What is general consensus of this game? Is it one of the most hated game or is it just very polarizing...

What is general consensus of this game? Is it one of the most hated game or is it just very polarizing? What was people's first reaction when this game was first shown before its release?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q8mfd2IY9S8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's a fine spin off game, not much more than that

>What is general consensus of this game?
People with a brains see it's great even without being a rpg. Ttyd fags think it's Other M levels of cancer.
>Is it one of the most hated game or is it just very polarizing?
The latter.
>What was people's first reaction when this game was first shown before its release?
You can imagine Ttyd fanboys being buttmad to the max. Unfortunately, their autism tainted the game forever, now the game is a great game while outsiders think it's bad because nostalgiafaggots told them it's bad.

I thought it was really engrossing and original in a lot of ways. One of the more interesting games I've played.

Or do I just have bad taste or something? I played it once when it came out and it has overridden all my experiences with the other PM games.

the plot and characters are good, gameplay is meh.Paper Mario is dead and M&L will die soon. Thanks Nintendo.

>M&L will die soon
You with, Paper Mario autist. M&L will live for a long time.

If you liked Paper Mario and TTYD, and take it to be a spin-off of those games, it's amazingly good. The Bleck/Tippi story is one of my favorites in all of videogames, especially because of how surprisingly dark it gets towards the end for a Mario game.

Some people believe this was the start of the death of the series, but I disagree. That title goes to Sticker Star.

I dislike the gameplay and most of the level design. It's not creative and/or challenging enough for a platformer and it's too braindead for an rpg. Around half the chapters are saved by the concept and the characters, but I find the other half to be very boring. I also have issues with the graphical style, the geometric NPCs look like uncreative shit. Environments are generally better, but can also be hit-and-miss. Whoever thought that the final world being entirely made of simple white outlines on a black backdrop would look interesting or good is an idiot. That kind of stuff is okay for a couple rooms, not four whole levels.

Pretty good story and music though.

What's so bad about M&L nowadays? Paper Jam looks fine to me.

>M&L will die soon
What did he mean by this?

It was great for what it was. I think some people had mixed opinions about it but appreciated it more after Stickerstar and Color Splash

Nothing really. It's always been the same series with the same fundamentals and some different concepts in each game to make it distinct from the others.

Stop being so angry.

I played it. It was good, but not great. The end.

There's something about the series that none of the games except Superstar Saga have had for me, and I can't even pinpoint what it is. But there's just some kind of charm that I only got from the first one.

It's getting more and more monotonous
Even with the new mechanics, Paper Jam was boring AF to me
I also think the pace is getting slower and slower with the loading times

I'm playing through this now for the first time.

Great game, but the gimmicky "B for Luigi, A for Mario" everywhere is annoying. It could have been just as great, if not better, without those controls. Nintendo shouldn't always have to do something "new and innovative" with their all games.

I can't remember which games I've played first, but all I know is that the first two are better than SPM, but I always thought SPM was alright despite it not being anywhere as good as its predecessors. I could see why some fans hated it and seeing it being the cause of PM series being dead, but overall, I thought it was inoffensive, really.

Best PM game

>What was people's first reaction when this game was first shown before its release?

Some confusion, some disappointment, but most were just desperate for a new Wii game.

It's a fantastic game, but people shit on it because it isn't an RPG.

before paper jam the series kinda drew out the special attacks with increasingly involved animations and mini-games to get more damage. PiT kinda introduced huge hp spikes for enemies as padding, but not very game does it. I can't remember any in Paper Jam but Dream Team had more than a few.

I agreed on the gameplay part, that right there was the biggest flaw of this game. To me, they should've gotten rid of the RPG elements and make it a standard platformer. For the geometric designs, as lazy as they are, there are some or few characters who stand out more than the most generic unimportant NPCs. Also, I always thought that Mario and co have traveled to some sort of alternate dimension where everything is all bizarre and strange compared to the Mushroom Kingdom, hence the whole flipping dimension thing going on. The final world doesn't look that bad, besides being a black castle ruled by a dark dimension-hopping villain.

All of this, right down to the mimiga.

>Really want to play this game
>It's in my storage locked 3 miles away
>It's cold as fuck outside and I'm so comfy

G-guess I can settle with PM64...

