Is this the most overrated RPG?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/eZ4pnhq.jpg
i.imgur.com/TRTXMFv.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

bump

NOT IN THE MOOD FOR CHEESE?

nah, that would go to a shit RPG heralded by nostalgiafags. IE chrono trigger, earthbound, or FFVII

It is the only RPG where I genuinely had fun exploring the wild, looking for better equipment, solving puzzles etc. It is really well done and you will have a good time if you aren't looking for a grimdark story.

The story and characters were ass no matter how you look at it. And humor was fucking horrible.

I was so sad playing through the enhanced edition. No more based cheeseman

Really damn solid combat mechanics, writing is shit though.

That title can only belong to a game that is actually wildly praised.

HAHA talking skeletons LMAO!
HIHI not in the mood for cheese ROTFL!
HEHE funny talking animals LOL!
I hate larian games so fucking much

No? The game gets deserved high praise for its combat and co-op mode and that's it.

The only people who get irrationally angry at D:OS are the BUT MUH WRITING fags that can't accept fucking no one is actually seriously defending the story and just want to wail on shit.

No

Baldur's gate is the most overrated RPG. it was the most boring story and half the time i couldn't give a fuck as to why I was force to go somewhere.
Need to play 2 and see if it's better.

That's not the Witcher or BG2

>The only people who get irrationally angry at D:OS are the BUT MUH WRITING
so this is not even a rpg right? just a console co-op game for weed smoking dudebros right?

maybe its for people who like puzzle solving and dungeon crawls and some decent tactical combat with a friend.

I have apparently 3 hours in it. Half an hour of combat tutorial and two and a half hours of wading through exposition that didn't interest me.

2 has a much better main story providing you import your save from 1.

I don't know. There's some monumentally over rated RPGs. Baldur's Gate II is probably the worst offender. It was a fine sequel, but people give it way too much credit. It's a solid 8, but it's not GOTYAY or anything.

There's a lot of older games like that. People look back on those titles with the fondness of nostalgia for being younger and less jaded when they played them. Breath of Fire 3 was like that for me. I'd always felt that it was an amazing game and I went back last year and re-played it; it was OK. Not how I remembered it.

aka a fucking braindead idiots right?
maybe you guys should play skyrim or fallout 4 next
or borderlands, fun loot and funny jokes just like divinity

>there can't be RPG elements in combat
>there can't be RPG elements in character creation

Even then a story being bad doesn't make the story "not RPG" you dunce.

Except you still build a character and you still have choices and you can solve quests in multiple ways.

There is even an argument system in place for when you and your friend disagree with something. Yes the overall story is bad but it's still very much a roleplaying game.

it's not a rpg tho
just a console coop game

so it's a turn based hack'n'slash
got it

I wish to christ this game didn't have so much writing.

Bad writing is one thing, but the sheer fucking quantity of it is just mind numbing.....It just goes on and on and on and on and I seriously dread every fucking time I have to talk to an NPC.

Nice hot opinions there friend

>Really damn solid combat mechanics
>turn based
lmao

i'm almost 30 years old and i never liked this turn based shit. it's a horrible mechanic that should have stayed and died in the 90s where it belonged

facts

BG2 has a worse story, it just feels more involving and "epic" for the player. BG1 is about uncovering a conspiracy, while BG2 is a pretty straightforward "find bad guy and kill him".

That isn't true? That's the only version I played and he's still in Cyseal market.

Sounds like your describing every Obsidian game ever made.

>real time action fags

I really liked the starting from dirt aspect of BG1, didn't like the conspiracy and Baal shit.
I really liked hunting down Irenicus in 2, though, throne of baal was ehhh, Irenicus was pretty generic but Sarevok even more so.
Did you play Icewind Dale? If yes what did you think of the story?

That's not either of the Baldur's Gate games.
>It's an rpg!
>Where you can't actually make any decisions
>And none of your stats mean anything outside of combat
>Which is the only way to solve your problems
>So it's an action game
>With kinda shitty combat
Say what you will, but D:OS at least allows you to play it like an RPG.

>eceleb fag
>likes turn based shit

>search for good loot
>crafted shit is better than boss drops

No The Witcher is

Not in the same universe where pic related exists.

At least D:OS has actual combat and doesn't try hard to be a book instead of a good RPG.

>you can't make a comedy RPG, all RPGs must be grim setting with a looming danger, and must take itself seriously in all manners, with maybe 1 (ONE) line that make you smirk in the entire game
You must be a fun person

That would be Skyrim

In order to be an overrated RPG it has to be a RPG first.

What, really? The first time I'd play a game that does it properly

why do all shitty larian games are 100% lolsorandum tho? Is swen alergic to provoking mature story?

Never played IWD, sorry.

At their core Sarevok and Irenicus are both about equally generic, that's true. However the main difference is that Sarevok is keeping his generic goal of becoming a murdergod mostly to himself, and keeps just about every other player in the dark. For almost everyone but Sarevok the conspiracy of BG1 was about starting a war and getting ungodly rich, which is something that's completely unrelated to the CHARNAME. Hell, Sarevok's plan is completely unrelated to the CHARNAME, he just simply wants you out of the way.

Meanwhile in BG2 you know you are a murdergod spawn, Irenicus knows you are a murdergod spawn, and Irenicus and his plan of taking your murdergod spawn soul to become a tree god is pretty much the only thing going on in the game. CHARNAME is the center of everything.

I already posted this yesterday, but is this really what you want? At least comedy they are somewhat decent at.

>you can't make a comedy RPG
You can, but it's objectively harder than writing a good grimdark RPG. A good example of a well written comedy RPG is south park, D: OS is just poorly written in general. The """"""humor"""""" is fucking bland as fuck and the retarded """"""writers"""""" tried to mask their incompetence by being over-verbose, which makes any interaction with NPCs a dull as fuck experience.

