What a load of shit

What a load of shit.

You're fat bro

You smell too

What is a man?

Yea it is shit. After mentioning a bunch of sci-fi authors who inspired them I expected to see a proper sci-fi game, not a generic garbage with tedious gameplay and entry level cloning shit.

It didn't help that I had just finished The Talos Principle and The Swapper prior to it.

WHAT IS MAN AND SOUL AND CONSCIOUSNESS AND HOW AND WHY AND BODY AND go fuck yourself. I feel like none of those games really made their respective philosophical questions in any way compelling.

It's great. Great story and atmosphere and a great ending.

I haven't got round to playing this yet, but I gather it's about cloning. Did they basically just steal the plot from Moon?

>playing western horror games
why would you do this to yourself

Game was mostly shitty. The abyss section was pretty good though.

Amnesia was the best horror game of last 10 years

The arg was good times though.

Talos principle did the whole robots are humans too thing a lot better in my opinion.

But i really liked the atmosphere in soma.

It's time to dump that stupid hide and seek stealth system though, i'm completely bored by it.

you were told bro

You mean the Sam Rockwell movie? No. The Swapper kinda did, though.

Forbidden Siren 2 was released 2006, so you are wrong

this

It doesn't feel like you have any kind of player agency in those types of games. Like, you can't play SOMA and be "good" at it

Hide and Seek is just put in the game because these are essentially walking simulators otherwise, and we know how the mainstream gaming community feels about those.

The Swapper was somewhat disturbing, decent game in general

I both liked and was annoyed by the fact that the main character was such a dumbass. Generally sci-fi settings take one of two approaches: either everyone is a dumbass, and needs things reduced to an every day metaphor to understand, or everyone is a master of technobabble and pretends to understand what's going on even if it makes no sense. This is the first time I came across a story where it is just the lead who is a drooling retard and needs to be talked to in terms of "flipping coins", even though the other character obviously understands that's not how it works.

It's something new.

Yeah, I have nothing against it. I loved the visuals and the atmosphere. I just thought the story was a bit too far up its own ass.

Why in the hell did they think the underwatee exterior zones would add to the overall horror experience?

>easy to get lost and lose immersion
>all look the same
>slow to explore

And it's such a shame, because the interiors are varied and unique, but the sea floor is a chore

>It's time to dump that stupid hide and seek stealth system though, i'm completely bored by it.
Probably the worst aspect of SOMA. I'm not even against it on principle, I just felt like they implemented it exceptionally poorly in this one. You didn't even really have to "hide". You could mostly just look away.

Main character wasn't so much of a dumbass, as he just didn't want to accept his situation. He knew deep down what had happened and what was going on, but the entire game was about his perception gradually changing to adapt to his new environment

You can see that by how in the beginning, he saw himself as human, but half-way in, once he was told how he was a robot, his body changes to that of a robot

I thought Soma was a fun game. It got too hyped though and whenever anything gets to be too hyped, it will always let people down. Which is why we'll never get Half Life 3 because it will never live up to the expectations heaped upon it

The Abyss was good though. Especially is you have any kind of phobia associated with deep water.

This. Not having to actually hide from monsters just straight destroys the game

I'm about to reach the abyss,don't fucking tell me it's a real big underwater zone

He wasn't stupid, he just couldn't accept the reality he found himself in.

It is.

The difference being it's fucking dark down there.

On the real tip, what is the coin toss about? obviously that's not how it works and she just said it to him because he is a retard but why did it work when he transferred the second time?

I understand in the perspective of other people that the consciousness do not transfer but in his own perspective, it does

I understand it's probably something like when he wakes up on the arc, he just believes he was incredibly lucky 4 times but it's not how it works

Thanks, Frictional Games, I guess

It didn't work. You're playing the game from the perspective of Simon #3.

You pretty much nailed it. Calling it a coin toss is retarded. If you're the one reading this post right now, then you'll lose the coin toss when you copy yourself.

good post

The "coin toss" is just a figure of speech. It's all about the perspective.

Just put yourself in Simon #3 shoes- from his point of view, he already had his consciousness transferred twice and still came out on top.

> If you're the one reading this post right now, then you'll lose the coin toss when you copy yourself.
This is kind of wrong. Your copy would remember reading this post just as much as the real you would.

