What do you think of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes?

What do you think of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gdoyZLrhAH0
youtube.com/watch?v=7VGuWDQBXrU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The mechanic of needing to find shelter in the dark world and ammonwas very unique, but at the same time it's obnoxious enough to keep me from playing it again. That and grenchlars. It is probably my favorite Metroid.

The backtracking is way worse than MP1
>Most of the Dark World doesn't connect to itself
>DW hub and levels don't connect so to you have to go between worlds in a convoluted path to get anywhere
>Some sections require you to leave the level your in and return back to the hub, get an item in a room you haven't been back to since the very start of the game, and then back to the level to finish it off (fucking Multi-Missile Launcher)
At least in MP1 you had several different ways to get from anywhere to anywhere (sans PM) and that MC acted as decent hub-of-sorts
Besides that MP2 is great, yet obviously flawed

hey should i play the wii verions of 1 and 2 or the gamecube ones? also why for either choice? i dont care about completion rates so keep that in mind

The Wii versions have fantastic controls (as long as you use advanced movement) whereas the GameCube versions are a bit clunky by today's standards. The Wii versions did make some changes though like removing particle effects in order to fit all three games on one disc, but it's very minor and you won't even notice.

Best Metroid game.

Favourite Metroid, it's soundtrack is God tier and the locations were great and unique

I fucking love it its my all time favourite game

Gave up after 30 min. Way too hand holdy.
>enter area
>super slow zoom on a cracked pillar
>shoot it with a missle
>lets me progress to next area
>SLOOOOOW zoom on bridge and the button that drops it so you can walk over it
Who thought that was a good idea?!

well im going to be playing them on dolphin, so i will be using a controller anyway. is the gc version as clunky as wii remote mapped to a gamepad?

My favorite Prime but I can see why people might not like it.

You might as well play the GameCube versions if that's the case.

I played all the Metroid games (except Hunters) well after the release of Other M - that is to say, none of my opinions of them are tainted by nostalgia alone, since they all fall within a 3-4 year span or so.

Echoes was my favorite until AM2R dethroned it. Dark Aether actually felt hostile and alien, and it gave the game a very unique sense of urgency without resorting to something as obvious as a timer. It's easily tougher than the rest (save Metroid I, which is only because of the need to grind energy after every death), which I actually like. It also has the Luminoth, and Dark Samus fights.

A real drag through the mud compared to the first one.

A really good game as are all pre-OM Metroids, but seems to be becoming overrated by Cred Forums as of late. Notable in that we have been getting a lot of these threads lately.

it was ok but nintendo has done the whole "light/dark" world thing a bunch of times before and did it better

When did this "Prime 2 is better than Prime" meme crop up? Is it just contrarians? Prime 2 is wading through waist deep muck in video game form. Slow, boring, tedious, the only real joy comes from getting to the end and being done with it, and you wish you could go back to what came before.

Probably the Dark Samus fights and the music being a bit better than Prime 1.

I remember seeing it as soon as it came out. It was divisive, some hated it, but some absolutely adored it and considered it one of the best games they had ever played. Me, personally, it took me years to finally start enjoying it. I thought it was too boring and too much of a slog when it first came out - I think it really benefits from replays.

There are more than a few aspects of Prime 2 that outshine Prime 1, in particular the bos fights, music, and the atmosphere of some of the environments. Sanctuary Fortress is widely considered the best area in a Metroid Game, and Torvus Bog had a really nice feel to it. Stuff like that.

I thought the environments sucked. The music I don't remember well, and I certainly don't remember any of the boss fights. I haven't played it since I beat it the first time in 2004. Meanwhile I've gone back to the first one at least 3 times.

I think it was rushed and tedious and that the good parts didn't justify putting up with the bad parts.

Favourite Metroid game. Try to 100% it once a year.

Great game. Need to reply the trilogy version soon.

Prime 2 is when the novelty wore off and the boring movement and combat really started to become apparent.

And also MP2 has more boss battles.
And it's more challenging. MP1 is really easy even on hard mode.
And you have more, better tools to play with.
And the ammo count means you have to get good with all beam types. You can just find the Plasma Beam and get through the rest of the game on that alone.

