What's the best 3d platformer ever made?

What's the best 3d platformer ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HUpCPpdjh1E
youtube.com/watch?v=0IGF7TM0-64
youtube.com/watch?v=U4jIiMjzizU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rayman 2/3

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Jumping Flash
Super Mario 64
Jak and Daxter

I used to have a lot of fun in Halo 3 on those custom "American Ninja Warrior" forge maps.

So yeah overall I'd say Halo 3.

Sonic isn't a 3D platformer.

Spyro 2

>Banjo
>platformer

The answer is mario 64

>not picking crash 3

half a press XD

I'm probably going to get shitposted and meme'd on for this, but I actually liked 3D World a lot. Though honourable mentions go to Crash 2+3, Spyro 2, BK+BT, SM64 and SMG, and Rayman 3

Ape Escape for me

half the game was just a gimmickfest without actual platforming

>jumping flash

definitely not sonic

wretched and clang

Not Crash 1 holy SHIT is this game garbage.

Maybe I'd enjoy it more if I played it on a console as opposed to the PSP with its fucked up weird analog stick.

SM64 = Crash 2 > Banjo Kazooie > Sonic Adventure

Fight me faggots.

>you can play all four of these franchises on the GBA

why is GBA so based?

You forgot to put Ape Escape below all those games

>ctrl+f
>no Psychonauts or Klonoa 2

it is, but its a bad one

It depends what you want in a 3D platformer

Is there a 3D platformer with rocket jumping?

>Crash 3
>Spyro 3
>Super Mario Sunshine

Toss up between these three.

Crash 1 doesn't even have analogue controls on PS1

Klonoa 2 is fantastic but it isn't 3D

Super Mario series is the epitome of great 3d platforming

SM64 is pretty overrated honestly.
The camera is bad and all the sliding physics make some areas a pain to complete.

None of the issues really come up during the first three levels because they're a lot easier than the rest of the game but god damn, Lakitu hates you and Mario won't stop wearing fucking heelies

Rayman 2 or Spyro 3 for me tbqh famalam

Jesus christ that's horrible

Mario 64 had the tightest controls

Banjo Tooie had the best level/world design

Yeah I realized I fucked up right after posting.

No cyberbullying please
1. Rayman 3
2. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
3. Castlevania 64
4. Psychonauts
5. Worms 3D

nice bait list faggot

I said no cyberbullying, sir.

>Castlevania 64

I might even give LoD a pass but 64? You're not even trying

I'm talking about LoD

The first Jak and Daxter will always have a soft spot for me.

The first Sly game I like too, that was more a basic platformer but still fun.

Banjo Kazooie Im not into as alot of others but enjoyable still.

Mario 3D world I liked, havent played any other 3D marios so the others might be better, but whatever.

the Ps1 Spyro games are very fun too

Don't call it 64 then retard

Watch your tongue please, its still summer.

Why didn't you say so, 64 and LoD are two different games

Top 5:
Super Mario Galaxy
Banjo-Kazooie
Super Mario 3D World
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Super Mario Sunshine isn't a real platformer, it's an adventure game

Galaxy is a real platformer

nice rebuttal, really made me think.

Super Mario Sunshine

not a real platformer, FLUDD cancels the need for platforming.

This is the correct order, though Sonic Adventure 1 is not a good game

I used to put Banjo-Kazooie first, until I played it again and remembered all those gimmicky minigames. And then Banjo Tooie had even more of those, despite having better mechanics and boss fights. Still love and respect both of them though, as well as DK64.

Mario 64 and Crash 2 are pure platforming though, which is GOAT.

not a real post, SHIT cancels the need for quality.

What?

Nostalgia : Super Mario 64
To this day : Super Mario Sunshine
Runner up : Super Mario 3d World
Waiting for Yooka-Laylee, I'm replaying Banjo on 360 and I gave up with DK64 on Wii U it's too bad.

it's probably super mario 64 but crash has a special place in my heart

The actual platforming is lame and bland.

Galaxy trumps it in every single way.

Sunshine isn't a Platformer.

>Sunshine isn't a Platformer.
Are you mentally retarded?