Soma is on my Steam wish list, but I'm not paying $30. I figure it is a $6.73 buy.

That was my thought, you always played the game as the 3rd copy

I see

yeah I figured, that's why I meant when I said in the perspective of Simon 4, he was just assume he always won the "toss"

arg was the most fun part about this game

>If you're the one reading this post right now, then you'll lose the coin toss when you copy yourself.
If I assume I'm going to lose then my copy would assume the very same.

The thing i, there is no such thnigs as "right now" in our brains. Memories are past only.

IT'S THE WEIGHT OF THE SEA

good retard. one of the very best.

Should try The Fall

It's pretty good as well

SOMA was good though
The monster bits were unnecessary as fuck but it was an enjoyable and compelling game

simon was a bitch, he should have manned up and worked with the wau to restart humanity

I hope you didn't do something as senseless as killing the WAU, Cred Forums.

Catherine did nothing wrong

What's the next game fictional is making? I thought SOMA was great conceptually, story wise and artistically as well as being thought provoking

could've been a tiny bit better in the gameplay department though

I've heard they're making another sci-fi game

you're right, her colleagues were a bunch as asses though, talking mad trash to her all the time and then ultimately killing her

funny what she thought about her colleagues

>WAU has improved its human-producing process to the point where Simon is completely physically and mentally sound
>Ross still wants to destroy it
Bitter or just stupid?

>he should have manned up and worked with the wau to restart humanity
This.

If WAU was able to produce Simon, a mockingbird that was pretty much a fully fuctional human, it could make more Simon-tier mockingbirds.

The surface could be repopulated with those successful mockingbirds with different personalities. After all, they wouldn't need to worry about it being uninhabitable for normal humans.

cool, I feel like they did that a lot better

People forget that he had brain damage even before being copied to data and downloaded into a rotting cyborg corpse.

Obssesed and mentally damaged.

The guy is a fucking reanimated corpse. Give him some slack.

Amnesia is one of the most overrated games I've ever played.

>It's so scary, bro!

yeah, it's scary, but it's absolutely AWFUL in terms of gameplay and the environments are all really square shaped, it feels like something made with a console-tier level creator.

Those two criticisms in mind, would I like Soma? Horror isn't a genre I'm really in to, but Alien Isolation is probably my favourite horror game, followed by RE4.

>Those two criticisms in mind, would I like Soma?
No.

>followed by RE4
Let's be honest, RE4 is not much of a horror game.

A miserable little pile of secrets.

The game would have really been good without the 2deep4me narration.

I find it entertaining how they tried to present killing the one hope for any life on Earth as a good thing because of muh feelings.

>RE4 isn't much of a horror game

I agree, that's probably why I actually liked it, but by comparison to say Dead Space (Which is inarguably NOT horror) you're just vulnerable and ineffective enough in combat that I would say it qualifies as being horror-lite.

There wasn't any 2deep4me narration

They did try to present it as a "good thing". It's a choice.

All choices in SOMA are "mercy killing vs. living and suffering" dilemmas.

A "What is life?" narration then.

There wasn't any narration period

>did
didn't*

The WAU wasn't really hurting anything. You already euthanized pretty much everyone it uploaded into computers at that point and it's running out of shit to upload them into.

At the point you get to the WAU core, it's just infecting sea life.

Well, both RE4 and Dead Space are survival horrors.

I would say that most recent survival horros are simply action games with resource managment and thin layer of horror. Not that there is anything bad with it though, it's just different.

What about all those people chained to walls by organs being forced to breathe?

Dead Space was horror until 3.

>survival horror

They're more survival action with minor horror elements.

Silent Hill 1-3 and Resident Evil games before 4 are better examples of true survival horror.

10/10 atmosphere and sound
good story

hide and seek aspect was only fun for the one monster that could actually run you down and the teleporting one. i dont even consider this game horror at all though, it seems like people went into expecting dead space underwater and got mad when it was just an exploration game.

>The WAU wasn't really hurting anything.
It was creating conscious beings that were in eternal suffering.

>You already euthanized pretty much everyone it uploaded into computers at that point and it's running out of shit to upload them into.
Not true. You didn't explore the whole complex, not to mention those vegetable-like humans that you couldn't interact with.

