ITT: Quicksaving simulators

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bQEf_FIb55U
youtu.be/ZwGkhZ0jwv0?t=2m58s
youtu.be/rRpfCMDr8fg?t=148
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Deus Ex on realistic
STALKER

What are you talking about, FarCry had no quicksaves and used checkpoints.

It is also one of the best FPS ever and people give it way more shit for the Trigen than it deserves. The monkeys gives it a tight atmosphere by keeping you on your toes. It just had a few moments that were total bullshit, like the Fatboy in the water, or the last area in the game in that volcano level.

The 64-bit patch adds "quicksaves" to the pause menu, it's impossible for me to go back to the checkpoint system now. Also you could save manually using the dev console but I don't think anyone ever did that.

I shut the game off and uninstalled when the monkey fucks showed up.

Shit was Resident Evil 4 and the purple midget all over again.

pretty much every western open world game out there

Basically any stealth game.

Yep. While going for my "never detected" run on Dishonored I was quicksaving like a motherfucker.

Literally any Serious Sam game

Postal 2 after running out of food

> Are you saving AGAIN?

Call of Pripyat with Misery installed

The real hard mode is only saving at major settlements. It really changes how you handle the game.

Why the FUCK WOULD YOU EVER PLAY MISERY

Because it's good. Everything it does is good. Everything you dislike about it makes you a casual.

I'm not even kidding. Needing containers to scavenge artifacts and all the other small elements are fucking great. Misery is the definitive CoP experience in my mind. It's some sort of retarded meme around here to shit on misery, but I fucking can't understand it. It's designed to push things into punishing "sim" territory. It accomplishes that quite effectively.

Hardcore

/sg/ would fucking flame this post

/sg/ are retarded when it comes to Misery.

>My grandmother could play this game if she saved half as much as you do

>Everything it does is good.
Weapons is shit.

Remember to save before every fucking death trap

maybe in user made wads
doom 1 and 2 are both pretty easy once you understand enemy attacks

quicksave has to be one of the worst mechanics of all time. it completely removes any sort of challenge or tension

Turn based tactics games. Really you can just say any video game that has a save feature.

>wanting to repeat the same sequence over and over again or start a level over because of a cheap death
Also it doesn't remove challenge at all, just look at most of the games in this thread, they're still brutally difficult even with saves.

Not even unless you're in OWB because it crashes every other time you enter a cell. FO1/2/BoS/Tactics are really bad about being quicksave simulators. Between every attack, every conversation, etc. you have to quick save because chances are you're going to accidentally piss someone off or that random dog is going to double crit you or your companion and kill your ass.

Reminder you literally can not finish Misery in its current state because the devs of it broke a quest that forces a CTD.
Reminder that it has been this way for years.
Misery is fucking garbage and you're garbage for liking it, kill yourself.

>Reminder you literally can not finish Misery in its current state because the devs of it broke a quest that forces a CTD.
>Reminder that it has been this way for years.
I've beaten it several times since it released and a couple times in beta. Enough lies user.

I can appreciate this sentiment, but some games are just obnoxious without it.

>Turn based tactics games
>saves

Quicksaving is fine in some games.

god tier:
- games exclusively designed around permadeath

great tier:
- can save any time but only in designated locations (hubs, safe zones, when tension is extremely low, etc)

ok tier:
- checkpoints
- can save any time, but saving/loading is expensive in terms of in-game resources
- games where you can't actually die

bad tier:
- quicksaves
- permadeath in games not built around it

garbage tier:
- you can save/load anywhere at any time, but it takes a while or the interface is bad (tedious quicksave, slowsave. usually a console thing)

>I can appreciate this sentiment, but some games are just obnoxious without it.
i know. the main issue isn't really quicksave, it's that these games are poorly designed.

>had only one save because im retarded

>in a combat, i blow my companion with a shotgun, near middle game

>save by error because i missclicked save instead of load

i never mourned like that day

I feel like thief was the best at avoiding this. Smart play kept you safe.

Ascended existence tier
- You die and immediately re spawn on the spot, no penalties

games plagued with cheap deaths or bad pacing are poorly designed

>Also it doesn't remove challenge at all
it absolutely does. it eliminates all risk. the biggest risk in stalker is hitting f5 at the wrong time (it's a glaring flaw but i love stalker otherwise)

>the biggest risk in stalker is hitting f5 at the wrong time
MOOOODSSSSS

I understand what you're saying, and you're right, but you can just not use the quicksaves feature if you dont like it.

