F.E.A.R

The Fear games are on sale, what ones should I get.

Also general Fear thread

I need to download this for my new rig
would be nice to go ultramax settings

I want to point to the first one, but the PC iteration doesn't some to like it when I use slo-mo (the particle effects go ape shit and make the room look like it's fogged up)

Fear 1 and its expansions are great games. They were pretty big hits when they first came out.

Fear 2 loses a lot of what made Fear 1 great (mostly gun feel) and Fear 3 is just pure shit.

Don't buy 3 at all costs.
1 is great, 2 is ok.

>close fear 1
>windows blackscreens

Why? What do?

Timegate timeline >Monolith timeline

None of them. Overhyped pseudo-spooky edgelord corridor shooters.

Third one actually has some fun multiplayer modes actually.
Good luck finding anyone playing them though.

The first is the only genuinely good one.

#2 is worth playing if you really want more of the story. It's OK, but loses the perfect balance of the original in favor of bullet sponge soldiers, annoying gimmicky 'puzzle' supernatural enemies, all the cool scifi guns are either just gone or they give you literally no ammo for them. in short it's just painfully inferior to the first. It does have somewhat neat mech combat segments (pretty much the only thing added over the original), but they're actually kind of annoying in practice (the devs missed the point of 'mech combat sequence' and decided to make them actually challenging, which in practice means you're often better off getting out of the thing and clearing the area on foot). there's basically one awesome thing in the game, which is at the end where alma rapes you and becomes pregnant with your ghost-child.

#3 doesn't exist. Do not even consider attempting to play it. Please.It's a console-first (and practically could have been mobile-first, with how severely they cut it down), coop-oriented cover shooter.

Did you ever play fear 3 online?

The FEAR games have always been on sale on Bundlestars. They're actually more expensive on Steam.

I had fun with Time Shift from the Sierra bundle, so I'm tempted to get this for more slo-mo shooting fun.

1 plus all its dlc is my pick

The only enemies in FEAR that I remember actually scaring me were those creepy shady ghosts in FEAR 2

I don't get why Alma can suddenly kill you at the end of FEAR 1. She never attacks you since you're her son, so I stood still when did the slow walk over to you. Ruined my no death run.

>F2's shotguns
>F2's melee

The assault rifle and nailgun were the only good guns

Does anyone know how to turn off hitmarkers in FEAR 2? The game is ok, but the shitty hitmarkers just ruin it for me.

I don't understand how the UI is so perfect in the first game but like, deus ex IW level bad in the second.

3 is fun with a friend but as a solo experience, nah nigga.

You can disable all the slow mo effects if you want

Well It's never explained why she suddenly wants you dead or is willing to kill you. Maybe it's because you killed your brother. Also remember that this is the first time in years that she has been released and actually has a tangible body to walk around in now when Harlan literally unleashed hell. She probably wanted to embrace you and didn't realize you can't withstand her psychic presence.

same user would also like to add how FUCKING sTUPID it is that they removed lean.

why do almost all games not feature lean, it's so simple and adds so much depth to the gameplay.

I suppose that's it. I thought it would be something like you are able to withstand her physic power being her clone son. I mean, so many times the game forces you to walk towards Alma I figured it was just the opposite. Plus, can't she decide who she wants to kill? As Beckett, all she does is grab your arm among other things.

For games with multiplayer, because of how the first person camera and how the shooting mechanics work (bullets originate from centre-screen, not weapon muzzle) implementing lean can make it possible to corner-shoot opponents while while only your head is exposed, especially when leaning left.

This is a non-issue in the first FEAR since there are no special first person viewmodels, your camera is just bolted to the head of your third person character model.

Well, with Beckett, you didn't quite find out what she wanted to do to you until it was far too late and you couldn't do jack shit about it.

I mean, she obviously can target you but given that she doesn't seem to be angry and even whispers things like "I know who you are" and "my baby..." in part 1 as you're escaping her, I don't think killing you was in her gameplan. Also keep in mind that as she's undergoing labor in 3 her contractions are literally ripping apart reality at the seams and she can't control what happens to you in that. Keep in mind, you are Pointman once again in 3 incase you never played.

>Lights start flicker and game desaturates

Yeah, never played 3. Everyone says to stay away. Is it worth it for the story?

I know everyone's already posted their hot takes, but:

FEAR 1 is a lot of fun, and while its expansions aren't "canon" they are still good. FEAR 2 is fine, but not quite as good as 1. It won't feel as new as 1, but it does build on the setting, which is something I actually really like about the games. It does have a guy named Snake Fist in it though so that's cool.

