What are some games with a vaporwave aesthetic?

What are some games with a vaporwave aesthetic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HOfll06X16c
youtube.com/watch?v=KoCFToFstSY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ob13tItWIak
youtube.com/watch?v=poQKwEowTOo
youtube.com/watch?v=pEX13W-IuLA
bubsy3d.com
youtube.com/watch?v=rTfa-9aCTYg
youtube.com/watch?v=v6k4c8ECt3s
youtube.com/watch?v=9Xu34KWSbDs
youtube.com/watch?v=qs7kjvhwHlw
youtu.be/iAcAd1fUiy8
strangethink.itch.io/these-monsters
forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49317.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=HOfll06X16c

Here's one.

youtube.com/watch?v=KoCFToFstSY

A little bit i don't know:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ob13tItWIak

youtube.com/watch?v=poQKwEowTOo

Fluid Physics demos.
youtube.com/watch?v=pEX13W-IuLA

Just play any fucking windows 95 game

bubsy3d.com

>you'll be in a coma. You'll dream of art galleries.

Broken Reality if you're looking for hyper aesthetics

This is the least aesthetically pleasing shit. Sasuga memes I guess.

Why do they always show these amazing demos and it never happens in any game?

consoles

Ecco the Dolphin on Genesis and the sequel on Dreamcast/PS2

Namco Musuem vol series

Vaporwave is and always has been cancerous.
There are only two good albums in the genre and both were made before Floral Shoppe.

Fuck off teenage redditors

>I don't like that it gained popularity, therefore it's cancer
nigger do you even hologram plaza

so what are some things essential to vaporwave besides

>checkerboards
>primitive polyhedrons
>generic prefabs (pillars, teapots)
>generic skyboxes
>solid colors and simple gradients
>wireframes
>70's, 80's and 90's muzak

So there's people that unironically like this?

>Not liking Saint Pepsi

pleb

I do, but I won't argue that there isn't a lot of shit to sift through.

I don't like that the early "vaporwave artists" moved onto bigger and better ideas while Vektroid onward produce vapid, meaningless music while teenagers think they are part of some deep scene

My theory is that they did it ironically so long it became unironic. Like when you say something ironically for so long you start saying it constantly.

It did better for itself than dubstep, that's for sure

I liked it unironically from the start though.
Basically if you hate vaporwave you're one of the few things:
>Underage b&
>Top 40 pleb
>Pretentious hipster who only like "serious" music
>Edgy metalhead/punk
>Non-white/asian

You know dubstep has been around since 2000 right?

Windows 95

fair enough, as long as we can agree 2814 is fuckin magic

I hated it unironically from the start though.
Basically if you like vaporwave you're one of the few things:
>Underage b&
>Top 40 pleb
>Pretentious hipster who only like "serious" music
>Edgy metalhead/punk
>Non-white/asian

No, if you like vaporwave you're a teenager or top40 pleb.

2814 is mediocre ambient with little or no real musical connection to vaporwave

I believe it, I just recall from my high school days of all the shit "dubstep" remixes on YouTube which were all uninspired and cancerous. I guess I shouldn't have expected much from YT, but it really was dumb hearing the same setup > drop > blaring wubs with each song.

lisa frank 420 is the perfect soundtrack for being in depressing places like an extremely dated grocery store at 1 am

I would like you both to ask at least 10 people below the edge of 18 to ask them if they even know what "vaporwave" is.
I would like you both to ask at least 10 people who like top 40 pop if they even know what "vaporwave" is.

birth of a new day is magic. rain temple was just okay

>implying this isn't art

youtube.com/watch?v=rTfa-9aCTYg

it's formed by two of these original vaporwave artists who moved on to bigger and better things you were talking about, so it has quite a significant musical connection

>implying I know 20 people

I don't know anything about music but is 2814 really vapourwave? It doesn't really sound like it to me, it doesn't seem to sample any old 80's/90's muzak or pop songs or really be based on that old commercial culture, or any other vapourwave "aesthetics", nor be in any way ironic.
It just sounds like vaguely futuristic ambient music.

you are really really dumb

Plenty of teenagers know wht vaporwave is kid. Have you gone to /r/vaporwave?
"bigger and better" means the classical collaborations of Oneohtrix, not a mediocre ambient album billed as "vaporwave" on a viralled label

...Super Mario 64?

>bubsy3d.com
holy shit, this website is so 90s

So can someone who considers themselves a big fan of vapourwave explain to me how it's any different than other trance or electronic music that's been around since the 90s?