>Did you play Icewind Dale? If yes what did you think of the story?
Not him, but what "story" are we talking about here? IWD is literally Kill Shit, Get Loot: The Game and there's nothing wrong with that. What makes IWD good is the fact that it embraces its h&s nature and doesn't pretend to be a RPG, unlike D:OS.

>comedy they are somewhat decent at.
that's where you're wrong

Humor is subjective from people to people.

console coop isn't a genre

nice opinion

This is so cute

Most overrated I don't know but the story sure was boring and lol so random. Couldn't enjoy the gameplay which is great.

Maybe it's just me then, but I'd take the scroll of chicken summoning and MAXOS! over the travesty I posted any day.

MAXOS

brain dead idiots like dungeon crawling. Sorry guess I'll go play my brain dead cod games like Ultima Underworld and Dungeon Master some more.

for the love of god who never existed THIS!
real rpg game can't be just about shitty combat like dos is
where's the interesting story? where are the choices? what about interesting companions? what about interesting lore?
divinity it not a real rpg, just silly mobs killing simulator with shitty art direction and terrible circus music

His voice lines were changed to less iconic

>Ultima Underworld and Dungeon Master some more.
try diablo 3 or titan quest if you all about killing stuff kid

What lines were cut? Because he still said "NOT IN THE MOOD FOR CHEESE?" word for word.

Man I would kill for a good Discworld crpg. Shame no one would do it justice.

Your opinion is overrated, shut the hell up.

The game is fine, almost perfect, does everything the old RPGs do and don't over complicate. Also the graphics are nice and comfy, not much demanding.

Now you're just projecting. I said one of the strongest points in DO sin was fun puzzle solving. Interacting with the environment and quests like solving the murder. That's way WAy closer to ultima and dungeon master. Wonder why. Wonder if the Devs themselves stated that Ultima 7 was a HUGE influence. Guess that's why it has so many similar elements. Hey is ultima 7 a shit non-rpg because it also had bad writing and boring companions? Have you ever even played ultima 7?

Dude are you the fucking shitposter who spams copy/pasted garbage every thread? Your writing style reeks of the same retardation.

This was pretty much how I felt as well. The gameplay was really great but I never wanted to immerse myself in the goofy world. It just never took itself seriously. Some people enjoyed this aspect but for me personally it's why I dropped the game after the first act or whatever

Fucking disturbing sons of bitches those two were.

>It's an RPG
>You're the chosen one
Zzzzzz
Can anyone rec some RPG's that DON'T do this?

There will be no reason to play Divinity Original Sin 1 when 2 gets more content in a month or two. It's already superior both in mechanics and in the way the story is presented.

c'mon son, ultima games are bare bones and you know it
they're only redeemable because they're old
try something like motb or kotor 2 and get some real taste
but judging from your preferences i bet you also love blobbers
I also bet you treat torment as a visual novel

>to me, story and writting is the most important thing in a videogame
>muh grimdark fantasy RPG
>oh my god talking animals with quirky dialouge so childish ugghh
>oh mylady divinity original sin is a far lesser RPG than Pillars of Eternity, which truly is a masterpiece and so well written
>*wipes cheeto dust*
>I'm a serious human been

No I'm not.

>playing a 40 hour cartoon rpg

Jesus christ your edgelord is showing. Not all rpgs have to be story driven mature experiences. I love both those games, I love Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Fallout 1&2, Arcanum. All I did growing up was play CRPGs. But now I can see why you hate this game you wanted it to be something its not and hated it for it. Maybe diversify your taste instead of screaming at everything that isn't the same formula you've played 10 times before but with a new deep mature story line.

your god is not real, nothing really matters
now go play your mario games and larian garbage

>those delusional shitters that legitimately believed this surpassed classic CRPGs

From a gameplay standpoint yes it did.

From a story standpoint, eh.

the lifeless and scarce companions is what really dragged this one down for me

>Jesus christ your edgelord is showing.
sophistication
>Not all rpgs have to be story driven mature experiences.
they should be
>I love both those games
so you're only half subhuman, amazing
>I love Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Fallout 1&2, Arcanum.
good
>But now I can see why you hate this game you wanted it to be something its not and hated it for it.
All i want is to stop larian from calling their games rpg because they're not
what's next? jagged alliance?

>From a gameplay standpoint yes it did.
how the fuck is this better than bg2 or fallout 2 gameplay wise

>decent game comes, not great but alright
>gets lots of praise for being a kickstarter game that isn't trash
>most praise comes from faggots shilling kickstarter pledges
>Cred Forums gets angry because a game is rated highly

For actually letting me interact with the environment beyond pulling levers and talking to NPCs. Also the spell system goes above and beyond the majority of magic systems in other CRPGs.

It's better than BG2 because it's not real time with pause.

Its cute that they are holding hands

The lizard girls in DOS2 are cute!

Cute!

>Also the spell system goes above and beyond the majority of magic systems in other CRPGs.
>small/medium/big elemental aoe
>goes above and beyond the majority of magic systems
YOU FUCKING TASTELESS SCUM!
kill yourself

>A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

You faggots need to stop confusing "RPG" with "Good RPG".

Divinity literally gives you character creation, character development, structured decision making and a coherent role in the narrative.

It IS an RPG you edgy cunt. Doesn't mean it's a good one, but that doesn't mean you can pull your no true scotsman bullshit on any game you don't like.

Who hurt you?

How many RPGs let me do the following

>Summon a creature
>Set it on fire
>Teleport it into the crowd of enemies
>Fire a poison dart/spell at the summoned creature to detonate it and kill/heavily wound said enemies

Basically fucking none because they don't let you target friendlies with lethal spells, let alone have interactive effects between fire/frost/poison/etc.

Real time with Pause is the laziest way to solve the problem that is making Turn Based Combat feel fun and not long.

Copying D&D rules and then not making turn-based just show that they did not knew how to make such a thing. And it shows more on Neverwinter Nights than Baldur's Gate, but it is the same thing.

