How are you enjoying it so far?
You did buy it, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dxaRxjcvIR4
youtube.com/watch?v=2oSfd1fxkXk
youtu.be/1R4w3K4-9n8
youtube.com/watch?v=cBFXn_rlnBQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've only played about two hours but its pretty fun so far.

I have a thing for Tsunderes, so Maribel is waifu tier.

13 hours in. When do I encounter metal slimes? I want to get my grind on

When do I get classes?

post more maribel

Maribel? more like Maribitch

I don't remember seeing them until I got to... I don't remember the town name, and it's likely been changed in the English version anyway, but I remember someone attacking a tree for some reason.

more like maribest

BUILT

For love-making

For hand-holding.

Is the remake good? I've only played 1, 3, and 8

I liked it.

Does the remake make it so that some tablets aren't lost forever?

That is my one trigger

they cut a fuckton of content, the music is downgraded, and the localization is fucking awful since everyone has these awful accents for no fucking reason

Wait shit there are permanent missables in this game?
Like what?

>they cut a fuckton of content
This fucking clown again.
No there is no cut content. If fact, there is only more content that the original.

>they cut a fuckton of content

I just don't understand why people are lying in hopes that the sales will be shit. They removed the first dungeon which was apparently a purely puzzle dungeon. I'm not sure, I've only played the 3DS version, but that's I've read on sites Japanese sites (some of which go over every little difference) and from Japanese people, so I'll assume I'm right.

I'm just wondering at what point the game starts being fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=dxaRxjcvIR4

youtube.com/watch?v=2oSfd1fxkXk

The remake is good, but certain aspects and features were changed, either to better set the pace or because it doesn't work so well anymore.

1) All the Shrine of Mystery puzzles were axed. This is a significant early-game change that serves two purposes. First, it gets you to the combat and adventure quicker. Second, it reduces the amount of back-and-forth through the same rooms over and over that the original had in spades. That said, this is the change that bothers me the most.

2) Again in the Shrine, walking around to each pedestal and inserting shards has been relegated to a sort of menu system headed by a fairy companion of sorts. It ultimately makes little difference aside from outright telling you what to do in a few instances.

3) The "My Town" feature of the original has been changed a bit. You can get new villagers through Streetpass, or find them around the world (they appear to be set characters, but there may be random ones available later on). The town is now called Haven, and it's also got a sort of new take on the random dungeons DQ9 had. The Monster Park is also accessible from here now, well before it was available in the PS1 version.

4) Small changes like additional chests on the overworld, or graphical changes (in the volcano area, the characters now wear hats instead of carrying torches).

5) Character names were changed. An early one is your father, who was Borkano in the original but is now Pollock.

I just got to the job change place
I wasn't expecting so many options right away
Holy fuck what do I pick?

>Wait shit there are permanent missables in this game?
in the playstation one 1 version

shards
NPCs for your island
2 towns(although one was due to a programming oversight)

>Enemy blocks a narrow corridor with it's fat ass

Loomin was so easy to fuck up.

Attack its ass.

What's a good strategy for beating the bandits outside present alltrades abby?
They keep wrecking my shit.

So is this game really as formulaic and episodic as it seems?

It's all just been hop on one island, do one dungeon and then jump over to the next in quick succession and never deal with it ever again forever.

Is Sailor any good now? I heard it was shit in the PS1 version

Opened the Monster Village, heading to Island 4.

Only 4 islands in, but it's good. Really want to unlock jobs.

Also wondering how awesome it'd be if III was remade again.

I thought you were a lot more further than that.

The automaton island was a fucking slog, I think that's the sixth island I've saved. Been loving everything else so far, difficulty is actually starting to kick in now too.

Nope, taking my sweet ass time with it.

I bought and played the moon version a couple years ago, because fuck supporting the shitty localizations DQ gets in the west. Thank god the Japanese version is simple and meant for children, so even with my remedial grasp of the language, I could still play it easily.

Not for a while. Personally, I found the remake way too easy. I never felt like I had to grind at at any point, or ever really found myself in over my head. It gets a bit better when the classes open up, but even then it can be a bit of a drag at times, especially since it's such a long game. Definitely not the ideal starting point if you're new to the series.

But it does actually become fun at some point and stays fun for the rest of the game?

Made it to the island with the robots. I think that's the 5th island. This is way more fun than I remember. In the PS1 version I made it to the pyramid place? I think it was a pyramid. I stopped my play through when DQ7 3DS was announced for Japan. It's been a long time coming.

I will say that I'm getting tired of waiting for classes. It felt so long in the PS1 version. I really get tired of waiting for classes to unlock. I was tired in 6 and I'm tired in 7. The class system is one of the things I love in JRPGs and waiting for it, while tiring, makes me love it more when I get it.

It takes a while anons. I forgot how many islands it takes to get to it. I think I'm like 2 or 3 away.

What's everybody's plan for classes?

>Hero
Mariner > Thief > Martial Artist > Warrior > Cleric > Pirate > Dragoon > Paladin > Godhand > Hero

Maribel
Cleric > Mage > Jester > Dancer > Bard > Sage > Teen Idol > Summoner > Hero

Ruff
Shepard > Thief > Martial Artist > Warrior > Cleric > Paladin > Dragoon > Tamer > Godhand > Hero

Mervyn
Warrior > Martial Artist > Cleric > Dragoon > Paladin > Godhand > Hero

Aira
Dancer > Warrior > Martial Artist > Mage > Jester > Bard > Dragoon > Teen Idol > Ranger > Hero

Everybody will eventually be a Hero, but they should each have some unique skills. I think some of the class names might be different in this version.

RASHER AND STRIPESS

FUCKING DIE ALREADY

DESPERATION ATTACKS CUMMING IN MARIBELS FACE FUCKING STOP

>mfw getting to the slaughtomatron at level 10
>mfw sap doesn't work
>mfw his first move is to kill kiefer

How about Monster Classes?

>talk to the cute princess
>she has this ridiculous lisp

why

"Carraway is stiff as a board! All he was doing was laying on top of me to protect me from the rain! How could this have happened!"

Oh we all know how it happened love.

Ah shit I forgot all about those. I'll just wing it with those. Aren't there a shit ton of them?

Snooze is Super Effective!

>level 10
>just hit the 4th Island (Animal town)
>party are level 12

I have a problem.