MP1 has the advantage of better pacing and not forcing you to go through the same area twice, though. I personally like them both equally for different reasons.

One of my all time favorites. Loved the light/dark ammo system and replenishing it by using the opposite beam. I appreciated how scans now had full color states to represent them as I could properly scan any part of an object rather than just a square centered on it. The plot was a nice change of pace from Prime 1 as well. I felt motivated to help the Luminoth on their last legs as well as holding a personal stake against the Ing since they stole all my gear.

The tension of the dark world and the safe light spots was fun too, especially when the Ing wandered into light charged bubbles and died instantly. The bosses were great as well. Quadraxis remains one of my favorite bosses ever, and I even liked the gimmicky Spider Ball guardian fight too. Boost Guardian was the moment it was time to get good and felt really rewarding to beat a Guardian without any light sources,(same for Quadraxis.)

The Sanctuary was incredibly beautiful and atmospheric. The cityscape surface and the digital rain floating up in 90 degree turns made the whole place ooze with aesthetic charm.

I'm actually in the middle of playing through again on the Wii Trilogy version. Since the Logbook carries over between saves on this version, I'm trying to find the last 2%.

not as consistent as the first, very flawed, but its highs are probably among the highest in the franchise

sanctuary fortress is a masterpiece

It's probably that door that only appears during that horde Ing fight when getting a key in Dark Agon Wastes and Dark Samus' second form in the final battle.

Those or the Spider Guardian.

sky temple keys are worse than any other back tracking
grey rocks everywhere and all of dark aether looks too similar.

everything else is good. One of my favorite games.

okay so ive tried both. the wii one is clunky but i feel like its much more free than the gamecube one. i can aim wherever for example. its much easier to scan in the gamecube one but having to snap to targets with lockon is not appealing to me

Feels like Cred Forums is embracing mp 2 as the best metroid more often now. Things were a lot different 5 years ago

I feel like I have brain problems because I always hear from everyone how much the key hunting in all the trilogy was shit, yet it never bothered me from the first time I played til even today.

Well, except MP3's power cell hunting. Not for the hunt itself but because I don't wanna be on a haunted spaceship no more, only to find out that my power cells only went towards a missile upgrade.

Post yfw you found saw the massive urban metropolis in the background of a fucking Metroid game

I have no problem with the artifact hunt in the first Prime and I don't know why it's a turn-off for so many people. It's fun to finally have the entire world open for you without any restrictions, and it's totally possible for you to have collected a few artifacts by that point anyway.

>concept: you can collect power cells across these planets at any time and use them to explore an optional bonus area for cool stuff
>execution: power cells are basically missile upgrades that you have to sit through more loading screens in order to actually claim

WHY

Well, I didn't have a problem with it before because I was having the time of my life the first time I played, and I don't have a problem nowadays because by the time I beat Omega Pirate, I already have all but two artifacts. The one covered in Phazon and the one at the impact crater.

While I consider Metroid Prime the best vidya trilogy in existence, and Prime 2 an underrated classic compared to its contemporaries, I have a minor nitpick about it: Dark Samus.

Why have the main antagonist be an evil clone of the protag and then do nothing interesting with it? And yes, I know there is an in-universe explanation, but writing-wise, other than some of the comments of the space pirates, the game doesn't even do anything generic like the "protag has to face his inner demon" trope that Prime 3 sorta went for. I know that the writing in Metroid was never a central focus, so I call this a minor nitpick, but it is a bit baffling to have Dark Samus in the game like that when just a few months earlier, Metroid Fusion handled the idea much better in my opinion. Now Fusion is a flawed game, more so than Prime 2, but it utilizes the SA-X much better by turning itself basically into a Metroid role reversal - Samus so to speak becomes the Metroid that is hunted by what looks like her Super Metroid self. That is not terribly deep, but it ties nicely into the greater structure of the game and is more interesting than Dark Samus in the Prime trilogy ever was.