>wiki shit
imbecile without real arguments
>It IS an RPG you edgy cunt.
it's not
more like a pseudo strategy game for console players with not funny jokes on top

some jrpg shit maybe? I don't know i don't play shit games

lol did you even play it

JRPGs aren't RPGs, they're linear story based games with a loot system.

Regardless, you are 100% the same faggot shitposter from the previous thread. Your writing style is obvious as fuck. You even talked about BG2 again.

>Real time with Pause is the laziest way to solve the problem
wrong, rtwp is the most challenging way to do things
that's why bg2 is so great
turn based is just lazy shit for devs who cannot do a proper rtwp

Hardly. It did exactly what it was advertised to do. Good turn-based combat. Mediocre at best story. Fans of the game even say the story is the weak point, but the gameplay makes up for it.

go ahead, dig yourself deeper on this retarded 'it's not an rpg' argument

also, calling people 'imbecile' on the internet makes you sound like a 15-year-old trying to prove he's smart

>JRPGs aren't RPGs,
same goes for divinity games

Skyrim is

I see what I am dealing with now. That's fine buddy. You are probably right.

the witcher 3

I replay Breath of Fire 3 yearly and it's still the best damn game ever made. Hell, it's the only video game I can motivate myself to sit through at my age. After my wife and kids, my hobbies, my social life and my job it takes a masterpiece to grab my attention and BoF3 is it.

Pretentiouscrap: Borement is.

But thats not Skyrim

They're both shit. Don't touch anything made on Infinity engine because it's all trash.

frustrated
defeated, flawless victory

Why i'm so great, it's almost not fair for larian posters

>denying any independent authority on the definition for an RPG so that you can move the goalposts whenever you want

Go on then, state a better authority for what an RPG is.
I think you'll find that almost all sources would put Divinity as an RPG and the ones that don't wouldn't have any video games as RPGs

Kill yourself storyfaggot.

That's not Dark Souls.

not to mention that the main plot is absurdly short if you cut out all the option side quests (which are really big quests, but theres no need to do them at all).

No, game is awesome.

Overrated rpgs? All persona shit games, now thats overpraising something that sucks.

wrong

No, that's Final Fantasy VI.

>Continues to shitpost even when he's been caught

End yourself

>Go on then, state a better authority for what an RPG is.
real rpg require:
top tier writing
mature story
interesting lore
memorable companions
decisions and consequences
isometric or semi isometric view
pre-rendered backgrounds
serious music
hardcore combat
world map
the freedom of go whatever you want to go
absolute minimum jokes, fourth wall breaking is unacceptable

everything else is just pure subhuman trash

just voicing my opinions just like you do
stop shitposting?

No.

It's actually that good.

You literally do this in every Divinity thread, you post absolutely inane garbage and then tell people "their anger changes nothing."

You have the saddest fucking life. Every time I get back from work you're here and have been here for hours. Go do something better with your time.

Sure thing, kiddo.

Be sure to play the game, though.

No use shitposting about something you can't afford!

So no game ever realeased?

Is this the secret power of autism?

>It gets better in game 2

Second time I heard that one (First being SMT:DDS)

No, that would be the witcher 3

>storyfaggots, everybody

You can't have good mechanics and freedom if you want to have good story and writing.

Mechanics and freedom will break the pace of even the best written scenario, this is something Chris Avellone said like 10435417 times in numerous interviews. The difference between him and most other hacks in this biz is that he realises(on the theoretical level, it's never seen in games he helped to make) that scenario should be barebones to allow freedom and mechanics to flesh out the story itself rather than lead the player by hand to keep the coherency of writing.

>You literally do this in every Divinity thread
not quite true, I'm not the only one who dislike larian games
don't be silly
>"their anger changes nothing."
I'm not that guy, I know what you're talking about
he complained about the lack of tutorials or something? fuck this cunt
>You have the saddest fucking life.
correct. I will kill myself at some point but not yet

It's also true of Thief 2 if you don't care too much for the less thief-y maps.

>You can't have good mechanics and freedom if you want to have good story and writing.
>bg2, motb, kotor 2, poe, f1&f2
yes you can

>bg2 motb, kotor 2, poe
>good mechanics and freedom
>f1&f2
>good mechanics

Shit bait.

None of those games have good mechanics.

One thing I never understood about this series is why people call Divine Divinity aRPG
It feels nothing like a Diablo clone

what's so bad about fallout 1 mechanics?
yes they're easy to exploit if you know what to do but who cares?

Because retarded people exist.

>I don't like it therefor it's shit

Age does not automatically provide wisdom, that much is apparent.

Guys stop falling for this bait. His fucking picture is Chris Avellone with the filename "chim" which was morrowind written by Michael Kirkbride. He's just baiting the fuck out of you.

why not play this instead of larian turd? too hard for ya?

It's shallow crit mess.

It's the most basic, straightforward RPG system ever with the most basic, straightforward mechanics on top of it. You literally have less options than in some RT blobbers.

but it's immersive

Shit balance on every level, combat isn't even remotely fun despite having games like X-COM and Jagged Alliance to learn from, and several skills, perks, and gifts are totally fucking worthless for no reason.

why did nobody tell us that this guy had been made the official arbiter of 'real rpgs'? shit, we could've saved a lot of time in this thread if we had known that THIS was the guy who sets the bar.

No. Fuck off with your buzzwords.

good job user.

I love it but it can be weird at times, especially in your first playthrough
>finish a quest too early in the first city which whisks you away to the second city immediately
>get a blurb about some conflict you haven't even heard of finishing in some way
>get another blurb about what is happening in the second city with more factions you have never heard of
Also, game keeps harping on about how hard combat is, but with a complete combat focus you can easily destroy 30 opponents at once

are you mad?
>Shit balance on every level
than why you retards hate pillars so fucking much? it's much better than kiddynity

Pillars is plain boring, sorry. The hippie camp in 3rd act will kill every fucking body with boredom, Divinity:OS has boring moments but none of them is as fucking boring as this piece of garbage.

