Dragon Quest VIII Comparison

So which version of DQ8 is better?

Basically I loved the PS2 version when I was a kid, though I never beat the boss where Dhoulmagus turns into a bird-thing. I was an idiot and put all my points into the characters special stats, and I ran away from fights A LOT.

I could just put my PS2 copy into my PS3 and play it, or I could buy it on the 3ds for the updated version. All I can find online about the changes are good things, but they might be biased.

Is it worth it?

From what I've gathered, the 3DS port has a little bonus content, but downgrades graphics by a good chunk.

If you're not sure it's worth it, then just skip it.

Personally, I've gotten a lot out of DQVIII on PS2 that I don't mind dropping an additional $40 to play the 3DS version for the bonus content alone.

Gonna post my copypasta yet again.

- Shittier graphics
- Some censorship
- Two new characters, who are both great
- Two new dungeons, though one is just a series of buffed up bosses
- Auto maps for all but one dungeon
- On screen encounters
- Instant alchemy
- Save anywhere
- Picture sidequest
- New SS rank in the arena
- Can see how much EXP you need to level up in the menu
- New costumes
- Can increase the battle speed

I haven't played the PS2 version, but I quite enjoyed the 3DS vesion.

It's been so long this would basically be like my first playthrough again. Or my 1.5th playthough, I guess.

In your opinion which is better for a FIRST playthrough of the game?

That's actually a really good argument for it. I was kind of leaning towards just playing the PS2 version, but now I'm not sure.

Fuck.

New content means jack shit when it looks and runs like garbage. Not to mention the obvious censorship NoA is gonna force on the game. They already replaced the orchestrated OST with a midi version. The 3ds version will also have compressed audio so it sounds 10x worse than the PS2 version. VII and VIII prove that no matter how much you "fix" a game the original will always be better in every single way. I'm hoping Sony releases VIII on PS4 so people can play the definitive version legally. VII and VIII are fantastic games, but not on 3DS.

how have they censored anything? Haven't played the game on 3ds yet.

>On screen encounters
This is really tempting. I've wanted to replay it for some time.

If it means anything, I didn't even think about the graphics really. I just played the game and had fun. The only thing that bothered me even a little bit is the censorship, but it's relatively minor.

NoA won't force anything on the game since they won't be localizing it, and I wouldn't say it runs like shit. From a comparison video, the battle load in times are a couple seconds longer. You're right about the MIDI OST though.

I think I read that the west version won't have orchestrated music, you should probably add that to the pasta.

Also, what was censored? I imagine it wasn't much and I'll play the game anyway, just curious.
I guess the scene with two slimes was removed

Stuff censored in the Japanese version:

- Jessica's bikini is just a palette swap of her dancer's outfit.
- Gelda/Red wears shorts now.
- The titty vampire's boobs are very slightly more covered (I'm surprised I even noticed it, especially since I haven't played the PS2 version, but I've seen them in screenshots before)
- Forced dog food eating is gone
- Marcello doesn't stab his arm anymore, but blasts it with magic that doesn't harm him.

Not entirely related, but I saw a video of part of the English version where you talk to that spirit in the tower near Jessica's town and she was actually altered slightly in the English PS2 version for some reason. I'll grab a couple screenshots in a minute.

>- Some censorship
Costume design changes that were made in the JP version before it was released. That isn't censorship.

>orchestrated OST removed
That we blame on the composer, whom many have pointed out doesn't want his stuff being played on international versions of the games. He's apparently a nutjob.

>VII
>not fantastic on the 3DS
I disagree.

wait is this serious
not the same music we got on ps2?

>So which version of DQ8 is better?
The one with the least amount of grinding. So that one goes to emulators for having a speed-up function

I imagine the loading times are better than on PS2 where they were terrible, at least in the Western version.

The graphics do look like shit on 3DS but it's not like they're anything impressive in the PS2 version. Looks nice in screenshots but the visuals don't stand out when you're actually playing the game.

The 3DS retains the only important part of the visuals, the character models. Kind of.

Jesus Christ!
NINTENDO USED TO BE FUN
When did they become 4kids?

Oh, I forgot that Jessica's lingerie outfit is a bit more covered up, and her thighs are covered in her Mysterious Bustier costume (which I think is Divine Bustier in the English version). Her bunny outfit is actually more revealing.

Anyway, here's what I was talking about regarding the spirit woman. This is what she looks like in both Japanese versions, but in the video I saw of her in the English PS2 version, her shoulders and cleavage was covered, which is really odd considering nothing else concerning tits was censored. Can't find a picture of her from the English version, though I'm not sure I know what her name is. I think it was Alexandra (it's Riizas in the Japanese version).

Those was allegedly Horii's decision. I figure CERO had some part in it, they've been getting worse with each passing year.

>So that one goes to emulators for having a speed-up function

//Experience Gained x8
patch=1,EE,203609D4,extended,8FA2319C
patch=1,EE,203609D8,extended,000210C0

//Less Often Random Battles
patch=1,EE,202FA89C,extended,0000447A

//50/50 Chance Of Normal Or Rare Drop
patch=1,EE,20296FAC,extended,0C04D0FE
patch=1,EE,20296FB0,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,20296FB4,extended,30420001
patch=1,EE,20296FB8,extended,00021040
patch=1,EE,20296FBC,extended,02221021
patch=1,EE,20296FC0,extended,1000002A
patch=1,EE,20296FC4,extended,94420048

//Earn Skill Points Per Level x4
patch=1,EE,203778D4,extended,00052880

>Jessica's bikini is just a palette swap of her dancer's outfit.

