So I went to a wine tasting today, and I learned a lot of techniques wine connisuers use to judge wine. 3 sips...

So I went to a wine tasting today, and I learned a lot of techniques wine connisuers use to judge wine. 3 sips, swirl for aroma, all that mess. Then it occurred to me, many enthusiasts come off as snobby because of the seemingly unessicary effort to judge a product.
Then I got to thinking what differences hobbiests go through to ascertain value and when enough is enough. If you don't like a movie you can split halfway through. If you don't like a dish, you can just take a bite and decide you don't like it. But videogames? That might be the hardest. Many games people will swear up and down you have to play through several hours before you have a proper grasp of the game. In addition, to actually try out the game you'd require either a computer capable of running it or a gaming console. Either way, that's some significant dosh for something if you're not into video games. Anyone can pick up a book and read. Anyone can go see a movie or watch it at home.
That being said, are video game enthusiasts the most determined and put forth the most effort towards thier hobby?

Mhmm, I must say I do agree with your statement, in fact I'd even go as far to say as I do not think it could disputed, but really, don't you think it has more to do with how insanely expensive gaming is as a hobby than wine tasting or dining? Considering you have to spend over a hundred dollars easy to even be able to play the game you bought it's easy to say that the sheer stubborness of gaming hobbiests is their biggest aspect. You have people convincing themselves bad games are good, you don't see people loving bad food or bad wine.

I'd say that video games are about as comparable to movies/books in that regard: You can't really judge them until you've gotten through the wole time and had a little bit for the "honeymoon" period to wear off.

Very good point mechazawa. You really put OP's post into perspective.

personally I think you all suck cocks

>are video game enthusiasts the most determined and put forth the most effort towards thier hobby?
probably, since playing games take a lot of your time and attention, which the most dedicated of players are predisposed to

Hey, uh, Mechazawa, there's something i wanna ask you....

Something's been bothering me for a while now....

No. Video games are a relatively cheap hobby and easy to get into.

english dub or jap

>you don't see people loving bad food or bad wine.

I dunno, once you learn how to cook for yourself and see what the average person eats...

Depends on the game in question. Games with very deep mechanics will require far more out of the player than any book or movie would when it comes to dedication. Look at a lot of multiplayer genres likr fighters and rts or single player ones like shoot em ups and roguelikes. These are games which you won't understand from just a few hours of playtime, as the laughable attempts to review them show time and time again.

What is it?

>Very good point mechazawa
>addressing the image and not the poster

You LITERALLY need to leave.

I agree completely. I could argue that renting or borrowing games is a cheaper option for at least trying them out, but you're still required to purchase a console/pc just to get your foot in the door. Really, it makes you think how people became interested in getting thier first console. I'm betting they played the demos at stores or played the games over at a friend's house. Either way, it's pricey.

I mean, you probably know what I'm gonna ask already. You live with it every day after all. Everyone is thinking about it, and I just feel kinda bad... not coming out and asking ya....

>anyone can watch a movie at home
After buying a TV, a device to play the movie on, and buying a copy of the movie itself.
>anyone can pick up a book and read
After literally spending years learning language and how to read it.

The only thing you've said is that video games are an expensive hobby, like everyone didn't already know that.

Hey! You can't talk to Mechazawa like that, who do you think you are asshole? I should kick your ass.

>That being said, are video game enthusiasts the most determined and put forth the most effort towards thier hobby?
Well from a technical standpoint, yes.
Video games take both the most effort and the most time to complete.
However I think the analysis of a video game would take significantly less effort than that of a book or movie in most cases. The subtleties of video games are for the most part found in the mechanics, and are much more apparent to the player. Sometimes it's even required that you understand them to advance.
Every so often though, a video game has a great story to tell. But even then it's not often as complex or engaging as most literature on it's own merits

tl;dr
video games are harder to partake in, but easier to analyze. Other media is easier to partake in, but harder to analyze

I feel the issue of "people loving bad games" wouldn't be a problem at all if we hadn't been raised on a culture that puts objectivity as one of its highest points.

The ultimate point of a game is for you to enjoy the multisensorial experience they offer. If you manage to do it by adding a social/cognitive aspect (ie. "ironically" liking the game), then it's all the better for you.

In my opinion, the matter that should be discussed more fervently is the ways in which a game can manipulate its player. MMOs, for instance, rely on a myriad of ways to keep people hooked and spending their time and money, yet they are seldom noted by anyone. Up to which point should that be called unethical manipulation? Which of those mechanisms be considered fake inflation of play time if used on a single player game? It's a discussion with a little more depth than caring if good people like bad games.

The same tv is required for a console game. Plus dvd players are like 25$ max

I agree with this. Anyone can sit down and read every word in a book but then if you ask them what they got out of it they'll just shutter and look silly.

Same with movies or anime or anything like that. Whenever I meet someone who likes even something really popular like eva or lain I'll just ask them real friendly "so what was it about?" Or course then they might get angry.

>friends used to make fun of me for getting so worked up about bad cinematography in movies
>same friends would sperg out about minor flaws in games
I don't even like movies.

Dude they're just movies lol. Ya catch that new suicide squad?

I'd say an hour maybe two depending on the game

People say either is fine, but for me it just feels right in subs when it comes to high school settings with a focus on school gangs.

one of very few animes where I can say the dub is good