Why did handhelds die...

Why did handhelds die? Do people really prefer games that put more effort into graphics/marketing/presentation than gameplay/music/content?

because handhelds are shit and only have shit games

phones

>Why did handhelds die?
everyone has a smartphone these days

Yes, do you even need to ask?

>why did handhelds die
>240p handheld is the highest selling system this gen
>240p handheld has the best library this gen
>handhelds
>dead

I just fucking hate gaming on a handheld. I keep buying them to play the few exclusives I can't get otherwise, but gaming on a tiny screen with a shitty little handheld sucks.

People are afraid to play them in public while they are not afraid to play on their phone.

So? It doesn't have any buttons or a D-pad. Can't play intense games on that.

It hurts me that Vita did so poorly. It's such a great handheld with lots of good games yet now I'm worried they'll never make a successor.

Its shit though. I'm pirating the 7 worthwhile games it has right now.

Maybe if Sony hadn't abandoned it after 2 years they could have turned it around

>No Patapon 4
>No Dissidia or Type 0
>All the semi-decent exclusives ported to the PC

If anything the Vita killed handhelds by being so bad

There weren't a bunch of great games for the Vita. You're an idiot.

>friend wants to buy a vita
>there are no resellers in town

bulk of consumers is satisfied with smartphone games unfortunately, Cred Forums autists cant keep portable consoles alive by themselves

>die

3DS is going pretty well, Vita is only bad because Sony went full retard unlike they did with the very good PSP. But if you're thinking why you don't see kids playing them in public like we did with the Gameboy when we were kid is because what appeal to kids is different that what appealed to us during the 80-90's.

Try Amazon?

If you don't like weeb games then yeah you're right. Fortunately I do.

keep telling yourself that. if I like playing games and already have a phone, why do I need a thing like that?

I want a 2DS just to play one specific game. US GAMERS

Dude. People dont care about that. Ever heard why febreeze's sales flunked during its initial release? Because stinky people dont realize their own smell to fix it. Same with mobile and handhelds. Shit man. I've had people be contented with mobile but acted like cavemen that just discovered fire when they held a Vita. They didn't know just how better it sits on the palms than buttonless cellphones. They dont know much shit about its games tho. Like infants randomly hitting buttons.

The PSP was so much better than the Vita it's not even funny. At least it had some actual games along with moe shit. Vita is basically only moe shit.

Because smartphones.
I have a galaxy S4 and it runs a large majority of PS1 games full speed. PSP games run pretty good too, usually 80% of full speed for more demanding games, but stuff like legend of heroes, key to heaven, that stuff runs full speed.

and it runs DS games.

I got a vita because it was $100 for a vita, muramasa LE, p4g, and katamari on walmart in a bundle sale a few years back, don't regret it at all. Great remote play tool for my PS4, and the library it has is actually pretty decent.

I've been waiting for the 3DS successor to come out so I can finally get one. not gonna get suckered into buying early only for it to be outdated in a few weeks. Glad I waited this far cause the n3ds scandal has just soured me on it even more, though i'm still intereted in a bunch of 3ds games.

I don't know about you, but im playing the shit out of them.

currently 10 hours in SMTIV:A
and playing Corpse Party and Valkyrie Drive next month

Well aren't you little Miss Faggot

Normies instinctively hate games. Always have, always will. Playing games take skill and dedication and normies have neither.

You know what normies like? Movies. Books. Things that require no effort. Consoles can accommodate this sick fascination while handhelds cannot. That is why they will die.

kids mostly use phones tablets for handheld gaming now

what is the current average age for handheld gamers? 14-30?

>Why did handhelds die?

They did?

3DS's library is fantastic.

I love you too, user :3

You know what it has though? High resolution screen and often nice graphics.

>normies

please shut up. you are not unique or special for shitposting on this fucking image board.

>reading takes no effort but playing video games does

lol

>>>>>>>>/leddit/

Technology is moving backwards. YouTube becomes worse every year, more services on the internet are denied every day and my FUCKING Civ FUCKING loads for FUCKING fifteen FUCKING minutes before I get to play them

I don't know why, but I always end up with the R buttons broken on nintendo handhelds. Since I had the GBA, I've been having every nintendo portable consola and sooner or later, the R button stops working for no apparent reason. I tried that blowing into the button thing, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

It's probably just me but damn, what the fuck.

>Corpse Party

Isn't the Vita the animu port machine? Or is this something new?

Want to be my sissy slave?

>Why did handhelds die?

