youtube.com/watch?v=BIMzs5O3QWo
youtube.com/watch?v=x9ZNmMqTbZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=rNSh-MJRwAA
youtube.com/watch?v=22ssSgNj-OY
thedarkmod.com/main/
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133627
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good sound design

People don't seem to give a fuck that they live right next to ghosts and zombies.

It was going to be spookier

Thief is a horror game?

Good atmosphere and sound.

I remember playing a mod where the town slowly gets taken over by the undead. That was too spooky.

the crab people, bug people, and undead hammerites

That part of The City was walled off for ages. You get used to it.

Crab people are the worst.

I don't like those guys that look like they are on fire. They freak the fuck out and start moving at a million miles per hour if you start hitting them

It had familiar yet otherworldly atmosphere and world. I don't know how to explain it

Source? Can't fin anything besides fucking thief 2014 and deadly shadows

look up thief dark camelot
youtube.com/watch?v=BIMzs5O3QWo

youtube.com/watch?v=x9ZNmMqTbZ8

Join us. Join us! JOIN US NOW

I am a sucker for dithering.

From what Thief game should I start?
I have three, Thief Gold, Thief 2 and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I remember playing one for a bit and the controls seemed to be rather bizarre.

This thread has given me an ample boost of motivation to finally play the game series.

the first game why do you even have to ask?

I have no idea which one is it.

Play in release order.
Use TFix, tafferpatcher, and Sneaky Upgrade for Gold, 2, and DS respectively.
Rebind the controls. TFix and tafferpatcher even come with a few more modern configurations you can choose.
Graphics mods are for faggots.

So google that shit.

Thief Gold. Anyone that says otherwise is a moron that should be ignored. The default controls are a bit strange and I recommend you rebind them to your liking. I vaguely remember there being presets so you can pick WASD without configuring everything.

early 90s to early 200s rough 3d Models combined with darkness

Me too

Are you braindead?
You could just google "thief 1" and find out what Thief Gold is the first game in the series. If you can't even do that - this game is gonna be your worst nightmare.

To add to this user. Thief often gives you incomplete, hand drawn maps with you needing to rely on your compass and your own notes which you can take by just clicking on the map and typing to navigate the levels. I think people that dislike Thief 1 simply don't know how to deal with basic navigation.

Why can't we have a good thief or even just a good stealth game anymore?

I remember that and I really liked that aspect in the game.
My assburger self did nothing but draw maps in Etrian Odyssey games so it was really fun in Thief to navigate via the small notes with a hastily drawn map by someone.

casuals don't like stealth games

because of "press X to awesome" bullshit and the fact that people are too impatient to play stealth games that require patience and thought

Since this is a Thief thread I've been waiting for, I'll post something I'm doing right now.

This is an SFM poster made with TF2 assets, currently unifinshed as I'm working on it right now. Curious if you guys have any suggestions.

This. It's really sad what happened to Splinter Cell with Conviction. The first three games are the pinnacle of third person sneaking and they throw it out the window for a "stealth shooter" style game.

Because there's 20 games worth of FMs.

That's like one single guy in the entire game. Makes quite an impression, though.

We've been in the dark age of stealth games for quite a long time now.
Back when the 3D stealth genre was in it's infancy, devs had stealth rely more on level design because they (for whatever reason) didn't try and make overly-complex A.I.
Modern game devs try to make stealth more realistic but none of them can manage to make an enjoyable game out of it.
Don't even get me started on all the devs that hamfist stealth into an otherwise non-stealth game.

>Play second level
>See decomposing corpse on the ground
>Walk further on
>See second corpse
>It gets up and starts attacking you
>alt-f4

Thanks man

From what I remember there's one in the Bonehoard and one in the Old Quarter. Both of those levels rely on the player having a certain number of fire arrows, and they drop fire arrows, so that's why they're there.

Do you guys like dishonored?

Dishonored is really good, although in my opinion it's more fun to play it as more of an action game.

I like it as a *teleports behind you* and fuck around kind of game but it's nothing like Thief.

It's closer to Deus Ex than Thief, really.

I've been replaying this recently going full chaos after beating it without being detected at all and never killing anyone. It's pretty fun but i'm definitely not as good as that one guy's videos. That guy is some kind of super ninja.

>start third level
>corpse immediately in view

Security is necessary to prevent exposure and dilution of talent.

So any good crack ?

THE FUCKING CRADLE

You might like Styx

He uses trainers to allow him to spam as many health and mana potions as required. Still doesn't make the videos any less cool though.

don't have any suggestions but this looks good user

Looks pretty cool.

Oh, I didn't notice that, makes sense though, he blinks around the map like a madman.

>get spooked as fuck the entire time
>turns out there's literally no enemies in the first half of the cradle

Anyone here played The Dark Mod?

