Felt laying replaying one of my favorite beat em ups last night

>Felt laying replaying one of my favorite beat em ups last night
>Bust out TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project
>Having a blast
>Defeat Super Shredder
>Turn off NES and put game on the shelf
>Look at game cover
>Triceratops shooting a laser and holding a Bowie knife

Who the fuck is this character? I'm positive he wasn't in the game. Was he originally supposed to be?

Also, Beat em up thread.

I could have sworn there was a triceratops in the cartoon at some point, but I could be wrong.

I thought so too, but I can't quite remember. He looks cool. I don't know why he wasn't in the game.

Wasn't his name like War or Armageddon or something?

I had to guess I'd say Triceratron and who ever drew the art didn't see the character he was just told what the charater is

I can imagine. All the developers of the game were Japanese, so I doubt they actually knew much about the franchise.

They went to Space in the comics and Triceratons were a thing

There were a bunch of triceratops in the cartoon, don't remember if there was a good one

Interesting. You go into space in the game. It's the last level and at the check point you fight a reused boss from earlier in the game (mother mouser). It makes me wonder if that boss was originally supposed to be a triceraton, but the developers ran out of time.

That would be my guess. Or the cover was just concept art that the slapped on the box last minute.

>and who ever drew the art didn't see the character he was just told what the charater is

The guy who drew it is Michael Dooney, one of Mirage's most prolific artists.

The easiest explanation is that Triceratons were planned but cut after he drew the cover.

And for the record, the Triceratons were in exactly ONE episode of the 87 cartoon. They were all evil.

>The guy who drew it is Michael Dooney, one of Mirage's most prolific artists.
Or they just recycled stock art they had available from Mirage without any regard of the content in the game, like did with the cover of TMNT1 on the NES (which was originally from an actual issue and was also used for the JP flyer of the arcade game). I'm pretty sure the TMNT3 cover was used elsewhere as well.

Nah, not this time. See how Manhattan is floating in the air? Thats the story of the game. Never happened anywhere else.

And now that I look closer, Casey Jones is there too.

Either he and the Triceratons got cut, or they commissioned Dooney to draw it and didn't care what it was as long as it looked good.

Where do you see Casey Jones?

Left, behind the Triceraton.

To the left of the Triceraton.

>bk2/sor2

Probably my favorite beat-em-up since childhood. Recently replayed it with a friend that had never touched the series and he immediately commented on how great the music was.

Never played anyone but Blaze since I'll typically do her special off-screen and just hop+down attack (the chop) to stun enemies and grapple. It's cheesy but it works.

>Nah, not this time. See how Manhattan is floating in the air? Thats the story of the game. Never happened anywhere else.
You're right. I just noticed it right now and was going to write an addendum.

I'm pretty curious how a Japanese company like Konami got a hold of all these foreign properties (e.g. TMNT, Simpsons, Bucky O'Hare, X-Men, Asterix, G.I. Joe) and how they handled their development. I would imagined their U.S. subsidiary took care of of the actual licensing deal and then they would sent the developers instructions of what their client wanted via an interpreter.

I never really looked at TMNT1 game cover but you're right. None of that happens in the game.

It should have been a picture of them diffusing bombs underwater.

>It should have been a picture of them diffusing bombs underwater.

Along with a faint image of an angrily weeping child. That game pissed me off as a kid.

Looks fun. Makes me wish I had a Sega when I was growing up.

Lol, me too. I hated that part so fucking much.

I will never understand why everyone has trouble with the bomb diffusing level. It's not that hard.

Turtle power

What are some of your favourite (recent-ish) beat 'em ups?

Dragon's Crown is really fun. Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim were good too. I'm still looking for more good ones though.

Batman the brave and the bold (wii and ds) are both fucking solid. Thor for DS, too.

Haven't heard of it before but I just watched some gameplay videos and it looks awesome!

Scott Pilgrim