How do we revive the Mech genre?

How do we revive the Mech genre?

Also, what are some upcoming mech games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OC2lsZU_Y4A
youtube.com/watch?v=dlj3cLQHhy4
indiegogo.com/projects/dual-gear-tactical-action-turn-based-mecha-game-steam#/
youtube.com/watch?v=LHrp1wYWkXA
youtube.com/watch?v=6ApQ6TVhEu0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1StVDRxtM
gamestand.net/Downloads/details/id=8.html
youtu.be/nm76b8tzzWI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Chromehounds 2.

I want a new Mech Commander. Thanks.

New Front Missions please. Even if they got the FE treatment I don't care. Just more Front Mission.

>how do we save the mech genre
by making a new mechwarrior game with a campaign
youtube.com/watch?v=OC2lsZU_Y4A

Speaking of chromehounds 2, what is the name of that kickstarter game that is supposed to be exactly that?

Is HAWKEN still a thing?

I remember when it started out it was promising but then they added a bunch of dumb shit made it suck

that feel when hawken failed

M.A.V.

when VR widely adopted

perfect for mechs

I want to play with joystick + throttle + pedals

ded

MWO is the only """""good and/or hardcore""""" Mech game still up and going

Titanfall is casual trash

What game is this?

>Even if they got the FE treatment I don't care. Just more Front Mission.

that shit just crash during some on foot mission, impossible to keep going I'm so fucking mad

Lolis piloting giant robots with laser swords going at sanic speed.

Minus the lolis and with guns and bazookas and shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=dlj3cLQHhy4

Add tanks.

Sounds like Eva-tier trash

Harebrained is making Battletech game that actually looks fun and promising. New heavy gear is also being made

Tanks are usually canon fodder in mecha games unless they are used as supersized stationary snipers

Isn't From working on a new Armored Core?
Hopefully, this one turns out good.

Invading PGI's offices and giving everyone on their payroll a hard smack on the gob every quarter hour until they release the Mechwarrior IP from their grubby hands would be a good start

No, that was just a bad rumor.

Large maps with a lengthy single player story and heavy emphasis on customization and weapon loadouts and mod friendly to encourage unofficial maps and missions.

Ideally include regular ground vehicles and FPS gameplay so that, as the pilot, you have to not only pilot your mech but get to it and manually climb it. Imagine scaling a catwalk to get into your Timber Wolf while the base is under attack. Maybe even add breaching gear so one could steal other mechs or assassinate pilots if your mech was scrapped.

Yes please god give it to me.

This.

Also madcat mk III is best cat.

what if they make a D.va spinoff mech game and get all the blizzardfags to buy it?

The lolis are crucial to the plot. And obviously the mechs have a fully realized ranged arsenal too.

Sir, this is a revive Mech genre thread not a monkey's paw thread please see yourself out I don't want to consider that future.

Armored Core exclusive to PC with no hardware limitations

Don't hold your breath, it's nothing but Souls successor games coming out of FromSoft from now on (with the abominable fanbase in tow)

>it still resembles an early xbox 360 game cause FROM can't code for shit

Balanced was fucked, they could never figure out how to make it right. Then they tried to make comp a thing and turned out the balance for that was even more fucked than regular multiplayer.

Techs were legitimately a terrible idea.

>weapons run out of ammo twice as fast due to 60fps

something like War Thunder or World of Tanks but set during the One Year War of the Gundam franchise

This reminds me of the Front Mission games

indiegogo.com/projects/dual-gear-tactical-action-turn-based-mecha-game-steam#/

I'd buy that shit.

too bad Bandai doesn't know how to make money from the western market

Bring back Krazy Ivan.

>How do we revive the Mech genre?
You pull the Mechwarrior license from Microsoft. They're making sure PGI burns any goodwill with the big robot genre.

MW5 nao.

Fuck off pedophile

I'm writing a dumb mech story about a group of dumb mercs who get mixed into a war between two alien races. They take a few jobs from both sides and then run away with the money.
And yes, I know I'm a faggot, thank you in advance.

Giant Gundam-sized mechs like Armored Cores are stupid and impractical. You need gigantic hangar bays and a complete team of technicians to maintain it and an abundance of resources just for fuel, parts, and ammo. Imagine how big a single bullet from a Zaku's machine gun has to be. It's probably as large as a car.

The Wanzers of Front Mission are better. They're only like 20 feet tall. You still have the same sort of issues needing a hangar/warehouse to house and maintain them, but it's much more reasonable for people without entire crew teams and abundant resources. It's fairly believable that a small rag-tag group of rebels can maintain them on a shoe-string budget.