Better than MP1 in some ways; worse than it in others.

Also I get the feeling people who say best metroid for any of the primes only played the primes.

After looking over the logbook, I determined one of the missing scans is the Dark Aether Metroids in the Hive and another is some random Luminoth lore. This isn't the first time I came so close to 100% but fell short. Last time I tried it, I missed the one-of-a-kind Alpha Worm that turns into the Bomb Guardian at the start. That was some rage inducing shit after I finished and realized I'd been playing a doomed attempt all that time, but I still picked it up and played through the whole thing again immediately after for that 100%. I always refer to it as a labor of love.

I have played all the Metroid game except Prime Hunters, Prime Pinball, and only just bought Federation Force a few days ago. Unless that game ends up surprising me, I'm split between Prime 1 and 2 being my favorite Metroid games, with Super being really close.

>MP1 is really easy even on hard mode.

Except for Omega Pirate, fuck that guy

or more specifically, fuck wave troopers

I'm just waiting for Retro to take over the Fatal Frame series. They seem to really wanna make jump scare games, which was really apparently with that bullshit at Elysia.

Not very good
Prime 1 was pretty okay
2D metroids are just better

It's the Majora's Mask treatment. At a certain point one particular user started making threads and praising the oft-considered second-best game a lot, and then others who liked the game started joining in. This idea that the game is an 'underrated classic' compared to the original starts to grow, until you get to the point that it is considered better than the original.

Cred Forums may not be a hivemind but there can still be a strong bandwagon effect.

It was bretty gud. Didn't exactly capture the feeling of exploration like Prime did but it was a good installment regardless. Torvus Bog was the best area btw.

I'm playing through it for the first time right now.

It's okay, but it feels like Metroid Prime 1 except more irritating in every way possible.

Also finishing an area and watching a string of cutscenes and then being required to go back through the entire area to watch another string of cutscenes and then going back to the hub to watch another cutscene. Why.

Although I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one to get stumped by the Seeker launcher.

The Dark World not connecting on itself is driving me nuts. There's all these dead ends that I know are going to have Sky Temple keys that I couldn't do anything about because I didn't have the Dark Visor. Now I have to backtrack to all of those dead ends.

Best prime. I want a remake with dual analog controls. Gamecube is like a thumb torture device. Wii is serviceable but I don't like wagglan as it is not reliable

I thought it was interesting how Dark Samus was a reincarnated Metroid Prime. I'm not sure if the Prime husks can jump from planet to planet, but Dark Samus sure can so I wonder if Samus feels some responsibility from losing her Phazon Suit to Prime and giving it the ability for interstellar space travel.

I like SA-X more as well, but Dark Samus does have some more character to her and motivations such as her mocking laughter and plans to spread Phazon across the universe. I wish her name was a bit more creative like SA-X.

I have to say, so far I hate the boss battles. Everyone has way too much fucking health. You have too much health and the bosses have too much health. The bosses also spawn adds that usually have too much health that also drop way too much fucking health.

It's a tedious slog where boss fights consist of a ten/fifteen-minute ammo dump where you're never in danger of actually dying.

Sanctuary Fortress makes this the best game of the Trilogy.

youtube.com/watch?v=gdoyZLrhAH0

This my favorite area

>wagglan
t. Never played MP1 or MP2 on the Wii

I just finished this today for the first time ever, weirdly enough. What's with all the sudden Metroid threads, all of a sudden?

Anyway, I quite liked it, not as much as Prime 1 however. Backtracking was a pain and the dark/light world switching was an interesting but tedious concept. The weapons were also meh in comparison to Prime's.

I think that while Echoes does have some great boss fights, many of them get love for the wrong reason, that reason being the idea of higher difficulty. Because hard = best according to many.

It's my favorite game

Echoes surpasses the first Prime in these ways:

>better graphics
>better environments
>better atmosphere
>better/more bosses

The first Prime surpasses Echoes in just about every other way.

