Metroid Thread

So I've been replaying the series starting with the first Metroid, just finished Fusion. Playing through each of them one after another got me thinking, which Metroid has the best world structure?

By world structure I mean previous metroids (except for 2) had a world that was divided into a few very large areas (usually 4), while Fusion took a different approach with several smaller areas, hence the question.

So, which one do you guys prefer? I honestly think Fusion does it best because it allows for a greater variety of areas, which makes for a more interesting world. Again Fusion kind of ruined it with its super linear design and having each sector side by side since the world you were in wasn't really a planet, but I find the general concept much more suitable for a Metroid game.

Also discuss stuff about Metroid in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MG17fe1iNAU
youtube.com/watch?v=7ZX2N9_7NO8
metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_1.5
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100
youtu.be/pX4mhp-8sOc
youtu.be/Oz8a-WctBS8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SUPER
METROID
BEST
METROID

It's a bummer that Fusion was so linear most of the time, but I've never felt so tense playing a GBA game. It was also my first Metroid, so it has that nostalgia value for me.

FIRST
Super by far.

I hate space station settings for Metroid. I want to feel a sense of place and not constantly think about the stupidity of having a space station laid out in different biomes.

Hyper Metroid is better than it by far.

Super hands down.

Fuck man it really felt like exploring unknown hostile territory.

Prime

>Fire Emblem is more important than Metriod now

It's not fucking fair

FE is an easy sell

They just have to cater to otakus in Japan/weeaboos abroad, since they'll eat up literally anything with anime girls in it

Metroid doesn't appeal to the Japanese at all, and in the west it faces a lot of competition from other sci-fi stuff

AM2R > SM > Fusion > ZM

I love all of them but the details made the game for me. SM aged poorly.

>the details made the game for me.
same

awesome never knew who they were

Discuss

I wasn't really talking about the setting per se, as I mentioned in the OP Fusion did ruin it a bit in that department. What I meant was that to me having several small areas that are different is better than having a few large areas, which is how Fusion does things.

I played all the 2D games. I'm gonna play the trilogy and other m, so which should i play first?

FederationForceFinalBossAndEnding.jpg

Play the Prime trilogy in order of release

Maybe play Hunters, maybe not; it's not a bad game but it's not spectacular either

Don't play Other M at all

Who's worse for the Metroid franchise, Yoshio "Babyface" Sakamoto or Kensuke "Shithole Remodeler" Tanabe?

Fusion had some very nice looking areas

Retro is. They created expectations for 3D Metroid games that those two cannot hope reach. Retro ruined future Metroid games

>Sakamoto responsible for Metroid and Super Metroid
>Tanabe responsible for the three Prime games
>somehow both should not be allowed to touch the franchise again

Prime was excellent but I think by biggest issue regarding it's world was that Magmoor Caverns pretty much only existed to serve a tunnel connecting to Phendrana, it could've been much more complex and interesting.

>Tanabe responsible for the three Prime games
what I thought that was Retro

>Retro is responsible for the downfall of Metroid
>Because the game they made was too good
[visible confusion]

I got ya covered, user

Super Metroid and Zero Mission are designed in such a way that you can sequence break and deviate from the obvious path without exploiting glitches, don't they? So probably one of those.
Metroid is also non-linear but it can be pretty confusing considering the lack of a map and how many room designs are reused wholesale or only slightly edited, and of course it's smaller than the worlds of later games. Everything else is a lot more linear, I think, even stuff like Prime where sequence breaking seems limited solely to use of unintended glitches.

Though, I guess that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but people seem to like sequence breaking and nonlinearity in Metroid.

Sakamoto got jealous.

>that elevator music
Shit is creepier than SA-X.

What is your best case scenario for the franchise?
Mine is for Nintendo to release a new 3D Metroid on the Wii U/NX (not necessarily Prime) and a 2D Metroid on the 3DS (or even NX depending on what it is) simultaneously and they both sell extremely well, similar to what happened with Fusion/Prime.

Fusion had the appealing visuals while Super had the top tier OST, if we can somehow get a mix of both it would be sex.

Best unrealistic case. We get a new 2D game not involving Sakamoto and/or a new Prime game.

Best realistic case is Nintendo allowing the franchise to die.

The other problem I have with Prime is that there's a little too much forced backtracking without anything new, just to get artifacts that you can't get the first time through.

It's still my favorite game, but if going through Phazon Mines changed all of the enemy encounters everywhere else or if you could pick up more of the artifacts the first time through with enough care, it'd be better.

You are given the task of choosing the director for the next Metroid game.

Who do you pick?

Miyazaki

One of my biggest problems with Prime is so inconsequential that it's hardly an issue, but I really wish they didn't use the Lower Norfair theme from Super Metroid in Magmoor Caverns. It doesn't fit at all and it gets really old really quickly.

Funnily enough, I feel like that theme fits Magmoor rather well and cemented it as a classic in my mind.

In Super Metroid, the song fit perfectly because up until that point, most of the music was low-key and atmospheric, but at this point in the game, you were approaching the end and finally hunting down Ridley, so you got this really bombastic "shit is getting real" theme to go with it. Magmoor Caverns has no reason to have such dramatic, climactic music as it's just a connecting hub between every other area in the game. There's no reason for the music to be like that, and literally the only reason it's there is "this is a lava level, let's use the music for the lava level in Super Metroid." It's the worst kind of fanservice and it adds nothing.

Funnily enough, they had a perfect song they could have used for Magmoor Caverns and they wasted it on a couple of rooms before Magmoor.

youtube.com/watch?v=MG17fe1iNAU

This

best game cube emulator?

edgy opinion here: metroid 1, because it's the one that actually feels lonely, oppressive and alien.

Huh I could definitely see your point, especially since I recently finished replaying super. I guess it just never felt that way to me even on subsequent playthroughs since I played Prime before Super.

I'm replaying through Prime with sequence breaking guides right now and I'm pretty amazed by how unintentionally open this game is.

like how the fuck did people even find out about stuff like getting ice beam before flaahgra or the sun artifact without plasma beam

You'd be surprised how far people will dig into a game to find stuff out.

Federation Force thread?

That final boss is mind blowing.

;bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbump

God damn Prime is so good, I got it christmas 2002 and was so Hype. Prime is by far my favorite but I still have a shrine for all the games.

