on the entire island. Has anyone found this singing guy in the town with all the machines.

Can you disable the rock radar?

I looked it up, apparently he shows up in the inn once you've progressed further in the story.

>it's a "Maribel runs out of MP like 1/4ths of the way into the dungeon and it's fucking impossible to replenish it without having to head out because the game is stingy as fuck when it to comes to MP replenishing items" episode

Auto-Bang was a mistake

Don't worry I have the exact same problem but I think I got used to it like 15 hours in

>strategically use her MP until getting to the boss
>dump my MP load on the boss
>no MP to evac after the fight

That stops being a problem after the first few islands thankfully
Only time I've needed to pop a magic water was right before fighting the bosses at the end of the automaton base

>Auto-Bang was a mistake
yes

Why's Evac so expensive in 7 anyways? Doesn't it only cost like 2 in most other DQs?

>not no-magic your way through except for healing

how the fuck else are you supposed to deal with 4-5 monster encounters? any other way is just such a complete fucking chore

what was the point of changing random battles to field encounters if those fatass faggot cats are still riding up my ass the entire way through the volcano

so you can avoid them when roaming the map or revisiting the past

Learn how to use boomerangs and whips. Bang should be used for enemies that can't be killed in 1-2 turns.

>Battles are extremely easy to avoid on the overworld. A place where you barely ran into any even when it was random encounters
>Enemies spawn every 3 seconds in dungeons. Corridors are so small you can't avoid them. Even low level enemies charge straight for you. MP runs out quickly in the early game and evac is expensive
FUCK

Save Bang for 5+ enemy encounters until you get Boomerangs and Whips

I'm about 16 hours in and still haven't had any issues with MP. You probably should just stop using bang and buy a whip for Jessica. And on the Automaton island you get boomerangs so its almost pointless to use bang after that.

>Jessica
Are you sure that you're playing VII?

evryteim?

Bang is better than the regular boomerang since there's no damage drop off.
>Jessica
m8

Whoops. I'm talking to someone else about DQVIII while perusing this thread. Obviously I mean Maribel.

Once you have Boomerangs and Whips you should be able to finish off most random encounters in a turn or two without needing Bang
Right now I'm at the Roamer camp and the last time I needed Bang was back on the automaton island.

i'll bang ur bum with a boomerang
what hav u got 2 say abut that m8

>The chest contained a Prayer Ring!
THANK YOU BASED NUMEN

Vazz iz ze meening of zis?

Why are there so many prominent redhead girls anyway

Redheads are hot

Why not?

japan is obsessed with redheads, see Anne of Green Gables

>Bang is better than the regular boomerang since there's no damage drop off.
Except that it costs MP while Boomerang costs nothing. Which you've already pointed out is a problem for you.

Dragon Quest isn't a game about just spamming the highest amount of damage. Its about conservation and knowing your limits. If you're getting to a boss battle and have run out of MP, you need to change your tactics to use less MP. Boomerangs and whips allow you to do this. In effect, you lose HP instead of MP. And HP can be refilled by a cheap item, while MP items are rare and expensive.

In short, use boomerangs and whips and just spam medicinal herbs before a boss. Better than getting to the boss and needing to use magic water.

There are barely any blonde girls left because they all race mixed with horse monsters, effectively wiping the color out.

Its a fantasy game. And in Japan, redhead girls are as rare as Elves. Though Japan seems to like blondes the most.

ur getting the bumerang
its gunna cum atcha an cum back again

To add to this, you can also just run through an area getting all the items and EXP, cast evac and rest at the inn, then run back through the same area avoiding enemies and going right for the boss. If you're dead set on using lots of magic, this will be the best tactic. Slower, but it works. Dragon Quest II kind of makes you play this way.

Nein! I iz not having zee underztanding mein fuhrer.

Man, I always felt bad for the MC of 2 when I was playing. Most of the game the prince doesn't do enough damage and the early game the princess doesn't have enough MP to really help out much, meaning the hero is pulling all the weight for most of the game while those two chucklefucks are along for the ride.

It felt like I was playing Mother 1 again with Anna and Lloyd.

aright so
imagin a boomerang
but its a benis
and ther u go

I'd glad you saw that. I've always said that bother Mother 1 and 2 play like Dragon Quest II. They have better graphics and unique bosses of course. But their core mechanics and difficulty feel like Dragon Quest II. Not any of the other DQ games, just II.

Which there's nothing wrong with that. I liked the difficulty in DQII and liked Mother for being similar.

