Is this really the masterpiece that people say it is?

Is this really the masterpiece that people say it is?

Does it deserve a playthrough?

It's honestly not, it is quite overhyped. That being said it most definitely deserves a playthrough

7 was better.

Nowadays I don't think I would call it that but back when it came out it was.

It's pretty average. It had a huge surge in popularity when VII was deemed too mainstream.

VI > I > V > IV > II > III

skip the rest

i played it right after chrono trigger and thought it was a step down in every sense other than having deeper RPG mechanics - couldn't finish it.

>Is this really the masterpiece that people say it is?
Probably not.

>Does it deserve a playthrough?
Yes, absolutely.

ff1 is fucking horrible wtf

No idea if it can match the hype it has, but it absolutely is worth a playthrough.

Not even my favorite FF though. But way better than 7 for sure.

it was the first FF game i beat so im kind of biased.

1, 2, and 3 are all skippable. 5 arguably is too

It's pretty good. I'd say it is a great way to end the 2D era of Final Fantasy.

I'd say it might be a bit overrated by it's biggest fans, but it is probably underrated and underappreciated by Square Enix themselves. I don't think they even acknowledged it's 20th anniversary.

Agreed.

FFV is okay, it's just if you actually want cool abilities and shit you have to grind for them. Story was terrible and bored me to death, however.

No. Its just one of the few good games in a lackluster series.

Yes.

V is the only one before VI that's worth playing.

>lackluster series
Why is it so popular then? Not disagreeing or anything, just curious.

I would give all the early Final Fantasies a playthrough if only because of how easy it is to do so, with emulation and so many different versions out there.

Like, barring some of the off shoots like that one on the Gameboy, I would say just play all the Final Fantasies outside of 13. 13 is legitimately the only one I would say to pass on, if only because of how terrible it plays. None of the other Final Fantasies are 'bad.' They're just 'not as good' as . So, to answer you questions:

I thought it was decent, but no, this isn't the crown jewel of the series, if there even is one game that deserves such praise.
Yup. I remember sinking hours into this and being kind of surprised at how many things happened. More than a couple times I thought I was approaching the end of the game and it just kept going and added somewhere else to go.

FF series are probably the most polished and most well presented JRPG series.

Probably not, though it's still one of the best SNES games.

Yes. It's better than 7.

Not that user, but a lot of FF's popularity comes from the music, characters, and the fact that the games are incredibly easy (with a few exceptions).

Good, but it isn't Chrono Trigger tier.

>None of the other Final Fantasies are 'bad.'
VIII exists

My favorite game ever but that is entirely because of nostalgia. I taught myself how to read playing this game on my SNES. Sabin Rene Figaro is the biggest bro there is.

Love it but never was able to finish it since always got lost in the last dungeon and I'm too lazy/retard to figure it out or look for a walkthrough

is it true that the mobile version requires a internet connection? I wanted to go the easy route but I guess the emulator is the best option

FFVI is to easy, there's literally zero challenge to it

Final Fantasy as a series has one of the 5 biggest marketing campaigns in history. FFVII alone is still one of the 10 highest marketing budgets for a game.

That aside, its actually been losing general market appeal since the PS2 days. The games are selling less and less. Still millions, but not the crazy numbers it did on PS1 and PS2.

>FF series are probably the most polished and most well presented JRPG series.
Even FF fans will laugh at this.

Odd ass mechanics aside, I wouldn't call it bad. Just different. A 6.5/10, if anything. There are better Final Fantasies to play ( Everyone should play IX ) but I wouldn't criticize anyone for playing VIII and saying they liked it.

It's good. Not my favorite one or anything. But still worth playing.

Fucking Jap moot.

FFIII and II are hard.

anyone else agree?

Overhyped, its got genuinely good moments and does deserve a playthrough.

Yes

Yes, but play the brave new world romhack.

>Even FF fans will laugh at this.
Why would they? They put a lot of effort in presentation. The only RPGs that came close in their time were Enix's. FFs are full of minigames, complex cutscenes, mode 7 fuckery and they tried to have especially dramatic stories.

Short answer: yes.

Final Fantasy does put a ton into their presentation. But you also said they were the 'most polished' RPGs. Which even a FF fan would point out the games are full of gameplay and design issues. Not to mention even ardent FF fans hate half the games in the series.

More complex does not imply deeper. CT requires much greater mastery of its game mechanics to beat than FFVI does, which is incredibly fucking sad because CT is extremely easy.

kino
In other words, "overrated" to 2nd gen millenials and gen z

Nah, Skyrim is better. You're better off replaying Witcher 3.