It's a mediocre platformer starring a character who typically excels at platformers. It focuses on an extremely simplistic story which it stretches out as long as it could be to make it seem epic or deep when it is not.

I personally think Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a better game than it is.

Did Super Mario Galaxy came after this?

Tied with Mario RPG and World for favorite Mario game IMO.

Also Luvbi was cute and story had its feels.

The more I think about this games art style the weirder it seems

I get that it's a 480p game, but even on my 1080p TV with upscaling it looks pretty okay. I think it might be the only Wii game that looks good on my TV using the upscaler, all others I've got to scale the TV resolution down so the Wii game displays in native resolution at the center of the screen. I hope Colour Splash looks great in 1080p

Superstar Saga was certainly a very new thing when it came out. Heck, it's still relatively "new" compared to the games that came after it because it all took place in a completely new kingdom.

Also, even though the beanbean kingdom had enemies reminiscent of standard mario enemies, the fact that they were "beanbean variants" made it almost seem like a send-up of the mario games in general. Honestly the game was very cheeky with its presentation, and as soon as PiT took things back to the mushroom kingdom, even with the whole time travel gimmick, it basically lost that special cheeky charm the original had, and never recovered it.

Yes, Galaxy came a few months later. SPM was the April Nintendo game for the Wii, Galaxy, if I'm remembering correctly, was a Christmas release

Easily has the best story in Mario's history. It's incredibly touching, especially considering the context. The gameplay itself is fine enough, and it has a cast of quirky, memorable characters typical of the series.

Should have been original ip like most spin offs, same can be said of the original paper mario games themsselves.

Now we have a spin off of a spin off of a spin off of a spin off in tems of core mechanics that ever needed to be but is always garunteed to let some part of the fanase down and fracture it even further just for some brand awareness, bad long term strat imo.

>It focuses on an extremely simplistic story which it stretches out as long as it could be to make it seem epic or deep when it is not.
The initial premise and goal, sure, but there's enough little character interactions and subplots to give the world a rounded feel (enough that worlds "dying" holds some concern) and gives Tippi's final sacrifice weight.

Gameplay and playable character count could've used some work, sure, but Sticker Star just sounds desperate.

OP here
And here's another thing I wanted to ask. While I could see it having its love and hate from its fans, is it really up there being the worst Super Mario game, like how Sonic 06 is the worst Sonic game and Other M being the worst Metroid game?

All stories are simple if you boil them down. You just seem ignorant now.

Oh God, no. SPM was somewhat polarizing amongst the fanbase, but it never came anywhere near the scathing backlash that those games received. The only Mario game I can think of that was lambasted on that scale was Sticker Star.

Stop being so stupid.

I played it too. And it was great. Yes, fucking great. I am sick of this kind of bullshit. Just because it doesn't follow the gameplay of its prequels doesn't make it not great. For what it is, it is damn great. Period.

>Is it really up there being the worst Super Mario game.

No, only dramaqueens who want to overexaggerate their disappointment in a particular entry in a series would call any of the Mario games that 1st party Nintendo or Intelligent Systems made the worst mario game. Even when they make something that disappointsg like Ultra Smash or Mario Party 10 there is still a lot of polish put into it.

The worst is low effort attempts such as the likes of Mario's Time Machine.

I'm not that guy, but you seriously need to chill out. Don't have a sperg session over Paper Mario of all things.

One of my favorite games.
I recognize its flaws but I love it too much to let them get to me.

>Stop being so stupid.

Get a grip, he said it was good.

It's Great.

64>Super>TTYD>PJ>SS

It's second best paper mario game thus far

Dude, calm down. I don't want any flame war starting in here. I like the game, too, but it's understandable why many people don't. One example being that they were hoping for another 64/TTYD and it let them down. Hell, if anything, I've seen some people who played those two games first actually liked SPM. They were disappointed, sure, but they thought game was alright, though

not him but i also think hating on it because it's different is bullshit, fuck you

PJ isn't a paper mario game

It certainly features one of the coolest mystery villains around. Who was he anyway? Now that Nintendo has committed to only focusing on the standard Mushroom Kingdom characters, I guess we'll never now.

was an alright game but objectively marked the start of the decline of paper mario

deny this

>It certainly features one of the coolest mystery villains around.

So far you mean. Color Splash is looking to knock that mystery villain off his perch.

I disagree.