Cradle spooks everyone first time they go through it.

Second half in particular is hair-raising, fuck those puppets holy shit they are creepy as hell. Spastic jerky movements, they don't fucking stay dead and they go literally psycho with those rusted cage-fist and helmet things when they see you.

I have. Shits good but since all the maps are fan made some of them are really bad, and some are very good.

Wish there were more maps. I'd make my own but I've never fiddled with the mapmaker tool and I know fuck all about level design.

>finally find the four talismans
>enter the cathedral
>hear muffle noises coming from several doors
>open one
>suddenly hear all of this shit
youtube.com/watch?v=rNSh-MJRwAA

NOPE

Never finished the game as a kid because of this shit. The first enemy charging at me from behind literally made me fall from my chair and bang my head on the ground.

This video still gets me
youtube.com/watch?v=22ssSgNj-OY

It's excellent and a great successor to Thief and Deus Ex.

Not really. But you don't always steal from rich assholes. Sometimes you sneak through a tomb or an old mine. This is where it has it's spooky as fuck moments.

>don't fucking stay dead
A combination of flash bombs and holy water seems to do wonders. I throw the bodies into the oven in the cellar/morgue for good measure, too.

Playing this as I was younger still was nearly too much, especially because I had watched House on Haunted Hill not too long before playing that particular level

Sometimes even rich assholes literally have skeletons in the closet, don't forget about that.

I consider it a spoiler. So I didn't say it.

>that house
I was about to shit myself when I opened the second chest

These two are so sexy, why trailer of today are so boring?

Depends, if you are a graphics whore just go and play the third game first, it's really good but on the other hand, worst in the series. It will help you in the future as when the graphics go "worse" in the prequels, the gameplay gets better. After playing 1 and 2 the third game might feel pretty shitty.

Otherwise, it does not really matter, I played Thief 2 first and really enjoyed it. But when I went to the first game, the level design was not as good. So maybe you should play in order.

FUCK THIS LEVEL

Fuck, that level was so god damn confusing the first time around. Now when I replay the game I just speed run that mission on easy.

>mfw playing Constantine's mansion and experiencing its fuckery for the first time

[giggling intensifies]

I ran through that mission as fast as I could, probably missed over half the level. Never even saw that twisting hallway as soon as i saw the room with the furniture on the ceiling I wanted to leave.

I quit at the mage tower level. The game just had too large levels for its own good, way too much time spent running around in empty space and getting lost. The secondary objectives were way too hidden too and caused a lot of frustration when trying to find them all.

Thief 2 has a much better level design, you should at least give it a try.

Thief jumps into supernatural shit too fast for me. I liked the first mission so much I hoped the game was going to be all breaking into mansions and castles and shit. But then I'm fighting zombies and wizards. Thief 2 is much better in this regard. It's pretty much all about heists and the supernatural shit doesn't take over, it's just there in the background. I haven't finished Deadly Shadows yet.

Which map is the best and why is it pic related?

Thief 1 is way more consistent in terms of quality than T2. I'd argue the only low point of Thief Gold is Mage Towers.

This.

I don't like spooky stuff. Which means 7/10 levels in dark mod, and most thief levels, I don't like.

Just give me some big mansions to break into, a bank with an overly-intricate vault puzzle to figure out, a block of middle-class apartments to cat-burgle, something like that.

HEY GUYS, IT'S GARRETT!

>352235407
why are the guards movements so effeminate?

Gold --> 2 --> Deadly Shadows

>the thieves guild

I still beatbox to that loop to this day.

Randomized routes in patrols, pretty much every guard is watching each other, one billion of them scattered throughout the level, the place is a labyrinth, tons of lights you can't douse. Yeah it sucks.
I feel dirty as fuck knocking out as many guards as I do, I usually like to not disturb as much as possible.

GET ME THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

The first time I played, Song of the Caverns was very creepy for some reason.

OH BUT FORGIVE ME

AE YOU POSSIBLY... FRIENDLY WITH THE ORDER OF THE HAMMER?

Gotta love the dialog in this game, it was delicious.

It's pretty creepy at the start until you realize you're wandering into an Opera House. Great mission though and really makes you learn how to maximize moss arrows. I ended up using a gas mine and gas arrow to get into the quarters that has guards outside and 2 guards inside looking at both entrances.

Even the opera house felt ominous. I remember one hallway with wallpaper that reminded me of The Shining.

>start level
>having a fuck ton of fun because of the layout
>get into the tower
>fucking walker in the first room sees me
>hide back in that small room you get into from the vents
>noise starts to getting louder
>robot's face clips through the door right in front of my face

couldn't alt+f4 faster even if i tried

best level

Looks great but I always found it weird how Hammer Haunts can wield hammers in T2 while they are supposed to be holy symbols. They carry swords in Thief 1.

