Does this shit actually help you make games?

does this shit actually help you make games?

Other urls found in this thread:

doombuilder.com/
forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3630.0
yoyogames.com
marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/143/yoyo-rpg
youtube.com/watch?v=9hdFG2GcNuA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As opposed to MS paint or norton antivirus?

Yes it does.

Already getting buyer's remorse from the bundle?

Not with that mindset OP

only dropped a dollar so not too badly. this shit is $150 on steam.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO

Depends on the type of game you're trying to make.
The Steam does give you a few additional benefits which are completely useless

just use unity. unity is free . unity has more flexibility and blending animations through interpolation

Does anybody know if the code of this tutorial

https:// forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3630.0

still works? I tried it and the enemy doesn't explode and the game crashes. If I set the hp to 0 it explodes normally.

Unity is for scrubs, real men code their own engine

If you have good sources on how to learn GML and a decent attitude along with minimal art skills, yes.
They made Risk of Rain and Hyperlight Drifter with it. Basically if you stick to 2D it's fine and much better than any other engine or Unity, with the exception of your own fucking engine, if you CAN write one that is.

This.

Games like Nuclear Throne and Hyper Drift Light or Undertale are done with this, so yeah.

Good games made with GameMaker

Hotline Miami
Spelunky
Risk of Rain
Hyper Light Drifter
and of course
Undertale

>code your own engine
when this meme will end? enjoy finishing your unoptimized shit, fucking tryhards.

I can fish out a buck no problem to play with this program.

Do you need the higher tiers at all? What do they add?

I fucking hate the 'code your own engine' meme.
do you even know how time wasting it is to make your own engine when there are ones out there for free and will most likely be better?

At this rate you will never be John Carmack like the rest of us.

doombuilder.com/
?

>enjoy finishing your unoptimized shit
See, this is where you're WRONG. because you can tailor the engine to the game it will be far more optimized than it would've been on a regular engine.

And I finished my game.

>do you even know how time wasting it is to make your own engine
yes. its more time, so what? its better for practicing coding and you can tailor it to your needs. pros and cons to everything.
>when there are ones out there for free and will most likely be better?
NOPE. Tailored is always better than premade. unless you're a horrible tailor, in which case practice makes perfect.

post game, im curious user

>only dropped a dollar
you don't get all the modules unless you spend 15 dollars

do it while you can unless it already ended then GG man you missed out

and it's actually almost $2k, not $150

This user knows what he's talking about. I also wrote my own engine and it took about 18 months working on it every day. It was hard work and time consuming, but VERY rewarding.

I now have my own engine that I know like the back of my hand, and I'm writing games with it - games that will never have to show someone else's (Unity) logo, and will never have to pay licence fees, and best of all - I never have to wait for someone else to fix my bugs or update the engine - I just go in and do it myself.

Shit runs fast as fuck.

Just use pygame user. It's a more transferrable skill.

>just got my python web API to work
feels good.

just post the url normally man
forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3630.0

No. I'm already working on free version and I'm not poorfag enough to drop 1$. At the very least I save 10 seconds on every build I run since the splash is omitted.

Nothing stops me from my nefarious plan of unleashing a wave of undertale cash-ins now. except nodev

yes I know I don't get all the modules, tell me something I don't know smart guy

like if those modules are actually needed

Good job user!
I on the other hand spent $1 and 10 minutes acquiring GameMaker.

have fun not raking in normie mobile money then

You still didn't answer his question.

Are
Those
Modules
Actually worth anything of value?

I dont have it uploaded but if you really want it I'll upload it.

It wasn't a game for other to play, it was a game made for a uni project. it was basically an Aurora 4x clone.

The thing is, people get all this just for the 1 dollar meme.

no fees, no logos on startup and besides that, you will quite early drop the "drag 'n' drop" UI and write code yourself anyway.

>mobile

But user dont you want to make UWP games that only work on win10?

>being able to export to more than just windows/xbone/playstation
yes, they are
and for the prices you're getting them at, why wouldn't you

Yes.

The choice of engine doesn't really matter to anyone who cares about making games more than about the tool, though.

Dont forget anons, RPG Maker is still the best engine out there! Right?.... g..guys? Theres a mobile version coming out soon.... i guess thats... c..cool...

sure it won't make the game for you though

>Gunpoint
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Hotline Miami
>Battleships Forever
>Spelunky
>Undertale
>Gods Will Be Watching
>Risk of Rain

Yes?

quality post friend
is that your game? looks nice

Each engine (including self-coded engine) is good for its own thing, each engine has its own pros and cons. in the end it all depends on what you need and your own skill.

w- what?
Of course it matters what engine you use.