>The actual platforming is lame and bland.
>but it's not a platformer

You can autisticly hate the game all you want, no problem, but it's still a platformer.

It's an adventure game with platform elements.

My top 10 in no order, sticking to one game per series.

SM64
Banjo-Kazooie
Psychonauts
Ape Escape
Crash 2
Rayman 2
Spyro 3
Jumping Flash
Space Station Silicon Valley
Jet Grind Radio

Not sure if JGR counts but fuck it.

At least make up your mind on whether you think it's a bad platformer or not a platformer at all.

its a shame you fags think like this. You hover to every platformer and smugly claim that the platforming sucks.

The actual mechanics of sunshines platforming is great. Being able to triple jump into an air spin, then jump of a wall and air dive into a puddle of water you sprayed and hard kicking a far distance is amaziing.

The controls are tight. Fludd adds a whole new dimension.

Its sunshines LEVEL design, and OBJECTIVE design that fucking sucks. But the actual mechanics of mario and fludd in sunshine are great.

seeI don't hate it at all, but it's not a real platformer.

>no long jump

into the trash the mechanics go

see

jgr isnt because its a sports game/action game
like how tony hawk isnt counts as a platformer
pretty good list outside of that though. would probably switch spyro 3 for super mario 3d world personally

>no long jump

spray water, dive in water then jump.

Long jump except more fun with more depth

>my autism forces me to repeat myself every time someone new posts Sunshine

Does Barneyfag care about platformers now?

No, it's a 3D platformer with a jetpack and somewhat tacked on shooter mechanics (you sometimes have to stop moving to aim precisely, which temporarily strips the game of any platforming mechanics).

Similarly, Banjo Tooie has FPS levels but it's still a 3D platformer overall.

Banjo Tooie

i kind of see where hes coming from. Sunshine is almost more of a third person adventure game than a platformer in most respects

So it's a platformer that doesn't platform? lol, okay kiddo.

Serious answer: the non-FLUDD segments of Mario Sunshine. Nothing else compares.

if you use analog sticks for platformers, you dont deserve to have an opinion

It's part of a non-real platformer so no.

Their parents shielded them from this so they never got to enjoy it as a child

>convoluted makeshift controls somehow equals depth

really made me think. calling it the greatest 3D platformer of is ludicrous.

It's like calling Bioshock the greatest RPG of all time just because it has RPG elements.

its not convoluted

space station silicon valley FUCK YEAH

what about rocket robot tho?

Ah so you're shit at the game

>But FLUDD
In Galaxy you can fly and make clouds with the bee and cloud costume. FLUDD doesn't magically make things easier, worlds and platforms are build with FLUDD in mind.

yeah totally!

That chuckster mission is brilliant game design!

Rocket: Robot on Wheels?

I'd put that in my top 20, but it doesn't make the cut for top 10. Glover would also be in top 20.

I always hated Gex. His lame one-liners get old so fucking fast.

sorry you suck at chuck kid

spyro too.

ye gex is queer as fuck

It is compared to holding a trigger button and pressing A.

no

Those are situational, FLUDD is always on you.

>defending trial and error level design

subjective, except Sonic Adventure which is an awful game

Super Mario Sunshine.

The only thing capable of convincing me otherwise is the sequel which will never happen

yes you retard, the movement in Mario Sunshine is literally unrivaled. an easy way to spot a pleb is whoever doesn't consider it the best 3d platformer

You don't know shit about jack. SA was amazing.

>It is compared to holding a trigger button and pressing A.

Solitaire is convoluted compared to uno. You're being a casual faggot if you honestly think slide jumping in sunshine was convoluted.

It lets you have more input. The faster you hit the water, the longer your jump. Now you need to plan you're long jumps depending on the terrain available to you.

Thats not convoluted, its depth.

>SA was amazing.

no it wasnt. Fuck off

Yes because of my second sentence. Also FLUDD have 3 tips and you can't wear all three at the same time you had to choose the right one.

It's not bad but it's really nowhere near as good as the other greats in the genre. It really only seems to be considered an amazing game by people who were kids and happened to play it when at the time it released.

