What FPS games have level design similar to Quake...

What FPS games have level design similar to Quake? Quake's my first experience with games that have this kind of map navigation.

Unreal has a lot of vertical map navigation. Good AI too.

Games abandoned design in favor of open spaces and just giving the player everything without the need to work for it.

Honestly not sure how interested I am in AI at the moment, I really enjoy the pace of games like Quake and Serious Sam because the enemy AI design is so relentlessly one-track and aggressive.

Dark Forces 2 has tons of verticality. Moreso than Quake with giant maps and secrets peppered all over the place.

quake 1 level design is one of a kind, you aren't going to find anything like it. not even unreal has anything similar, all its areas are corridors and tiny slopes among other shit and this passes as "vertical"

see those tunnels? see those portals? see that water? those are different paths

Really? Is Quake 2's level design as interesting as the first game's? I might be willing to suffer through the game for that. I know McGee stuck around for that game even though Peterson left.

>that aim

How much of a nightmare it is to run in Win10?

unironically TF2 (not all maps though)

>Is Quake 2's level design as interesting as the first game's?

Mostly, yes. Some maps surpass anything in Q1 in complexity

Q2 is a great SP campaign. Doom 3 is similar to it

quake 2 has some verticality too but only in multiplayer really. it is however more visually attractive level design

>Some maps surpass anything in Q1 in complexity
post even one example

You can mostly pick anything - the maps are larger in Q2

Here's an early favorite

I thought about including some examples of the FPS level design I had experienced, but it didn't seem that related. I definitely understand some TF2 maps did work well, I adore Gravel Pit for probably the same reasons I liked a lot of Quake's levels.

not my webm

Unreal Engine itself supports areas far larger than Quake Engine. Calling the game a bunch of corridors is a disservice to the game. The sci-fi/spaceship areas are all nonlinear with multiple floors you can access. Unfortunately I didn't take any good pictures showing this but I might hop in on an older save and take one.

Runs fine on win7, just get the 227 patch and play in OpenGL.

>not my webm
why are you telling me you faggot you're anonymous anyway it makes no difference to me and shouldn't to you kys

i don't think bigger inherently means more complex.

Then what equates to "more complex", o contrarian faggot?

Quake 2 targeted computers with double the RAM of the Quake 1 recommended specs, and Quakescript was greatly enhanced to allow for far more complex "puzzles" and environmental tricks

You're insane if you think this didn't lead to more complex maps. They're bigger and more things are happening. They used the extra space for useful geometry and rooms, so even if they were the exact same as in Q1 scripting-wise they would still be more complex

Quake 2 is inherently more complex than Quake 1 due to non linear map design whereas in Quake 1 once you finish a level you never revisit it.

what game?

literally first level

only one level exit but multiple routes you can take in the very beginning

kys ys

COM-PU-TER
UP-DA-TED

>only one level exit but multiple routes you can take in the very beginning
implying quake 1 didn't have this too. are you fucking retarded?

*literally first level in quake has this as well

TFC and Fortress Forever are closer to Quake than TF2 is in terms of level design (and mechanics)

>im contrarian
its pretty much accepted that quake 2 is slow linear grocery list objective ridden piece of shit with not even 1/10th as many secrets as quake 1. and also since fucking when did more ram instantly equal more complex? boy i sure do love the complexity of call of duty! i mean its made for computers hundreds of times more powerful than computers quake was made for! all the "puzzles" of quake 2 were buttons right fucking next to a door, or destructable paths with a giant fucking crack next to it, more complex my asshole

that doesn't mean anything, there are simpler games with you revisiting levels.

have you even seen the first fucking level of quake 1? the literal first screen has a secret and a small branch, those three single health capsules was all that was up there, a 1 additional perma health was to the right with some grenades woo, thats fucking it other than the useless silencer under the stairs, there are two optional weapons in the first level of quake, two mega health secrets, a yellow armor secret down a narrow path underwater, there was so much more going on

>*still* arbitrarily changing what complexity means
muh secrets
muh powerful items

>can't imply correctly
sasuga reddit

>complex level design is not complexity
alright

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
KILL ME NOW
LET ME GO
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what's the command you could type in so it plays the demo during the menu in quakespasm?

>and also since fucking when did more ram instantly equal more complex? boy i sure do love the complexity of call of duty!

More RAM = larger maps. The extra space was used for extra rooms, not to just make empty spaces. Every Q2 level has more rooms, more space to traverse, and more things to remember.

is that all you got since you were btfo?

make it stop make it stop
it hurts
let me ouuut
baaaaa-aaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaah

>secrets and items are complexity

you mean more meaningless filler, like this for example almost every room in there was completely empty except a single ammo pack. the levels in quake 1 were much more memorable, even the difficulty select level was more complex than every single quake 2 level

>empty 4x5 unit rooms is complexity

Secrets are a valid way of implementing level complexity.

Dark Forces 2 is bigger, has more verticality than Quake, and has more secrets. DF2 confirmed for most complex FPS of all time.

Because killing the enemy in the first 3 seconds of the webm would do wonders for showing off the AI.

prove it

he has to deal with mouse smoothing and vsync by default no shit he cant aim

>that fov
just why

more webms if you got them though, just hope less of that obnoxious fov

>he's too retarded to enable DirectInput
kys

i don't have anymore, i just recorded it, any suggestions? also its 108 fov and its comfortable

no, its just clear vsync is on in that video

I don't remember a single Doom 1&2 or Quake level, they're boring gray and brown hallways and platforms.

>any suggestions?
just post cool gameplay

Do it yourself. You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing it.

I think it's just to show what happens when you try to hide behind a pillar.