Let's go even smaller. I want to see mech games revived with mechs the size of MGSV's D-Walkers. This niche is fantastic because it's at a scale where a guy in a D-Walker versus a group of soldiers on foot with machine guns is a fair fight and the D-Walker can sneak around and make for much more dynamic and varied gameplay rather than just fighting with gigantic mechs out in the open and hoping there is a huge building to hide behind.

A modern D-Walker type mech game that is 100% customizable with satisfying gameplay against other D-Walker type mechs and dudes with machine guns and rocket launchers would be the best game.

You know how the saying goes user

no dick no click

when is that mechwarrior strategy game that got like 6 million shekels from kikestarter coming out? have they shown any progress on it yet?

vr

From Software will probably make another AC or maybe even Tenchu. The president said they were stepping away from Souls for abit and are going to make a new franchise. It will probably be an Armored Core successor and not really a sequel.

What about smaller mech suits? Think Samus from Metroid, only the suit is maybe twice as big.

They've shown some early gameplay footage of it but I personally can't wait to find out how PGI will corrupt it

They can't be letting the team use models from MWO without some kinda plan to profit

My dream games is a game with mech fighting hand to hand with wieghted movement.
Fuck mech with guns , it makes no sense.
Kinda like how battles in Pacific rim where.
add boosters for mad rammings.

what?

Where can I get this when you're done? Sounds interesting. You got a website or a twitter?

Theres gameplay on youtube. So far its set to release next year. The devs do amas every month on twitch

see and youtube.com/watch?v=LHrp1wYWkXA

You say that like it's a bad thing.

When I'm done, I'll probably put the whole thing in a pastebin and post it in a random thread here on Cred Forums. Probably won't be done for a while because I tend to scrap ideas too much due to thinking my writing is garbage.

D-Walker and human sized mecha are stupid because you might as well just be wearing a le cawadooty exoskeleton at that point. Giant mecha are more interesting because environmental strategy is directly impacted by their size. Even in Gundam the mobile suits don't get enormous until the transformables in Zeta. They're giant but are only still around 60 feet in height.

Sounds good user, I'll keep an my eyes open for some random pastebin in a random thread.

Don't give up, every sentence you write makes you a better writer. Just got to stick with it. Getting other people to read your stuff is a good way to improve, they might be more critical but you can learn more without your own biases affecting your opinion on your work.

Question

Would you play a VR game where you sit inside a cockpit of a large MechWarrior style mech with a big physical control panel and everything that corresponds to the game as well as seat rumblers to help give a feel of immersion?

i cant take this seriously with a commercial like that

you had me at cockpit

wagglan shit

I don't know, user. VR isn't very appealing to me. I find it almost as obnoxious as the 3D gimmick movies keep trying to push.

Miyazaki and From are revitalizing Armored Core and the Titanfall 2 tech test was fun, a little different from TiF1, but I really liked the battery economy once I got used to it.

Never ever.

Fuck yeah, the more hardware the better.

Oh right that game where mechs felt like they had zero weight and you could just zoom around the map like you where playing counter strike.

>pc exclusive

Mechwarrior is one of the few games that I feel needs more and more hardware to do really well. It also works really, really well with a joystick.

What's this? Looks amazing

>tfw MWO critically crashes often due to factory OC'd card because devs are incompetent as hell

On that note, does anyone have a good place to download Missionforce Cyberstorm? Someone made a Vista and above fix for the game and wanting to play it again. Same for the old Mechwarrior games if anyone remembers.

It could be a fun game on its own, but if you're proposing a "suit mech" game along the lines of a Front Mission or Armored Core game, it doesn't sound satisfying to me.

There's only so much customization that you can possibly do with a Ironman / Varia Suit-type thing and those suits tend to emphasize just running and flying around fast, which isn't bad in itself, but mech games grounded in reality is something I think we're hungering for. They need to be heavy and somewhat clunky.

Yeah, but try to imagine this perfect game where you're a lone mechanic. You're one guy who works on his machine between missions. If we try to stay within the bounds of reality, one guy can only do so much and I think this type of realism would be really alluring if meshed into a game that is fun and satisfying to play and you can customize this car-sized mech however you wanted. Again, and think of all the places that a small mech can fit into, while your Gundam can only fight out in cities on the roads, open fields, and ridiculously large underground tunnels. That's fucking Front Mission's levels in a nutshell right there.

youtube.com/watch?v=6ApQ6TVhEu0

guess what's still in development? :Y

>Miyazaki
>self hating animu guy working for robutts
I don't habeeb it, user.

games where you control a vehicle are the most suited to vr since you're actually sitting down the entire time.

user, armored cores are about half the size of a normal gundam (RX-78 is 60ft, an AC4 AC roughly 32ft). They're actually smaller than wanzers in the ACV games. Just want to clear that up.