That was a neat touch in the first game. Damn you guys I'm reinstalling Thief 1 and 2 right now.

That looks awesome, Thief needs more fan works.
Yeah that always bothered me too.
I'm trying to remember if Hammerite guards fought differently with their huge ass hammer or if they still had a fencing style going on.

There's nothing better to smite unholy heathens with than the very symbol of your faith. I bet they also get a lot of practice using hammers when they work in the forges all day long.

I think people overlook Precious Cargo because it's a small level that comes right after Life of the Party but I love it. I know comfy is overused but sneaking around a foggy old island in the rain is the definition of comfy.

No way man. Garrett is a white rectangle.

Think he's just quoting the guard. Those thieves are quite familiar with Garrett.

I like the image of one of the thieves stumbling upon pic related hiding in a shadow.

this is the best conversation
I like all of Benny's conversations, but this one is one of my most favourites
The next one is when the other guy has a cold and Benny is talking to him and he just gets mad at Benny, says he's going to quit and calls him a taffer

The best part is how pissed off he really sounds
YOU'VE GONE-YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR

i enjoyed thief 2014

Who was in the wrong here?

>that graphics

lmao

How hard is it to learn DromEe? I've used tons of other level editors before, but DromEd looks very confusing.

thedarkmod.com/main/

Any one know anything about this? Any good?

I've never used a level editor before and it didn't seem very confusing, but I can imagine it would be a bitch to make anything actually complex with it.

It's pretty fun. A bit of a pain since you're downloading individual missions and mission packs rather than coming with a full fledged campaign.

Your taste is shit, your genetics are shit, and your bloodline won't survive.

It's a bit confusing and archaic but easy enough.

also who is this semen demon

Dunno, found it in my image folder where I save all my shit

Her name is Jay Bailey iirc

Gemma Massey apparently

>the crab people

>playing the ruins mission where you have to find the catherdral
>what's that sound
>oh it's coming from this hole
>it's getting louder

It's not bad, but it feels a whole lot more clunky than the original thief games, you aren't very nimble at all and the AI is not the greatest.

It's solid for a free independent project.

FLAMES AROUND YOU FLAMES NOTHING BUT FLAMES BURNING YOUR FLESH

What an incredibly unfun level.

Good work but it makes thief look like an action game. It's thematically way way off the mark.

bump damn you

Thief Gold is the best game ever made.

>Step in shadow in a corner of a brightly lit room
>No one can see you

>play game
>thing that doesn't happen in real life happens

VIDEO & GAMES

YOUR SOUL CANNOT BE SAVED

Thanks for replying to my shitpost.

Best FOV for this game?

It feels weird seeing everyone's troubles with the thieves guild but no complaints about escape..

Hammer Haunts ARE unholy

Lighting was extremely impressive for its time, and still holds up today.
Sound engine and how noise travels sTILL has not been matched to this day. Sound design itself is incredibly detailed.
Good art direction in spite of its very limited graphics.
Basically the devs went for full force atmosphere rather than graphics.

>truart's manor
>there's a hidden area beneath the chapel
>make the mistake of going down there

constantly dark lighting, ironically, Garrett benefits from dark areas, but that's also where the spooks lurk
and Garrett is not very good at combat, get caught in a rough spot and you're fucked. Even against humans.

I hate escape. Very hard to sneak out and just as hard to fight your way out

lose/lose

MGSV and the new Deus Ex are probably the most fun I've had with stealth since Thief 2. New Hitman is also pretty good.
Stealth as a genre has totally stagnated and turned to garbage since the 90s, but I feel like we're kind of having a big stealth revival right now with a number of good games. Just a shame we don't have any more slow-moving, super immersive Thief-likes anymore with gigantic levels to explore.

MGSV had good stealth mechanics, but they were attached to such boring level design it kinda took everything down. Maybe if they had some more interior levels and not just the same boring open desert base then it might have been something special.

>Just a shame we don't have any more slow-moving, super immersive Thief-likes anymore with gigantic levels to explore.

Amnesia had a light thief vibe, it's a shame they went on the way of the walking simulator.

The map is so old it crumbles in my hands.

>Just a shame we don't have any more slow-moving, super immersive Thief-likes anymore with gigantic levels to explore.
I don't think that's feasible for most computers at this point and especially not for consoles.

At least not with 'modern' graphics.

looks cool, if you have photoshop (or any sort of program with a VTF importer plugin) consider looking up how to override materials in SFM to swap textures so you can colour the clothing

Sepulcher of the Sinistral?

Personally I love Assassins' map, mostly because of how it looks. Pretty much all of TG's maps were great. T2's were far too detailed.