Question to all of you guys.

Do you consider games like Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter platformers?

Since they're really action-platformers, and even then, they're generally more action than platformer. The focus is more on fighting enemies and upgrading. They're more like action games with platforming, but I often see them listed as platformers.

Whereas in regards to 2D plarformers, action-platformers like Mega Man don't get posted as much in 2D platfomer threads.

Where is the delineation between 2D and 3D APs that make people tend to classify the 3D ones as platformers more often?

This, Sonic Adventure is genuinely bad.

no they're action adventure games like zelda

no, it is a platform game with adventure elements. Get your shit together man.

It's garbage level design. Garbage.

It's not deep, it's unintuitive and restrictive. Not to mention practically useless compaired to the long jump.

Yes it was. You just have baby taste from all the matches of League of Lozenges you've played.

Crash 2 is better. Less reskinned levels.

There's less platforming then adventuring around for coins and spraying enemies.

It's simply not a real 3D platformer.

It's no use, Sonic Adventure is a great game.

>he likes slowly gliding with the FLUDD jetpack
>he likes having to come to almost a dead-halt just to shoot some twat with water
>he defends the movement as the game has literally nothing else going for it aside from movement (which isn't even as good as people make it out to be) and graphics

Sonic Adventure 2

"git gud" has never been more appropriate, jesus christ.

Super Mario stopped being good at 64.

I will say New Super Mario Bros for the DS was good. riding the blue shell was a lot of fun.

take away all brand recognition, pretend Sonic adventure was the first Sonic game.
Now does it sound like it was a good game when all you judge is the quality of the brand and not the Sonic chode you suckle like a teat?

3D Sonic Games are all hot garbage except three of them, Unleashed, Generations, and Heroes (although uncomfortably is between good and mediocre unlike the other 2)

by that logic, I could say the same thing about Sonic 06.

BATTLE

>It's not deep, it's unintuitive and restrictive.

Explain. The fact that you gain a longer jump from hitting the puddle at a faster speed IS INTUITIVE because you gain a sensible advantage in gameplay by applying a rational logic.

Thats LITERALLY intuitive. Explain to me with your words why its intuitive and restricting. It literally lets you do MORE with your moveset. MORE is not limiting.

There's not 1 Mario game better then Sonic Colors. Not 1.

>he likes having to come to almost a dead-halt just to shoot some twat with water

Good thing thats not true.

>IS INTUITIVE

stopped reading there, it literally isn't.

It's cumbersome to preform and useless.

and what does Sonic Colors have to do with any game I listed? Sonic Colors plays like a 2D game
also
bringing up Mario? Dang, that Sonic Inferiority complex must have you shaking that you always need to compare your shit franchise to Mario

I unironically have Sonic Heroes installed on my PC and I still play it every other month

>listing Unleashed as not hot garbage but not Colors

It's a real shame, your post started off so correct and then turned into such shit.

Colors is 3D.

sonic adventure was my first sonic game, then I played my friends genesis that he picked up from goodwill and we played Sonic 3 together all the way through.

keep up the good work contrary man

SMG and SMG2. That shit had a great OST, physics, story, and gameplay.

what the fuck are you ranting about? SA has solid level design (in the Sonic and Tails campaigns which are the meat of the game), good movement and physics, one of the best OSTs composed for a video game, and good boss fights. SA2 sucks, yes, but the first game is very good.

/thread

No, it LITERALLY is.

>in·tu·i·tive

>adjective
>adjective: intuitive

>using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning; instinctive.

So i INSTINCTIVELY FEEL that if i hit the puddle FASTER, then i should get a LONGER jump. I INSTINCTIVELY FEEL THIS WAY because that is how momentum works. In the game, that is how slide jumping works as well without having to explain itself.

Literally intuitive.

Its just like games where you use your dodge roll to put yourself out of fire. It makes sense and you do it without it needing to be explained to you.

Spyro 3 or Banjo Kazooie. I'd say 64 but it had to make a controller a pile of trash in order to be good

to add to my comment, You're also delirious for thinking Heroes even comes close to generations or adventure/adventure 2.