And there is nothing wrong with that. Its your adventure, they are just tagging along.

Eh, Paula gets useful pretty fast once she catches up a bit in levels. Jeff's not too useful when he's not unloading Bottle Rockets though, he does have a few handy tools for boss fights though. Poo's just kind of a worse Paula and a worse Ness, even if you get all of his best gear.

To be fair, I feel like EB kind of balanced things out better with Jeff being pretty useful with his items for the most part compared to Lloyd who was kind of a shitter, similar to how I felt about the Prince.

But, yeah, I could definitely tell Mother was pretty heavily inspired by DQ2 when I finally got around to playing the SNES remakes just from the party composition.

Alright, so I am really interested in this game. Some questions though:

>Is there a story to play? Don't really like playing a JRPG with a shitty story and shitty characters. Defeats the whole purpose.

>How long is it? I am a uni senior with little time; is this game worth it to neglect other games for?

>Battle system any good? Are there any difficulty spikes?

I hear a lot about Dragon Quest since I am a Final Fantasy fan, might aswell jump ship and see the fuss if worth it.

I started it, and I'm finding it boring and slightly charming at the same time. I made it to the first island and fought some slimes.

I'm interested in what's going on with this island that I'm on.

WELP

>mfw it doesn't loop properly

DQvii has a story but the main focus are the side stories.

100hrs

battle system is pretty straightforward, only real difficulty spikes are bosses and some areas.

>Is there a story to play? Don't really like playing a JRPG with a shitty story and shitty characters. Defeats the whole purpose.
One of the largest stories in JRPG history. There might actually be too much story for you.

>How long is it? I am a uni senior with little time; is this game worth it to neglect other games for?
80-120 hours

The PS1 version was notorious for difficulty spikes. The 3DS remake seems to have balanced these out. At least for the first 18 hours I've played.

Not really. The "story" is a bunch of seperate censorious that dont really add anything to the overall plot.

where, I haven't noticed anything

not him but it's not really a problem outside of fishbel. fishbel is pretty bad, though.

Story is going to feel a bit dry at first due to some content being cutout (depending on who you are the content cut is a good thing as it gets you closer to the battles). But ultimately the story is basically each island being its own contained story with consistent party characters giving their thoughts on each situation. You really get the most out of the story by talking to NPCs and watching things progress as you do things in the world. Using the party chat a lot it feels like the games characters actually react to whats going on and it feels more humble and quaint than some others. This isn't going to contain an amazing core plot or riveting story that will carry you through, it's more about the little things that build up the world (literally as you spawn new islands to explore as you go).

Game is fucking long though shortened a little in this version

Difficulty isn't too bad. Battles are straightforward.

>Defeats the whole purpose.

RPGs were originally about imagination, exploration, monster slaying, and finding loot. The "RPGs are only worth it for the story" thing started in the late 90s.

Anyway, DQ games tend to have more generic "An ancient evil has arisen" stories. The point of Dragon Quest is... exploration, monster slaying, and loot. The stories are fine, but they're not the focus. DQ VII for example feels like it's mostly made up of side stories, which isn't exactly untrue. Some stuff is connected to the main story which shows up after you run out of the side stories, but not all of them.

100+ hours. On some Japanese sites I've seen people say 50-60, but that's probably people who've played the original version. I never did and it took me 138 hours, though I took my time and did some optional stuff.

It's a basic battle system, but it's good. Gets better when you unlock jobs, but that takes awhile.

Don't you mean Pilchard Bay :^)

yeah that place

>exploration, monster slaying, and loot.
And thats what the fucking shard hunt and difficulty embodied. The slow start of the game was just setting you up for the rest of the game.

It's pronounced may-vh

It's been a LONG ass time since I've played the ps1 version. What was cut about the beginning exactly?

I didn't notice anything too different aside from the tomb puzzles being cut and the Shrine being different, but like I said, been a while.

Nothing was cut. The shrine which used to be one long tunnel was broken up into 3 parts. And the gear puzzle was redone so its quicker.

Basically, things were remade. Which is what a remake should do.

Calling bullshit on this. Treehouse had some hand in this game as they did with the newest Ace Attorney game. Calling it right now.

>Epipany casts omniheal
>Not enough MP

pips are the best

Capcom translates Ace Attorney, not Treehouse. The only game Nintendo had anything remotely to do with was Layton vs. and that was publishing. Level 5 localized that.