It just seems like you took an existing musical formula, slapped some horrific pastel colours on it and then called it a new thing.

it's an evolution of the style of vaporwave produced by its component musicians, t e l e p a t h and hong kong express

>it doesn't count because I said so
okay champ

youtube.com/watch?v=v6k4c8ECt3s

zelda cdi

Not really though, a few late teens might know what it is but there are much more who don't.

Vaporwave is good, try to have some fun once in a while. Not everything has to be post-progressive indie garage underground noise math rock.

No, it doesnt count because it isn't actually anything big or better. Are you retarded? Vaporwave has produced nothing as meaningful as Music for Steamed Rocks.

sorry lad you don't get to be the arbiter of musical merit around here

go to Cred Forums if you want to play pretend

I know significantly more about music than you. I value music based on whether the content is quality. This includes some pop, a lot of avantgarde, classical, jazz, etc.
Vaporwave is not quality on a musical basis.

Worlds and other similar proto-SL games

Have you even listened to MFSR? Or any OPN? Fuck off teenager.

If you valued music based on quality of content, you wouldn't evaluate music based on what genre it shares characteristics with.

>my music is better than yours, you're all wrong, I'm so right
maybe you're the teenager after all

you really should go back to Cred Forums where you belong

I've listened to the music of vaporwave and determied it was musically lacking and reliant on gimmicks. How many times should I tell you?

the 90s were a mistake

No real answer huh?

Ok so I have this sick new genre for you. It's called sluicegrind it's just jazz but neon colours.

I'm planning to follow it up with buttress-core which will just be classical music but with colours strictly made up of red and blue.

Yeah, I listen to it at work sometimes.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Xu34KWSbDs

This is the first stuff I heard. One of you came to Cred Forums and posted it in an SNL thread. Thanks random Cred Forumsirgin.

Who are your favorite artists?

Gee, you sure do know a lot about a genre that you supposedly hate

>I value music based on whether the content is quality
This is exactly what i meant by pretentious hipster who only like "serious" music
Thanks for proving me right tryhard.
Music is not about "quality", it's about beauty and emotion just like any other non-interactive art form.
If you don't feel anything listening to this: youtube.com/watch?v=qs7kjvhwHlw you can shove all your "knowledge" up your ass. Art is not meant to be analyzed it's meant to be enjoyed.

VAPORWARE?!?!?

youtu.be/iAcAd1fUiy8

Routine

how is that relevant

why would I even answer that when we all know you'll invariably shit on whoever I name, you might as well have asked "well what do YOU consider a good video game"

your petty oneupmanship is extremely childish, almost as if you're desperately trying to be seen as more mature than you are for some strange reason

>Music is not about "quality", it's about beauty and emotion
What's your background in music, kid?

motherfuckers got scooped hard by Alien: Isolation

Not him but I didn't really love that and I mostly listen to electronic music.

You haven't stated anything about OPN and dodged questions so it's clear you're just another clueless kid

>I know more about music than you do
>I'm an intellectual XDDdd
>S-stop trying to act mature, f-faggot!
Ok, kid

>Art is not meant to be analyzed it's meant to be enjoyed.
Look, I agree that he's being a pretentious hipster, but that doesn't mean that we're not allowed to analyze any work of art to try and figure out why exactly it's good. There's a thought process behind every creator, and you're really undermining their efforts by saying it's all about "feel" and not about thought.

This

only teenagers give a shit about being validated by their music cred, maybe you should stop projecting so hard

oh nice you know how to greentext, shame it doesn't reflect anything I actually said

Futurefunk is better Tbh

Have you or have you not listened to OPN?

There you go again my dude, this isn't a sport or a science, it's art. Your whole perspective is wrong.
I understand not being a fan of vaporwave, that's okay. But i was referring to those who hate it vehemently and can't appreciate things for what they are. I DESPISE death/black/doom metal but even if i don't like it i can completely see it's beauty and feel what it wants me to feel.
Yes you can "analyze" it but when it comes down to it it's all about putting on your headphones and enjoy some good music. Nothing else matters for that moment. This isn't school time it's fun time.

So do you have a background in music?

fuck yeah they did.

>a genre of music that shares most of its listener base with people who unironically and unapologetically like moe anime

Except you just said that you knew more about music than the other user in a previous post, and now you're trying to tell him to stop acting so high and mighty. Are you so desperate that you're just denying what I'm saying by this point?