It's good for making retro jrpgs. It may not be the most feature rich game engine, but you wouldn't try to hit nails in with a saw.

this, pretty much. Shit engine is still shit tho.

don't forget rivals of aether

I bought it off the bundle but have no idea how to activate the key

go to their website
yoyogames.com

The key I got off the Humble Bundle doesn't work, what the hell

have you activated in the HumbleBundle section?

Nevermind, I got it.

I was inputting the key in the normal "Upgrade License" section, and didn't notice there was a section dedicated to Humble Bundle keys.

s'all good my man

>successful games that churned out millions were made on gamemaker studio
you help make the game, not gamemaker studio.

Parasite in city

How do I code my own engine?

no, GM:S is worthless shit for nodevs and GML is cancer

use Unity like someone who isn't a fucking retard

or don't, more money for me

Hotline Miami was fairly successful.

shut the fuck up you retard

>HEY GUYS I WANT TO DRIVE 800 MILES SHOULD I BUY THIS YUGO?
>the fuck? no just buy a normal car
>UH, B-B-BUT, ONE TIME SOMEONE ELSE DROVE A YUGO REALLY FAR SO IT MUST BE PERFECT??????

you fucking retard GM:S apologists have zero practical knowledge or experience with anything so all you can do to defend your retard choices is spout BUT MUH HOTLINE MIAMI! MUH RISK OF RAIN!! because you clearly can't base an argument on GM:S's performance or workflow

if you're asking this question, you're probably not ready to code your own engine.

>use Unity like someone who isn't a fucking retard
see

also theres always this third retard

>HURR DURR REAL MEN BUILD THEIR OWN CAR
>FUCK BUYING CAR PARTS TOO, CAST YOUR OWN ENGINE OUT OF IRON YOU FORGE YOURSELF

Sounds like you can't base an argument either

It's a tool you can use.

If you don't know how to use it, or you don't know what to create, then it won't help much.

Otherwise yes. It's a pretty good tool and if your project is 2D chances are you're not gonna need anything else. Unity is more powerful.

reminder that this is the kind of retard that never finishes a game.
or else prove me wrong.

Undertale was made in Game Maker...

why should i waste my valuable time? i make $30/hr contracting unity labor and you make $0/hr defending your faggy purchases on the internet

unity has a better 2D workflow backed by a real language (C#) that you can do actual fucking math in and a real shader language that you can write actual fucking math in

but by all means continue wasting your time making retro indie pixel shit while I get rich

You sound like a real piece of shit as a person. Just wanted to let you know.

i'm a professional, you're a nobody lmao

If I wanted to make a very simplistic RPG (and no I'm not doing one of those tumblrtale or erfbound shitty clones) with simplistic graphics as well, wouldn't rpg maker be the better tool here?

Or do you think that it wouldn't be much harder here?

Thing is, Game Maker lets me make games with zero prior knowledge.

If I got into Unity, I'd have to start reading books on C#, and I don't have the time for that.

>comparing the difficulty of building a car to building your own engine.
Apples and oranges man, building a custom engine for your games is perfectly doable, it just takes a little bit more time and knowledge in programming. Cars require knowledge in many fields of engineering.

lol this fucking faggot got obliterated and has no argument so he's going to start insulting me like i'm not rich and could possibly give a shit

Nuclear Throne though GM is the single biggest issue with the game

> WHY WOULD YOU USE AN EASY TO USE PROGRAM FOR YOUR AMATEUR GAME WHEN YOU CAN USE THE PROGRAM I LIKE FOR MY WORK ???
Most of us here are hobbyist, that's why game maker is good enough

no it fucking doesn't, it's a trick buddy

you cannot accomplish ANYTHING with the drag and drop meme, you will have to learn GML, and now you're spending your time learning an awful meme language with no benefits and picking up horrid porgramming practices instead of spending your time productively

>$30/hr
>get rich

No. I know a bit about coding, but I don't even know how to start, except setting up my coding environment.

I don't know about that. Every time I tried Unity I dropped it after a few days.

I actually have a playable tech demo with Game Maker. And I've used none of the drag-n-drop features.

i'm very young and my job is remote so i can live anywhere in the US, i moved out to montana to live like a king where i have a 3 bedroom all to myself for $400, don't be jelly

I'm an "art guy" with no programming experience. Would Game Maker be good for making spooky adventure-style games like Yume Nikki. Ib, etc?

So it's not a game but a crappy tech demo.