This is a port of a ps2 game right?
I've never played any of these games before, but my teacher would talk his ass off about how good they were when I was like in the 5th grade.

If so should I play the new 3ds one or stick with the original ps2 version?

>enter town
>edged boomerang and leather whip in the same store
>need 5900 gold

This game was on PS1. The remake is better in every way except maybe difficulty.

>muh outrage culture

Kys entitled little shit

slaughtoton isn't affected!

maribel is at 3hp with no mp from healing up hero. this run is kill

It's a remake of a PS1 game and it's much more worth it to play this than the PS1 version considering how much they improved.

Oh nice, thank you!

>port of a ps2 game
No, it's a remake of the PS1 title.

A lot of the fat was trimmed from this version that made the other one several hours longer, including the beginning portion would could take you 1 to 2 hours to complete and it was nothing but puzzles.

Did they add the mine dungeon on the first island? I don't remember it at all.

>desperation attacks

Really hate those. Would often trip me up.

I thought it was funny.

>Just got the green gem for the kid and his dad
>Hero and Maribel are level 5
>Kiefer is level 6

This happens in every Dragon Quest, but I will never be use to it

With the moving gems and such? It was in the original.

I see! Thanks anons!

Weird, he fell asleep twice for me.

But sap does work, user.

Is this game worth 53 dollars?
That's how much it would cost in my country.

You never need to grind in a DQ game if you play it smart.

tried sap three times, he was not affected every time.

>they changed Foze's name to Jacqueline

WHAT THE FUCK IT WAS ALREADY PERFECT WHAT THE FUCK IS JACQUELINE IT'S TOO FUCKING LONG HOLY SHIT FUCK TREEHOUSE

>Party member dies
>Get EXP
>Said Party member is now always behind a level or two

Probably, considering how long the story is.

Well the game takes around 80-100 hours to complete so it depends on if you like old-school RPGs with job classes.

If you like JRPGs then hell yeah. The thing's like 100 hours long just for the main quest, you'll get your money's worth.

You're fighting the machine robot boss, right? It works for me. Of course, you can only use sap twice until it maxes out on the debuff.

im legitimately upset

i might have to grind 5+ levels to actually even stand a chance of winning this rngfest fight

if they hit any character with a desperation attack it does 50-65 depending on the character

the npc doesnt damage for shit and maribel gets focussed first. seriously, i dont remember dharma being this obnoxious holy shit

im bleeding dry of coins at this point desu

>Treehouse

lmao

I should be use to it because of other Dragon Quests and Etrian Odyssey, but it tickles my autism every time.

Fair enough.
I absolutely fucking loved Dragon Quest VIII, I thought IX was OK
So this one is very long even though they trimmed some of the fat then? That's good to hear.

yes I was fighting the robot boss. I know debuffs only work twice. My problem was that it wasn't sticking even once. His defense remained hella high and there was nothing I could do about it. Tried snooze only to have the same shit happen.

The MC really is a goofball.

There are like what, 18 islands that you only visit once and forget about and each take like an hour to finish with one dungeon and one town.
It's really not that long.

That's odd. It worked for me right away.

bro every character has its own experience curve so they're going to be at different levels regardless of what you do. God help you when things start to get ruff

Reminder that you can get ambushed when inspecting pots, bookshelves, and even wells. Not just chest mimics.

Should i give the wooden doll to patrick or save it for later?

>tfw my party is lvl 12-13 and Ruff is fucking 4
God dammit. Ruff is lucky he's top tier cute. He's like (well he literally is) a puppy personified and having him ride a wolf in this version is amazing.

>an hour for each island

Do you like, not talk to anybody and just rush through everything? Yeesh.

Reminder that you can buy Lucina Shard before the Abbey. You can use it to cast Dazzle to enemies without it being a spell. Might be useful.

You visit each island twice. And almost all of them take over 2 hours. Some of the later ones take 6-10 hours.

>that water island
>the king will never stop talking

The hardest battle in the game so far was an urnexpected.

>counting the past and present visits as separate visits
The present ones might as well not even be there, it's all just talking

wait till you reach dharma

shit is fucking obnoxious

not only have you lost your primary physical attacker, your mage becomes a healslut who can only use medicinal herbs

Oh god dammit I should've known that was an unwinnable fight
At least I didn't waste my Yggdrasil Leaf on it

It adds to the game time. Returning to the automaton island took almost as long in the present as it did in the past.

Something I've wondered for a long time; out of all the things JRPGs have done inspired by this series, how come none of them include the "press one button to exit every menu" thing? That's damn useful, and no one other than this series does it.

Literally in the same spot, ruff just learned how to talk. My party is the same levels too, 12-13ish for everyone but Ruff who is 4. He's still super useful, good damage and always strikes first. I was expecting to have to grind for him but he's honestly already pulling his weight.

Also your picture reminded me, why the fuck do I see the hero with that lizard in so many pics? 11 hours in and I haven't seen a lizard once. Was thinking it was some pet of his.

There's a lot of things that DQ does that other series should have, but overlook. Zoom is the best skill in any RPG. But only Pokemon uses it. Hell, it wasn't until Final Fantasy XII that they even had a warp option. And even then, it was limited to just crystal locations.

Ruff catches up really fast around the same time that Keifer fucks off

I think he's just got a weirdly high EXP curve for the first 8 levels or so

That lizard is on the opening of the PS1 game. Supposedly, it's his pet.

Then the novel and the manga adaptation actually made him carry it around.

Weird, still its not like he's deadweight so whatever. I hucking hate when jrpgs give you a level 1 character and your party is way higher then them. Its not terrible if they make it so they can catch up faster but most just give you a party member stupidly underlevel and say "Hope you enjoy pointless grinding (:".

To be honest I can get the reasons for such party members in JRPG. Mainly because of the fact the start at level 1 so you can gear said character to whatever style you want he/she to be. Although that's only in certain cases otherwise it's just tedious.

A monster just asked to join me after battle and I sent him to the island, but I don't seem to see it anywhere? Did I fuck something up?

>your mage becomes a healslut who can only use medicinal herbs

Not in the 3DS version.

You lose your skills in the 3DS version too Captain Shitposter, I just got finished getting my ass kicked by the leader of the shitty town of all the people who had their skills stolen.