Heroes was one of the biggest pieces of shit you could buy for your ps2 or gamecube at the time. yes it was on pc and xbox but who fuckin played sonic on that shit anyways, accept for you token pc sonic heroes fan, I see you.

>adventure 2
lol

at least heroes doesn't force you through slow-ass mecha levels

god I wish I could filter autismos like you.

It's fucking terrible and objectively bad, there's nothing useful about it and why FLUDD will never be used ever again.

It's a video game, you are rarely even forced to pay for them, what the fuck are you talking close your eyes turn off the tv I don't care. Heroes is the neo-sonic choice. hell even shadow the edgehog was better than Heroes.

My nigga, still the best 3d Sonic to this date.

>contrary man
Not him, but the consensus is that the game aged like shit. A game that ages like shit is not a good game. Certainly not a timeless classic or one of the best 3D platformers ever made.

whatever, if you think its bad say its bad. Don't pretend it isnt the literally example of an intuitive game mechanic.

I bet. It sucks when you use words you dont know the meaning of.

>Elder God tier
Banjo-Tooie

>God tier
Jak and Daxter
Jak II
Spider-Man 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Rayman 2
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

>Top tier
Crash 2
Crash 3
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Rayman 3
Banjo-Kazooie
Sly 2
Tak: The Great Juju Challenge

>Great Tier
Jak 3
Sly Cooper
Super Paper Mario
Spyro
Donald Duck: Going Quackers
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Chibi-Robo
Sonic Generations
Super Mario 3D World

>Good tier
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time
Duck Dodgers: Starring Daffy Duck
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Super Mario 3D Land
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

>Meh tier
Sonic Adventure
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Heroes
Super Mario 64 DS
Glover

>Bad tier
Ratchet and Clank
Over the Hedge
Open Season
Chameleon Twist 2

>Literally only stupid fucking nostalgiafaggots like this game tier
Super Mario 64

>Never played so I can't have an opinion tier
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Knack
Ape Escape
Jet Set Radio

Feel free to shower me with awards, as no list this accurate has ever been created

>It's fucking terrible and objectively bad

Why? All you've done is say its bad, its terrible, its objectively bad, its unintuitive ( demonstrably false).

You're not using your words. You're just speaking them.

It's a bad mechanic.

The Long Jump is a good one and they took it away.

>metacritic
>2010 arcade release

3/10

It's unintuitive. Objectively.

Spraying water and jumping on it takes too long.

Long jumping is simple and more useful.

You're a boring person

Girls don't like you

Galaxy's controls are based as fuck, and Mario feels like he's running with weighted shoes on.

64 is a snappy, slippery carnival ride from start to finish.

why are you projecting on to those blokes who posted nearly 2 hours ago from you?

That was a bad port.

I fucking loved glover.

You are Literally, Intuitively Autistic

Yes user, that was the point of my post. The re-release scored poorly because the game aged poorly.

SM64. Only reason people would pick another Mario game is to be contrarian.

Crash 2 is a good platformer, but it doesn't utilize 3D like the other games. It reminds me of a 2.5 D game, due to linear game play / level design (unless if you try to 100%, then you get a goldstar).

Aged like shit, the only people who like it are autismos like the parallel universe half A-presses guy

which has nothing to do with the dreamcast release.
go dig up a review of the game. not one nearly a decade afterwards, with something like Luigi's Mansion released after it You cannot just post an old games garbage port's reviews, You're cherry picking and you know it.

The one who lets me platform across the multiverse.

ever play Super Mario 64 DS?

cause that's one of the best ds ports around my friend.

Galaxy is better.

le epic

que?

That score is only for the 360 version, dumbfuck

"nothing has changed at all with this Xbox LIVE port - all the flaws still remain."

"all you'll find is a relic that was once considered greatness."

"It is a charming game we all remember fondly, but the formula has aged badly."

None of the reviews are bashing the actual port, they're bashing the game, saying nothing was changed or improved from the original Dreamcast release.

Psychonauts is at number one for me. It makes the collectathon nature of the game incredibly engaging, doesn't stop being a platformer, and has a very top tier story, cast, and sense of humor. The world building is also stellar.