Ye

this, I cant do shit with Unreal and Unity. But as soon as I got gamemaker I whipped up a nice little game in a week.

If you want to stay away from programming, no.
Otherwise, yes, you can do everything you want with GM

I'm kind of confused here, because some shitty dev that's trying to release another ultra-progressive rpg for his own friends of same think has released another RPG before that with an interesting concept, but he blamed how buggy and how horrible it was on using one of these tools.

So I don't know if this is fairly limited or another one of the multiple lies by a guy that now is using the old "mommy health issues" every dev has done before to get away with it.

Yes. I bought it yesterday and I'm just going through tutorial and I'm having fun, it's enjoyable.

I like it. I only had experience with Unity before and as far as 2D is concerned I like GameMaker better.

( here)
Also, keep in mind that Yume Nikki, Ib, Wadanohara and Mogeko Castle were done with RPG Maker.
If you want to do something really similar you should try it instead of GM.

>50's
>Black people could grow up to have powerful jobs

yikes!

Well, if you consider games like Aurora 4x and Dwarf Fortress tech demos then yes. its a tech demo. a fully playable and working tech demo.

I'd call it more like the Early access title that was abandoned.

I know that. I was interested in making a similar game to those in GM rater than RPGmaker because of the latter's limitations.

Just download and try it for yourself, what's the point in talking about it instead of just getting to it. Shit's free

same here

You cant really explain how to program a game engine, its like asking how do I program in general - it depends on exactly what you are planning to do.

You start by picking your language, then choosing your libraries (for example, will you go DirectX or OpenGL?) and then you just start programming in things as you need them.

Ok, I've remembered that this exist : marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/143/yoyo-rpg .
It was on last year's GM humble bundle, you have basically every shit done to make a basic A-RPG, maybe it's good for what you want to do

Check handmadehero serie on youtube

I've got this game I wanted to code, fairly simple graphics, a bit like nethack, a bit like neoscavenger. I just don't know all the cool tricks. I hear there is a good library for creating roguelikes and I was thinking of using that.

professional Cred Forums frog poster? We noticed.

What limitations? The lack of 3D graphics? Or are you just repeating memes now?

i'll give you the points for not making a food analogy

Some Uncanny Valley keys, if you guys are too cheap to buy the bundle for 1 cent. From making that game, I can say that Game Maker is pretty good for making stuff, but you gotta know some programming (drag and drop is shit). Programming language is very similar to C++ but it has a lot of built in functions to make things easy.

So when I decided to make semi open world 2d game with different pathways through the game, a bit more clever AI that follows you through rooms, lighting system and health system that hinders your body parts and you gotta heal them (similar to MGS3) I didn't know what I was getting into... but I figured it out. Engine didn't really block my ideas too much.

MIHR5-7A8BV-NQL35
5Y6CA-20FXJ-358JH
M4CAK-F56G9-HFWNB
C2VPM-KWWX9-D594H
3FWNJ-IJ492-0X2J9
FR8QT-TXEH6-W0CWL
F2FLA-ZFMAG-GQJFQ
5XJZ3-K4WW9-7EKKG
LMXJA-KY0FZ-YNPLC
3WWM6-M8VZE-QGAKX
A0K6W-I8YYD-FP9FX
CAXLD-FD24K-VHZB4
YE0BA-2B46F-Z5YBG

I took LMXJA-KY0FZ-YNPLC

ok, I browsed through it quickly. and I already see an issue, he already went with a genre and style for this game, so he already determined what he wants to do which will shape what he will program. and it looks like he's locking it to Windows only.

the idea with a custom engine is to tailor it to what *you* want to do. his engine will be tailored to *his* game and thats it. maybe he goes on to actually teach you programming or libraries but I'd recommend just learning them on your own from documentation and more importantly, experimentation.

There are dozens if not hundreds of libraries, and there is a shitload of debate on what library is better. personally I like SDL but I recommend you just to start looking around and see which one you like, experiment and change if you dont like it. they all revolve on the same principle - giving you predefined functions.

to be honest there is only 1 important thing to mind when picking a library - supported platforms.for example doing a DirectX game will mostly lock you to Windows.

Thank you!

What, why?

Got one, thank you. Altough I'm still on the fence for the bundle. I'd love to get GM.

Oh shit, didnt you make a Silent Hill 2 demo before doing UV?

Wow did you make that game? It's incredible, thanks for the key!

I used:
YE0BA-2B46F-Z5YBG

why is this here when /agdg/ exists?

If all threads about a topic should be redirect to their respective generals, there wouldn't be videogames threads on Cred Forums anymore.