>the enemy hacks away like a demon at maribel!
>43 damage
>the enemy hacks away like a demon at maribel!
>40 damage
>maribel dies!

WHY

At the Pig and Tiger boss fight now. Preparing for the worst.

I played it a year ago, and don't remember losing anything at all. I guess it didn't leave an impression.

YUFFIE!!!!!!!!

the first one's an autolose

the second won is supposed to be winnable but im having a lot of trouble

>Stripes hits Maribel for 70, killing her instantly

Well I'm fucked.

>constant frame drops in battle
Why is this game so unoptimized?

Runs fine for me. Are you playing the digital version? Sometimes I get frame drops with those.

FUCK YES THE TIGER IS DEAD. RUFF IS DEAD TOO BUT I DON'T CARE.

grats u fuck now kill baconman

YES I JUST DID.

FUCK YEAH FIRST TRY.

>Hate interacting with DQ NPC
That's the whole reason to play DQ. It's all about world building and interconnecting towns. That's why DQ4DS is considered so awful. Because you lose all that. Without enjoyable NPC DQ would feel boring to play.

>Fingers immediately commented how it wasn't an easy fight at all even with their power suppressed

This difficulty leap is intentional indeed.

im so triggered holy shit

Is Gracos still a shitty bullshit fight?

>get back to slaughtomaton
>spam snooze three turns in a row
>no affect
>throws caution to the wind twice and kills maribel

gg user who rused me you did well

may i know what part this happens?

He's definitely vulnerable to Sap dude

This game gives you a lot of chances to be a dick at Yes/No questions, it's great.

Dude the soundtrack doesn't even sound that bad, shut up. You make it sound like it's absolute garbage, when in fact, it's hardly any different than the orchestrated version. But you wouldn't ACTUALLY know these things, because you probably haven't even played it, and more than likely, you can't afford the system or game, and you're just shitting on it because your jealous.

As far as the first "chapter". I feel like the sub plot was in any way original, but it still felt fresh. Though for some reason I really felt bad for that crab monster.

>In the tower with Hanlon
>All he does is assess the situation or cast sap on enemies he can kill in one hit

I miss Maeve

never played a DQ game before, is it okay to start with this one? so is there any particular order

>Woodcutter used Medicine Herb!
>but nothing happened

i have ballmolly emberdale and the haven unlocked and theyve appeared near my island but i dont know where to find the next tablet piece any ideas?

I'd start with DQVIII or the iOS port of DQIV

I mean no surprise he lost the first fight when he just assessed the situation all the time.

go to info then hit next tablet fragment

Is there any benefit to searching the bookcases like there was in DQVIII?

So far I haven't found a single thing in them.

eventually you start finding stories and quotes from confuseious

You can find some funny books.

shit i did not know that

>Maeve dies
>kids wants to thank her
fuck ;-;

The feels haven't even started, user.

I found a note written by the protagonist's uncle in a bookcase. Kinda funny.

I got cfw on my N3DS, and while I want to buy Monster Hunter Generations and Dragon Quest VII, I don't wanna update.

I bought DQHeroes though, so I hope we'll get DQ11. real talk though, how on earth could they not release it in the west when it is on PS4?

I am enjoying it but fuck do I wish they would move the class selection up much earlier.

>the entire robot island

;_;

Goddamn it, Square Enix, why do they change the names of the characters in every region? In my game she's called Molly.

And after that, at the NTR island, you'll find a book selling robot maids.

Yeah the lore from some of them is cool.

Playing VIII made me religiously autistically check bookcases for alchemy recipes.

>You did buy it, right?
Please stop making me feel guilty in every thread.

will maribel ever not cast multi-target spells on single enemies

is that what it does? I tried using it twice but it never had any effect

>letting the AI make its own choices

there's a reason it's not enabled by default user

Or you could do like I am and starting again with 5.

I dunno. I tried it on the two stooges and it didn't work at first try so I just abandoned it.

You won't be needing it past first island, so might as well give it.

>Zoom is the best skill in any RPG. But only Pokemon uses it.
Because it's not realistic in other rpgs.

>it's not realistic

BUY IT YOU STUPID FUCK.
DON'T YOU WANT MORE DQ GAMES.

Bought it because I want more DQ games.

Got to the part with the herb town. Just found the graves. ;_;

What happened to the young master and the maid though?

That... Is a good question. ;_;

>Prince Kiefer
>King Donald

Hahaha holy shit, did they give the king a name for this version?

I just got to the robot island and only have two magic seeds. Where do I get more?

I cant live without maribel's spells.

Kabuff when?

>princeth hath a lithp

If you're nice to her then she'll give you a kith.

I've been brutally honest with her so far, concerning Kiefer

is she gonna be okay?

>Kiefer ditching me for the first sniff of puss

wtf

Its Brynhildr in german version

Waiting a few more months for Citra to run it at full speed. I've got a 3DS, but I hate the tiny screen.

>that Colosseum segment

It's like a twisted version of monster recruitment.

what point should I play up to to really get into the game? I know this one's got a slow start and I'm only an hour in so far.

>Hero pls, I would never make moves on another man's woman...
>HAHA just kidding, fucked her right in the pussy

how do you win stuff in the memory game in the casino?

Where is the hidden passage in Regensten? I feel like a retard

I don't remember.

North of the tree, aligned with the grafitti

like, a tiny bit to the north of the tree

took me forever too

What do i do?
Maribel tells me i should go speak to Lavender, but Lavender says nothing interesting and just repeats what she previously said.

Where is the second Haven villager? I've scoured the map for every piece of shit farmer I can find but can't find this nig anywhere.

>got party wiped in the colosseum

Damn, shit is though, yo.

Ah, thanks, think I found it. I was looking for a bit more detail, just not examine on plain ground

I don't remember having to grab these 4 Saint items in the PS1 version. It's been YEARS though, I just remember putting tablets onto the puzzle panels.

just spent like 2 hours grinding in the desert (2nd yellow island) to trivialize the boss fight there

I really should've prioritized Maribel being a Priest over a Mage, being able to cast Buff twice in a turn made all the difference, but atleast the grinding was quick due to Maribel's Boom pretty much finishing every fight in a single turn

Only DQ I played was Monsters Joker 2. Hated how there was no strategy involved, just checking whichever side had bigger stats. I love the shit out of SMT and Pokémon but DQM just did not do it for me.