Agreed, Mechwarrior gives off a realistic sorta feeling towards it in the settings as well as how it plays since there not flashy anime robots or cars with turrets on them, they offer a nice middle ground in my opinion, so it fits well with more hardware to make immersion much more fun

People say that, but I've never been able to feel really proud of my work. I just feel like my stuff is awful and even if people say they like it, it just makes me think they're pitying me.
I also keep trying to write this one fantasy story, but every time I try to write it, my mind fucks me over and I end up just running on with vastly different ideas. I've had the story almost completely worked out in my head, but actually writing it down is a nightmare.

if you wanted to stay in the bounds of reality you'd play War Thunder. Mechs are inherently dumb because bipedal and multipedal vehicle designs aren't as reliable as wheels or treads. It gets even worse when human pilots are included in the mix. The closest thing I can think of would be the Boston Dynamics robots, but they aren't meant to have human pilots and they have extremely limited range.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1StVDRxtM

Seriously, this game needs to be revived

They already have those at some higher end arcades like at Disney.
I don't like the idea because then when other people wanna play and use it I gotta make sure all the cumstains are cleaned up

Yes, user, there's no other Miyazaki in the world. You sure got it right.
You fucking moron

>inb4 AC: Last Raven Remastered HD Alliance/Vertex edition DLC
If only

VR was made for cockpits, if it takes off I want nothing but exquisite tank, jet, space fighter, and mecha games.

Virtual On would actually work really well with the Vive controller if you used them as fake sticks. The button/symmetrical handles layout is perfect.

>cars with turrets on them
In the tabletop and books there are. Infamously, DC had a small squad of like five people kill a high ranking admiral with what is basically a jeep with a flamethrower attached to it, a truck full of oil and a rocket launcher.

You know that bit in 08th MS Squad where the rebels in the jungle take out a gundam using a rocket launcher and vines? That event is probably what inspired it.

Sure. Why not.

I'm new to the mech genre, is this game good?

MWO is pretty good desu, but its a farcry from MW2

There's a tabletop game and general for Battletech on /tg/ for anyone interested.

>Imagine how big a single bullet from a Zaku's machine gun has to be. It's probably as large as a car.
You have absolutely no sense of the size of things do you

Also we FUCKING PORT BORDER BREAK TO PC FUCK. Sega and their xenophobia.

Did anyone get a chance to play the Dreadnaught dlc for SpaceMarine?

That was so satisfying.

Been a Mechwarrior fan since I was a kid.
Can't find a torrent for mechcommander. But Ill keep looking. For some reason I could never get into #2 the same way I loved 1.

Macross X Ace Combat

Childhood confirmed to be blase. Did not experience.

From Soft has confirmed their next game is an Armored Core game.

wonder how the whole jump to turn mechanic would work in vr

its an average fps, prob better than most things today though

Arm Slaves from FMP are literally the perfect size 8-10 meters

Something like Gundam Battle Operation, but multiplatform and without the stupid energy system would be a great start.
Being able to leave your mobile suit and fight on foot, set up traps, and hijack enemy suits was fantastic.

>awhile back hear about some new battletech project
>get excited thinking it's going to be Mechwarrior 5, hoping for some big ass conflict like clan wars or something since the games seem to deal with smaller conflicts
>it's just a fucking turn based game

I was so fucking pissed that I've installed Heavy Gear 2, MW3, 4, and Mercenaries and am playing through them all right now. Why would you take a series where it feels so good to pilot the mechs and strip it all away.

MWO feels pretty dull too. Is the faction play even worth it? Do the maps or modes change at all? I've only tried the quick play and winning and losing doesn't feel any different to me. Most matches end up with all the mechs hiding behind cover taking potshots like some sort of trench war until a couple die on one side then it's just a rush. Maybe that's the map design, but mechs hardly ever fight in open fields like in 3 and 4, and they feel squishy as fuck, so if you do fight in the open you die.

It's more an fps than a mech sim type game, but I enjoyed it. Weapons are still fun and satisfying though.

Wheres the idols

Its an FPS where you control a mech. Its fun, though.

Gross

Fuck that slow shit.