I usually hate the "If you dont like it dont do it" argument but I think its pretty valid here.

Every Bethesda game

>game sells itself on being an old school PC game
>checkpoints

Oh yeah, that too. You try to burst the guy 2 feet in front of you and you manage to kill your companion which is 90 degrees to your right AND your gun blows up.

>Do 5 battles
>Couple hours of progress
>Haven't played a game that requires manual saving in awhile
>Random forced encounter I couldn't see coming
>Enemies are double my level
>instant wipe
>Reset all the way back

Man am I glad they put in auto-saves before major combat segments later on.

Yeah you gotta be pretty careful in that game. I often quicksave just while walking around in case I hit a bullshit trap or something

you literally cannot refute this.

"If you dont like it dont do it" isn't valid at all - abstaining from quicksaves doesn't fix the underlying game design flaws that would leave devs to add it in the first place

good games are explicitly designed around tension and flow - which quicksaves utterly annihilate - they're added when devs say "fuck it, we have to ship this now" or never considered these things to begin with

>"If you dont like it dont do it" isn't valid at all - abstaining from quicksaves doesn't fix the underlying game design flaws that would leave devs to add it in the first place
>good games are explicitly designed around tension and flow - which quicksaves utterly annihilate - they're added when devs say "fuck it, we have to ship this now" or never considered these things to begin with

I definitely see what you're saying, but still I disagree. If the game is balanced around having to quicksave I understand, but I still think you could just control yourself and not use it.

Sometimes when I play tactical RPGs I avoid doing things I know will make the game too easy. Like abusing charm in Divinity OS, or using that on e guy with the haste boots in FFT, and other examples I cant think of right now. You have to make your own fun out of some games.

Except quicksaves give the control to the player. Let's face it there is no perfect game, relying on checkpoints is going to burn you at some point. They prevent repetition and let you jump back into the action instead of tediously getting back to were you were before.

If it were up to me every game would have quicksaves and a dev console.

Some mods doesn't have saves CoC or have saves in special places NLC

>Except quicksaves give the control to the player.
so do cheat codes. it's ok to have them for fucking around but not much else

Cheat codes are fine too. They add some variation to the game and let you fuck around if you choose to use them. If you're interested in challenging yourself then you dont fucking use them.

I want to see more games with Duke 3d-style rewinding. Forza 6 had it too for crashes which I thought was an interesting feature, racing isn't typically a genre I think of savescumming.

Fuck that part Still fun, though

it's ok to adopt some sort of conduct as a challenge run, or enjoy games with poor design and try to assemble your own fun out of the mess, but that doesn't excuse said poor design.

if i am going to ironman a game, i'll do it with a game designed to be ironmanned, not one designed to be beaten by trial + error - that will just be frustrating instead of enjoyable

>i'll do it with a game designed to be ironmanned
Like what?

Every time I reply stalker I usually rebind quicksave and quickload to mouse 1 and 2.

Some of them have a battle save function, that lets you boot a save from the middle of a fight.

the difference is that cheat codes, aside from games trying to be meta, are only for fucking around, they're not a core mechanic

if games like simcity required constant cash injections via cheat codes because the economy was totally fucked otherwise, "you can just use cheat codes!" is not a valid answer to why the game is garbage

>not one designed to be beaten by trial + error
So Dark Souls? I would consider the Souls series the prime example of a series that's ruined by its save system. I'm ok with dying, dying and going back to a bonfire and having to fight every enemy again is just tedious and boring. Dark Souls would be 100% better with quicksaves.

see

I dont know. A good example would be Xcom games. You can play without quicksaving and the game is really challenging and enjoyable, but youll have to endure some bullshit like missing point blank shots and just getting incredibly unlucky.

Or you could just play using quicksaves to enjoy the game without as much of a challenge and I think either way is fine. I dont think having a quicksave feature is a flaw in this case.

Games like Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm

i guess i should clarify - by "trial + error" i don't mean something like dark souls' main game loop, i mean things like getting randomly instakilled 10 hours into the game or other balance issues the developers ignore because they assume players will just reload and lose 5 minutes of time

dark souls' bonfire system is good btw

Full Auto was the first game that did the rewind system actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=bQEf_FIb55U

>what is xcom autosave feature that creates a new save per turn because if you fucked up you probably did it 4 turns ago

The 64-bit patch is fan made.

No. There's maybe 2 or 3 sections in the entire original 3 episodes where you might be killed and that's just bad RNG. Doom on UV is easy if you're not a complete scrub.