I did enjoy the aesthetics and monster design though. Would DQ7 be better for me?

Do your characters physically change in this game as time passes or am i thinking of another DQ game?

you're thinking of V, I believe
characters age etc. in that game, with multiple time skips throughout the game

You're probably thinking of 5 where you start as a little kid.

Naw, pretty much an identical battle system.

Sounds like you enjoy "rock paper scissors" in your JRPGs, and DQ is pretty light on it.

Ahhh i knew it was one of the DQ games, thank you fellow anons. I really enjoy games with time skips and noticeable physical differences with the characters. Oh well I'm still enjoying 7 and hope it will be my comfy game for the winter months.

I just finished the present Robot island but I think I'm missing a fragment somewhere since I' can't assemble a new one

well, ask for guidance
or use the info > next tablet fragment menu option

on of those should tell you where to go

what do?

She's called Helga in my german version

Ask for guidance doesn't get me anything.

When I use Next tablet fragment it tells me the fragment is in Frobisher, stored away in a building somewhere. But the light on the touch screen is completely dim. The latest one I got was from the kid a while ago.

Is the game really too easy or is there a bit of difficulty ?

Check both the past and the present, its in a separate room on the south west side of the fortification, with the door being on its east side.

>just got party wiped in the colosseum

Definitely got difficulty.

It's a kids' game, what do you think?

>the past

ah right. there's a reaction here this time. Thanks. I'll have to be more vigilant

Thanks
I thought the creators said it was always mistaken as a kid's game even though it's not one ?

>constant Desperate attacks
ai why you gotta cheat so much?

>told to go see the king after the first island appears
>king is in a meeting
what do I do

Go to the island first then go to the meeting.

Are all the Islands in the past in the same timeline?

Not entirely if I recall correctly.

I did, and I got both fragments. The meeting is still going on apparently

The whole Alltrades Abbey storyline is some annoying shit.

>No spells or abilties
>Only consistent healing you have is a shitty item that heals 20hp.
>Enemies hit for around that each attack and use spread damage abilities.

rough as fuck.

>Gröndal
>everyone is a chuuni

amazing

Difficulty spike there definitely.

Isnt this game old as fuck? why are you talking about it as if just released?

Try not being a dumb fucking retard

No, I pirated it. Any problems with that?

Yes, end yourself please.

Don't pirate games.

The boss of the descent dungeon just crits my healer first round and then that's that. Can't even afford to res them with the shit gold drops. Stupid stuff.

No, once you start having to go between islands and get stuff from a present island you saved hours ago to save an island in the past and then find a modern plot connection between these two islands as a result ends up with some satisfying NPC payoffs that sometimes you yourself forget about, assuming the game might.

DQ7 is the most well written DQ game, it just takes a lot of investment to start paying off.

Chuni?

but amazon doesn't have it in stock and i live like a weird hermit in the woods two hours away from the closest store that sells video games

what else am i suppose to do?

Why?

It's fun.

I already told my friends and family to pirate it as well.

E-Shop, but I know that you know about that.

so is this actually good or should I just replay DQ8?
Didn't play DQ8 in over 10 years.

Dharma time, but first,
Gambling

i don't like buying games digitally if a physical version exists even if the physical version is just a formality at this point

Italy?

its going to take hundreds of hours to make everyone a hero. i'm going to settle for 3 godhands and 2 summoners

Monster Masher rank 2, are you for real?
well I guess now every available party member has some form of buff

Unfortunately DQ7 isn't a very good game.
Nobody here is actually enjoying it, its all just artificial fun.

It's good. I'd say it's better, but some people's first experience with DQ was 8 so that's gonna be some shit.

Artificial fun is just a buzzword.

No it's an artificial buzzword

You're correct. But only artificially correct.

>Update]
I'm artificially triggered.

Sorry to artificially correct your mistake.

>Metal Slime actually fell asleep from Counting Sheep

very nice

now if Hatchet Man had a reasonable hit rate

Just got to the part where Kiefer leaves the party in the past.
How far story wise am I in the game?

Currently clocked 14 hours.

on a scale of not far at all to really fucking far, you're not far at all

1%

>Get a critical hit and defeat a monster
>They get knock much farther than usual

Love it

>rebellion at the colosseum

FUCKING FINALLY MY HUMAN BLOOD IS BOILING RIGHT NOW.

And they actually don't censor the "I'm taking you monsters down to hell with me" line.

Holy shit the High Priestess is kicking ass with her Crackle. And she has infinite MP too.

The entire Lavender storyline actually left me kinda sad.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
KIEFEEEEEEEERRRRR
COME BAAAAAACK

Gonna give her more HP seeds so she'll tank more hits the cunt.

Reminder that Buff is really good and you should be using it.

Seems like a waste of a turn t b h. I'll use Kabuff when I get it though.

>needing a raft to get around this easily traversable surface

RPG General

>Hero and Maribel have Buff
>Ruff got Kabuff

>every boss fight just starts with me casting Buff and Kabuff a bunch, and keeping everyone's defence up by casting Kabuff every few turns

physical damage ain't shit
atleast not until those fucking ice waves show up

Cardinal Sin's only difficulty comes from his ball attack. It's like 75 damage to two people.

Other than that, if you are sufficiently buffed, he can't touch you.

And the nice thing about buffs is that it sticks even after you die.

Would this be a good entrypoint into the DQ series?

So buff doesn't run out in a few turns? I know things like sap do, and the game doesn't give you a message telling you it's happened.

So, what vocations? What's the best combo to break the game?

The effect slowly decreases. You can see your defense decreasing turn after turn if you try to rebuff your party members.

Yeah.

>When the robot place turns the story from lighthearted to horribly depressing

I want off this ride, are more things this sad?

Yeah. Though it's got a bit of a slow start.

Seventeen hours in and I finally can change my classes.

>game keeps resetting my line-up

STOP

So what did everyone name their Hero?
Mine is Dullahan.

Just noticed that in my screenshots. Why it do this?

My IRL name.

>2016
>Not using the canon name

Why I auster pop you one on the kisser...

Kot

I would have if I knew he had one

", cutie"
I like it when Kings and mayors call me cutie.