I vote for Armored Core 6 Answer

>it's just a fucking turn based game
IT went back to its original source.

Each VF gets its own ai idol who sings when you do well and pouts when you do not.

its called mav and its so dead that it was removed from steam

>How do we revive the mecha genre?
Tell nips to stop hogging all the mecha games and releasing them only in japanese

underrated

>You can choose which idol you want to provide a navigation/battle update/etc. voice for you
>You can change them as you want

There's an IS machine about 2 hours from where I live. Its pretty fun.

>There's an IS machine about 2 hours from where I live. Its pretty fun.
Lucky.

mechcommander is abandonware, you can find DDL .isos fairly easily

>Would you play a VR game where you sit inside a cockpit of a large MechWarrior style mech with a big physical control panel and everything that corresponds to the game as well as seat rumblers to help give a feel of immersion?
Yes. VR in my opinion, at least for the near future, has much more limited application to games in general then a lot of the industry seems to think. Some genres just aren't a natural fit, and there are nausea and other human psychology issues to deal with too for some of them.

But a large MechWarrior or Steel Battalion style game is one of the few that I think is actually genuinely a really fucking good match for VR, even as it exists right now, because the limits match up really well. You're enclosed in a big, deliberately paced vehicle with constrained vertical movement. That sort of thing is much much less motion sickness inducing even compared to other "cockpit" games like a flight or space sim. You've got a very clear horizon and points of reference rather then full 3D degrees of freedom. Limits on FOV and looking around can also perfectly well fit the setting. Combined with a good controller setup and I think it could work a lot more naturally.

Of course by the same token it's more niche, but then again for now so is VR so I don't consider that a deal breaker. It would require some significant investment in something that hasn't had any real funding behind it for a while now and isn't the current hotness.

>it's a fucking turn based game

you're everything wrong with nu-Cred Forums

literally no good mech customization games on Steam

Also for those of you who never got a chance to see one in person, this is what the SB controller was. It wasn't perfect and insanely niche but to this day I'm still impressed by it and kind of sorry I didn't get one like a friend did, it was a pretty wild thing to try to do. I wish SB had been successful enough to justify a sequel or even a trickle of DLC, because if the controller's cost had been amortized across more content it might actually have attracted a somewhat bigger audience.

VR might have room for this sort of thing right now though if it was done well enough due to how high priced the entire venture is right now anyway. Someone dropping multiple grand on a whole setup might be a lot more willing to add $150-250 on a crazy controller too if the game(s) that went with were awesome enough.

Thanks for the confidence boost

Found it

gamestand.net/Downloads/details/id=8.html

I encourage you guys to DL it if you don't mind older games.

Plus, it had real people in it. Great shit.

>Why would you take a series where it feels so good to pilot the mechs and strip it all away.
Because they're making a Battletech game

Mech=/= mecha

This is Siren, can anyone confirm that new contact?
>*jumps around*

This actually. VR is good for cockpit simulators, so simulate a mecha cockpit.

I can dig it, mehc games are about the only thing I would enjoy with VR

>VR is good for cockpit simulators, so simulate a mecha cockpit.
VR might even be better in some ways for a western-style mech cockpit vs air/space.

Oh yeah, you'd probably vomit from that since you rotate to face them in less than half a second. Every five seconds or less.

youtu.be/nm76b8tzzWI

A core IS 8-10 meters in height. Where the hell are you pulling out Kaiju size numbers from? The ones that are 5m can wall jump for christ sakes.

By adding more cute mech-girls. Overwatch is the proof that people will buy anything if you add waifus to it.

>people will buy anything if you add waifus to it.
This is so sad.

There are waifus in Armored Core, we just never see them beside their ACs and emblems. You can bet they are going to shove in a cute girl VA in the next armored core game somewhere and have a Sieglinde character again.

Right.

It worked for Eva

will never get past the Beta

>tfw cant get mw3 to play on literally anything
I miss this game so much. Honestly thinking of building an xp machine with old hardware just to play it. I know everyone says to play 4 but its just not the same.

Any games with exosuits? I got back into doing survival runs in CoD:AW, that goliath suit feels great when its fully upgraded

winXP VM? Linux + Wine?

jesus

wtf man this is literally just the shape of boobs thrown onto a robot, why would anyone be turned on by this?

Why wouldn't you?

>From says they are stepping away from souls for a bit
>AC rumors start and everyone gets hyped for mecha
>it ends up being a hybrid and is basically Vision of Escaflowne
Can I dream about this, even if it's just for a moment?

Holy FUCK I miss Chromehounds.