Doom 2 on the other hand...

Duke 3D style rewinding is what exactly?

Yeah, i know. I just don't see a point in savescumming.

I can design games tier:
Include normal, hard and ironman for tryhards.

games where you are expected to use/abuse quicksaves are different than strategy games with what is essentially wizard or baby mode

i haven't played xcom so i can't say for sure which camp it falls into

I can actually design games tier:
pick either good or great tier, optionally add easy mode for casuals or ironman if it works (if you choose good tier it probably won't)

.he doesnt know

youtu.be/ZwGkhZ0jwv0?t=2m58s

Yeah there's commentary but i did a quick search so be glad.

On the console versions and the new version by Gearbox, when you die you can rewind the game to any point in the level before your death. The obvious advantage is you can never accidentally fuck yourself over with a bad save, just go back in time to before you messed up.

>no penalties
This didn't work for Bioshock. There has to be some penalty other than 5 minutes of walking.

Challenge is always welcomed, but most of the time permadeath games aren't really about challenge but how fast you can get the hang of cheesing your way everything.

Damnit i forgot to press shift, oh well.

That system is exclusive to the Xbox 360 version, though Gearbox's own new port will contain their own version.

no, it wasn't
it was one of the first games that used 64bit architecture processors

>most of the time permadeath games aren't really about challenge but how fast you can get the hang of cheesing your way everything
play better games

>guy who's never played a shooter in his life making a video about shooters

t.Polygon

So Prey?

How the fuck are you supposed to beat Far Cry on the higher difficulties? i'm playing on fucking easy and still dying all the time. I beat Crysis on hard and could probably beat it on Delta if I set aside the time, but geez, this fucking game.

Oh, you see the thing is I played it on PC in 1996, I don't know about a retarded mechanic for a gimped version of the game released on a toy for retarded children.

>no penalties

Aside from feeling like a scrub for dying in a game so easy it could be finished by Polygon employees.

There is already an Elder Scrolls general on /vg/

You're not. It's a horribly broken game that is an overglorified tech demo. Autists can't admit it's unbalanced and will simply repeat "git gud git gud" until they feel like they're fitting in.

Nolf. Gsme is a drag

Blue Shift

Any games with bullet time are this for me since I impulsively try to clear rooms with no damage

Max Payne 3 was good but fuck the checkpoints and cutscenes

>mfw the game drops you in the jungle full of OHK trigens with NO AMMO

Tell that to Gearbox as their re-release will feature it on PC as well as consoles.

I played on Nightmare without enemy respawns because fuck that.

Dishonored.

>Quick Save before I use teleport.
>Detected when I teleported wrong.
>Quick load.

>quicksaving in Far Cry
way to rob yourself of one of the best FPS experiences of all time

HD editions add checkpoints and basically if you use quicksaves in those you are doing it wrong.

The real reason to save a lot in FNV is because it's pretty crash-happy.

isn't quick saving in FNV what triggers the crash? I thought the best way to do it was to install CASM

>quicksaving in Far Cry
>way to rob yourself of one of the best FPS
experiences of all time

I sure loved being sniped behind my back by rocket launchers 6 miles away

Well, yes, CASM replaces the quicksave function with a better one. Good point.

Rockets aren't hitscan in Far Cry. Smash dat sprint button! They can be pretty quiet, I admit, but for me the sudden WTF AM I BEING BOMBED added to the experience. And then I learned to deal with them.

Far Cry is honestly one of the hardest FPS games I've played, and I've played a lot of them

Call of Duty 2/MW/MW2/even parts of MW3/supposedly WaW on Veteran are harder, at least for me.

Q3/UT with max difficulty bots are way harder, if you can count those as SP.

Doom 1/2 on Nightmare. Serious Sam TFE/TSE on Serious.

This game was a motherfucker

fez

>CoD games on veteran
>Hard

They're only hard because they have respawning enemies until you head straight into the next section of the level to despawn them.

Also

Oh man, I still have it installed

Even though I've played through it many times, I still quicksave and abuse game mechanics like a bitch in baldur's gate 1/2
No regrets

The fuck are you even smoking retard?

I don't even think I'd attempt Far Cry on the hardest difficulty. I think I did it on the 2nd or 3rd hardest and that was enough for me

Also this game

A mod that removes every single fucking convenience a game offers is shit.

Reminds me of when I installed LEGENDARY for SoC

No knife, no geiger counter, no anomaly detector, no starting weapon from Wolf other than grenades.

What the fuck, seriously.