Auster. I prefer canon names in DQ games

Wait, is Kiefer really never coming back?

he put the hoe before his bro fuck that prick

Yes.

He has a job of birthing your future party member after all.

Why does she run like an autistic person?

That's not very nice.

I'm at the point just before you can change vocation, I've heard that they changed the level limit for job progress in some places, has anyone found anywhere you can progress your classes regardless of your level?

this place is fucking great

The second half of my name, which sounds medieval enough.

this motherfucker cardinal sin slaps maribel with both of his balls and kills her dead and she's the only one with a ygg leaf.

i got owned

Apparently the DLC tablet dungeons have no level cap and I think 3 are currently available for download.

Did the original have the fire hats as graphics?

No, just torches

>Auster
>canon
Kek

Did Kiefer really just betray me for some fucking puss?

Arus, manga canon

You get his spawn as a superior party member that actually gets MP though

>Go in the Water Cave when you go into the Altar and lose Kiefer
>Find a Prayer Ring
>Give it Mar
>Infinite MP

Fuck

Protip: You can change your party member names on the present Abbey, if you like funny names and all that.

It'll eventually break.

I was expecting her to say something like "sorry, you caught me with a snack" or something and she'd talk normally.

What jobs should I give MC, Mar and Ruff to start off with.

What will be the best?

This group of thieves outside the Abbey. RNG means they fuck you in one round or they're easy as fuck. It's weird.

RNG moves in mysterious ways

Apparently I need to find a farmer near where I first find the Slime-Human-Poet (in Pilchard Bay) but I don't see any NPC looking like a farmer in Pilchard Bay

I'm only in the first island and it's awesome. Dragon Quest remakes are great but this one is even better. Only a hipster would prefer the original over the superior remake.

He's in Estard in one of the buildings. Might be the 2nd floor if the inn.

im currently in animal town, already went and got the blue shards but what now, how do i talk to the animals

woodcutter hut near pilchard bay

Is this game still a horrific mess of grinding for jobs? The PS1 version was horrible about that.

Hero

I talked to the Woodcutter NPC a couple of times but it doesn't do anything special

Just got to volcano island last night before bed, gonna do that today and just take it slow

he can talk to animals so it should progress now

I found a copy and bought it yesterday. But I still havent got the chance to play it. Heck I'm about to leave for work so it'll be at least another 8 hours or so until I CAN play it.

Between this and WoW: Legion I have my pink cheeks stuffed so full of RPGs it's silly

You need to find the boy in the sack first.

uh the npc was the farmer in the Inn in Estard

The Island where your spells get stolen is my favorite Island so far.
I'm having a blast with this game.
Still kinda sad Kiefer left me for some vagina.

I literally (re)bought DQ8 for the ps2 and don't know why considering it'll take me awhile to beat this. Guess I'm just in the DQ grind mood.

Also I'm guessing this chest tease is way later on? I'm at the volcano place atm.

That's an end game chest designed to tease you. Shit like that is in every DQ game though, like how you can see the final dungeon from the first town in the first game, and the only thing separating you from it is a thin strip of water.

The inclusion of enemies on the field has somehow made the Alltrades/Dharma section even worse. There's no way to avoid these bastards and they'll spawn literally 2 seconds after finishing a battle.

Pirate it and buy a copy on Amazon later.

This game seems like it might actually be selling decently well.

When I went to find a copy yesterday, I has to stop at three stores before I finally found a copy and I bought their last game. Now to be fair this could easily be just my local area, but I really hope this is going to convince NoA of Dragon Quest's worth

I wonder how well it's selling digitally

Jojo

If it's anything like Fire Emblem Awakening, probably leagues ahead of physical sales because there are no more physical copies left to buy

Is it possible to win against Storm and his gang the first time you meet them?

I just hope that they go back and release all the 3DS games.

That's great to hear

Same. My usual shop had them all sold when I went there, totally unexpected.

>release all the 3DS games.
There are more 3ds DQ games than VII and VIII?

Dude there's the Rocket Slime games, and Dragon Quest monsters 2, and probably others I don't know about too

There's a shitload of Dragon Quest games that didn't come over for the 3DS.

>Slime Mori Mori 3 aka Dragon Quest Heroes Rocker Slime 2
>Dragon Quest Monsters 1 Remake
>Dragon Quest Monsters 2 Remake
>Theathrythm Dragon Quest
>Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 "Professional announced today"
>Dragon Quest X 3DS port

The original had several bullshit spikes so they made this version for actual babies.

>Dragon Quest X 3DS port
wut?

youtu.be/1R4w3K4-9n8

>Dragon Quest Monsters 1 Remake
>Dragon Quest Monsters 2 Remake

I desperately want this so badly as this was the series that got me into the GBC DQs and by proxy the rest of the series.

So we can all agree that this is easily GOTY so far, right?

Is he referring to the Ballymolloy island?
Because it seems to be the nearest island next to the main island.

Since its the only game I've bought so far this year, yeah.

And yet people are still having trouble with this game despite it being easier than the PS1 game.

The only thing that we can do is spam their inbox, and send snail mail just like it happened for DQVII.

What address do I send to senpai?

Still waiting on DQ3, it never released in europe well apart from ios but I really don't want to ruin the experience by playing it on a phone.

If Dragon Quest VII sells more than expected, we have a chance the monster games might be localized. And considering SquareEnix expects Dragon Quest VII to be a total bust, I think the signs are pretty good. The game already seems to be selling out in most areas. And I haven't seen a DQ this hyped since Dragon Quest IX.

Get a ROM of the SNES remake with the translation patch, this is the best way to play it in English

No, that's SMT4A.

FUCK YOU FINGERS, I WILL END YOU.

Nope, I've gotta still finish III, and play IV, V, and VI before I get around to VII, and with how slow I am with playing these, it'll probably be 5 years before I get to VII.

Its stupid we didn't at least get Theathrythm DQ. Well, its stupid we didn't get all the games. But we already got the first two Theathrythm games. And it looks like they're planning a KH Theathrythm. If we get the KH game but not the DQ game, then its a pretty clear sign Squenix just likes to fuck over Dragon Quest.

And then another 20 years before you finish it

I wish they'd just throw us a bone and bring Theatrhythm DQ over, it can't have much text at all that needs to be translated, and they could at least give it to us as a digital only game like Capcom likes to do if they're worried about sales or distribution costs

>Its stupid we didn't at least get Theathrythm DQ
We're not even getting the orchestral music in DQ7 and DQ8, but you think it's weird we didn't get the game ENTIRELY based on music?