Its funny you say that, because the original idea was that Magmoor was supposed to be its own area with Thardus as the boss for it, with Phendrana having its own boss that we actually have some concept art and even animations for. We were supposed to get Meta-Kraid as well, as well as the screw attack, and Ive heard rumours that there was supposed to be another segment in Phazon Mines below Omega Pirate, Im assuming youd need the Phazon Suit to get through it so that would actually give the thing a purpose. Im assuming this all got cut due to time and budget constraints, which plagued the games development pretty notoriously. Echoes was even worse, theres no telling what we could have had in that game.

I really liked the atmospheric vibe AM2R gave the Lower Norfair theme in the Tower area, that was nice I thought, and while I agree about the use of Lower Norfair in Prime being a bit unfitting, I thought that the cover of Red Brinstar in Echoes was great.

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZX2N9_7NO8

>theres no telling what we could have had in that game.
metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_1.5

Its interesting seeing how many of these ideas actually did end up appearing in Echoes in some form or other, like the deathmatch mode, or the idea of possibly fighting an evil Samus at the end, having an area filled with robots, and even Morph Ball Bumper Car Super Battle Gaiden even got a bit of an implementation in the Boost Guardian fight. It seems like a lot of the ideas here got implemented into Hunters and even Corruption as well.

It's sad to see how much Nintendo has butchered this franchise, just give us new updated visuals with Super's physics and more areas and I'm pretty sure most of the fanbase will be happy.

>I thought that the cover of Red Brinstar in Echoes was great.

Yeah, I agree. The song really fit in that situation.

And the genetically flawed soldiers were turned into standard Pirates.

NO! ALL YOU GET IS SAMUS IN SM4SH AND AMIIBO

Wheres Hunters?

What I liked about that song was that it fitted the Chozo very well in Super Metroid. you were in a place filled with Chozo statues and ruins, it was like their spirits were watching over you.

Where's Metroid II?

Apologize.

Where's Federation Force

but I always skip grapple beam

dead thread for a dad series

A dad series

>Wanted more Samus pics
>Thread died

Fuck.

No hope for dead franchises

Haven't played it, but it just looks like your typical romhack to me, doesn't seem very special.

Then perhaps you should play it, and find out why everyone likes it so much.
Just ignore the plot. Holy shit the plot is bad.

Honestly I never thought I'd see the day where a game that was exclusively released in Japan for many years would surpass a franchise like Metroid.

We must be living in some weird alternate universe.

I love how Zero Mission managed to tie itself with Super Metroid better.

Zero Mission is a really great example on how to do a remake right.

There are infinite universes out there, son.
Every universe is an alternate universe.

Made it out with 1 health point to spare, Jesus

I ended up liking Zero Mission even more than Super for some reason. I mean I still love Super, but I find myself coming back to Zero more nowadays. What a great game.

>there's a universe where Other M doesn't exist and we got another 2d Metroid on the Wii U
>there's a universe where Metroid is Nintendo's prime IP and not Mario
>but there's also a universe where the first Metroid never sold
>or even got made
>there's even a universe where the events of the series actually took place and are currently still taking place.
>while we are posting there is a real-life Samus Aran fighting real life Space Pirates

D E E P

I don't think I like the Metroid series, I think I just like Prime 1 and 2.

Fusion and Zero Mission are fun games, but I don't really like them compared to Prime. Oh and I've still never played Super Metroid. So yeah, overall I think I just like Retro's first-person adventure/shooter. I'm not a real fan of the series and I'm fine if it doesn't come back.

And we just so happened to get placed in the boring universe with space pirates and Samus and shit. Fuck my life.

If it makes you feel any better, Intelligent Systems is incapable of maintaining a popular franchise. They already nearly fucked up Fates.

Try Super Metroid just for perspective's sake, see how the series evolved. I know it won't be quite as tight as Zero, but the game is still very fun.

>wanting to life in a universe filled with terrorists that the stupid government can't even take care of themselves

Oh wait.

Prime 1/2 and Super are the only ones I really enjoy, so I'd recommend trying Super.

Good point

FE still doesn't sell as well on average as Metroid does.

Nintendo is just surprisingly bad at managing franchises, given how much they rely on those franchises. FE gets to keep going almost entirely because Intelligent Systems wants to keep making it. Metroid stopped because both Sakamoto and Retro moved onto other series, and Nintendo doesn't want to bother finding anyone to replace them.

Honestly I don't blame them.

I think with Other M being a complete a complete train wreck I think the real reason the series has been slow is because the don't have any guarantee that the next game they'll make will be anything near as good as the rest.

Honestly, I would rather them wait it out and find someone that they know could go the series justice than them plop out a half-assed game because of fan outcry.

Fusion and Zero Mission feel different than the other Metroids. They have very fast and tight controls, but they feel too much like standard platformers. Super has much more unique and detailed physics for moving around the world, It's closer to Prime in this regard.

Tanabe does want to make a new Metroid, he just doesn't feel the Wii U is the appropriate console for it.

I'm guessing that's just code for "it's a sinking ship and anything on it is a waste of time"

Why does everyone hate Other M? I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as fusion, prime 1/2, super, etc, but I felt like it was a nice game.

I don't remember the actual quote, but it was something along the lines of "If we started development for a Wii U game now, we wouldn't get finished before that shit is dead"

Most passionate opinions have false basis.

IE, a lot of them didn't actually play the game, and the ones that did are forgetting that the gameplay is top notch compared to most metroid titles.

Here's someone bitching about the game who literally says they never played it and never will: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100

Admittedly I kind of like it. By no means am I saying its combat matches Bayonetta or other games like that, but I kind of liked it. The Metroid Queen Fight was great.

I do think that it has some flaws like the lack of exploration, but man, being able to speed boost in 3D, and the way you can do the screw attack so smoothly, that was handled well.

This is a question that has been answered in numerous rants across hundreds and hundreds of threads countless times.

Just fuckin' google it.

youtu.be/pX4mhp-8sOc
People who like Other M are just as bad as people who say DmC is a good game

how often do you think samus thinks of suicide?

This is the one time I like the west better.

smash 4 got mom suit right. i like it the best out of all her suits

Fuck off namefag.

Isnt yokoi also responsible for Metroid, Super and M2?

How did Nintendo manage to make such a patrician series like Metroid?

It almost feels like it was an accident, but damn I love them for making it, even if it has been fucking abandoned.