BEST THEME COMING THROUGH

youtube.com/watch?v=7VGuWDQBXrU

It has better music too

Am2r and federation force made it a hot topic

I don't think that's the case, I think Cred Forums just attracts like-minded people. i loved Majora's Mask long before coming here and I like to talk about it.

Although I'm not loving MP2 at the moment.

I just wish the portals didn't require activation and a cutscene. They should've worked like Turok or something: always active after you shoot them, with a color fade out/in as a transition. Nice and quick.

AM2R and Federation Force reminding people that Metroid exists and causing them to play/replay the rest of the series.

Hnng

Dom Samus is way better than sub Samus

I just did. Sometimes the sensor bar loses the remote and you start spinning in a circle. Or when locked on to something it loses signal completely. This is the fault of the wii hardware more than the game

A good game that needed a couple more months of dev time to be truly excellent. A little spottier than its predecessor in terms of quality but still a step forwards and a great game.

He beat me 20 times my first play through

Then i learned to dash

Game is ez

Ok I liked this area but it's seriously getting overrated. Is it to compensate for Agon and Torvus being so shitty?

>What's with all the sudden Metroid threads, all of a sudden?

AM2R, Federation Force, and the series' 30th anniversary raised interest in the series and got people playing/replaying it again.

I will grant you the sensor bar losing the remote, because that did happen to me a couple of times (not that often for me to feel like it was a recurring problem though), but losing signal when locked on sounds like a hardware problem on your end. I never had that happen at all.

>Then i learned to dash
This. Omega Pirate is deadly at close range, but doing a scan dash and releasing the lock to do a space jump covers so much ground that it's basically impossible for him to hit you any more.

>I just wish the portals didn't require activation and a cutscene.

I'm pretty sure the cutscene is a masked loading time, like how doors sometimes take an extra few seconds to open, though I didn't have any instances of the latter on my recently finished Prime 1 playthrough on the Trilogy.

post yfw it happened to you the first time

I find it safer to be close to him, honestly. His punches do hilariously low damage, while his cannon attack can drop 2 energy tanks if he gets a direct hit with it.

Well, I'm fanatical about cyberpunk crap, so seeing Sanctuary Fortress for the first time really became the most memorable part of the game.

Agon Wastes was really barren (even with the desert theme, they could have had more into it) and Torvus Bog was a little too samey. Sanctuary Fortress did a great job at making every room feel unique and different, interesting enemies, fun puzzles, and one of the best boss battles in the Ing Hive.

You see, all of these things could have been done by pretty much anything else. Making the bad guy in the shape of Samus brought some very heavy symbolistic implications with it, but none of them were really utilized at all.

A man of truly great taste. Femdom Samus doujin when?

I thought it might have been the Fed Force release combined with the anniversary. I still need to play AM2R - I really loved Zero Mission and was wanting to play Metroid II, but less clunky.

The portals were definitely one of my least liked factors. That, combined with the light-to-dark world transition cutscene were awful considering how often you jump between them.

Onto Prime 3 now, folks. How good is it combined to 1 and 2? Just got to the pirates attacking the Federation, it seems to have a lot more cutscenes than I expected.

My personal favourite of the Prime series, but also a royal pain the ass to get through.

I've beaten every other Metroid at least once, including Hunters single player, Vanilla 2 and MOTHER. I've tried three different times to beat this game and I always quit shortly after getting the water maneuverability upgrade. It's such a joyless slog. Torvus Bog has to be the worst level in the entire franchise and the fact that the dark world basically loses the only interesting thing it has going for it (deadly atmosphere) around that time doesn't help.

Prime 3 is ok. Being a wii game it has some dumb stuff like designs that are SHOOT THIS BIG TARGET HERE.

Prime's keyhunt could be mostly completed piecemeal throughout the game and wasn't a huge ordeal regardless due to the interconnectivity of the map,

Prime 2's keyhunt was a long and tedious grindfest that is virtually locked until right at the end and is exacerbated by how segregated the areas are and them being in the Dark Would in particular.