Because /agdg/ is the worst general on /vg/.

You mean the best right ?
People are actually helpful.

I finished my first game ever thanks to GM.
It's Asteroids and it as more content than No Man Sky.

Following tutorials on GM while listening italian jazz is cozy as fuck.
I tips my fedora at you. Best 15$ ever invested since the security book bundle.

Well it was still more likely that a woman back then.

All used ;_;

If you have half a brain then yes.

/agdg/ occasionally has periods of useful conversation or shitposting depending on what day/week/month it is

Unity, Gamemaker, Unreal engine, RPG Maker, it doesn't really matter if you are not willing to put on miles and miles of grind. Making games is not a fun thing and if you take it as a hobby, give up your dreams of ever finishing anything.

Let's be honest here buddy, your custom engine is a piece of shit, and you will never finish it. If you actually had the skills to code a working and practical engine you wouldn't be a waste of space living with the hope your shitty game idea will get you out of your parents house one day.

Beep boop badoop

So it's a tech demo

I don't know about you, but I find making games fun.

Well, if he ever feels like becoming a wageslave, he can get a job showing off his game engine, which he coded for fun.

>backed by a real language (C#)
translation: I'm too dumb to be able to handle the complexity of C++

>you can do actual fucking math
I'm sure your college level algebra is some real fucking math.

Unity shitters are just unskilled.

You have to pay the subscription to remove the Unity splash screen though which is considered such a hallmark of amateurism that most players will close your game as soon as they see it.

>90% of industry games today use pre-existing engines
>Telling one guy in his basement to waste time tailoring a custom engine to each game he makes

Said the neet retard who has never done anything in his life. If you are not willing to put thousands and thousands of hours into your project, working on it every single day, your little hobby will never turn into anything.

Just because you were able to create a shitty platformed in your free time doesn't make you a game developer. Stop over glorifying the garbage you made in few hours, as a contribution to the medium.

I mostly like the feel but that is an obscene amount of jerky scrolling transitions

Mega Man always had them but broke them up with nice smooth horizontal scrolling in between. Alternate that shit, man

Anyone here implemented working delta_time? What I tried to do is set a global variable like this:

global.dt = (60/1000000)*delta_time

and multiply it when needed (timers, image speed, velocity and position changes, etc), but it's leading to inconsistencies even when running at 60 FPS. It moves a bit too fast sometimes

>alternate that shit man
I'll keep it in mind

>your custom engine is a piece of shit
no. its like a custom tailored suit.
>and you will never finish it
already did. its a small simple 2D game engine, but its mine.
>If you actually had the skills to code a working and practical engine you wouldn't be a waste of space living with the hope your shitty game idea will get you out of your parents house one day.
I'm a programmer for a living, I moved out of my parents house 6 years ago.

If you don't know how to program. Yes.

Undertale and Spelunky were made in that, and they made some serious bucks.

I would consider making your own game engine a display of programming skill. If you have your own engine, you'll know it inside out. It'll allow for more creative freedom, but if you're not so much into programming, using an existing engine saves a ton of time. I recommend unity.

You don't know what I've done in my life. If I make a game, I am a game developer. What more do you want? If I make a silly game in 5 hours and my friends enjoy it for 10 minutes, how am I not contributing? Not every game has to be AAA to be enjoyable. How are small games not contributing? Drop in the bucket, I know. But anyway.

My latest game's made in RPG maker. Took some 800 hours. Some say it's way better than the shit on steam, some don't like it that much. I give it away for free. I had fun making it. I had to restrain myself from adding shit because otherwise it wud never been ready.

youtube.com/watch?v=9hdFG2GcNuA

You mean it's because of floating point imprecision? Either that or I'm being meme'd on, I suppose it's a possibility

>ctrl-f
>monogame and XNA
>no results
You all disappoint me, a framework is the absolute best starting point for someone wanting to get into programming. the best middle ground between usability and control. and after using one you can decide if coding isn't for you (go to something easier like unity) or if you want to go all out (create your own libraries and shit).

That's a funny way to spell /gsg/.

If you were an actual programmer, you would know making some specifically for one use and "custom tailored" is retarded and means it has no other usability, which goes against every aspect and philosophy of OOP

Quit lying and get your underage ass off here.

>and they made some serious bucks.
but what if I don't care for making serious bucks and just want to make a cool game that I dream of at night

Then... make it?
Who cares how. If it's good, it's good.

You sound unaware of what a game engine is. If he made a 2D game engine, it could be used for a variety of 2D games- not just a single one.