Let's see, one made an atrocious game that was billed as his true vision for the series and would have become the standard for it, until it completely bombed and got immense backlash from fans, after which he immediately fucked off and wanted nothing to do with the series, resulting in a fuck huge drought.

The other was behind a single weak spinoff title that was never intended to be any more than a filler game made to kill time while Nintendo's systems die a slow death, and continues to express interest in working on the series in more traditional ways, but continues to be demonized almost entirely because that spinoff came out at a bad time (a bad time that is mostly the result of the other guy's fuck ups).

Yes

daily reminder

>tfw my favorite suit is the SA-X
>you can't ever use it

Tanabe is just a producer and co-produced the first game

he's fucking nothing

I dont give a fuck about the Zero Suit as long as she is an athletic kickass bounty hunter with bird genes

Kano Makoto apparently was the producer too

No. Neither he nor Sakamoto had anything to do with Metroid II, and the only thing he did for Super was repeatedly threaten to cancel it.

Can she have emotions that overwhelm critical thinking, extreme PTSD, and a horrible voice?

>I dont give a fuck about the Zero Sui-
that's not the point of the image, dipshit

fuck the faggots mooching off Prime 1 Samus design because le realism and muh G.I. Jane shit

only good thing about it was the cut voiceover they were going to add in MP1's intro

>abandoned
Don't say that. Not when F-Zero is worse off than Metroid is.
At least Metroid got Federation Force. F-Zero has gotten absolutely fucking nothing for years now.

The change really only suggests that Nintendo wanted to keep Samus's design consistent between games, and doesn't reflect at all on what the Prime team wanted.

You've got awful taste, too, classic Samus is much better

you know, f-zero ALSO has a galactic federation..

I think he was implying that since the new console is coming, it would be better to start development for it there then the Wii U

>GOD TIER
Metroid Prime
Super Metroid
>HIGH TIER
AM2R
Metroid Prime 2
Zero Mission
>GOOD TIER
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Fusion
>MID TIER
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid
Metroid II Return of Samus
Metroi Prime Pinball
>MEH TIER
Metroid Prime Federation Force
>SHIT TIER
Metroid: Other M

How'd I do?

I've never played Super Metroid, but are there any hacks that hacks that keep it mostly unchanged aside from a few tweaks?

Came here to post this.
Also mp1 has a nice map imo

what? what kind of hacks are you talking about?

SM>AM2R>ZM>Fusion

I'd swap Hunters and Prime 3, and maybe move AM2R down one.

I dunno, I guess vanilla-ish? Like some fixes or adjustments that make the game more enjoyable?

It was mostly self explanatory.

Very good list. Personally I would put Prime 3 in Good Tier, but I other than that I agree completely.

You can get most of the artifacts on the first time through*

*if you're playing the superior GC version.

SM has music, atmosphere, decent visuals and TECHNOLOGY

>It was mostly self explanatory
it would be but you said you never played super metroid. so if you never played it, why are you asking for "fixes"? you dont even know if it needs any or if anything is wrong with the game

Link didn't even really have brown hair in those games either. Certainly not that dark.
A dirty blonde maybe, like Twilight Princess.

>tfw you bought the collection on your Wii U since you don't have a GameCube

I'm fucked aren't I?

But it's just the varia suit?

Little worried I won't enjoy it as much because of additions added in later games.

Dolphin ofc. Beated mp1 flawlessly but had some problems on mp2.
If you could get a softmodded wii do yourself a favor and play trilogy without a second thought

>At least Metroid got Federation Force. F-Zero has gotten absolutely fucking nothing for years now.
>what matters is the quantity, not the quality
you guys had a line of good games while metroid got two recent awful entries with one of it's proper-styles (2D Metroid) got left out for years.

what even better? smashfags are actually now learning about F-Zero's history over the years of memeing about Falcon Punch. meanwhile they're still jerking off to the Zero Suit and the other thing i shouldn't bring up due to endless autistic debates about him. (and they're going after Sylux next)

and fucking miyamoto claiming he'll do another one if he can slap a dumb gimmick on the next one.

and a damn indie game to fill in the thirsts of people wanting another F-Zero (Wipeout has Redout, it's fucking rad)

you know two other series that has it more bad than F-Zero? Golden Sun and Advance Wars. fucking Paper Mario has it worse than anyone mentioned here.

rather be a dead franchise than living like Sonic or Spyro.

It's not that bad. Getting them early is really just for repeat playthroughs.

There's a patch that removes the overly long item fanfare that plays out every single time you collect anything, but I don't think you really need that on your first playthrough.

>because of additions added in later games
but you never played it so you dont fucking know if newer games added anything. am i getting through to you here? do you understand why your post was so weird?

Prime 3 really wasn't that good. The waggle, shitty controls, needlessly large amount of cutscenes, and lack of isolation kinda bog it down a little bit. The world design is still stellar, and it looks great as always, but it just isn't a good Metroid game, like Zelda II is good, but not a good Zelda game.

It's a Metroid game, of course the plot is bad (not saying Metroid as a game is bad BTW).

Yu guys seriously don't like Other M, do you?

Don't most early artifact tricks still work? Like bombjumping up to wild or using infinite speed to get sun?

Tanabe did nothing wrong

Yeah but this is really bad.

...Well, I can't really argue with that.
Though I must disagree with you on one point: I think the new Sonic games are going to at least be decent.

hello Metroidlads, how are we doing here tonight?

did you hate Metroid Prime 3 and Other M like you're supposed to be doing?

Why do you assume that I know absolutely nothing about it?

And why is such a crazy thing to assume that NEW GAMES add NEW THINGS?

why is everyone involved in project base so insane

Hey, at least Fed Force is better than the majority of the 2D Metroid games.

Yes, but no early game double jump means you can't get a couple really early on.

The more linear structure of the game and the new characters keep it from being as good as the previous ones, but I'm going to disagree with you completely on the controls. There are a handful of gimmicky "grab and pull this thing" moments, but using motion controls for aiming worked perfectly well and I genuinely think made it control better than the previous ones with their odd control schemes.

>hate Prime 3
come on

this guy isn't involved in Project Base
he just used it to make his own hack

and GP Legend is better than X and GX

And yet still somehow less retarded than Other M's plot

Surely you jestin?

It's only better than Metroid 2

>Why do you assume that I know absolutely nothing about it?
because you dont. newer games REMOVED features present in super. super metroid isnt missing features from future games. its the other way around.