Prime 3's keyhunt could also be mostly completed piecemeal as you went along and didn't present a big hurdle. They also provided effective hints to track them down if you missed any and additionally instead of having one big lock gave you a whole area. Exploring a whole horror ship and solving puzzles there was much more rewarding and organic than a big locked door. Additionally you only needed them all for 100% upgrades, you could finish the plot critical objective there without all of the cells further reducing the grind.

Prime 3 while my least favourite in the series has by far the best key hunt.

There were too fucking many of them. Only half of them were cleverly placed.

>I always quit shortly after getting the water maneuverability upgrade
That's the worst of the game over though. It gets better after that.

You literally quit immediately after the nadir of the game.

>having to snap to targets with lockon is not appealing to me
You're going to be doing this regardless of which version you play. But with the wii version you have to make sure you keep the crosshair in the center of the screen as well.

>How good is it combined to 1 and 2
You get a few new tools that you don't have in Prime 1 and 2, which is really neat. Beam stacking sucks tho, really bummed about that. The experience as a whole is far more railroaded and cinematic than the previous games, but the environments sit comfortably between Echoes and Prime in terms of quality (Though some people swear by the environment of Corruption, and I can see why). GFed soldiers are cool. You get a dope new gunship, but its utilization is really underwhelming. Pointer controls are great, don't listen to the nerds calling it "wagglan".

That's about all I'll say, go play it.

the wii version doesnt snap. you can lock on but you have to manually aim

In Prime and Prime 2 you can set it to just be in the centre of the screen while you're locked on, which is worth doing considering that those games are not designed in such a way that you ever need free aim while being locked on unlike Prime 3.

I dropped the game, but this makes me want to play it again.

Fantastic theme.

areas like the sky temple and torvus were great but the dark world was so tedious its not worth playing again.

Prime 3's beam stacking was so boring. It didn't feel like your beam was gaining interesting new properties, it just felt like your power beam was changing colors.

You can set it to snap.

And in fact some parts of the first game on the Trilogy version practically require it. There are stalactites in the Phendrana Edge area that are almost 100% impossible to shoot down without the lock on.

The new grapple beam would have been great, except that the wii nunchuck is an unholy abortion that basically never works properly

Okay well you'll wish it did when you play the wii version of MP2 because as said there is never any need to use free aim while being locked on because the game wasn't built to make any use of it.

Agreed, I think there were some stalactites in the Ice Cave that refused to go down after 50 missiles so I literally had to google why, and found that it was a common problem if snap wasn't set to 'on'.

Prime 3 is Fusion as Prime 1 is to Super. As the Fusion of the Prime trilogy it has solid action, solid boss battles, great music and tells a decent Metroid story that has a bit more action and narrative propelling it than usual. Of course this all comes at a cost, the exploration is reduced, the atmosphere of isolation is reduced and in general it's a more hand holding simple experience.

It's not the true core Metroid experience. But as a way to close out the Prime trilogy with a bang and avoid falling into rehash territory? I was more than happy with it.

>underwater temple music
>its from SM

You can disable free aim to force that, but I keep it off anyway. There are situations where it's useful, like in Flaahgrah or Chykka's battle.

The nunchuck is the one blight on the Prime 3 controls. Otherwise it's the one Wii game that really made motion controls work by basically just using the pointer. That said there is technique to get the grapple to work reliably, it just isn't intuitive and you need to learn what the controller actually wants from you. Not a defence of shitty technology but you can make it work.

I feel like Prime 3 was when the series started to really lean towards generic FPS territory. There was still some of that Prime feeling but the more cinematic story, linearity, and emphasis on shooting seemed to stray far from what made Prime great and become more casualized and contemporary. It's like they literally went "we want the Halo audience."

Funnily enough, I'm half an hour in to Prime 3 and literally all I can think is 'this is the opening to Halo 1'.

but snapping feels like shit. i dont like it

It's just Z-Targeting like in any other action adventure game. The Prime games are obviously quite literally first person shooters, but you should understand that the combat mechanics have more in common with 3D Zelda games than any actual first person shooter. Aiming isn't really a factor of the gameplay and intentionally so.

My biggest complaint about ammo is that in my mind, it turns regular doors into "Power Beam Doors."