Lopers are fine, Himmler's elite with full-auto FG-42s that do like 20 damage per shot, have good accuracy and take lots of shots to put down were more annoying, especially with how common they were in the second half of the game. Sure, your FG-42 usually kills them fast as well, but make a mistake and you lose half of your HP, or all of it.

Yes, they're hard because they use respawns. They still are hard because you need to be aggressive, or don't in the defensive missions. FC is easier for me because it has concealment that usually works, your character doesn't (usually) die instantly when he gets shot and since enemies numbers are limited you can lurk around the camp, pick the patrols, retreat etc. I imagine FC is hard if you play it like Call of Duty, but CoD is straight up impossible if you play it as FC.

This might come as a surprise to you, but there isn't much difference between those, actually.

I didn't know people could be this butt blasted about a videogame.

The game gets tough, yes. But it isn't unbeatable.

It's fun until you realize their AI is gimped until you GET TO DA CHOPPAH and they basically never chase you more than a couple of meters. Just sprint past them and never give a fuck.

>A mod that removes every single fucking convenience a game offers
In misery?

lol

Black road.

Both 1 + 2

Even for its time it was very tough. it didnt help that the later updates to Far Cry had some bugs that affected stealth is strange ways. In fact i think the last official patch for Far Cry actually damaged the effectiveness of stealth in grass, meaning it was better to just prone in the middle of the road than in grass cause enemies saw right trough it easily.

Don't play it then. You have normal start, with, you know, weapon, knife, mask.

>no geiger counter, no anomaly detecto
SoC doesn't have those.

>no starting weapon from Wolf other than grenades
How does that work? You're supposed to kill bandits with grenades? Or reload until your ally stalkers kill them while playing support? Or do you still have Makarov, I don't remember if it's given to you by Wolf in vanilla or do you always have it.

Grass never counted as concealment in Far Cry since, well, you might have no grass at all depending on your settings. Also, red shirt. There was a bug where buildings and tents would not count as cover, but x64 version doesn't seem to have it (use it if you want to play FC1 nowadays).

Bushes are good cover. Trees, stones etc. There's a lot of those on most maps.

I'm not that user I were just answering your stupid question.

XCOM

Hah, you fucking noob.

In Skyrim I bound quicksave to my mouse side button.

>leveling pickpocketing

I actually like that quick saves are more and more becoming a thing of the past.

I mean, it's right there, one tap away from feeling safe and secure. I literally can not abuse it. Some older games like Hitman got it right, limited saves is a great alternative.

It's like one single positive effect of "consolization".

Why have quick saves when modern console games have check points every few meters!

Honestly not even modern checkpoint systems could come close to my QS abuse. Not even close.

>tfw don't want to savescum but it's literally the only way I can beat some of these games on their hardest difficulties
Is savescumming when the game is actually challenging ok?

Hitman absolution uses a checkpoint system and that's the worst thing I have ever seen in a hitman game.

Every PC RPG.

Every stealth game is either that, or waiting simulator. I wish they'd either make Hitman's limited saves a standard, or adopt a limited rewind mechanic like Prince of Persia or Dirt. That might even alleviate their need to include xray vision and slow obnoxious detection arrows in every single one of them.

play the game the way you like

Most stealth games. Anyone who says they don't savescum in them is a liar.

We include mechanics like x-ray vision and detection arrows because...we don't believe in you.

We don't respect you in any way whatsoever and think of your intelligence as subhuman - Your lack of intelligence is exploited via predatory and borderline illegal business practices.

We hate you.

t. game industry

>tldr: casual mechanics ar in stealth games because of casuals.

>100+ posts
>not a single mention of serious sam

are you not serious?

>play JA2
>reload when merc dies even if it's a shit cheap one used as a mule

Fucking Pokemon: Volt Black or Blaze white's boss/gym battles.

Ace Attorney, especially the first three

Literally the first post, dummy.

>feel good about my fps skills, usually start games in second highest or highest difficulty
>do same with FC
>get my ass ravaged in the first outpost
Well okay

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got destroyed in this game. I thought I was just shit at it but I remember getting so frustrated near the end that I cheated so I could beat the game and be done with it

Just literally not rush into action like you're playing a Call of Duty game on Recruit. It's a slower paced game. Don't walk on roads. If you are getting shot at and you aren't ready to shoot back, sprint the fuck away and approach from a different angle. If you're in the forest and you think you aren't alone but can't see the enemy, listen to footsteps and foliage crunching.

I've beaten it twice.

