Why does no one ever talk about this game? Yeah F.3.A.R kinda ruined the series but the first one is awesome

Why does no one ever talk about this game? Yeah F.3.A.R kinda ruined the series but the first one is awesome.

Because its 11 years old and no one could run it at the time.

OP is a fag.

Check my 0.

There's nothing to talk about, this game if great, everyone loves it. It's timeless, great graphics and physics.

There's just nothing else to add

Cred Forums loves FEAR and I personally even love FEAR2.

>Why does no one ever talk about this game?
It's old, fairly linear, not very long, multiplayer is dead and there's no new games in the series coming out so it doesn't create new discussions that often. It's still a fantastic game though.

There is like a small majority of players on F.E.A.R combat though...

It's literally one of the most Cred Forums core games there is, there's very few games like it where everyone loves it

check this 2 fag

what is monolith doing nowadays anyway?

Just played it for the first time yesterday
It's good, but I think Cred Forums hyped me up on it too much. The AI and slow motion aren't as impressive as Cred Forums usually makes it out to be.

Not being awesome...

slaving for warner bros.

Just to ask, are the bonus missions and exclusive weapons worth it on the console versions of F.E.A.R?

>The AI isn't impressive

you what mate? FEAR has the best AI of the entire FPS genre. believe it or not, fucking MIT wrote a paper about it.

>console versions of F.E.A.R

>love FEAR a lot, doesn't need saying but the game is truly fantastic
>decide to play Monolith's older games to see how they stack up
>can't run any of them, not even the installers
but the best part about it is
>managed to get them to run in a Windows 98 virtual machine
>they run like shit, all of them
i just wanted to play SHOGO and No One Lives Forever, damn it

Never got very far when I first played it. Has it aged well, still worth finishing?

>I personally even love FEAR2.

ma nigga.
sure FEAR2 was a letdown due to it's console focus but it's still a damn good FPS with fun shooting, great design and atmosphere and an interesting story.

Hell yes, to both questions.

Not the same user, but that was the version I played and I still enjoyed the fuck out of the game.

YES!!!!!!

The game is frequently mentioned on this board and it's generally recognized as a good game.

I remember torrenting this shit with my shit internet for like 2 weeks and my shit PC didn't even ran it. Now that I have a good PC and 30mb/s, I got way too many games to even care about downloading it, may do it sometime tough.

why is she so perfect

I didn't say it wasn't the best in the genre, I said it wasn't that impressive. Or at least, the game didn't make use of it well enough. The AI can be completely defeated by you, stationary, leaning out from cover. They can flank you, sure, but most of the time that just leads to them exposing themselves and you blasting them with your shotgun. I think they're just very vocal, which makes them seem smarter than they are, or dumber, when it doesn't work.
>He's too fast!
>I'm standing still using slow motion to get easy headshots
>He's hiding in the cubicle!
>hey yeah I am, that's cool, but the guy saying that is on the other side of a wall where he can't see me
oops

You would have enjoyed the PC version more.

Why would you even play a first-person shooter on a console in the first place?

>Has it aged well, still worth finishing?
As a first-person shooter it's gold even this day, very unlike other even older games such as Deus Ex or VTMB, that despite being great also come with shoddier and outdated feeling combat mechanics.

Visually some of the areas are too samey and textures may not be that stellar, but it makes a fantastic use of lightning and gives even many new FPS a run for their money.

That PC was wasted on whoever made that.

ghost fetish

Because I grew up a console gamer and it's what I gravitate towards. I'll probably play the PC version one day, but I seriously don't find it that bad playing a FPS on a console.

>its an 'absolute fucking retarded mongoloid complains that FEARs artificial intelligence is too artificial' episode

This absolute bullshit shows up in every thread, is it the same subhuman every time? What's the deal.

>which makes them seem smarter than they are

Yeah, no fucking shit.

inb4 contrarians

Any mods that are must install? Or just go in and enjoy as is? I think I only got an hour in when I first played.

If you played F.E.A.R, you would always shoot some guy in the stomach, only for him to step around as if he stubbed in toe.

but people are always glorifying the game, op.

>tfw using nail gun for the first time

Chill the fuck out
>artificial intelligence is too artificial
Is it not the goal of artificial intelligence to appear less artificial? Am I missing something? You must be the same person in every thread that acts like the FEAR AI is the greatest thing to have ever graced video games

It plays fine without modifications and at least I'm not aware of any big mods. However if you're getting massive low frame rate issues that's a problem with Logitech drivers and there are solutions for that.

>office simulator with boring gunplay but also a bullet time gimmick
rather just play max payne

>boring gunplay

>tfw my FEAR version insta-crashes on startup, even reinstalling cannot fix
Was enjoying the game up until then

How is it not boring? None of the guns have any kick, the sound is terrible, and enemies hardly react to being shot (unless its by a shotgun, in which case they fly across the room)

>None of the guns have any kick, the sound is terrible

muh d

literally all me

>Why does no one ever talk about this game?
Because you're not around when people are discussing it. This is a bad way to start a FEAR thread

Well sorry, but i never see a thread...

FEAR suffers from poor level design, mostly offices and linear concrete corridors. It is also too easy, even without savescumming. This also means that the games are VERY short (see pic related, my full play-through times).
Lastly, for a game so focused on gunplay, it did not feature any large-scale shootouts. At best, you get what - ten enemies? - in a wide area with plenty of cover to play hide and seek, and you can take them all out in a matter of seconds. This doesn't let the oft-lauded AI to shine at all, simply because there is no time for the enemies to get tactical.

What irks me the most is that the game was advertised as having amazing before/after effects for shootouts: objects get destroyed, surfaces become damaged, blood splatter and ragdoll bodies everywhere, crazy fun. The player could really become an artist of carnage. But the final game does not really offer any of that. The objects can be destroyed, but there's too few of them, and surface damage isn't all that impressive when there's only one type of surface for the most part (concrete).

Despite all this, the original FEAR games are solid shooters, one of my favorites in the genre. Its strong points are lighting, physics and ballistics.

>poor level design
>too easy
>very short
>surface damage isn't all that impressive
>solid shooter

see me after class.

Your picture just proves my points.
>7-8 concrete holes that looks almost identical
>other surfaces just get a few shitty decals
>3 objects in total that are affected by physics, and they're not even broken
>that clock
>debris is not even textured, just black, disappears after a few seconds
>two enemies shooting at you, neither of them using cover, one is already downed because of that - amazing AI

Look, I love these games, I really do, but there's no need to pretend they're better then they actually are.