That said, I have no faith in the sequel.

Sonic Adventure isn't a platformer, it's an action-adventure game.

Because I don't check the time. Mostly I just hate the Galaxy series and wanted to say so.

ten years later is the key, who the fuck would play any of these games besides the genesis titles now?

ten fuck years dude, are you so fucking blind that you're gonna read into other people's opinions on metacritic to formulate your own, and then compare it to another game made on better hardware that is arguably worse than the first sonic platformer? cause that's bullshit nigga.

ten years you twat, ten friggin years

get a watch

>ten friggin years
Pic related is a good game that reviewed well 10 years after release. Sonic Adventure is not. Coincidence?

>All this sheet talk
>No acknowledgement of the gr8test platform title the glorious ABES EXXODUS ever made
I shit on your extra dimensions

Banjo Kazooie is a rather charming game, but I do not understand the love for it. I find the gameplay rather boring. The controls don't have that cool sense of momentum like in Mario 64, so it's not fun to simply control. Also, constantly learning new moves each level often makes getting the jiggies feel like lock and key puzzles, where you use the move you just learned to bypass an obstacle. I prefer the Mario 64 style where you have all the moves up front and the game naturally gets more challenging.

Also, I think most of BK's levels are pretty meh. The only one I truly LOVED playing through was Click Clock Wood, most of the others felt like a chore. I think the atmosphere of the game is a tad too grimey, felt too much like DKC2 where I think it should feel more like DKC3.

I'm done talking with you, you're metacritically retarded

>ctrl+f Bubsy
>0 results

kill yourselves, you filthy casuals

>inb4 some guy comes up and says this is a puzzle game somehow

Also, I miss pre-rendered aesthetics.

journalists hate sonic

youtube.com/watch?v=HUpCPpdjh1E goat soundtrack

Banjo-Kazooie was too grimey? Damn user, don't play Tooie, you'll get severe depression.

The zombified King Jingaling terrified me as a kid

Probably Mario 64, SMG or Banjo-Kazooie. But I have to say, just recently played Ape Escape 2, 3 and Jak & Daxter 1.

Save for Ape Escape 2, the other 2 are fantastic games.

My only wish was that Jak & Daxter was longer, had some more moves variety and got rid off the "collect 50 pieces of green orbs to recover health" thing.

How come DK 64 isn't good? Just because the wii u port sucks or is it the game itself? Haven't played it in ages and I was thinking of picking it up

just play tropical dong, that one is pretty core to the country series.

youtube.com/watch?v=0IGF7TM0-64

This.

2 > TF > 3 > 1 > Returns 3DS > 64 > Returns Wii

The port is good, it's just that the collect-a-thon aspect is too much for most people. They kind of went overboard, you basically have to complete each level 5 times (1 per Kong).

If anything the Wii U port is the best way to play the game.
What people often dislike about DK64 is the fact that you have to collect lots of different stuff with 5 different characters on the same level multiple times.
Even so, I wouldn't call the game bad.

It is what it is kinda thing, like if you've played fallout 3 why buy fallout 4.

but it is true, your movement speed is drastically reduced when targeting an enemy with FLUDD

Autism the game

The original point was just that disliking Adventure isn't a contrarian stance, if anything it's considered fairly standard. I don't know what you're even getting at with that post.

I won't deny that, but for some reason I just love the character switch mechanics and to me the game is comfy

also this is my jam youtube.com/watch?v=U4jIiMjzizU

Banjo > Mario > Crash = Sonic

What's wrong with AE2? It actually has more platforming than AE3.

the soundtrack is good

The controls in Sunshine are fucking abysmal.

Plataforming in AE2 is a pain.
Never saw a character have a double jump and cover so little horizontal distance.
And there is other minor stuff like not have a convenient way to recover health between stages, monkeys having almost unavoidable attacks because you are trying hard to capture them and etc.

It is not a terrible game but sure I was done with it after half of the game. It showed me how some minor stuff can truly take away your enjoyment of the game.

best tastes

Certainly not any of those 4 things you posted.