Dropped

>I disagree.

Of course you do, you Nintendo nut-hugging tripfaggot. Go back to sucking on your little handheld's analog nipple.

Figured I'd show off Jessica's changed outfits.

Welp time to start that emulator

Really hard to tell in this picture, a back shot would have been easier, but if you look real hard, you'll notice the lack of zettai ryouiki.

should I just replay the ps2 version or wait for the 3DS version?

Magic Bikini. A lot of people convinced themselves that the skirt was a new equippable accessory, but I played through it, and I can tell you that it isn't.

While it may be censorship, I find the 3ds costumes better/more fashionable.

>literally ruining the bunny outfit

kys

The 3ds version doesn't offer that much so just play it now instead of waiting, if you want.

It's the same shit for FF12, people waiting for that are kind of retarded.

These will be change for the localization.

-Treehouse
-Mr. Change

this is much better

And for the hell of it, here's Gelda's shorts. Gelda's a fantastic character by the way. Killer Juggling is great, and with some Oomps, is just devastating.

hell, even better because it doesn't fucking chipmunk the music.

I can't play Pokemon without insta text nowadays

PC version.

Bunny suits are ugly, user. It's all about that midriff.

>well, jessica's outfits changing dont really bother me
>bunny suit isnt a bunny suit
Thats fucking low, nintendo

You jest?

>music
pcsx2 has an option to get that from not happening,

There's also a no random battle cheat but I wonder how it would work for scripted bosses.

Lack of orchestral music and shittier graphics are what really hurts it, even if it's only the fault of hardware limitations.

A game all about exploration isn't as comfy with those backdraws.

Nope.

Oh I just found a video of the English version of Youtube. Guess I was imagining things, she looks exactly the same.

>Lack of orchestral music really hurts it

Fuck no, Sugiyama's midis are incredible and the PS2 arrangements lost a lot of what makes his music special. I never played the localized version on PS2 because of it so I couldn't be happier with how things ended up for the 3DS version.

Ah well, I don't care about any of those things so it won't deter me.
How does it run on the regular 3DSXL?

I enjoyed DQ8 a great deal and the extras in this version would normally be pretty tempting, but I'm not convinced.

I wouldn't know, I played it on an original 3DS. Ran just fine on that.

I really hope the lack of orchestrated soundtrack is just a rumor. I absolutely enjoyed DQVIII's music and having it gone will be upsetting.

Damn, I regret buying now.

The instant alchemy is pretty nice, and so are the new characters. Morrie is great for Metal monster hunting, and is kinda fun in general. And I've already mentioned Gelda's fantastic Killer Juggling (and being able to steal stuff is nice).

I'm pretty autistic about censorship most times, and while I was annoyed with DQ VIII 3DS's censorship, in the end I didn't really feel it had that negative an impact on the game.

nope, we get a MIDI ost because the composer is wacko

>finally decided to play Nocturne
>take a short break
>see this thread
>get in the mood for some comfy DQVIII instead
at this rate I'll never finish this game

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the game has a dual audio feature for the Japanese VA? I'm in love with Takehito Koyasu, so hearing him as Dhoulmagus would be great

Why is a game of this caliber being remade on a fucking handheld? It's too good for the 3DS.

I wish they would have remade it for the PS4 or Wii U instead

>playing any game on 3DS when other platforms are available
I don't care how many convenience features they add or what extra tacked-on content they put in, it's not worth the N64-tier graphics.

I played Noctune a couple months ago. It was great. I spent most of last year playing DQ I-IX, and this year I've been playing Persona and SMT. 20 something JRPGs in under 20 years is kind of a lot, I think I need to take a break after I play IV Final.

Also, I'm hitting the sack, so if anyone asks questions about the 3DS version of DQ VIII and you feel I'm ignoring you, well, now you know why.

If they won't even dish out the cash for orchestral music licenses (if that is indeed the case), then I doubt they'll do it for the Japanese VA. He was a great Dholmagus though, he had the best laugh.

>better graphics
>better pacing
>improved combat speed
>extra content
>doesn't take 2-3 hours to get into the game

Yeah, the 3DS version of VII is better.

>of this calibe
DQ8 has always been overrated.

Same with the 3DS. Still would have preferred us getting a proper remake rather than a gimped handheld version.

>VII and VIII are fantastic games, but not on 3DS.

This, the hardware choices just baffles me, I have no idea why they would release these games on a platform that literally can't even run the original games properly, I don't get why they would choose to complicate what should be a simple port by literally having to remove shit out of a game and degrade existing features just to accommodate because the target hardware is so bad. I just don't understand why they would do this to the series and to themselves.

3DS version was recently confirmed to be removing orchestral music for the overseas release

doesn't the game have like a repel-equivalent?
I've only played 9 on ds so I don't remember a whole lot

also item-art and some costumes.
3ds undub when?

>I have no idea why they would release these games on a platform that literally can't even run the original games properly
Because mobile and portable games are the only things nips play anymore.

I already returned my copy of VII. NoA won't get a cent out me after that butchery. At least Builders and Heroes 2 will come out on handhelds stronger than the fucking dreamcast.

2 days after leaks.

Really?

>NoA

VII got its undub around that time frame, so maybe.

Doing God's work user, though sadly you're really not making a dent in their Mario Maker and Amiibo sales, which are the worse cancer.
It's sad but at least you're doing what you can.