>And why is such a crazy thing to assume that NEW GAMES add NEW THINGS?
because thats not always true and because instantly assuming you need hacks to play an older game without knowing jack shit about it is very very stupid

Super Metroid was probably the first game when I felt the magic of game design. The way it taught wall jumping blew my mind as a kid.

Nah, pointing at a screen has always been a shitty control method, especially when you have to point at the sensor bar. It's kinda what made the Wii one of Nintendo's worst systems, down there with the Virtual Boy and NES. Prime 1 and 2 controlled far better. Hell, Splatoon controls like what a Prime game on the Wii U should control like. I'm just upset that we didn't get one because Retro split up their dev time this gen between Tropical Freeze and ReCore.

Not that Tropical Freeze isn't the best Donkey Kong game to date, and did for the Donkey Kong series what Prime did for Metroid. They're all lovely games. Maybe I'm just selfish for wanting Retro to develop more amazing games.

>And why is such a crazy thing to assume that NEW GAMES add NEW THINGS?
i know right?

these people are clearly silly.

that's like saying Star Fox Guard is better than any traditional Star Fox game before Command.

>ones that did are forgetting that the gameplay is top notch compared to most metroid titles.

Jeez, does there need to be this stupid false claim and subsequent argument in every single Metroid thread? Is M:OM that precious to people to say "the people who played it actually don't realize that metroid games suck"

MOM is just a generic third-person action game with extremely questionable control decisions. Earlier Metroid games aren't supposed to be run-and-gun action games (until they sped things up way too much for my taste with the GBA games), but exploratory "lost in a maze" games in a hostile environment. This is why the Prime games, despite being very slow-paced, still feel like Metroid games, whereas the only thing MOM has going for it is designs it cribs from the rest of the series (adding almost nothing new except a few token creatures).

>Smashfags
Look at this roasty toasty faggot.

it's not, but god damn it's more of a fun game than Zero.

Miyamoto did a good job on this one

No, but Zero is actually the best Star Fox game to date, since it's just an HD version of 64 with superior gyro aiming. If you're only counting the main game, anyways, since Guard is shit compared to multiplayer.

t. the 4.4k people that bought FF

Tell me again how Cred Forums ""supposedly"" doesn't like Metroid: Other M.

>because you dont. newer games REMOVED features present in super. super metroid isnt missing features from future games. its the other way around.
Alright fine you proved me wrong. You don't need to be such an ass about it though.

I'll just go play it vanilla then.

I dunno man, at least Sonic is getting Sonic Mania, which was probably one of the smartest moves Sega has made in many many years.

Sonic was never good.

Solid tastes user... I will just swap hunters with mp3

>Zero is actually the best Star Fox game to date, since it's just an HD version of 64 with superior gyro aiming.
you're referring to the wrong remake

I don't know what to say other than I disagree. The first 2 Prime games always seemed good despite their weird controls, mainly because the games were designed around the player being slightly gimped in that regard. Console FPS games in general always handle strangely, and using motion controls really just seemed to allow for far greater precision than a single stick could.

>HD
>looks worse than 1080p Assault
if Zero had more of the Roadmaster levels, i MAY just move the game up do a 7/10

Mega Man = Kirby > Wario > Donkey Kong > Mario > Yoshi > Sonic

At least in terms of platformers.

Not to mention this hsit
youtu.be/Oz8a-WctBS8

the reason youre a faggot is not because you were wrong, but because of the way you went about it. just instantly assuming the game was shit and needed to be fixed up without even making sure.

its just baffling to me that someone would act like that. i actually cant wrap my head around it. i am dumbfounded by your attitude towards older games

>Kirby not in last place

When a series encourages being "comfy" instead of being challenging, I wouldn't put it above even trash like Sonic 06.

Zero is almost exactly 64, though, which is part of the big blowback against it. It was a great game, but it was another fucking retread of the original Star Fox, and this time priced for $60. Half of the fucking franchise is a retread of that one game.
>Star Fox
>Star Fox 2 (unreleased)
>Star Fox 64
>Star Fox 64 3D
>Star Fox Zero

It's literally just Assault, Adventures, and Command that AREN'T retreads of the same game, and all 3 of them are dogshit.

>Mega Man that high
>Kong that low
>Sonic that low
You're not any better than he is

Zero would look better in every way if Nintendo could into Anti-Aliasing again.

Most of those are so wildly different that comparing them is just comparing apples to oranges.

And just because one series isn't as good as another doesn't make it outright bad.

Mega Man is God Tier. 2 and 3 are the best games on the NES, besides Kirby's Adventure and SMB3.

Donkey Kong is pretty high, considering I put that series above Mario and Yoshi. Sonic is right where he belongs. Better than Ristar, Bubsy, and the other shitty 3rd/4th gen platformers, but nowhere near as good as the other mainstays.

You just have shit taste.

god i can't wait to see was 643D looks like on Citra

fucking Kirby PR looks like Kirby Wii if it was ported on the WiiU not so long ago

can't be 64 without any of it's best and memorable courses famalam

Whats the appeal of kirby? It felt like a gayer slow platforming game

Why though? Kirby has never encouraged being skillful. In a video game, that's kinda necessary.

Retro did not work on ReCore, the people left Retro to make Armature Studios who then made ReCore. Retro is working on 2 unannounced projects

>DK under Kirby
piss off casual

gonna turn this Metroid thread into slaughterhouse if you keep trashtalking your "le comfy shit" on based DK and DKC

Because it's one of the most difficult Nintendo platformers if you want to go for a 100%. It focuses more on combat than on platforming. It's like Mega Man, but with more mobility and the ability to get new powers without having to beat bosses.

Prime
Prime managed to feel even more alien than any of the 2d Metroids by letting you scan and get reasonable explanations for why all the wildlife was attacking youi

Look at these massive retards.

But it's not difficult though. If you've ever even touched a PC game at some point, at best its tedious.

This is the same generation that thinks Dark Souls is hard, I presume.

Your retardedly skewed perception of difficulty is what's wrong here.
>le Dark Souls is not hard meme
Oh fuck off, hipster.

And the "Smartest user in the thread" Award goes to...
Mega Man Classic is clunky beyond hell and only the first few X games feel even remotely enjoyable to play.
Those games are hard only because you control like complete ass.

Classic Sonic has masterful controls, and fuck you for implying Ristar was bad.
Wrong.
Games are about being entertaining, difficulty is entirely optional.

