Just finished reading the (amazing) fucking book. Now i want to play it again...

Just finished reading the (amazing) fucking book. Now i want to play it again, should a give a try to the original 2033 or the Redux version ?

Have you got a decent PC? Play the original.

Console? Redux.

Decent PC.

OG 2033 is far, far better aesthetically imo. It also has better and more punishing stealth mechanics. Redux isn't so bad either, much smoother gunplay for sure.

Play Redux. I can run it at a decent framerate on my laptop.

original, redux ruins the lighting, atmosphere and other things

Original if you want the stalker experience, Redux if you're a filthy casual.

I got stuck at the fucking part where you get night vision goggles and have to sneak past the red army. I was probably just missing something completely obvious.

I loved Redux but that was my only experience. LL is neat too but definitely falls short in some ways to the original.

Also Pneumonic weapons are fucking tits.

OG games

Original is good for good pcs

Redux gameplay wise is the same , 2 modes one is the original other is the new casual shit

Redux changes a few things graphically whic you won't notice unless you played the original , by then it'll annoy you

Yeah lol, kill them all

The stealth is legit hard in this game, it requires you to be patient and learn their routes, avoid light and broken glass and so on, I think your nightvision goggles make a sound when you turn them on that the enemy will hear as well.

I remember at least one part with three almost impossible guards to sneak past, I spent ages before I managed to land three perfect throwing knives without any of them being able to sound the alarm. Knives bouncing off armor was a pretty fucking cool mechanic.

Slaughter the reds and the nazis?

i kept dying tho and sneaking past didn't work and i got bored

For some reason 2033 wouldn't run on my pc so I had to get the redux version.

Sneaking didn't work for me either so I just killed them.

I had a lot of trouble with that first section too. I eventually found an alternate route (or maybe it was the right way to go all along).

Once you fall off the cart, sneak down stairs and cross over to the parallel bridge you'll see two soldiers executing a prisoner. You can sneak behind them, climb over a fence and start platforming down through pipes and other derbies. You'll have to put your gasmask on and watch out for a few traps once you reach the ground, but it's pretty smooth sailing from there.

Thanks, user. I'll have to reinstall it. Been quite awhile since I've actually played it. I will remember this.

How good is the book I have it sitting collecting dust.

Mail it to me and I'll read it and let you know. I've been wanting a copy.

The stealth is broken in 2033. Redux fixed it but it kinda ruined the atmosphere.

I got halfway through but forgot about it, from what I've read it's a fucking great book, going to start reading it again, gave me a different slightly different atmosphere though.

Wait what? I thought Redux was supposed to be an upgraded version.

>realistically hard
>need to be able to determine when you can sneak past and when you can't
>decide on guns blazing or killing silently and hope you can sneak through before they find the body
>broken

Just no user, this isn't metal gear.

If you're not /lit/ you'll probably find it to be very enjoyable.
All in all pretty decent.

>realistically hard
>step on glass
>every enemy on the metro knows where you are

Metro is far more of a spooky supernatural urban dark fantasy than a typical post-nuke survival story.

I played the original 2033 and loved it. I also own Last Light OG and the redux versions (Thanks best buy for fucking up and selling it for a penny that one time)

For LL, is redux better?

Last Light will make you cry when you realise you can't turn on hit detection.

Like hit markers and shit? Who the fuck wants that

I don't remember it being like this, when you stepped on glass it would make the enimies look about, but not instantly be alerted to you.

Sad truth is during some stealth section even the knives had hit markers.

I just couldn't finish it...

It's by no means broken outside of getting spotted by one guy and having the whole map know exactly where you're at

Meanwhile with redux
>too much recovery time if spotted which you can abuse to sneak past blatantly unsneakable areas
>no environmental hazards to watch out for
>AI mostly oblivious to dead bodies
>press button to win takedowns

2033 stealth wasn't perfect but it was much better than in LL/Redux.

Aw fuck you mean they're mandatory...I was hoping you meant you wanted the option to turn them on.

Are the hit markers in both versions?

It was more of a joke. But when I missed a throwing knife and one enemy heard it, everyone heard it and knew where I was.

What's the book like OP? ?/10

Yes

8.8/10

With Last Light you might as well get Redux.

Ranger mode turns off hitmarkers. I'm pretty sure redux offers and option to turn them off too.

7/10, probably better in russian, mine was one of the earlier editions too so there were lots of typos.

>I'm pretty sure redux offers and option to turn them off too.
It doesn't

very enjoyable read; some nice little society and politics between the stations, interesting characters, nice atmosphere, and a few typos here and there. played the game long before reading the book and it really is a very different experience, and you can absolutely appreciate both of them better for it if you distance yourself from the game while reading. plenty of content was cut in the game, and stations are really on a very different scale in some places, leaves a lot to the imagination in a good enough way.

That seemed to usually be the case when using the throwing knives, but i think it was because they saw me, I'd just throw another one and kill him before he could alert the other guards.

>It also has better and more punishing stealth mechanics.

Stealth mechanics are almost nonexistant in the original. Once you alert an enemy the entire level becomes alerted to your presence regardless of how big or spread out a level is. In fact some areas like the one outside with the large patrol at the start aren't even doable in stealth since it's nearly impossible to take out 8 guys standing next to each other without alerting anything. And that ruins the rest of the level.

I don't have it installed right now, but here's a picture I found showing you can turn it off. Redux version.

All you have to do is kill the enemy before he can call out and no one will be alerted, in real life if a guy spotted you and started shouting the rest of the station will know within seconds, even if some people were to far to hear him they would hear other enimies shouting. Also you can stealth that level by simply not killing any of those guys.

>Once you alert an enemy the entire level becomes alerted to your presence
That's the big flaw but you most definitely can sneak past everything in the game with enough patience and good timing.

>with the large patrol at the start
Which one exactly? The one after you save the little boy? The patrol slowly starts walking down and plans to break into the station, right?