There have always been doors that take different kinds of weapons in the Metroid series.

I get what you're saying, it's just retarded

What I mean is that the most common type of door in any Metroid game is going to be a generic blue door that you just have to shoot with anything.

But since there's ammo in Metroid Prime 2, the "optimal" way to play is to conserve that ammo and only shoot blue doors with the power beam, which usually means swapping weapons. For example, nobody would ever use Missiles on blue doors just because they can.

It's a minor thing, but I'm a little annoyed at how much more weapon switching there is because of this.

Yeah but blue doors can usually be opened by anything, and that is still true in Prime 2. But when every other shot uses ammo then you become encouraged to shift to the Power Beam for every blue door. In Prime 2 I rarely used the Dark and Light beams unless forced to or it being extremely beneficial. In Prime 1 I used all of the beams in various situations and had more fun with their different features and uses.

Human soldiers and Star Wars space battles have no place in Metroid.

You actually can't use missiles on blue doors, for whatever reason. They just bounce off and give you the typical "This weapon doesn't open this door" message.

No, you're just autistic.
Spending one beam mmo opening a door out of fifty at a bare minimum when literally every enemy you can encounter replenishes it is not a problem.

I find that it depends on the door.

>not opening blue doors with bombs

I just started Prime. Should I scan everything?
And how easy is to miss the upgrades?

Yes, logically, I agree. It still subconciously influences the way I'm playing.

There's no reward for scanning unless you get literally 100%, which is unlikely on a blind playthrough

You should still scan as much as you can for all that sweet lore though

I disagree with you.

>Should I scan everything?
No. Scan lore if you're interested though.
>And how easy is to miss the upgrades?
None of the items are permanently lost, but you're unlikely to get 100% without a guide. That's only needed for the hidden ending though, the game is fairly easy.

>interrogation

It's a question mark.

Either works.

If you're being pedantic, a question is technically a sentence in the interrogative mood. "Interrogation mark" makes sense in that case.

I personally found it enjoyable to scan everything I can in every room. Already the Orpheon made it very rewarding to scan stuff by explaining through scan logs what had gone wrong on the ship. Stuff like scanning the dead pirates and finding out the different ways they had died also made the atmosphere of the Orpheon a lot better.

>How easy is it to miss upgrades
At first, not very much. With time, however, you often will need to explore every room thoroughly (and yes, that often includes scanning things in the environment) to figure out where an upgrade may be.

>Should I scan everything?
Only if you want to. They're an enjoyable read but there's a fuckload of things to scan and it will kill the pacing of the game if you read it all as you go. Only red-scannable things are mandatory so if you get sick of reading just go for those.

????????????

Honestly I can't finish prime 2. I don't know what it is, I can manage my ammo and go through the dark worlds without a problem, but I just can't bring myself to actually finish the game

Everyone said it's great but I just can't force my way through it no matter how many times I try.

It's a miracle that Prime 2 isn't a broken mess considering Retro had less than a year to develop it.

Slightly better than Prime, my favorite in the series

Worse than Prime 1 since the temple key collection is worse than artifact collection.

There's still some softlocking bugs left in the game. And lock of polish in other areas.

Prime 2 has one of my favorite bosses in any video game ever. Emperor Ing kicks ass.

Prime 2 probably has the best bosses in the series. Emperor Ing, Quadraxis, Dark Samus (especially the second fight) Spider Guardian.

1 > 2 > 3

Does anyone disagree?

Yeah, but Emperor Ing stands out because he's exactly what a final boss should be. He's an asshole that can be beat with standard methods but if you keep in mind what power-ups you got throughout the mission, he becomes easier.

Like, his first form has you needing to take out those tentacles, and you can use missiles to take them out, but then you realize, he's got exactly 5, meaning you have your 2nd and last reason to use the seeker missiles. The core form can be shot down normally as well, or you can use the super missiles. Then when it's time to ride him, you CAN use regular bombs, but then you can make it easier and use power bombs. And with its final form, you can use the color coating, or you can say "Fuck it" and just use the annihilator beam.