Because they were shit. Shit screens, shit graphics, shit outdated technology, expensive games/memory cards. If you sell a dedicated device that does things your phone already does it needs to do it better than a phone. Order of magnitude better.

>B-but games are better

You know what else had better games? Arcades and yet the home consoles won. It's always about convenience and price.

no, I prefer games with better gameplay and content
thats why I usually play on PC

>Having this much of a superiority complex over nothing.

>reading takes no effort but playing video games does
>lol

He's not completely wrong, in the sense that people can passively finish a book without actually properly reading it, and then go to place like this site and brag like they did an intellectual thing. It can be a very low effort social value.

Does your gadgets often fall? All of my ninty products are in very good condition especially with the buttons. I have long fingers, but I forced myself into the habit of not resting my pointing fingers on the shoulder buttons since I've seen R buttons that are weirdly lowered.

Pirates

Your pinky is too strong. Never broken a R-button but the joystick always breaks in my hands, from the N64 to the 3DS.

Not him but it's really embarassing how some of you seem to believe 99% of humanity are mindless drones and only by watching anime and being a neet can you truly be human.

>R button
>pinky

Are you an octopus?

>Go to use some stupid fucking chat program my retarded friend uses
>can't even manually set status (i.e. busy, away, etc.)
>Options are literally just sign in and talk
are people so stupid they need to not have the option to customize settings?

What will happened to handheld games? Where can they go?

Can't go indie, they need an actual budget to work with and be able to set a proper price.

Can't go console, people will be like "lol grafics from 2008" and they can't spend 80% of development rendering Pit's wings

Can't go phone, no buttons.

>Arcades
>better games

/thread
You have to be pretty fucking retarded to not notice this.

i noticed it, i just don't like it

phones will probably be the future to all video games, and at that point i'd rather just crash the industry with no survivors, but it's too strong for that to happen again

>phones will probably be the future to all video games

When you can connect a controller/keyboard/mouse to a phone and a phone to a big screen/monitor that doesn't seem like a problem.

Nobody will pay $50 for a phone game.

>people unironically think every handheld videogame will go freemium model

Mobile shit aren't proper videogames. They are money milking simulators.

Handhelds are here to stay because

1. Nintendo's had continued success with then and they are Nintendo's highest earner
2. Japan is handheld orientated
3. AA game developers with smaller budget games need somewhere to put their game

YES mobile has definitely reduced the market quite a bit but when Nintendo can still sell 10,000,000 units EACH of Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and 3D Land, handhelds aren't going anywhere.

That won't happen, because 99.9% of phone users aren't going to get one of those. So the games have to be designed to be played on a touch screen or they'll instantly bomb.

Back when bought my 3DS I was genuinely disappointed because most games felt like what I imagined mobile games to be like

10$ Steam indie games have more depth than 40$ 3DS games

>When you can connect a controller/keyboard/mouse to a phone
Feels clunky as shit unless you buy like 20 accessories that fit each device for your specific phone.

>a phone to a big screen/monitor
Provided you have a device that supports that.

Most people don't want that either, they just want shitty games on their shitty fucking phone for $1 or "free" with monetary payments throughout.

holy fuck
I'm about to get an R4 and a secondhand DSi
forever alone Pokémon trading here I come

Its very rare to see someone playing a 3ds in public now a days compared to 2012 or 2013. It kinds sad to see the die off like that. The line up for games in 2016 is pretty shit for 3ds. Its like ninty ran out of ideas for games to make and just decided to start porting wii u games to the 3ds.

>3DS 2016 line up is shit
>Ace Attorney 6, DQVII and SMTIV Apocalypse literally all launched in the past 7 days

>Ace Attorney 6
shit

>DQVII
butchered shit made easier with shitty music

>SMTIV Apocalypse
shit megaman tinsel: persona edition

Probably because most kids will have a smartphone and do social media things, along with small phone games to help them pass the time.

I never dropped any of my consoles, and when I take them outside, they always go in their respective case, protecting the L and R buttons (I was afraid of breaking my R button since the DS)

Since I bought the DS, I am afraid breaking the R button so I always use the L and R buttons carefully. Sooner or later the button becomes somewhat unresponsive, and then completely unresponsive.

There's also Hyrule Warriors, Super Mystery Dungeon and a bunch of other great games earlier this year.

Simply epic opinions user

>AA game developers with smaller budget games need somewhere to put their game

How about Steam?