Stop posting nazi frog.

You dare to criticize aod while playing larian games at the same time
What is free choice compared to life?

>Pillars is plain boring, sorry.
oh so ballance is bad when it comes to poe and the lack of ballance in fallout is also bad
but the imbalanced op cheesy as fuck divinity gameplay is just perfect and fun, got ya

I just wanted to make a serious post about the game, sorry
Also, I'm still mad how much preparation you need to kill the last guy in the arena, he has great dodge, great armor, great attack, and a bunch of poisons and shit
I don't think the player could ever get that many skillpoints

I can't believe I'm going to waste time replying to this.

>top tier writing
Completely subjective and isn't a measure of genre, only quality of the individual game
>mature story
Subjective again, if you took an RPG and then replaced every death with "and then they went to live on a farm" it would still be an RPG despite not being mature
>interesting lore
Again this is a measure of any GOOD game, not a measure of genre
>memorable companions
So all RPGs must have companions? Also memorable characters is a measure of a GOOD game, not of genre
>decisions and consequences
Finally, a correct answer. Let's have a look at the first 5 minutes of D:OS where you encounter some drunk guards. If you decide to go with them to the wizard then they help you out in the next fight. If you decide not to then they attack you. Decision=>Consequence.
>isometric or semi isometric view
>pre-rendered backgrounds
Graphical elements can be a preference, but last I checked text and tabletop RPGs still exist
>serious music
tabletop RPGs don't even have music
>hardcore combat
If by hardcore you mean party permadeath then fair enough, that makes sense to me. It's also a setting that D:OS has.
>world map
Take any RPG. Remove the map screen. Is it now not an RPG?
>the freedom of go whatever you want to go
Special needs sentence. To be fair I think this is necessary of a truly immersive RPG, and there doesn't exist a single video game that allows this. Only tabletop RPGs.
>absolute minimum jokes, fourth wall breaking is unacceptable
minimum jokes = no fun allowed?
Maybe jokes and fourth wall breaking will ruin immersion, but if you took a good RPG and changed it so that every five minutes it shouts "YOU ARE ONLY PLAYING A GAME THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE" would it not still be an RPG?

Seriously, you can't just define a genre as "it's really good". That's not how genres work.

>inb4 tabletop RPGs aren't real RPGs despite being the first to be called that

Does that game have magic? Just asking because I'm interested in the spin-off but a dungeon crawler without casters is kind of boring.

How to remove source collar?

>It's an Americans come out in force to shill against Divinity because they only like toilet humour, "dude weed" humour and think Pillars of Eternity was a good game thread.

This, for some reason turn-based games just bore the shit out of me. I can handle XCOM, Worms, Civ 4/5, Disgaea, Fire Emblem, Avernum and even the OP pic, but I can't stand the pokemon type of turned based. Shit like Persona, FFX and a lot of other JRPGs, it just gets old really really quick and JRPGs are usually 30+ hours long, I can't handle it unless the story is top notch.

I'm more into action platformers, fighters and bullet-hell games anyway, maybe I just don't like JRPGs as a genre. I just started RE4 and I'm loving it, so maybe I'm into whatever genre that is too, third person action shooter? That sounds too Gears of War-like for me and I don't really like that game. I'd add survival, but isn't every game where you can die a survival game? Whatever.

Barely, explaining it is kind of spoilery
It's a post-apocalyptic world and researching the technology and magic that fucked up the world is basically an entire story branch

>and then they went to live on a farm
On a side note, "and they went to live on a farm" is pretty much the pinnacle of maturity in high literature. Quite ironic.

Balance has nothing to do with boring encyclopedia NPC's spewing tons of filler garbage loredumb for days to no end.

The problem in Pillars' combat lies in the fact that kitting of any kind requires tons of micromanagement which means that 99,99999% of players will opt for 1-2 tanks + ranged DPS group, maybe with one priest for buffs and shit. And no wonder - playing the game in any other way is simply counter-effective. If it wasn't balanced the problem would be still there, as it is it's still there.

>Combat
4/10
It works but it's mind numbingly simple and you'll find yourself bouncing back and forth between a couple nuking spells. Enemy AI doesn't initiate combat when hit by a non-damaging spell, and generally do not know how to deal with the much of the AoE and environmental effects, and thus are usually lumped in large groups to compensate. The biggest appeal is that the game lets you move and carry objects like barrels
>Exploration
4/10
Allows you a good amount of freedom, but most of the enemy encounters aren't connected to the plot and you'll be mostly killing hordes of the same mobs over and over again, while NPC encounters are mostly absent outside of the meager amount of villages
>Aesthetic
9/10
Generally pretty crisp and clean while offering a good variety of settings
>Music
6/10
Fitting albeit somewhat generic and redundant
>Voice acting
5/10
None of it stands out which isn't necessarily a bad thing, save for a couple of the vendors who get irritating fast
>Plot
1/10
Paced pretty bad, extremely underwhelming, doesn't feel connected to most of the game. There are plenty of pieces of lore you can read if you're wish, but most of them are not related to anything that would be of any interest to the player
>Role Playing
2/10
It has a RPS mini game if you're co-oping, the game has a pretty clear cut optimal solution for every quest though. You characters' mannerisms will determine what bonus stats you receive, so this will likely dictate what you will want to say in conversation.
>Character development
1/10
Party members exist more or less to be your party member and scarcely is anything in their back story relevant, other NPCs are forgotten as soon as if not before you finish their quest

wow this thread is cancer

if anything Divinity is the most underrated RPG of late.
Witcher 3 is overrated and not even an RPG and fucking sucks

yes you rustled my jimmies

>The foreigner who can't stop obsessing over Americans in all situations
This is a serious problem, I hope you realize. What do Americans have to do with anything going on here and why do you assume all the underage haters are American? The old style WRPGS came from America. They are an American genre, regardless of who Larian is.