Post YFW It's actually carbon paper Bowser posing as the real one

No need to be a bitch about it, dumbass.
While it's true that hating things because it's different is bullshit, those people kind of have a reason to be disappointed. And by "those" people, I meant the ones who missed the first two mechanics, but knows this game is good by its own rights. I'm not talking about those who have some sort of a blind hate for it and will bash it every time it's brought up.

N-NANI!?

>the ones who missed the first two mechanics
then play the first two retard

>tries out new, gimmicky things
>completely abandons the formula of the previous games
>the only real relation to the previous games is they're paper
the only difference is that SPM ended up sort of working
they were fine with that and now we've got color splash and sticker star

Who's hating on it? Damn underage.

>you already have these games, how dare you ask for more in the same vein?
literal autism

Fun the first time through. Not worth playing a second time. Just like Superstar Saga.

It's a 6/10 at worst. It just seems worse than it is because it came on the heels of 2 9/10 games.

I eonder if they finally redesign Bowser for this series. He rocked his great classic look for a while, I'm sure they can't have that.

I kind of don't see SS being anywhere on that level. Same with CS.

>"It's a ok game but its not a "x game"

>not wanting new ideas
SPM wasn't like SS with completely idiotic concepts, it was a solid spinoff

How many times have you made this post now instead of bringing up any real points? It's gotta be in the hundreds.

The worst thing is people will actually believe thiskind of posts.

OP, here me out pretty well. Play the game. And realize by yourself how good it is. Don't ever think parrotting stuff like that will make you look smart.

>it didn't play just like the other ones! :'(
Cry more. The gameplay was fine, the 2D/3D mechanic was unique, the characters were colorful and the story was one of the best Nintendo has ever written. Super Paper Mario is by no means a bad or even mediocre game, and the only reason some people give it that reputation is that their wanting it to be exactly like its predecessors.

>he hasn't been in any previous paper mario threads
i guess i don't blame you

There's nothing to bring up in this case. It's not a traditional paper mario game by any stretch of the imagination. It's an ok Mario game but it's not paper mario, neither is sticker star, and neither will color splash be. Color splash looks to take more influences but they're still in spinoff territory.

Fans do not want a spinoff, they dont want super paper, they dont want sticker star. There is no argument or rebuttal to be had here, it's end of story.

Pic for incoming defense tactic thats always used.

Only stupid children think the story in SPM is deep or good. Bad guy wants to destroy the world because girlfriend died and we're suppossed to feel bad about it? how bout no

>All these conflicting opinions
>Bringing up arguments when it was first revealed
>Realize people got ass mad over this game the same as any other

When it came out I was overjoyed. Ecstatic. I watched this guy do Let's Plays of the first level over and over because I was too poor to get it on release. The game was my life for a month. It was so fun. Like all the Paper Mario games before it, so very very fun. Why did I have to grow up

which is why Paper Mario is doing so well now, right? trying out all those neat, non-gimmicky things?

You're an idiot, and you're making the people who like SPM look bad.

This isn't a previous paper mario thread, focus on wat's going on now instead of vaguely referring to what someone might have said a long time ago.

I don't think it deserves the praise it gets.
The fights are boring thanks to Pixls and anyone who isn't Mario being too well-equipped against everything+doing ridiculous damage. The platforming is barebones and unsatisfying. Environments range from okay to absolutely barren to fit the flipping mechanic.

The story manages to be more cliche than TTYD's "ancient evil awakens" and the majority of the new character designs are ugly. It tries too hard to make you feel sympathy for the weak villain and Dimentio isn't even a decent twist.
Also, someone sat on Paper Mario.

It's not hated but it's not liked nearly as much as the first two because it was a completely different genre.

SPM still has the best soundtrack and writing in any Mario RPG though, it was fun at times but it was also way too easy as a platformer.

If they really wanted to abandon the turn based RPG aspect of Paper Mario, I would much rather they followed what they did with this game because it didn't waste your time with a shitty combat system. It's a good game just don't think you're getting a sequel to TTYD.

Good thing we're talking about SPM and not those games, eh?

alright newfag

>Asks what an opinion of the game is
>Give opinion without resorting to exaggeration and buzzwords
>YOUR OPINION SUCKS PLAY THE GAME
Great thread OP

Pedophile.

best mario games
>super mario 3
>super mario world
>galaxy 1 and 2

what

i'm in an entirely separate thread but this couldn't be more relevant

>>tries out new, gimmicky things
Did you forget TTYD's origami mechanics?