>Hyrule Warriors
shit port

>Super Mystery Dungeon
shitty roguelite

>a bunch of other great games
probably all shit

>Simply epic opinions user
shit opinions

get half the content and the game is dumbed down so a child could play it in the back of a car with constant distractions

it's just not a good environment for vidya

Steam is cancer.

SMD is directly based off Rogue.

>Rogue
shit xman

I finally got a decent smartphone and got TWEWY from the Google play store. Love the audio quality and new graphics but boy, does it play like shit.

Until phone makers make shit like Xperia Plays more regularly, handhelds aren't going anywhere, I hope.

>le everything is le shit meme XD

Please just go back

>muh 200hrs collectathon with rpg elements deep meaningful experiences xD

Not for the devs it's not. They get a bigger cut than on handhelds. The audience is bigger. Why do you think so many Japanese games are suddenly landing on Steam?

>Please just go back
oh, look, i'm right where i started

>muh 1cc shitty action and worthless fightan games

It should be required to post something you like at a 1-1 ratio for times you call things shit. I'd like to see what this guy thinks is good.

>playing anything on that tiny screen for hours on end

Maybe it's just me being cynical and old, but unless you're constantly on the move (actually traveling) there's virtually zero need for a handheld ala the 3DS. Why would you force yourself to stare at that miniature screen when you could be playing on a 24"+ sized screen?

That's retarded because all that's going to turn into is literally both sides calling everything else the other likes shit.

Then it's just more shit.

Well, Japan is keeping handhelds alive, the fucking weirdos.

>Why would you force yourself to stare at that miniature screen when you could be playing on a 24"+ sized screen?
I like playing things while also having the TV on in the background for comfort.

You forgot perhaps the most important of them all:
>no Monster Hunter

Not as much as shitting on everything while hiding your taste because of the fear of being hurt.

>Monster Hunter
good, monster hunter fucking sucks

>b-but japanese 5 year olds think it's good!
they also like shoving their fingers up other people's asses, too

>All the semi-decent exclusives ported to the PC

Such as?
The only good Vita games are still on Vita and PS4.

Normies don't care about that, have you seen the most downloaded games on google play or the android app store?

>Not as much
nigger, it's literally 2 times the shit flinging at that point.

Nah it's fine. If you're not willing to establish what you consider a standard it makes it hard to take you seriously. For all I know you don't like any videogames, or you only consider like 2 games good.

If I say batman combat is shitty, I should be willing to say that Godhand combat is good. Now you know where I think a standard of decent is.

>Vita games
>good
nice joke, user

>a game has to be on handheld to have gameplay/music/content

>If I say batman combat is shitty, I should be willing to say that Godhand combat is good.
but both of those games are shit

>getting hurt by Cred Forums's hot opinions

A sure sign you have been spending to much time here.

Actually he has a point.

>post a list of 60 games
>XD THEY ARE ALL SHIT XD

If he posted what he actually enjoyed we could maybe not instantly know he's being an obvious troll.

>angry shitposting samefagging

Pls just stop and go back.

Nigger, nothing is more pathetic and retarded than trying to sound superior by shitting on everything while being such a petty pussy.
Is it really that hard?

Nice reading comprehension.

guess you should start reconsidering the video games you play if the first sixty off the top of your head are all shit

God hand is great fuck you. Your favourite game is shit. I don't even need to know what it is, get fucked.

>Nigger, nothing is more pathetic and retarded than trying to sound superior by shitting on everything while being such a petty pussy.
i'd say getting mad enough to try and establish a dual standard for shitting on things is pretty pathetic

Insane levels of comfy.
Other people want to use the tv
Unique games designed for the system
The unique diorama 3D effect is great
Nostalgia
Your living room looks clean&adult
Cheaper then a pc or console
Local multiplayer
Etcetera...

Get out normie

joke's on you my favorite game is godhand

>why did handhelds die?
>they actually didn't and people still play a ton of 3ds

>people
i think you mean children and manbabies
which don't really qualify as people

haha, epic!

no it isn't you fucking moron
get out

Jokes on you I'm a coprophiliac so calling it shit was high praise from me.

>Still trying so fucking hard.

Jesus, you sure love being such a dense annoying idiot.
No, and I'm not even the user who asked him to show us his superior taste. That behaviour is annoying and pathetic, no matter how much you fell the need to defend it. If you want to shit on everything, at least don't be so afraid of people's reactions, it's not hard.
Are you done now?