It's absolutely feasible nowadays. Engines like UE4 support massive areas and corridors and things like texture streaming make it much easier on machines.

It pains me to think of how much better MGSV could've been if it was condensed to several GZ-style maps.

Indeed.

Those amphibian zombies or whatever are terrifying.

There are no cutscenes for my version of thief.

Help

TFix

levels like this one really seals it as one of the classics and adds that mysterious quality to the game if only because of how large the levels are which makes it feel more than just a gamey level.

I just used youtube for the cutscenes that didn't play.

Is there a more sick and twisted villain?

depends. Karras is more or less hitler with charisma turned down in favor of more autist rage

Something that always got me with Thief is how hard it is to hide from guards. I don't just mean outrunning them which is an ordeal of its own, but how they seem to gravitate towards you if you're in shadows and they're alert. Do they actually get increased vision, or do they just get tethered to you and home in until you relocate?
>that part where he kills viktoria and for the first time in the series garrett sounds genuinely distraught
>then he gets super fucking pissed
perfect way to hype the final confrontation.

i heard you guys like HD texture packs

what

bump

AH YES, NOTHING BEATS SOME GOOD OLD GRAPHICAL UPGRADES

didnt someone make a texture pack and replace the paintings with selfies of him and his gf, and when people complained how out of place it was hes like "lol i dont see you shitters making hd packs" or whateve

Yup. Somebody post the pic.

jesus christ what a fag

>Garrett will never dip his stick in this salad
Poor guy

Haunts are the worst for me.
>sneaking through hammerite building/tomb
>hear jingling
>it keeps getting louder
>oh shit
Something about their design and the jingling just gets me.

Haunts are basically the game's ultimate predator, and everything about their sound design was meant to be foreboding. It was knowing that, even if you were several rooms apart, a chance encounter could easily spell your death, getting abruptly carved apart with the disturbing bone-crunching combat sounds in a matter of seconds. That shit'll get to you. I don't feel like enough stealth games do this sort of thing where they make an elite-type enemy such an evident threat.

Getting chased by them spooks me every time. The constant laughter as their footsteps are keeping pace at an unnatural rhythm, anticipating a flurry of blows to your backside.

No, Thief is actually scary in places.

This so much. Camp Omega and OKB Zero were so much more enjoyable than the giant empty maps with scattered tiny outposts we got.

Of course it is, modern occlusion culling and whatnot is more efficient than Thief's "portals" (invisible gates that determine what part of the map doesn't have to rendered or sit in memory at any given time). Question is more whether it would attract enough players, probably won't happen until immsims generate more interest for this type of thing.

Bumpu

maybe garrett should have learned how to handle a sword

I dunno man, for a thief he's pretty good.

the keepers probably trained him up a bit.

I feel ya. Open world is a concept that needs to end.

In case TFix and all else fails, re-encoded cutscenes should work in-game:
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133627

Anyone who says first person stealth isnt viable hasnt played this game

*burrick noises*

Hey, what was that?

first post best post

bump

Why do people hate the thieves guild level so much.

Maybe you should just git gud. Sword combat isn't that hard. The hard part is finishing them off when they start running.

Because they're scrubs who can't read a map and navigate in a level.

>mowing someone down with arrows
>last arrow just misses them as they escape

I guess because the level is so huge and you have to backtrack a lot which makes it tedious. I don't know I liked having to figure out such a massive map and figure out the best way to get through it, it really made me work hard to learn how it fit together.

>killing guards
amateurs

You don't have to backtrack if you actually listen to the conversations.

Why did the Hammerites just burn their dead?

I don't remember this.

Because FLAMES AROUND YOU NOTHING BUT FLAMES BURNING YOUR FLESH

Why didn't they, you mean?
I'm just pulling shit out of my ass, but maybe burning the dead was desecration. Haunts are only formed when unholy shit corrupts a Hammerite crypt, so they don't worry about it.

it's in Thief 2. That might be why.

I played all but 4.
Does it have a name or is there a video?

the golden cherub. It's in life of the party and in Soulforge

To be fair, Mage Towers is the worst fucking level in TG, and coming off of the shit that was the sewer level, I can see the frustration. If you have to, bump the difficulty down so you don't have to go collect the other shit and can just leave once you've got the main stuff.

I encourage you to pick it back up, I stopped for about a month after the Mage Towers just because it sucked so much, but the game really speeds up toward the end.

What's wrong with the mage level? All it takes is going to the library then running to the towers.

>level of detail never seen before in gaming

Only beated by themselves.

I think part of that statement is still up, i cant recall any game with sound propagation system like this.

Never saw this...

I love the parkour in this game.

And I love that since this game was made in the same engine as system shock 2, you can vault obstacles in that game, if you knew that.