The reason why I love Emperor Ing is because he is a real test. Other final bosses will either "test" your abilities by having exactly one way to beat them or by pulling something out of its ass at the last second. Emperor Ing lets you beat him like most other enemies but is a real test because he's easier if you keep all your abilities in mind and know how and when to use them. It's everything a final boss should be. It's just a shame that MP2's actually final boss falls into those earlier tropes I mentioned.

Yes.

I liked Corruption more than Echoes

inb4 waggle

Suit yourself bro.

Can't you also use the screw attack on the final form? I know its a really hard hit to land but it takes away a significant portion of his health if you do.

That's a glitch.

I like the Wii-port of the Prime Trilogy more than the original due to the great controls.

Best usage of motion controls in general.

I didn't hate corruption like many on Cred Forums did. SkyTown was awesome and so were parts of Bryyo. I think the Pirate Homeworld was where the game really fell apart. I really don't remeber anything interesting about it other than its combat heavy finale where you have to escort the demomen to the door.

I think I'm the only person who was underwhelmed by Elysia, was blown away by Bryyo, and found the Pirate Homeworld And even Norion excellent.

Corruption only 'felt' like Halo because the feeling of isolation took a break during the first and last bits of it. It was a proper Metroid for the overwhelming majority.

It's a glitch, but yes. You can technically also use the Screw Attack on his final form and one shot him.

>supporting censorship

>trying this hard to fit in

Replaying this game is hard for me. I get through the first bit fine, but I always forget the location of ONE KEY and I can never find it.

Not fun. Horrible amounts of backtracking if that happens.
Love the locations though.

Best gameplay and writing (scan logs) in the series, slightly worse atmosphere / story (luminith/ing) than the first game.

It's still a masterwork. I wish it was harder and couldn't be cheese wrecked in dolphin with keyboard & mouse controls for the already-made-easier wii version, then people saying "this is too ez, dark souls is better" when dark souls wouldn't even exist if it weren't for metroid prime.

Anyway it's very good. Still stands up today if you aren't conditioned by souls fag shit to think backtracking s a problem and you should be able to instantly teleport anywhere you already were, so you play the game on an emulator and 4x speedhacks.

I am still PISSED at my friend for doing this, yes.

t. Someone who saved up when he was 12 years old to buy a gamecube for metroid prime's release, and actually bought prime 2 on release at circuit city because they had it for some weird price like 47.88 instead of 60, which was awesome.

And I don't buy games, most of my gc games were $15 or under, but this was the exception.

>so you play the game on an emulator and 4x speedhacks
I could understand if you turned them on for the Dark/Light world transitions (that bullshit takes way too long) but that's just fucking weak

Proves that Retro is a better developer than Obsidian

I gotta say, 2 = 3 > 1. Look, Prime is a great game with some excellent moments, but both of the sequels exceeded it in different ways. Prime felt very "plain" compared to the others by the time I was finished with the trilogy.

Also you can't shoot while grappling. That's one of my favorite things to do in the latter two.

Speaking of dolphin, has anyone tried playing the game with the mouse for the motion controls?
I never figure it out.

Oh man, remember when screens were that big?

Where did you stop last time?

Both under and over rated

I heard that's really good for Resi 4 atleast.

I'm glad the "prime 2 is the best" phase is over. Shit was obnoxious

no u

This. Prime 2 is my favourite, but I don't consider it the best. People need to stop pretending like the ammo, sky temple hunt, and lack of visual polish in the dark world weren't holding it back significantly.

Granted, I like the sky temple hunt, and the atmosphere is fantastic, but I'm fully aware I'm looking past things.

I also consider Prime 1 the best while also liking it the least, so.

I like the idea of calling Echoes the Majora's Mask to Prime's Ocarina of Time.

Mostly made with the same assets, releast about a year later, deviding the fanbase on launch, transitioned to being the "underrated better game" for many people, generally a darker twist on the formula of its series with time constrain elements that seem off-putting to some.