>I only like mature games for mature gamers like myself

Am I back in 2009 or something? You're a fucking manchild for posting on a video games board in the first place, user.

oh wow haha it looks like he pulled an epic fail guy! then you were all "son i am disappoint" now he's totally owned. I give you 1000 internets for owning him so hard.

>That behaviour is annoying
wow, it's almost like you're catching on. keep going, user, you're almost there!

>You're a fucking manchild for posting on a video games board in the first place, user.
that's the joke

Phones. Handhelds aren't even pocket sized anymore and you're already gonna have your pockets filled with your wallet, house keys and phone when you leave the house anyway.

>I was only pretending to be retarded

i don't pretend, user
i am

At least you're honest about it.

>No, I'm not done, I need to bother you until I get the last word!

Oh, wow. Ok, user, let's have fun.

>you're almost there!

While you were already beyond that point after your second post. You didn't understand why that guy asked him to show us his superior taste, and I explained it to you. That's all. After that you started this game of stubbornness for no reason.
Now you don't even have a point, you are just provoking me for the sake of saving face.
Let's be honest, at least shitting on everything can give you a sense of superiority, bothering me so much me won't get you to anywhere.
You are already much more pathetic and annoying than him, congratulation.

Now, please, show me how you can keep carrying on with your dumb provocations.

tl;dr

Dunno OP, I've had 2-3 consoles each generation since the NES and I can say right here that the DS library is hard to top, I think the issue is that the 3DS is fairly underpowered and has a gimmick that doesn't work as well and almost nobody uses. It tried to become a little bit more of a normal console and that was the flaw that the PSP had. The Vita also was too focused on the japanese market and again, did this thing where instead of having dozens of exclusive games it would just have ports, remakes or enhanced versions.

Some people buy handhelds so they can enjoy the games on em, not for portability.

3DS is my favorite platform currently. I'm a wagecuck that plays at work though, not a lot of time for consoles or PC.

Well, that was easy, but thank you anyway.

you're welcome
come back anytime with your shit games

Corpse Party is anime.

phones

I own one just for the two monhun games. Any other recommendations?

yer shit bud. yer whole life and your face and your hair.

What would you do if you saw someone playing a Vita in public?

>yer shit bud. yer whole life and your face and your hair.
exactly

> Any other recommendations?
you need to tell us what shitty games you like so we can tell you other shit you will like

Laugh at their bad purchasing decision.
My friend did that once when he saw someone playing on a Vita. The guy was playing FFX Remaster.

> with your shit games

Sure, when you will show us your superior taste. Oh, wait, you can't because you are a petty pussy.

Oh, wow, it sems that I need to remind you another thing: this is an anonymous image board, people with the name "Anonymous" aren't necessarily the same person. Glad that I can help you so much.

wow, you sure are tenacious, huh?
don't you have something better be doing?
i don't.

that's cuz yer body is too shit to go do fun and cool stuff

probably

guess i'll just keep playing shitty video games

Alright, I'll bite
How the hell do you hold your DS that allows you to use your pinky on the shoulder button?

Yes
Marketing wise, the less options something has the more successful it'll be.
People are absolutely retarded and anything beyond a couple of choices confuses them and they give up.

Over the past 5 years i've generally had more fun playing mobile and handheld games than games on my PC.

Serious, non-shit response, though, telling us you only like Monster Hunter gives literally nobody else anything to go off of to help you get recommendations other than more Monster Hunter and games similar in formula to Monster Hunter. What are your tastes that would give somebody a good idea of what to recommend.

even if i call it all shit, somebody else could probably help you. or i could help you, if i could be so assed.

I like fire emblem but I heard bad things about the 3ds games. I like FF so I'm considering bravely default. I'm fairly open minded and play nearly every genre but racing and puzzle.

hang yourself, retarded cocksucking homo

They should have never existed, but I will claim they died because they think every game on a portable system needs to be exclusive. Nobody wants to buy hardware to play software, port or die

They don't prefer it, they just don't know matter. Dudebro's don't care about the stuff you mention, they want their dopamine rush quick.

One trick pony portable devices outclassed by multiple trick pony portable devices. Plus, do you really get the opportunity to play a handheld THAT often?

yeah, REAL gamers prefer a mature, acquired gaming taste, like new super mario bros 3ds or super smash bros... get your head out of your ass, mobile games are designed for "quick dopamine rushs"

>2012: Phones will totally kill handhelds guys
I'm still laughing.

I'm not big on Fire Emblem, so I can't really help you out there. A friend of mine didn't really like the games, but he's really picky about games in general.