Do you even have a brain?

>Do you even have a brain?
Do you?

All the music in Theathrythm is the original MIDI music, not the orchestrated versions.

You can send it to the creator Yuji Horii, or the producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto.
If you wanna talk shit about the localization send it to Mei Koshimizu.

SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
SHINJUKU EASTSIDE SQUARE
6-27-30 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku,
Tokyo 160-8430, Japan

Sadly, Mobile is your best bet unless you emulate the SNES/GBC version.

Square Enix is always up to fuck over Dragon Quest if it helps their homeboy Final Fantasy shine.

problem is it might also be a product of squeenix not printing a lot of cartridges, I didnt even see any advertising for it, just builders.

But im holding out hope for more ports. I want my fucking monsters games

>problem is it might also be a product of squeenix not printing a lot of cartridges

That might be Nintendo's fault, they're the publisher for the game.

i hear you guys camplaining about the localisation, the accents and such
im playing in german and there are also accents but theyre done pretty well i mean the residents of animal town now gret me in italian
pretty comfy desu

Nintendo distributed the game. And if DQVI is any indication, they probably printed more than they needed. DQVI got a larger printing than DQIV or V did, yet took years to sell all the copies.

Dragon Quest VII seems to be selling a lot faster. Though I can't confirm it by actual sales numbers unless Nintendo or SE releases that data. But between all the hype online and seeing actual stores/amazon selling out of the game, I'd say its doing pretty damn good.

I just want them to apologize for IV

I've disliked dialects in most of the games. But I've been able to just overlook it in this game for some reason. Except for the Italian junk in one town. That was too heavy handed (mostly because they were using real Italian words in place of English).

youtube.com/watch?v=cBFXn_rlnBQ
Joker 3 Professional. Now I REALLY hope we get this version. I am still holding out to play Joker 2 because I was hoping there would be a fan translation of 2 Professional.

>This warrior laid down his life to protect me. He is a true hero.
You did it bro ;_;

Why does everyone draw her all suggestive?

I'm a retard how do you get that chest outside of estard

>get to the inventors house
>That music kicks in

Instantly sad. New Ellie is cute too

Because she's a Tsundere who lusts after the heroes cock? Have you not played the game yet? Half her party chat is her asking the hero indirect questions about how he thinks of her. And as the game goes on, those indirect questions become a lot more direct.

Much later in the game the two old ladies will go away from the well. You'll know when by the story guiding you to the castle.

I can already go down it but it led nowhere cause that was my immediate thought. Is there a secret path down there? I just opened up the volcano island

You don't. It's a lie. It never actually happens.
I played for 30 hours and it never unlocks

I just gave some kid a green crystal and I'm only an hour or so in, so not really.

>the characters now wear hats instead of carrying torches
what?

You're an hour into the 100+ hour game

I couldn't care much about it. That being sad I heard people saying the garden island was VERY sad and there was absolutely nothing aside from a guy who ran away.

I'm usually the first to cry when it comes to sad stuff but on this game I feel like people are seriously overreacting.

I told myself I would force myself to be patient and play through the game, but I'm starting to doubt I'll make it through.

king of estard? His name was burns before. I haven't gotten the remake yet, they changed it to donald?

>Prince Kiefer
>King Donald
Please tell me that there's another member of the royal family named Rossif or Rossie or Ross or something

It was released 2 days ago

He's more like 4-5 hours in. But yeah, he's got a long way to go. Still, it should be obvious by then even what Maribel is like. Unless he's ignoring party chat.

the original didn't change any graphics when you had a torch

>It was rereleased 2 days ago
Fixed

Erdrick for me. Dad constantly wants to see his kid grow up big and strong so named him after a hero of legend and shit.

>Not Loto
I admire your dedication to this series

Mine is David. Him and Kiefer are besties.

Things like that are a little faster paced
but there's more of them so it still takes longer

Mozart for some Lels

>everything about the Greenthumb Gardens/Wilted Hearts storyline

How do you fuck up THAT badly? I can't even feel sorry for the guy, how do you manage to pick the one option that's even worse that what he was afraid of?

>doesn't want to run away from town with the girl he loves because he doesn't want to abandon his family
>promptly runs away from town WITHOUT said girl, abandoning his family

Fuck that guy. The girl was a retard for falling in love with him in the first place.

There's no way I'm 4 hours in. I've played for like... two hours across three days.

This game has party chat?

What jobs are new?

Xavier. Like I do for every DQ hero. No, its not my real name. I just thought it sounded 'fantasy' as an ignorant kid and I kept using it.

Go visit there in the present, go up the hill to the church, and check the graves

One of the first video games I remember really playing was Dragon Warrior on my dad's NES. Didn't even know what Dragon Quest was for a long time, thought it was a Japanese rip off of Dragon Warrior.

Not that guy but the game straight up tells you about party chat you can't avoid that

>There's no way I'm 4 hours in. I've played for like... two hours across three days.
You must have really rushed through the intro and talked to the bare minimum amount of NPCs then. It took me about 2 hours to do the prologue because I talked to everyone and searched everything I could.

>This game has party chat?
Press the B button.

>Didn't even know what Dragon Quest was for a long time, thought it was a Japanese rip off of Dragon Warrior.
That's kinda cute.

The people back in Wilted Hearts claimed the guy was a bachelor all his life. They were likely reunited posthumously. My guess is the girl also ran away from town forming the monastery. So basically the worst end for everyone except the rich asshole who probably ended up with his maid.

I'm at 2 and a half hours. I don't feel like I rushed. I explored both towns, broke all the pots and opened all the shit I could find. Talked to a ton of people multiple times. Explored most of the castle.

I'm 11:30 hours into the game and I'm only at the island where people are turned into animals?

Welcome to DQVII

Where do I find monsters after they come to me and get referred to the island? I can't seem to find them there at all

So punishment grinding is still in place? Have the number of fights to master jobs dropped from the mid 200s or not? Do fights against weaker enemies count now?

Is there a list of vocation branches/combos? All I know is usually priest + mage = sage.

the game mentioned that advanced vocations skills are exclusive, even after unlocking them

do the lv2 vocation count for that? or lv3 only?