At least Kiefer has the courtesy to rejoin you for two seconds so you can unequip all his shit

he gives it to you regardless

Yeah I just found that out too
Time to unload it all at the nearest store

Who is the person I need to look for, about the Pamela prophecy with the "mc"'s name at the volcano?
I mean like about the black flame.

Is this the type of game where job levelups influence your characters stats?

Play 3,4 or 5 first

Yeah.

well fug

>pulls you along on an adventure
>abandons you half way

he's a drunk

pike

Muh purpose
Muh love

There isn't enough R34 of Maribel in this world. If there are any generous drawfag friends lurking the thread, please fix this.

I have plenty. But I'm not gonna post it for obvious reasons.

>No option to piss on Kiefer's grave

I have no idea where the fuck he might be.

Have you tried checking his house perhaps?

I'm a retard. I don't remember where it is.

Northeast corner of Estard

thanks

>TFW when you've been on Cred Forums long enough to remember when mods didn't care too much if you posted porn on blue boards, because most people weren't dumb enough to browse Cred Forums at work anyway, and those that did and complained were laughed at for being literally retarded.

Why does time make everything worse?

You left me because you had an NTR fetish, you limey fuck!" At least your great, great, great, great grand daughter was hot.

I've been here in 2004 and even back then you were banned for posting porn. If anything, the mods have gotten more lax with all the thick threads and girls in underwear. Whereas in the old days, just posting a girl with big boobs was a bannable offense.

>Casino
RIP the next several hours of my life

So did they leave the 'little slave girl' part and the 'slut' part intact?

>that awkward last "ha"

I remember rule 34 Pokemon threads on Cred Forums all the fucking time in 2006. Remember the constant loli on Cred Forums from about 2006-2009? That's where "techloligy" comes from. I even remember once posting like, a hundred pages of some hentai here once for reasons I no longer remember, a mod deleted the thread, I started another one immediately after, and no one did anything. I don't know why our experiences differ, but it's most certainly gotten worse, just posting girls in underwear is really nothing to what I remember. Used to see a lot of nudity on /w/ but that was scrubbed out of the board when I last when there around 5 or 6 years ago (no idea what it's like now).

haha

That was thrown in by the translator anyway. I played the 3DS version a year ago and while I can't remember exactly what she said, I never thought anything of it until I learned what she said in the English version, I think she basically just said that she'll be there when you need her or something to that effect. Though I have heard that the phrase she used was supposed to be a reference to prostitutes in certain institutions because they used to say that a lot, but I'm not sure. Even if that is the case, it's played up a bit more in the old English version.

I'm going to do it.

I'm going to buy the game.
SOMEONE STOP ME

You might have been thinking of times when mods were deleting threads. But whenever a big period of deleting happened, people started spamming tons of porn and off topic threads in 'protest'. So much so that the mods couldn't keep up or it would literally crash the site. This happened a lot in 2008-2010 (especially any time janitors started doing their jobs).

Also I'm not going to deny we had porn threads every once in a while. But I'm just pointing out that it wasn't a daily occurrence and was still going to get you banned. Whereas today I see people post full on /h/ pictures and it just gets deleted with no ban.

ITS SHIT
THE DIFFICULTY IS BUTCHERED
THE ATMOSPHERE IS GONE
YOUR RENT IS DUE IN ONE WEEK

Why ever would we wish to stop you?

where is chen

youtube.com/watch?v=_KC5kE5Rquc&feature=youtu.be&list=PL8NVjOUUv_U0XlJzuQ5UtnGWdBnY3foUA&t=252

She used 'ご指名' in the original, which has sexual innuendo related to prostitution.
She may not be a prostitute, but she is joking around like one.

Ah yeah, that was it. Completely slipped under my radar because I have unfortunately had no relations with Japanese hookers.

whats the point of storing gold in the bank? do you lose it when you die?

You lose half when you die.

>losing gold when you die
>2016
Im surprised. I assumed you would lose like 5% of your gold like in Pokemon, but its a moot point beacuse its impossible to die now.

I just finished Emberdale, when can I change classes

in about 10-15 hours

You've got at least 10 hours to go
And they put a casino right before it so you end up being stalled even longer
Fuck I'm having the worst casino luck holy shit

I haven't played a Dragon Quest game in a while so I don't remember how exp works. Is it that each area has a cap, so if you go over that cap you won't get any EXP and class points?

oh boy don't tell me it's the kind of casino that has really really really good gear if you managed to poopsock your way up the money ladder

Well it's got a card matching game that gives you the gear on the cards if you match enough pairs. I got a fucking sweet hammer for the Hero on my first try.