I liked Bravely Default well enough, but it starts to drag on in the end, IMO. Most people really liked it more than I did, though, and I do think it's alright enough. If you like Final Fantasy 5, you'll probably like Bravely Default.

I'm sure you're aware of the SMT games, but 4 was pretty decent. Apparently Apocalypse which just came out is also pretty good. I haven't gotten to it yet.

i fucking forgot the game i was going to say. oh, right. Dragon Quest 7 is pretty decent, but people who aren't use to the DQ series might feel it's a bit archaic since most of the series praise is due to its consistency in gameplay and ideas, for better or worse. I'd probably say play 5 or 8 beforehand, but that's up to you.

If you like dungeon crawling, wizardry kind of stuff, the Etrian Odyssey games are all pretty good.

If you're into VN, room escape kind of stuff, VLR is pretty good, too. IIRC, the physical copy of the game has a pretty nasty save bug that was fixed in the eshop release, so you might want to google that first.

if you like pogeymanz, that's an obvious answer. i thought x and y were pretty underwhelming, though, and i never played the gen 3 remakes. a lot of people didn't really like them, though.

If you like ALttP, A Link Between Worlds was pretty solid, even if it's pretty much ALttP 1.5.

If you can't emulate it or don't have a Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles is alright. It's neat they managed to get the game on a 3DS, but the resolution makes everything hard too see. Definitely feels like a game that's a port from another system.

Super Mario 3D Land was fun enough, I guess. Most people seem to say the Wii U game was better, though.

Kid Icarus Uprising is a pretty solid game.

my memory is dying. give me a minute and i might have more games.

Normies and their big screen TVs. I thought that meme died in the 90's.

I am. If my Vita ran Android and answered calls/texts, I'd be bringing that around.

I've played a few DQ games and they don't really do it for me. I can tell they're good but they're just not for me.

EO looks ok but I would emulate the older ones before playing the newer ones.

SMT is good for sure, my friend bought 4 and hated it so I should borrow it from him thanks for the reminder.

Not really into VNs. Haven't had any desire to play pokemon since gold/silver.

I'm a little over zelda, alttp was godlike though.

Emulating it on dolphin

Not a fan of straight platformers. I prefer stuff like castlevania or metroid. I need more than just jumping.

I'll look into kid icarus.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

>I like fire emblem but I heard bad things about the 3ds games

FF:Fates Conquest is actually possible one of the best Fire Emblem games when it comes to gameplay, because it balances a lot of shit, enemy AI is actually competent, you have limited resource just like in the old Fire Emblem games (meaning you can't grind like in Awakening) and the maps are designed to encourage actual strategy, even if you're playing casually. Fucking love the new weapon triangle.

The story is utter trash though, but it does make for a great comedy.

Awakening, while really easy, is pretty fun because of its sandbox nature. Birthright is boring because it tries to put the same sandbox nature into the game but its just out of place and it just unbalances everything, and revelations is utter trash because its more annoying than actually difficult.

no problem. i'm trying to think of more general recommendations, but i don't have my 3ds on me.

there was some final fantasy game that was kind of mh like, but i can't remember the name. you're probably better off just sticking with monster hunter, though.

if you like wasting your fucking time, animal crossing is always a good way to do that.

if you find you like eo, give persona q a shot. it's persona done by the eo guys

i'm sure somebody else will have more recommendations.

also, if you can, try to cfw your system, if only to give yourself the option to try before buying. if you're on a n3ds, you can also force n3ds clock speeds in all games, giving performance increases.

I see. Maybe I'll just pick all of them up. I've played nearly then entire rest of the series, so I should do it just for completion.

At the risk of sounding like a baby I saw how broken pair up was in awakening and just dismissed the game entirely.

I've considerd the cfw thing, looks like a pain for how little I'll probably use it. I'll think about it though.

Agreed and endorsed.

Normies need not apply to Gaming Masterrace.

The pair up system in Awakening is disgustingly broken (but then again, a lot of things are in Awakening because of its sanbox nature), but Fates completely balances that system out, which is funny because the final boss in Conquest uses the Awakening's pair up system as a skill. It's like they knew they fucked up in Awakening.

if handhelds are dying then so must the entire gaming industry seeing as 3DS is the best selling system this generation and has by far the best library

and phones are total shit for playing anything other than simple match 3 puzzles, I stopped playing MonHun Portable and Pokemon Go when I realized they kill the battery way too quickly and I'd rather spend that time to browse the net instead