Bump. Just how to remove that shit? I can not equip a good necklace.

>Role Playing
2/10

Sure, kiddo.

RPG-Aspect of Divinity: Original Sin was the good part about it.
Shitty part is the loot.

Game is still 8/10

Yeah, exactly. Americans are shilling PoE and will shill Numeria, even though one is trash and the other looks like it's going to be trash. The anger conveyed by your post indicates, to me, that I am right in my assumption that Americans are the group primarily responsible for attacking Divinity.

Shame. So the entire game will be a bunch of prisoners shivving each other in the ass. Ah well, I'll still buy it. I have a thing for penal mining colonies.

I JUST WANTED SOMEONE TO CO OP IT WITH ME BUT NONE OF MY FRIENDS LIKE TURN BASED RPGs.

>Completely subjective and isn't a measure of genre, only quality of the individual game
good writing is required forany game with a story let alone rpg games, fact
>Subjective again, if you took an RPG and then replaced every death with "and then they went to live on a farm" it would still be an RPG despite not being mature
there are no real rpg games without mature themes, otherwise it would be just another family nintendo experience
>Again this is a measure of any GOOD game, not a measure of genre
all classic crpg games are filled with godtier lore, your point?
>So all RPGs must have companions? Also memorable characters is a measure of a GOOD game, not of genre
memorable npcs, better? i'm still correct
>Finally, a correct answer. Let's have a look at the first 5 minutes of D:OS where you encounter some drunk guards.
who cares when none of this is not even slightly serious?
>Graphical elements can be a preference, but last I checked text and tabletop RPGs still exist
>tabletop RPGs don't even have music
this is not /tg/ and we're not talking about pen&paper
>It's also a setting that D:OS has.
>world map
dos combat is easy as fuck even on tactician, like i said before, shitty game made for consoles in mind
>Take any RPG. Remove the map screen. Is it now not an RPG?
yep
>To be fair I think this is necessary of a truly immersive RPG
dos does not have that
>minimum jokes = no fun allowed?
more like no cringe allowed, dos jokes are cringy

3/10 because you tried

Even if you love mages (I do too), you'll still want to make a full combat character first who only cares about the silly political struggles of small men trying to reforge the glory of the empire, to get a feel for the game

We all know Americans are unsophisticated rednecks who can't appreciate humor unless it involves farting, but not liking Original Sin redefines the boundaries of how bad humor can be.

too casual for potd? got ya

Americans adore the divinity series. What the hell are you talking about? Have you not seen the dev interviews on Reddit or Kirils stream just before the launch of the origin D:OS? It was the "big bad Americans" who carried them and funded their damn projects. It's solely underage foreign posters who only like easy mode games like skyrim that are hating on it, as if the poor English wasn't clue enough towards that. Piss off.

I liked Divinity II and OS was a real treat. It off and on in terms of quality, but overall it was good, I certainly had a blast. Co-op was nice too.

The Witcher 3 had it's issues, but as an adventure game it was fun. I feel like Witcher is better if you've read the books and played the other games. Maybe it's just me, but it gave me a massive Gothic II vibe, not in terms of RPG mechanics, but other gameplay mechanics.

>Americans adore the divinity series
stupid adore stupid
WOW

real talk, how popular is Divinity? it was fine up to 2 but I'm worried about them having to cater to the retarded masses sometime in the future

>Reddit
it' time for you to go back

People of every nation enjoy American games, only Yuros get butthurt at the notion that someone didn't like Gothic or Divinity. Yuros will every stoop to defending Divinity II which is really quite embarrassing

>it was fine up to 2 but I'm worried about them having to cater to the retarded masses sometime in the future
they already did a console version of dos you know
unlike poe by based obsidian

The lines are the same, the voice actor was changed.

Wait, what? I don't think this game will have much politics, it's a dungeon crawler after all. Of course I'll make a combat oriented character, albeit I doubt anyone in a prison cares much about the glory of the empire.

that doesn't make the game any worse though
I'm talking of shit like CDProjekt having to put in a pointless huge empty world because that's the only way to appeal to Skyrimfags
no one has ever disliked Gothic 2

>Divinity II which is really quite embarrassing
I never saw anyone defending divinity II
fuck off to Cred Forums if you want to jerk off to your random birthplace

>playing early access sjw games

END YOURSELF

Did you link the wrong post and we've been talking about different games the entire time? I was talking about Age of Decadence

Nice rebuttal. I did not expect any better from you.

>I'm talking of shit like CDProjekt having to put in a pointless huge empty world because that's the only way to appeal to Skyrimfags
that's a real shame
fucking dump american masses

How to detect the 00er

And I was talking about Dungeon Rats, the Age of Decadence dungeon crawler spin-off Vault Dweller announced just two days ago. I was asking about AoD's magic because DR is in the same universe and uses the same build and combat system.

are we cautiously optimistic or what

Divinity would be so much better if we could build the whole party from the start

Oh ok, I don't know anything about that game
You should still play AoD though!

>cautiously optimistic
Yeah, sure. I guess. Still no release date?

I am, but it looks like I won't be able to be any kind of bard in it.

All I want is to sing about our gracious overlord and enforce His will.

There are people in this very thread claiming to like Divinity II

>fuck off to Cred Forums if you want to jerk off to your random birthplace
I can say with full confidence that no one has ever defended an American game simply because it was developed in America, and when people dislike American games no one accuses them of having European bias. Can the same be said about European games?

>I won't be able to be any kind of bard in it.
are you homosexual user?

>Can the same be said about European games?
can you please stop? homm3 is an american game and yet it was most popular in europe, still is

Eh, maybe. AoD isn't really my kind of game, story and cnc to me was always secondary to character building and combat. And from what I've heard AoD has a good combat system, but only sporadic encounters, and even those restricted only to one or two specidic builds.

new poster actually m8. am a fan of your bait tho, the old "only very good [thing] counts as real [thing]" argument is a classic

Oh okay then it is not for you, it's definitely more like a CYOA

glad you enjoyed it

>Not wanting to be a bard.