I figured as much
sorry for the weird question

It'll help you make shit ones, since the process of creating a game with GMS is absolutely nothing like the process of making mid- or high-budget games at a company office.

It will also let you only make 2D games. Which is fine for mobile, but no one with an actual interest in video games gives a shit about mobile.

>It will also let you only make 2D games. Which is fine for mobile
nothing wrong with 2D games on any platform

>No one with an actual intrest in video games would play a 2D game.
This fuckin guy....

GameMaker Studio
is literally perfect for relatively simple 2D games like top down stuff, sidescrollers, rpgs, etc.
As long as you don't use drag & drop, it's very powerful and fast tool.
So yes it does help you make games, and on top of that it's probably the best tool there is to make 2D games in my opinion.

>If you were an actual programmer, you would know making some specifically for one use and "custom tailored" is retarded and means it has no other usability
Tailor made doesn't mean you cant use it for other things. it means you can shape it to to fit perfectly to what you need, scale it, fix it.

You cant do that in Unity. if unity doesn't support a function you cant do shit, in your own engine you can make it as you need it.

the problem with Unity is that they give you many predefined tools, and they're good but they're aimed for many purposes while creating an engine allows you to make the perfect tool for the job (again, Assuming you have the programming skill)

Pretty much.

Buddy, let me tell you something here: mobile games are a fucking cash cow like you wouldn't believe. I work for a small (and I mean real small, like there are only seven of us) studio making mobile games with GM:S and Unity. That shit is profitable in insane ways. You know those awful mobile games that ask you to pay for shit to speed up time and lock content behind "gems" and "platinum" and all that real money shit? We do that and my boss doesn't bat an eye for it. I made 73,489$ on my W2 last year from mobile shit. It's stupid dumb what mobile users are willing to buy.

Don't you find that exploitative, though?

What are video games aside from just flashing lights we look at to release dopamine?

Do you really think there is some kind of truth to be found out there?

It's just mobile games user. The more profitable ones do shady and greedy shit and the userbase just licks it all up. Any thought I had of doing the wrong thing was lost the moment I was able to get far, FAR ahead on my mortgage. I know my studio will never work on consoles or PC because it's not profitable in the shitty way we do things and I for one am super fucking glad.

how sad...

The only one sad here is you, user. That user is happy and his customers are happy. He's paid. They pay- willingly. What's the problem? I wish I had a setup like him.

it's cool and all but it's sad for people who actually want to play video games

It's not like good games are going to stop existing. I view this mobile shit as a new spin on arcades back in the day. Paying to play, you know.

It's not too difficult user. You can use GM:S and Unity yourself, just be sure to have the modules to make your porting to android and ios much easier.

Also enabling advertisements out the ass. It does nothing for you at first launch, but if you have 5,000+ downloads and uses, you'll start to see money trickle into bigger amounts.

Are ads a poor means of income?

Name an actual good game, like Hotline Miami

I can make good shit in drag and drop but GML completely baffles me, what's the deal?

For some reason the global.dt variable is not updating correctly, even though it's running at the start of every frame. Any tips for this?

Depends on the conversion rate, your eCPM, and what your active user base is. I don't handle the money, I just do art assets and programming, but I know the money doesn't just come from more downloads. You need people actively playing your shitty clash-of-clans ripoff. One of our games has an active user base of 85,000-90,000 users right now, and roughly 30% routinely buy shit. If we can make every five minutes a screen-card ad, and then present an ad-boost option to view another ad for 30 mins of extra shit, we can nearly triple are daily ad income. We average about 5,000 - 10,000$ per game daily, with 30% of that being ads.

>Programming language is very similar to C++
Really?? I really want to get into C/C++ for embedded systems and eventually make a big game, so this is GREAT new for me.

Thank you for cheering me up, uvdev!

Oh, and by the way, the minimum amount to get anything in HBundles is 0.20USD. I do it all the time when there are DRM free titles in the lowest tier and I'm only after one game.

Not him, but in a way yeah. I mean, there isn't, but it's more the idea that you can focus on designing a game to make it fun instead of using a bunch of cheap Jedi mind tricks that only work on people who don't know better and gets old after 5 minutes if they realize what's going on. It's the same principle as making a good movie versus an Epic Movie type of thing or good journalism versus Alex Jones.

Both can be profitable, it's just that making something worthwhile takes more work. However, it also actually commands respect and is more likely to get customer loyalty, even outside of not being completely parasitic to your customers.

I'm guessing he's talking about performance?
Wasn' Hotline Miami remade using another software?

Good. Fucking YES!!