It's like saying all good movies need to have good comedy.

>you are now considered retarded for preferring non-casual shit over "muh comfy" trash like Kirby
this is why Kirbyfags are fucking cancer

DK > Kirby, end of story. now piss off

>Games are about being entertaining, difficulty is entirely optional.
So if a game is just a movie and you watch a bunch of cutscenes back to back, it's good as long as you're "Entertained"?

Of course. Ask the MGS fanbase.

SUPER
METROID
SUPER
OVERRATED

>Retro split up their dev time this gen between Tropical Freeze and ReCore.
>ReCore
this shit again?

I never once used the "comfy" argument, you fucking retard. Piss off. Kirby is just a better game than Donkey Kong.

Super Star > DKC > DKC 3 > DKC 2

>implying Donkey Kong is even hard to begin with
Challenge =! Gameplay.

A game can be easy and still be entertaining.

>DKC2 that fucking low
Fuck you

>Challenge =! Gameplay.

t. modern game journalism.

>Mega Man Classic is clunky beyond hell
The fuck? Megaman is tight as fuck.

It does some neat things with its combat mechanics
My friends raved that in one of the games you actually suck in a boss's heathbar in order to defeat them

>Clunky
No, they are not. They control heavenly. I've never once had any complaints about the controls.

>Sonic controls masterfully
Yes, I'm afraid that's the only thing Sonic games do great. They have good music, look alright, and the levels and gameplay design are mediocre. Mario games have nearly the same problem, but they suffer more so from lack of variety rather than poor gameplay design.

What would you put it higher than? Aside from the original Donkey Kong game, Donkey Kong Jr., and Donkey Kong 94.

It's not a bad game, just not better than the other Country games.

while i disagree with DKC 1/2 being low like 3, i'm glad to be reminded Kirby only had one decent game in the series since Sakurai left

all else is forced gimmick trashe

DKC2 is the best of the 3, I dont know what the fuck is wrong with you to think otherwise

>>implying Donkey Kong is even hard to begin with
do tell

>a greater variety of areas, which makes for a more interesting world. Again Fusion kind of ruined it with its super linear design and having each sector side by side since the world you were in wasn't really a planet,

this, pretty much. also, zero mission had an incredibly well connected world. prime 2 had the cooler atmosphere compared to prime 1, but prime 1 was much more logically connected.

Megaman 6 was my favorite. It had the best music.

Return to Dreamland > DKC Returns

Air Ride > Jungle Beats, Konga, and Barrel Blast.

Crystal Shards > DKC 64

METROID
FUSION
HANDHOLD
DELUSION

>how a game plays is the same thing as how hard a game is
There's one Game that instantly proves you wrong and that's Rhythm Heaven.
Haha no, what does tight even mean in this context?
>No, they are not. They control heavenly. I've never once had any complaints about the controls.
Yeah, you haven't, but I think Mega falls,like a,goddamn rock and his movement is stiff and makes Metroid 1's control look like a masterpiece.

>Yes, I'm afraid that's the only thing Sonic games do great. They have good music, look alright, and the levels and gameplay design are mediocre. Mario games have nearly the The problem, but they suffer more so from lack of variety rather than poor gameplay design.
Explain further, because I think the level design is pretty great in 2, 3, and Knuckles.

I like all of the NES Mega Man games, but I think 3 had the best music. Shadow Man, Hard Man, Snake Man, Needle Man, and especially Magnet Man were all amazing songs. Not to mention the iconic Breakman's theme.

6 was pretty good. I just think that it would've been better on the SNES, which was out for years at the time it came out. The music and color palette, memory, and etc would've all been greatly improved. My only fear would be Capcom updating to Mega Man 7's shitty style.

>There's one Game that instantly proves you wrong and that's Rhythm Heaven.
A mediocre cash-in on par with Knack? I fail to see your point.

>Return to Dreamland > DKC Returns
Kumazaki can't make a good Kirby game, sorry.

>A mediocre cash-in on par with Knack? I fail to see your point.
So you just have shit tastes then, OK.

Well, I prefer my video games to be videogamey, and not "comfortable cinematic experiences". so I'd say I have good taste.

thanks

Oh, so you're just a shitposter. Everyone move along.

Mega Man is definitely far heavier than other platformes, but he makes up for it with pretty consistently fast movement and turn speed. You can do some pretty insane stuff in 2, and 3 introduces the slide, making his mobility and control even greater.

>Explain further
I just don't think Sonic has a very good concept behind the games. Going fast is fine and all, but Sonic 1 failed to implement good level design and focused simply on finishing the Acts fast. 2, 3, CD, and &Knuckles dropped the "GOTTA GO FAST" approach to level design, and made more maze like levels that put emphasis on carving your own route through the game rather than just busting it to the finish. Mario was always, and will always, be a far better "get to the finish ASAP" platformer than Sonic, which shines when it tries more expansive levels.

Which is why I think Sonic as a whole hasn't been good. There's vastly more bad games than good games in the line up. Adventures 1 & 2, Boom, 06, and etc. The games were only good in the mid-to-late 90's, with the exception of Generations and Colors.

>Oh, so you're just a shitposter.
Why do you say that?

It's the best Kirby game, though. It controls amazingly, considering it's on the awful Wiimote, the level design is far and away the best the series has ever seen because of lack of gimmicks, the power-up choice is the 2nd best in the series, the presentation is amazing (especially the fantastic OST, love the Butter Building and Grape Garden remixes), and it had some of the best multiplayer in any Kirby game.

The only problem is the dumb cutscene powerups that have been plaguing the series since then.

Kirby is the definition of "videogamey" you shitposter. Less story than the original Mario, cutscenes are only for bosses and moving on to the next world, and you can do whatever you want in the game, with no railroading or handholding.

Mega Man controls are great, they just aren't based around momentum like Mario or Sonic. They're based on precise control, so you can stop and start exactly when you need to. I don't even know how you could find that bad in any sense, unless you're just weird.

hey ACfag if you really want to spew your autism over cinematics and casual games, come over to this thread

Videogamey also entails a form of challenge. Without that, you're just walking down a hallway, mindlessly pressing buttons and looking at the pretty colors.

Tell me this: what is the difference between, oh say, Kirby: Planet Robobot and Uncharted 4? In neither game are you capable of dying unless you intentionally stop and let the enemy kill you. At no point does the game ask yu to think outside the box. At no point do you have to make a snap decision. You just walk along a straight line half the time, and the game practically bends over and lets you win.