>At the point you get to the WAU core, it's just infecting sea life.
Why do you think that? It probably would keep making new mockinbirds if not destroyed.

That said, I didn't destroy it. But the dilemma is still there.

It's a lore contrivance to explain how you swap bodies into the deep sea suit.

That's why I said "recent".

You already kill her by that point. You're talking about the chick you have to unplug to start the tram right? By the end of the game, there's no one left for the WAU to unintentionally torture. The most it would do if you left it "alive" would be manufacture some more Simon tier mockingbirds with what little resources were left in the stations before they all collapsed from wear and tear and the ocean took them back.

Also you destroy the facility's power entirely when you launch the satellite. The WAU may not need that necessarily, but to create anything else it does.

Slightly heavy handed with the point of the game. Definitely could have been handled more tactfully. Still a really good game

Soma has a really fascinating concept and I think it probably would have made a good movie or book, not so much a game though. The whole running from monsters thing felt really forced and cumbersome at times and Simon's utter idiocy, brain damage or not, made him insufferable.

Simon was a fucking retard and he killed computer waifu by being too stupid

I SEEEE

> You're talking about the chick you have to unplug to start the tram right?
No, he's talking about all those people plugged to walls. You encounter about a dozen of them.

>IT'S THE WEIGHT OF THE SEA
>Terry Akers relentlessly beating that one guy like his arms are wet noodles and then screaming awkwardly before getting KO'd by a half-assed takedown
>everything else
i appreciate the effort they put into that miniseries but holy fuck did they have no quality control whatsoever

DO YOU SEE

shut up weeb faggot

it's so lonely down here user
won't you keep me company

The WAU created Robo-Simon, it was doing something good for once.

The ark was just a hippie feel good device, but utterly pointless.

>perhaps some ET will find our digitized consciousness in there
really faggots?

I disagree. It's been too long since I played 1, but I played 2 last year and it wasn't scary. It's startling with all it's jump scares accompanied by loud music but you're far too much of a badass for it to be horror. I treated it more like a 3rd person shoot/action game and enjoyed it as such.

I tried to play it but it was pretty boring. Maybe it will become better later.

Guaranteed everyone on the ark will go insane before its 100th anniversary. I can't even stand the idea of a static, inescapable virtual world.

It was a horror for the first hour in first Dead Space.

After that point, it was jut a fun action game with gore and cheap jump scares.

I disliked the inclusion of monsters and chase scenes. Not because they were scary, they weren't, but because they didn't really add anything to the game and just felt tacked on because it was amnesia but underwater. I was mostly irritated with them. If any game would have benefited from being a walking simulator this one would have been it.

That being said I saw the plot coming from a mile away. I still liked it. My only issue with it was when she talked about it being a coin flip in whether it was your consciousness being transferred. Wouldn't it always be another consciousness being transferred since it's just creating a copy? There isn't a coin flip you would never be the transferee.

I need an audio webm of that takedown scene, it's so terribad, I love it

>My only issue with it was when she talked about it being a coin flip in whether it was your consciousness being transferred.

You missed an important aspect of character dynamics. Catherine is an aspie and Simon is an idiot. He used the coin flip analogy because he couldn't understand what was going on, she latched on to it in a bungling, but ultimately successful, attempt to manipulate him into doing her bidding.

> My only issue with it was when she talked about it being a coin flip in whether it was your consciousness being transferred. Wouldn't it always be another consciousness being transferred since it's just creating a copy? There isn't a coin flip you would never be the transferee.
It's just a figure of speech.

See

Nah fuck you. That game is a shooter with fringe horror elements. You can tell it's just a jumpscare fest 20 minutes in, after the third zomb.. I mean necromorph jumps at you.

Dead Space was a lot like Doom 3 in third person to me.

>it wasn't scary.
That's not the criterion for something being horror, though. You may not find the original Mummy movie scary, for example, but it's still a horror flick.

I liked the blind monster that you had to navigate around very closely while not making noise

That was tense, actually difficult and actually impeded your objective in a dynamic way. Every other monster encounter is just "welp here's a monster and a hallway get to the end of the hallway"

I thought exploring the sunken ship with the disco-head was pretty cool