>i can completely see it's
You're fucking borderline illiterate, my man. Now is the part where I stop listening to anything you have to say.

>tfw you unironically enjoy vaporwave and future funk

My only real issue with it is how heavily it seems to rely on visuals to carve out an identity for itself.

this is amazing

>Be OP
>Every vaporwave thread I make actually talks about video games a little bit
>This thread just became two faggots arguing over dumb bullshit not even about video games

You're all gay

do you genuinely not see how trying to define the merit of someone's opinion on music by a musician you like might make you a pretentious fuck

never said I knew more about music than anyone lad, must have got your threads crossed somewhere

I have a "background" in listening to it. Or do you mean i need to be a musician to enjoy music? Tell me all about how you need to be a video game developer to enjoy video games please.

Why can't you answer my question?
Why are you trying to define music when you have no practical experience or knowledge in it?

Do I have to do everything for you?
>Inb4 mobile
Fuck right off

strangethink.itch.io/these-monsters

Me too, bro

why can't you admit it has no bearing on anything and you're only asking it so you can claim you're better simply because you like a certain musician

holy fuck that's not even me lad, can't you even recognize I'm trying to make the exact opposite argument to that post

Sick appeal to hypocrisy
Not an arguement.

I'm not trying to define music i'm trying to define art as a whole.
Claiming that music is not good because it lacks some technicality you consider to be of "good quality" even when it's beautiful is wrong and proof of a deviated perspective on art.

web art
old commercials
analog video artefacts
potted plants and palms
pools and fountains
malls

I do, but only mallsoft, don't like meme vapor with sampled pop songs

But what makes the music good? There are a number of factors at play, more even beyond the actual composition of the piece. The performance by the musicians can be assessed, from something as basic as intonation all the way up to how an improvised solo is constructed.

Art's about more than just looking at a canvas and thinking, yeah, that's a nice picture - it's about how the artist manages to convey an idea through a creative medium using what's available to him. Sometimes it's a really simple message, like this picture of a paintbrush, where all sorts of colors of paint are on the brush to show how the brush is used, but often art has more layers than the most surface one. Really, a good piece of art makes you think, makes you want to dig deeper, peel back its layers and really get at the heart of the work.

For a lot of pop music, there isn't much work to be done - they follow familiar and simple chord progressions and are more or less engineered to be stuck in your head. What people call classics in music aren't always this easy, and that's where the composition part comes into play. But there's also the much greater task of the thousands of hours of practice a musician accumulates over their lifetime, and how well they are able to convey their musicianship is by and large the biggest factor in making any piece of music sound good. The technicality of a musician is largely quantifiable, through things like intonation, rhythm, tempo, tone, musical phrasing, you name it - much like how drawings can be analyzed with respect to perspective, anatomy, shading, and geometry - or literature with syntax, grammar, and whatnot. It's okay for you personally to enjoy something at a surface level, just don't pretend that there isn't anything more to it.

Yep, i bet they feel stupid now

>Vaporwave
>Hologram plaza
>Vektroid
>Floral Shoppe
>Saint Pepsi

DUDE WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THREAD

Shit-tier meme vaporwave. Real men listen to good shit like Vektroid, Moe Shop, and Blank Banshee.

>The technicality of a musician is largely quantifiable
This is true i never said otherwise.
>enjoy something at a surface level
I never said anything about ignoring any depth a piece may have.

From the beginning my point was that artistic appreciation is achieved via perception rather than analysis.

A lack of:
1.- Singers who trained their voices for years
2.- A guitarist/pianist/violinist who has spent endless hours practicing
3.- A poet/writer who writes the most eloquent and thought-provoking lyrics
Doesn't take away the artistic merit of a piece if it succeeds in being beautiful and emotional.

why are people asshurt about vaporwave like dude its just music

literally any windows 95/98 era Visual novel in Japanese.

lol vaporwave please kill yourself you utter faggots

not just music, it's also an art style and a meme

What the fuck is Steven doing these days.

system shock

How is this fad not dead yet?

>memewave
Had some friends listen to this alot a year or two ago then had it dropped. Waiting for the next memegenre to pick up and have people listen to that.

Hating vaporwave is a meme.

This game is going to be vaporwave as fuck and I think that more people should know about it.

forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49317.0

I think the music is fucking garbage but the general visual aesthetic has potential after the meme dies out.

I just dislike the lack of traditional insturmentation.

>being a literal grandpa

>disregardming basic theory

Kay