>it's just if you actually want cool abilities and shit you have to grind for them.
Just play the fucking game normally and you'll still get the majority of them.

IX>IV>XII>IV>V>VII>VIII>X>XII>III>I>II

>having IV that high
nice overrated memeshit xD

I skipped the majority of random battles which is probably why I ended up having to do some grinding. Seriously, these older FF games are so fucking slow they make me want to fall asleep god damn

Seconded. The original game may have a better translation but its gameplay is markedly inferior to the point where I will never play vanilla again.

Yeah, the games are buggy, too. When I said polished, I meant mostly on the presentation front.

Having said that, I really like some of FF's game design. Element system is really strong. Status ailments are really strong. Bosses that have special gimmicks or strategies. Classes with wildly different skills (even if utterly unbalanced). I don't consider these games my favorites, but I feel this thread isn't giving them the recognition they deserve, either. They focused a lot on being fun and interesting, even if at the cost of balance.

>Seriously, these older FF games are so fucking slow
What the fuck are you talking about?

I dont want to spend 30 seconds staring at a god damn battle screen

>They focused a lot on being fun and interesting, even if at the cost of balance.
And that's what usually makes them totally unfun for me. You don't have to have a perfectly balanced game, but I fucking hate games where playing it is more like navigating a minefield of shitty trap options and options that destroy the game.

Then don't play RPGs.

yes
but being a masterpiece doesn't mean you'll automatically enjoy it
Citizen Kane is a masterpiece but only really appeals to people interested in the zeitgeist of the 30's/40's

I liked Skyrim tho

4 should be in the 2nd spot and 12 should be below 7
otherwise good taste

I meant for VI for the second place, not IV

It's one of those games that I enjoyed a lot as a kid but now I don't have patience. I can't stand the random battles and turn based combat of old FFs.

Not him, but most JRPGs aren't as slow as Final Fantasy. I can initiate, pick attacks and finish a fight in a typical Dragon Quest game before the loading animation ends in any Final Fantasy after VI.

>IX that high
Enjoy losing every other fight

>I can initiate, pick attacks and finish a fight in a typical Dragon Quest game
The DS remakes aren't typical Dragon Quest games.

It still works even in the original versions. Any game from DQI-VII are first person and have pretty much instant attack/no loading screen.

DQVIII and IX are a little slower, but still faster than FF games. Especially FFIX.

I quite like it. Played it fully for the first time a few years ago. I like how there are strategies you can use to minimize the damage you take, even if that isn't all that of a requirement.

At one point you have to refind your party members and the game turns non linear and that is by far my favorite point in the game. It's where I stopped, just like how I used to do it all the time with FF7. I really enjoy that. Reaching the end game but not finishing it.

no

yes

in that order.

it's very good, but not "da best"

I don't like it very much and don't understand the hype.

>Everyone should play IX
9 has a very linear and restricted leveling system, and I feel the combat is somewhat slow, especially considering the ps1 loading. By far the most addictive FF though, and it has the best world map, airship, and chocobo minigame, even if it isn't as interesting as the entire chocobo breeding process, it's less tedious.

I'd enjoy a more open way of playing the game.

I played it for the first time earlier this year and I loved it.

SNES version

It's good but I think it's overrated because it was a lot of people's first FF.

I know 9 can be restrictive (it's why I don't like 10, as well), but on the other hand, goddamn 12 has so much shit to do.

The OST is a masterpiece
The ensemble cast are probably the best in the entire series
The actual game is really nothing special, but it's solid

definitely worth a playthrough

The fuck? Try replaying the SNES or GBC remakes of III or SNES VI sometime soon. It's much slower than you remember it being.

No, its really not. It still only takes 10-20 seconds to have a battle.

The game with the longest battle time is DQIX. Because of the entirely useless running around after you select commands. The remakes for all the games are much faster. Even DQVII Remake, with text lag and visual animations, only takes 20 seconds a battle. In Final Fantasy IX, you'd still be waiting for the loading screen to pass.

I don't think so

I just finished it, and really I like how the story is just ever so slightly tweaked from the regular JRPG format. Instead of everyone beating the big bad with the power of love and friendship, the bad guy wins and then the actual game starts.

everything that's a game within it is braindead. You can just spam the same area attacks over and over again throughout hte whole experience, in fact it's the fastest way to get through it too. But if you can stomach it not being a game it has an alright story...just be prepared for hours upon hours of pointless random encounters where you not once mix up your strategy

It absolutely deserves a playthrough. It has beautiful 16 bit sprite graphics and maybe the best soundtrack in the franchise's 30 years.
The story is a lot like a Disney movie, it's enjoyable but they never make you think too hard. A lot of the things from this game were cliche when it came out and twenty years later, they have become more so.
The RPG mechanics are fun but the game doesn't really challenge you.
It came out before the Final Fantasy games started taking themselves too seriously and got all cringey (thanks FF8!), so it's an easy game to enjoy.
But yes, absolutely worth a play through. Wonderful game.