This user gets it.

The only reasons I may never replay FC 1 is because of the Trigons, FC 2 exists, and the goddamn fucking Trigons.

They're such a tonal shift, and it ruins the experience that made up the first two-thirds of the game.

In some ways, Crysis makes this same mistake with the fucking aliens, but at least they were weird and strange enough to be slightly interesting.

>They're such a tonal shift, and it ruins the experience that made up the first two-thirds of the game.
You do realize they appear in the FIRST THIRD of the game?

Also, they're cool IMO and change the pace noticeably.

>FC 2 exists
Thought it was really boring after like 5 hours or so.

>FC 2 exists
Why all hating this game?

I played system shock 2 like a year ago for the first time and i savescummed my way through that game.Literally saving every time i did something in the game

It had a ton of annoying mechanics.I don't care how realistic it is if im not having fun.I thought it was a cool game but meh i would rather play fc3/4

Was this character even playable in the game?
I wanted to play a generic crew-cut soldier guy #782, but was instead forced to choose from a very diverse cast of characters without an actual generic white guy. Went with Marty Alencar, he seemed the most suited for a mission like that.

Nope. But i remember some irish guy or something.

He was chav-tier, tho.
There was also a suave as fuck Algerian guy. Also a good choice, but I purposely did not pick him because I wanted him as my best buddy.

Why download and install optional mods to complain about their intended purpose? Misery, for example is made to make the game world menacing and unforgiving to further immerse you in the Zone. You knew that, because you had to read the descriptions and shit before you downloaded it, but you installed it anyway just to say you hate what it does?

I actually wasn't. Despite some of the more annoying mechanics, FC 2 is superior to FC 1.

>first 3rd of the game

I guess it was worse than I thought. I really don't know why you prefer enemies who charge you over enemies that use tactics to try and search for you/flush you out... but okay. You like Trigons, and they're not my cup of tea.

>FC 2

It has problems. I won't deny that. But the firefights are some of the hairiest I've ever experienced in an FPS, and since you can only save at safehouses... I found it exhilarating.

Now i need play it again. I liked that you can go full mujahideen, and blowup convoys with mortar mines and shit. Pretty interesting experience for that time.

You can play as Marty, I know this because my brother picked him as he has the same name.

I hated - HATED the HECU parts in Black Mesa. Instant aim and pinpoint accuracy as soon as your finger appears from behind something

what

It's just inventory management

Because Trigens add variety to the game. They're dumb, but they're fast and strong. There are purely "merc" levels even after their introduction (Boat, Swamp, Factory), and in the levels where they appear they rarely are the dominant force, with some exceptions. Plus, I liked them story-wise, they added a trashy 80s action movie vibe.

I wouldn't want a game where I'd have to fight only trigens, but in small amounts I found them fun.

Git good, I completed them using only checkpoints. Use strong weapons, use satchel charges, etc.

>trigens

I guess I was wrong about the spelling, so there's that.

I can also agree with the trashy 80s action movie vibe. That was fun.

I somehow got past the trigens but gave up at helicopter boss

Most open world games have auto saves

nope
your companions can die in hardcore

why do you guys all suck ass

like jesus christ this is why they streamline the shit out of everything

Helicopter boss is a pretty shitty part of the game, true.

Nah

This game. Also, i don't remember it being so hard to aim.

I played farcry one on medium and got about 15 levels in or so but I got kind of bored of it because it felt like the same thing over and over again, corridors with trigens and such spammed at you, what am I missing Cred Forums? Are there any mods that improved stealth for it?

Yeah, it really wasn't well adjusted for mouse aiming. Some weird acceleration. I prefer playing 3rd person stealth games with a controller.

Came here to post this. The AI is a fucking bitch towards the end when they have no recoil, hit you with next to pin point accuracy and a shotgun pellet from 15 meters away still takes half your health.
This is apparently because everyone always just quick loads right away when they die, which causes the difficulty to keep escalating as the game doesn't "register" you dying.

>quicksaves

you had to edit .ini to enable it in gothic

Why even pretend that your game has a fail state?

Any western RPG

Elder God Tier:

- Game deletes itself on player death and you have to buy it again

we used to have those, they were called arcades.

If you need to quicksave on this game you're the reason modern games are so hand holdy and suck so much. Have a little patience. Put forth a little effort.

Proper quicksave simulator.

youtu.be/rRpfCMDr8fg?t=148

I savescum like a little bitch in thief

Because you don't know which loading screen is gonna crash the game.