By the time I get to Uncharted's hard mode, or Kirby's True Arena, I long since stop caring. You didn't want to challenge me, so I can't be bothered to say that your game is good.

DON'T BRING HIM THERE
>DON'T BRING HIM THERE
DON'T BRING HIM THERE
>DON'T BRING HIM THERE
DON'T BRING HIM THERE
>DON'T BRING HIM THERE
DON'T BRING HIM THERE

I'd say the only "clunky" classic one was the first, just because Mega Man carries a bit of momentum after you release the d-pad. It's definitely still playable but it still felt weird after adapting.

Someone explain to me why Metroid Prime 2 is so popular on this board. I'm playing it for the first time and I'm not seeing it.

So far, it's been like Metroid Prime, but more irritating in every way. It feels like Water Temple: The Game. Want to get from point A to point B? Well you'll have to go through three dozen cutscene transitions on the way there. Forgot a small key? Haha, fuck you, go all the way back through the same cutscene transitions, twice.

There's a good Metroid game in there but it's padded with all this bullshit unnecessary tedium. Why does finishing an area require going through a slow-ass bomb turnstile twice, watching a cutscene, backtracking through the entire game to get back to the hub, going through another slow-ass bomb turnstile twice, and then watching another cutscene before I'm allowed into the next area? What does that add to the game?

Sorry you're a huge retard who doesn't know the difference between gameplay and skill.
>Mega Man is definitely far heavier than other platformes, but he makes up for it with pretty consistently fast movement and turn speed. You can do some pretty insane stuff in 2, and 3 introduces the slide, making his mobility and control even greater.
In a game about jumping platform to platform having the jumping heavy makes it harder to get around. This is only made more difficult because of annoying enemy placement
>I just don't think Sonic has a very good concept behind the games. Going fast is fine and all, but Sonic 1 failed to implement good level design and focused simply on finishing the Acts fast. 2, 3, CD, and &Knuckles dropped the "GOTTA GO FAST" approach to level design, and made more maze like levels that put emphasis on carving your own route through the game rather than just busting it to the finish. Mario was always, and will always, be a far better "get to the finish ASAP" platformer than Sonic, which shines when it tries more expansive levels.
Sonic wasn't just about getting there fast, you had to know what you where doing and had to take advantage of.the level.
>Which is why I think Sonic as a whole hasn't been good. There's vastly more bad games than good games in the line up. Adventures 1 & 2, Boom, 06, and etc. The games were only good in the mid-to-late 90's, with the exception of Generations and Colors.
Adventure and SA2 aren't that bad, they're dated but still enjoyable.
I don't like games that make me feel like I'm controlling a tank. I would like some about of leniency which my control, ESPECIALLY with jumping.

DELET THIS

>In a game about jumping platform to platform having the jumping heavy makes it harder to get around. This is only made more difficult because of annoying enemy placement

I hate to resort to saying this, but did you ever consider that you might just be bad at it?

>Sorry you're a huge retard who doesn't know the difference between gameplay and skill.
What is the difference between these scenarios then?

>walk down corridor in a cutscene, can only press one button to skip the scene
>walk down corridor in gameplay, but nothing is there, so you basically press one button to move right

What is the fundamental thing that makes one scenario better than the other? Difficulty is what gives gameplay the advantage over cinematic junk.

Literally fuck off ACfag. Go fuck up some other threads.

>play ZM on an emulator as first metroid
>fell in love with it
>play fusion
>hate it
>the level design on fusion is absolute shit and while i dont consider Adam a piece of shit that breaks immersion i think it was too heavy on dialogue
>began playing SM
>holy fucking shit man it aged so badly
>playing the lastest 2D metroids spoiled me so bad and i cant stand it
>i mean, i am trying, i think i got to around half of the game, after i got the grappling hook (shit item) but its so painful to play the game
>play AM2R
>its fine, but the fact that its a fangame is still pretty obvious, graphics dont have the same quality all around, and metroid 2 while it was the best game to remake it had shitty level design

Super metroid remake/fan remake when?

Waiting to get a better joystick or joypad to try Dolphin and Metroid Prime.

he's never fucking off

It is an argument. Being ACfag invalidates everything that is said. I don't make the rules, sorry.

I remember that post

>mfw Federation Force involved treating Samus like she wasn't important in her own series, before making her into a brainless idiot who gets beat up by men because she's a "stupid woman"

It rhymed with Other M like poetry, just like I predicted.

My Metroid games is limited to the Prime series and Fusion. But I loved the Prime games, layout and everything. It was an awesome world to explore.

Dead series general?

pls leave

and take your competing shitposting rival Cody with you too

>Videogamey alsoentails a form of challenge.
No.
Without that, you're just walking down a hallway, mindlessly pressing buttons and looking at the pretty colors.
That doesn't make sense.
>Tell me this: what is the difference between, oh say, Kirby: Planet Robobot and Uncharted 4?
Everything?
>In neither game are you capable of dying unless you intentionally stop and let the enemy kill you.
False
>At no point does the game ask you to think outside the box.
Unless you're going for 100.
>At no point do you have to make a snap decision.
Why should that matter?
>You just walk along a straight line half the time, and the game practically bends over and lets you win.
Ok.
>By the time I get to Uncharted's hard mode, or Kirby's True Arena, I long since stop caring. You didn't want to challenge me, so I can't be bothered to say that your game is good.
It's clear you haven't actually played the game and are just looking for an excuse to say complete nonsense in an attempt to prove a "point."
It's OK if you don't like Kirby but saying the entire series is objectively awful by using a subjective opinion it makes you look mental.
I won't say that I'm amazing at games, but Sonic is certainly not easy because of better control.

Zero Mission is a fine game but you must be insane to think it's better than Fusion or Super. So much handholding that doesn't even have the excuse of a story like in in Fusion, the map design is worse because it has to follow the original layout, Chozodia is tacked onto the ending like an afterthought, no thought is given into how some parts of the map should be the same as they are in Super, Mother Brain directly attacking you. So much went wrong with that game that could've been a hell of a lot better

I created my own head canon where the Pirates lure Samus into the Doom's Eye and they never fight her but lead her into the room she was held captive in. Samus sees the machine and then just like what Eggman did to Super Sonic at the beginning of Sonic Unleashed, the Pirates capture Samus in an energy field and brainwash her. So in other words, the Pirates knew they would lose to Samus so they tricked her to capture her. This honestly better be what really happened.