I forgot to add
FUCK RPG CODEX!

>And from what I've heard AoD has a good combat system

You were lied to

>bards are so not cool that they need a cool bug and a eyepatch to make them look cool
damn

The worm is nice, but that doesn't make the chink next to it any less of a faggot. You might as well make a summoner.

Arcanum is the most overrated RPG of all time

its pretty good
nobody seems to mention the incredibly amount and frequency of bugs though

kys scalefag

This game is really fucking long and not in a good kind of way. I'm 50 hours in on tactician difficulty and I don't think I've even finished half of the game content. The combat is good, but apart from it there's really nothing interesting to do in the game. The narrative is simplistic and extremely bland and I haven't encountered even a single memorable character so far (I've finished Hiberheim and found the white slut).

>fallout 2 gameplay
>click Bozar
>click enemy
>watch the same gory animation for 22325th time
>win

There's RPGs way more overrated, like:

Dragon Age
Mass Effect Series
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate
Fallout Series
TES Series

Divinity OS has flaws, but it was a very consistent and fulfilling experience IMO. It MUST be played with at least 1 other person.

Planescape: Torment is more overrated than all of them

A little, but I really love that game so I didn't list it.

>there are people on Cred Forums this desperate to be contrarian that they post up a shitstorm a year later

>It MUST be played with at least 1 other person.
>im the world's most autistic completionist
>no person on earth wants to spend 150 hours completing the main quest with me

>NWN2
>overrated
Literally everyone agrees it's mediocre at best. It's the addon - Mask of the Betrayer, that is truly amazing, not the original campaign.

I fell in love with this game so much that I hate it when people criticize it. Trying to argue why you guys should like the game is a waste of time. If you did not like it that is fine. But it was an amazing experience for myself. The best traditional cRPG game I've played.

I liked it a whole lot as well. Don't mind fags here - they enjoy sucking dick.

>The only "RPG game" I've played.
Fixed that for you.

>TFW WILL NEVER HAVE A QT LIZARD GF

Shouldn't you be going on a rant about how its not even a RPG in the first place?

>traditional cRPG game
>turn-based

The entire trick is - and it's important!

Never reply to shit-eaters like . Instead, find other people in the thread who liked it and chat with them!

Is this good? Might pick up on sale

The first hour can be a serious barrier for entry. Divinity Original Sin is genuinely one of those games with a beginning so fucking bad it can stop you seeing the rest of the game when it gets way better.

That looks like utter dogshit. I understand they've tried going for the qt3.14 Kaminoan ayylmao look, but they've completely fucked up with that scale placement and that jew nose, it makes her look disgusting.

it doesn't help that user is using the second worst head design.

That's why I've used the quotation marks, dumdum.

>muh hugbox

It looks nothing like a Kaminoan, are you high?

It does, you're just blind. The neck and eyes alone are enough to suggest her design was heavily influenced by the Kaminoan design.

Also the end is like that. And the parts in the middle. It's a game with beginning, middle, and end so bad it can stop you from seeing how great it actually is

>Everything tall and lanky must be trying to resemble this really fucking specific alien from a shitty movie

Get out of here you deluded fucking waifufag.

No.

>Is this the most overrated RPG?
No. It is pretty underrated actually.

yes, it does. You know why, because the design of that waifu from that "shitty movie" came first and everything that looks similar will be automatically compared to it by anyone with more than 2 brain cells.

>because the design of that waifu from that "shitty movie" came first

You hear that guys? Episode 2 apparently invented long necked lanky creatures.

fukken
lmao

>fast attack
>strong attack
>dodge

Wew, so many options. Okay, how does dodge work?

i liked walking around cyseal desu senpai

cyseil is next level comfy

I want to kill larian enthusiasts!

I wish you'd spend your time doing things other than shitposting on an anonymous imageboard, but we can't get what we want can we?

>fast attack
>strong attack
>dodge
>roll
>signs
>firecrackers

la la la LARIAN

>most overrated RPG
>not Skyrim

>skyrim
>anything other than a mass murder simulator for dumb americans

It's funny, but Skyrim is a better RPG than DOS, since it has actual multi-solution quests where you need to invest in Speechcraft to attain the said alternative, non-violent solution.

I'd rather a good book over the pile of shit that is Div:OS anyday

>skyrim with multisolution quests
you must be retarded

Spotted the gay memer who hasn't even played the game. Yes, Skyrim has actual multi-solution quests where your character stats actually matter, unlike DOS.

>multi-solution quests
>where you need to invest in Speechcraft
>Skyrim
You can't just lie like this.

No it doesn't? It has about a couple of multi-solution quests, but they don't have any stat checks.

Holy shit you are absolutely right. Turn based served a purpose in the past when it was used out of necessity due to technology limitations at the time. Their is not point to use it anymore. Especially if there is a pause mechanic.

Turn base shit never takes in to account the many intricate actions that occur in an actual battle, fight, etc. And it is beyond insane that turn based fanboys think that it is more skill based and requires more tactical thought. Bullshit.

Yes, it does. It has a couple of quests that allow alternative solutions (i.e. faster, on the spot solutions), that check your Speechcraft and you can't get those solutions unless your Speechcraft is high enough. In DOS, you can get any and all solution during multi-solution quests without investing a single point in Charisma. Skyrim is unironically the better RPG, which is pretty fucking hilarious.

>I'd rather have a story over actually good gameplay any day

Literally in the same boat as the people who unironically play Heavy Rain.

>actually good gameplay
Something Div:OS doesn't have

But it does, shitpost-kun.

Real time with a pause mechanic is fucking shit. It severely undermines the benefits of both and often one style of play is drastically superior to the other. It's the same garbage Bethesda attempted with Fallout 3 and 4.

