Looking for advice on which I should get...

Looking for advice on which I should get. I want a big new 3DS RPG I can lose myself in and these are both out around the same time. I loved Nocturne and Strange Journey, but the first IV didn't click with me for some reason, I hear Apocalypse is the much better game though. Dunno why but I remember not getting very far. I love all the Dragon Quest games i've played except for IX, which I felt was too disjointed without much to connect with in terms of a characters or setting. I love job systems, and I love demon recruiting, and I hear both are very fucking long. Which should I go with?

Anyone?

DQ if your a nostalgia faggot, SMT if your weebshit.

I would recommend the one you haven't already played.

So both?

So both?

I'd say dq7, been enjoying it so far although Im only a few hours into it.

Ah. I figured you had already played DQ VII and were looking at it purely as an updated re-release.

I'm 3 hours into both, but I'm enjoying SMT4A much more. I'm biased though, since I'm an SMTfag.

Nah, i've played III, IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX as well as some spin offs.

SMT i've played a shit ton of spin offs, Nocturne, IV, and Strange Journey for mainline ish games.

If you want boring combat that was outdated in 80s Wizardry games, DQ.

If you want the same boring combat with shallow gimmicks added to it, SMT.

DQ games usually have better music, but I hear the 3DS shitcanned the orchestral stuff for midi trash.

Don't get any of this games user.

3DS and Nintendo are dead, go play waifu games on VITA.

Steins;Gate Zero is two months out at least though.

>midi

absolutelydisgusting.jpg

Why not just get both?

Time constraints mostly.

Tough choice, but I would go with SMT if I had to chose.

Dragon Quest VII, absolutely.

Then SMTIVA.

VII is a game that is extremely long even if you're not a completionist and insanely long if you are.

Is is also a fairly slow paced game, especially at the start.

It is a game best played in long sessions to make any actual progress.

So not the best choice for someone who has limited time.

The music sounds fine to me, if Cred Forums didn't exist I would have played this game without knowing it was even midi.

DQ if you want something bland and can shut your brain off for.

SMT if you want something bland and you have to pay attention for.

Right now, I'm personally in the mood for the former. Sometimes you just wanna shut your brain off and play a mediocre game because you know you don't deserve anything better. Anyone else ever feel that way?

A modded version of the western version with the orchestra soundtrack came out a day after the game was leaked. It's been playable in english with the orchestra ost since before the game was officially released.

>It is a game best played in long sessions to make any actual progress.
Why? Each island has their own little story. At least that's the vibe I'm getting.

Which Dragon Quest games have you played?

I've not played any SMT games, so I can't comment on that one.

III, IV, V, VI, VIII, IX

And some spin offs.

Only ones I didn't like were IX and Fortune Street.

Well I've only played DQ1-4, DQ7, and DQ9, so I'm afraid I can't compare the game to 5-6 or 8.

Out of 1-4 and 9, DQ7 is most similar in tone to DQ4, or possibly a bit like DQ3. You travel to a new area, you wander into the village and hear about the concerns of the people there. You explore around work on finding the cave/dungeon/etc. and figure out what you need to do to resolve the problem, or at least come to a solution. Then you're off to do it again.

The whole premise of the game is that your home island is the only thing in the world, and so you are traveling to past kingdoms and influencing them in such a way that they exist in the current world. As such, you'll be spending a large chunk of the beginning of the game with basically no travel methods: you'll just be going from the past of one location to the past of the next, not really wandering around freely between kingdoms until much later. Given that DQ7 is a very long game, you can be spending a lot of time just visiting the individual kingdoms before being let free to wander as you'd like.

I compare it to DQ4/DQ3 because a lot of the individual problems and situations you encounter are fairly well done. They resemble more the chapters of DQ4, or the isolated places found in DQ3, than much else. Unfortunately, it takes quite awhile before you get to the Dharma Temple (probably Alltrades Abbey now) so you won't even be class changing until close to 1/3rd of the way through the game.

As long as you don't mind the slow burn and like they typical Dragon Quest formula, you'll probably enjoy it. If that just sounds like too much of a time investment (the PS1 version was supposed to be 70+ hours just for the story, 100+ for everything) then hold off and pick up DQ7 later.

Do you want to punch God in the fucking face? SMT4A

Do you want to go on Generic Fantasy Adventure #24687? DQ

>Do you want to punch God in the fucking face? SMT4A
>Do you want to go on Generic Fantasy Adventure #24687? DQ
Uh, user...