So, what you're saying is that I'm not allowed to criticize Kirby? Why? Are you some kind of professional whose opinion means more in this context? Please elaborate.

>It's OK if you don't like Kirby but saying the entire series is objectively awful by using a subjective opinion it makes you look mental.
But it's not really subjective. i can compare it to multiple other games that came out this year alone that had more difficulty. Even the option of letting me have more difficulty, without requiring a "collect 100% of everything" gimmick is far more valuable.

Why is it such a sin to say that I can't get into Kirby because it's too easy? Yet if I said I hated Uncharted for being too casualized for a larger audience, I wouldn't get a single negative reply?

>Metroid Prime 2 is so popular on this board
Is it? The world layout is clunky and confusing, that's true. But the atmosphere outside of the hub is pretty awesome, especially Torvus and the Future-y electro place. The weapon selection is not as fun as Prime 1. The luminoths are also not as interesting as the chozo.

I don't think I've ever actually beaten the game. I get to the fetch quest at the end and say "fuck it" and do something else.

Nah. She basically gets jumped by lackeys who suddenly become competent for 10 seconds and beat her mercilessly.

Yet these "genius" space pirates can't do anything with her but turn her into a rolling ball that slowly travels around the room in a boring boss fight.

>So much handholding
Dont remember any of it

>the map design is worse because it has to follow the original layout

What? its taking place in the same planet as SM and its not a 1:1 pass of the original metroid map

>Chozodia is tacked onto the ending like an afterthought
Because its just something that surprises veterans of the first game, yet the game doesn't feel the need to make the entire game revolve about that part? its something new that was added just to make the game feel fuller. You only feel that it was added as an afterthought because there was no indication that it exists until you play it, but that's not a con to me.

>Mother Brain directly attacking you
Oh noes! This ruined the game!

Prime 2 version is utter shit though.

Dude, you're arguing with ACfag. No matter what you say he's going to respond with "BURHUR MOVIE GAMES YOU LIKE OTHER M WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO A NINTENDRONE LIKE YOU"

You might as well argue with dogs.

FUCK

Whatever you say "Cody". Other M is a good game after all, according to you. Right?

Am I the only one who thinks ZSS is really ugly?
I have a massive spandex fetish but that face looks like it was torn off and stapled back on by medical students.

This why I couldn't get into Zero Mission. In all honesty I will be happy if Nintendo stops focusing on remakes and prequels and just make a sequel.

No offense but Zero Mission and Other M were a mistake and I'm not talking about the Zero Suit even though that could have came in Metroid 5 whenever it was made.

>So, what you're saying is that I'm not allowed to criticize Kirby? Why? Are you some kind of professional whose opinion means more in this context? Please elaborate.
You're allowed to critique, but I'm also allowed to defend it as well as call you out on your bullshit.
>But it's not really subjective. i can compare it to multiple other games that came out this year alone that had more difficulty. Even the option of letting me have more difficulty, without requiring a "collect 100% off everything" gimmick is far more valuable.
>Why is it such a sin to say that I can't get into Kirby because it's too easy? Yet if I said I hated Uncharted for being too casualized for a larger audience, I wouldn't get a single negative reply?
Well gee it's almost like difficulty is subjective or something.

The fact that we're even having this argument to begin with should be proof enough that difficulty is subjective.

Does everyone love Dark Souls because of it's difficulty? No.
There are plenty of people including myself that think it's a trial and error mess of a game and think those games have cheap and unsatisfying gameplay. There are others however that like figuring out shit by trial and error and feel accomplished by finally succeeding.
People like different things, and that includes levels and types of challenge.

>You're allowed to critique, but I'm also allowed to defend it as well as call you out on your bullshit.
If you disagree, you're more than welcome to state your point. I've not yet denied you that.

>People like different things, and that includes levels and types of challenge.
That's why I try to factor in other things to give a more broad view of the game. As far as I know, in other games in 2016, if you want more difficulty, you can select it right from the start. But in your average kirby game, before things are even allowed to look slightly difficult, you have to pointlessly collect items and/or wait for the True Arena. I find that to be a sizable flaw. Why not just give me an option to make the game the equivalent of the true arena at the start? What Kirby does is not quite commendable, and for a series people praise as so good, it's unforgivable.

>If you disagree, you're more than welcome to state your point. I've not yet denied you that.
And I have stated my point.
>That's why I try to factor in other things to give a more broad view of the game. As far as I know, in other games in 2016, if you want more difficulty, you can select it right from the start.
Not every single game has that option, it depends on the game.
>But in your average kirby game, before things are even allowed to look slightly difficult, you have to pointlessly collect items and/or wait for the True Arena. I find that to be a sizable flaw. Why not just give me an option to make the game the equivalent of the true arena at the start? What Kirby does is not quite commendable, and for a series people praise as so good, it's unforgivable.
You see the problem is that you're calling out Kirby for something it never went out to do in the slightest.
Kirby is and never was about getting through tough challenges and overcoming obstacles, it's about a pink puffball fucking murdering everything in sight. Kirby is more of a hack and slash/beat em up with platforming than anything else.

Kirby is no wear near perfect, but it doesn't have to be. It's simple, and that's what makes it fun. And if you're looking for complex gameplay and high stakes or other shit Kirby certainly isn't the game for you, and that's fine.
Calling out the games as shitty because of something entirely subjective and that the game's have never tried to do its just absurd. You wouldn't say Mario is bad because it doesn't have an epic and grand tale now would you?

Now let's just agree to disagree, because I really don't want to argue more about a pink ball in a thread about a space bounty hunter.

>Not every single game has that option, it depends on the game.
True, which is why it's a flaw and isn't something to be defended, regardless of IP. This isn't just a problem exclusive to Kirby.

>You see the problem is that you're calling out Kirby for something it never went out to do in the slightest.
Here's the problem. It's a video game. It should be striving to provide some kind of challenge options. This is just something that defines a video game: a barrier that you have to overcome, that doesn't just let you by easily.