>I really don't remeber anything interesting about it other than its combat heavy finale where you have to escort the demomen to the door.
Come on man, Gandrayda fooling you by pretending to be an escaped PoW? Getting the Nova Beam and the fight that ensues before it? Getting to the orbiting seed and taking control of it so you can later open a portal to Phaaze? The Pirate Homeworld is actually one of the most memorable parts of Corruption for me. Bryyo was a little too short, and Skytown could get a little repetitive with all the ziplining.

>first 30 min of a video game made after 1994 is hand holdy
Stop the presses.

If the removal of exactly one instance of the word "damn" triggers you so much, then you should fuck off.

But man had Bryyo an interesting aesthetic. I know people say Elysia/Skytown was the optical highlight of Prime 3, but I am just so intrigued by those chained up moons you can see at the sky in the first landing area. I also feel like Bryyo had the most interesting lore.

>the feeling of isolation took a break during the first and last bits of it.
I liked the part when you head to Phaaze and promptly have the ship abandon Samus, since her DNA has been so corrupted that it cannot recognize her.
Nothing says isolated like having your last bastion of safety fucking off.

I can agree with that, I just had the feeling that the fleet was fighting in orbit the entire time, and that kept me company.

My opinion
-Better environment than MP1 on average (not by much), although some places are terribly bland and don't give a feeling of exploration
-Music is more memorable but not better. Check out MP1 soundtracks, some obscure themes are crazy good
-Too much stupid things to collect near the end
-Useless pirates
-Some great boss battles although they're often too long
-Ammo system is retarded
-Dark world was a great idea
-The scanning part of the game feels like it has less content to offer. Only improvment on MP1 in this department is the dark Samus story

My fav would be MP1
I still have MP2 on my GC but I lost MP1, I really wish I could still play it

The thing that bothers me the most about it is how the Ing Warriors are in the cover, are always presented by cutscenes/the Luminoth as the biggest threat and mentioned in lore scans as being present in massive hordes, but you barely fight a dozen of them through the game and they're barely threatening at all.

A wonderful game with interesting mechanics but still the worst Prime.

I for one will defend temple keys against artifact hunt, for at least in Prime 2 you're making more use out of the Light Suit and visit new places, there's even this one place that has a new enemy to scan, it feels like the game still has stuff to show me

I was a 12 year old brat who had never played an FPS before and it felt like one of the harshest journeys in my life akin to what people experience with dark souls. I always dreaded when I had to get into the dark world and its heavy atmosphere unlike anything I feel now in vidya. To make it even better my comprehension of English was very basic so decoding the esoteric scans and logs was always a challenge. It took me like 3 months of daily playing to complete that fucking masterpiece, however one month was spent being stuck to the boost guardian. Never has a boss felt that good to beat. A year later I picked up metroid prime 1 and completed that pretty cakewalk in a few days.

I had fun with the multiplayer before I started the main-game so none of us really knew how to play.

Really, I got stuck on the dak alpha blogg, boost and spider guardian for a while

Strongly dislike it. The bosses were terrible, the ammo system was a drag, and the backtracking was not good.

Plus the music was that annoying cybertronic grunge stuff and it was awful.

Yeah Dark Alpha Blogg was a real punk to me recently. Maybe I'm stupid and didn't notice a tell, but he seemed to just randomly decide to open his mouth during his lunging attack. I wasted a bunch of super missiles since I couldn't risk missing an opportunity.

There isn't a Dark Alpha Blogg is there? Did I miss a scan?

>Dark Alpha Blogg
Nah there isn't, he's the only boss that isn't an Ing/doesn't get possessed other than Dark Samus and the maintenance drone

It's underrated how overrated it is

Not as good as prime, but still god tier. Metroid will always be my favorite franchise

3rd best Metroid behind Prime and Super.

But they take a lot of pepper to bring down unless you use the light beam, at least compared to most other enemies in the game. Also don't forget they can possess stuff. I'll grant you the point about the lack of numbers, though.

It was my favorite franchise until 2010.

I dunno what it is I took several attempts on the GC, but did it first time on the trilogy

Wii version is significantly easier.

0/10