As far as token prizes go, I'm gonna need about 7500 tokens for the gear I want from this casino right now.

yes, you can buy shit and also win gear from a game

and theres an RNG element to what prizes you can win

>yes, you can buy shit and also win gear from a game
Talk about casualizing a game.

The matching game is pretty simple to cheese if you just write down where all the cards you've flipped are
With that it only takes a tiny bit of luck to get everything on the board

stupid anime poster

When does Maribel suck my dick?

The stuff you win from the matching game is mostly trash from six islands ago
The prizes are bought with tokens not gold you baka

Cant argue with that.

it's still hard because of the shuffle card

I've only won like two times outta twenty because it was one of the last five or four cards

I just took snapshots with my phone. But yeah, easy to cheese, though I won most of my winnings from the slots int he second casino. I managed to luck out and make 300000 coins in a few minutes there.

In DQV I got 77777 within the first five minutes of trying on the highest value slot machine, shit was hilarious. I was set for Casino tokens for the entire rest of the game.

No such luck in VII though.

>The stuff you win from the matching game is mostly trash from six islands ago

thats why I said theres an rng element to it

you can win really good shit from that, like I got a white shield and some iron axes from that

Are there mini medals in this game? I am neart he end of the second fragment and I have found zero so far.

Your base level will continue to rise no matter what. You just gain EXP.

Job classes however rise based on how many battles you do. And you have to defeat a certain level monster to have it count. You can't just go to the starting area and kill slimes and have it raise your jobs infinitely.

yes

I'll give it a few more goes once I get done praying to the god of the slots for the big token prizes here. On my first run of the match game I got a War Hammer and an Iron Axe.

>Classes are fucked to shit

>I can't even play on my fucking phone because they only localized the 3DS version
Back to PS1.

So just how many islands are there, roughly?

Just so I can keep a general idea of my progress as I play.

>In DQV I got 77777 within the first five minutes of trying on the highest value slot machine, shit was hilarious. I was set for Casino tokens for the entire rest of the game.
Meanwhile other people played the game for 4 hours without even getting a whole slot of BAR. First time I played DQV I got a bunch of lucky 7s and in about 2 hours I had the 800,000 tokens to get every gear. Second time I played it, it took 8 hours of grinding to get just 500,000 tokens. And it was even worse when I played DQVI.

Why the fuck did they get rid of Roulette? It was so much better.

>I heard people saying it took hours before fighting the first monster but frankly it took me less than one hour, and I am the type of guy that reads every dialogue line, sometimes two times in a row.

the 3DS version cut short the opening. The PS1 version it takes like 3 hours to get to the first fight

Maybe they thought it was too easy to abuse? Fuck even Bingo would be preferable if you could bet more tokens on it. Set it going, come back in five minutes to see if you won or not.

Fuck Poker though for real, I'm sticking to the slots. At least they're fast when you savescum the fuck out of em.

18 plus the HUB island and a few hidden ones later in the game. But trust me, knowing there's 21-22 islands will not help you gauge how far you are in the story. You'll do 3 islands in 4 hours. Then one island will take 8 hours.

Crazy.

wasn't roulette was added in 8

>Western version of the soundtrack is lower quality
For what purpose though?

Licensing rights

So, if I were to enter an area with a cap of 15 and I had:

Class 1: 15
Class 2: 5
Class 3: 10
Class 4: 8

I could get class points for 2-4 but not 1?

I thought Square had deep pockets

Dragon Quest VII is a lot like the original Dragon Ball, the characters go off on side-adventures and journeys that go on forever and don't advance the main plot, but it's extremely charming and you get that sense of wonder that few things can replicate.

dq is not that big in the west

>Why the fuck did they get rid of Roulette?

easy to abuse with savescumming at least that was my experience in DQ8

So the islands in this game are essentially a collection of different stories, correct? That sounds like a neat system of story progression.

What was that enemy who will fail to cast a fuck strong spell at first, then proceed to drain MP from you, and after getting enough actually succeeding in casting the spell?

Honestly, I'm lost based on your example. I suggest you just fight a few enemies in one area, then check if your job EXP is growing. If so, you know that those enemies are counting towards job exp.

yes, it was. But they have added a lot of things that were added in later games to the remake of earlier games. Roulette (and parcheesi) should have been added to every game.

Imps?

>get to jobs
>check out ruff's jobs
>mfw shepherd

dragon-quest.org/wiki/Conkuisitor