>the only real relation to the previous games is they're paper
And the 3D flip ability?

And by previous games you should only mean TTYD.
Because 64 barely ever referenced anything being paper, even in its original name, Mario's Story.
It was only in TTYD and on that the Paper Mario games really began to throw it in your face that everything is paper.

Not him but it was a equally baseless claim as yours.

How is the writing good? The game just smells it's own farts majority of the time. Is Mario writing that's self aware about how fucking awful parts of the game are good writing now?

just trying my best to defend a game i like

>saying it has the best writing in a series is the same as saying the writing's really good.

The TTYD curses were just an extention of what was already established by partner abilities in Paper Mario 1

>implying i'm not into loli

I'm OP. I've played the game before, and I thought it was good, but it also has its flaws. If this user here is talking about the 64 and TTYD, then he's kind of not wrong about those two games being more superior than SPM. To me, SPM is definitely the weakest of the PM games, but nowhere a really bad game, however.

Just cause you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a fact.

>Ttyd fags think it's Other M levels of cancer

Ttyd fag here and I disagree. The first three games are all great, although the third isn't quite as replayable if you ask me.

TTYD slightly > PM slightly > SPM

Having good taste in 2D=\= pedophilia my friend

fair point

That doesn't change the fact that they're gimmicks.
Even then, only one of them, Sushie's ability, was reused for the curses.

He's not the OP, I am and even I find him to be delusional.

It's a Pyrrhic victory

Dude, you can hate the game all you want, but no need to go hostile for someone likes it.

Man, this series got worse and worse after super Mario rpg came out (not including the superstar saga). Damn I regret my paper Mario tattoo.

He died in the tanker 2 years ago

OP here, and basically this.
Also, I'm not familiar with most anons here but who is this Oakland guy here? I kind of see him almost in every paper mario thread bashing on SPM like there's no tomorrow.

1. Paper Mario
2. Thousand Year Door
3. Super Star Saga
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Bowser's Inside Story
6. Partners in Time
7. Dream Team
8. Paper Jam
9. Sticker Star

If we shoehorn in SPM to fit, it would be just below RPG.

Then why SS in there?

Same thing that is bad about pokemon:its stale. The first game was unexpected was new characters and enemies. now its just a new gimmick with slower fights.I don't want another Paper Mario game either.

Because it's more of an RPG than Super Paper Mario...kind of? I mean, it pretends to be one more anyway. Thought about not including it.

#4?! Impossible.

I think it's unique and it doesnt bother me.

Meh, makes sense I guess.

I wanna fuck Mimi

Oh shit, I'm late. Usually I try to be timely when schooling faggots
youtube.com/watch?v=q8mfd2IY9S8

yeah me too

...which form? There's a significant difference.

Who wouldn't?

I replay both SPM and TTYD about once a year. Overall I think TTYD is a better game but SPM has way less backtracking and is a little faster paced

They're technically not gimmicks, they aren't a promotion point for the game.

I'm not picky.

>Is it one of the most hated game or is it just very polarizing?

The second one TTYD are the same cancer as Blue and Red are to Pokemon or Melee to Smash

At first i give it a chance as a platformer.
I hate the gameplay for being really easy and the mimi chapter sucked for the just run to get a lot of rupees.

I feel bad for using a guide but i was really boring for the second chapter.

Also the history is one of the best on the paper mario series.

Take it or not as an spin off is a good game if you quit the mentality that every Paper Mario is an RPG

its amazing how many people still think that you have to run at all for the rupees

Even with the cheat code for the bunch of rupees it was a tedious task that bored really quick

For some reason I find Superstar saga to be the best one too, even when I go back to it without nostalgia goggles its just the most charming.
>no long tutorials to slog through, game has a nice difficulty curve
>game felt most like an RPG in the franchise, items/badges were useful
>new kingdom, new villains that aren't bowser
>an actual world map to traverse with secrets found by backtracking
>no absurdly long animations on attacks (although you could go infinitely on some bros moves)
It just felt the most organic and didn't have any real gimmicks to it

wtf are you talking about in the chapter theres a way to get to the vault with all the rupees you need