Let me reiterate what I'm saying:I'm not attacking Kirby for being cutesy and colorful and lighthearted. I'm not some dudebro who needs guns and violence and sex in everything. I'm simply criticizing the fact that Kirby uses its comfy facade to hide the lack of challenge in the way. Whether or not you consider this a problem, it's still a major turnoff compared to many other games that at the least offer multiple difficulty modes, and is not unlike the modern gaming industry that loves to take challenge out games. You remember Undertale, right? It had this problem too, by making half the fights in the game scripted so you couldn't lose, and in the final final boss, this was even true in a literal sense. Everyone praised it as gold because of the "aesthetics" and "story" but failed to take into account the quality of the gameplay, the most important aspect. And now everyone is following this example, like that hipster game YIIK, which features the ability to "skip the problematic gameplay to get to the story". And no, I'm not kidding. This is being advertised as a key feature. So with this in mind, I expected Nintendo of all people, and their affiliates, to not fall into the "comfy" meme.

>You wouldn't say Mario is bad because it doesn't have an epic and grand tale now would you?
I wouldn't speak too highly of Mario these days because, again, I don't find his games too difficult. And that's the same way I feel about Kirby.

Contrary to what you might think, I don't think Kirby is irredeemable trash. I just think very lowly of it for not wanting to challenge the player. I'll still consider it higher than games that don't even want to be games, like The Order 1886, since they don't have much story in them (which is good, games shouldn't need to rely on massive amounts of story) but I can't just give it a free pass because it "wants to be comfy" and "simple". You're asking 50-60 bucks from me for this game, so I expect something that'll give me a decent challenge, last me a long time, or offer me some kind of replay incentive. Without challenge, the latter two have a hard time existing. And I consider their attitude to be on par with cinematic games, even if the gameplay is a bit higher up. It's still, in the end, a damaging mindset that misses the point of the medium.

Zero Mission is over a decade old, it's not exactly a fresh take on the series either.

As a counterpoint to this, I think that the Magmoor Caverns music suits quite well.

Compared to Super, Prime's music was more energetic from the get-go. The frigate theme wasn't low-key or subtle, the main Chozo Ruins theme was upbeat and bright, etc.

You spend the first section of the game in the Ruins. It's a quiet, mysterious, nonthreatening place with occasional swells of excitement, but overall, it's got a kinda homey and comforting vibe about it.

There's a real sense to progression and 'up-the-ante' once you square off against Flaaghra, your first main boss, finally regain the Varia Suit, then plunge into the fiery bowels of the planet. You're exploring a harsh, dangerous new environment that's a complete tone shift, and the music heightens the sense of danger and andventure.

Then everything flips on its head once again when you reach Phendrana. The music might wear thin after multiple traversals, but as an initial setpiece, it's incredible.

agreed with this. You'd be surprised how well the game can showcase an environment with nothing but a well placed camera scroll and carefully selected musical ambiance.

Yeah but at the same time is as good as Nintendo making 2D metroids is.

Fusion may be simplifying shit a little bit too much, super metroid gameplay is dated as fuck, AM2R its fine but the fact that its doing a remake of the worst oldschool metroid doesn't help.

I really wanna see super metroid with zero mission gameplay so that playing the game doesn't become a crawl.

Have i been also spoiled by zero mission and fusion that i cant stand having ressuply and save points so far away? I hate grinding.

OP here, glad to see this thread is still alive, goes to show at least Metroid's fanbase is far from dead.

I feel like Super gives you more control when you get used to it. If I were remaking Super, all I'd want to take from ZM would be respin and shinespark storing.

Speaking of which, there's romhack called Project Base that adds those things and more. You might want to check it out.

Honestly I kind of wonder why they even made Zero Mission in the first place. I mean, I like the game and everything, but a remake of the first game feels kind of pointless considering Super Metroid was already something of an updated retread of the original.

SM had the same general plot, takes place on the same planet, has the same areas, enemies, and bosses as the original NES game, and even seemed designed for people who played the original by doing little things here or there to subvert their expectations.

I really enjoyed ZM for what it was, but I'd have preferred a brand new game over a remake.

I will. But like i said, i could just be spoiled because my frist experience was the fast gameplay from ZM.

Then again, i HAVE been playing SM with a keyboard, maybe a joystick will make it better.

I imagine the run button makes playing on keyboard annoying. Maybe try binding left/right on the same key for running. You never really need to let go of the run button unless you're doing short-charged speedboosts anyway.

Fusion was criticized pretty heavily for being so different from the other Metroid games. They probably wanted to make a "safe" game instead of doing anything crazier with the series.

Agreed on ds. My wife played that shit and liked it, and told me i would like it because I loved Maximo.

But in Maximo you could see what you had to do, then say "fuck, they want me to do what?", then do it anyway.

In ds, you run around at random getting killed by each boss until you learn when you are allowed to attack it. Yes that's a gross oversimplification but it wasn't "my kind of hard".

headered or unheadered? what's the fucking difference?

How does ridley come back in super metroid?

It's a Metroid flavoured action game, so it is what it is. They should have sold it as a spin-off rather than trying to pass it off as a legitimate entry to the series. It's the same thing as if they tried to sell Hyrule Warriors as the next console Zelda title.

You know I was wondering the same thing, from what I read he didn't die in the original Metroid, though I haven't seen any explanation on that.

>Super gives you more control when you get used to it
It absolutely does. Fusion and Zero Mission have tight controls but at the same time they feel completely weightless as there's no momentum at all. Meanwhile Super Metroid gives you full control over your run speed with the dash button AND you conserve your momentum when you jump. There's no running jump at all outside of speed boosting in the two handheld titles.

The same way Mother Brain and Kraid did; the space pirates resurrected them.

There's some scans in Prime 1 that talk about how the pirates rebuilt him.

How do you resurrect something that was blown to pieces?

Advanced alien technology

Ain't gotta explain shit

You have the DNA right? That's it.

I think one of the big things that makes AM2R feel so good is that it controls like ZM, but you have actual momentum in the air instead of coming to a complete halt when you do anything.

If I remember correctly Sakamoto wanted the team to experience a Metroid game that played similarly to the first three games as a way to prepare them for Metroid 5. Metroid: Fusion was the Wario Land teams first Metroid game and it was different from the first three games because Sakamoto allowed the team freedom and after Fusion he wanted the team to get the feel of a more opened Metroid game with Zero Mission. If Metroid 5 was ever made or is ever made I can see it combining both elements of both Fusion and Zero Mission into one game. Don't expect to see Zero Suit's gameplay return though since Sakamoto stated that was only a throwback to the Justin Bailey code from the original game.