>But it does, shitpost-kun.
It doesn't.
I'd take Heavy Rains no gameplay over that boring shit.

Shitpost-jun stop embarrassing yourself.

>invest in Speechcraft to attain the said alternative, non-violent solution.
>skyrim
>non-violent solution.
i'm sorry what?

It's definately the worst writing I have ever seen in an RPG.

Care to name a few examples? Because I can't think of a single multi-solution quest like that. Daedric quests usually had at least two outcomes, the civil war questline allowed for some faction backstabbing and double-crossing, and there was a branch in the DB questline, but this is about as much as I can recall, and none were stat related.

THIS. WHY THE FUCK?

Are you fucking retarded?

Divinity has several topics relating from mysticism to royalty that can drastically affect the outcome of the quest.

Skyrim has one speechcraft ability that often resorts in you saying "I wouldn't do that if I was you" if you want to avoid violence.

So you've played like maybe two RPGs in your life.

Ask yourself the same thing, Barney tier faggot.

kys faggot with shit taste

This is such bad writing.

I take that back, Barney actually puts efforts into his posts. You're below him.

You don't say. Hence why I don't want Larian to do it ever again.

>>to me, story and writting is the most important thing in a videogame

Then larian games are definately not for you.

I'd have to say, yes. It's not even good, it's mediocre as all fuck, yet the fans tout it as the best videogame ever made, and very few if any non-fans ever bother with this giant turd. As a result, it is indeed overrated as fuck.

>i'm sorry what?
Play the game before shitposting, that's what. There are shitloads of quests where you have to either pay some gold to get the needed info or you can simply intimidate your target. A good example of this is the quest in Riften where you can intimidate the Thane's assistant instead of paying her, IIRC. Yes, this is a primitive example of role-playing in a shitty RPG, but it's still better than DOS, where literally NONE of your skills or stats matter for the purpose of attaining alternative quest solutions.

fuck off to rpg codex

I like how the lack of clothing offends them and not them being cannibals, which is strictly taboo in almost every culture that still exists.

Dragon Age 2

>There are shitloads of quests
name 5

I've named one, which is enough, since it's already one quest more than in DOS.

kys, I don't even know who this barney nigger is

>I've named one, which is enough
no, name 5

Fuck you too.

Go back to your fucking Dragon Age 2, you subhuman piece of filth.

Well I was assuming you were thinking of something a bit more, you know, meaningful. Yes, there are intimidation/persuasion checks, but they amount to practically nothing. Usually the only difference passing one makes is that you don't have to pay for something, which is wowitsfuckingnothing tier in a game where money is a complete non-issue from beginning to the end.

If you do have an example where it was used in some other way, I'm all ears.

A shitposter several tiers above you, shithead.

Why would any sane person pick kiddynity unoriginal sin over pillars of maturity?.
It's mind numbing.

Well I may be a shitposter but at least I don't have shit taste like you nigger.

I found Cred Forums.

u forgot something along with everyone else in this thread, the game gets a thumbs down because there's no run button. it takes way way way too long to get to A to B, especially seeing as missions are just 'talk to some cunt', proceed to 'talk to some other cunt'.

>but they amount to practically nothing
Practically nothing is still more than nothing, which is my point here.

This. Fucking larianfags literally can't face reality even for 3 seconds, then wonder why larian games never become good.

the game is very boring user, look up a walkthrough and it's nothing but talk to x.

The whole game is basically talk to everyone in a whole town and see what happens. There's no choice to do it either since you need the quests for xp.

It's ridiculous how shit this game and larians games are.

Too bad the beginning is by far the strongest part of the game. After all, it isn't the part that retcons the game itself, it is almost not the part where you are literally immortal because you thought there was no way selecting talents based on their description could possibly be enough to break the game, it's not the part where the writing needs to matter yet wouldn't pass in a 3rd grade writing class and it's not yet the part where the bugcount goes through the roof. Not to mention it's not either the part where you have to pixel-hunt to proceed.

I fucking hate this board.

Yeah.

Can't argue with that since I still haven't got around playing D:OS and have no idea about checks in that game. If it has nothing then that's somewhat disappointing, although hardly surprising. The other Divinity games never had any checks either.

>Expecting good discussions out of Cred Forums
>Especially when this topic has a dedicated shitposter who likely drops his turds in a bucket just so he can always be there when a Divinity thread pops up

Either that or he's a filthy fucking European which explains why he's always on during Brit time.

Go talk about it on reddit if you want a hugbox you faggot, not everyone here eats shit with a smile like you.

The fact that Cred Forums has dedicated shitposters still surprises me. I know about at least two or three, like the guy who shits in EVERY Witcher thread. Every single one of them.

There was a nice divinity thread a little while ago.

I remember it well because the resident shitposting obsidiots didn't immediately ruin the thread.

No. A tad underrated I'd say.

WELL WELL WELL

>If it has nothing
It has multi-solution quests, but those alternative solutions can be obtained without investing a single point in Charisma - the skill that's supposed to govern the availability of the said alternative solutions. The game has this rock-paper-scissors minigame instead of hard skill checks, where your Charisma determines the amount of "damage" you do to your opponent while trying to persuade him, but you can win the minigame even with zero charisma and even you're too lazy to do that, you can just hit "auto resolve" and reload a couple of times. And I'm not even going to start about how easy it is to max out your Charisma without investing a single point in it through Charisma boosting items that can be bought at any storekeeper at random.

I can only imagine what the shit mound is like behind you, and how encrusted your desk is with hot pockets and ordered pizza.

The gameplay and environment is awesome but the crafting and equipment is broken, the inventory is broken, the writing is broken, the skill system is broken.

DOSEE still feels like a beta just like all you larian shills.

If they fix all the shit and actually manage a good story in DOS2 then so be it, but I don't think they can. The directing is retarded.