>skipping 9

>skipping the game Cred Forums memes the most about
Sounds like a good idea to me.

>FF6
>Polished
Dude, there were entire stats that didn't work. And there's Gau's bullshit. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I like the game a lot because of just how easy it is to break but it's far from polished.

Story wise: yes
Gameplay wise: no (just wait for your turn and select attack: the game)

These guys know the truth.

What about IV?

Oh come on. Occasionally you had to cast Bolt 2 or a summon. That's variety!

kek

This is a good thread to ask this:

What are the best 2d sprite rpgs to play. I got BoF3 because I heard the sprite art is some of the best.

I agree with this list completely

Legend of Mana, Sword of mana, Chrono Trigger

Are you looking for good spritework in a RPG, or looking for a good RPG which just happens to have spritework?

I'd say that Tactics Ogre are some of the best games I've enjoyed, for a variety of reasons. The sprites are fairly standard FFTA-quality but the sound and accompanying art is excellent, character interactions great, and different plot paths make the games very enjoyable to play.

Pic is from Breath of Fire, to avoid confusion. I'm also surprised you didn't pick up BoF4 instead, if you are going by recommendations.

Best ending in an RPG/10

Preferably the latter with a good rpg with spritework.

I wasn't rec'd BoF4, just 3 specifically. should I try 4 out instead? I'm assuming (with some certainty) that these are isolated stories.

Yes; yes. Chrono Trig has better gameplay but FF6 has a better plot.

3 is better and yes.

They are isolated stories, yes. There is a general idea that they all happen in the same world, but really nothing connecting them.

The problem is just that BoF3 is a bit lengthy and dull. Honestly, Breath of Fire always had the problem of being highly generic and grindy, with a few odd features to stand out. BoF3 began to buck the trend, but you'll still be spending large amounts of time just wandering from place to place and stomping through fights. BoF4 is apparently quite a bit better in the story department, although I've not played it myself.

I'd also agree with and recommend Legend of Mana, especially if you're the type of person who likes wandering around and exploring stuff. There are a ton of locations to wander around in, there's a strange set-up-the-world in how the game progresses, and you are always running into new quests and plotlines to follow up on. It's definitely fun, although fairly easy to get lost in.

Suikoden I-II
Seiken Densetsu 3 and Legend
Dragon Quest I-III
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma

This. The first half of FFVI is damn near a 10/10 experience. Once you hit the World of Ruin, everything falls apart and while it still has its great moments, the game becomes a lot more of a fucking chore trying to reassemble your party and grinding to get everyone to the point where you can tackle the final tower

>The first half of FFVI is damn near a 10/10 experience. Once you hit the World of Ruin, everything falls apart
Sounds like pretty much every FF game. Starts off with a great story and lots of gameplay. Then hits the 'plot twist' and everything you did before is pointless. And now its just hours of cutscenes with a few story based boss battles in between.

If you trust Cred Forums's opinion on anything you're an idiot.

I have never had a problem playing without internet. not sure where that rumor came from. people will bitch because of the graphical shortcuts the developer took with the mobile version, but the game looks fine, on an actual phone.

and given how much has been preserved or improved, I think a shitty overworld map is a pety thing to complain about

If I start a thread asking then yes, if I already ask in a thread filled with 2D rpg enthusiasts then why wouldn't I trust the recommendations. It all depends on where you ask and who you are asking. Cred Forums only has pleb taste in anime I've found (just cartoon network shit and nobody knows any directors and etc).

have you played the mobile version. its fucking $21 on the App Store! I want it, but... damn...

>this
I love the cast. it is probably one of the reason this FF still gets tons of fan art, year after year.

It's great until Kefka appears.

So like 3 minutes in.

VII is the only Final Fantasy that can be considered a masterpiece.

That's pretty bad for FF as a series since FFVII is a mess. As stated by its own creators.

This entire thread is shit, but this is the most laughable of them all. 4, 5, 6, and 9 are all better.

You get a 1 for effort.

samefag

?17 minutes for this

You think I'm refreshing every 5 seconds to see if a troll made a false samefag claim?

BoF 1 - 2 is where it's at, buddy, grindy or not