It wasn't that he didn't want to leave his family, it's that if he ran off with the girl they would be punished for it.

Just starting visiting the volcano island in the present. Goddamn, the nostalgia is strong.
Getting to the first fight so quickly felt really nice. This went from having one of the longest openings I've ever experienced to one of the shortest. I think I was at an hour and maybe a half when I hit the first battle this time around. It sucks that the tablet shrine doesn't have the same atmosphere anymore because of the changes, but it's worth it overall for the better flow.

They wear hats with torches on them.

The Volcano island is one of the best examples of how the new graphical engine improved the game. In the old game, you think the fortune teller is just a generic NPC. In that game, she has her own model and personality.

The battle screen inside the dungeon was honestly pretty.

I picked it up on release day but I'm still playing V at the moment. Hope to get to VII by the end of this week.

Man are you nerds this far into the game already? Jesus...

Are there accents in your translation?
In the french one every village seems to be a different country.
Volcano town is Brazil, Statue town is Germany, Animal town is Italia, and so on.

>Volcano town is Brazil
How so? All the others are kind of obvious but volcano being Brazil doesn't make much sense.

>playing SMT IV after 20 hours of DQ
It's a bit funny how something so simple as the focus on weaknesses to gain advantages over the oppponent's turn can make the combat feel so much better.

DQ's combat is so simple and straightforward on the other hand. It kind of makes sense though since it technically is the precursor to almost everything else.

In animal village, at present, there is a tablet in town, I got one from the mountain, but am I supposed to get the village one now?

I want Jessica to step on me

Do you ever get a boat to explore in this game or is it just warping to islands?

You get the salvation stone in the 3ds version that allows for free heals

You get a ship laterl.

Fuck this game's sudden boss fights, they're all faster than you and without any abilities you can't use your fucking herbs fast enough, and the snooze rod doesn't work on anything.

You get a boat like immediately after the first island, but there really are no other islands in the world besides the starting one and the ones you restore so it depends on your definition of exploring

more specific spoiler you get the boat right after exploring the first island so you can visit it in the present

TFw I was the healslut and my mage was a mage.

I never used the stone.

Same spot actually, I don't know how to get to that other house past the mountain. I also think i have enough blue tablets to finish another puzzle though so i am going to try that.

>visit it in the present
oh shit

Where was the tablet in the past? I forgot rather fast.

How do you win at the matching minigame at the casinos?

Man, the Island where your spells get stolen is so long and fun.
Just beat the Tiger and Pig boss.

>spend an hour last night looking for a tablet on the automaton island
>ended up being under the castle walkway, in a door I could only see if I rotated the camera
>the minute I found it, I realize it was the same stupid mistake I made on the PS1 version

git gud

I don't remember but yeah when you get the one from the mountain in the present you have enough blue to make another tablet.

What's the respectable amount of time to play it to see if you enjoy it?

I've heard this is a giant game and I'm pnly 3 hours I'm but it's pacing is killing it for me so far.

DQ also focuses on using enemy weaknesses. It just doesn't tell you what they are and expects you to try to find it. Apparently most people don't try and just spam attack.

For example, the second boss in the game (the big Moai head) can be put to sleep. And the fight actually becomes too easy if you figure that out.

It depends entirely on your own views. But most people seem to get into the game with the Volcano continent or the second town where people are turned to stone.

If you're not enjoying it after 3 hours you're not going to be enjoying it after 50 hours.
Around 20 hours is when you unlock vocations and things actually start to branch out though.

Where are the stairs in wilkommen

First time playing. First DQ game.

I know it's long.

Any tips for a first time player?

It does have a slow start.
I started to really enjoy it after the Volcano island.

I always use Guin.
Someday i clicked in my mind, also the author of the erathsea saga has guin as last name.

Don't try to tackle bosses right from the get go. Especially after exploring the area and gaining levels or else you will lose half your gold for getting wiped out. So running back out to save is never a bad thing.

Don't give any seeds to Keifer. If you don't know where to go next, talk to the NPCs. If Keifer disappears and you can't find him in the castle, he's probably at the Shrine. Any empty item slots on your characters should be filled with a Medicinal or Antidotal Herb (as well as buying 99 medicinal herbs when you have the extra money). Always try out every new skill that characters learn and don't rely on just spamming attack. Search every barrel/pot/cupboard/bookshelf you find, and remember to rotate the camera to find hidden ones. Go down all paths, especially the wrong one. Trial and error everything, including in combat. Press B at the end of every important conversation. Have fun.

You'll get seeds which permanently boost stats including HP/MP

Don't give any to Kiefer

If you go to the info section in the menu you can find out where the fragments you need to collect are.

Don't take it too seriously. The combat is very simple and so is the story. Don't expect to get mind blown or anything, just enjoy the ride.

Is there any way to increase your chance of success on running away from combat in the early game? Because holy shit I am getting wrecked here and every time I try to run I get stopped.

Took me 16 hours but when I asked people told me 20

Level up and get better equipment. Don't run away

>(the big Moai head) can be put to sleep
Won't it wake up when it's attacked?

Putting aside Kiefer, who else is left behind later? And why he can learn spells but doesn't has any MP? It's been a few years since I last played a DQ game (from the main games at least).

No

Your chances of running away decrease the more times you use it. And you shouldn't have to run much. You probably need to buy better gear or use more skills. For example, Keifer probably knows Flame Slash by now. So use that (it costs no MP). And buy a bunch of medicinal herbs so your hero and Maribel can heal.

I have the best gear available right now. Other than one thing I didn't buy I think. I'm kinda getting screwed because my HealSlut is useless at the moment due to plot.

>Don't give any seeds to Keifer.

I think they *may* transfer in the 3DS version. Though I'm basing that off of an image of Aira I can't find. She's holding up a sign written in Japanese. Trying to Google it now, but I can't find anything.

I don't think he learns any spells. All of his abilities have no MP cost.

Abilities, not spells

Abilities are different from magic, his flame slash for example doesn't cost any MP.

Abilities =/= spell. Abilities don't require MP to use while spells do.

Oh my fucking god two boss fights in a row I was meant to lose. I fucking reset twice.