This is my first time shitposting in a Div:OS thread actually

>has no arguments to refute criticism
>starts shitposting and whining like a bitch
Lariandrones, everyone. Keep it up and your circle of mongoloids will one day reach the levels of cancer that is the Witcherdrone """"""fanbase"""""".

Well congratulations, you behave like this guy who is the shitposter.
Notice his overuse of """""""""" and poor grammar. This is a telling trait of the Divinity shitposter.

its story and chars may be boring kiddy shit but it has one of the best combat systems ever created and mechanics that allowed lots of freedom in how you fight

>Fucking women can't even stop herself from taking jabs at another female's figure in a post complaining about sexism

Lmfao. Reminds me of when I went to The International 2016 this year and had to wait in line listening to two girls behind me talk non-stop for 10 minutes about how a cosplayer farther up in line was a "slut" for dressing up.

Women are fucking evil.

>one of the best combat systems ever created
And it still sucks donkey balls, compared to ToEE combat. Larian literally can't do anything right.

I probably suck at the game but I felt like it pretty much forces you to play it in the correct order or you get buttfucked by enemies a single level higher than you

>d:os combat
>sucks donkey balls
Kindly remove thyself from the premises

This is a problem only in the beginning. later on, you can easily mop the floor even with enemies that are 1-2 levels above you on tactician difficulty, due to how overpowered skill combinations are (and I'm not talking just about magic).

D&D 3.5 is shit and I'm sick of seeing people overrate another one of Troika's broken games.

i have not played that one but i am pretty sure that the game does now allow you to have 1 guy in tb combat and other in stealth in real time with enemies present in combat in the same screen

Nice strawman. It's good, but nowhere near as good as ToEE combat.

Well, I can see why he has so much fun shitposting in these threads with such whiny faggots in them and all.

>D&D 3.5 is shit
If by "shit" you mean "best edition", then, yeah, I agree with you.

It starts out that way. Later, you can lone-wolf the entire game and don't break a sweat (if you min-max, that is).

You mean the combat they stole and is much better done in XCOM?

The reason I get into CRPGs is for the role playing and immersion. Although I really like the elaborate combat system, the fact that every line of dialogue is sarcastic or "ironic" just kills the mood for me.

It's not that I want the game to be super serious all the time, but after a while it really bothers.

>XCOM combat
>good

I sincerely hope you're referring to the original and not the new ones. And even then, that combat is pretty one dimensional.

The combat is dogshit.
>rain
>ice or lightning
>kill everything while they can't move
>if you don't do that the enemy does it to you isntead

>one dimensional.
>different heights.
>cover
>melee and ranged combat

>DOS combat is just cc everything

I'm late to this argument, but I just can't resist calling you a retard

Does the sequel use shitty diablo like loot?

worse
i.imgur.com/eZ4pnhq.jpg
i.imgur.com/eZ4pnhq.jpg
i.imgur.com/TRTXMFv.jpg

fuck larian games

Christ

Yeah what the fuck is up with that? Instead of spending time and money to rebalance the game or add content after the first half, the re-recorded EVERY LINE OF MERCHANT DIALOGUE!

what's the issue here?

This - or they could even have tried to actually fix the content. I mean hell, the game they released originally was alpha quality, not gold quality. Now it's barely beta quality. They obviously couldn't afford to redo the lines and yet they decided it was a better investment than unshitting the game. Incredible.

are you serious?

yes.

Does that apply to all items? Did Larian learn nothing from Witcher 3's catastrophe of a loot system?

Larian learned nothing from D:OS and will fuck this up, in fact... its already fucking it up.
Camera, same close up with little zoom camera, which was horrible in the first game
Combat speed... goddamnit Larian, one of the biggest single complaints about the first game, principal reason for me quiting... still the same slowly animated drawn out combat
The character creation screen... The game actually warns the player agaisnt starting a custom character, pointing out how much bestest the premade ones are
The dialogue system. Who the fuck greenlighted this mess? Fire the idiot. It's uterly jaring to constantly read "Tell him X" "Say to him Y", write like normal people Larian, you have been trying for god knows how many years and still cant do it.
the dialogue style is just... such a terrible, terrible stylistic choice.
Also the writing quality so far has been inconsistent as fuck, and not a marked improvement over other Larian games, if you didnt enjoy Larian writing before, this wont change your mind.
Seems like day\night schedules and combat speed slider were discarded cause of multiplayer. Also, the weird dialogue system cause of multiplayer.

Combat is the real deal breaker tho, its exactly the same as D:OS, which means no buy from me.

Today at 4:47 PM StatsIgnoring#2566
At least on Diablolol clones, you can get unique weapons with unique properties, D:OS doesn't do that what makes its item system even worse than Diablo clones because the uniques on D:OS are terrible, that is a fucking lazy design. Guess developers are going for this MMO sweet money because items on MMOs aren't designed to be interesting but to estimulate the slot machine mentality of people and keep the money flowing, they only offer you the illusion of progression and the illusion of reward to keep the treadmill turning. I like items with story and unique effects, people talk to this day of the disruption mace, holy avenger, lilalcor and other items on RPGs.

When magic isn't something special on your game and every other hobo has a magical weapon, sorry, your setting sucks balls and items are useless becoming just a straight damage exponential progression treadmill. It would be better to completely remove the items and every time you level up, your sword gets automaticaly upgraded, at least that saves you from the time of sorting out all those crappy items. Even on the DnD setting where magic items are almost handed as candy, there was some restraint in comparison with D:OS and its loot system.

Have you tried Legend of Grimrock?

>its exactly the same as D:OS
HYPE

It was breddy gud but there were too many ways to make a starting party such that you only realize 5 hours in that due to your starting choices, there is no way to pass the current challenge (i.e. balance issues that aren't immediately obvious).

Nobody in the world with at least a quarter of a brain is hype for that cancerous crap.

Kick and scream all you want, you aren't changing our minds.