FEAR 3 is pretty rough. It might be better as a co-op game, but as a single player experience it's really nothing special. If you don't like these games for the story, there's nothing for you here. If you do like these games for the story, there's still almost nothing for here. I'd love a follow-up or sequel, though.

Honestly? If you want the story you can check out cutscenes or watch a let's play or something. Anything but play solo.

I only got to really enjoy the game because it's fucking MEANT to be played as a co-op. Like an user said earlier in the thread, it's meant to be that way. Paxton returns and is who you play as for second player. He can do things like possess people and shield Pointman from damage, which is something you actually kinda need in certain parts of the game or else it becomes an uphill difficulty climb.

It was a disappointment all around. I remember reading about it while it was under development and the team talking about how they wanted to be able to give a "brand new experience", blah blah blah, talking about how Paxton can open up different paths for you and shit and ultimately it didn't lead to much. They talked about wanting to make it clear that you were still enemies so to speak, so they set up this bullshit system of parameters that follows you all throughout the game and whomever has the best score at the end gets to see that character's ending And it's way too easy to get it with Paxton. I had the luck of playing with a roomate who wanted to do it with me on console. I wouldn't suggest going it alone as I'm not sure if you can invite a friend online if you're playing pc any longer.

The level designer for FEAR (worst part) was the main game designer for FEAR 2, had a strong preference for controller over Mouse+ KB and loved Call of Duty.
Funn Fact: the double nigger was the gameplay designer for the fuckhole abortion that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, hence why ACM and F2PO play so similarly.
Blame that cunt for Monolith disappearing up its own ass.
>The More You Know...

None, they're old and repetitive shit.

Fear 1+Extraction Point+ Perseus Mandate

Ignore the rest

FEAR 1

do not buy anything else, dont listen to what anyone tells you.

How do I get passed this? both places are locked and I can't get up to that passageway. please help!

>800x600

**incoming**
UNKNOWN ORIGIN

help me user I'm stuck

isn't that the very beginning of the game? how are you stuck

The places are locked and I have no idea how to get up there.

FEAR 2 is a pretty good FPS IMO. Most people ITT will tell you it sucks, though.

Pistol is actually kind of good, sniper rifle is great and the experimental weapon is okay. Oh, and SMG is good. Laser gun looks cool, but is weird to use.

I would play Fear but I'm not good at FPS, and I'm conflicted on what grip to use on the mouse. I hear claw is suppose to be the best, but I'm not sure.

is this a troll? you don't need to be a beast at fps to play fear.

one is great best in the series
two is generic fps with the DLC somewhat worth playing
third is a console port that is unplyable on PC,characters walk like they are on spikes,framerate is abysmal while game looks like shit,vsync problems, ect.I could not even get past the prison stage which is the first one.

I'm quite serious. I've never played Fear before so this will be my first time playing and I have no idea what to do. That is why I'm asking about which grip is best for FPS.

It's a single player FPS. Just do whatever feels comfortable. Don't think about it.

play with whatever makes you comfortable.

your grip should feel natural to you, there is no superior grip, it's all preference.

F3AR isn't anywhere as slow as fuck or as 'tension building' as 1 or even 2; that's why everyone hates on it.

It's fun, tons of action and if you play co-op it becomes fun as fuck.

It even has a story....barely but still.

Paxtons powers are cash as fuck dialogue.

Shoot the lock on the door, there will be a ladder.

Just get FEAR 1 OP. Fear 2 is painfully generic, I went through them both last week. The first has a very unique feel to it, but I skipped the expansions because they're non-canon. Regret that decision, 2 doesn't even feel like it's in the same universe for most of the game.

Some people told me when I asked to just play 1, the expansions and let the rest die. I'd say go with that advice all the way.

First two are absolutely great and some of my favorite FPS's of all time. Expansions for number 1 are also good although I am not sure if their stories are canon.

Finally there is FEAR 3, despite being a big enough fan of the first two to even try out the short lived god awful failed abortion that was FEAR online, I have never actually played this one. From what I can tell it removed all horror aspects stopped caring about plots, but had a kind of fun co-op campaign where you can play as Paxton Fettel.

get the bundle on bundlestars

you can fix the problem by turning on vsync (but then you'll have to deal with that annoying as shit input lag)

FEAR1 > FEAR 2 Reborn > FEAR 2 > Extraction Point > F3AR > Perseus Mandate > shit > ................. > FE4R