He's overly susceptible to sleep. So he has a much lower chance of waking up than most enemies. I was able to hit him 4-5 times before he woke up. Then using snooze a second time, he went right back to sleep. And I killed him before he woke up.

some abilities do cost mp

>Automaton dropped Iron Axe

Try switching to some multi hitting weapons like boomerangs or whips if you aren't already. Stock up on medicinal herbs and use the infinite healing item the thief gave you.
I tried running from a few battles there as well and it ended up fucking me up more than if I'd fought them.

You mean this sign? And I'm not taking any chances. I'm just gonna hold onto the seeds until I get my class changes. Then use all the seeds in the Dharma Temple. Game has been pretty easy so far.

I'm not taking it seriously at all so far. It's very goofy.

I just hope it stays interesting throughout in terms of characters.

This goofy motherfucker is my favorite thing about the game so far, bouncing up and down to the battle music.

>those raptor enemies with two swords
>they jump perfectly with the music

I fucking love DQ monster designs
They're just so goddamn goofy and qt

Anyone else find it statisfying to find the island you just helped out pop up on the world map?

The Salvation Stone? Every time I click "use" it says it doesn't work. Also won't let me equip it. No idea how to make it work.

Yeah, that's the one. The sign signs "I inherit the effects of the seeds used on Kiefer." Still, I understand not taking the chance.

>doing the Greenthumb Gardens dungeon
>find the boss while strolling towards the green fragment
>the fucker has two mooks that cast Kasap and he can cast Sizzle just to fuck with my shit
>By the end of the battle everyone bar MC is dead
>still gotta go all the way up alone since Maribel is dead and can't cast Evac
>low on supplies
>out of MP
>last save: 2 hours ago

It has to be in a character's inventory. You can only use it in battle with that character. Doesn't work on the field.

That'd be nice to get, I'm being really cheap with buying things.

How do you get stone tablet in The Haven? I just unlocked that island in the present and after clearing the traveler's tablet I still didn't get the stone tablet.

Holy shit thank you. I had no idea how to get the fucker to work.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to keep going on till there and see if anything clicks.

Every DQ game I call the MC "Hero", as that's what the figure of the VIII one I bought was called

is this your first DQ? plenty of other games in the franchise have items that only have a use in combat

No problem. When I first played it on the PS1 I think I did the same.

I've only played the NES stuff before this actually.

I'm enjoying everything about it except pic related

Does anything ever happen between the MC and Maribel? Do they hook up in the end, or is all this tsun just a cocktease?

If you're not pressing B to talk to your party your missing out. It's the best part of the game.

At what Island do i get Aria?
I'm at the Island where i get to choose classes.

What's the point of all the other classes if Hero is clearly the best?

Hell, why would anyone even use the primary classes outside of the requirements to unlock the higher tier ones? There's literally no point

Always keep 99 Medicinal herbs for that very reason. Later it becomes easy when you are given a Yggrasil leaf.

Quite a bit later. There's another party member before her.

>Hell, why would anyone even use the primary classes outside of the requirements to unlock the higher tier ones?

You wouldn't, the whole point of them is to get their skills and unlock better classes, literally nobody ever expected you to keep using the basic ones forever

It sucks that they removed this feature at localization of DQ4 at DS.

>"We gotta do [thing]!"
>"..."

When you first enter the Haven, press A in the middle until you get it, that is if the tracker is blipping.

I literally just got to this point.

"The prince seems like a nice and sensible chap. Unlike a certain other prince I could name..."

"Don't listen to this idiot Hero. You'll become just as bad as him."

"Getting tons of free gifts and always getting what you want. That would be pretty annoy- Hey, why are you making that face hero!"

>green fragments are always lying on top of grass

>you will never go on adventures with a fiery redhead who lusts for your shota cock but won't admit it

>You will never go on adventures with a silver wolf turned into an energetic little boy and his adoptive wolf mother who just want to eat a lot and have fun

Why is she so perfect?

wew lad

Do you keep the skills from Monster Classes even when you change class?

Where do i find the bottle from the "slovenly" man? I have no idea what the game is talking about.

STUCK! At the animal town and can't find the 5th human. The old man horse, the run away kid, the one right next door, and the dude standing in front of their houses. Where's the 5th?

Your piece of shit uncle

I think I'll play sentinels of the starry skies after this. I crave more games with a variety of classes.

some building that you enter through the back, second floor

>all NPCs talk about your drunk as fuck uncle and everyone in town shittalks him
>cant find the slovenly man with a bottle
wut

cat second floor of inn

thanks, family

Without spoiling anything, please tell me I get Kiefer back eventually, he was the broest of bros.

Also, I'm grinding vocations after Alltrades Abbey.

I have a hard time even finding the dude so I'm was wondering if that was even the guy.

>abandon you for the smallest scent of puss
>broest of bros
no. Fuck Kiefer

He's gone family.

You get his great great great great great great great great granddaughter later

I went to the slime tablet to see if there is a limit to job progress there. I'm level 17 and I'm able to increase my job level here, so it might not have a limit or at least I haven't reached it yet and since the exp slimes give is not going to level me up too quickly, this place can probably be used for a while or indefinitely if there isn't a level cap here.

Limit is level 20.

I feel like this game never let's me Evac

Fairly sure that it's only the case when you haven't beat the boss of the area first.

>Wanting someone with an NTR fetish back.

Nah, almost every time I've beaten a boss and tried to Evac, it doesn't work. I guess it exits the entire area, so they don't want me to miss any scenes.

Somehow I managed to come out in one piece, I'm impressed at how hard Arus can carry his weight with a boomerang.

It's why 5 beats 4 in my opinion.

Regardless of that, I've mastered two classes without leveling up once.

is it even possible to beat strom?

i beat his two minions but i can't survive long enough to kill the cunt

Do monster munchies work if they're in my bag?

>yfw you realize keifer was so interested in finding other worlds because he got sucked into Dragon Quest 2 land as a kid

Seems like it, yeah. I think you can use them and it gives you a higher chance of recruitment though.

Do you have to change classes?
Or is your "default" class a class itself?

You can play without changing classes, but there's no point unless you're doing some sort of challenge run.

If you don't change classes, you're going to have a really bad time. You might be able to just pound your way through the game if you grind for a few weeks, but I don't know.

Yeah. I find it hilarious.

So why does the game lag whenever I open a menu or choose an attack during battle?